Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    I did a quick test a few weeks back. High temp paint discolors quickly and is harder to clean than the straight aluminum.

I am planning on using black grill paint on the inside of the tips to keep in consistent.

I am waiting till after the new mufflers are on to fiddle.
  • dmckeowndmckeown Member Posts: 107
    Good to hear about another 2000 SSEi owner joining the performance minded group here . How long have you been following this forum and how many miles on your car , color and options ? Also , what pipe did Midas want to change on your car ?
    I had the tire pressure warning come on a few months ago after a long trip . Checked tire pressure and sure thing , one was 3 lbs low . Pretty good , less then 10% diff. After pumping tire up you have to reset the computer or it continues warning , just like oil life warning .
    Once again , thanks for joining us in the small pulley club . Doug
    I am thinking about having mine polished smooth on the inside and chrome plated , then clean up would be quick and easy . They should not get so hot as to discolor like headers do . The sales specs on car stated that the tips were chrome , but mine sure aren't .
    Thanks for car sales history ! Now , what is it going to take to get you in the small pulley club?
    Want to buy a slightly used 3.50 ? I know your in a lease , but a first level pulley and a slip in K & N air filter would make you so HAPPY and if you have the tool in less then 1.5 hours you can be back stock for under hood warranty issues , if that should ever have to happen . So far their is five of us happy 2000 SSEi small pulley folks , do I here six ?
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    1)My tire pressure warning also came on under the same situation as dmckeown. I forgot about having to reset and was frustrated until I pulled out my owner's manual!
    2)Exhaust tips are probably brushed aluminum; not chrome. Which sales specs said they were? I'm still thinking of spray painting chrome. If they do discolor or get too dirty to clean, I figure I can repaint.
    3)The longer I have the car, almost 13,000 miles now, the more I'm craving more power. I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or you guys are having an effect on me! Do you think my dealer would install the smaller pulley and K+N filter for me?
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    The topic says it all. Should hit 33,000 miles this week, after six months on the road with the new SSEi. My warranty will be gone within five more weeks, so I guess it's time to start getting serious!

The sway bars make the car feel like a real sports car around the corners and switching lanes.

Still gotta get more power... Been having all kinds of exciting dreams about how much fun this car would be with 350 horsepower and no speed limiter. Here are a few random thoughts for the half dozen other enthusiasts out there...

Exhaust - for the record, I took the entire exhaust apart a couple weekends ago and checked things out. The head pipe is actually only 2-3/8" inside diameter right before the catalytic converter. It looks much larger from the outside, but it is some kind of double-walled heat and/or sound shielding pipe... I think the hot setup here would be headers, stock converter, 3" straight to the Y (resonator in the neighbor's trash anonymously), then performance mufflers with 2-1/2" ins and outs. Tips would be personal preference, but I am leaning toward the double tip Borlas.

Intercooler - with free-flowing intake and exhaust, I would guess this to be the single biggest gain we could make (excepting nitrous oxide injection). I have really struggled with the hood clearance issues, and have yet to come up with a valid solution.

Induction - I think cold, ram air is the way to go. If I ever to solve the hood dilemma, I would like to have two small scoops take in air through the hood. With the hood closed the ram air would route to the open top of a Thrasher-like airbox.

Computer - I haven't made any progress in this area (yet). Somewhere there must be someone who can access the code, and undo or 'adjust' the speed limiter. I want to flex my ZR18's. One of you smart folks out there must know someone who can figure this out.

Suspension - still plan to lower the car - 1" in the front, and 3/4" in the rear. This would reduce the drag coefficient and lower the center of gravity. Also plan to increase spring rates by 10%. At this point, I would guess the car would pull 0.90g in the corners. And, it should feel stable up to 160 or so...

