Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    How was the fit on the new wires? I had thought about the jacobs coils. Just had not gotten there yet. I just ordered an Casper FPR. Let you all know how it goes.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I was watching the local Fox affiliate today and they are runnig a week long special on "The Warners at Home." Unless you are not a football fan, or are from Mars, Curt Warner, The NFL MVP and possibly the best quarterback ever(millionaire) is the center of the special. The camera caught him leaving home heading to Rams Park. He was driving a silver 2001 SSEi with the new wheels. I wonder if he'd want a new pulley?
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Snickle: Coils fit perfectly. Wires fit pretty good. Rear wires are a couple inches too long, which is actually good for those of us contemplating future intercoolers. Front wires fit pretty well. Very impressed with the overall quality of the Jacobs wires...
  • dmckeowndmckeown Member Posts: 107
    Ram Air Technology has heads available in two levels of modification . Both mods flow 212 cfm at intake (stock is 175) . The first level mod flows 157 cfm at exhaust , up from 144 stock . 2nd level mod flows 174 peak . They also offer polishing of the combustion chambers .
    Thrasher finally responded to me , I sent them pic's of the CAI in my car and asked them had anyone installed their headers or intercooler on a 2000 SSEi . The answer I got was not detailed at all . They said headers were easy , about 4-6 hours with some welding needed , but I could not tell if that meant in general or that someone had done it on a SSEi . As for the intercooler , they only said " thats another story " . Go figure
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    You never mention your 2000 Pontiac Montana. Do you still have it and do/did you like it? I considered one for my wife (being a Pontiac fan), but since I also like Toyotas (for her), I went with a Sienna.
    How hard is it to swap the plugs? I was going to swap in Autolite 605s when I do the wires and coils.

I also ordered an Autotans Interceptor. We shall see how it effects acceleration and shifting comfort.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Snickle: spark plugs are easy to swap. The entire job will only take 30 minutes...
    Has anyone been able to note a performance improvement with any ignition related modifications ?
    I think intense is the only one on this page who has made ignition mods. Though I will be shortly.

I am also waiting for my FPR and Autotrans Interceptor.
    For the second time in 14,000 miles my Low Oil Warning came on. I'm changing the oil anyway this week as I'm at 45% oil life. Anyone else been experiencing the warning?
    Intense - Montana?
    I went to my local performance parts auto supply store (called Speed Shack) today to get the K+N air filter. They were out of stock on the "panel type" that the 2000 SSEi needs. They will get it in for me next week. The cost is $45.00. Sound right? What can I expect in additional H.P. and gas mileage?
  • phildo75phildo75 Member Posts: 22
    I just ordered over the internet. I think it was macromotor, Anyway I got there email from the K&N web site. I paid $37 . It will be here in 5 days
    What is this and what does it cost?
    The Autotrans Interceptor is a plugin module you insert in between the PCM and the transmission. It gives you some of the benefits the GTP owners get with the performance shift button.

Basically it increase line pressure to make shifts faster and firmer. It also adjust the application of the torque convertor (That you can disable). It does not adjust the shift point, but for about $80, you can't have everything. I will post a review once I get it installed.

For more info www.autotransinc.com
    It looks like I may have to hold off installing the rest of my mods. It looks like I'll be a father a month earlier than planned. I'll lurk around the board and update everyone when I get some more of the mods done.
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let us know how you all are doing.
    I installed my new K+N air filter tonight. Did anyone else have a bit of a struggle getting the air box back on? For some reason I had to fight with it a little bit to get it to line up right. I hope that after $49.00 plus tax I notice increased power and gas mileage.
    Thanks.

