Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Don't do it. While the car may "run" on regular it will perform best (acceleration, gas mileage, etc) on premium - that's why they recommend it. The engine computer will sense "knock" when you use regular and will retard the timing so that the engine is not damaged. That will also cause the car to run less efficiently (power and gas mileage). Now, figure the costs: let's say that premium typically costs .20 more than regular, and let's say that you fill up once per week using 15 gallons. Using premium works out to about $3/week or $156/year. If that is too much to pay after buying an LPS car, then the choice probably should have been a Camry or somesuch - and, by using premium your car should get better mileage so those costs will actually be less.
  • dsm05rldsm05rl Member Posts: 12
    You are correct. I just traded my '05 for an '06 RL, in my last 2500 miles, knowing I'd be getting rid of the car, I dropped back to only using the mid grade fuel... definitely a decrease in performance, and gas mileage. My wife's MDX has major decreased gas mileage if she doesn't use premium. And I agree - it's roughly $100 +/- a year more - if that's a big challenge - I think you probably bought the wrong vehicle.

On a separate note - the '06 is worlds better than the '05 RL - adjusted steering and suspension make the car feel much more like a $40k+ vehicle - still wish they could better dampen road noise, but I do love driving this car and having a brand new one is truly sweet.
    Thank you for your response, I won't be using anything but premium fuel anytime soon. I am delighted to hear that the '06 RL is more refined than the '05, it's a year later and I still love my car, I only wish it were a bit quieter on the highway and I wish that STUPID iPod link worked better!
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I agree on road noise - in fact, this is my major complaint re the RL. This also seems to be an issue on other Honda cars, but it seems insane that they didn't address it on the RL redesign, flagship of the marque. Some of this may be tires, but again, why does Honda/Acura put them on their flagship? Toyotas are quiet, so are many others (my ten year old BMW 528 (153K miles, with 25K on the current tires) is MUCH quieter than the RL I test drove some months back. Not the right board for this discussion, but you are right on the racket in the cockpit in the RL - why have a great stereo if you allow so much other noise into the cockpit?
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    I found that the road noise was mostly RL tire noise and when I changed out the 05 RL's OEM Michelins for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S it made a significant difference. The already great handling was improved further and the tire noise was no longer an issue for me.
    Thanks for your comments on road noise. Does anyone else have experience with switching tires on the 05/06 RL, along with recommendations? If this problem were solved, I would love this car a whole lot more.
    Anyone know what the differences are between these two RL's?
    I know they are trying to cut some features and lower the price to sell more units. Anything else changed?
  • houstonrlhoustonrl Member Posts: 5
    I get 30 plus MPG at 80 MPH plus. Around town over 24 MPG. I would have the dealer check it out.
  • acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    I'm no expert, but will take a crack at it. For 2006 there are two trim levels (commonly known as non-tech and tech package). For 2007 there are three (base, navi, CMBS-PAX). The 2006 non-tech and the 2007 navi are nearly identical, except that Acura deleted OnStar and added a backup camera for 2007. The confusing thing is that Acura refers to the middle 2007 trim level as "tech package"--though it is not comparable to the 2006 tech package. Kind of sneaky. The 2007 base model is stripped of the navi (and thus real-time traffic) and has plastic "wood" interior trim, often referred to here as "plood." The top model for both years has PAX tires at $800 a pop plus the collision-mitigating braking system.

I'd appreciate any corrections to the above by the way.

