Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    It's not even close.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with Brian O'Neill from the IIHS, along with visiting his test sites on two occasions. There is no question that IIHS is substantially ahead of NHTSA. O'Neill is passionate and almost crazy about safety. Ths same applies to his second in command--Adrian Lund.

Especially with Bush in charge, NHTSA's funding is behind that of the IIHS, thanks to the insurers ponying up some big dollar support. IIHS's philosophy is to continue to push the envelope with testing methodology, so they force carmakers to progressively increase their own investments on behalf of safety. I wouldn't exactly compare O'Neill to Ralph Nader, but there are some similarities in terms of their tenaciousness in pushing for safety. Safer cars mean lower costs for insurers---so the industry has a vested interest in funding IIHS's mission.

IIHS is ahead of NHTSA in so many areas it isn't even close---offset barrier testing at 40mph vs. non-offset testing, rollover methodologies for SUVs, head restraint standards, side impact protection, anti-theft technology, and even improved automotive repair standards. IIHS is also directly connected with testing completed in other industrialized nations around the world, and it is a leading member of RCAR (Research Council for Automotive Repairs). IIHS does not work with other governments. Although he won't publicly admit it, Dubya is not a big fan of NHTSA because it's efforts ultimately add costs to business.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Now let's not get any further into things that are not specifically RL related, okay?

Back to our subject...
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Pat, I believe cstiles response and our brief discussion of the crash test results is very germaine to the RL and its direct competitors. We are looking forward to the Institute's side testing and results foe the RL. Since the RL had only been fully tested by one of the two testing organizations, it is a legitimate question as to which of the organizations might be more credible. I for one welcome opinions on this as most of us have little knowledge other than reading the test results when they come out.

Here's hoping for an RL "double" when it is finally tested in the all important side test by the Institute. Then it will match the A6 and exceed the M35.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is not the place to debate IIHS vs NHSTA and it's not the place to get into the political forces behind those agencies.

Our subject is the RL sedan. We have a News & Views board where in depth examination of the crash testing methodology is appropriate.

If you or anyone else wants to discuss this further, let's take it offline instead of continuing to keep this discussion off-track.

Thanks.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I would agree not to extend this subject as pertains to the comparison between agencies but cstiles information was excellant and did lend credibility to distinguishing the DIFFERENCE. And like hendjaz look forward as we all do to the results of the RL side crash tests with IIHS.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 9
    I got my RL on April 1. The manual says change the oil every 7500 miles; dealer says they know what Honda recommends and they respectfully disagree and recommend 3750 mile intervals. When I pushed the service manager, he said he would ignore the message lights and let the dealer's computer dictate what to do.

He also says that for the TL, Honda recommends changing the oil but not the filter (!) at 3750 mile intervals and both at 7500 mile intervals which he thinks is ridiculous.

This is a very reputable dealer.

Thoughts?

David B in CT
  • acraandyacraandy Member Posts: 8
    1st off: You can not change the oil too often, however you can wait too long.

That being said:
    If the oil says 7500 miles and you follow that guideline to the number I believe you will not have any issues. If you do have an issue, you will be able to produce evidence that you followed the guidelines.
    I (and others at my dealership) use the 7500 mile intervals as a feature that seperates the RL cost of ownership from other cars in the same price range.
    You are basically dealing with a disagreement between the people who designed, engineered, manufactured, tested and warranteed the engine and the person who sells it. I tend to agree with the former.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Your dealer is full of it. He wants to pad his profit margin. I would not patronize this dealer because they have shown that they do not have your best interest at heart. :mad:
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    From multiple dealers, I heard that the first initial oil change should not be performed until the first owner's manual change interval. That point is clearly indicated in the section regarding the break-in of the car.

The reason is that the first initial oil fill at the factory includes a special oil additive to aid in the break-in of the engine.

??? Anybody have knowledge of that?

