Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• benjohnsonbenjohnson Member Posts: 21
    Hello to the community.
    My wife and I are the proud owners of 2 2000 SSEi's. Mine is a little bit more "livelier" than most however!

We intended to purchase 2 new 2002 SSEi's last August and were completely turned off by the lack of enhancements in the new car, removal of my color, Arctic White in favor of Ivory??? and ultimately those ridiculous exposed cup-holders, coupled with the fact that it's the same 1992 to 1999 mentality..same car minor changes.

My feeling is if you want a nice car get a Buick Le Sabre, if you want a nicer car coupled with excitement get an SSEi.

I have been on a one man campaign hoping to get Pontiac to enhance the car especially in the HP area.

I am soliciting opinions from current SSEi owners especially those thinking of buying a new SSEi, that may have similar feelings to e-mail me at
    mailto:darkstealth@netscape.net

Thanks.

Ben

I can see there are a lot of happy owners out there and I glad to see that, but, would you be incented to buy a new SSEi?

I would encourage sincere mailings, and perhaps if the incentive is there, we can get Pontiac to see the light and hope for better things in 2003...BTW the rumor is 2004 may be it for the Bonny.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    http://www.autoweek.com , http://www.autonews.com , http://media.gm.com

Check out the Chicago Auto Show info, pictures and press releases for the Bonneville G/XP , at the GM site check the list of releases or the Chicago Auto Show listing to get to pictures
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    GM is still talking about Bonnevilles!

The looks of the new Grand Prix are very encouraging. If it does succeed Bonneville as Pontiac's full sized sedan in a few years at least there will be something to seriously consider there.

Ken
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Yup! If the interior quality matches at least the Bonneville's, mine might have a worthy successor (or maybe when my kids inherit my Stratus ;^)).
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Hi everyone

Montanafan- thanks for the info and sites!!
    That Red GP looks absolutely gorgeous! 280 HP
    at 155- thats some power plant for a V6.

Ken- moving up to a SSEI yet or waiting for the new Bonneville next year?

Looking at those pics, i might have a tough decision myself next year- trade in the 2000 but for what- the Bonny or the GP- which way to go?
    of course the wife is going to be the one using the car -SOOOOOOO ??????????- who knows- she loves the 2000SE but we also had a TANK- 1982 Grand Prix- which she also has many fond memories of-I'm glad its a good year off yet for any choice.

Chuck

*the 98SSE so far is running great-might have to replace the serpentine belt -looks like its seen better days.- other than that- i've put on over 1500 miles on her already -averaging around 22 MPG- performing great.*
    That was extremely encouraging, Arthur. I know that the Bonneville team had attempted to launch the 270hp SSEi for 2003 but they were shot down by the Powertrain division..The bump up to 270hp is nice, but, my 295hp+ is more like it (I love playing with those 740i's). Are they going to raise the roof on the SSEi top 155mph? Are the rev limits going up?

I have to admit though, the picture of the Grand Prix was very nice. It really looks like a Bonneville.
    (I wonder whatever happened to the Grand Prix G8 350 hp 0-60 in 5 seconds, and all wheel drive. Wouldn't that make a nice SSEi powerplant?)

Super Chips is working on a tuner that will remove the speed limiters and change the rev limits on the 3800 (at least that's what they say). It's allegedly going to be available before spring. I've been waiting 5 years for them to do something with the 3800.

Do any of you have an opinion on the bucket seats in the current SSEi vs. the 98 series?
    I really liked the way the 98 hugged your sides and lumbar if you desired. Definitely felt better in those hi "G" turns..I find the current seats allow you to move around to much.

Looking forward to more discussion on this...thanks for the pointer to the web pages.
  • pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    So, what have you done to your SSEi. I want to do the same. It's sounds like a lot of fun!
  • refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    I have a 2000 SSEi. The PCM has been reprogrammed. Removed the speed limiter and raised the rev limiter. Check out http://www.asechips.com they did the chip. The only thing is you have to send them your PCM.