I did like the 2006 non-tech RL quite a bit at the current pricing of around $40K, though it strikes me as bland both in appearance and driving characteristics. Personally I'd never consider a stripped RL, as its biggest value proposition is satellite traffic. Otherwise a TL is at least as much fun to drive and way less expensive. I'd also not consider PAX tires. That leaves the 2006 non-tech or the 2007 navi. Or just keeping my TL for a couple more years and waiting to see if Acura can come up with more inspiring styling on the RL! ;)
  • powerchiefpowerchief Member Posts: 5
    I am up for my first oil change in my 2006 RL. I have my first oil change free at the dealership but I am curious if I will need to continue going to the dealership for the life of the car. Is the RL oil change complicated or can I simply take my car to a Jiffy Lube or a similar type of business?
    Any feedback would be appreciated....
  • dsm05rldsm05rl Member Posts: 12
    I don't know for sure, but my guess is there's not much that the acura dealership does for an oil change that's different from Jiffy Lube, except reset the car's computer to know that the oils been changed (i.e. so it starts tracking the mileage for the next oil change). I think, if you read in your manual, it will tell you how to reset the oil change indicator if you don't use an Acura dealership. However, my personal opinion on this is that, considering my dealership and Jiffy Lube are less than $5 apart in price, why not use the Acura folks? That way, anything goes wrong, and I have a chain of custody to rely upon for all repair records...
    Just my thought on this...
  • ff100ff100 Member Posts: 12
    I'm with 'powerchief' on this one. My Acura dealer charges $24.95 and offers free car wash. Can't beat that. The only drawback (which happened to me) is that the dealer could ask for more so-called required maintenance, such as air filter change, brake fluid flush, etc., unnecessary work.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Hello, I drive a 2005 RL but have been with Acura for about 10 years and have always found my Acura dealer to be most reliable. He has caught things that a quick oil change operation probably would miss. During the early months of ownership with the 2005 the Acura service department reminded me of an important upgrade that surely would have been missed by a quick oil change operation. I just had service last week and they removed a nail from the right front tire and repaired the tire. They have always washed the car at every service and have always supplied us with a free loaner, anytime I asked. It makes good sense to me to go to them for ALL service. Besides the RL is an expensive car and although I like saving money as much as the next guy, that couple bucks you save with the quick oil change guy just doesn't seem to be worth it to me, and could cost you in the long run. Happy Holidays!
    JJAcura
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey jjacura, nice to see you again! :)
    Hi Pat...Hope all is well with you. It has been a while. I do miss the fun we had in this forum when the new RL was introduced. ;) Happy Holidays to you. JJ
  • edunmore6974edunmore6974 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the lug pattern is for the 2006 RL? Also, if I were to upgrade to a 19 inch rim, has there been any issues associated with the tire sensors? The 2007 MDX has a (19" Sparkle Silver Wheels) as an upgrade. I'm curious if these wheels with a lower profile tire will fit on my RL. I can seem to get an answer from the dealer on this question. Help!!!
  • recentbuyerrecentbuyer Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to hard wire a radar detector and I am looking at using a splitter for a fuse, so I don't have to split the wires...apparantely, there are 2 types of fuses...

FHM200BP for
    Mini (ATM) Fuses

FMA200BP for
    Maxi (ATO) Fuses

Any idea which one is on the 2005 RL?

Thanks
  • tizertizer Member Posts: 23
    With the recent below freezing temperatures my Windshield Washer does not work on my 06 RL. Obviously the resovoir and jets are not heated. I could not find a reference to this feature listed anywhere on the specs/manual. I will try changing out the factory issued fluid for one that has a "well below freezing" rating. I still love this car...but have finally found something I miss on my Mercedes. That car was driven left overnight in minus 12 degrees..and in the morning the windshield washer worked fine.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I think Acura made a mistake with the 2007 trim levels. The bottom trim does not include NAV. A $46,000 vehicle today without NAV makes no sense.
    When the long awaited 2005 was coming out hundreds of potential buyers placed orders in advance, most of us were not totally sure what the trim package was going to include. I had mixed emotions about the navigation system because I have resided in this community for about 45 years and knew it like the back of my hand. The new RL finally arrived and we had no option on the Nav system and I was thinking it would have been nice to put that $2,000 into larger wheels or some other option. In retrospect 2 years and 3 months later I can honestly say the Navigation system has been very helpful and I love the way it functions. Friends are investing in aftermarket systems that don't compare. In addition the resale value will be there. Glad it was included.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    jjacura,

Good point, I cover a large territory for a company so NAV would work for me. My point was a $46,000 vehicle without NAV is hard to believe. I can't think of another $45,000 plus vehicle on the market without NAV.
  • jwacura3jwacura3 Member Posts: 6
    It looks like the competitors (all of these are priced without the optional navigation system) offer similar pricing for non-navigation models:

