Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Wayne I do find that my foot occassionally wants to slip off the bottom of the pedal on occassion. It's just an unconscious habit I guess - my foot moving lower on the pedal over time. Hasn't been a problem and never actually slipped off. No noticeable issue with the brake pedal here. It did take a while to get used to the foot rest for the left foot though. Seems natural enough now but that took months to get used to.

Ken (00 SE)
    Good to see you here again.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    I'm 6'0 and do not find the pedals uncomfortable. I also did notice the gas pedal was over to the right more than I was used to in my previous Bonnevilles, but have gotten used to it.

I second the motion. Welcome back Dan!
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I thought I'd stick around a while and help you keep this thread alive.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I'm glad someone else said it. I am 5'11" and I find my foot barely hits the gas (on a 2002 Aurora) too. My previous car was a manual tranny so the brake and gas were closer together. I could easily move the top of my foot from the brake to the gas without picking my heel up. Now if I pivot my foot on the heel I find my foot hits the bottom left corner of the gas. If I stomp on it, my foot starts to slide and a couple of times I floored the gas only to have my foot slip right off the pedal. I am trying to get used to picking my foot up when I go between gas and brake pedals.

It feels like the pedal travel is different as well as the position. On my Corvette the pedal would travel more linearly. As you pushed it, it would go down more and stay under your foot. In the Aurora it seems to travel on an arc and as you push it, the pedal moves more towards the front of the car so that your foot slides down it.
  • waynei13waynei13 Member Posts: 2
    Folks,
    Thanks for your different stories on the gas and brake pedal. I figured I would just have to get used to it, but wanted to see if anyone had come up with any ways around it(ie: new gas pedal?). I'm going to give it some time and hopefully get more comfortable with it. I love the way the car looks and drives. The one thing I forgot to mention before that may also be a factor is having a bench seat. I may just be too used to having my leg locked into a particular position.
    Anyway, thanks again for your input. I'll start using this site more!
  • sixxersixxer Member Posts: 36
    G'day all!

Still haven't gotten the foglight done. Had no time, maybe next week! :) Thanks for the help though all!

I just thought I would give an update on the Michelin Arctic Alpins again! It's been a while. But hey, we just got a couple of decent snowfalls here in the past couple of weeks. So I have finally had a chance to test them in deep snow. All I have to say is excellent! I had a good 4 to 6 inches of snow, and the car would keep crawling along with very little wheelspin. Tried it in both light fluffy snow, and wet snow that deep. Impressive! My girlfriend's Caravan with all seasons on the other hand, couldn't get anywhere! So now if it snows, we've realized that I have to get the Bonnie out and pack her a trail so she can get out. Well, or shovel it by hand.. But that's work! (hey, it's a 100' driveway!) lol ('00 Bonneville SE)

As for the gas/brake pedal issues.. I'm about 6'5"ish and I have no problems.

Take care all,
    Stan
    Hasn't this been an interesting couple of weeks up here? For the benefit of the rest of you, our spring had been progressing agonizingly slowly and has turned unseasonably cold. So, after a mild winter with very little snow, we've had 4 snowfalls in the last 9 days - for a total of 60 cms. (that's 2 feet) of the white stuff! All of this after my family returned from our vacation to Cuba.

I actually had a slip rounding a corner yesterday but the road was super slick. Although the treads on the original RSA's look good, I think it's a reminder that I have to replace them before next winter (what a depressing thought!). The Alpins have always interested me so I'll give them a look - thanks for sharing your thoughts Stan.
    Please share some of your impressions there. As you know, we here in the states don't get to visit that particular destination so it would be most interesting to hear what you found there.

BTW - we also have had precipitation these past 2 weeks but only a dusting of snow on 2 occasions. It's raining today again - and we sorely need it.

Ken
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    If the pedal problem becomes an issue, check the yellow pages for someone local who handles adaptive equipment for driver's with disabilities. They maybe able to rework the pedals for you. Knew a woman who had it done to her 1995 Firebird. Think she even had those pedals transfered to her next firebird.
    I'm on the verge of changing my ISP (hoping to go broadband) and, once I do, I'll post some pics.