Matt
    I guess I've been looking at the wrong things for 5 years. Where did you find ASECHIPS. I WILL talk to them.

I had a discussion with a friend this morning who broke my heart by telling me that the Chrysler 300 is dropping in a HEMI for 2003! We won't beat that in a race, that I know. I guess I'm going to fall back to my original pursuit of more HP.

Thanks for the info, Matthew.
    no plans here to trade anything soon. I am still enjoying the 2000 SE immensely and expect to hold on to it for at least 3 more years.

Best wishes in your evaluation of what to buy next for your wife. I'm sure you'll end up with a great car whichever way you go.

BTW - I'm heading to Pa on Sun Feb 24th. Interested in grabbing a burger together somewhere that afternoon?? I'd love to check out the 2nd Bonnie.

Ken
    Someone else off this board this board found ASE. Its been a couple thousand posts ago. His user name is Intense. I thought I had some mods. But he has got me beat by a long shot.
    Matt
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
    Ken, I have a prior commitment - maybe we can work something out in the near future though!- Which way and when will you be returning from PA?
    I'm glad to here your planning on keeping the car
    The 2000 is still a beautiful car- who knows for sure- we might just stay status quo!! next month we'll have the car 2 years and its also been a very pleasant two years of ownership!

Just as a point of interest- my local mechanics
    both have Bonnevilles also as their family cars- one has a 97 SSE, and the owner of the shop has a 2001 SSEI- so i guess we're doing something right by owning Bonneville's.

Chuck
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I completely agree that Pontiac is well overdue for an upgrade on the Bonneville. The Series II has been around since I believe 1996(?) and not much else in the automotive world stands still for such a long time. You know that the 3.8L is capable of so much more; just look at what they did with the Buick GN or the Typhoon.
    Not being an expert on GM's transmissions but if the concern is the durability of the present transmission, how do they get a transverse transmission to stand up to Cadillac's Northstar? Given as Ben Johnson has said that there was virtually nothing done to the 2002s for changes and that the Bonneville is struggling for sales, I really believe that GM missed a golden chance to make a significant upgrade and to further differentiate this car.
    It would also seem that they could have at least put in the performance axle ratio which would have been the equivalent of an additional 12 hp. Change the ovedrive ratio and you wouldn't give up anything in the way of highway fuel economy. I know GM is trying hard to break away from their stodgy image but I think they missed a golden oportunity here.

Mark
    Probably heading back to Maine the following weekend. I may take the opportunity after working in Pa for 3 days to just point south, set the cruise control and see where I end up for Thurs-Fri before heading home. I'll take a guess that Sunday morning March 3rd is when I'll be driving north through NJ heading home. How's that for a firm plan??

Ken
    Jeannine - I've posted my amusing story over in the forum for "Talk to the Press".

If anyone else cares to read it - check it out.

Ken
    is ok by me- let me know if its a definite-
    we can work out a good time for you etc. -maybe same as original meeting place- Rockaway Mall-
    lower level- JC Penney Etc- whatever is best for you.- open invite to whomever else may be free that afternoon.

Chuck
    refiner,
    Do you run the chip only or have you replaced your pulley? If so, what size?
    The chip sounds good, but I'm wondering how you got so much extra HP.
    Rick
    I'm not sure how much horsepower I have. I think benjohnson said he has 295. I think I'm close to that. I'm using the 3.5 pulley. Along with a CAI a bigger MAF and throttle body,headers,high flow mufflers,adjustable fuel pressure reg, MSD superconductor plug wires.
    I seen where Comp. cams has come out with a cam for the 3800.They say it will add 25hp and 28 ft lbs of torque.
    Matt
    A couple of days ago, I was cruising the Comp site for a cam for my Camaro and while I was there, out of curiousity I specifically looked for a cam for the 3.8L and didn't see anything even though it must have been right in front of my nose.
    There must be a lot easier ways to get horsepower than replacing a pushrod cam on a front driver. I would assume you'd have to either pull the engine or the passenger's side fender to pull it out the front of the engine.
    I seen it on http://www.grandprixstore.com

They just drop the engine about 5 inches on the passenger side. They show a photo. Just click on under the hood on the left.

