Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    JJ:

Did I ever hear of Bunny Berigan? Man, he was the coolest horn player and his recording of "I Can't Get Started With you" is still played regularly!!! One of the best known trumpet riffs ever. I never met him - I was only in my teens when he organized his own band. I believe he began with Benny Goodman in the late 1930's.The last note of that tune is woinderful - a staccato blast!!! He did Wisconsin proud!!

LMBRL
  • someguy1someguy1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi all,

Took my carbon grey/taupe RL tuesday of this week. After a week with it and coming from an 03 330i I could not be happier. My BMW was a 4-door sports car but my new RL is just about as beautiful a car as I could have ever wanted. I parked next to an infiniti M35 the other night and just looked at the 2 cars. I personally feel the RL is so much better looking. There is no comparing the BMW to the RL b/c they are too different. But for where I am in my life, this is perfect.

2- questions.

1. $3000 total down, 15K a year, $588 a month (taxes included). Does this sound good?

2. This is the big question, I love my car but, a day after getting it an illuminated red line appeared running down the nav screen, in all modes. I brought it into the dealer and they definitely wanted to get the car in for a look. The one service guy said they might have to replace the unit. Then on Saturday night, the line was gone and has not reappeared. Since it is a lease, i might wait until the problem comes back. Has anyone experienced the same problem and what do you think I should do?

thanks for the help
    JT
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Sounds like your RL purchase is becoming a pleasant experience and the temporary glitch on the Nav system is hopefully history for good. I have never leased so I can't comment on your first question. (I have never experienced a Nav problem but have had a couple glitches with XM radio once cutting out completely and more recently, today the sound disappeared and I have not checked back yet to see if it has been resolved yet. It's an easy fix...you call the XM 800 number to have them REBOOT you or you go to their web site and reboot yourself.. Tomorrow I am dropping off the car to an excellant body shop to have my rear bumper abrasions repaired. Hopefully I can come back here Thursday with a good report on their work.
  • washdcguywashdcguy Member Posts: 17
    From Honda News:

"Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls."

This is a first for the iPod. No other car line (thus far) has allowed voice controlled iPod selections of any kind. The cost is listed as $250 plus dealer installation. Since I have multiple iPods and a 2005 RL, you can bet I will be contacting my dealer to see if this upgrade can also be attached to the 2005 RL's audio system. And I'll also wager that I won't be the only 2005 owner calling.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Technology for technology's sake. :sick: Why not just make the CD player compatible with MP3 disks? :confuse:
  • arizonaheatarizonaheat Member Posts: 8
    Additionally, a generic MP3 input. We've got iPods and Dell DJ in our house. On our MDX we use a converter through the casette player. There's got to be a better way...
  • memnjmemnj Member Posts: 1
    I just had the (mis)fortune of picking up my new RL yesterday and came home to find out on the web that Acura announced their iPod Music link accessory. I contacted my dealer today to see if 2005 RLs could be "upgraded" They did not have any info about this and I then called Acura Customer service at 1-800-382-2238. I was told that they only know that it will be available for 2006 models and do not have any info as to whether it could be installed on 2005 models or not. They are taking names and numbers and will pass the info on to their engineers. But they were unable to answer if the situation is already being looked into from an engineering perspective or not.
    My suggestion is for all those interested to contact customer service to let them know there is a demand out there for it.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    There is a better way....a direct digital (no casette player or FM transmitter) hookup to your existing car stereo system...and you will be able to use any handfree buttons that is in your car.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/default.asp
  • sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    "Meanwhile it would be good to hear from SGL1 again because maybe he can describe the size and type of screwdriver he said he used on this "simple" adjustment."

Sorry for the delay, guys. Here's the scoop: You'll need a fairly large screwdriver, about 3/8" diameter, to fit snugly into the hole. You'll need to push it thru the rubber gasket to get a snug enough fit to accept the twist. Remember the head of the screwdriver will not be used, it only needs to fit snug thru the washer. Expect minor pressure/torque when turning the screwdriver.

