Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Mine seems to have gotten worse since I started idling to warm car up in below zero weather.
    What would be a reasonable price for local mechanic to repair ???? Also should i let him switch to the standard coolant ! I'm at 80,000 miles so I doubt if GM would offer an $$$ assistance ! Clearly is a GM issue though.
    I don't buy Fords due to transmission and A/c problems. May avoid GM because of the Dexcool!
    Good thing there are imports ! Latest car is a Toyota powered VIBE with Toyota transmission !
  • eaganeagan Member Posts: 25
    well, until now we have dealt with the minor problems with this car...the cheap plastic trim above the sliding door and the rear speakers not working...but now with about 37 or 38k mi on our 99 premiere...the trans is done...don't know what to do from here...warantee is up and this car is only 3 yrs old...any suggestions?? or similar problems??
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Local mechanic diagnosed manifold leak as expected.
    Decided to try some stop leak first before going for the $450. replacement of gasket.
    Now after putting in the stop leak the Check Engine Soon light has come on ???? Since he had torn down some of the connection to find the leak could this be a poor connection ??? Van seems to run fine !
    Do these lights come on at a set mileage ?
    I'm at 78,000 miles.
     Could it be from the Stop leak ????
    Will the light go away if codes are read then reset ? Tonights temp is expected to be -20 for all of you in the warmer parts of the country !
    Thanks.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    My Silo is two years old today (75,300 miles!).

This van has been almost trouble free, only tires and a "Check Engine Soon" light about a year ago that only needed resetting by the dealer ($100, ouch!). Still running original brakes, I check them at the tire rotations, and they still look really good.

No coolant leaking, though my wife's 97 did have the intake manifold problem about three years ago, fixed to the tune of $800. We have also had the transmission rebuilt due to a bearing failure in the fluid pump. The horn on her van quit working a few weeks ago. Checked fuse, OK. Replaced the underhood relay, and that fixed it (only about 10 bucks at parts store). Another oddity on her van was last month when the wiper blades hit each other and broke one of them. I think one may have been slightly frozen to windshield and was slightly bent, causing them to hit.

I would again recommend that anybody looking for replacement tires consider the Michelin Symmetry.
    Rides like a dream, fantastic treadwear, and very quiet. Only $84 at WalMart. Have them on both vans, couldn't be happier. Original General tires were absolutely terrible.

Mikey
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the report. That's a lot of miles in two years!

A lot of the auto parts stores now read CEL codes for free - I wonder if they can reset the light too?

Steve, Host
  • msleymsley Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a '97 Silhouette with only 37,000 miles, thinking I had got a good deal. I have since found out that the lower intake gasket is leaking. The dealer I purchased it from is going to replace it, along with replacing the leaking water pump and replacing the torn belt. From what I've been reading, I'm scared to death!
    Actually, they had to recalibrate the unit. It might have been a bit more involved than simply resetting it.

Mikey
    I think that if the dealer is going to replace the gasket (about an $800 job) you shouldn't have any more problems.

Actually, if I could find a used GM van that I knew the intake gasket and water pump had just been replaced, I'd be more likely to buy it.

Our 97 with the replaced gasket has been fine for the last two or three years since then.

Mikey
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Letsgetmikey, I just looked around the net and it does look like Auto Zone and the rest can reset the CEL with their scanners.

Recalibration would be another ball of wax though and that didn't occur to me since I usually relate recalibration to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and other computer controlled stuff. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • msleymsley Member Posts: 2
    Mikey, thanks for the information. I feel alot better about my new purchase.

I also found out that the A/C compressor was also replaced at 35,000 miles.
  • drivehard1drivehard1 Member Posts: 20
    We have a 1999 Olds Silhouette GLS with 51000 miles, we have had the intake gaskets replaced once, at about 15,000 miles and i think they need to be replaced again, imagine that. When i was changing the oil last night I noticed oil running down the right side of the oil pan. Is it Oil that leaks or coolant from the gasket? Has anyone had problems with the oil and coolant mixing in the engine, and if so what happened? I have had no low coolant lights yet, I also seem to notice a transmission noise in only reverse and drive, almost like a whinning noise. Any idea if that is a sign of transmission failure?
    We have the towling package.
    Not any other problems with this van however.
    If you have the intake gasket problem, there will be a coolant smell around the warm engine, and a low coolant level in the reservoir. An intake gasket leak also may not show up on a pressure test. If it is leaking internally, you can get coolant into the oil (bad).