Matt
    Ok, I'm starting with a 2000 SSEi, 54k with a K&N filter and Mobile 1.
    I used to pride myself with being able to get any pre 70's GM to run with a matchbook cover to gap the points and an ear to do the tuning. Things are much different these days. I finally have enough money and age (I've got to get a car I want before I expire) to have some fun.
    I want to do some mods, but I do know that anything one does affects everything else (I however, know little else about these engines). My original question rephrased: If I get the ACE chip and add the 3.5 pulley am I wasting my time (does the chip work well with the pulley?) without giving the air a place to escape? Is the factory exhaust adequate to flow the increased air? Should I also do the exhaust, if so, what produces the best performance and sound?
    The reason I’m considering the chip is to get rid of the speed limiter, stronger shift points, and a reprogrammed PCM for added performance; but does the chip work with the other mods?
    Any input will be appreciated.
    I don't really care about buying the new model, I love this car, I just want a little more of it!
    Thanks,
    Rick
    I haven't figured out how to directly reply each post, so, this is for those who asked about my mods.

The most knowledgeable and reliable outfit I've found is Ram Air Tech http://www.ramairtech.com 714-901-9101.

The two guys there, Jason and Richard have been helping me since I bought my 98 SSEi.

Prepare to spend a couple G's, but, the Magnuson Nose and pulley, ported throttle body and new MAF sensor, fuel pressure riser and a K&N filter will sufficiently take out most German Cars (and a lot of modified GTPs).

I will be sending my ECM to ASE next weekend...I'll need a guardian angel after that! Guess this is a problem in being a 60s teen.

I guess if you've got some bux to burn, you could go with the thrasher intercooler, but, after all this is a LUXURY car, I don't want to Frankenstein it too much.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Ben

The chip from ASE works fine with all the mods I've made. I think they can do a custom chip if you have alot of mods. With the 3.5 pulley the stock exhaust can handle it. Also consider a CAI. I have the one from Thrasher it definitely helps. You also can hear the supercharger alot better. It needs to be modified a lttle though.
    If I was to go with an CAI system, I would stick with RAT. The Thrasher system "looks" good, but, I've had nothing but good experiences with RAT.

As you said, it requires modification for the Bonny, but, despite it's enhancement ability, I'm probably won't do it for a while if at all.

How much modification did you have to do?
    I just happened in a magazine store and picked up a copy of Pontiac Performance Magazine (didn't know it existed).. They had an article refering to the pre 2000 performance shift option for the GTPs. It's stated that a lot is lost on the 2000+ cars after adding a modified ECM.

If you're interested pickup the magazine.

I pulled out my 98 Service Manual to find the line that activated this option as I will have to reinstate this option after I get the enhancement to my ECM. It involves adding a 348 ohm resistor between the ECM input(pin 55) and ground. There was a nice feel to this option in the 98 as well as having the ability to switch to the performance suspension option.
    I'll supply the info to anyone who may be interested as it applies to the SSEi.
    REFINER...you actually put headers on the bonny? along with high flow mufflers? Whos makes the mufflers? how does it sound? Are you using bigger pipes and what exhaust tips are you using?

Ben
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    Ken,

Just checked the post and saw that you are coming to PA on 2-24-02. Any chance on having a Bonnie SE meet while you are in PA?

Might be able to get my friend's 96 Bonnie SE to show up too.

Hope everyone one is doing well and nice to see some possible future for the Bonnie...sxb
    A company called the Other Guys make the headers. You can see them on the Grand Prix store web site. Just click on exhaust. As far as mufflers I have Vortex. Their made by the same company that makes the cherry bomb. I haven't replaced any other piping. Its not real loud but it does have a rumble to it. I'm using the stock tips.
    Matt
    I always worry that performance mufflers on any 6 cylinder just won't sound right, but, it's good to know. Actually I've been told that Pontiac did a pretty decent job for exhaust flow on the 2000 system.