Be careful that you don't turn too many times as I did initially, but adjust both sides equally. If you're using your garage wall as a guideline, pls remember that the slightest movement will be enhanced down the road. You'll need ten turns of the screwdriver.

Park your car in a parking lot at night, take 50 steps back and make sure the headlights don't shine in your face. If they do, adjust accordingly. You'll know you went too far if passing cars flash their light at you often.

Driving my RL was great, but is now even better now that I can see everything at night! :shades:
    Has anyone purchased this phone and, if so, what has your experience been?
    It is being recommended by Acura - they claim it to be trouble free.

Thanks.
    LOW BEAM ADJUSTMENT---I'll try once more b4 letting Acura service do it. The key is, once you get it to rise... is... how far...and you seem to know what you are doing . Thanks.
    REAR BUMPER ----Picked up the RL from the body shop about 2 hours ago and I am amazed at the great job these guys did with that rear bumper. It is absolutely right on and I am a very satisfied customer of this little shop not far from where I live. The car is like new again. The paint match is perfect. :)
    The RL system IS compatible with mp3 CDs. Not mp3 DVDs, however.
    So far, so good. I picked up the phone this morning and it paired easily. Voice quality is excellent and it's fun having the speakerphone handy when not in the RL.
    I was happy to have my phone book downloaded into my new phone.

Happy weekend, all.

George
    The link provided, i.e. http://www.mp3yourcar.com/default.asp, is quite funny. When you input the type of car you have, an RL 2005 in this case, the result is a cassette tape adapter. Not only is such an adapter not digital, it doesn't even work for the RL since from 2005 models onward, there is NO tape deck.
    The comma on the end of that URL is just enough to throw off the connection. remove the comma and it works.... http://www.mp3yourcar.com/default.asp :)
  • tonyinoctonyinoc Member Posts: 23
    I have had this phone for about a month with Verizon. It was easily paired with the car and it has been trouble-free.
    Thanks, Tony. Can you tell me how to review the voice command names I put in my phone book? I didn't write them down when I entered them at the phone store - consequently don't know who's missing that I may need..

Appreciatively,

George
    The link worked the first time. The site it points to does NOT offer anything for the new RL other than a cassette adaptor. That DOESN'T work either (not that it is "digital direct" even) because the RL has no cassette deck.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    You can go to the Motorola website and download a user manual for the phone.
    DCGuy, I was just trying to correct the URL, because when I clicked on the one you posted in message #6747 it took me to "The page cannot be found". your URL had a comma at the end. Anyway not to belabor the point, you are right, it is quite funny.
    George, I believe I did my voice prompts differently than you. Did you record any voice commands in the RL's system yet or did you just put them into the phone? After I paired my phone to the RL, I sat in the car and recorded voice name prompts to the car's system. (I know this doesn't directly answer YOUR question but you got me thinking about what I had done, months ago. Like you, I didn't write down all of those recorded prompts.) The RL manual helps you load voice prompts to the car's system.
    "After I paired my phone to the RL, I sat in the car and recorded voice name prompts to the car's system.."

JJ:

I mailed you a few minutes ago re this. I did do the above, as well, but as I explained in my mail, my phone is reading my voice commands outside the car (on speakerphone), names that I never entered either in the car or into the new phone by voice command.Weird, but wonderful!

LMBRL
    George
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Any idea of how many 2005s are left out there in the country? Also, when are the 2006s coming to the dealers?

Also, do the few techno updates to the 2006 make it that much better than just getting a 2005 model? Doesn't seem like much difference, really!
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I hear '06 are coming mid-late October. I also understand the Technology Package will be an Option on the '06; so the bse '06 should be very similar to the '05 (except hopefully with all the bugs fixed).
    My dealer in Wisconsin had about 10 left. These are late 2005 production cars with all the bugs out and I think you could get a really nice buy on one. You can check with the dealer to find out when they were built. That info might be helpful as well.
    George -

I confess to laziness on this point - I haven't used the voice command phone feature yet. I hit the hot button for speed dial, and tell the car to "transfer." I haven't put anything in the car's phone database, seems like duplication of effort. Like I said, lazy.

