Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I can only add "amen" to the great comments above. As those of you who've been on here for a while know, I was the first one out of my dealership with the new 05 RL almost 1 1/2 years ago. I loved it from the moment I laid eyes on it at the NY auto show in April 04 and I've loved it every moment I've spent driving it. It hasn't been problem free - I've had a few very minor problems, all of which have been fixed. I love looking at it as I approach it, I love unlocking it and starting it without a key and, most of all, I love driving it. It's an absolute joy to drive.

If I got in an accident tomorrow and it was demolished, I wouldn't hesitate to go over to my dealership and buy an 06 RL.
  • ilasilas Member Posts: 18
    I totally agree with the welcome/unwelcome thing. I have not been a frequent poster, but I am a frequent reader of posts here and an 06 RL owner. What blows my mind are people who come here and spew total false comments about the RL in an attempt to cut it down and flame people. Here are examples: fake wood (uh...no), small and should compete with a BMW 3 or lexus IS (no, check the facts on rear seat, head and shoulder room, as well as outside dimensions across cars), slow (again, right on par and sometimes better compared to its competitors like the 530xi, E350 4matic, GS300awd, or M35 awd cars....check facts and actually read some reviews and tests!), just like an accord (as a previous accord owner, this is a TOTALLY laughable one), has torque steer (uh, sorry, no way...read all of the reviews of it and DRIVE ONE!), no rear seat room (check the numbers), terrible handling (well, not based on what many reviews have said and on skidpad numbers published in CD, MT, etc), and noisy (this is subjective, but not true if one looks at the decibel numbers published in Road and Track and Car and Driver for example). One of my all time favorites is the assertion that it is more expensive than the BMW 5 series. Sorry, but a BMW 525xi is less expensive if you buy the stripped one with a leatherette interior (uh, I'll pass on that, especially for a car that is much slower 0-60 than the RL oh, but I forgot that the RL is a heavy cow!). There is almost no way to get a 530xi at the same price as an RL unless you buy the absolute bare bones one with nothing. Another are TL owners who come here and also disparage the RL (agina, why, we are on the same side!). I like Acuras and also like the TL very much (my mom has an 05TL). I have driven hers and also driven a 2006 TL as a loner, and in my opinion (again, mine) the RL is better (quieter, smoother, more steering effort, and better materials inside). Whether it is 13K or so better than the TL is up to each individual to decide (it wasn't for my mom, but it was to me). I do not wish to debate this.

Whenever someone comes over here and starts talking about all of this crap, they are showing me that they have either never driven, researched properly, or even sat in an RL. I therefore discount their comments. I am certainly not suggesting that this forum should not be about debating issues regarding the RL, as every car has its advantages and disadvantages. However, throwing out silly baseless comments is not the way to do it, and, frankly, reveals some serious insecurities about posters who write them.

For the record, I spent months driving the 5, E class, and the A6 before deciding on the RL. All of these cars are great and have certain advantages over others. No one car in my opinion has everything better than another. For me, the RL was the best combination of factors.

Well, sorry for the rant!
    What is your opinion then about the M. To me it looks just like a maxima that has been inflated with an air pump. And why go for a 5 series, when it is just a blown up 3 series in looks? Why not save 15K and go for the 3 series? To each his own, I think my RL looks way better than other 50K cars, and many people who have seen it also agree. Everyone has their own opinion about this, and I think really that cars are becoming more boring looking in general. It seems auto makers are afraid of offending when resigning shapes. Most tend to go with conservative lines and angles.

Still, the RL looks like other 50K cars in my mind, inside and out.
    Acura's (rare) RL ads are silly and off point for buyers in this segment IMO. They push technology things like collision mitigation and real time traffic. Instead they should appeal to the senses. I even think the video on Acura.com of the RL is better than any commercial I have seen. And so far, I have read only one magazine add that pushed SHAWD are redefining physics. Now, that was cool and will get potential buyers thinking about taking a look.