As far as the performance shift option, ASE reprograms the shift pattern to be tighter, so it is what it is.

I've got a note into Corsa to see what they offer in exhausts as it appears that they are making the system for the 2K3 SSEi.

Good discussion..thanks.
    Too bad you weren't on this board about this time last year. One of the people did some incredibly radical things to his 2000, one of which was the exhaust. He took the route of headers and a complete cat back system, sans the resonator. If memory serves, he spent something like $2000 on the system and was left with what I believe he described as a giant moped. Apparently, the resonator is pretty important to maintaining a decent sound.
    I was reading a post on a different site re- 2000
    bonneville reviews- someone stated that the battery under the rear seat is a pending disaster.
    I went on the NHTSA site- only 3 complaints listed about it- I never took out the rear seat to actually see where the battery is and if there is a protective cover over it- has anyone had any problems with battery acid leakage or (God forbid) know of anyone getting burned from battery acid caused by an accident? I would think if this were a problem, it would have surfaced long ago, given the number of vehicles made since 2000.

Chuck
    If I'm not mistaken, Corvette has had this feature for quite some time. Surely, if it has given GM any significant problems, they would not have repeated the same mistake in this car.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Many cars over the years have had a battery inside the cabin. Perhaps the most notorious of them was the old VW Beetle...
    Anyone get their copy of the spring issue of Pontiac magazine? Good article on the semi-stock Bonneville that hit 200mph at Bonneville. The article said that the engine was re-engineered to put out 600hp and in a picture that went with the article, you can see an intercooler sitting on top of the engine.
    Mark. Nothing beats performance, but, as I said, this is a luxury car and you just don't trick it up at the expense of aesthetics.
    I went past someone who had put aftermarket duals on a 95 SE and it sounded like a hopped up Honda with one of those 3 inch extensions on it.
    I purchased a new ECM today, had it programmed and sent it to ASE..I'm sure I'll have enough new excitement for a while..and I can't afford to burn up those Michelin Pilots..I'm on my second set!

Ben
    I guess I'll order a 3.5 pulley kit and get a spare ECM programmed and send it off to ASE.
    That should be enough. I'm hesitant to do the exhaust because I haven't heard an aftermarket system that is appealing.
    Chuck and Stephen - we'll stay in touch over the next couple weeks and see what works out. Sounds promising.

Mark - I saw that 200mph Bonnie at the car show in Boston last year.

I've been away for a few days - had to take a quick ride out to Indianna and back with my in-laws. 2000 miles in 3 days. Good thing I like to drive! Unfortunately it wasn't the Bonnie I was driving - but a 91 GMC conversion van.

Best to all

Ken
  • 1990bonnievile1990bonnievile Member Posts: 14
    maybe the new Bvill will have 280hp in 2004...check out all the concept cars. Im sure the GTP will to.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Good timing dropping in from the sky just as 1990 referred to the concept car. I just learned about the Bonneville G/XP unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show. 270 hp and a real looker. Apparently this is not just a concept car and is reported to be strongly considered as a special edition Bonnie for 2003 with the look being adopted by all Bonnevilles for 2004. According to Bob Lutz:

"It was slightly overornamented, and (the Bonneville G/XP) is the 'less-is-more' syndrome. The more we smoothed it out, took the ridges out, reduced the complexity of the light graphics, the car just got more and more beautiful."

How do these goodies grab you? ... Corsa cat-back exhaust, 19 in. wheels, beefier, cross-drilled and slotted rotors with Baer coated calipers, additional s/c boost, K&N filter system, xenon fogs, maximum legal tint glass (same for headlight covers and tail lights).

Guys, I think this is really good news. I already called my dealer and told him to get one for me if they make them.

