Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Bartalk,
    Long time since I saw your posts in here...Good to see you again. Automotive News "Tier 1" Does that mean the RL will have finally "arrived"?
    Edmunds has had the RL in their Luxury Performance Sedans group since 2005 competing with BMW 5 series, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac STS, etc.
    Looking forward to see what Acura does with the TL next model year. :) We've seen the 2009 RL.
    JJAcura
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    HI, jj,

Fellow Acura loyalist I think Acura would somehow like to elevate the status of their vehicles to the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus level. Prestige is tricky. How do you do that? For one, they need to separate themselves more from Honda, as Lexus does from Toyota. A lot of Acura parts, I notice, are labeled Honda. That doesn't help the elite image. Also, as Lexusguy sagely observed on that other chat room, the TL almost always follows the introduction of a new Accord by one year. In other words, built on the Accord platform, the TL is just an upscale and sportier variation. That will probably be true this year as Acura rolls out the new TL following by one year the new Accord. Expect similarities.

Lexusguy also observed that one limitation of the RL over the other elite brands is that there's virtually no choice of engine or transmission options. We'll see what Acura does. Prestige is a tricky thing to manipulate.. Infinti, by the way, would like to do the same. Their cars are great, but the name doesn't have quite the cache of the others.
    I agree that the prestige issue is very tricky. Acura has a very high quality automobile in the RL but has not been universally thought of in the same prestige level as Lexus and Mercedes or even BMW. Why is that? :confuse: Lexus Guy has some good points but there is something else that is missing. Is it the Bling Thing? :shades: PERHAPS!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    From what I read, Acura gets knocked the most for not offering an 8 cylinder engine and not offering RWD. Bland styling is also part of the knock, though.
    How can I argue with a hostess... :P (Good to see you are keeping an Eagle eye ;) on this tired old forum, Pat.) Actually though for me...When I see an RL, a Lexus, a Mercedes, or a BMW coming down the road I'll quickly look but I still do a double take on the RL. I love the subtle lines, the unheralded handsome good looks of the RL. I don't know about a V-8 in their plans but it is rumored that Acura is bringing on a powerful diesel 6...now that could be interesting. They have also refined the SH AWD in the 2009 and I can't imagine bringing on a RWD now.
    JJ
    Oh, I'm always here and it's always very good to see you, George and everyone else. You all should come around more often!! :)

Personally, I do like the understated looks of the RL. I was just saying what I read. I guess we'll see what happens down the road. A diesel would be quite interesting!
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Yesterday I purchased an RL for $ 42500 in Bay Area Ca. I had to hassle with the trade but I got with my Lexus RX 330 1k less than blue book.

Previously I tried out Lexus 350 and found it very fast but felt like I was in a sardine can, way to small for me. Also tried out a GS 460, luxury, fast, and very expensive at least for me.

Just for me, I feel the Acura RL gives more for the money than the same priced Lexus. And I still love Lexus, but having owned two prior "Acura Legends, one excellent and one a pos, (89) I am looking forward to a good 100-150k miles.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
    Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

We have lots of fascinating topics besides make/model discussions. Go to "Browse by Board" on the right and check them out. You'll find all kinds of interesting discussions in Automotive News, Smart Shopper, Classic Cars, Future Vehicles, Maintenance and Repair, etc. Do check them out and let us know what you like!
    Enjoy your new ride!

I have enjoyed reading your posts in the Inconsiderate Drivers topic, by the way. :)
    "Inconsiderate Drivers topic"
    FOR REAL? Must be an interesting place to vent.
    Thanks Pat

My computer crashed several months ago and I had to rebuild it and I had forgotten that site.

Thanks I just added to my list. I too enjoyed the posts as I do on almost forums.

Good luck and stay safe to all.

jensad
    Ooh, sorry about your computer, that bites. Glad you're back on top of things. :)
  • wilsongkwilsongk Member Posts: 6
    Looking at a 05 RL. The little tab on the upper left corner is missing and there is a hole there. Should I be concerned about this missing?? What is this for??
    Thanks
    Keith
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    If it's what I think you're talking about, it's the Shift-Lock override. Aside from asthetics, it's nothing to worry about. Though I would ask if the car had to be towed for some reason and why.
    We live in Concord and I used to work that freeway and later I worked in the San Ramon/Danville area at various middle schools.

When I would be coming home or going down at around 1-2 PM I would be in the next to the SLOW land at 70+ and traffic in ALL other lanes would pass me on right, left, or tail gate me. When my wife retires in two years, we are moving out of the speed zone which encompasses all of the Bay Area.

Gas at that price sounds about right. I last got gas at $ 3.75.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • wmjwmj Member Posts: 6
    I just recently leaed an '08 RL with Tech package. On my '05 TL and on the '08 MDX loaner that I am driving there is an phone icon that indicates that my phone is linked via Bluetooth. From what I can see there is no indicator on the RL. I have the signal strength and battery indicators when I am on a call but nothing when I am not on a call.