On more thing. We need to admit that any 50K car is going to have difficulty selling. Many simply cannot afford it or do not want to sink that much money into it. Even the M sales are small if you compare them with cheaper Nissans.

I myself question the inflation of car prices lately. There is diminishing returns as the price of any car increases, and Acura customers seem to be particularly keen on value I think (Acura cars have always been values in their competitive segments). With the RL, I think that Acura is having trouble convincing its value-based customers from stepping up from a TL to an RL. Acura needs to appeal to the passions inherent in the RL and stop trying to push value content. They are speaking to deaf ears.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Replying to you and others who have expressed similar thoughts ...

Your feelings are understandable. Nevertheless, this is a place for people to come to discuss the RL, and people are free to express any and all opinions, positive or negative, whether they've driven the car or not.

This is a place for a free exchange of thoughts and opinions and there really aren't any requirements other than those described by our Membership Agreement, of course.

All are welcome. :)
    I agree with you totally here. There are so many examples on this board about people who try to blast the RL with incomplete or absolutely false statements. There is, of course, room for disagreement.

* Styling - I love it, not everyone does and I agree it may be an acquired taste.
    * One-size fits all - some people don't like the fact that you can't pick and choose options. I do - I hate the dishonest ads for other LPS cars "starts at $38,000", etc., when that price gets you a stripped-down car that is barely better than many non-LPS cars.
    * Speed - face it, the RL is fast enough for 99.9% of all situations. Who really needs to do 60 in 1 or two seconds less??
    * Rear seat room - maybe it doesn't have as much room in the rear seat as some other sedans. It has enough room unless you plan to carry 3-4 adults for a long drive or if a couple of them are hefty or extra tall.
    * Not worth the price compared to a TL - very subjective, of course. However, I've spent a lot of time in both my RL and a friend's TL. The TL is a very nice car but in no way, in my opinion, compares to an RL. The TL may be a bit faster and sportier, but the RL is quieter, rides better, is more luxurious, and has several very nice features that are not available on the TL.
    * Cachet - here's one of the big rubs. Acura simply does not have the cachet of a BMW or Mercedes. It probably never will. However, I love the fact that I don't see 20-30 RLs every time I go for a drive. In this area, BMWs are as common as Chevys or Fords in the Midwest.

So, keep the posts coming, but at least be honest when you critize our beloved RL.
    I think advertising is one of the RL's main problems. Nearly every ad I've seen pushes NavTraffic. It's great a great feature and is important for possibly 5% of the people in the country. There are so many ways to advertise the RL that would appeal to a wider audience.

I still think back to their advertising for the first RL - "starts at $XX,000". I owned an eight year old Legend at the time and was seriously considering a new car. I liked what I read about the RL, but I just assumed that the starting price was like a Lexus I'd seen and that you would have to add another $7,000-$10,000 to get much of a car. So, I never checked it out. One day I was at the dealership for service and decided to look at it. It turned out that the only option was the Navi at $2,000. I ended up buying one a week later. I always thought what a horrible way to advertise a car.

Seeing their current advertising, I don't think they've learned yet how to truly sell a great car.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    "Cachet - here's one of the big rubs. Acura simply does not have the cachet of a BMW or Mercedes."
    I'v never owned an Acura (may someday) but I've had 5 Mercedes, over the years. The last one was a 99 ML430, and let me tell you, "cachet" didn't cut it. It was one of the most unreliable vehicles I've had. It had to be flat bedded 3 times, and there were innumerable trips to the dealer for one thing or another. My present circumstances require that I have a rugged 4wd vehicle, but when that changes an RL would certainly be on my short list. I find the Car and Driver long term report a little worrisome, however that doesn't seem to be the concencus on these boards.
    I didn't say it made sense, I just said what I feel is out there. I have a friend who buys only Mercedes. He's been burned so many times, but he keeps going back. Why? Because to him, owning a Mercedes means he's "made it" and he feels no other car says that.