Tony
    Tony, I don't mean to answer for George.(Our buddy will be in here soon enough, I hope) but you've touched on something that got my attention. I never knew you could tell the car to "transfer" once you have the speed dial launched on your phone. Can you describe that in a little more detail please? (For example...I sometimes speed dial from my phone but then my car's sound system will not pick up the feed and I also don't hear ANYTHING on the phone either until the person I'm dialing picks up or their answering machine takes the call. It's one of the glitches that maybe your "Transfer" procedure might remedy.
  • richmstlrichmstl Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 RL Navi with 54,000 miles. Just finished replacing power window regulators 2 and 3 - anyone else have this problem? Other than this, the car is a dream.

-Rich
    " I never knew you could tell the car to "transfer" once you have the speed dial launched on your phone."

JJ: The reason why the RL's system doesn't pick up the feed, I assume, is because you've speed-dialed right from your phone itself and never activated the "Talk" button. The HFL system didn't place the call that you want to transfer. Am I being dense when I theorize that by speed-dialing you've bypassed the HFL? When you're on the HFL and want to continue the conversation when you leave the car, you simply press the "Talk" button and say "transfer." Right?
    Grrrr. Where's my dad's old crystal set! :)
    George, Never known you to be dense my man. (I on the other hand have my moments.) I will take your info forward today as I drive to the club and back and see how the Motorola V-551 works. One thing that I have noticed along the way and see if you do 2. You can set your phone's bluetooth connection to TEMPORARY under the HANDSFREE link and the phone will automatically disengage from bluetooth when you take it away from the car. OR...you can go to Bluetooth Link under SETUP and set your POWER to ON and the phone will stay in that mode and you don't have to reset anything when you come and go from the car. The only thing I've noticed is the phone battery seems to need recharging more often with the latter. That's it for today...I'm going to TRANSFER out of here. JJ LMBRL (Look for some good investment advise in my last e-mail George. :D )
  • adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    We are looking at a slightly used 2005 RL (4,000) miles. Looking back (without going all the way to the beginning) there are several mentions of "the bugs worked out". What have been the most common? Seeing as how we are miles away from the nearest dealer I would like to know. The car was delivered originally in May of this year.

Any cautions I should check for?

Much thanks...loved driving this car. We have looked at new 5 series and E series...liked this car better than either!

Jeff
    "You can set your phone's bluetooth connection to TEMPORARY under the HANDSFREE link and the phone will automatically disengage from bluetooth when you take it away from the car."

JJ: The e-815 automatically disengages when I leave the car. I do nothing - and the same when I enter. The V-551, I gather, has a different setup.
    I still don't understand how the technology permits me to call, by name, entries from my e-815 phone book (voice commands), that were never entered into the RL's HFL system. If I'm calling Jack Jones, for example and say aloud "Jack Jones." the "Ja" syllable is "read" as though it was phonated - and then gives you three choices (entries) to choose from - the first is almost always correct. Amazin'!

LMBRL
    First you will be happy to hear that there are NO MANUFACTURER RECALLS for this vehicle. I have been reading all the posts in this forum since last September and have heard of only one major bug. It was regarding a power train that locked up and Acura replaced the car. (This happened about 10 months ago.) The so called bugs reported in here for the most part beyond that in my opinion are minor. A rattle here, electronic glitches that get repaired easily there, and maybe some dissatisfaction with the vision from the low beams (I've raised mine and they are fine now.) Once the buyer takes the time to read the owners manual and get comfortable with the car it is a dream car to own. I would want to know more about a car that has only 4,000 miles on it. Maybe you can locate the original owner and see if their story coincides with the dealers.
    jjacura -

I stumbled on this accidentally - hit the speed dial button on the E815; phone begins to dial; hit the HFL button on the wheel, the radio volume and fan speed lower and I say "transfer," and the HFL picks up the call from the phone while the dialed number is ringing. This has worked every time so far. Also, I have the Bluetooth connection on all the time so the phone pairs automatically every time I get in the car.

