Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I have a very reliable source that says first week in October.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    When do we have a list of the official modifications ?
    When do we have a list of the official modifications ?

http://hondanews.com/CatID3004
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Do you have an Acura dealer in your area that you consider reliable. (No sarcasm here). Are you still in the hunt for an RL? I still think you will be happier with this car, and the '06 should prove to have all the bugs out and be equipped with some additional toys. It will be interesting to see what their MSRP is going to be in light of current 2005 prices at the dealers.
    LMBRL
    Delmar
    Thanks for your recommendation...I'll see if I can find a good one. JJ
    LMBRL
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Any time... do a 'google' search under 'plastic bumper repair'.

The one I use here near my home in Del Mar, CA is really really good. My past Infiniti was 'bumped' in the rear while parked and left indentations from the other's license plate. They were able to patch and repaint. Perfectly. I have sent many over...each and every job...clean looking and a fraction of the cost.

It is just great how they can computer match your paint. If you look at the inside of your driver side...there is a paint code. They punch it in.....magic....color matched.
    Do you have an Acura dealer in your area that you consider reliable?

Yep I've bought 3 Acura's from John Eagle in Houston :shades: Great dealership :)

Still undecided about what I want to do. A major part of the "problem," besides not knowing which sedan to get, is that I do not need a new vehicle at all. I'm merely in the want stage, not the need stage :blush:
  • flyaway123flyaway123 Member Posts: 9
    1. Does anyone have the specifications page for the Acura RL with A-SPEC? I'd like to know what specific parts are added/upgraded to include any under body parts.

2. Are there any RL w/A-SPEC owners out there? If so, what's your review of the car as a owner?
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    It may just be me, but it is hard to understand WHY Acura does not put the ventilated seats in the RL. I was "almost" sure they would add it for 2006. It appears to me that most all newly designed high end cars have the ventilated seats. Why offer them in Canada but not the US???????????????
    I visit my daughter in HOUSTON and coincidently we saw the first 2004 TL there and our first 2005 RL at the same dealership a year later. That would be Gilman. We were there again in June and saw their new dealership on 45 just north of 1960. Looks like auto row through there now.
    Best question I've seen in a while!!! Why Canada and not us? The states had unusually hot weather this summer. Even Wisconsin had far more 90+ days than usual and with high humidity you have to keep the air on. The ventillated seats would have been great this year! (Not to mention it isn't in the plans for 2006 either!!) :sick:
  • jsakabuckjsakabuck Member Posts: 11
    The best explaination I've heard as to the reasons behind ventilated seats in Canada and none offered in USA was that XM Satellite Radio was not licensed to broadcast its signal within Canada. So Americans got XM Radio and Canadians got ventilated seats. I read recently that XM finally was licensed to broadcast its signal in Canada so perhaps Canadians will be able to enjoy XM Radio for 2006. But that still leaves unanswered when Americans will be able to enjoy ventilated seats.
    We've had many discussions on this subject in the past. Maybe our buddie Bodble from Canada is still around and can tell us if the 2006 Canadian RL will come equipped with XM!
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    what is the psychological impact of knowing that the new SAE ratings rules required RL horses to be toned down to 290 something? I know the actual power is what it was and what it is which is all the same, but to read 290 instead of 300... what will you think now?

ksso
    Check out the article linked below from The Detroit News. The article claims that the new test standard will hurt the Asian makes more than the domestic. In fact some domestic models (e.g. Cadillac STS and XLR) had an increse in horsepower. Should prove to be interesting time on car lots next fall.

What will be the response to customers who ask, "Why did the RL have a drop in hp with the new standard but the STS go up?" Or when a shopper asks, "Why did the MDX lose power in '06 but the XLR gain power?"

Good questions, can't wait to hear the answer offered up by sales reps. Some folks WILL wonder why under the new standard some makes (e.g. Toyota, Honda) consistently went DOWN; while other makes (e.g. Ford, GM) had a tendency to go UP. Human nature dictates that these questions and concerns WILL be raised. One can easily conclude that certain makes appear to have exaggerated hp under the old/previous "standard" and they will have to deal with it.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    some manufacturers are only revising their SAE ratings when they launch a new powertrain, but only toyo and hon seem to have retested their entire line of cars. i wonder why. the rumour i heard on another forum was that nissan is delaying retesting to SAE cuz there could be a ton of inflated numbers??