If you have oil dripping down, this is something else. Could be an oil pan gasket which is not serious at all.

Try to find the highest point on the engine where you see oil. Hopefully it is not the main seal.

Make sure that this leak is not transmission fluid. That might be the source of the noise your hearing when in reverse.

I had a noise coming out of the engine on my 97 that sounded like a water pump bearing going out, but if turned out to be a transmission pump!
    (bad, very bad).

Mikey
    -"they don't build 'em like the used to...they never have."
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    Another possible source of an oil leak is the seal for the oil pump drive gear. I haven't looked at mine, but it should be in the block near the top of the engine. The O-ring gets hard over time and lets oil get past it. O-rings cost almost nothing, but the labor is another story. If the seal is bad it "might" leak down the side of the block and then onto the oil pan. I had a car do this once.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I'm going to try GM's antileak tablets for my minor intake leak when I drain the coolant for my 5 year change. Hope it will cure a small problem.

DD
  • thavillthavill Member Posts: 6
    on the way back from the dealer, having just had my shifter button and a/c level button fixed under warranty on my 01 Alero, the Silo's tranny quit.

No shifting into gear - deadsky! We have 37k on the vehicle, and have been informed that I am SOL without the extended warranty. For the life of me, I cannot locate any info on drivetrain or tranny warranties. I know the B2B warranty is only covered up to 30k, but do we not have a little more on the tranny?

Also, has anyone had any experience dealing with GM on getting them to share the pain? Suggestions comments, rants and raves are all appreciated. Thanks, Ted
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    It's probably 36000 miles on transmission...

Did trans give any problems prior to just not going into gear at all? Most problem auto trans that "go out" completely have problems--slipping, difficulty going into certain gears, noises, etc. before just suddenly quitting. If no previous symptoms at all, could be something external to trans, hopefully cheap & simple to fix. Does tranny fluid look good--proper fill level, not dark & burned looking/smelling? If you're good there, that could be a good sign.

Otherwise, gm should give you some sort of slack on repair cost if only 1000 miles out of warranty (what they should do & what they WILL do, I don't know!). good luck, keep us posted on outcome
  • dmraiderdmraider Member Posts: 1
    Looking for advice anyone may have. Plan to take it to the dealer as soon as I can, but I'm curious in the meantime.

I've got a new Silhouette with about 500 miles on it. Got our first major snowfall since purchased. I had no problems before the snow came along. But today, I'm hearing (and feeling) a fairly loud knocking noise coming (I think) from the rear of the van below the floor. It seems to only occur while on the gas pedal, and becomes audible at around 30+ miles/hour.

Also, the AWD disable light came on. I restarted a bit later and drove for 15 minutes and the light never came back, but the knocking is still there.

Any ideas? The only other symptom I've had is a slight burning smell once parked in the garage, but I've heard that's somewhat typical for brand new vehicles.
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    39,000 miles,

Broken window switch passenger side
    bad rubber seal on driver side slider
    That's it.

Complaints:
    GM please make the middle row of seats slide back further! I can't put the drivers seat all of the way back with my 2 year old in the seat behind me.

Otherwise it's all good, this car is nearly as comfortable as my living room! Great mileage to.
    I remember when I bought my van new, I heard a knocking sound from under the rear of the van, too.
    After looking around underneath, I noticed the spare tire was not properly winched up, and it was swinging around hitting things!

The jack was also not properly stowed. I just figured somebody had a flat on a test drive and didn't put things back right.

Mikey
    Had mine into an oil change place this week, and told them I also wanted the air filter changed, and a transmission fluid change.

Anyway, as I was leaving, I noticed the "Service Engine Soon" light was on. I figured something must have happened during the servicing.