Audi A6 3.2 w/ quattro $45,100
    Lexus GS 3.5 AWD - 46,815
    Infiniti M 3.5 AWD - $44,500
    Mercedes E350 4MATIC - $53,825
    BMW 530 xi - $49,700

The Lexus LS460 (not 460L) start at $61,000 without navigation system.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Along with that list, you might as well add the higher trim levels of those same cars, A6 4.2, 550i, GS430, E550, etc. I don't think any of the LPS cars come with nav standard, not to mention the even higher market cars that still don't have nav standard. Heck, LEATHER isn't even standard on a BMW! :surprise:
  • ppeter58ppeter58 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a Samsung SGH D407 cel phone because Acura's web site indicated it was a model that worked with Hands Free Link. The phone paired up with the system OK and I can make calls, but when the voice system tells me I have an incoming call, I push the button on the steering wheel and while the person calling can hear me, I can not hear what the caller is saying. Anyone else have this problem with this phone or any other? Any solutions?
  • ldgrmnmcldgrmnmc Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know a site where an owner's manual for a 2005 RL can be obtained? Anyone on line sell them?
  • tamparltamparl Member Posts: 42
    Here is a link to an online Manual. It is for a 2006 RL (which is what I have). Perhaps the site has a 2005 link if you peruse the primary site 'techno.honda.com'

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/JA0606/JA0606OM.pdf
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    I push the button on the steering wheel and while the person calling can hear me, I can not hear what the caller is saying.
    I don't have the problem you described, and don't know any solutions to suggest. Sorry

I have a bluetooth problem, too, and hope someone can help. I bought a blackberry and everything paired fine and all works as it should.....except it seems there is a lot of breakup on both ends of the call. It's as if there is a weak signal, but the phone signal is fine. If I switch back from hands free to the phone, all's fine. Does one lose a lot of signal strength with bluetooth? Have others experienced this problem?
  • ff100ff100 Member Posts: 12
    I use an LG VX8500 and Bluetooth works even if the phone it's on the back seat. Also, no breakups either.
  • rgraybillrgraybill Member Posts: 9
    My 05 RL has always handled the change from standard to daylight time automatically. Today it didn't change. I assumed that the change was handled through the XM module. Was the date coded into the software and therefore not moved up?
    graybill
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I just did a search and ran into your post. I asked a similar question in the Accord Navigation thread. I'm guessing that it must be a software problem because of the switch to an earlier Daylight Savings time.

My clock is always accurate so I figured that it got the time from XM as well. I changed it manually but if I leave it on Auto-Adjust, I'm guessing that it will switch again under the old schedule in a couple of weeks.

Ain't technology grand?? :)
  • sburke7sburke7 Member Posts: 37
    My 06 rl failed to make the time change too, so I did it manually,,,
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    As noted elsewhere, the 2007 RL with navigation is available in the $42K range due to a factory incentive of $3500- 3/1/07-4/30/07. This makes it the least expensive vehicle by far in an apples to apples comparison of features. The equivalent Infiniti M- the next cheapest in the group with Advanced Technology and Technology packages sells in the $48K range- with a huge discount. All the others are well over $50K- and some close to $60K.
  • elibrunoelibruno Member Posts: 16
    how did you change the clock manually. I cant figure it out. thanks
    In my 05 it's in the menu brought up by the setup button.
  • elibrunoelibruno Member Posts: 16
    thanks! it worked!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Too funny... I couldn't figure it out at first either. I always thought that it adjusted itself automatically via radio signal. I had to look it up in the manual.
    Hey folks. Drop by the new RL Real World Fuel Economy discussion and tell us how you are faring. :)
    Hey Folks, Pat didn't close THIS FORUM but it appears that way! Whats happening out there with all those 2005 buyers that made this one of the hottest forums on the Edmunds Website when the redesigned RL came aboard? Are there any owners around that still check out this forum? My experience with the 2005 RL has been a good one. No flaws in 30,000 miles thus far. Everything looks like new yet and we're loving the car. :shades:
    Great to hear you're still happy with your RL - and really good to hear from you again. ;)
    In my case the early problems I had with the traffic info were addressed by the dealer. Acura has done an excellent job of integrating the technological enhancements. The voice control of the nav system is very good as is the phone integration.
    :)
    Hi Pat, It's really good to see you are still hosting. I miss the haydays of this forum... the participation was unbelievable and mostly excellent 2 years ago and for the 10 months before that...great speculation and debate... Loved it!
    JJ :)
    I miss those days too - go find everyone else and get them back here!! ;)
  • psychhpsychh Member Posts: 6
    Now at 20,000 on my 2006 RL...just as impressed as the day I took this car home. The car has been flawless - not a single mechanical or tech problem. The RL was a good bargain when I bought it at $43,200, and now I see it as a fantastic buying opportunity that seldom comes along. If I didn't love the one I have so much, I would go buy another. :-)
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    In the base 2007 RL without the NAV, what goes on in the NAV screen area?

