Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Don't feel bad. Just remember how many 'vettes you would need when going to the store or carrying friends around :)

Myself, I stick with what works: Bimmer owners with BIG egos and cars twice the price of my SSEi.
    Its great doing that stuff with a Bonnie, but the problem is that the car LOOKS fast. Best stock sleeper? Regal GS or Park Avenue. I'd LOVE to smoke a 5-Series with a PA!
    I feel kinda bad about not being able to go up there with the rest of you (Jersey is quite a drive from Florida!) as I would really like to go. Alas, I can't. I do have an idea, though.

If any Bonnie/Aurora/LeSabre/whatever owners have a digital camera or a scanner, y'all could take pictures of the Gathering (especially what the lot would look like!) and maybe post them in the Bonnie Owner's Club Photo Board. Just an idea...
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Great idea to provide the rest of us with the next best thing to being at the gathering. Ken - Will you take care of showing the rest of us what we missed?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I'll see if I can borrow my father-in-law's digital camera and take some pics that can go into the gallery.

I hope we get some interest from other boards - I've posted the event with Aurora (heard back fron Henri), LeSabre, Impala, Regal, Grand Prix, SeVille. Not heard from anyone else yet.

Please talk this event up - it will be far more interesting to have 12-15 cars than 4 or 5. I can't imagine this being a bad location - so many people and new cars in the Jersey suburbs - got to be plenty around that would be interested. Maybe you local guys could do some local publicity there.

Hoping for a good turn-out

Ken
    Hope you don't mind, but I started a new topic on the main Sedans board about the event. You should probably check it out in case anyone has questions. Hopefully it'll draw more attention.

I'll try to help out a bit here on the Boards. I feel bad that I can't come! :)
    I feel kind of funny trying to arrange something so far away myself! Hope it works out well.

Ken
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    ken, i guess i didn't understand your post- sorry guy- again- i agree- GM BASHERS NEED NOT APPLY!!!!
    looking forward to seeing everyone

FYI- in the past week and 1/2 I have seen in various locations- Newark NJ, Bloomfield NJ, Sparta NJ and along RTE 80 East & West -
    *ALL Bonneville SE'S- Silver, Midnight Blue Metallic and Bronze Mist- I think the word is getting out there Ken-

Have A Happy,

Chuck
    Do you think that one of you ought to have a conversation with your local mall manager there in Rockaway to ask permission for using the parking lot? I have no idea how many may show up - not a lot of responses here at my end. It could be embarrassing if we end up with a 25 plus car show and the security guys decide to give us a hard time about not having sought permission in advance.

Chuck - Drag those SE's over to Rockaway! I want to see a Bonneville in every color offered!

Ken
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Ken,

That was a great question! I called the mall offices and was told that we should gather at the outer lot, lower level by JC Penney. The guy I spoke to said he might even come by to take a look! I'm really looking forward to this.

Peace

Kevin
    KZM
    Kevin, Bruce, Chuck

Could you send me an email (see my profile) so that I can get your address for future correspondence? That would eliminate having to post messages here every time we wish to contact each other regarding this event.

Thanks

Ken
  • scottnsc1scottnsc1 Member Posts: 16
    Not a good day for the Bonnie. I used the trunk release button in the dash for the first time and it stuck in the 'in' position. The trunk would stay closed as long I was driving, but when I put the car in "Park" after about a minute the trunk would open. I had to 'break' the button mounting to get this to stop. I had noticed in the other Bonneville that I had driven that the trunk button is very hard to push.

My other concern is the rattles in the drivers door and dash. I am going to take it in to the dealer to get these things fixed.

Otherwise, I love the car. I just can't believe how much power (and I have the SE) this car has. 100 mph comes up VERY quickly. We took it on a short trip and it was very comfortable.

Right now we are covered in spring pollen here in South Carolina, so she has a sickly yellow covering, but I am leaving the office in a few minutes and I am going to take care of that problem.