Our visit was to a resort in a very touristy part of Cuba so you don't get a representative portrayal of the country. Still, the people were friendly, educated and honest. The food was good (but no better), the rum and cigars amazing, the beaches wide and clean, the climate hot, and you had a strong feeling of security. That last bit probably has something to do with the fact that you see more police than I'm accustomed to. Nevertheless, they apparently don't hassle the locals and the people in turn are pretty averse to sleeping in one of Castro's jails.

In Cuba, you do see a lot of pre 1962 American cars but there are also a lot of pre 1990 Ladas - and even a fair representation of Peugeot, Renault, BMW and Mercedes Benz! No Bonnevilles though (ha!)

We'd like to go back and get to know the country a little better but I'd like to polish my Spanish a bit first. Next year, we'd like to go to Havana - perhaps 1 week there and another in Veradero (where we were this year).

Ken: Americans do visit Cuba but that's normally on cultural exchanges and things of that ilk. I've also heard of the odd person going to Cuba via Canada (the Cubans don't stamp your passport if you ask them not to) but I'd say that's risky - especially post 9-11.
    Yes I'd heard that there a few Americans taking flights or cruises to Cuba via Central American countires but not very many. Certainly will be a lot different once Castro is gone I imagine.

Did you eat in any of the local homes that open their doors as restaurants for dinner? I've heard they can be quite amazing for very low prices.

What's the relative value for Canadian currency there? Has to be an amazing bargain for you compared to vacationing in the US.
    Who knows about the post Castro period?

As far as your other questions, we rarely stepped foot off our resort (it was soooo nice) so no, we didn't sample the local fare but I had heard both good and mixed reviews of the casa particulares and the paladares. The latter is what I think you are referring to and can apparently be quite nice.

Bargain? Since foreigners use US dollars in Cuba, that part of it was no bargain. Odd, isn't it? That Cuba officially recognizes - even sanctions - the existence of American dollars as a second currency.

Anyway, I brought me back some nice Cuban cigars and rum. What a way to remember...
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I'm convinced more than ever that in any group of cars, regardless of make and model, you are going to find really good ones as well as lemons. As a counterpoint to Steven's Volvo experience, my son and his wife's old 760 has upwards of 260,000 miles and it (somehow) keeps on ticking. We have an old Caravan that now has 180,000 miles on it but over the years has been a real POS and yet friends of ours had one with 230,000 miles on it and never had to even rebuild the transmission which is unheard of in a Chrysler.
    We had wonderful luck with our 96 Bonneville and my daughter's 92 Bonneville had about 130,000 miles on it when we sold it and was running perfectly. On the other hand,our 2000 SSEi has been something of a disappointment in the reliability area even though we otherwise like the car.
    The point is it is all a matter of odds and statistics. Heck, there are probably Rolls owners out there who have had bad luck. Odds are if you have a Camry or Accord, you'll have a very reliable car but there are undoubtedly those that rival Caravans for poor reliability. You simply can't draw any inference from a sample size of one car and try to extend that to say that all (insert your choice of cars) are bad and don't ever buy one.
    There, I've said my piece and I'll get off my soapbox.
    Bob Lutz, in announcing the sale of the new GTO in 2004 referred to it playing the role of a flagship for Pontiac. Now, the GTO is going to be a limited edition (20000 units) vs. the Bonneville's current sales of something like 30-40000/yr. and there's some sense that the overlap would be mostly felt at the SSEi level. Still, with a new (and larger) platform coming for the Grand Prix and a new Pontiac flagship hitting these shores in '04, I frankly don't see the room in the lineup for the Bonnie.

Mark - I'm sorry that your Bonnie has been a less than ideal experience. Not having been in this forum for a while, I guess I've missed out on the bad stuff (the therapist in my hesitates to ask you to repeat it for the sole benefit of my curiosity). Regardless of how much one loves a car, the little (and big) disappointments have a way of removing the rose tint from one's glasses.