Also...I agree to the concept that oil is cheap enough to change on a more frequent basis. I subscribe to the 5k rule...as it is more frequent than the 7500...but not where it will not consume too much of my time.
    Your information is exactly right on the FIRST oil change at 7,500 miles due to the special additive to that break-in oil. After that it really becomes a personal choice comfort level under 7,500 and you'll get different answers from service managers and mechanics depending on their preferences. (I personally like to keep changing out the oil and filter more frequently than 7,500 miles. My 2nd change was at 10,500 along with a tire rotation.
    Interesting thing about oil changes. I owned a '93 Acura Vigor LS with a 2.5L 5 cylinder engine. It burned oil and I had to put a quart or 2 in between oil changes which were about every 4,000 miles. A great little car never the less and when I see them on the road now the driver is usually a young Hispanic male and the cars are flawless with after market rims and tinted glass windows. :)
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    My dad was a mechanic, and told all of us kids, if you change oil frequently, those Japanese cars will run forever. :)

I am a true believer in frequent oil changes, especially when you pay so much for a nice car.
  • blindlemonblindlemon Member Posts: 2
    wiper noise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from dealer's service. I purchased my RL one month ago. I took it in this morning for a "sit in" appointment for the wiper. The driver side wiper is squeeking loudly over the windshield (louder when the windshield is wet). They replaced blade but same problem. They washed windshield with solvent but same problem. They asked me if I wanted to wait while they replaced the entire assembly but same problem. (they thought the angle of the current blades to the windshield might be out of spec causing the vibration).

The service manager is going to research with Acura engineering. I told him the blade noise is unacceptable.

I have put nothing on the windshield (raindance etc) I have only cleaned with Invisible Glass cleaner

Any ideas on what may be the cause.
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    I'm sick of Consumer Reports always bashing the RL. The RL was rated 9th of 13 in its class, with comments suggesting it is bland and that the controls are confusing. About the worst comment they could muster was that the turning radius was too wide. So what? If you look at the stats given for several cars side by side in the article, you can see that the RL was the fastest in the group (0 to 60 reported in the article at 6.9 seconds), the safest in the group, and was "recommended" by Consumer Reports. But despite the lack of any basis, they still claim it fails to rank with the other tested models. Consumer Reports has said the same things for every year it has tested the RL, yet the RL has nearly the highest resale value in the tested models. Consumer Reports is biased against the six cylinder engine, yet they barely comment now that AWD is out, and with 300HP and 0 to 60 in 6.9 seconds, why is the 8 cylinder engine needed? I love the car. This is my third Acura, following 2 Hondas. Consumer Reports has lost credibility with me.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    This is my third Acura ... Consumer Reports has lost credibility with me.

I have also owned three Acura's (two MDX's and a TL-S). I am in the market for a new sedan and have been researching for a while and been on numerous test drives. I find the RL styling bland and the control layout to be less than optimal. One of the things I disliked the most about my TL-S was its large turning radius; it was way larger than my MDX :blush: Turning radius matters to me.

Regarding CR, I value their objective measurements as well as their subjective opinion - its just another research tool. Also I do not understand your comment about V8s - the entire comparison was V6s (all the cars were V6s) :confuse:
  • sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    Anyone know how to get the list of 540 voice activated commands avail on the RL? I can only find about 50 in the manual. . .
    I agree CR is a very credible organization, and a valueble research tool. If they don't like the RL, and you do, buy the RL. My impression with CR's analysis, is that they really like the TL as a much better value than the RL.
    There was in-depth discussions on the Luxury Performance Sedan forum within the last week and I side with the credible bunch that don't put a whole lot of confidense in CR.

You can put my Celestial Silver RL in the middle of a plethora rainbow pack of M35's and to me the styling of that RL blows away the bunch (Inside and out)! IMHO :)
    If one is looking for justification for what they bought then of course they will like the magazines that echo their own opinions and blow off the magazines that offfer a differing perspective :blush: For those who are seeking information, ALL the magazines offer that. Car & Driver, Edmunds, CR, etc are all useful information sources for those who are looking for information.