Is this correct?
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Thanks JJ.
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Have driven the Accord and it is a lot of car for the money. Strangely enough, the lumbar support couldn't adjust to a point where I was comfortable. Did test drive a Volvo S60 AWD. The seats are hands down the most comfortable I have ever experienced. Only down side is a smallish back seat.

My end game may be to not have any car payment and buy a good pre-loved Acura RL or Volvo S80.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Perhaps you have to set up the bluetooth in the 08 RL. Also some phones and HFL modules are different.
  • wmjwmj Member Posts: 6
    It's set up correctly as it's been working. I just find it strange that all the other Acura's such as the TL and the MDX have an indicator and the RL doesn't.
  • bluerlbluerl Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am a newbie here with a parts question. I have an acura rl 03. I recently hit the rear drivers side taillight and unfortunately broke the red plastic. The bulb and all else is okay...I have been checking online to replace and I am finding that there seems to be two different looking parts. One assembly has red and clear plastic (mine) and one has red, clear and yellow plastic. My taillight has a yellow bulb for the turning signal. I have the navigation package. (there is currently part for sale on ebay but does not look like mine). Some web sights selling this part do not show the photo in color. I am confused, and really was hoping to find this part second hand vs new. Anyone know if there are two different types for my rl? thanks!
    Here's a quote that caught my eye:

Acura’s next supercar is said to be powered by a 550 horsepower 5.5L V10 derived from the V8 to be used in the company’s all-new RL sedan...

It's an article about the next NSX located here. Hmm... I'm easily seduced by a V8. Now let's see if it cuts the mustard with the competition (and isn't FWD or front-biased AWD.) ;)
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Nice find. I kind of have the new car fever but with so much going on and changing every day I am just not ready to take the plunge.

That new RL sounds interesting if it comes to pass but I think it might be prudent to have at least one high mpg car in the garage. Either some type of hybrid or the new diesel technology. Supposedly Honda is working on a new hybrid for under $20K that will blow the Prius away.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• ccgordo13ccgordo13 Member Posts: 3
    Bluerl,

The '03 & '04 RLs are the same car, and have a clear plastic for back-up and turn signal, on the taillight. Available new at many on-line Acura parts places places (ex:Delray Acura, "AcuraOEMparts.com" for about $215). I backed my '98 into the tire barrier, turn 6 at Watkins Glen. Used replacement (looked new) for $100, from Brims Import. Have a '04 now, actually built in April '03!

"If this forum were any less busy, the server would fall asleep."

Regards,

Chip
  • buckets1buckets1 Member Posts: 5
    anyone having trouble with afs on 2005 rl? dealer has replaced unit but light keeps coming up.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I'm about to choose replacement tires for my '05 RL. Has anyone purchased the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S? If so, how do you rate them,
    for both traction and noise, compared to the OEMs?

Would appreciate any news .
    I got a rear 3/4 glance of the new RL at the dealership last week. It's not nearly as ugly in person as it is in photos. It actually didn't look too bad at all. Will have to look more closely at the whole car...
  • buckets1buckets1 Member Posts: 5
    my 05 rl came with michelin pilot hx mxm4. unless its the car itself i find a lot of road noise. on this forum there are a lot of complaints about road noise (where is this so called noise reduction system?) i would look into toyo versado. that is if they have the size. i dont have them, but understand they are supposed to be quiet. also you will find that when looking for tires for this car you are very limited to brands as not many make this size. good luck.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Can't remember where, but I remember reading recently that they're the best like-kind replacement tire available for this car. Expensive, but excellent.
    I replaced my Michelins with Yokohama AVID V4S tires about a year ago. I am no tire expert but these have been great tires for me. Much smoother and quieter than the Michelins.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I replaced my Michelins with Yokohama AVID V4S tires about a year ago. I am no tire expert but these have been great tires for me. Much smoother and quieter than the Michelins.

Very mixed user reviews for this tire. Comments like very quiet at first, then much noisier as they wear, very poor tread life, etc. I think I'd hesitate before buying it.
    I only saw good reviews. Where did you see the negative ones? I have about 10,000 miles on mine and they are still very smooth and quiet, same as new.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I only saw good reviews. Where did you see the negative ones?

Well, I can't tell you! When I saw your posting, I was immediately interested since I'll need to replace my tires soon and I'm hoping to get something quieter. I did a search for reviews and found a number of good reviews, but also some very negative reviews. I've just spent 1/2 hour looking and I can't find the negative ones now. I didn't dream them, but I don't know what else to say.
    LOL, no problem, I can never find things that I once saw either.

But seriously, I think you will get better info here that almost anywhere else. I don't know what tires you have now but I was actually shocked at how much better my 02 RL drove and rode with the Yokohamas. Another thing I like is that I have not had to add air in almost a year.

I was seriously considering getting rid of the RL before the new tires but the new tires improved the ride so much that I kept it and will keep it until some time next year.