I posted some data and pics about it here: MTC Brand Information Center

If I find out anything more concrete, I'll pop in again. Until then...

The two tone color interior does look funky. Is it just me or does it look like an SE with out the cladding? I also read its been lowered a inch and a half. Hopefully it will be at the Cleveland auto show next month. To any one who is interested theres a limited-slip differential out there now for the SSEi its at http://www.motorsports.westserver.net Its also where I got my MSD Superconductor plug wires.
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    I just returned from the Chicago Auto Show and signed on to say WOW!!! about the graphite grey Bonneville I saw at the auto show.... but the Iceman beat me out (thanks for the reference to the pix).

However, I gotta' say a few words anyway. I didn't know about the car and did a real double take when I saw it. I couldn't believe how much the smoothing of the facia improved the looks of the car (and I love the looks of my 2000 SSEi already). Notably, the lower side cladding is smooth, the "coke bottle: flare at the back door is smoothed, the back bumper bump around the license plate is gone, there are two exhaust tips on each side, the imprinted Pontiac and Bonneville are gone, replaced by small metal letters (saying Pontiac Bonneville) at the lower left corner of the trunk lid.

I could do without the carbon-fiber accents on the steering wheel and around the air vents inside... but... I'd get used to 'em.

I'm with the iceman.... if it goes into production, I'm getting one :)

Bill, Madison, WI
    Gee, all you guys are starting to recognize the beauty of the 'unadorned' look of the Bonneville - as shown in the G/XP which has been why I have prefered the looks of the SE to the SLE and SSEi all along. It sure does look great and I would also love to see it make production status. Don't think I'm in the position to buy one new but maybe a 1 or 2 year old deal like I got on my present ride would be possible. Hope it isn't just a teaser.

Ken
    I hope pontiac moves towards less extra plasticc on the outside of there cars, to a sleeker more refined look like the concepts display...The current GP and Bvill are nice, but the grand am is hidious, and look at that aztec thing...ahhhhhh
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Nice to see some old contributors back; at least for a once in a great while post.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    GM to cut 1,750 jobs at Orion Township; cites Aurora sales off by 80.7%, Bonneville sales off by 26% (48,598 for 2001), LeSabre off by 24% (36,454 for 2001). http://www.auto.com/industry/gm15_20020215.htm

Bad news is that Orion is down to one shift -- which is one step away from shuttering the plant altogether -- and this is the only plant building Bonnevilles.
    they need to refreshen the bvill anyway.
    Maybe there's hope for GM yet. The automotive section of the Chicago Tribune said this morning that Bob Lutz has trashed the 03 redesign of the LeSabre and Regal.
    To quote "Those were, I think, by far the most disappointing vehicles I have encountered in GM's product pipeline. There was nothing favorable you could say about them except they were on time."
    So perhaps the "tuner" Bonneville at the Auto Show has a shot at production.
  • jptuckjptuck Member Posts: 4
    Hi - new to the forum - bought a 2001 SSEI in October. Wondering what the best for the dollar upgrades are to this car? Does anyone make aftermarket sway bars that are any stiffer than stock? Really like the ride, highway performance but looking to 'spice' it up a little - doesn't quite handle like my 2000 Maxima SE (yet, I hope). Thanks in advance for any info---
    Welcome to Bonneville land!!

You're going to love the car for sure. What color and options do you have?

Best wishes for many years and miles of enjoyable driving.

Ken ('00 SE)
    Several of us have upgraded our SSEis with sway bars from Saner Performance Fabricators. The rear one was easy, maybe an hour and a half. The front one was very, very difficult and involved disconnecting the tie rods, dropping the engine and disconnecting the exhause pipe. I came close to having mine towed off and have someone else finish up. In hindsight, I would do the rear bar and only get the poly bushings for the front. You'll probably get 90% of the benefit with 25% of the work. This might change the balance between understeer and oversteer so be forewarned.
    You can contact Saner @sanerperffab@cs.com. They were nice people to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.