My interest is still primarily in how the RL will feel without the 300 horses on paper. I wonder how the M, the GS, the 5, the E and the A6 will do too...

ksso
    some manufacturers are only revising their SAE ratings when they launch a new powertrain, but only toyo and hon seem to have retested their entire line of cars.

It is expensive to retest. Most domestic makes, as the article pointed out, have been understating hp anyway (or being conservative) so that they can get way with the old numbers. The only Infiniti I am aware of that has been retested is the FX45 and its numbers went up slightly. The M and the GS are brand new (2006, released early '05) so I assume the new standard was used.
  • tonyinoctonyinoc Member Posts: 23
    I have had my RL for 15 weeks now and the car is just shy of 15,000 miles. Just got back from a trip from SoCal to Colorado and drove 1000 miles both Friday and yesterday. So far, I have had the oil changed twice and the rear drive fluid once after "B6 Service Due" came up on the info screen. Also, the driver's door weather stripping along the body side had to be replaced under warranty due to cracking. The dealer, Thomas Acura in West Covina, has been great.

I also have some minor damage from road debris, but this is due to the number of miles I drive and is to be expected. The front bumper/fascia piece that holds the license bracket had to be ordered because it got broken by a tire I hit on the freeway. My best mileage is 30.8 for highway driving and worst average is 21, usually for long-term idling and slow driving on congested freeways.

I still have no complaints about the car, and it is comfortable on long trips as well as lengthly commutes. As a contrast, my friend with the new Audi A6 4.2 has to have the transmission replaced (6-8 week wait from Germany) and the windshield replaced (also a long wait from Germany) (cracked from rocks). So I'm still happy with my decision to buy the RL.
    OK so... Personally I like the way it sounds (The 2005 RL has a 300 HP 212 cu-in SHOC VTEC V-6 engine) But if you check your manual you won’t find 300 HP in the specifications there. The informed know that there is much more to a car's performance than HP, but when marketing to the masses, HP seems to be the number that manufacturers lead with. Most people do not understand that torque and gearing are more important functions of how a car accelerates and horsepower is only a measurement which mostly relates to top speed. Nevertheless perception is reality. ;)
    LMBRL more than ever these days. :)
    I have had my RL for 15 weeks now and the car is just shy of 15,000 miles.

:surprise: Will that extrapolate to 50,000 miles per year? :surprise:
    "My best mileage is 30.8 for highway driving"

Great mileage for an AWD luxury performance sedan! Tony do you drive 70-75 on the interstates? Was that mileage influenced by coming out of the mountains or through the flats maybe in Nevada?
    Too bad your friend had to have his transmission replaced in the A-6 but no car is immune as we read back in January about the poor chap who bought a brand new RL and had his power train lock up on him within hours of taking delivery. Apparently the tranny was dry..no fluid from the manufacturer. And you can best believe quality control at Acura was tweeked up another notch after that happened. He also had his car replaced (Not repaired). Isn't it great to drive this car...free from any of these major problems. :)
    Either extrapolating, interpolating, estimating, guessing, or assuming, it's about 50,00 per year; it is, unfortunately, what I drive every year, and roll over my cars every two years just before the 100,000 mile mark. I beat up these great cars, costs a fortune, can't lease, and is why I place reliability first on the list, because I don't want to be on the side of any road, especially on the long lonely stretches without cell phone or OnStar coverage.
    Well, to be honest, I have a lead foot, and am rarely under 80 when the freeway is wide open. I even had the car over 100 a time or two (disclaimer: only when at risk to self only). I'm sure the mileage is better coming back (downhill) to California than traveling out (uphill), but the speedometer is lucky to register lower speeds. Also, the speed limit is 75 in parts of Arizona, and you gotta figure 5 to 10 over won't excite too many traffic enforcers. I did notice better mileage when using cruise control, but I like the personal touch of the accelerator and rarely use cruise.
    You are right about any year/make/model/options having problems, and my first choice this year was the Audi A6 4.2 with all options (had other Deutsche makes, but never an Audi, and was impressed after several test drives), but I would have had to order one with about a 12-week wait and did not want to do so.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    "Also, the speed limit is 75 in parts of Arizona, and you gotta figure 5 to 10 over won't excite too many traffic enforcers"

Tony:

The limit on the Long Island Expressway is 55 mph, yet the traffic flow appears to be 75-80 and sometimes faster. I'm convinced that, with rare exception, the state troopers .concern themselves with weavers and DWI patterns. It's hard to restrain the RL from kicking up its heels and I usually find myself loping along, hardly passing anyone, at 77 or thereabouts. Ironically, I've been nabbed for doing 45 in a 35 mph zone but never for doing 25 over the limit on an expressway.