Just like back when the 190 came out. I test drove it and thought it was an awful car, but so many people bought it just because it was a Mercedes. A cheap Mercedes, but a Mercedes, nonetheless.
  • gwestboundgwestbound Member Posts: 22
    Thousands of people buying something else started the negative comments about the RL. The rest was reporting.

Acura sales executive Dick Colliver kicked them up a notch telling Automotive News the RL "hasn't performed to expectations."

Mike McGrath, Acura dealer council chairman, delivered the coup de grâce when he said, "Maybe Acura doesn't have the brand image" to sell a vehicle at that price.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Please excuse me for asking Pat and it has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I really don't know. What is your gender if you don't mind me asking?
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Has anyone had the RL's headlights adjusted by an Acura Service Department? I asked mine to adjust the angle and I was told that Acura frowns upon changing the factory adjustment. I don't know what the lumen output is of the 2005 RL, nor do I know the lumen output of my former 1990 RL. It would make an interesting comparison, the angle of the lights not withstanding. Is there a sophisticated poster among us who would know how to dig up this information? I'm presuming that HID's are measured in lumens, as well.

As I stated previously, I love the car without reservation, but I am outrunning my lights, it appears.

George
    Acuraphile, You and I have had short discussions in the past about LUMEN OUTPUT and I am going to post some information that I have saved in my documents because I too was interested in raising the aim of my low-beams at one time. NOT WITHSTANDING THAT THIS ALONE WOULD BE ENOUGH TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM... It read like this:

I said..."Meanwhile it would be good to hear from SGL1 again because maybe he can describe the size and type of screwdriver he said he used on this "simple" adjustment."

"Sorry for the delay, guys. Here's the scoop: You'll need a fairly large screwdriver, about 3/8" diameter, to fit snugly into the hole. You'll need to push it thru the rubber gasket to get a snug enough fit to accept the twist. Remember the head of the screwdriver will not be used, it only needs to fit snug thru the washer. Expect minor pressure/torque when turning the screwdriver.

Be careful that you don't turn too many times as I did initially, but adjust both sides equally. If you're using your garage wall as a guideline, pls remember that the slightest movement will be enhanced down the road. You'll need ten turns of the screwdriver.

Park your car in a parking lot at night, take 50 steps back and make sure the headlights don't shine in your face. If they do, adjust accordingly. You'll know you went too far if passing cars flash their light at you often.

Driving my RL was great, but is now even better now that I can see everything at night!

This was posted months ago. Does anyone else have any comments about the low beam alumination?

(PS: Acuraphile...I always thought Pat was a female. Would you agree or disagree with that?)
    I recall being told how to make the adjustment, but I'm not about to venture into the innards of the RL to accomplish that - nor is there anyone I know privately whom I would trust to fiddle around.I'm going to press my Service Manager and tell him that the current adjustment inhibts my night driving.It is unsettling.

(PS: Acuraphile...I always thought Pat was a female. Would you agree or disagree with that?)

Pat is required be gender-free.. Pat has to remain unbiased. That's why this Forum is the essence of Decorum!-;)
    Good Point Acuraphile...Gender-Free. I am going to give you one point for that. I will give you one more point for your comment on keeping the essence of Decorum in this forum. and Finally...I will give you an opportunity to get credit for the 3-Point shot at the buzzer in an overtime victory when my question gets answered. :blush:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's keep the comments focused on the cars ...

:sick: :confuse: :)
    You missed us didn't you. That's good. :shades:
    There is a publication out there that we (Forum Posters) have debated about from time to time as to their fairness in rating or comparing the cars they test. Consumer Reports IMO dropped the ball with their April edition evaluation of the RL. For me the reliability of this car is beyond reproach. Their handling comparison statement with the other cars in the RL's class was worded in a rediculous way that gives a negative interpretation instead of positioning the RL right in there WITH the peer group. The opening statement gleans of a purposeful negative tone that contradicts most of the major magazine's assessments of the RL from the beginning in October of 2004. The overwhelming predominance of positive evaluations from the expert test drivers from the auto magazines trumps CR hands down!
    Another case of shooting the messenger.

