Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• krubinkrubin Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts as to why my car has a pronounced vibration in steering wheel and brake pedal when the car is between 44-47 miles per hour? Felt most when coasting (non-accelerating). Tires have been rebalanced without effect. Any thoughts?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Glad I have little of that activity on my place. The wind blows most of mine into the woods or fields. My prior house had huge oaks - not only full of leaves - but those acorns are a real pain in the kiester!

Should have washed and waxed my cars yesterday in that unseasonably warm weather but couldn't get to it. Falling behind the curve here now and need some time off to catch up - not likely to hapen though. Poor Bonneville - needs a bath badly!

Ken
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    Not to mention all the leaves that are dragged into the house!

I have one scraggly tree in the front yard and one in the back. I don't have a leaf problem but I wouldn't mind some trees for shade in the summer. I would plant some trees but the length of time it takes to grow a tree, I don't know if I'll even be living here.

The waterspots didn't look as bad on my car the last time I washed it. Guess I did a better job at drying. I still can't get them completely off though. Rather than wax the car, I think I'd rather just not worry so much about water spots!
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    Just stopping by to wish odin2 all the best with the new Bonnie. From all the reports from the Bonnevile Clan, you will enjoy the drive.

Hommer2000ssei, thank you for your tips on car wax and I agree that during winter, slow and steady wins the day. (Watch out for the black ice on the roads, that is double trouble). Is the Zaino wax only available through the internet or can you get it at your local auto store?

mfahey1, glad to see your Bonnie is back and hope it is doing well after being away from home.

Ken, has the iceman bought the new ssei yet? Sounds like he has the bug. Also it is leaf season and the maples are rain down their leaves. I think the biggest tree problem where I live is the sap from the evergreens. I think my father is looking to take then down since the sap gets on his Buick Riviera (1997). I know my dad enjoys that super charger, but do you think he would miss it if I borrow it for a while?!

Well take care everybody, time to watch the Phila Eagles take on those NY Giants!

Drive on....sxb
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    We have quite a few 00-01 Bonnevilles in Madison, often park next to them and not unusual to have two or three in a resturant parking lot. Shows we have a dealer that stocks and sells 'em I guess. I followed an '02 for the first time today. I guess the new exhaust tips are OK, but one of 'em was crooked... it was obvious and somewhat disappointing to see. What struck me more was the bumper is unchanged, so the oval tip sits in a rectangular opening... hmmmm... But it was still one sharp car (maple red).

Our '00 SSEi is now getting close to two years old and has only been back for oil changes and a wheel balance (there was no vibration, just cuz I felt I should).

Up to our ears in leaves and acorns here also.

Bill
    There have been a number of new 2K2 SE models around here on the highways over the past couple of weeks - the front bumper is the giveaway - but I keep forgetting to notice whether or not the side molding is now chrome or body colored.

Still luvin it!!!!

Ken
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    iceman, one smokey burn out and a quick whipping on a punk in a Z/28 and you will wonder how you survived without a lightly modified SSEi; probably change your name to fireman. I probably will hold off on a 2002 until I can figure out where to get a canvas carriage roof, with a sun roof of course. By the way, since I went to dsl, it wont let me post due to some cookie problems. I have to use my I Mac in my classroom to respond. I am always watching and waiting. Things here have changed a lot since the 11th. My wife used to travel almost every week, now they have cut off off travel completely. The only silver lining I can find. Mfahey...I am looking at a split bumper 72 Z/28... see it at fastlane cars website; right here in river city
  • homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Im not even gonna say I have to stop being too busy to come here. :)

Zaino is only available from Sal directly - or even better, one of his distributors. To find the nearest one to you (I cant ship into the states) email sal@zainobros.com and ask for the nearest distributor to you.

Iceman cometh . . . .over to the S/C side. Come on Dan - you know you want to !

And whats that about lookign at old Z's? I have just about decided that in the spring , right after I move into my next place, that Im going to search out a late 70's, very early 80's (second generation) Z28 or simple Camaro to work on and make a project. I used to have a z from 81 - and miss it dearly. When I sell my place, Ill have lotza cash to take a little and fine me a fixer upper.

