Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I too am seeing many more these days. I do believe that I have now seen most colours in both body styles (SE and SLE/SSEi) - although I have yet to see an SLE/SSEi in Ken's green. That'll surely be a treat when I do see it (apparently not all body styles were sold in Canada in all colours - making blue SSEi's fairly scarce - though I have seen one of those).

I think resale will hit the SE's more as there would be more coming off the rental market than for the SLE/SSEi body style. Still, you don't see too many bargain-basement prices up here.
    Check this one out: '65 Pontiac Bonneville

Nice in black:

• zzoom1zzoom1 Member Posts: 31
    Perhaps it may be a fuel or air filter, you never know. A friend of mine had a car that stopped running, his dad told him to put in a new air filter and it ran great. You never know.

Iceman, that 65 Bonny is very nice.

Finally, saw GREEN AND MAPLE RED Bonnys yesterday. That's a lot for Tampa Bay area to see 2 in 1 day. Both great colors. I waxed my Maple Red the other day, and I have to say, Pontiac did a great job with that paint, after wax I could see reflections in paint with hardly any distortion.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Those were truly magnificent looking cars. I was 10 when the 65 was out and it sparked my lifelong interest in owning a Bonneville. An elderly neighbor had the model shown above in turquoise (actually a Catalina - very little difference) and I used to ride my bike past their house just to look at that car.

hmmm - maybe someday a vintage Bonneville?

Dan - thanks for the pic.

Ken
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Thinking about a SSEI. You are all talking about colors which colors look the best on the SSEI?
    Go for it Wesley! IMHO, the best colours in that config are (in order): black, midnight blue, dark bronzemist and maple red. The other colours look pretty sharp too - I saw a white SSEi and this is one rare bird and pretty sharp looking too!

Let us know what you decide and join us if you buy!
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    I am kind of partial to the Dark Bronzemist Metallic. Make sure you see it in the sunshine, and you will be sold.

The SSEi is a great car, you won't be disappointed.
  • ginman3ginman3 Member Posts: 11
    Dan, is that a "421" emblem on the forward part of the fender? If so, that is an especially rare beauty. I recall many years ago hearing one with a 4 speed. The whine from the transmission as it ran through the gears was something that you would never forget.
  • theyustheyus Member Posts: 3
    zzoom1:

Thanks for the info. Will check into both the fuel and air filter first thing in the morning.
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    boosted1 is right about the Dark Bronzemist. It looks great in the sunlight. I have the Dark Bronzemist in the Grand Prix.

I saw a Light Bronzemist in the Pontiac showroom that was nice looking and I saw a Maple Red in a parking lot that looked nice.

I have yet to see a blue in the Bonneville or Grand Prix.
    I do believe it is the 421 emblem. That emblem is lacking on these two - both of which I believe have the 389:

1961 Bonneville: image

1966 Bonneville: image.

The '66 above has a manual tranny!

Looking at these old photos definitely gives me a "one of these days, I've got to get me one" kind of feeling. I hope it doesn't pass.

Hey gang - I just checked out mlm4's site for the first time in a couple of weeks. He's been busy on it and it shows. Looking forward to what he pulls out of the hat next.

Way to go Michael!

H Platform Enthusiast

• zzoom1zzoom1 Member Posts: 31
    In searching for Bonnevilles for 2 months before buying the Maple Red SE, I must say that SLE's and SSEi's, to us, looked best in the black and dark blue. When we could not find a SE optioned as we wanted it, we almost got an SLE in Maple Red, however, it had the 3 spoke chromed wheel. Is it only me, I think the standard issue SLE wheel looks a lot better. Anyway, one of the local dealers got a few more SE's in while we were looking and the Maple Red fit the bill. I do like the 5 spoke wheel on the SE.
    Dan - great pics! I could really see myself becoming an owner of a mid 60's coupe - preferably a 66. But those earlier models were very attractively styled as well - far more so than comparable Buicks I'd say - although the early 60's Olds Starfire was another eye catcher.

Those cars had real Pizazz. We've lost something for sure in the styling of most of today's cars although the trend is toward improvement today.

Thanks for sharing those great shots.

Ken
  • jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    Wasn't it nice when cars had minor changes every year. Compare the 65 and 66 above. My Dad had a 67 Executive 4-dr and I used to know what year just about every GM product on the road was during the 60's and 70's. Now you have to know what colors or wheels are new or discontinued to figure it out. Great pics. Thanks for posting them!
    I agree totally with you - those annual styling tweaks were great - every year you could go to the dealers or the car show and actually see something different than last year. Of course the major styling changes were every 2 to 3 years too. It was good incentive to keep people trading every few years. Imagine the cost of vehicles today if they were to continue making those minor changes annually!

I know that 67 Pontiac too - my grandfather had the Catalina - I remember the front bench seat being rather uncomfortable - and those headrests! Big chrome brackets that were UGLY! I remember washing that soft protruding nose and thinking it needed surgery!