Consumer Reports gave the previous Acura 3.5RL a top rating calling it a refined and well-rounded luxury car. The April 2004 CR recommended only two up-scale luxury sedans, the Lexus LS and the Acura 3.5RL. The Acura 3.5RL is a CR top used car choice.

Though it's a very nice car, the current RL's price/value ratio is unacceptable to thousands of potential purchasers accounting for falling RL sales. It may not be pleasant, but that’s reality.
    I agree. CR was clearly being overly negative. Reading the article makes it seem like, to me at least, they were mad the car battery ran down two times given the car was not turned off properly. Well, that's their fault, not the car's. Moreover, their statements about it were just idiotic. They bash the performance relative to the rest of the class, yet the RL did 0-60 faster than many of the other cars in that test. The auto magazines, with real professionals, mostly rated the RL worthy of the class and in general liked it very much. CD especially liked it of course. The sad thing is that the average joe shopper reads CR and not CD or MT. Honestly, I think their bashing has hurt the RL more than we can even know given all of the readers they seem to have.

As I have said before, Acura has a history of reliability, and there is no way they let that slip with this car. I bet the 06s will be quite reliable. Mine has been after 4,000 miles.
    "Another case of shooting the messenger."

A messenger merely carries a message. It was much more than that. CR writers determined the content, gave it direction, and put a negative spin on it.

Sales is another topic.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you had a few race horses in your stable but still wanted to sell the OLD over-stocked mares what would you advertise?

Maybe after most of the fleet is converted to RWD....

Is there any upscale marque that will remain with FWD?
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I wonder if anyone has purchase their RL with either Technology package or A-SPEC or with both?

Is the technology package worthy?

In terms of the A-SPEC, how are the handling and ride? Also, does it cost around $5,000 to install as it is on the TL?

Thank you very much,
    "Advertising the SH-AWD"
    I like this a lot. A big time creative focus!
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "CD especially liked it of course."

Did you see the article in the latest C&D about all the problems they had with their long term RL? Eight unscheduled trips to the shop. Very uncharacteristic of an Acura.
    Very true....it is uncharacteristic of an Acura...my 2005 RL has over 15,000 miles on it now and it has been absolutely PERFECT!
  • tonymagtonymag Member Posts: 6
    Just looked at the C&D article about the long term 2005 RL. Looked like all or most of the problems dealt with electronics.

Aside from that, the staff seemed to really like the car.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Nope, that's the wrong answer.

I always find it intriguing when the discussion of poor RL sales come up that RL owners readily dismiss the opinions of non-RL owners :confuse:

I shopped the RL against the M35 and found the RL to be lacking in basic needed features (e.g back-up camera) and to be grossly overpriced. Also the many problems the RL has didn't help its cause any.

Now I really do believe that the RL has lackluster sales because folks are buying something else (duh) - hence the opinions of folks who bought that something else is not the wrong answer :shades:
    I wonder if anyone has purchase their RL with either Technology package ... Is the technology package worthy?

I was at the dealership last week and they had an RL with Tech on the lot. The MSRP was $53K+ :surprise: And that did not even include a backup camera. I found the RL to be grossly overpriced without forcing runflats on you and adding $500 for the backup camera standard on the competition. Is the tech package worth it? Not in my opinion. The RL with tech costs way more than its competition. :confuse:
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I always find it intriguing when the discussion of poor RL sales come up that RL owners readily dismiss the opinions of non-RL owners

So do I. But is it OK for non-RL owners to post contrary to your opinion? ;) Because I don't own an RL but do think it is a solid car and the reasons for it's lackluster sales are more complicated than the simplistic arguement that "it's too expensive".