I have to say at current prices, the RL is very tempting and I would think it would lure people away from the TL Type S.
  • tamparltamparl Member Posts: 42
    The base RL still has the NAV screen, which displays a compass and is used for some non navi, controls such as HVAC.

The base model also does not have the Adaptive Front Headlights and the wood trim is simulated (plood).

It seems VERY rare to even find a base RL on a dealer lot. Honda has drastically reduced production of the LEGEND and paricularly the US spec RL.
  • tonyinoctonyinoc Member Posts: 23
    I just turned 72,000 miles on my 2005 RL which will be 2 years (based on buy date) old on May 10. The dealer fixed, without charge, a rock through the a/c condenser, requiring replacement of the condenser, well after the 50,000-mile warranty was gone, even after we agreed it was road damage. That's goodwill. My car was not affected by the TSB for fuel pumps/sensors.

I drove the new MDX and came away thinking this is another great vehicle, but I still like the car better. Other than the trunk being too small for grandkids' strollers, I still have no complaints. Actually, I'm thinking of replacing mine with a 2007, or maybe a newer 2008, with nav, instead of rolling up my usual 200,000 miles on the current 2005 before donating the car to charity.

This has been a great car, both for the road and for sitting in traffic for interminable periods. All passengers have remarked on what a nice vehicle this is. The ride has been improved for quietness and handling since I replaced the OEM tires with Micheling Pilots.

And, no, I don't work for Honda/Acura or any affiliates, suppliers, financial partners, nor do any of my friends, relatives, or drinking pals.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I hadn't checked out the forum in a while since there wasn't much going on. Just to let you know, I've now had my 2005 RL for over 2 1/2 years and still love it. I'm seriously considering getting myself a pre-retirement gift of a 2008 RL. I'm planning to do some serious road-tripping after retirement and thought I'd get the latest and greatest to do it in.
  • acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    My wife has an RX 330 that went to the dealer for service. They gave her an ES350 with 8,000 miles to drive. I was glad to have a chance to drive the ES.

I would still take my RL. The cabin of the ES seemed roomy, but too open for me. I guess I like the cockpit feel. It was smooth and quiet. From posts on the ES forum, I expected to be thrilled with the acceleration; I was not. The lack of wood trim on the passenger side was noticeable after driving my RL; the ES just looked bland.
    Thanks. The base RL does seem very scarce as I have yet to see one. I think I would want at least the NAV.
    At these prices, I am considering an RL at to replace a perfectly wonderful, low mileage 2005 Accord hybrid sedan.

Where I live in central Ohio, the Acura TL seems about as common as Accord v6s and the RL still manages to be something special.

The funny thing is, I have turned my father (who is retired) on to the RL and got him to order a brochure and schedule a test drive.

He'd like to get a used Jaguar XJ8 sedan (this would be his second) and at these prices, I suggested a new RL instead.

Odd to me that the same car would be something to aspire to for a 40-something and a 60-something!

The RL seems like a car you could keep 10 years and not get bored with. My sense is that an Acura TL would be sort of a stop gap to something else.

I do have two infant children that fit very well in the Accord with their car seats so I am not sure I could subject an Acura to them!

Anyone else sporting child seats in an RL?