To adplusone: I bought my RL in May, now have over 17,000 miles and highly recommend the car. Minor problems: (1) had weather stripping replaced along driver side door (warranty); (2) XM radio went out for about a day and a half last weekend, but worked before and since (don't know if this is the module in the car or an XM transmission problem). I have never had any of the issues mentioned herein - no squeaky brakes, rattles, etc.
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    The difference in battery life between Bluetooth permanently on or temporarily on is just remarkable. And if you can set up a shortcut to the option on your phone, it's pretty easy to use temporary mode. Huge difference.
    shs111...Thanks. You've explained it more succinctly than I. There are 2 settings. TEMPORARILY ON OR PERMANENTLY ON and when I discovered this the other day it has already made a difference in the battery life. I believe what is happening when the phone is set for PERMANENT ON it is constantly searching for the car's Bluetooth signal when away and consequently burns battery life all the time. The temporarily on is an easy find on the Motorola phone..select settings select connection, select Bluetooth link, select Handsfree, then select Temporarily Power On. (It gets easier after you do it a few times) BUT IF YOU KNOW A SHORTCUT I FOR ONE WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING ABOUT IT.

tonyinoc...Thanks for the transfer info using the speed dialing with the in sync timing of the HFL button.

sidebar to George (Acuraphile)... Now were clicking! LMBRL :P
  • infinigmtinfinigmt Member Posts: 3
    I just walked out of the Montgomeryville, PA acura dealership with a choice of colors and the car for $42k. They are taking loss to unload the 05s. Maybe your dealership will too! - Ask em! What a deal! Time to chase down a few Ms, and change my user id to something more applicable! Oh, the Michelins? They suck. Poor choice of tire for this automobile.

Meanwhile, someone give me an ipod solution! It's the only thing other than a minibar missing in this superior vehicle. :shades:
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Glad you discovered this, jjacura. What I meant by shortcut: on my phone, a Motorola V551, I am able to create a "shortcut" which automates the series of commands that you're described, and place this shortcut on the welcome screen. It's one of those many features on these complicated Motorola phones that I found after nearly six months of use!
  • sgl1sgl1 Member Posts: 34
    Not sure why a couple of people are bad mouthing the Michelin Pilot MXM4. Acura tested something like 200 different tires before choosing this one. It is one of best tires available. Look at the ratings for traction, heat, and tread-life. . .this tire got some of the highest ratings offered!

Michelin created this tire for heavier sports sedans, with road noise and performance in mind. BTW: It's a very expensive tire too. At $279 each, they are high-end tires at a high-end price. Trust me, I know - I just had to replace one because of a nail in my sidewall. . :)
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    "Acura tested something like 200 different tires before choosing this one"

Are you sure about that? The Pilot MXM4's are also stock tires on my Accord 6-speed coupe, in addition to the Acura TSX, and some Acura TL's. Now they are starting to show up on some Accord sedans.

This was mostly an economic decision made by Acura/Honda based on their OEM relationship with Michelin. Since 245/50/17 is somewhat of an odd size, there aren't many options available, but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are clearly superior to the MXM4. The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is also okay (had 'em on my A4 3.0), but the Pilot Sport A/S would be my choice.

The MXM4 is not a bad tire, but this car really deserves better shoes.

This tire is currently available for around $180 each at the Tire Rack.
    Hello Cstiles...how have you been? Tire discussion time huh. DejaVu all over again as Yogi Berra would say! :D

I'm with you on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Tire Rack offers them at $212 ea. Tire Rack prices the original Equipment MXM4 for $184 so thats only $112 more for the upgrade but then you have to get the dealer to do it and we've had feedback in this forum...the dealers are resisting. :sick:

also sgl1...$279 must be your dealer's retail...I've been there! :cry:
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    JJ, I don't recall how many miles you put on your OEM Michelins before you switched to the Sport A/S. Did you have enough driving experience on the OEMs to be able to compare the two tires performance? What do you specifically like about the Sport A/S over the stock tires?