Your list of "basic features" is a little non-basic...back-up camera? Yeah, that is a basic need for any LPS. :shades: No, I personally feel the RL is well accessorized (as agreed by auto magazine reviewers who have said it is "well equiped", etc... I think there are multiple reasons for its poor sales (or the A6 for that matter) but both cars are very good automobiles IMO. One big issue is advertising, as Acura had not done very little TV or print ads that play up the car itself, rather than its electronics...
    But is it OK for non-RL owners to post contrary to your opinion?

An opinion is just that - an opinion. My point is that when someone states they did not buy an RL for whatever reason then that reason can NOT be dismissed or swept under the rug regardless of how trivial it may seem to others. When I made my decision last fall the RL lacked a backup camera (important to me), laser-guided cruise control (an outrageous package price option for '06, but not available for me), and a full sized spare (a requirement for me). There were several other things but you get the idea.

I have stated in this forum that the RL is a great car in many ways and has a lot going for it; but it is NOT a perfect car by any means and for a variety of reasons it is not selling well. Those who bought an RL (particularly those who paid near MSRP between 10/04 and 2/05) do not want to hear about the RLs real and/or perceived shortcomings. However I suspect that Acura Corporate does care and does not dismiss so readily why I bought someone else's $48K car after owning three consecutive Acuras!!.
    MSU79gt82,
    You returned to the RL forum to grace us with your presence.
    Where have you been? How's your car running? I paid the full retail price for the 2005 because that's the only way you could buy it in the early weeks of the 2005 introduction. I believe it was the same at Infiniti when the M was introduced. Both great cars. In my case I had owned 2 Acura's before this one and many Hondas before that. Yep I'm stuck with this PERFECT CAR now that I love and when someone beefs about sales well then...that's their problem not mine. :)
    I also am a 1st generation RL owner, and really like my car. The new RL doesn't ring my chimes. A smaller car for a ton more money???

Regardless, it is my policy to avoid redesigned models until they have been in production for at least a year. I'm glad I did. The new RL seems to have an unusually large number of teething problems, and the price has fallen $5,000 to $10,000.
    Coming from an older TL I was more than excited at the new RL size...but you make it sound like they downsized the RL a lot. It was minimal but necessary to capture the luxury sport performance qualities that allows it to break away from a stodgy body style of the 2004 IMO. Also the addition of the SH-AWD among other upgrades added much more value than the few thousand dollars they added to the msrp on the 2005. (You are probably right though,,,,if you like the previous RL it's a new look and a changed car. For some of those same reasons I personally couldn't buy the Redesigned 2004 TL when it came out and I had my money ready. (Others loved it and it has been a big success) Back to the RL...Teething problems ...well again somebody else will have to verify that...I can only give the new RL applause! To the best of my knowledge complaints are being handled without a problem from the manufacturer and there have been some upgrades but no recalls. It's a high quality designed machine with huge kudos by the majority of the professional test drivers in the business.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    I have an 05RL in the shop now with the drive shaft needing to be replaced.Since I've had the car the dash has been replaced,speakers in the doors xm unit interior side covering etc. This car only has 19.5k on it.Does anyone think I should try to get a buy back from Acura or would these things seem minor??? I'd really like to get some feed back from JJ and the boys. Thanks in advance
    Hello Jerry.... been a long, long time since I read any of your posts. I see you haven't posted in about 7 months. I am very sorry to read about your problems. Is your dealer getting these repairs done to your satisfaction? Where are you located?
    Yes they're doing a good job JJ.I'm in phx.
    People where just putting a bug in my ear about tring for a new one for all the running around and down time. But I really didn't think much about it so I thought I'dputit out there. Thanks for replying JJ
  • tonyinoctonyinoc Member Posts: 23
    Well, I gotta jump in here and say since May 2005, I've put nearly 40,000 miles on my '05 RL and, other than replacing the inside driver's side door weather stripping, I have had zero problems with the car. I've driven all over the western US on wide open roads and have spent way too much time parked on the 5/10/405/91/210 freeways, sometimes up to 15 hours in the car during a long day. I think the $43 large was well spent and would not hesitate to buy another one, which I probably will do in 2007 just before I hit 100,000 miles, not to say I won't look at the A6/M35/E350 et al. once again, just to be fair with the competition and have some fun with test drives.
    Tony,