I am curious about your comment regarding OnStar coverage. I naively assumed that there are no holes in the coverage save those that take place under tunnels or other covered construction. So, where can one expect to find no coverage - and why?

Aside to JJ: LMBRL :)
  • fighterwsofighterwso Member Posts: 15
    Long Island to Florida and back ~2300 miles -- 29 MPG! (In August / with AC on). Of course, NJ turnpike sucked -- slow moving! Other then that -- I maintained within 10 MPH over the speed limit.

18,000 miles on the car. No problems. Love the features (Nav system / Nav traffic / XM / AWD / comfort / Zagot's in Nav system).

My wife recently leased a Lexus -- If the wheels are moving --> It locks you out of many of the functions Acura allows! (Nav system, etc ... even the calendar!) Therefore, even if you have a 'navigator' in the passenger seat -- they can't make changes!)
    Do you know if this is true with all Lexus Nav systems? It's always good to have fodder for the Lexus owners...If you know what I mean? ;)
    Re: OnStar - It is my understanding OnStar depends on other cell phone carriers for a signal and is not a satellite-based phone, so coverage depends on the area and whether coverage is available. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though. I'll try it out next time I'm on Hwy 50 in northern Nevada.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Do you know if this is true with all Lexus Nav systems? It's always good to have fodder for the Lexus owners...If you know what I mean?

Based on things I've read and conversations with Lexus and Infiniti owners, both these makes totally lock you out of your Nav system while moving (over 2 mph, I believe). It would be a royal pain since I often program my Navi on the fly. But since neither Lexus or Infiniti Nav systems are as easy to program as the RL's (in my opinion), maybe it makes sense, from a safety standpoint.
    NebGuy: You've mentioned how much you enjoy using your Navi around the DC area before and I can appreciate the ease as well of the RL system on the move.
    Dadcat:For Lexus owners though, I would be inclined to decline hacking in by pushing 6 screen buttons every time I start my car but if thats easy enough for you dadcat then more power to you my man. (I'd probably blow out the computer system anyway trying that!) :sick: :surprise:
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    I am joing the club this week. Based on the numbers I have seen this seems like a great deal. I want to know what you think....

2005 Acura RL
    36 Months
    15000 miles a year
    $5000 total out of pocket, includes first month payment
    $500 a month...., taxes and everything included... no hidden charges........

The dealer wanted to make a last deal before the end of the month and made this proposal. Every other RL inquiry made with 5K down came out to more than $550 a month and many of them over $600

Now my question,

I have to take from the dealer lot.

carbon grey, taup interior
    lakeshore grey, taup interior
    silver, taup interior

Which do you like... (they rest of the cars were not for me...)
    I like all 3 . (Mine happens to be Celestial silver with taupe) We selected this from the entire spectrum of choices. Its a rich, smooth silver, looks fantastic with the chrome and wheels :shades: and blends beautifully with the taupe interior.
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    I was also conflicted beteeen color choices, and went with carbon grey and taupe. I am very happy with it, and would not choose either of the two now that I've selected carbon grey. It's a great car, in any color.
  • cdallencdallen Member Posts: 3
    I have seen two claims recently that they are getting 29 and 30.8 mpg. Can others share what their typical mpg is? I am confused as to how off the epa 18/26 mpg estimates are. Thanks
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    Mine is much closer to the 18/26. Can be worse than 18 in pure short-drive city but not much over 27 for any distance.
    I got the 30.8 between Durango, Colorado and Flagstaff, Arizona, which I believe was basically downhill the whole way. Around L.A . environs it's lower.