Dyno results - well, they were not what i expected, and as it turns out the operator screwed up the reports to the point that it reads out he had my car over 9500 rpm. ! ! ! ! Im going back for a re-test when I can get a hold of him and make him agree that the report / test was flawed. Thats when Ill report the truth.

He did run it to the speed limiter for me - and yes it is 220Kph. Man that was something to see it sitting there, wheels just spinning to beat the band, engine screaming and it wasnt going anywhere. Kinda funny.

Later
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    I thought it was Ken who was wishing for a boost in horsepower and gas mileage.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Rod and Dennis sound like they had the old Camaro itch pretty bad( I have a 70 1/2).
    Go to (a href="URL")www.crazyz-28.com(/a) to scratch that itch. Many of the participants are, shall we say, of a different class than Bonneville owners( we at least can spell) but it is fun to dive into the various topics.
    We'll see if this hot link stuff that Dan posted works for me. I'm no propeller head so I may have taken his instructions a little too literally.
    to the S/C side?

aw heck - everyone come on over !

:)

and for the old Camaro , I have received the lord overseer's permission to keep looking and find one to move inot the new house with us nest spring/summer :))))))))))
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Do you all know what was the last year the Bonneville had a supercharged engine? If so, what size of engine was it on? Thanks!
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    2002, the 3.8 Series II, as usual. ;^)
    How do I remove it? No, I'll try to make do without a license plate spoiling the front end look. But I was wondering if I could put the license plate there anyway and keep it covered, removing it only if an officer asks me to... ;^)
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Removal of the front licence plate was the first thing I did to our Bonneville when we got it home.

I don't run the front plate on 3 out of five of my cars because it really affects the appearance of the front styling.

I know that this is illegal, but I keep the plate in the trunk so that it is with car. :)

I have always thought that if a police officer ever asks me to install the plate that I will give in and comply. Its been at least 8 years that I can remember not having a front plate.

Looks are important to us, thats why we all bought the Bonneville...right?
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Somebody who's looking for help deciding on which full size sedan to buy set up this forum. If you're so inclined, you might help him out. I think I did...

>:)

All of a sudden within the last few days in our small town, I have seen 1 SSEi and 2 SLEs, all of which were light bronzemist like mine. This after going for ages without seeing another new body style Bonneville of any sort. Maybe things really are looking up.
    Awful quiet out there. Hopefully, that means everyone is busy enjoying their cars. I washed mine by hand this weekend for the first time in quite a while. I have come to realize that the touchless car washes sort of get your car clean but if you really want it done right, you have to do it yourself. If felt good to run my hands over her sleek curves. Of course, at my age, those will be the only sleek curves I get my hands on.
    The Chicago paper was full of GM concept cars at SEMA, a mumber of which were Pontiacs but none were Bonnevilles. Maybe things aren't looking up.
    Was reading some of the archived postings this weekend and have now got the bug to do a pulley change. Let's see me explain that one to my wife.
    What was that GM site where one can check out TSBs?

TIA
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I didn't read where you said GM site so you can nix the above site I mentioned.
    Kinda funny - we all mention the fact that we dont see a lot of our cars out there . . . and I like that idea in a way . .

BUT

I had one of my multiple sightings again . .

Travelling on a 4 lane highway (2 both ways) I see in my rear view another black SSEi coming up behind me. Wooho, I think - a convoy!

So, we manage to get side by side fr a minute , me on the left , him on the right. Then he falls back, and drops in behind me , so I think maybe he want to follow me and see where i go. Im thinking that my car and myself are quite handsome together, non-threatening, and he is hoping im local so we can chat.

As we approach a set of lights, he hits the left turn lane out beside me - as he is pulling up again (cause I slowed down to wave) out of the corner of my eye is another black Bonne - SLE , 2001 ? to my right. For a moment that is frozen in my mind - there we were - three abreast - all black - at the exact same intersection.

How did the thme song to that show go . .

do do do do , do do do do

:)

Dennis (Im so lonely out there) :)
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    homer2000...