As far as reliability goes, you're bang on. I've had Toyotas which were well put together - our '92 Camry was a good example. Yes, it had all the charm of a plate of cold mashed potatoes but it was reliable. Not perfect though - things broke, I had an elusive stalling problem, an oil pump replaced and regular maintenance - particularly alignments - was pricey. I could live with its foibles because it never stranded me (apart from a dead battery) and was otherwise a decent (if bland) performer. I felt similarly about my '88 Mazda 626 - until dealer service all but stranded me for almost a whole week to replace a dead alternator. My '92 Mazda 929 was a far better experience - whistling weatherstripping and paint finish that lost its lustre were its only two major flaws.

But that Volvo... THAT was another story.
  • thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    I had seen a bulletin a few weeks ago confirming that the Bonneville name would be replaced in 2004 with a new flagship model. I will have to see if I can recover that article and let you know the details.
    Folks - I think we're driving the last generation Bonnevilles unless the name gets resurrected sometime in the future. Seems to me that the redesigned and enlarged Grand Prix sedan will take over (probably quite nicely) as the replacement for our cars as well as the existing GP. If it turns out to be RWD and devoid of body cladding with decent performance it will probably sell well. I'd sure consider one. There isn't all that much difference between today's Bonneville and GP anyway IMO.

The GTO will certainly offer performance beyond what's available today and may attract attention to the Pontiac brand.

Don't forget too that Pontiacs are typically sold side by side with Buicks so those who want the four door full sized sedan will have LeSabre to consider - who knows -maybe Lutz will ok a Wildcat version with the buckets and console and a supercharged 3.8L. I'd love to see that configuration.

Let's enjoy our Bonnies all the more, knowing we may have the last batch.
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Ken- hope burns eternal- go to reviews- in the future- list pontiac- new epsilon platform COULD be in the making for the 2005 BONNEVILLE!!! i know its a shot in the dark but, who knows- NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!

Seriously, if it happens, it happens- ain't gonna change Lutz's mind
    so- absolutely enjoy your present bonneville!!!

Chuck
    Dan, other than two ignition failures, the problems with our 00 Bonneville haven't been anythng serious, just lots of nuisance trips to the dealer, especially 2nd and 3rd tries to get it fixed. I keep allmy receipts, whether warranty or not, so one day I'll have to add them up to see how many there have been.
    Also, I'll admit that I am picky. When the car was new, I took it back fairly quickly and told them that either they put the dealer's logo on straight or they could take it off so off it came.
    I hear you. For what they sell the Bonneville for, their customers have paid for the privilege of being picky. I've had a few minor quibbles with the car here and there but they were all very minor and the dealer was very understanding. Also, my salesman is a 100% pro - you know, the kind of guy who'd drive out to pick you up himself if you were every stranded. Anyway, the dealer and their staff do make a big difference. Surgenor Pontiac Buick in Ottawa - highly recommended.
    I agree with Ken that a future GP might be a good substitute for the Bonneville but I'm not as convinced that there's not much difference right now between the two cars.

It comes down to platforms - the Bonneville's is just that much more rigid - the handling is that much tighter, heavier, etc. The GP drives in a more agile manner than the BV but the latter is more secure. There are also a lot of little things too: like the rigamarole you have to go through on the GP to personalize lighting, the remote, etc., the fact that its traction control isn't all speed (like on the BV), etc. Trust me, the list of differences is greater than you might think - although it took me about six months to really appreciate that.

All of these little things add up - the Bonneville is just designed for a higher MSRP and it shows. Now, if they design the future GP to be more versatile to handle the upmarket feel and features, I'll line up. If they don't, I'd be looking elsewhere - and unfortunately the LeSabre won't be on my short list. The new GTO might be interesting though and the '04 G/XP might just be a collector's item one day too.

I'd say that Lutz is moving Pontiac towards performance and I think his people have decided that "Bonneville" just doesn't say "performance" to enough people. Evidently GTO and Grand Prix do - it's kind of hard to argue the point.
    You've got 'em both so I'll yield to your summation. My suggestion that the two cars are similar was more intended to mean that the 2 sedans are similar in size and there isn't a world of apparant distinction between them.