Of course M lovers wanting their egos stroked will pan Edmunds and RL owners wanting an attaboy will pan CR :surprise: :shades:
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    FWIW, if Consumer Reports confirmed the sky was blue, I would question them. Their sanctimonious attitude combined with their refusal to admit mistakes clearly indicates to me that their opinions are not worth the paper on which they are printed. Let them tell you which blender to buy but if you want information about cars, stick with the folks who know of what they speak.....Motortrend, Automobile, Car & Driver, Edmunds, et al. The car guys aren't going to tell you which hair dryer works best because they don't have the time to be bothered. Their focus is cars, cars and cars. And while the RL has not been an across the board hit with all of these guys, at least we have honest opinions based on knowledge and experience. With Consumer Reports we have to wonder if the test driver is heading back to the lab to find out which dishwashing liquid works best on grease and makes his hands feel softest.
    With Consumer Reports we have to wonder if the test driver is heading back to the lab to find out which dishwashing liquid works best on grease and makes his hands feel softest.

What a joke :blush: :sick: This line of BS is pure satire right?

Its amazing to me the folks who suggest that CR is not about cars :confuse: The guys who test hairdryers are NOT the ones who test cars :blush: Anyone who throws out that old strawman arguement is deluded. :confuse:

I trust CR who pays for the cars themsleves, buying them off the lot a whole LOT more than I do the "professional" car mags who have had the cars donated to them by the magazines biggest advertisers :surprise: At least at CR there is absolutely no conflict of interest involved in any of their reports!

If folks do not like CR then fine, don't read it. They are simply another independant research tool. Another thing that amazes me are the folks who trash CR's car reviews but laud thier repair record histories of cars.
    Repair record histories of cars is simple fact gathering and there isn't quantifiable or subjective or passionate info findings involved.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Yes, let me second the post that said that the guys who test the cars at CR do not test hair dryers or washing machines. They are technically trained people who test just cars. They buy their cars anonymously from dealers rather than getting cars from the manufacturer which might be hopped up for the review, etc. They have no agenda, no conflict of interest, no vested interest in any outcome. Are they human? Can they make mistakes? Sure. I thought their review of the Lexus GS300 was unduly critical, for example. They are subject to biases like everybody else, but they are not corrupt, bought off, bribed, or influenced by anything but their own reactions to their own tests.

By the way, read in Motor Trend that the RL will be getting a V-8. In 2011.
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    As the person who started this discussion, let me first say that I do not claim there is any fraud or willful misconduct on the part of CR. In fact, their empirical data, which is not subject to opinion or bias, demonstrates that the RL has some of the best statistics, including performance, reliability and safety, of all of the tested cars.

I have been a subscriber of CR for many years, and my observation is that CR gets an opinion about a particular line or model of car, and year after year says the same thing about the car, regardless of substantial changes in the car, which other evaluators recognize and give due credit for.

Another example of this is my wife's Chevy Suburban. We owned a '96, and it was unreliable, and not a very good car. CR gave a fairly brutal, but accurate assessment of its shortcomings. We traded the 96 in for a 2002, and substantial improvements had been made, which other evaluators lauded. In fact, the entire chassis was redesigned, and the entire ride was changed. We still own it and it's a good car--although it could never compare to my RL! When the CR report came out, all the black marks for various components in the Suburban had been changed to red, indicating above average responses and performance. It truly was a totally different and improved car.

If you look at the narrative on the 2002 Suburban from CR, they even continue to use the exact same wording as the 96 evaluation and make no mention of the improved performance or styling, instead choosing to focus on their preconceived notions of what they believe the car is and how it performs. That is all I am saying--CR appears to stick with its preconceived ideas of the car and does not allow the data to affect its conclusions.
    There's something to what you say about CR wedded to their views of cars regardless of the change. But you can't generalize. For example, the previous BMW 530 they loved & said it was one of the best cars they ever tested. When the current 530 came out, they criticized and downrated it