And, with triple digit temps, I emphatically agree with those who think the ventilated seats should have been a U.S. feature.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Hey, I've got a 2002 RL and am thinking about a new one. But I hear that they've cut the intensity of the headlights. Is that correct? If true, I would be very disappointed because the lights on the car I have now are fabulous!
  • jweaver1jweaver1 Member Posts: 25
    Here is an update on my search for a RL with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires instead of the OE Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 tires. I told the dealer that if he swapped the tires, I would buy the car, but he refused! He tried to get me to buy the car as equipped, and then swap the tires out myself. I checked with a few tire shops, but none of them would give me credit for the HXMXM4’s. They said that after the car was sold and registered, they couldn’t sell the tires as new tires with a new warranty. This dealer didn’t even offer to change them for me if I bought them from Tire Rack. This would in effect increase my price by nearly $1000. I spoke to another dealer, and asked him to match the price and trade in that the first dealer had given me, and also substitute the Pilot Sport A/S tires for the HXMXM4’s, and he agreed, that is until I arrived at the dealership. After about an hour of driving and examining the RL we discussed pricing. Since we already talked about it on the phone, I thought it would be a quick discussion. It was, but not the way I envisioned it. This dealer offered me $2500 less for my trade! As I began to ask why the big drop in trade in value, and he began to give me some BS answers I got so pissed off that I just walked out. So both dealers lost a sure sale, and it is all because of GREED. It is bad enough that they cry that they don’t make any money on the trade (it just goes to auction) and the purchase price of $44.3k is such a great deal for a $50k car. They were knocking $5k off the MSRP. Hell, Subaru is reducing the prices on their leftover 2005 Outbacks by $5k. Percentage-wise that is a much better deal. Now if I only wanted an Outback…
    Since I don’t need a new car, I’ll just keep my 3-year-old Audi for another 4 years or so before passing it down to a family member. When I go shopping again at that time I won’t be trading anything in, so the process should be much smoother. If any of these dealers try to get too greedy again, I’ll walk (again). The RL is a nice car, but so are the M35x and A6, to name two. Enjoy your RLs guys (and gals). Who knows, in 4 or 5 short years I may have one too.
    I am also going to post this on the RL buying experiences discussion.
  • jsmaz1jsmaz1 Member Posts: 16
    Just do a quick post on Autotrader. My recommendation is to pay the $75 for the full feature advertisement that goes in the actual magazine AND online. Put in a few pictures of your Audi, and put your asking price. Give it 3 weeks and you will get your price without the issues regarding trade-in value to dealers.

Then, go for your deal. You are in the best position because you dont need to sell your Audi (so you wont be low balled) BUT if you sell your Audi you can easily get a GREAT deal on the Acura or other vehicles.

I just love this car! It's not the fastest off the line, but it is fast enough and has so many functional stuff which makes the commute really fun again! Just my .02cents.
    No the lights aren't any less intense but they're very sharply focused. The low beam xenons don't illuminate much over waist high but they do reach out a long way and they see around corners.
    Scott:

There were two or three posts indicating dissatisfaction with the factory low-beam adjustment. I, myself, complained of inadequate lighting - that I was outdriving my coverage. This was a recurring perception. jjacura, as well, indicated his intention of raising the low beams. Someone posted instructions to make the adjustment. My Service Manager said he would raise the beams but that Acura would not be happy about it. I am certain that he didn't do as he promised for I still have difficulty seeing the road ahead.I'm not being contentious when I state: your explanation doesn't help my problem - it just describes what you believe to be the characteristics of the low beams.I presume that you're content with the factory adjustment.

LMBRL
    LMBRL:

The only point I was trying to make is that it isn't the brightness of the lights that's the issue, that's all. The original post asked if the lights were "less intense" and they're not. If anything, they're so intense that Acura has been over-conservative in aiming them causing all the issues all of us are experiencing. I've had a couple of white-knuckle moments while driving through U-shaped terrain, too, and agree they could easily be adjusted up without causing too much hardship to oncoming drivers.

Scott
    Acuaphile:
    It was time I got back to you about my situation with the headlights. For the readers, I will paste in post # 6621 which were the instructions from SGL1:

JJAcura--"The low beam headlights. A few of us have mentioned that there should be some kind of adjustment made because it seems that they are not focusing enough light and wondering what can be done about it."