Hope some of you find my ramblings to be inspirational...
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    I painted the tips with black high temp satin... then steelwooled the back edge. It is really easy to keep polished and I like the looks since it hides the round pipe opening back in the tip (that is the exhaust looks like a big, rectangular pipe)
  • tmfnursetmfnurse Member Posts: 2
    I went to testdrive a 2000 se bonneville...i took
    it on the feeder and it seemed like everybody was
    passing me...it seemed that the speed odometer was
    reading 7-10 miles faster than what i was really
    going...later, my dad and i drove side by side with cellphones in place...the speed odometer on the bonneville was reading 8 miles over than what i was actually going...anybody else have problems with this???...this is not normal!!!
    Where have you been?!?! I may take your advice and spray paint the tips. I'm still debating between chrome and black. What do you mean exactly by "steel wooling the back edge"?
    The air filter is a no brainer. The pulley!! The dealer will not install. I can almost guarantee that.
    Never seen that problem. Stupid question: Was it reading MPH or KPH? The E/M button on the dash switches things back and forth.
    Pull up edmunds pricing and spec's for 2000 SSEi , its diff for 2001 , and it states stainless exhaust with chrome tips . You have to look in the SLE spec,s ,SSEi specs are in addition to sle . I saw it in a couple of other places also , can't remember where
    I would not ask at your dealer to install an after market pulley . I would buy the the tool , it is not that hard of a job . But you could go to the Club Grand Prix net site and contact your area club and find out what shop's in your area have changed a pulley if you don't want to do it yourself . Most likely one of the club members that owns a tool would do it for you . If you do this mod you won't take the pulley of unless you go to an even smaller pulley !
  • pipes3kpipes3k Member Posts: 5
    I took some 200 grit sandpaper and cleaned my tips up. I've been thinking about taking them off and polishing them.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    The "official" Pontiac literature that I have seen (the 2000 Bonneville brochure that I got back in late January) only specifies "Exhaust, stainless steel". There is more detailed literature on the GM Media website that indicates, under the SSEi option package, "split dual rectangular stainless steel exhaust tips". I think the Edmund's data may be incorrect about the chrome. I have not seen exhaust tips different from my car's on any other Y2K Bonne (and finally starting to see more on the road!), and they're all turning black. I've been able to keep the smooth trailing edge clean and shiny just by wiping it down at wash time, but the inside is not easily cleanable.

I have wondered about the accuracy of the speedo, too. I have not performed a comparison test with another car, but I have noticed that at some speeds (more noticeable below 70 mph), the gauge reads 1-2 mph higher than the HUD. Not a big deal (kinda expect this type of thing on a GM car).

My parents have decided to trade their '93 Bonneville SSE in because it is starting to nickel-and-dime them. Had to replace some O-ring seal on top of the engine for the second time; had to replace the anti-lock brake system; had to replace the volt gauge in the I/P ($30 part cost over $110 to install); and other problems that have required repeat visits to the dealer to get fixed right. They have loved the car, but a new Bonne is not on their radar right now. They have seen mine, but not driven it. I need to do some selling.
    I suppose the exhaust tips could be stainless. I've just never seen it in a rough texture before. Usually stainless steel is smooth and somewhat shiny, like "silver" ware. I'm still leaning towards painting them aluminum.
    I think I'll start my mods slowly by changing the air filter. Where should I get it and how much should I expect to pay?
    Smfran... I've been lurking (watching/reading but not contributing) :)

I walked out into the garage and took a photo of the tips... painted black with the trailing edge still polished metal. (I had to show off and get the nose of the C5 in the photo )

http://members.home.net/weshelton/IMAGE05a.jpg
    I got mine from Martel Bros. www.martelbros.com

Though if you go to K&N site they list a bunch of online retailers.
    They are installing the mufflers today. I could not get away from work to watch (nag), but we shall see this afternoon.
    Thanks for making the photo available. Now I'm thinking that painting the inside black is the way to go; no dirt issues. I could then paint the trailing edge with aluminum paint or just leave it polished metal. Good to hear from you again!
    Got my car back, with the Flowmaster on. Sounds like a V8 at idle, much more normal under throttle, but a much deeper aggresive tone. I little drone at highway I think. I'll have to see if it is just me or if my wife comments on it.