When I got home, I started poking around underneath the hood, and found that an electrical connector was not hooked up to the hose that conducts the filtered air to the engine. There is a small rectangular box with some electronics inside.

After reconnecting it, the light went out after a few minutes.

This must have something to do with the pollution control system. Since the hose has to be moved out of the way to get to the filter, they just forgot to reattach it.

Mikey
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I had some GM card points racked up that were dying to be used, and we needed a new minivan. I found an 03 Silouette GL, Sterling Silver w/ power passenger side door and towing accesory package on a 3yr/36000 mile lease for $340 a month, tax included! I haven't signed for it yetbut the deal has been worked out...is there anything I should be weary of? They said Gap insurance would be another $6 or $7 a month additional.

Based on what Pontiac and Chevy dealers (and Honda for that matter) were shooting me, I think it's a steal. Is it true that Buick is getting this van?
  • loveoldsloveolds Member Posts: 10
    My '98 silo has 55K miles on her and for the most part, she has been a great family van. My wife drives her around town and we take her on the annual family vacation to various beach spots.

We experienced the dreaded intake manifold leak at about 45K miles. We also have had to replace the rear brakes. The van has had one recall on the door. The transmission <often> makes a loud clunk noise when shifting into gear, but no obvious problems. When turning the steering wheel hard to the left results in a loud clicking noise, no problem when turned to the right.

The General's were replaced at 32K miles with Michelin Symentry's - a great tire and well worth the extra few dollars.

We live in the Washington DC area. Mr. Goss (of Goss' Garage fame) broadcasts on the radio here every Saturday and Sunday. Just yesterday, he railed against the 3.4 L GM engine and the Chevy Venture. He cited coolant, long term life and safety problems with GM vans. NHTSA rates the Silo van a one star for offset crash testing -- yikes!

My question? Is it time to dump this baby before the tranny, steering and other systems go nuke on me? A Toyota is a potential - I know several folks that own Toyota vans/cars/SUVs - our GM problems don't seem to happen to them!

Still lovin Olds, but wandering (er, wondering)
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I live in the northeast, so I have never heard Mr. Gross. But I wonder where he gets his infomation. The NHTSA dosen't do offset testing. The only people that do offset testing are the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) / Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). And even they don't agree with their own crash testing. They publish a "Injury, Collision, & Theft Losses" report every September. The September 2002 report places the Silhouette at the top of the list (top is best)as "Substantially better then average" based on real world data (Montana was second).
          As far as longevity, there is no reasonable measure. I could say the music teacher our town's middle school has over 225,000 miles on his 1997. Does that mean you will? "I" think there is plenty of Olds lovin' in your future, but if your are unsure then go looking now.
    I thought up a measure of reliability/longevity. I went to http://www.warrantygold.com and requested price quotes on warrantyies for 2003 Montana, Odyssey, and Sienna. For their Platinum Plan 5 years 150,000 miles the costs were: $1099, $999, and $999. If GMs are so bad, why would it only cost $100 more for a 150,000 mile warranty?
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    One difference is the price of parts, and serviceability. Typically, when a complicated and difficult to service engine like the Maxima VQ V6 gets old and you need a timing chain, you might as well sell the car for as much as it will cost to tear it down adn replace the thing.

The newer toyotas have a tendency to sludge up the V6 motors unless you use a synthetic oil or change a lot. Some change they did to the head from what I read. Toyota is replacing a lot of engines. you can scan these Edmonds boards for tons of info on that.

I'm not totally in love with my 3.4 but once you get the intake fixed, I think it will provide a of service and great fuel milage. A well used vehicle also saves on insurance and deprecition, and your kids are going to trash it anyway. You can get places that will sell you a replacement rug if you need to, and still not have a car payment.

A Honda would be nice but I couldn't get one without nearly doubling my paid price on a used 98 GLS with everything.

Agree with the poster on offset crash. How can it be top rated in front crash and not do decently in offset? The test results vary. The olds has side air bags, you're more likely to get hit in the side I'd guess.
    Tires are the biggest handling improvement you can make! Love my michelins, even if they are a France based company.