About reliability ratings they are sometimes inconsistent. For example, when a new Japanese model comes out (e.g., Camry, Accord, etc) they say its predicted reliability is very good or excellent. But when a new AMerican model comes out, they refuse to rate its reliability and withhold recommendation of the car, saying under reliability: "new model."
    For the longest time some people jested that CR was the paid marketing arm for Toyota :surprise: Everyone has a bias and a product's past performance is certainly a "legitimate" basis for a bias. Clearly what many claim to be a pro Toyota/Lexus bias did not help the new GS much :blush:
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    The 2006 Acura RL will have a Technology Package for the RL. The Technology Package will have:
    •Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) - uses a grille-mounted radar unit, motorized seatbelt E-pretentioners on the driver’s and front passenger’s seats and an automatic braking system to monitor potential frontal collisions and help reduce the impact on occupants by alerting the driver, tensioning the seatbelts and slowing the vehicle.
    •Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – To compensate for changing traffic flow, ACC adjusts vehicle speed automatically by applying throttle and/or brake to maintain a consistent following distance.
    •Michelin PAX Run-Flat tires - helps provide enhanced safety and security with continuous mobility of up to 125

Finally Acura is giving its flagship sedan more features. The 2006 Lexus GS/IS has all of these features already and is cheaper. This package is optional like on the Lexus and Toyota. Hopefully this helps Acura have better sales. Even the 2005 Toyota Avalon and Sienna have Dynamic Laser Cruise Control already and the Sienna even has run-flats on AWD models. Finally Acura gave it to its RL. But in its catergory, the RL and GS are the only car models that have radar cruise control and pre-collision system available that are known so far. The 2006 Acura RL will be better than the 2005 model.
    bartalk, were you serious about the V-8...careful...some of us may be prone to believe you. It seems a little unusual to predict 6 model years ahead...hell we didn't get all of the info on the 2005 until it sat in the showroom. ;)
  • spinningwheelsspinningwheels Member Posts: 6
    We're ready to purchase and have decided on the Lakeshore Silver exterior, although it was a difficult choice between the Celestial Silver, Desert Mist and Lakeshore. We have seen it with Ebony interior and like it but always felt that a dark interior would be too warm in the summer. We would like to see the Lakeshore with a taupe interior before purchasing, but none of the 3 dealers within 100 miles has one. Has anyone seen both interiors in the Lakeshore and have an opinion to offer? The black interior has a rich look and we're not sure about the taupe.

We had an extended test drive - all weekend - and enjoyed it tremendously! It felt somewhat noisy and a little rough on a bad piece of highway, but otherwise it's wonderful. Our cell phones even paired with no problem.

One problem yesterday, we received a message saying there was no keyless detected and we would be unable to restart the car if it was turned off. We drove home, stopped the engine, got out and started all over again. It worked fine. In addition, the radio wouldn't come on. Nothing but "enter code". To make a long story short, we finally found the "code" on a little card in the glove box among all of the manuals, etc, and was able to enter it and the radio was immdiately operable. Has anyone had a similar experience? Not the best experience, but we're still buying! We will, however, memorize the code!

Thanks for any assistance with the interior colors.
  • jsmaz1jsmaz1 Member Posts: 16
    I just picked up my Celestial Silver with Ebony and feel that its a great combination. I prefer it over the Taupe because it seems like the match is perfect with the darks and silvers, both inside and outside. I just didnt have the same feeling of cohesiveness with the Taupe.

It's a personal preference, so one person could like it one way, another an entire 180! Good luck.
    Thank you. I have seen the Celestial Silver with Ebony and it is striking. The black has an elegant look. It would be the first choice, but it seems as if 9 out of 10 cars here are silver. I thought the Lakeshore would be a little different exterior.
    Ebony looks excellent with it, too, but my wife thinks Taupe might be good, also.

It's some car! I don't know whether I like the car -- engine, SHawd, etc., or the toys more --navigation, XM or bluetooth. Great package!
    Im very disappointed that they are packaging Run Flats with ACC and CMBS; I do not want run flats. While ACC and CMBS are somewhat useful, I have it on my FX35, they are not must have options for me. In any event based on what these options cost on other cars (e.g. M-series) Acura can't charge more than $2000 for the whole package. Even at that I'd have to pass due to the Run Flats. :blush:
    We did the entire 180.... celestial silver with taupe. You are right about personal preference...I'm the one pushing headstrong for the car and my wife was the one who really liked the taupe with the silver. She loved our saddle interior on the TL so I knew ebony would be a tough sell. Actually the black exterior was our 2nd choice and with black we would have ordered ebony for sure. (For our tastes taupe blends extremely well with the celestial siver.)
  • formulaformula Member Posts: 17
    I own a lakeshore + taupe combination. I personally prefer the lighter colored interiors in the RL. The taupe interior blends very well with the wood trim, and lighter colors have an elegance that I don't see in black.