Power is hard to tell. I'll let the PCM think about it for a bit.

As for the install, it was more work than I had hoped for. The muffler is 4" longer than stock. Also the pipes after the Y are 1.75 inches, the inlet is 2.25. Some work had to be done.

Now it is a much straighter shot from the resonator back. No Z curve after the mufler either. I will try to snap some picks for anyone who is interested.
  • phildo75phildo75 Member Posts: 22
    What kind of 0 to 60 times are people getting? I'm having a battle with Pontiac I ordered the performance axle ratio and they didn't put it on
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    snap away I want to see this set up. I still wonder if a catback (sans resonator) will be liveable... the drone scares me. send pics to ezra@att.net....phildo 75...they lied... one axle ratio is all there is.
    sorry...ezrapon@att.net
    Saw something in November issue of Car Craft magazine about Mike Cooks SSEi hes running at the salt flats turning out 455 hp at 6000 rpm . Engine work done by Richard Lee Performance Products included intercooler , ported/polished heads , headers and super charger worked on by Magnuson . 4T65E Transmission done by Hydromatic Motorsports included final drive ratio change . Now we know who is walking point for all us SSEi performance fans
    they show an optional performance axle ratio.It is a nc option but they didn't put it in even though I ordered it
    The performance axle ratio is standard in the 2000 SLE/SSEi. It is an available option in the SE.
    Ok, it's been a day or two. Whats your take on the exhaust? Did your muffler people offer anything helpful? Why didn't they go with a larger diameter from the resonator on back? Did they discuss the usefulness of the resonator? I'd like to lose the resonator and add the bigger pipes and performance mufflers all at once, but I'm chicken and waiting for someone else to do it first and comment on it. I could live with Z/28 type sound, but not the hoosier pick-up truck dual exhaust I hear everyday around here!
    On the super charged 3800 in the SSEi I have only seen the 2.93 final drive . The 3.05 is standard in the SLE . My 93 SE with the SLE option package has the lower "performance" ratio , as does my wife's 99 Grand Prix . Both of those cars turn 2400 rpms at 75 mph , my 2000 SSEi turns 2000 rpms at 75 mph . I think GM trys to limit torque steer in the super charged cars with the high final drive . I wish it was an option , I sure would have got it
    The stock exhaust tips are aluminum, just like on the GTP.
    OK, as someone has pointed out it has been a few days, so here we go.

Performance, noticeable improvement. Mostly in drivability. Engine revs easier and tranny (for some reason) shifts smoother. No hard numbers other than I can no longer peg my stock boost gauge very easily. Before the exhaust with the 3.25 pulley pegging the boost gauge was easy. No it is hard, makes sense less back pressure. GTP'ers report the same thing.

I am going to call flowmaster about the drone. It appears to be only in the car itself, no out side. The exterior tone of the mufflers I love. So I guess the noise is internal resonance. IT is worst from 1800 rpm to 2500 rpm. Cruising speeds. Not too bad at highway, road noise mutes it, but around town a little much. I have some ideas I will run by flowmaster.

As for suggestions, my muffler guy opinions mirrored my own, pulling the resonator will make it louder, will help performance under WOT, but probably hurt it during standard driving. His take is the flowmasters flow too much to remove the resonator. With a more restrictive muffler you could probably do it.

Changes: The Z curve leaving the mufflers is gone, just a smooth 30 degree.

I would replace the pipe leaving the resonator with a 2.5 to 3" split then make the T a 2.25" legs. Fit better into the mufflers (could use 2" if you order a different muffler part #). The large piping past the resonator will probably shift the drone range (so would removing the resonator). I would expect anything that increases the energy (temperature) of the the exhaust gases when it reaches the mufflers woudl lower the drone rpm range. If you decrease the energy of the gases the it would increase the range. That is a guess on my part.