DD
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I think much of longevity has to do with driving style and preventative maintenance. If you change your oil as prescribed by the oil change monitor and do the other recommended items you should have a minimum amount of difficulties. How you drive also is a major factor. I would venture a guess that the majority of Silhouette owners are more "mature" than, say, Sienna owners and therefore more conservative in their driving habits.

What bothers me about my '03 Sil is the amount of rattles. The van drives and handles very well and is very comfortable for both driver and passengers. It just seems to me the build quality could be better. Maybe GM will get it right for the next generation?
    One source of rattling sounds is the weatherstripping on the sliding doors.

About once a year, I spray silicone lubricant on the door seals and wipe them down.

This stops the noises.

Mikey
  • nkairnsnkairns Member Posts: 27
    It appears these vans are prone to tranny problems. I have a 1999 Silo and I'm told there is some sort of mechanical issue inside the tranny. Took it to the dealer and they did all the testing etc... and said the problem is not electrical but mechanical. The van has developed a "shudder" between 90 and 120 kms / hr. The "shudder" comes and goes and is not steady. There seems to be a pattern in the "shudder" about every 10 - 15 seconds. It can be felt through the steering wheel (almost feels like a wheel out of balance) and only at a steady speed. Can't be felt on acceleration. Anyone have any idea what this could be and if anyone has experienced anything similar?

The van has 78000 kms (40,000 miles)
    is it definitely tied to tranny? if not sure, could be in wheel bearing, cv joint, something like that...something has a tiny bit of play in it that doesn't show all the time. I've heard a minor problem in a wheel bearing can act like a slightly out-of-balance wheel

good luck
  • loveoldsloveolds Member Posts: 10
    Montana Fan,

You are right and I was wrong. Pat Goss of PBS Motorweek fame hosts a very good radio call in show here in Washington on Saturday's and Sunday's.

His rap on the GM vans regarding safety is the IIHS Offset crash - nothing to do with NHTSA frontal crash. The IIHS 1998 Silo rates a poor, the Toyota a good (the best possible rating).

I'm hoping to keep the van for 100K miles, my wife is a safe and sane driver, she puts about 10K on the van every year. I hope that with frequent fluid changes, the van will make it.
    Just a game of alphabet soup. Wonder what Mr. Gross would say if he knew that the IIHS rates the Silhouette as the safest minivan based on the real world info.
  • thavillthavill Member Posts: 6
    we got the van back about a week later. Turns out that GM covered the tranny as a "one time - good faith", since we have had three GM cars in a row and are looking for another by Oct when our lease is up on the Alero.

Since I was saving money on the tranny, I had them do a full tune-up on the van. That ran me about $394. I also had to replace my 100k mile platinum spark plugs, since 3 of them were fouled. So, is that becuase I use Arco gas, or is it because the plugs do not last 100k miles. In any case, be advised that the 100k mile spark plug claim is not a warranty and they are not guaranteed! It cost $125 for the plugs alone!!

On the ride home, the car hesitated an bucked a little. The dealer was already closed, and I was figuring that this was because the van was on empty...hey guys, couldn't you put a gallon or two in just to keep the crap from foouling my new platinum plugs??? After I gassed up, I still had a lurching in the engine. It was not the tranny, and I figured that the fuel line was clogged or something. The next AM, the engine light came on. Back to the dealership and two more days without a car. Turns out that "they missed a spark plug wire". I couldn't get any more out of the tech and he was not there when I picked it up. I did not get to inspect my parts, but then again I did not ask too and they were closed...but then again - I did not waive my right to inspect either. So, let's just say that the dealership is nice and friendly, but the bottom line is that I am having problems trusting the quality of the product, as well as the workmanship (dealer and GM).

I am not sure if I mentioned this, but we purchased the van and the alero at the same time. The first month we had the alero, it was in the dealership 4 times because the engine light kept coming on. They told me it was because I was not closing the gas cap correctly (it requires three clicks minimum) So I gave 10 or 50 to make sure...still the engine light came on. After having the car in the shop 4 times, they finally replaced the gas tank. That solved the problem. Customer service??? Not really, just a lot of customer PATIENCE!!! I never once received a loaner car (and I did ask) I have worked in their waiting room a total of 20-30 hours in the last 3 years. That sucks folks.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I have now owned my '03 Silhouette GLS for six months and almost 9,000 miles. The van is quiet and comfortable except for a couple of niggling rattles. I changed the original engine oil at 3,000 miles and replaced it with Mobil-1. The oil change meter is at 38% so I will probably get 10,000 miles on this change.