When the 69 came out I thought the Bonneville Brougham 4 door hardtop was about the nicest car on the road - would have loved one back then - today as a collector car - it's too much of a barge and probably gets no better than 12 mpg. A boyhood friend's folks had 65 and 69 Bonnevilles and 72 Grand Ville. I was sooo jealous!

Ken
  • homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Im a little partial - but a clean black SSEi with the swept 3-spoke chrome wheels just cannot be beat. daylight and especially nighttime - it is "the look". I would actually choose white after that, then the blue and dark bronzemist would tie. I havent seen a green or maple - but there isnt really a bad colour for one of these cars - except maybe that baby blue chevy put on the mid-late 70's cars (Impala etc) ewwwwww :)
    I was looking at posts under Paint and Body Care in Maintenance and Repair. Someone talked about the chamois scratching. I wrote the post number down since you mentioned your problem with the chamois. It's #1037. I think I'll go with the 100% cotton towels.
    I still haven't looked over at those links for washing tips yet - got to get to it.

Ken
    I go to thinking about this yesterday - and thought i'd ask for opinions.

Since they changed the body style in our cars - do you think the average age for a Bonneville owner dropped to a lower number?

I suspect it very well may have - since the "agressive" look may put off some of the older folks who always liked to large rounded car look and feel to previous designs.

I bought my first one (a 94) when i was 34. I was 38 when I picked up the 2000. I think I may very well among the youngest old-timers to have one of these. . . . whats your thoughts?
    Basically what the post said (and I may not have it exactly as he put it)is that there isn't anywhere for dirt and grit to hide on a chamois so you're more likely to scratch your car when drying it. There are more places for grit to hide on a cotton towel so scratches are less likely.

On another post under that topic, I read to use 100% cotton towels made in the USA. It said other countries may add additional fibers but still say the towel is 100%. I don't remember what the additional fibers are or what countries they would be.
    the additional fibres would likely be polyester. it doesnt make a suit look good, and it wont help your finish. one of the concerns is with the backing material the loops are attached to...it may not be 100% cotton, as well as the threads used for the edging.

i have never heard a trusting word for anything other than "made in the US" towels, so im not sure you could pick out the offending countries..
    Now if we could just get a 100% USA car!

Ken
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    My Grandmother's got one of the previous generation Bonnevilles (1992, the first year), and she's 69. I was with her when she picked it out. I saw it before she did, and thought it was the ugliest thing on 4 wheels. (I was 14 at the time, 21 now). Anyway, she saw the car, thought it was gorgeous, had the salesman let her look at it. She was sold when she saw all the gadgets and gizmos on the vehicle. In the 7 years she's had it, the only problems have been going through about 3 alternators, and a lot of the plastic around the interior breaking for no reason. She's still in love with that car. I've since come to tolerate the styling, and the 3800 V-6 is awesome (I'd still rather have my V-8). However, the new design of Bonneville is much better looking. I have no opinion one way or another on rounded styling in general. Like I said, I didn't like the 1992 Bonneville when I first saw it, and 1996-1999 Tauruses are ugly, but rounded Jaguars are beautiful, as is the new Thunderbird. It all depends on the car.
    I think you'll have to settle for the cotton!
    I think the average age must be dropping...I'll just leave it at that. :)
    I could get my average age to drop!

Ken
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    You are as old as you feel, and when I'm hauling down the road, my Bonnie makes me feel younger than 60! (the heated seat also makes my back feel better)

Ed
    Mine has the same impact on me - and I'm 40. No heated seats but no back problems either (yet).

>:)
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    I bought a 1992 SE when i was 30 (I wanted the SSEi),

I got A 1997 SSEi when I was 37 and traded that for my present 2000 SSEi at 38. Both my wife and my brother-in-law say I now need to get a radar detector;-)

KZM
    Hey! Are those things legal down there?

>:)
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    I bought a 1992 SE when i was 30 (I wanted the SSEi),

I got A 1997 SSEi when I was 37 and traded that for my present 2000 SSEi at 38. Both my wife and my brother-in-law say I now need to get a radar detector;-)

KZM
  • loud_pontiacloud_pontiac Member Posts: 12
    Except for VA and DC, they're legal anywhere in the US. I own a Passport 8500, which was just proclaimed the best on the market by www.speedzones.com.
    I had posted links to the GM Powertrain site yesterday but the hosts deleted the post claiming that I had infringed on a copyright (I think because I also provided a "img src" link to an image of the engine itself). Oh well, here goes - this time with only the links.

L36: 3.8L Series II

GM Powertrain - L36 specificationsGM Powertrain - L36 torque/hp curvesL36 image

L67: 3.8L Series II - superchargedGM Powertrain - L67 specificationsGM Powertrain - L67 torque/hp curvesL67 image
    I know that I've slowed down recently but this is unusually quiet. Summer time and the livin' is easy....