I do prefer my Bonnie to any current GP that I've ridden in or seen. The future GP could well be a consideration for me although I am starting to acquire a lot more interest in European brands than any time in my life.

The Saab 9.5 that my carpool buddy just bought has impressed me immensely and I do like the looks of the Volvo S80 although as new cars both are out of range for me now. We'll see what the redesigned 2005 and 2006 GM models offer.

Ken
    Any links to the GTO?
    I'd consider the Wildcat Ken mentioned.
    I'm due in 5/03 for a new lease and am looking forward to my options!
    Stephen
    Stephen: there are no real links yet for the Pontiac GTO. Essentially, it's going to be a Holden Monaro with a new nose clip - to help identify the car as a Pontiac. Here's the link to Holden: Monaro Showroom (it's the CV8 that Lutz wants to import) or you can just do a search on the Holden Monaro - there are a few fan sites out there.

The nice thing about the Monaro/GTO is that it is a RWD sports sedan with the familiar 5.7 V8 and a a 6 speed manual (an auto is available). I think the interior room* is on a par with the Gran Prix but the feel and quality of the interior is decidedly European. IOW, a car that can pull off performance, elegance and family service.

Starting at approx. $35k though - definitely NOT Bonneville SE territory.

*alas with even less headroom than the GP. If the specs are correctly stated, there's decent rear legroom but the rear seat is otherwise cramped (head and hip room pale in comparison to the Bonneville's)

• ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    Just returned from sunny Florida. 1st long road trip for the ssei. Yes, at 6'4" the gas pedal was a constant pain. Tried altering my seat position, foot position, etc. Wound up falling in love with the crise control. I had to leave my right shoe on the whole time... can't handle the gas pedal with stocking feet. Got 22 mpg with the 1st St. Louis tank of gas. Got 27 mpg thereafter with southern gas. I know they reformulate gas for seasonal use, but I can't figure why the drastic improvement. Had to have my moonroof aligned before the trip, the back sagged down about 1/4 inch. I still gat wind noise... MUCH quieter with the shade closed...is this normal? On the bright side... there were 5 2000/plus Bonnies in the condo lot. 2 ssei's, a se, and the other I only saw from behind, it had duals so it could have been either/or... and mine of course. Kind of a deep gold bronze ssei from Indiana looked nice. It had no front tag and it was equipped with a neat bumper insert in lieu of the plate.
  • luvmybonneluvmybonne Member Posts: 13
    Hello to all of my bonneville partners.
    I installed the tornado fuel saver unit last Saturday. I filled the tank yesterday afternoon.
    Drove to Morris, Il. and back. (a 104 mile round trip), I topped off the tank and only used 4.0 gallons of gas. This was the first time driving that distance since my purchase. I also have installed a K & N air filter.
    MY previous gas mileage for highway was around 22 mpg. So far, so good.
    The least you could have done was stop in on your trip to Morris to say hello. You'll see from my profile that I live in Morris. You could have even seen my 1970 Camaro nearing the end of its restoration.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Did you get a nice bug collection on the SSEi down here in Florida? I recently took a weekend road trip Orlando-Tallahassee-Apalachicola and back but I didn't take the Bonnie, now wishing I had. I saw lots of Bonnevilles on the road, all kinds. Got a front-end cover for it, shoulda used it! (I took the truck because I installed an XM Radio receiver in it and wanted it for the road tunes.)

Yes, closing the sun shade makes the sunroof almost as quiet as a solid roof. This was much more the case on my mom's old '93 SSE than on my 2000, but there's still some wind noise with the roof closed.

I only get 21-22 mpg around town in the SSEi with 93 octane. That's up from 19-20 when the car was new. Should be going down this tank, though -- the right foot seems to have some newfound lead in it these days (might be result of recent loss of girlfriend -- on the plus side, baseball season has begun, so the TV [and cats] will keep me company when I'm not hot-rodding around town!).
  • thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    Here is the latest on the GTO.