As far as passenger comfort, well I have had no complaints even with seven adults on board. The back seat folds flat and out of the way. It has come in very handy during the move to our new house back in February. While it does not have the hide-away feature of the Japanese vans it is still very convenient.

In all I would rate the Silhouette a 9.3 out of 10.
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    We have a 2000 Silhouette with 28,000 miles and recently on three occasions when either my wife or I was driving the car, stopped for about 20 minutes and when we tried to re start the car it tried to turn over but would not start. After waiting about another 20 -25 minutes it would finally start. We brought the car to the dealer and the first time they could not find anything on the computer to show that there was a problem. The second time they said it was the battery and put in a new battery. This past Thursday the same thing happened and nothing showed on the computer again. They said they did a fuel pressure and fuel volume test which showed everything to be okay. I would appreciate hearing from anyone that may have had this happen to them.
    A possible cause of intermitent problem like this might be the body pass through in the floor behind the driver's seat. This is where wiring goes through from the inside to the outside. You can see it if you look under the car. it is sealed on the outside but not the inside. If mositure gets in, it can cause problems with the electrical connectors. Usually can be seen by the eye. Have it checked out might be it. My breakfast muffin stop had their van die because of this (Thought it was the monthly detailing getting moisture in to clean the carpets). Kepp everyone updated.
    If the car won't start you might try lightly pressing the gas pedal (1/3) while cranking as stated in the manual.
    I had a problem this weekend that I'll share so that others might benefit. I was driving on the interstate yesterday and tried to use the cruise control, but it wouldn't work. Today I looked in my $15 Haynes Manual and was surprised to find a pretty good troubleshooting procedure for the CC. Everything checked okay. The manual also said to check the brake lights because they could affect the CC. To my surprise both brake lights were out. The migh-mount brake light was okay. I changed both bulbs and now the brake lights and CC work!!! Does anyone have a good explanation here? According to the W/D, the PCM is also connected to the CC module. Maybe the PCM can measure the load from the brake lights and hold off the CC if it knows the lights are not working? But why? Are you more likely to do a panic stop with the CC on?
    I had this same thing happen once on a Caprice. The high mount brake light was out.

Since the brakes disengage the cruise, it needs a completed circuit to work properly. If a bulb is out, the circuit is broken, and the cruise becomes inoperable. This may be a safety related thing.

It's also good to know that your CC works, all of your brake lights work.

Mikey
    Thanks for the reply Mikey. I still don't understand. The brake lights (controlled by a normally open switch on the brake pedal) are used to deactivate the CC. The CC doesn't know the brake lights are out because the brake light circuit is not complete when the CC is engaged. There is another switch mounted on the brake pedal that is supposed to disengage the CC when the brake pedal is pressed, but it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the brake lights. Oh well. It's fixed and it cost almost nothing.
    1999 Silhouette

My fuel gage has stopped working. It always registers full. When I turn off the ignition, sometimes it moves to the correct level and sometimes not. When I start the engine it always returns to full.

Any one have any idea where the problem is? Sensor, relay, ????
    I don't know why a blown bulb can prevent the cruise control from working, it just does.

I don't understand the infield fly rule either. Or most of the rules in hockey.

Mikey
    LOL!