AS for the K&N, you will see the most improvement at WOT. Another benefit is being able to clean it not replace it.
    I hope this early arrival was not caused by any rapid acceleration or lane changes due to your modifications ? Big congrats , first one ? Your not trading your SSEi in on a minivan , are you , a Montana ? they say maybe their not really a mini van
    I would guess about 5hp , filter will pay for itself if you keep car 30 k . It would really help your perf if you were running a pulley . Your in New England ? Next time I visit my inlaws in Massachusetts I should bring my old 3.50 pulley and my install tool and fix that for you !
    Are you still running 87 octane , if so do you ever try a tank of 93-94 ? Have you noticed increased performance in cooler weather like those of us with modfied SSEi's have . I have had a few crisp 35 deg. mornings her and my car is outstanding , esp. with a tank of 100 proof .
    The first few minutes of driving on a cold morning are very nice. It seems as though I have a 350 under the hood for 5 or ten minutes. I assume this is due to the computer making a richer mixture for warm up operation. I wish I could fool it into this mode for ever. I drove to the U of M last weekend on a cool night... 200 degrees constant. Does the 180 thermostat actually lower temperatures... it would seem the computer and/or fan control circuit would circumvent any advantage gained by a thermostat. Anyone seeing lower temps in city/hiway cruising?
  • dmullertdmullert Member Posts: 5
    Hey Gang!

Well, after 7 months of owning my 2000 SSEI, she finally hit 3,700 miles. I finally had an opportunity to drive her in 26 degree weather here in Dallas, Texas (Yes, 26 degrees in Dallas this morning), and she drove like a champ! All I have is the K&N air filter and 93 Octane gas - that's it. This baby reminded me of my old Mustang 5.0 for a while. It seems like the computer does adjusts to the cold weather and after a while, things become normal - not bad though! I do not have the smaller pulley installed yet, but I am letting some time slip by first to get my wife convinced, and one of these mornings, I'll sneak by and install it (he, he, he). She won't notice!!!!!!

The only problem I have experienced with this car so far, is a door rattling (passenger door), and this was fixed by the dealership. The other issue is some minor rattling coming from the sunroof and I will be taking care of that soon as well. Other than that, this car is solid and great fun to drive. I traded my BMW 325 IS for my 2000 SSEI and I am very happy I made that move.

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert
    Hey
    Let me know when you are ahving the pulley party in Mass. I'm in Rhode Island . I will join you and bring plenty of beer. I would love to put a 3.4 on.
    Today was my first day with the K+N and maybe it was my imagination, but the car felt more powerful. Actually I would describe it as smoother acceleration. I have been using 93 octane lately as according to my calculations, if I get a minimum of 2 extra MPG it is worth the difference in cost; not to mention the better performance. I am in Mass. half way between Boston and Providence, RI. I would love to take you up on the pulley offer. It sounds like we could have a good time. What part of Mass. do you come to? No matter where Phildo is in RI, he is less than one hour from me.
    I have not noticed any difference depending on outdoor temperature. The power always feels the same although we really haven't had temps. below 40 yet. I hope what I'm reading is true though as we will get some nice cold weather here soon!
    It is interesting to note the differences in total miles we are putting on our SSEi's. dmullert has reported only 3700 in 7 months while intense is at the other extreme averaging over 5,000 miles per month. When does he have any time to work on his car if he's always driving it?!?! I seem to fall in the middle at 14000 miles in 6 months.
    What 0 to 60 times are you getting?. What is the best anyone has gotten to date and what have you modified?
    I haven't officially timed the car but I do know it's strength is at the high end; not 0-60. The only modification I've done is change the air filter to a K+N. I would love to do the pulley but am waiting for the dmckeown/phido pulley party!
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I have also had my 2000 SSEi for a little more than seven months but only put about 2600 miles on the car so far. It's not that I don't enjoy driving it, but it is my second vehicle. I only take it out on sunny days and it was garaged for three weeks at a time during the spring and late summer love bug seasons here in Florida (love bugs ruin the paint if not cleaned off immediately, and they are a pain to get off!). Drove it to work today and it was only 49 degrees out (finally some cooler weather!) and it sure seems to be more gutsy on the cool mornings. Getting about 19.4 MPG in local driving with a moderately heavy foot.