One other note, flowmaster includes a warning the the mufflers suck a lot of heat out of the engine compartment. It appears to be true. The eninge is running a touch cooler.
    When I ordered my car in Dec. of this year they offered an option for a 3.05 axle ratio,option F83.It was a no charge option on the SSEi and the SLE.It was available on the SE pkg level II ISB.I never got mine which I ordered.

Also where do you buy the pulley set from. How much performance difference between the 3.5and the 3.25?
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    OK, folks, I just got my 2001 Bonneville brochure. Three changes are worth noting:

1) There is an optional 3.05:1 final drive ratio for the SSEi. My 2000 SSEi has the MN7 transaxle with the 258 mm. torque converter and 2.93:1 final drive ratio.
    2) OnStar is standard equipment.
    3) The optional chrome wheels look different - much cleaner (in my opinion).

Didn't notice any other significant changes...
    Since it's a cold/windy/snow showery Sunday here in New England, I decided to visit the old Bonneville Town Hall where we all started. It was very interesting reading the old posts. One question comes to mind: Where are all the regulars that used to post? How about an update from you if you are still out there.

I've purchased the Hi Temp black and chrome spray paints and plan to do the inside of the exhaust tips(black) and the trailing edge(chrome).
    I visited your web site and enjoyed your pictures. Three questions for you:
    1)What is a C5?
    2)What cars do you still have?
    3)What is the significance of h101? - I see it's your Vette plate and on your sail.
  • bonsfobonsfo Member Posts: 1
    My first time here. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.
    The Edmunds write up for the 2001 SSEi says Option Pkg 1SB is $0.00 and includes Remote Keyless Entry System, Full Feature Theft-Deterrent System and Rear Deck Spoiler and that it is NOT available with Option Pkg U1S. Option U1S is the Delco Trunk-Mounted 12 Disc CD Changer.
    How can I find out what part of Option 1SB you give up if you get U1S the Trunk Mounted CD Changer? Everything listed looks like standard equipment on the SSEi. Is there someplace at Pontiac or Edmunds.com I can go to to really understand the details of these Options?
    I'm not really excited about an aftermarket CD Changer that connects through one of the FM buttons.
    Any help you can give me would certainly be appreciated. Jerry
    If you want a cd changer, you have absolutely NO CHOICE, but to get the factory installed unit. No after market unit will work with the Bose radio, and the pontiac changer won't work unless its installed as a factory package.
    Teh Gm power train site does not list the new transmission yet. When they post it I'll see what the difference is. Maybe a couple of tranny manuals and we could make the change.
    Responding to smfran's (Sun 29 Oct '00- 09:33 AM note :)

<<I visited your web site and enjoyed your pictures.>>
    -- Hey, I'm flattered... I clearly have too much time on my hands...

<<Three questions for you: 1)What is a C5? >>
    -- It is a fifth generation Vette... I have a '98 black coupe... picked it up in Bowling Green (the museum delivery option) at the National Corvette Museum... which is just across the highway from the Vette plant. It was a truly wondrous day and a spectacular two day drive home.

<<2)What cars do you still have?>>
    I'm down to three :)
    - My wife's '89 GrandAm (Grey with crank up windows... and under 40,000 miles in eleven years.. just what she wants... geeesh
    - The '98 Vette... magnificent machine...
    - The 2000 SSEi (also black), also a great car.

<<3)What is the significance of h101? - I see it's
    your Vette plate and on your sail.>>
    -It is the racing number of the sailboat, H is the lake designator for Lake Mendota, 101 is my number. I'm a sailboat racing addict.