It is all personal opinion, but the fact that dealers don't have this combination might indicate that it is more popular.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    can someone tell me the three finger code thanks forgot it
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    In the consumer guide magazine that came out didn't they knock the Acura RL for having a three foot more on its turning radius than some of the other luxury sedans they included. That seems like a lot. I am thinking about buying one and would appreciate input on whether that is something to consider. I drive a lot around town and make a lot U-turns!

I also thought it was strange that they placed the Acura TL in the same test category as the RL? Does that make sense to anyone and so why not just buy the TL at 15,000 less if they rate it number 2 behind Infinity? Sounds like TL is the care maybe to get instead of RL if you read their report.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Also in the magazine they mentioned the lights weren't as good as some of the others. I can't recall exactly, but something like you couldn't see objects in the road at night very well.

Anybody out there with a 2005 RL that can comment on night driving and if the lights are good or what?
    Thank you, jjacura and formula, for your help.

Formula, you may have a point about the taupe being more popular since we don't see any of it. Black interiors seem to be plentiful.
    jjacura: Yes, I was serious about an RL V-8 coming several years down the road. Saw it in a note in the current issue of Motor Trend. Also, in the current issue of Automotive News, a Honda official strongly suggests that they may be working on a V-8.
    I also thought it was strange that they placed the Acura TL in the same test category as the RL?

CR did not test the TL with the same group of AWD cars that included the RL. CR recently changed the way they score cars; there is now a standard measure that allows for comparisons to other tests. The recent comparo was AWD Luxury Sedans (RL, M35, A6, GS300, and STS). However because of the standardized scoring the final list could include other luxury cars tested earlier (e.g. BMW, LS430, and the TL).

BTW, I really disliked the turning radius in my old '02 TL-S. Not sure I can live with the RL's either :blush:
    Yes Bartalk, I heard from our good friend Acuraphile and he confirmed it as well, an aluminum 4.2 litre V-8. I'm a little backlogged on the car mags...we are having a busy summer. Daughter is up visiting from Houston with "The Girls" and we are having a blast...State Fair, Custard Stands, Pizza parlors...etc...will need to go on a diet soon! :P

The low beam headlights. A few of us have mentioned that there should be some kind of adjustment made because it seems that they are not focusing enough light and wondering what can be done about it. Anyone have the low beams adjusted yet? The brights are fine.
  • sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    "The low beam headlights. A few of us have mentioned that there should be some kind of adjustment made because it seems that they are not focusing enough light and wondering what can be done about it."

I actually adjusted mine myself. It was very easy. Under the hood there's a screwdriver hole in the plastic housing just above the headlight unit. It shows which way to turn the screwdriver for up or down. There is a rubber gasket in the hole, so a large shank screwdriver will fit snug enough into the hole to turn the dial. It took about 10 twists and now my low-beam xenons are terrific (without blinding on-coming traffic)! A must for all new RL owners. .
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    "What a joke :blush: :sick: This line of BS is pure satire right?"

If anything, I'd probably say my comments were sarcastic. But my intent was to make a point and apparently I did. However, do you feel that this forum is an appropriate place to be insulting? "Deluded"???

As I said, for what it's worth, Consumer Reports will play no role in any decision I make regarding a new car. I continue to encourage everyone to seek other opinions as well. After all, how many times has CR been taken to task for making false statements about their test cars? I seem to recall at least two.

And while it's fine if Consumer Reports calls a product a piece of crap beware if they give something a glowing review. Why? Because CR refuses to allow anyone to quote them. Do so and CR files a lawsuit. Sorry my dears, I don't have time for such hypocrisy and self-righteousness. Note to Consuder Reports, it's only an opinion, not a divine judgment. Get off the cross, we need the wood.