Friday evening coming home, I met up with a new Camry V6 LE which changed lanes every few seconds - looking for every car length he could get. He ends up beside me at a red and you could just tell he's looking to get past me and pull in front. Light turns green and I take him ...easily. He gets stuck behind other cars and is now hopping mad - several lane changes and 1/2 mile later, we're even again at another red. This time, he peels rubber at the green and... I take him again.

2 blocks later, we're even at our third red light. This time, he anticipates the green in a manner you don't often see: he repeatedly moved forward a foot or two and stopped until his entire car was beyond the stop light before the light turned green. Then he lays rubber. It was like watching a little boy needing restraint at a candy store - if this guy is as unable to holdback in other areas of his life, his wife must be one disappointed woman.

Oh, yeah, I didn't even try to keep up with him in the end - as he had already beaten himself (IMO). He turned off the road about 2 blocks later unto a dead-end street. Can't for the life of me think of the emergency that could have justified that kind of aggressive driving.
    Sorry for lack of attention here - got too many balls in the air and they're dropping left and right!

"Dad - when are we moving to camp? Dad - did you get the battery for the boat yet? Dad - when is the fort going to be done? Dad - I want a Birthday party Friday. Dad - did you make the posters for the boat parade yet? Dad - this , Dad that!" To say nothing of rainy weather every weekend to prevent one from mowing lawns etc.

We had talked about meeting in Mass for a Bonneville get together - sorry guys - can't even get to that right now either - and it's been rainy anyway!

It's going to be a mad dash from here to Labor Day - happens every summer. Going to have catch my breath now.

Ken
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Get yourself together and then we can set up a meet. Keep us posted.
    Stephen
    LOL - kinda feel like I'm caught in a whirlwind here!

We'll get there eventually.

Ken
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Is there only one style of wheels for the SSEI? The chromes I see on this car just don't get it for me.
    Otherwise it means we're all working too hard to keep up with the forum. Seems like everywhere - not just in Bonnie land.

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    The chrome wheels are an extra-cost option on the SLE and SSEi. I have the standard cross-lace aluminum wheels on my SSEi - see Post #2 in the Bonneville Photo Gallery.

Vacation - what's that? (Actually, I'm taking the day off tomorrow - just one day - my first "official" vacation day this year. Wahoo! The rest begins in August. Is it August yet? ;-)
    I originally wanted the "lace" style wheels, but the car we found had the chrome wheel option. My wife convinced me that it looked better with our color to have the chrome rims. In hind sight I am glad we ended up with the chromes. I like the "flash" and they are much easier to keep clean than previous cars I have had with "lace: style wheels.

I gues they have to grow on you a little.

Which ever rim you end up with its still a great looking car.
    I think the lace look better on some colours and the chrome on others - but it's a bit of a toss-up because they're both fine. I like the chrome on black, blue and white and the lace on the others. Any other opinions?
  • bigred00bigred00 Member Posts: 13
    I have the lace wheels and they are a major pain are a pain to clean (it takes longer to clean the wheels than it does to wash the whole car), but I thought the chrome wheels looked too gaudy. You would think Pontiac would have given one the choice to have the optional wheels without the chrome. Pontiac marketing schemes never cease to amaze me.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    My wife and I preferred the lace wheels over the chrome. Personal preference, it makes the world go round. I have the light bronze mist body color and the wheels look good with that color.
    It also comes down to what I am willing to spend money on. I have never paid for other than standard wheels unless I buy off the lot. I prefer to put more comfort options inside the vehicle.
    I actually got to park next to an SSEi, silver, at the "personal performance fuel refilling location" (liquor store) last night and he/she had the chrome swirl rims - BUT - the centre's were different than mine. It kind og looked like a large chrome nut molded onto it, and a tiny Pontiac logo in the centre.
    Mine (2000) has the centre area all flat with the larger black circle and logo in it.

Is this a way to tell the 2000 from the 2001?

I couldnt wait any longer for the owner to come out -
    you got it - one of a handful of (subtle) ways to tell them apart.
    do tell - i didnt hang around the showrooms when they came out - -how can i spot them ?
    For help in identifying 2000's from 2001's, check out mlm4's fine H Platform Enthusiast Site. He left out one though - the On*Star was a mid-'00 addition - and there was no delete on the SSEi. If you see an SSEi and it doesn't have On*Star, it's a '00.
    My vote goes to the chrome wheels just on looks and the above mentioned cleaning aspect of the lace alums. I wonder though, how do they stand up to winters in the Northeast with salt and gravel on the roads. I'd definitely have a set of winter rims if I had those chromes.

Of course my SE model has neither of the above - it has the basic 5 spoke aluminum wheels that look decent and are a breeze to keep clean. Fine for me right now.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.