Ain't it the truth! As a layman/shadetree mechanic who has progressed, over the last 25 or so years, from working on old late 60's/early 70's Fords & such, to late 70's/mid 80's Subarus (all of which were relatively simple to work on & figure out), to now trying to figure out my 01 silo, let me just say that looking at wiring diagrams/schematics for these late model vehicles can leave you way more confused than before you opened the manual!

its good info to know about that odd brake light thing though
    I gave my mother in Law a '94 Buick Riviera it has 115,000 miles on it. The Fuel gage got stuck I suggested she do nothing, fill up every 200 miles and save the cost. The car fixed itself a couple of months later. The way these new cars work maybe the gas cap was loose.
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    The passenger side front window went down but neither the passenger switch or the drivers switch will bring the window back up. The switch connections look tight. Wanted to save a trip to the dealer, any ideas what the problem might be?
  • slater3slater3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am new to the van world. Tomorrow,Saturday,June the 7th. I am going to test drive and look at a white,2000 model with almost 40,000 miles. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Need a van for the family is growing and have limited income right now. Is this year good? Any recalls you know of? Thank You. What price seems reasonable for this clean van? Only 1 scrape on lower spoiler below bumper from a dip probably? What should I check for as to most problems associated with this van? If anyone knows?
    Slater3...
    I have a 1999 Silo and with 81000 kms - (approx 50,000 miles) and these are the issues I've had with mine. These appear to be common to the Venture, Montana and Silhouette

INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
    Most of these vans develop leaks (both external and internal to the motor). Very expensive to replace. Check and see if this one has been done.
    Cost $100 - GM offered assistance. Actual cost was $700

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS
    My torque converter went at 75000 kms and so did a selenoid. Total cost with GM "goodwill" assistance was $600

FUEL GAGE
    Stopped working recently. Starts to move off full when the tank is about half full. I haven't fixed it.

Norm
  • downhill1downhill1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 99 Silo with 110,000 miles on it. A couple of mths ago she complained that the tranny was not shifting correctly. I took it for a spin, and all seemed fine at first, then it started shifting real hard and slipping. I am thinking about the $2k I am about to shell out & a friend happened to call while this was going on. He is one of the top techs on Learjets, but didn't know about his advice on this. He said that seals dry out on some pistons (?)in the tranny and things start slipping and and you have problems with shifting. He suggested I drain one quart of fluid out and put in TransX, run it for a couple of hundred miles, flush the system completely, and add some more TransX with the fresh tranny fluid. He says the gearing/mechanical parts in todays tranmissions should last several hundred thousand miles. He has gotten over 200k on 2 Chrylser vans w/o tranny problems - but while running TransX. One of them had the same problem about 125k and it ran another 100k afterwards before the motor quit. Anyway, I went to O'Rielys and asked about this TransX. The guy there said he didn't no much about it...but the tranny shops in town buy quit a bit of it. That was 5000 miles ago and the tranny is smoother than new. Total cost with flushing about $100. Thought I would share this with everyone. I replaced the tranny in my Tahoe at 65k several years ago at a cost of $2200 - wish I knew about this then. I will post again if this is not a long term solution - we put alot of highway miles on the vehicle.
    I have a 2000 Silo. So far I have not had any out of warranty repairs. However I did have the infamous intake gasket leak that someone mentioned a couple of posts back that was repaired in warranty. The gasket leak is very common in GM V-6's and a couple of V-8's. Have a dealer check the service history to see what's been repaired.

I like the van very much. It runs perfect, rides good, lots of room, good gas mileage. Mine is the Premiere with all the bells and whistles. The TV/VCP is a lifesaver with small children.

Basically I think these vans are good. Maybe they aren't as "perfect" as Toyota/Honda/Madza, but they are also less expensive. Right now I would say I would buy another one. There is also a huge, emotional debate about safety. If you desire you can read dozens of posts about how safe or unsafe these vans are. The more you read the more confused you will get. Good luck.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I own a Montana and I am so far fully statisfied you should'nt worry too much about the Olds.

The others van aren't perfect, they have their fair amount of trouble, tranny, sludge etc etc.

On the safety side, understand that if you reproduce exactly the NHTSA test on the road that you are going to die. Other than that,you can have all kind of accident and you dont have to worry since it is the the van with the best records in regards of insurance company.

I'll say go with it, it's a great value
    We have a 1999 Olds Silo Premiere. The air bad warning light has come on a couple of times lately, but it's only happened a few times. Has anyone had this problem? What was the solution? The way it's acting it appears to be a ground.

Thanks

Bob