SGL1---I actually adjusted mine myself. It was very easy. Under the hood there's a screwdriver hole in the plastic housing just above the headlight unit. It shows which way to turn the screwdriver for up or down. There is a rubber gasket in the hole, so a large shank screwdriver will fit snug enough into the hole to turn the dial. It took about 10 twists and now my low-beam xenons are terrific (without blinding on-coming traffic)! A must for all new RL owners. .

I checked the area in my car and found the screwdriver hole and shined a flashlight down to the fitting. It is deep within the plastic housing and not a typical screwdriver fitting. It is a slotted full moon fitting and may require a special tool. I decided to ask my favorite service man at acura more about it when I see him. Meanwhile it would be good to hear from SGL1 again because maybe he can describe the size and type of screwdriver he said he used on this "simple" adjustment.

The whole low beam incident is peculiar to me, I told Acuraphile that even though the alumination distance appears about the same distance as my wifes Civic, it is brighter, but cut off across the top and I use my brights a lot in my neighborhood which is hilly and sans streetlights. Could it be that because of the intensity and directness of the low beam it actually requires a block off at a given height and we are just not used to it. For my comfort level something isn't right and I will stay on it till it gets resolved. JJAcura (Incidently Scott, LMBRL is not Acuraphile's name but rather something very special to us.)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to talk with people who own vehicles equipped with many gadgets and who have found the technology overwhelming at times, maybe to a point they might not use it anymore, or maybe have never used it since they bought the car.
    Please respond to jfallonedmunds.com by Wednesday, September 7, 2005 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

OK...since my last post and since I have some idle time on my hands today, I went into the garage and examined the area once again for the headlamp low beam adjustment on the RL. After adjusting the plastic housing out of the way I carefully inserted my long neck screwdriver (Standard Flat Head) into the fitting SGL1 was talking about (To my surprise the fitting accepted the screwdriver pretty well) and made a number of turns (clockwise) which is the direction they tell you elevates the beam. I used the garage wall to guage any movement and it was slight. Tonight will tell me the story and I will tweek accordingly. :shades:
    I hope I'm not the only one waiting with baited breath for the results of jjacura's attempt at headlight adjustment. I've only had my RL for a week, but I've noticed the headlight "situation" (I'd rather not call it a problem). This is my third car with HID headlights (an '02 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon and an '03 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon) both of which had bi-xenons and the cut off point on both was much higher, as I recall, and illumination was better without blinding on-coming drivers. Hopefully, Acura or perhaps the rest of us home mechanics, can do the adjustment job ourselves.
    My RL is just one week old. After years of being a real stickler for regular tire pressure checks, I'm happy to have the TPMS. Of course, old habits die hard, and I got out my digital tire pressure gauge and checked the tire pressure this morning after a chilly overnight. I found a 2 psi difference between my digital gauge and the TPMS on the car. (My gauge showed 32 fronts, 30 rears, while the TPMS indicated 30 fronts, 28 rears. Has anyone else experienced this? Can this system be adjusted? Has anyone else experienced this? Can this system be adjusted? Which should I trust.......new technology or my trusty gauge? Any input is appreciated.
    My TPMS is right on the money. As a result, I haven't pursued the adjustmnt issue.

So, as I posted this past week: My Service Manager promised to adjust the low beams, raising them slighly. He didn't do as promised. The drive west from Montauk Point has many deer crossings. At 60mph, I wouldn't have a prayer of seeing a deer in time to stop. I will go back to Acura and insist that the lights be raised. I'm reluctant to adjust them myself. If Acura increased the intensity of the lights, their first responsibility is to RL owners, not oncoming drivers. I only mean to say that the lights should be raised, per a factory bulletin, to insure the safety of both Rl and oncoming drivers An appropriate adjustment must be possible.

LMBRL.
    George and Buck.....My adjustment did not change anything (contrary to what I thought the screw was not turning.) I'm not going to mess with it and instead will be following up with Acura service within the next 2 weeks. JJ
    (lmbrl)
    Last night we dined in an area downtown called the 3rd ward. It is basically an old warehouse district including a mixture of well preserved turn of the century office buildings and during the last 15 years it has been undergoing a renovation including condo projects and new restaurants. Driving through the area in my RL I was most careful of the many j-walking Dears and visability was a major concern! ;)

George: Did you ever meet or hear one the greatest jazz trumpet players who ever lived, Bunny Berigan a local guy from Wisconsin?