Good luck to all.
    Scott - you'll appreciate this. I've been seeing at least one new Galaxy Silver SE every other day for the last week. I'm beginning to think that these cars are part of a fleet of vehicles used by either a special forces branch of our military or perhaps the advance party for an extraterrestrial entity! There have been no sightings of other color SEs - only silver - and all are driven by men in black suits. Sure glad mine is 'Earthling' Green!

Excuse me - gotta go - my shoe is ringing. It could be agent 99!

Ken
  • mordecai24mordecai24 Member Posts: 26
    Greetings Bonnevillians!!!

After the invite to the Aurora board I just had to come around here and see what the conversations were like on this board...

You guys have just as much Kahonnies as the Aurorians.... Hope I spelled kahonnies right or I just insulted an entire Mexican Food Group... I am trying to rearange my schedule of "Honey Do Days" so I can attend your little (or not so little) get together... I am in Baltimore and only 2.5 hours away... Give or take a point or two...

Hope to see you there!!!

Mordecai
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Only 2 1/2 days but its seems like I actually almost fell off the edge of planet (which, BTW, is up here in Canada). Not much free time of late - our snow is gone and the spring yard work makes that "honey do" list incredibly long. The good news it seems is that I haven't missed much on this forum - it's really slowed down here (but I guess if you add in the "Meet the Members", etc. it's still reasonably active. On that note....

When Pat first suggested the Owner's Club, I checked out the 300M club and noted that it was quite active - these guys are undoubtedly enthusiastic owners but I was a little surprised to see how many little (and not so little) problems many were experiencing. As much as I like the 300M, reading that stuff made me want to go hug my Bonneville and whisper in its ears (mirrors?) "please be reliable...". Not a shot at the 300M, understand, just a gut reaction...

Sorry to hear about Jake's mishap and hope his insurance takes care of it. Conversely, I'm happy for you guys and your Bonne-rama at the Rockaway Mall. I'd love to be there but will live vicarously through whatever pix you post.

Soon, Dan
    Actually, only the 3rd I have ever seen (the 1st being mine and the 2nd being on a dealer's lot) and it was a dark bronzemist just like mine. Not a standout colour but classy, I feel. I think the blue, green, black and red really stand out in crowded traffic whereas the others need to be on their own to be fully appreciated.

Anyway, as we passed this other SLE this morning, my wife commented on how much older than us the driver/passenger were. My comment that we weren't exactly getting younger is probably the reason why she wants me to reconsider the Aztek instead of the Rendezvous to replace our (very) soon to be exiting minivan. Oh yeah like that's going to take 10 years off our ages...

Dan
    Hi - I've seen your postings over in Aurora land and it's great to hear that you may be joining us in Rockaway. That make 2 Auroras so far.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Ken
    I'm seeing a whole lot of SEs lately (well, not like Camry whole lot, but a lot for Bonnies). Probably because of Spring Break down here in Florida. I assume that the majority are rentals. Myriad colors: green, red, blue, bronzemist, galaxy silver.

Iceman,
    An Aztek, eh? You gotta be a true Pontiac guy to take that over the Rendezvous! ;-)
    Are you serious about the Aztec? As much of a GM guy as I am, I could never commit to that vehicle for regular purposes. The only way I would ever consider it would be for special uses like to go camping, etc. I like the reasons my Bonnie turns heads; not the reasons the Aztec does. Maybe if I were a kid again.....
    I think it's the compassionate side that shows through in women more than men - gotta feel sorry for the little bugger and give it a nice home!

Ken
    Bill - I think you must be feeling the strain of too much work or something! Yes you did post - over in the owner's forum and I answered that you're definitely cracking - welcome to the club!

Check over there - think you have responses.

Ken
    Dropped my kids off at daycare the other morning and, coming back to the car, there was another couple standing over the Bonneville (obviously admiringly). As I approached the car, they gushed (periodic waxing protects the finish from drool BTW) and in the ensuing conversation, they told me that they had just bought a new Buick Century (the very car we had as a loaner that same week). The woman peered into the Bonnie and announced that the interior and dash were "just like the Century's" - the man just shook his head and looked at me. We didn't have to say anything else.