GM Vice Chairman of product development Robert Lutz announced Wednesday that GM plans to bring the Holden Monaro Coupe to the U.S. market to help reinvigorate the automakers car lineup. Lutz made the announcement at the International Motor Press Association (IMPA) at the New York International Auto Show. He opened the New York Auto Show with a keynote speech at the Jacob Javits Center.

Lutz told the audience that after traveling the globe to visit Holden last month, GM started making plans to bring the Monaro to America to become "the 21st century interpretation of the legendary Pontiac GTO."

"I gotta tell ya, I love driving this car. It is the most sought-after, high profile car on Australian roads right now," said Lutz. "It shares that V8 heritage and a brawny, muscular stance with the classic GTO, and it will make a fine flagship for Pontiac."

Lutz said once GM finishes up the final work toward sign-off of the Monaro, the car will appear on the auto show circuit next year as a Pontiac GTO. "That's another example of the new, rebounding GM, taking advantage of its global resources and moving with agility and speed."
    started picking up bugs just south of Jackson, Ms. Had a great wash job that made it all the way to Sea Grove, then the rains moved in and the temps dropped. Sat inside and watched the snow, ice, and school closings in St. Louis (that made 67 degrees seem ok). I was afraid to drive in my normal style down there. Too many pick ups with glass packs, confederate flags and drunks behind the wheel for my liking. Didn't want to show them up with my Northern plates and U of Missouri stickers. Unruly spring breakers i guess. I wished I had the sat radio; trying to find the NCAA basket ball games was a chore. Time for a Cardinal win and some serious BB tonight... life is good.
  • luvmybonneluvmybonne Member Posts: 13
    I'll let you know the next time I am in your great town.
  • bigred00bigred00 Member Posts: 13
    NYS Thruway to the NYC International Auto Show at at a steady, cruise-controlled 72 mph: 30 mpg with 93 octane. Can hardly believe it.
    Some idiot reviewed an '02 SE in epinions. I just came across it and am inspired to get an epinions account and set the record straight. I see that a "Seymour007" has already done that - one of you guys perchance? Here's the review: Epinions: "Not As Big As You'd Think" by markrushton

This "review" contains nuggets like:

"...bloated design that has plagued the car..."

"...wasn't much bigger than the Corolla."

"...pointless tachometer on the gauge cluster..."

"I just wanted simple adjustments for the treble and bass. Considering the age of the typical buyer of this car I doubt they'd care what the EQ is."

I see that this Seymour guy has already nailed the writer for most of the above. Good for you Seymour - whoever you are.

Perhaps some of the difference in perspective is due to the models and equipment.

Handling on my SE improved when I installed the rear stabilizer bar. SLE would handle more like mine does now.

The interior driver's seat 'complaint' may be due to the SE cloth buckets vs SLE leather seating in Seymour's rental. I have altered my seat to eliminate the 'scoop' that causes discomfort to my back - particularly on long trips. The leather upholstered seats that I have tried in other Bonnevilles are more comfortable than the standard cloth buckets in my car.

Rear seat room does not seem to be a problem for my family but if more than two need to sit in back we use our Suburban. The Bonneville seat is quite canted though and I wonder how comfortable it would be for two adults on an extended ride.

Styling is certainly in the eye of the beholder - and I could behold my car for hours on end!