I waver back and forth on making the tire change as I have had no real issues with the stock tires but keeping reading the good reports about the Sport A/S and the Pirelli zero nero in particular, although the Pirelli would require a wheel change to accomodate. Would appreciate any specific comparisons you have experienced between the two Michelins. Thanks.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    What if you aren't able to get one that was manufactured more recently? Won't they fix the bugs for you anyway? Isn't all that covered in the warranty?
    "the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are clearly superior to the MXM4"

cstiles, I meant to ask you the same question I did jjacura regarding your specific experiences in comparing the two tires, assuming you spent some time on the stock tires before trading out to the Sport A/S tire. What specific improvements did you see? I would expect that the Sport A/S would have better handling/cornering characteristics and wondered if that has been your experience. Also any feelings about how the Sport A/S compares to the MXM4 in wet/winter traction conditions since that season is coming up quickly? Hoping there has been no trade offs in normal ride and noise comfort conditions. Thanks again.
  • hybrid3hybrid3 Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone have a 2005 Acura RL and added the 18" wheel option? Are you happy with the aesthetics, handling, road noise, mpg? Any comments would be appreciated. It's an expensive option.
    I'm still riding on the OE's but like you, I keep reading the good reports on the Michelin Ultra HP Sport A/S tires...particularly the way they handle wet and snow and still remain more comfortable than the MXM4. I will replace the OE's with the Ultras if I decide to keep the car beyond the useful life of the OE's. Tire Rack's on-line survey by the way has the MXM4 rated closer to Good than Excellant and the Ultras were rated closer to Superior than Excellant.
    That's what you want to go over with your dealer.
  • jweaver1jweaver1 Member Posts: 25
    As far as tires goes for the RL, check out Tire Rack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS. Under passenger tire surveys, click on Grand Touring All-Season. OE tires are rated last out of 13 tires in the Grand Touring All-Season category. Only 3 out of 10 people would buy these tires again! I was set to buy a 05 RL, but I asked the dealer to swap out the HXMXM4 tires for the Pilot Sport A/S. He refused, and I didn’t buy the car. It was too bad, as I liked the car. There were a few things that I didn’t like on the car, namely: 1) the trunk has hinges instead of struts. 2) the passenger seat is only 4- way adjustable. 3) the radio doesn’t have the RDS (radio data system). All three of these should be on a $50k car, but I still would have bought the car IF the tires were different. SH AWD is great, but no matter how many wheels are driving the car, the traction and control are still dependent upon the contact between the tires and the road.
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    I bought the Pilot Sport AS for my 2005 RL with only 500 miles on the OEM's, I did it because I wanted an all season capable tire. The tire rack survey of over 1000 people tells the story. Of course with ShAwd traction with the OEM will be acceptable, but that doesn't help braking. With the Pilot Sport A/S I also expect to see a degree of improved traction along with the braking. Read the user reviews, they tell the story big tme. The difference is clear even on the 05 RL, the Pilot Sport A/S is quiter, smoother, and more responsive especially on snow covered roads. I sold my oem's on ebay and took the leap. I felt it was cheap insurance to possibly avoid an accident in the winter due to the limited stopping ability and poor handling of the oem's in snow. The OEM's reate significantly lower in all categories, and the user reviews are so negative. Plus I wanted to enjoy the better tires while the car was still new.

Dennis ;)
    Agreed the Tirerack reviews clearly show the Sport A/S as the winner between the two tires in the user surveys. What has confused me though is that at the michelinman.com web site if you do a comparison of these two tires under the Sports Car category (can't compare these two under a different category), in Michelin's own 10 point rating system, the OEM's are rated equal or better than the Sport A/S in every category. In fact the OEM rates out better than any other Michelin A/S tire in Michelin's own ratings.

I appreciate the real world experiences of other RL drivers though as that is the most pertinent evaluation available.