dmullert - I have the same rattles in the door and sunroof, but have not taken it back to the dealer yet. Also occasionally experience rough idle when the trans is in park after driving the car for awhile.
    Lower outside temps , 50 deg or less with 35 being the lowest (and best) I have yet driven in , are a great boost to keeping engine twmps closer to 180 then 195 . In the warmer weather my 180 thermostat would hardly show a diff. in eng temp when city driving or spirited highway driving . But that great performance you feel for the first few minutes in cool weather , ezrapon , I have for the whole time I'm in the car . This is due to the cold air induction kit , lower thermostat and high octane ( boosted 94 or straight 100) gas I run . The other morning at 35 deg I floored it at 33 mph and had to let off on the gas or burn my front tire up (trac con off)
    Smfran , my in-laws live in Worcester , but also have a 2nd home near the Cape in Falmouth . Don't know if I'm going to see them at Christmas or what . A pulley party , that sounds like fun , three 2000 SSEi's in the same driveway , photo opp ! Takes about one and a half hours per car for the pulley and 180 thermostats . Smfran , do you have a garage or would we be at the mercy of the weather god's ? Gee , if snickle's family wasn't growing we could also have a B & B party , he could help us add the bigger sway Bars and hard Bushing's to help the handling on these cars .
    So how far is it from Worcester to where you live , smfran ? By the way , I got my car 2nd week in May and have 15 k on it and its my 3rd vehicle .
    Using a stop watch my car is doing well under 7 seconds , probably 6.7 or so on a cool day with dry roads . Thats with all my modifications and the traction control off , but out of the hole is not its high point , after 30 mph its great , and passing power , it would suck the paint off my wife's 99 Grand Prix
    Anyone else get a short rough idle after parking the car for a short time. This has surfaced since the pulley. The power from around 30 MPH when it kicks down to 1st is a hoot. I'm a little dissappointed around 40 when it only drops to 2nd. This is probably a cam or axel ratio issue with no easy solution.
    I live less than one hour from Worcester and about one hour from Falmouth (where my in-laws live from April - November). I have a typical 2-car garage (unheated though). If you are serious, we could definitely arrange to meet whenever you are in the area.
    I was at my dealership today and checked out the 2001 SSEi. No changes that I could see except for the new optional chrome wheels previously mentioned. I picked up the new sales brochure and saw nothing different about the performance axle ratio. It states that it is standard in the SLE/SSEi and optional on the SE
    I'm about 1 hour from Worcester. What colors are everyones cars. Mine is lt bronzemist with the optional wheels. I must admit it turns alot of heads. Look forward to the party
    I haven't had any rough idle problems and have had either a 3.50 or a 3.25 pulley on my car for over 11 k miles . Have you done any ignition modifications , my system is stock . Could it be a fuel problem ? I know you run high test 93 or 94 , if your ignition checks out good , you might try runing a tank of 94 with an octane booster in it . Most of them have a cleaning action to remove carbon , although I for the life of me can't imagine any carbon surviving in one of your cylinders given the spirited yet careful driving style you have ! For the last 6 k I have run 94 Sunoco with a bottle of NOS octane booster and every 5th tank or so I get Coastel 100 octane (no booster) and have been very happy . You talk with Kurt W about a pulley party yet ?
    I'm as serious as a heart attack , lets do it ! If it dosen't work out around the holidays , I would be willing to make a speacil trip a little later . I think it would be great to get a few more SSEi guy's into the performance category that this car deserves to be in , and the pulley is the most cost effective modification you can do to it ! Plus it would be great to meet you guys ! I spoke with little Queenie and we will be at either her parents in Poughkeepsie or at her sister in Worcester for Christmas , so I told her I wanted to see her sister's family this year , so my vote is in , I will keep you posted .
    My car is black with the chrome wheels , moonroof , 12 disc changer and heated seats . How many miles on your car and is it all stock ? Your interested in the 3.40 or the 3.25 pulley and what air filter set up ? I'm running 3.25 pulley , Gator back sc belt , 180 therm. and a modified Thrasher cold air induction kit . If you want to see a couple of pic's of the CAI in my car post your email address
  • constmanconstman Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 1993 SSEI with 46000 miles.I really enjoy driving this car and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the best performance out of it??
    I'm serious too! I want your old 3.5., but you have to install it. Payment could be the leftovers from Christmas dinner!!:)
    As I'm driving in my Midnight Blue with chrome wheels, heated seats, and K+N, I think about you guys; always looking for other SSEi's. I'm in Rhode Island a lot but haven't seen Phildo. I hardly ever see a 2000 Bonneville. Never mind an SSEi. Today I did see my exact previous '97 SSE in Dark Cherry Metalic while I was in New Hampshire. What a beautiful car that was!
    I spoke to my Little Queenie who doesn't mind having the party here; as long as Phildo brings some Bud Light for her too!
    Doug, I want to see the pics of your car. E mail me at fii@massed.net
    My email address is wheelerphillip@cs.com. I'm looking to go to the 3.4 because it seems to a good compromise between the 3.25 and the 3.5. My understanding is that it won't require a belt change. I have ordered the K&N filter but haven't received it yet. I hope smfran knows the local police . Between the noise and maybe some side by side performance evaluation. I think we used to call that drag racing, we may need some help. My car in college was a 1972 Chevelle SS 454. I'm trying to relive my childhood.