Sounds like you really enjoy your car, like I do. Interestingly, I am not that interested in everyone's discussion of if this car sells well, I own it for 3 years and 60K miles so I will enjoy it for that time and move on. The reason I come to the forum is to try and see if there's something going on with the car at a given milage which I will need to fix. Most everyone I come in contact with here in Mass. loves theirs, has had minimal problems and thinks the car is wonderful.

I bought the ipod link and still I am bummed about how bad it is, but that was an option and it's the worst implimented part of this otherwise fine machine.

I drive at least 20,000 mi a year, my last car was a Porsche Cayenne and MB S500 before that. I tired of spending a fortune and suffering through terrible quality and huge gas bills. I let go of the prestege and spend about 1/2 with a lot less hassle.

So if someone comes here looking to buy an RL, I would tell them go do it but I have no vested interest in if they do or now.

By the way, one of the coolest features is to burn lots of files on a CD-R and have them show up on the nav screen, with titles and track names. Now if only the ipod contents could be visable from the nav screen....
    This is a thoughtful analysis of the issues surrounding the RL's falling sales. It also addresses other Acura mistakes.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=514370
    I am debating having the A spec suspension and wheel/tire package installed on my 06 RL.

Here are three questions I have

1. Does the suspension and wheel/tire upgrade seriously hurt the ride? I don't mind having a stiffer ride, but a go cart feel is not something I want (well, I do but my wife doesn't).

2. Do the upgrades affect steering feel at all? In other words, my current steering on center does not feel as precise as the BMW 5 that I drove when test driving, and I drove my brother's 550 recently to compare steering and found it much sharper on center. Also, would these upgrades increase steering effort?

3. What do you think a reasonable price is to ask for for these upgrades? If I were to order from ebay and ship it to the dealer, they would kill me on labor costs.
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    I'm getting my new RL next week. I already use Cingular wireless, but without a Bluetooth enabled phone. Any suggestions on which phone works well with the RL?

Len
    Len:

The Motorola E-815 pairs perfectly. I have no problems whatsoever. Verizon is my service provider.

George
    Len:

Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you have Cingular service.
    When you say it pairs perfectly, did you mean the data service too?

Thanks!
    If Len is still reading this forum in re: Cingular service:
    I have it and found the Motorola V551 an excellant cellphone that pairs well with the RL ...
    NO DROPPED CALLS EITHER!

Hello to my friend Acuraphile too! :)

JJ (Visiting daughter in Houston)
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    If Len is still reading this forum in re: Cingular service:
    I have it and found the Motorola V551 an excellent cellphone that pairs well with the RL ...

jjacura, yes I'm still reading. I took delivery last Saturday and love the Lakeshore with Taupe. Next month I will have a year with Cingular and will definitely look at the V551. Thanks for the info.

Len
  • erwin76erwin76 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I have a 2005 RL and it needs its 1st service B (oil change & tire rotation). I asked around, most Acura dealers quote me for $150. Is this a fair price? can we take the RL to a non-dealer service place? Any recommended mechanics? I live in San Jose, CA. Thanks!
  • dsm05rldsm05rl Member Posts: 12
    Our Acura dealer is $39.99 for the 3750 service intervals and $59.99 for the 7500 service intervals... Both on the RL and MDX we own... The 15k and 30k intervals vary between $300-$500 depending on how extensive you want them to be (just had the MDX there yesterday for 30k service and only chose to do the 15k service to save a few hundred bucks at this time). Obviously, Iowa prices probably a LITTLE different than California prices, BUT STILL... $40 vs. $150? Can't possibly imagine what the difference would be?