Dan

P.S. our experience with the Century as a loaner was very +ve - other than its tach-less instrument panel and dated looking materials for the dash, I personally think it's a lot of car for the money.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2001 SLE and my back bumper is exactly like the bumper that was replaced on your car. I'm not sure what the 2001 SSEi bumper has on it.
    Hope this helps you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, Town Hall had a severe problem last night, and posts made after sometime yesterday morning disappeared in the process of getting TH up and running again. The technical folks have been working all night - and are still working - trying to get them back.

I understand some have already been restored, and more may be coming, but there are no promises at this point.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this situation and trust that every effort is being made to rectify the problem. Thank you for your patience.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Since the invite at the Aurora board, I too have been looking at this board. Mostly I look for posts updating the get together. I am glad that I do, cause I would have been looking for yo guys at Sears rather than J C Penny.

I look forward to meeting you guys and Mordecai24. You realize that this could be the beginning of an annual event for folks posting to Edmunds. That is probably why the guy at the mall liked the idea. People who gather at the mall, spend money at the mall.
    Now that I have my Bonneville, I just feel as though I'd love to drive and drive and drive - and of course meet other Edmunds buddies. So let's hope this meet goes well - and that others will follow. I'm thinking maybe the next meet around Niagara Falls in June - get Iceman down and maybe some of the Ohio or western PA people might take a ride too.

I really should become a travel agent - always planning trips - in fact at work my nickname is "Va-K" for all my vacation trips (fortunately I get 5 weeks a year now).

Wishing a Blessed Easter to all

Ken
    Ken - How about a meet in the Boston area?
    Hey! What happened to the titles?

A meet in the States could be of interest to me but the timing would have to coincide with a vacation and circumstances are going to keep us fairly close to home this year I'm afraid. Perhaps next summer.... If any of you guys do have a meet near the Canadian border, do yourselves 2 favours: 1. gas up on the US side; and 2. buy everything else on the Canadian side.

BTW, I have a background in events management and Ken's enthusiasm has made me think of a few ideas which could make a meet interesting - things like a seminar on performance modifications; exhibits/talks on tires, available cosmetic mods, etc.; talks on basic maintenance and car-care; on-the-track lessons on performance handling; dyno testing; professionally timed 1/4 mile runs (with certificates & awards); contests for modified Bonnevilles and for restored older models; a "Bonnie" parade; Q's + A's with a GM technician; etc. Obviously, these sorts of things would require a certain scale of meet and probably a full weekend (maybe even a long one). Plus tracks have to be booked well in advance and are generally unavailable during the summer. Plus, we'd have to plug into our networks with GM, Pontiac, old-car clubs, local Pontiac dealerships, performance shops, race tracks, etc. etc. I've done this kind of stuff before (not for car-enthusiasts, however) and it's all do-able. Do any of these sorts of things appeal? Any other ideas? I'm certainly not an expert in organizing car-enthusiast type events (in fact, I have never even been to one) and I'm not yet volunteering my services but I thought I'd throw out for your comments the ideas that had occurred to me.

Dan

P.S. for those who celebrate it, Happy Easter!
    Dan,
    I learned to top my tank off Stateside the hard way when I went to Canada a few years back!

All that sounds great! It would be nice to have a 4-day Bonnevillepalooza (or whatever) where attendees stay at a nice hotel (Holiday Inn Express, etc.) and basically use the parking lot for many of the events, like a car show, "Best Bonnie" contest, whatever. A hotel with a conference center would be good too if a rep from GM comes.

Just throwin' a few things out.

Happy Easter (or belated Passover) to all!
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    All-

Regarding personalizing the DIC greeting: I know this may be a question that has already been answered, but I couldn't find it in the past posts. I talked to my dealer about it & they have no idea & never heard of it. One of the guys in the shop said he had seen a Bonneville with a personalized greeting, but he had no idea how the owner had it done. Does anyone have the actual instructions on how to do this? I understand that you need a Techtool to do the programming; it can't be done from the dashboard. Are there limitations, or can you use all 2 lines x 16 characters?