The car pix are fun, aren't they. The black '62 Bonneville convertible was new when I was stationed at Fort Devens in your neck of the woods. The powerboat was also new at that time and I had it out at Lake Shirley when I was there, in those days I was a water skiing nut. The boat still looks great, 'cept it's Johnson V4 has long since been replaced by a Mercury straight 6.
    The difference in performance is very noticeable between the 3.50 and the 3.25 performance pulleys. The 3.25 allows the super charger to bring on the boost much sooner and it does reach a higher level of boost .I would not have a problem recommending the 3.25 as long as you run good 93 to 94 octane gas and at least a K & N replacement filter . I run 94 octane with NOS octane booster or 100 octane pump gas (Coastal) and have a 9" cone style K & N filter in a modified Trasher cold air induction and love the increased performance . I also have a 180 deg. thermostat to help lower eng. temp. and thus reduce Knock Retard . The 3.25 pulley needs a shorter drive belt , I went with a Goodyear Gator back belt
  • bonnieperfbonnieperf Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Doug,
    Got the picture of your Thrasher CAI. It looks awesome. The picture convinced me that I have to get one and I realized I really have to clean my engine compartment. Where did you get yours?

Thanks again,

Chris
    I called Pontiac and asked about the performance 3.05 drive ratio in the 2001 SSEi and was told only the 2.93 would be available this year , I wonder what gives ?
  • bonnieperfbonnieperf Member Posts: 5
    The Thrasher site says that the CAI is made for the 97 or newer GTP. My Bonnie is a 95. Is this a problem? Maybe I should ask them.
    Sorry , I thought you had a 2000 SSEi . I would say that Thrasher will tell you the same thing they told me , they dont make one to fit your car . I was on my own in making the modifications to the air box . Do you have a95 SSEi or is your car na ?
    What the heck happened , are we back to the old site or is it just me ?
  • bbell23bbell23 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and seeking help. I just purchased a 2000 Bonneville SE a little over a month ago. The car now has 1700 miles on it and I took it in for an oil change. The guy who changed it showed me the dipstick and pointed out that the oil was very dark and I was about half a quart short. They didn't think it was normal, and I tend to agree with them. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help is appreciated. Please feel free to e-mail me at bbell23@aol.com. Thanks!
    Most of the vets are still here. Question:
    I changed my pulley a couple of weeks ago, and the car seems to be getting faster as time passes. Is this because I did not disconnect the battery and the computer is slowly catching on to the new hardware? The weather is getting cooler, but these 200 foot burn outs are outstanding (showed an upstart in a 2001 SLE whar the i stands for.) Hows the exhaust drone? I wonder which way the drone would be affected by resonator removal this has to do with body harmonics and resonance and as you say exhaust gas movement. Perhaps the resonator's purpose in life is to subdue the drone. Maybe bigger pipes, less restrictive mufflers will allow a free flow before it can produce a drone. 1984 vettes had the problem drone, had to retune chasis harmonics somehow and reroute the pipes. Any luck on the header front? Hi-Po heads from Kenney Bell might be the next big move... how much can this chasis withstand?
  • zreddzredd Member Posts: 3
    Hello !
    I just finished my first tank of gas in a 2000 se but got only 16 mpg, is that normal?

Also, any recommended modifications to improve performance.

Has anyone put nitrous?

Thanx
    I missed not being able to check in while Edmunds was supposedly upgrading the Town Hall. First they said it would be down a couple of days and then not until the 6th. Meanwhile, we're back. Today is a gorgeous day in New England; sunny and mild. I took the opportunity to spray paint the insides of my exhaust tips black and the trailing edge chrome. I think it looks awesome! I'd highly recommend it.
    16 MPG is low. However, if the gas you put in was not good and you did a lot of city driving, I can see it happening. Keep an eye on it and try different brands of gas. It can make a difference.
    My dealer told me that using a half quart of oil between changes is normal on the supercharged engine. I never experienced it though on my previous non-supercharged 3800 engines. As far as color is concerned, I would check it 1500 miles after the oil change to make sure the color is not too dark. If it is, ask your dealer what is normal.
    If you don;t disconnect the battery, it takes longer for the PCM to adjust to the changes.

Doug, did you pull your resonator?
This discussion has been closed.