If you do buy the yokos please post your impressions. Also,in case you were wondering, I am in no way affiliated with Yokohama or any other tire company. :)

With your name I assume you are a Cornhusker fan? I have been wondering if you guys are looking forward to the KU game this year. :sick: :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    The Tire Rack is full of useful reviews and is probably the best overall site for tire selection and prices. As far as I can tell, the Yokohama AVIDs are not available in the size needed for the 2005+ RLs. I just replaced the OEM Pilot MXM's with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Assymetricals. Getting them mounted tomorrow. Had these same tires on our 2002 Audi A4s and they were decent. I almost went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS but since I'll be trading in this RL in about a year, chose to save about $150 with the Dunlops instead. The OEM MXMs were nothing to write home about, except we got decent wear....almost 47K miles on the set. Probably could have gotten to 50K but didn't want to wear them right down to the wear bars. But $240 each to replace the OEM Michelin tires is ridiculous. The Pilot Sport AS are cheaper at around $228.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I am considering a used 2005 RL. Does it have an AUX audio port to hook in my iPod directly? Thx.
    I am considering a used 2005 RL. Does it have an AUX audio port to hook in my iPod directly?

No, it doesn't.
    Thanks Nebraska! Any idea what year they added the aux port feature?
    I am getting semi serious about a used Acura RL in the 2005 - 2008 range. 2005s certified are now being priced mid to high 20s which is attractive. There seem to be a lot coming off lease now.

I do not see as many 2006, 2007 or 2008s.

Any sense which is the best year? Will the bulk of used 2006s be available in a year? And used 2007s are year after that?

Should I concerned about getting a 2005? What should I look for?
  • jmfdonejmfdone Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I have an 05 RL. Has anyone had an issue where the NAV system reboots for no apparent reason while driving? Today it did it to me a few times, and it has gone from extremely rare to somewhat more common.

Also, is it true that on the 05 RL there is no lights mode where you simply set it and the car turns the lights on and off, and when you exit the car there is no need to turn the lights off? When I am in auto mode the lights go on, but when I park they don't automatically go off and the car prompts me (beep beep beep) to turn the lights off.

Thanks for any help.
  • crazyfurbycrazyfurby Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2006 Acura RL. I was planning to buy an MDX but ended up getting an RL. I am very happy about my purchase. Still, I strongly recommend skipping the 2005 RLs. It was a revolutionry car back then with a lot of new features and gadgets. There were a lot of initial problems with electronics and computer programming during the first production year. Get yourself an RL built for 2006 model year or later.
    Also, is it true that on the 05 RL there is no lights mode where you simply set it and the car turns the lights on and off, and when you exit the car there is no need to turn the lights off? When I am in auto mode the lights go on, but when I park they don't automatically go off and the car prompts me (beep beep beep) to turn the lights off.

I have an 05 RL. You can set the lights on "Auto" which means the lights go on and off depending on light conditions. You can also set them to "On" which means they're always on when the car is on. This is my preferred setting because I believe it is a safer mode for driving. On either setting, the lights go off at a set period after you turn the car off (time delay is set by user) and also, on either setting, you'll get the annoying beep beep warning.
  • njalannjalan Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2002 RL with nav but the navigation dvd appears to be outdated although it has been working since new from 9/2001. I went to my local Acura dealership (East Brunswick, NJ) to buy an up-to-dated dvd but was told nothing in stock (they don't carry this item at all). I then went online to eBay to look for it but was very much confused, because there are so many different types of dvd (different version and different color). In the end I still cannot find one that is sure to fit my 2002 RL. I am open to either a new or used dvd as long as it is working and price is reasonable, and it is the latest version(2007 or 2008).

If possible and available I would like to have one covering North America (USA & Canada) because the dvd that came with my new car is for USA roads only and I cannot use it when in Canada. I think the color and the version number of the dvd are the most important criteria in the dvd replacement selection. But somehow I have not been able to get the right info for my car. Appreciate your timely help.
    Google is your friend! Go here.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Looks like the '10 RL will be available with a V-8. Terrible timing. Who needs a V-8 these days with the price of gas. Acura timing has been terrible lately. The redesigned TL has grown 6 inches, and now a V-8. This is part of Acura's attempt to move the brand upmarket into Lexus territory. But I don't think it's going to work.
  • njalannjalan Member Posts: 70
    Thanks a lot for your help. I called Acura and found out a new dvd upgrade version is coming next month.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Lexus LS-V8
    BMW 550I-V8
    M45-V8
    E550-V8

What's wrong with a RL V8?
    What's wrong with a RL V8?

It'll probably be FWD! :P

j/k
    Actually, I've heard that they might actually be contemplated a real RWD platform. I've got my fingers crossed! ;)
  • galabargalabar Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

What would be a good source for a replacement key fob for an 05 RL? Do I have to do this at the dealer?

Thanks!
  • sbaraneksbaranek Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys. I got tempted by the local non-Acura dealer with their 2005 RL with 34,000 miles on it. I got the price at 21K OTD. It seems to be in a very good condition. What do you guys think? Any comments would be highly appreciated.
    If I decide to get it, is 100,000-mile/+4year warranty (Acura) worth $1,400? I'm thinking about it, too.