BTW, if anyone sets up a group meet close to Detroit, I'll be there.

Thanks,

Robin
    Robin: the DIC programming is infinitely do-able but few technicians have received the training. Go back a few hundred posts to around early Feb -check out smfran' post #627 for a name and phone number of his dealer - who apparently knows how to do this. Anyway, you do have both lines available but this is not a dyi job.

Near Detroit might be a good place for a "Bonn-e-polooza" given its proximity to (a) GM; (b) the Connolly factory; and (c) Pontiac, Michigan.

Dan
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    It seems that when this forum was spread out into the different strands it was diluted and lost some of its continuity. Posts seem to be down and I personally don't follow it as much. I have to look at all the topics, see which has the most recent post, and then proceede. I liked it better when I had the variety and diversity of all the issues. I enjoyed wading through all the stuff. It felt more connected. That coupled with the frequent technical glitches; have taken a little shine off this site. HOPEFULLY, I am alone with this observation and everyone else is enjoying the NEW look. The picture forum I do like!!!
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    Updated the Zaino on my two rides this past weekend.

They both say they feel a lot better!

Left: 2001 Chev Silverado LT 4-dr Ext Cab, 5.3L, Z72, Traction Assist, OnStar, Heated Leather, etc.

Right: 2001 Bonne SLE, Heated Leather, 3-spoke 17" wheels, OnStar, Sunroof, etc.

Hans
  • snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    DIC programming.

Sho your dealer the manual. About page 85. He'll figure it out. Mine did, eventually.
    ezrapon - I initially wanted to stay in one discussion for the reasons you mentioned. Once I found out you could subscribe to all the linked relevant discussions, I changed my mind. I click on "check subscriptions" from the Town Hall page and it cycles me through all the discussions that have new posts. I think if you try this approach, you will change your mind too.
    Only one word, Hans: Fuggedaboutit!

BTW: I use Zanio, too. That stuff works wonders!
    On the owner's forum: at first I was skeptical, then I saw the merit in separating a few key topics. I liked it better the previous way but I think we could make this work better if we kept "Meet the Members" posts to bios about us Bonneville owners. The rest of the stuff in there would seem to be fit well here but, hey, in the end it really doesn't matter. Like Stephen, I'm subscribing to the whole forum so it works out the same I suppose.

Dan
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    WHAT IS ZANIO???

I am just a humble Aurorian, not use to your Bonne "Big City" ways. (smile)
    Xenon (HID) headlights: has anybody else considered this conversion. I'm currently considering PIAA plasmas or Sylvania coolblues and I'm fielding opinions. Guys?

Dan
    Henry: Have I said I love your car? Zanio is a cheaper version of Zaino, that line of expensive (mostly mail-order) car-care products. Some swear by these products (I am one), other prefer Meguiars (these are good too IMHO). Turtlewax is usually not on the list.

:) Dan
    Spit Shined Surfaces

Just had to get an alliterative title in here somehow!

OK guys - let's get serious about the meeting idea now.

Displays - Super ideas, Iceman. How about having a display of Zaino versus Maguires at Rockaway? Do you NJ guys use both products? I've not used either yet but would like to see the comparison. A local car nut buddy swears by Maguires.

Boston Meet - Smfran - OK Let's do it! Where and When? And who else do you know in the area from other sites, clubs or forums to get it off the ground. I'm game for sometime this summer.

Michigan meet - Sounds like a super place for a really big event. Perhaps get working now on a REELY BEEG SHOW (thanks Ed Sullivan!) for next year? Get the Pontiac factory guys involved - advertise in local papers, travel from everywhere to go? I'd do it for sure - hey any excuse to take my Bonneville out on the road is a no brainer for me!!!

Henry - I see your buddy Mordecai is coming - there must be other Auroras in the area - how about a little challenge here - who can have the best representation - Bonneville or Aurora!!