Ken
    It's amazing how poeple's opinions can be so different. I love my 2000 Bonneville SSEi, but if I was to find fault with various aspects of the vehicle, it would not be as described by the review. I do agree however that the rear leg/knee room could be better as I drive with the seat all the way back; limiting the leg room behind me. The faults I would state would include the ridiculous glove compartment, useless dual cupholders, and no trunk release on the door.
    I was intrigued by the Corsa exhaust that was listed for the GX/P so I went to their site. All I could find was marine applications and since I didn't plan to use mine for dual duty ala the old Amphicar, I thought I'd go to the Borla site.
    In the applications section for Pontiacs, the usual cast of cars was in there such as the Firebird and GP/GTP but no Bonneville. I could accept that except they had an application for, get this, a FIERO. What were they thinking and who would buy a system for a Fiero?
    Rod, are you still interested in selling your 3.5" pulley? We'll be visiting my brother on the 13th and 14th so maybe I could sneak away if you are available.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    That idiotic review in Epinions makes me angry and I don't even own a Bonneville. Wasn't much bigger than a Corolla? Who is that guy kidding... His little tuna can Corolla could probably fit inside the Bonneville. And imagine Pontiac's nerve to think that people would want to change more than just the treble and bass. I'm not sure you can even find aftermarket stereos with just treble/bass controls anymore. And the useless tach? I guess he would just prefer idiot lights to having useful feedback on the car. His critizism of the english/metric button is just stupid. I mean, does it hurt you to have it there? You don't *have* to push it... Plus, it isn't unheard of for Americans to drive to Canada... I guess if a cruise control switch isn't exactly like the one in a Corolla, it is a piece of crap. If anything, the fact that this dolt couldn't figure out how to work it properly tells me to take his review with a large grain of salt.

Corsa does a lot of specialty exhaust work for GM. They did the exhaust on the Corvette pace car in 1998, and the Cadillac STSi. I doubt the exhaust for the GX/P had to have any production possibility. I'm sure it was purely to look cool. They do make automotive exhausts in addition to marine products. You have to click on "auto site map" or on one of the car applications though. You might try calling them to see if they can sell an exhaust for your car. Just because it isn't listed doesn't mean they can't do it. The fact they did it for the GX/P means they might be able to. Also, they have one for the 2001+ Aurora, so it might work for the Bonneville. The Aurora uses the same exhaust as the Seville. As far as a Borla for the Fiero, they probably developed that in the 80's when the Fiero was cool. Once they have it designed (and probably have some still in stock), there is no reason not to sell it.
    Particularly the comment about the Metric to English conversion on the gauges - it sure makes it easy on anyone crossing the border to visit our friends to the north.
    Heck, I use this feature a lot - and I've never driven my car across the border. For one thing, I've been driving since the pre-Metric days and I still calculate my fuel consumption in mpg.
    Problem? The Bonneville displays mpg in miles per US gallon (naturally). Since the US gallon is about 5/6ths of an Imperial gallon, I still have to convert. Why do I bother? 1) So I can compare my current mileage with cars I used to drive; 2) multiplying mpg (US) by 1.2 to get mpg (Cdn) is fairly straightforward.

Speaking of mileage, the switchover from winter gas has made a difference. I last reset my mileage to date calculator in early September last year and have done 22.5 mpg since then. I expect that, by the end of the summer, it'll be back up to 25 mpg (as it was when I reset it last year). These are figures in US gallons BTW.

The other reason I use the E/M button is to get a finer reading on the temperature - particularly as it hovers around freezing. 31°F and 32°F will both show as 0°C but there's a difference between the two in terms of ice potential.

While we're on the subject, I've always preferred the metric (or SI) system but prefer the smaller temperature increments of Fahrenheit to the larger ones of Celsius - because a couple of degrees makes a big difference to both our environment and our comfort.
  • jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    Its also fun to run the speedo on metric when you have a car load running 70-80 mph down the highway. It usually takes a while, but someone will comment about you going so fast.

8500 miles so far, only problem was a leaky gasket on the drain plug. New plug handed over for the next time I change it. Warranty.

Wife's GP GT has 14K with only a tire rotation and oil changes.

Both, significantly more reliable than my previous two Chevy's.

Haven't snooped around for a while. Good to see a few posters are still here. iceman and tpken.
    sounds like we have similar stables. I have an '00 SLE and my wife has an '01 GP GT.
  • ottawaguyottawaguy Member Posts: 15
    I notice there's a couple of ya with a GP and a Bonneville, so I gotta ask...

Is the Bonneville worth the extra $?

I get the GM employee discount, and am on the verge of buying a GP GT, but have always liked the Bonneville. Big diff is that my wife has started asking "Wow, the new Bonneville looks nice..." and I have kinda preffered the car to be honest. I just don't trust that I'd get more out of an SE over the GP GT.