I hope that you all race away from light, superchargers screaming. Sounds like the perfect set up for a friendly stop light race.

Sometimes I gun it from the lights and open her up a bit, my wife turns to look behind us..."who are we racing?", she asks. :) Lots of fun.

Most of the time there is no one there, and I'm just "blowing out the cobwebs"

Got Boost?
    I know the feeling. Just last week, I was at a stoplight, side by side with another dark bronzemist SLE (therefore either a '00 or '01). The driver was an attractive number as well... but I digress. We exchanged smiles and I gave her a "thumbs up". When the light turned green, I let her in front of me (it was one of those merge to one lane after the light set-ups). I've seen her around before - she can't live all that far away from us.

Hey, guess what guys - I was at the local discount place last night buying Halloween candy and I spotted a display of 1/32 scale diecast cars. They had Chrysler 300's, 50's Caddies, a '66 GTO ... and a blue 1957 Bonneville. $2.49 (Can.)

Guess which one I bought?

zoom zoom zoom...
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I went for a three-hour pleasure drive on Sunday morning, because it was such a beautiful day (cool mornings are rare in Florida), and saw not a single Bonneville of any vintage. But I had fun tearing away from the impatient tailgaters on the rural two-lane highways. It has occurred to me that of the few current generation Bonnies I do see, they are almost always driven by men (includes all the rentals). I've got a wallpaper image on my laptop of a silver SSEi on a snaky mountain road with a blonde woman behind the wheel, but I never see that on the road!
    Days, over a week, pass by without seeing another Bonnie...

And those who are treated with its view scratch their heads wondering what brand that beautiful car is from... :^)
    I like that one too?

I am very patiently waiting on a set of overlay decals to place on the ssei badges on the sides.

The guy makes loads of GTP, and I emailed him many months back, but John keeps telling me he is swamped but Im the only guy ordereding - so I have to be patient.

Theses are reflective decals - mine will be black (like the car) so to disguise the ssei badges - until night time - they will be reflective in white . . . sounds cool huh?

go on - if you are interested - ill give you the info on the guy - and if you all order, I'll get mine sooner. i think they are about $20 or so for two.

Dennis
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401

(Just kidding)

Now that I have a week or so of driving with the larger front sway bar, I'll offer my observations.
    The car has a subtly better feel in transient situations, a feeling that the turn-in is better. To be honest, however, only a "car" person would notice the difference. My wife, for example, whose threshhold of detecting a problem begins about at the level of a wheel falling off, would never notice the difference.
    Saner does offer the urethane bushings and end link pieces and in my opinion, these would probably get you 80-90% of the handling improvement and has the added major advantage of being doable for even an amateur wrencher.
    This all got me to thinking that perhaps Pontiac shot themselves in the foot when they chose not to offer a handling package on the SE. To my recollection, every other GM car I've had I have ordered with the heavy duty suspension and always at a very nominal cost. This might have counteracted the car magazine's opinion of vague handling.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Dennis:

I am also very interested in the reflective SSEi badge overlays. I talked with John in Kansas City at the Grand Prix Gathering and he also told me I was the only one who was asking.

In addition to the badge overlays, I think it would be cool to have insert letters for the small Bonneville on the rear bumper...

Scott
    Thats funny Scott . . .

I get one email a month from him - usually two weeks after I ask for a potential delivery date - telling me to be patient :)

Ill keep bugging him.