Have a great (tax) day everyone. I get to hold onto my check for an extra day here - Patriots Day holiday in MAss and Maine.

Ken
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    ZAINO RULES!!!!!

I reluctantly tried Zaino last year and was amazed at three things.

1- It was easy to do (I clay barred first, which was also easy).

2- The result were spectacular, no streaks and a great gloss on the mean black machines.

3- The stuff really holds up.

One problem... how to explain to Carolyn the row of Simonize stuff (20 years old), next to the Turtle wax stuff (15 years old), next to the Eagle one stuff (10 years old), next to the Meguiars (only three years old)... next to $65 worth of Zaino stuff.... geeesh.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.zainobros.com/

Have fun,

Bill
    Bill: I think we all have box loads of partly-used, unsatisfactory car care products. The Zaino link is a good one - their tips, while scanty are solid. I've never done the ClayBar treatment - do you recommend?

Dan
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    Clay bar.....
    Yep, I recommend it. I used the clay bar 'cuz the guys on the C5 Forum raved about it. I was suprised how smooth the paint surface feels after using the clay.
    Only light pressure is needed. Just be sure to keep the clay well lubricated. I used the carwash/water mix recommended by Zaino even though I did use my old Meguiars clay bar (I had bought the Meguiars bar two years before but never had enuf guts to use it).
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    First off, is it my computer or did the formatting change? The posts are now wider than my screen and I am constantly scrolling back and forth to read the entire message.
    What tire pressures are people using? I'm a bit embarassed to say that as I was showing my daughter where to look on her new Focus for the recommended tire pressure, I had never don't it for mine. I had just automatically put 35 lbs. in and was therefore quite surprised to see a recommended pressure of only 30 lbs. Seems low to me as I'm not particularly interested in a soft ride.
    There was an interesting review of the Bonneville in Sunday's Chicago Tribune. At the risk of making this post too long, I'll condense it.
    "Smooth ride and predictable, sure-footed handling that makes it a pleasure to head into and out of those twisting, winding roads just across the border in Cheddarland(sorry Bill, that's what it said). Plenty of power from the 3.8L, 205hp V-6.
    But, wow, does this car need plastic surgery! Bonneville was redesigned only a year ago, and the body isn't aging well.
    Long one of our favorites for its sporty performance in a family-sedan package, the 2001 Bonneville looks bulky and bulgy on the outsid with buttons, knobs, dials and air ducts-more ducts than Chrysler has cupholders."
    The review preceding this one was on the LeSabre Limited and it indicated that the LeSabre, Century and Park Avenue are in for dramatic changes in the 04-05 time frame. I assume that if the Bonneville is still around then, there will be similar changes to it. The whole review just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    mfahey1,

I don't know what's recommended, but on my 17" Goodyear RS's the max psi is 44. My tire pressure sensor showed my tires were low at around 30 psi until I boosted them up to 40 psi and reset. No warning now.

KZM
    Octopus tentacles? I always though of them as elephant tusks! :-)

I, too, was a bit polarized (for the bad) when I saw the Bonnie for the first time. However, the car really grew on me, especially the interior, which I love...well, sans the cupholders!

Pontiac has always been cutting edge, often cutting its own wrists in the process, but they have turned out some unique cars in the process. Pundits say that the Grand Am is overwrought and ugly, yet it's GM's best-selling car. Go figure...
  • refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    Iceman,
    I have the PIAA Super Plasma bulbs. I think there as close to HID as you can get without spending $600.00 or more. Sorry I don't know the conversion rate to Canadian dollars. Everybody thinks their HID lights. On looks I can't begin to count the number of strangers who have told me what a nice car this is.
    Tire inflation I run 32 LBS
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    ......OK, how does it know? I have an '01 Bonneville SLE, and can't figure out how that feature works.

Hans
    That it works by measuring the rotations of each tire to determine if one is losing pressure or not. A tire that lost even a bit of air rotates slower than one with the proper amount of air.

Once again I BELIEVE this is how it works. I used to know it but forgot (sounds pathetic, I know!).
This discussion has been closed.