Now, stepping down off my soapbox, y'all can harbor whatever opinion you want about CR. But please don't belittle mine simply because you don't agree.
  • flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    Does or have anyone had a problem with any window in their 05 RL not lowering? My RL has this problem. The car is in service now and the service manager told me he has two other cars with the same problem but different windows. I would love to pass on a solution. I want my car back! Anyone?
    Tell me where has CR been accused of false statements? Peope quote CR all the time, what are you talking about? Make statements of fact, tell me where has CR ever been considered biased? If anything, CR is the most unbiased place of infor in the car world.
  • washdcguywashdcguy Member Posts: 17
    To anyone who believes that CR's opinions on cars is highly worthwhile, you have my unending sympathy. CR's automotive division takes its marching orders from David Champion and Alan Hanks, two rather opinionated individuals, who have long appeared to "guide" the general direction of all CR car reviews that are eventually published. The review of the RL was total hogwash. For example, it's navigation system is much more intelligently laid out than the Infiniti's (as previous CR opinions of Honda systems attest to), is better at recognizing spoken commands, and is accessible while en-route (not just while stopped on the side of the road). But these items were either incorrectly reported or not mentioned in the comparison test. Equally disturbing was the failure to mention the ease of using spoken commands for climate, audio, and essential controls. Instead, the focus was placed on the central layout that Mr. Champion and Hanks appear to dislike. Noise is substantially higher in the Infiniti, especially at idle, but was passed over. Etc. etc. Shame.

Because other than its "God-like" opinion of itself, CR is a useful publication when it comes to paints, household products, and the like. However, to take its opinions regarding automobiles, as anything other than just another opinion, is laughable. It's frequency of repair records are tremendously skewed because of its subscriber base (unlike more objective reports than are still available via the internet and other consumer organizations). CR doesn't do objective surveys of the car buying public. It merely sends out "quickie" check off lists to those who already subscribe and buy into the CR mystique. (I know because though I continue to subscribe and get those little check off lists.) But also, over the years, people well acquainted with the publication have told me what sections to view with suspect eyes. If you truly believe CR knows automobiles that well, by all means follow its reports like dogma, like gospel itself.

But I strongly recommend that anyone investing in expensive automobiles draw from many sources and in the end, make evaluations based on his/her own personal experiences and preferences. You will be the one sitting in that car, driving on the highway, going to and from work, picking up the kids, and so on. CR's staff will not be in the car with you. CR is just one tool. Nothing more. (Though it is high on CR's agenda that you view it as the only source to go to; an important part of its funding drives and continued existence rests on your assumptions that it is virtually infallible.) But it is not the final source by any means, especially when it comes to automobiles.

This little diatribe was, of course, just another opinion.
    Not just because I agree with you about CR but more importantly my respect goes out to you for standing up for yourself against the flippy remarks. I have been a little mystified by the "Turncoat" attitude of your assailant anyway. And yes, we indeed do need the wood!
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    A while back, I was in contact with one of the AutoWeek columnists. He said that the Honda engineers were adamant about turning out a V-8 because of its fundamental imbalance. The rumored V-8 is no surprise however, considering the enormous pressure generated by the snide comments of the auto mag writers. I can't help but note the negative bias of a writer who lauds the RL and then, parenthetically, asks: "So where's the V-8?" It's like a tic. They can't contain this dig!
    My RL's V-6 is just purring along - never asking why it hasn't got two more sisters :)
    My friend Acuraphile...I will no doubt replace the RL before 2011 and have no problems with the VTec 6. It is a great engine. I'm wondering though, in light of what I paid for a full tank of gas about 1 hour ago, whether or not Acura will bring to us a Hybrid Luxury Performance sedan? (Or does the term "Performance" necessarily negate a Hybrid potential.) Any thoughts on that subject? I believe Lexus has some hybrids coming soon.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    Have others of you encountered a strange problem with the paint on the 05RL i.e., getting tacky in spots?

We noticed a spot on the driver's side right front panel that looked sticky - but we were not sure whether it was the paint - or something else. After trying to remove it with a spray McGuires product that claims to remove different types of spots... we were convinced it was the paint.... not something else. We are wondering if this is a general problem...or just one confined to our vehicle...which in every other way has been quite wonderful.