I didnt want to go with the rear inset letters - i like the all black look.
    Good to hear you are still out there. I was thinking of you the other day when I asked the local Pontiac service manager ( who runs a Pro Street Nova) if GM made a limited slip differential for front wheel drive cars. He said tdhat they didn't and that traction control had replaced limited slip for normal driving purposes.
    I also was wondering if your transmission was still holding up to the extra horsepower and the strip runs? Just think if you had a Chrysler transmission, you could rebuild it after every run just like Top Fuil people do to their engines.
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    Ok all, here's a puzzle for you. My 2001 SSEi with 8500 miles has started to randomly beep at me. It comes from the rear of the car, not the dash area. I've had passengers try to pin down where it comes from, but it is too infrequent to find. It is a very faint beep, but definitely an electronic sound rather than a squeek from something rubbing together. At first I though that maybe someone had left a cell phone or something in the car and the battery was getting low, but it's been about three weeks now & still happening. I haven't had it in to the dealer yet, but I will have to do it soon or it will drive me crazy. Any guesses?
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    The door and warning chimes come through the stereo system on the Bose. The rear door speakers and pillar tweeters pick up these chimes. I know this as I added an 800 watt system to the Bose and theses chimes come out at 800 watts.... very unpleasant. Could be the system picking a stray, muted signal. Or, I had a high pitched tone like squeak coming from the read deck metal that was heat sensitive, took them a while to find that one. My SSEi is in the shop tonite. they gave me a new Intrepid for a loaner... not a bad car, not an SSEi. Sounds like the engine is mounted in the passenger compartment. Beat a Mustang GT stick over the week end. The driver followed me to the gas station to ask me about the big black sedan that blew hin away. I did tell him about the tweaks, probably should have let him thought it was stock.
    You're not hearing the air pump for the load leveller are you? I know that mine puzzled me for a few months after purchase until a friend showed me.

To test for this: sit inside with the key in the ignition. Have somebody sit on the trunk lid for about a minute or so. When they get off, the pump should kick in.

Let us know.
    Could it be coming from the On*Star module, behind the right side of the rear seat, perhaps?

HTH
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    I'll try the air pump test tomorrow and see if that's it. If the OnStar module is at the right rear, then that seems like the spot for the sound, and it's quiet enough that it could be behind the seat. Does the OnStar module back there have a beeper output? My wife thinks it is a mechanical squeek, but others don't. Very strange. I'll let you all know when (if) I find it.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    My tranny situation is long and complicated. In summary, my stock transmission has handled all the extra power with NO problems at all, including 60,000 street miles and 200 quarter mile passes.

Truth be told, I have destroyed two transmissions in the Bonneville though... The first one started slipping when the right coolant tank in the radiator cracked and I got tranny fluid and engine coolant mixed. Then I installed a fully custom race ready transmission prototype - which I managed to explode in only three weeks.

After these two fiascos I returned to the original tranmission (and a custom made radiator 120% larger than stock), and have had no more problems.

Actually, my transmission isn't totally stock. I have the Thrasher-modified TransGo shift kit installed at the highest setting, along with an extra G.M. 2-3 accumulator spring in the 1-2 accumulator. And I have a Motorsports Performance competition tranmission pan with drain plug and a GTP transmission dipstick (for header clearance).

Speaking of transmissions, I am currently working on two related projects. First, I am trying to figure out how to adapt 3.69:1 final drive gears, which should be perfect for performance with our 4th gear overdrive. And second, I am almost ready to release a true limited slip differential for our cars.

Take care everyone!

Scott
  • refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    Who says you need a gun or a bow to hunt deer. Driving back from Colorado I was in the beautiful state of Kansas and one ran out in front of me begging to be run over. So I obliged. No but seriously I'm lucky I wasn't hurt. The deer wasn't so lucky. I think it was a doe. I couldn't find it not that I tried real hard. I hit it going 75 mph and the damage it did to my car its a sure bet its a goner. I was lucky it didn't hit anything vital. Like the radiator or fan. The front left corner is caved in. I'll need a new hood, front bumper, front quarter, and a new drivers door. I drove home a thousand miles with it like that. I'd say the cars well built. BTW it handled beautifully through the Rockies. Matt
    My condolences. Been there and done that about 10 years ago. I hit one head on in the dark and even had the air bag go off. The repair bill 10 years ago was nearly $5,000. When I filed the police report, they asked me if the deer had been killed and I said that I certainly hoped so. If Doug McKeown is still lurking, I'm sure he can swap stories with you.
    my condolences for your Bonnie and relief that you weren't hurt.