All I can figure is that the Bonneville is a bit bigger, and more of a luxury vehicle than the GP. How's the headroom compare? Are there a lot of "bells and whistles" on the Bonneville that the GP doesn't have? Any other observations?

Like I say, not sure if this belongs her, but there ain't too many GP posters here, and at least 2 of you have both cars...

Thanks!!
    read my post #2571. I can only really compare the Bonneville SLE with the GP GT as these are our two cars. The SE is closer to the GP GT in terms of standard equipment but opting for the SLE makes sense if you want your Bonneville to corner as well as the GP GT. Or you can do what tpken has done and added a sway bar unto his SE.

so here's the Bonneville/GP GT breakdown:

traction control: all-speed / activates at low speeds only.
    rear view mirrors: heated / not
    windows - one-touch down: driver and passenger / driver only
    a/c: dual zone climate control / dual zone manual
    fuel filler door: locks with remote control / n/a
    instrumentation: Driver's Information Centre / n/a
    trunk release: opens fully with remote / opens partially with remote
    trunk size: (slight) advantage Bonneville
    trunk pass-through: advantage GP (slightly larger)
    rear leg room: advantage Bonneville
    rear hip room: advantage Bonneville
    head room: (small) advantage Bonneville
    overall interior room: very similar
    quality of interior materials: advantage Bonneville
    suspension: advantage Bonneville (automatic rear level control). Note that the GT has fore and aft stabilizer bars - check out the SE. It used to have only one but it may now have both.
    wheels/tires: 17"/16"
    final drive ratio: 3.05/3.29

There are probably other differences too but they really come down to the difference in platforms - the Bonneville's is extremely tight and new (for the Bonneville) in 2000. The Grand Prix's platform dates back to '97 and really was designed for a lower sticker price.

In short, I like my wife's Grand Prix GT but I love my Bonneville SLE.

BTW, does your 'handle' imply that you live in Ottawa?
  • ottawaguyottawaguy Member Posts: 15
    Thanks, iceman

I figger I'll still go for the GP, the headroom is a slight issue as I'm tall from the waist up, but if there's not much diff, I may not spring for the BV. Gotta see fer myself, I guess.

Sure are a lot of GP's out there, though. I hate to admit it, but a rare car is a bit appealing...

I see from perusing sites the seat bolsters are quite different, though. How's the size difference between them after a while? Something you can't tell in a test drive.

Yep, in Ottawa - you?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Has a much more rigid chasis. Its the same chasis as a Deville and Aurora. Grand Prix is the same as a Century, Intrigue, Regal.
    I am running a 3.4 pulley. I am toying with the idea of a 3.25, but have not found one or been particularly motivated until I decide on an exhaust. I warped my factory 3.8 removing it, so I'd hate to promise my 3.4's condition, even though it has a nice coating of anti-sieze. If, however, you can come up with a pulley on your own, ( I like the the 3.4... no belt change and a happy medium between the 3.5 and 3.25) I have the puller and a place to do it should you decide to make the move. I know we have a little league tournament that week end, but that should be easy enough to work around... unless its out in Pacific! Let me know.
    GP is a fine car - it's just not as rigid a platform as the Bonnie nor is it as well appointed. Still, the GP GT is a tremendous deal compared with most of its competition - let alone the Bonneville.

It's hard to go wrong - these are two great choices.

BTW, me too - an Ottawa boy through and through.
    Rod, I just got done ordering one so I've got my fingers crossed that it will get here in time.
  • jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    I can only add a few comments to iceman's comparison. SLE vs. GT

I like full gauges vs. a temp gauge and idiot lights - Bonne.

Off the line performance - GP (gear ratio and weight).

Exhaust note - Bonne (GP sounds a little cheap, especially when cold).

I've had opportunities to load up both for an identical 800 mi round trip. They are both great, but the auto level really helps when you've packed for a week long family vacation. My opinion is that you are driving a much larger car. My wife says her seats are more comfortable... but probably because she cranks the power lumbar support up for her back.
This discussion has been closed.