smfran I actually saw a SSEi here on 95 going the other direction(shucks) that was exactly like my car. I didn't realize how striking it is on the road. The wheels really set it off. Look forward to our party. Maybe we can get some other SSEi's together and start a club.
    I wrote to the Grand Prix Store and asked them if they had considered carrying performance parts for the SSEi. The very next day they wrote me back and said that although the SSEi shows alot of promise there are not yet enough people like us out there. They did recommend the pulley and cai they carry for the GTP
    Mine has 7300 miles on it.
    I have a heated garage and a full set of tools. The downside is, St. Louis might be a bit south and west of you guys. I went with the 3.4, used my hand to take tension off the tensioner... hey it worked. I did bend my stock pulley in the process. I'll see Kurt in May at a chairty event we work together, I'll bounce it off him then. If he wins the super bowl again he might step up to a German Sedan... he seems like a regular guy though.
    To start out air filter up grade , either with the K & N slip in replacement filter or a more involved change would be a modified CAI kit . After that a less restrictive muffler like the performance one from Midas that ezrapon mentioned in an earlier post .
    I believe that your car has a M62 Eaton Super Charger on it , a little smaller then the M90 that came on the 97 and latter SC 3800's . This is way all the performance parts state 97 or later . I would measure your pulley and find out what diameter it is ( I think its 3.6 ) then contact Eaton and find out if the shafts are the same dia. and taper , if they are , order a after market smaller pulley and give it a try . If the shafts are diff. , buy another stock pulley and have a machine shop cut it down as much as they can . Good luck
    phildo , the 3.40 can use the stock belt and may not be able to accept the next size smaller , at least in the Goodyear Gatorback . The GTP guy's seem to worry about slippage at high rpm and like the Gator for that reason , it provides more friction . My 3.50 seemed ok with the stock belt , but the tensioner was not where it was designed to be . With my 3.25 and short belt it was a tight fit getting it on , no chance for that baby to slip . I guess I would get a gatorback in the stock size for a 3.40 . Any one with a 3.40 notice any slippage with stock belt ?
    Smfran and phildo , I just sent you guys the pictures of my Cold Air Induction system , hope you like them
    Got them. Thanks. It looks great! I hope to see it in person soon. Is the stock pulley 3.75?
    dmckeown are you in Rochester. we do business with Xerox. What div are you in ? We do speciality media for you guys.
  • constmanconstman Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the info dmckeown, im not sure what pulley i have ill have to ck it. Does the smaller pulley give me faster response or more power?? Im going today to ck into a KN filter, how much should i expect to pay?? Youll have to bare with me, im used to working on the older chevy motors that dont have all this computer junk (lol) on it! Ahhhhh the good ole days!!!! How much smaller should i go on the new pulley?? (and does this require a smaller belt??)

Is there any glitches-problems i should watch out for with my '93??? Has anyone noticed any problems with the supercharger?? Should i have a good life expectancy with it?? Soooooo many questions!!! I just want to keep this beauty for a few years and want to get the most bang for my buck with it!! Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
    I'll leave all the pulley/belt questions for dmckeown. As far as the K+N is concerned, I paid $49.00 plus tax for the panel model for my 2000.I believe phildo ordered one for $37.00 but hasn't received it yet. He got a web address through he K+N website.
    Once again I had some time to kill and visited the old Town Hall where we all started. What happened to all the members that were so active on this site? If you guys are still out there - Check in!
    Intense - Where have you been? I know you drive tons of miles so maybe a trip to Massachusetts for our pulley party/photo op isn't out of the question.
This discussion has been closed.