I had a near-miss with a deer a week ago today - was only doing 55 mph (enough to do serious damage but a lot shorter stopping distance than 75) and the doe was just heading into the ditch on what appeared to be her way to cross the highway. I tooted my horn, she froze in the ditch and I drove on. Funny though, I noticed a minute or so later that there was nobody following me on the road any more. When I passed that spot the following morning, I could see no evidence of a collision though.

mfahey: we haven't heard from "the deerhunter" in a long time - I don't think he's posted since May or June. Have you any idea what he replaced his Bonnie with?
    I've really enjoyed my time here at TH but have decided to move on to other things and really must sign off for the last time.

You've been a great bunch to interact with and I've learned a lot from you. I wish you and your rides well for the future.

Thanks for having me here.

G'bye
    Say it isn't so!!!

I can't imagine the forum here without Dan's knowledgeable and frequent postings. Just won't be the same.

We'll miss you Dan. Take care and keep those Pontiacs shining!

Best wishes.

Ken
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Dan - How can an avid poster like you just up and leave like that? Is everything all right?
    Anyone who wants to find out the skinny on what happened here just trace Iceman's link back to the NEws and Views "Talk to the Hosts" forum.

It seems there was a 'private' club in TH that started as a normal public forum. Ice was part of it. They were apparantly notified recently of the discontinuation of the "MTC - Mountain Top Club" and have moved alsewhere.

Unfortunately the 20 - 30 members of this "failed experiment" were among the most knowledgable and prolific participants in TH. Most but not all have opted out becasue of the abrupt and less than tactful manner in which they were shut down.

I had no idea this club existed - probably most others here didn't as well. I'll certainly miss Dan and his insights. Sounds like the guys in that club were an extraordinary group. Too bad to lose that kind of talent in TH. Sounds like that club was quite an exciting location for an interesting group of people.

Best wishes to all

Ken
    I came back this morning because of some unfinished business. I think you were looking for the GM site with the TSBs.

Well, here 'tis: GM Techlink.

Geez, what are you guys going to do without me?

>:P

Not really sure. Hopefully the Bonneville Forum will continue to attract new members - and more to the point - hopefully the car will as well.

Please do come back once in a while and check in.

Hey - my wife recently reminded me of my little "detour" last June when I stopped by in Niagara Falls for lunch 'enroute' home from Philly to Maine. Maybe a little detour to your area sometime??? Wouldn't take much convincing here!!!!

Best wishes to you Dan. I'll be e-mailing you.

Ken
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    I am sure I speak for all that the Iceman will be missed.

Ken, Iceman referred to an air pump leveler and I had some people in the rear seats hearing a fan type noise from the right rear. Does the Bonnie SE have a self adjusting suspension to equal out the weight of the car. I hear some times when stopped at a light and not sure what I was hearing.

I was able to enjoy the warm weather last Saturday and washed and waxed the Bonnie. The Red Maple color came out great. (Used Mothers, decided not to order by mail since I did not know how many warm days will be left).

Just crossed over the 2100 mile marker and before the year is out, I will take it in to change the oil.

When I was driving on freshly wet roads, the car seemed to pull to the right and I am guessing this was due to the traction control . If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate any input.

Take care and drive on....sxb
    As sharp as usual. You'll be sadly missed. But if you're in the neighborhood, stop by for a cup of coffee... ;^)

Take care.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    Sorry to see you go. You were one of the few who realized cars like the bonnie, intrigue, regal gs, and gp gtp where more than a match for bmw and lexus in real world driving. I am very proud that every GM sports sedan/coupe owner I have met is able to back up his opinions with real world experience and observations, as oppose to the import guys who mindless quote meaningless data. Magazine racing is for chumps. Keep the America rolling guys :)
    Yes Stephen, the SE does have this. I have not personally noticed it much in mine since I usually carry only 2 kids in the back and have had only very light loads in the trunk. Our Suburban is the vehicle used whenever more passengers and/or cargo carrying is required. I do believe this is what you are hearing and I'll have to go sit on my trunk lip soon and see if I can hear it for myself.

I bet that Maple Red is shining nicely! We do definitely need to get together for a red and green Bonneville Christmas pic next time I'm in PA!!

Best wishes

Ken
This discussion has been closed.