Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• Options
    wazooworkswazooworks Member Posts: 17
    I couldn't find the engine pictures on carpoint, but here are links to some rather large pictures of my 2002 SSEi's engine, stock:

http://www.cotse.net/users/drsnoid/pics/eng1.jpg

http://www.cotse.net/users/drsnoid/pics/eng2.jpg

http://www.cotse.net/users/drsnoid/pics/eng3.jpg

Tell me what differences you see.

• Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Perusing through Edmund's new car guide for the 2003 Bonnevilles, I noticed some interesting things on the options list.

The head-up display is now an option for the SSEi (still not available on SE or SLE), $325. Also at extra cost was the previously standard trunk emergency kit, $100. Why are they doing this? Well, my guess is that they kept the price down by making the above two mentioned items optional. All the other options are the same price as they were in 2000, but the base price is up about $2,000 since then.

Dual-zone climate control is optional on the SLE. Didn't that used to be standard?

After two years, the rear spoiler is once again an option on the SE. But instead of being a delete option, it is no longer standard. Guess we'll be seeing more "tailless" Bonnies soon!

I have not seen where GM has decided to place the XM antenna on the Bonnie, but on the Alero it is dead-center on the leading edge of the roof. Ugly! On the Deville, at least it is on the trailing edge of the roof. (Quite frankly, based on my XM experience, it would work fine on the trunk deck.)
  • Options
    ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    The excellent pics provided by wazooworks are identical to my 2000. For better or worse, nothing under the hood has changed. Evidently Car Point has pics of a race prepared show engine. Maybe this engine is the soon to be (hopefully) 280 HP engine. Any news on this front? That 4.6 Marauder taunts me each time I drive by it at the dealership. If I knew they were going to boost the SSEi's HP... I could wait.
  • Options
    sse97bnvllesse97bnvlle Member Posts: 19
    I decided to get under the car and check it out and see if anything was loose. Well, those little O shaped things that u fill w/ the lube stuff on the back end were all busted....guess I kinda overfilled them last time they were hard as a rock....lol. And the grease had dripped onto the inside of the rim. My guess is thats what the vibration in the back was from. For the front, I noticed all of those were pretty low too. Sounds like it could cause a little vibration to me. Any thoughts? O yea and the brakes are really smooth so its not warped rotors or anything.
  • Options
    wazooworkswazooworks Member Posts: 17
    http://carpoint.msn.com/merismus//Gallery/c438700a.jpg

I found the carpoint picture. I can surely see why you asked the initial question!
  • Options
    fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    try this site below for new info on the 2003 bonneville- options standard equipt etc. very good

Chuck

http://h-body.hom.att.net/index.htm
  • Options
    Thanks for the plug, Chuck. Except you made a couple of typos; it's http://h_body.home.att.net or http://home.att.net/~h_body. I'm still looking for reader contributions! :-)
  • Options
    Mike- YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!- I couldn't remember who i had originally got the info from- its a real good site-i visit it to check out what's going on- reviews etc!
    Thanks again Mike- and everyonelse- go visit!!!

Chuck.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Seems like yesterday that I was looking ahead to vacation and now it's time to think about going back to work on Monday.

The Bonnie didn't get much of a work-out for these days. With pulling boats and carrying dogs, kids, birdcages and pressure treated lumber for a new dock, the Suburban earned it's keep.

We visited amusement parks, miniature golf sites, read a few books, went to movies and just played in and on the water for enough time to actually feel relaxing. Weather was a mixed bag but not bad.

Glad to hear Stephen had a good trip. Looking forward to checking out the 2003 Bonneville details and making more regular appearances here now.

Ken
  • Options
    xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    Ken, Glad to hear you had a nice vacation.

Dropped the Bonnie off at the dealer to have the ICE32 treatment done to the A/C. The product has it's own website to explain in detail what it does. Briefly it is supposed to make the A/C be able to cool down a car faster. I will see how it works over the next few days which will be in the mid 90's. Rented a Grand AM SE for one day and it was OK but it certainly was no Bonnie.

I also got the pictures back and will let you know when I have them posted.

Steve
  • Options
    intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Guys:

That engine shot you have there is from the Spirit of Bonneville '00 SSEi - which had more than 600 horsepower...

Here's a current shot of the engine bay in my '00 SSEi, currently at 470 horsepower and climbing...

http://3800performance.com/sponsored_cars.htm

Scott

• Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Why is your site called the "H-platform" site? The 2000+ Bonneville, LeSabre, and all Auroras ride on the G-platform, not the H. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

P.S. You're site is excellent. Very thorough.
  • Options
    Bonneville and LeSabre are derivatives of the "G" platform, which is the basis of Aurora. They are different enough, however, to warrant their own designation, which GM has called "H" (not to be confused with the H-bodies of lore).

Other than for the powertrains (which, according to my understanding, are not really considered part of the base "platform"), the "G" and "H" are pretty much the same. I guess it gets down to what GM considers a platform to be, and what differentiates one from another. I don't know the answer to that.
  • Options
    boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    As I have said before...

You are the best.

I often tell others about your fantastic Bonnie. One day I will get some stuff for my Dark Bronzemist SSEi and make it go a little faster. Just need to use up some of the warranty first.

Enjoying the ride.
  • Options
    jptuckjptuck Member Posts: 4
    Scott - where did you get your blowzilla charger and is there anywhere on the web I can get info on it? Looking to tweak my 2001 SSEI and that looks like a nice upgrade - Thanks--
  • Options
    klmaklma Member Posts: 9
    My husband has been wanting a Bonneville for years! He prefers the older body style so we are thinking about trying to find a low miles, 1998 Bonneville. Do you Bonneville drivers like your 1998 cars or did that year have a lot of problems? Personally I'd rather buy a minivan, but he's the boss! :) Thanks in advance for your personal insight!
  • Options
    I own a 1998 SSE- purchased it in January of this year with 57,200 miles Paid approx $10,995.- has every option except the Supercharged engine and Performance Ride Selections. The car now has close to 70,000 miles on it and has been a pleasure to own and drive. I use the car daily to commute to and from work approx 80 miles total.
    Some cars, regardless of what year, are going to have more problems than others, but overall- the 1998 Bonneville has a very good rating on reliability.
    Re-search before buying - visit sites like AUTO WORLD, CARPOINT etc.- both give the car a very good rating.

Some other information with regards to the 1998 model
    1. There are NO NHTSA RECALLS on this year.
    2. Either Consumers Guide or ConsumerReports- (not sure which one) - Best Buy for 1998
    If you and your husband can find a low mileage 1998 in great shape and the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate buying the vehicle.
    I also own a 2000 SE that my wife uses for work daily etc- obviously the 1998 SSE has more options (bells, whistles ETC) than my 2000SE-
    however, both cars have been very dependable and
    a joy to own.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Chuck
  • Options
    theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Been away (from here) a while - busier than a one-armed paper hanger and dealt with a crappy dial-up connection (major problems with my e-mail). Needless to say, on cable now. Now that rocks.

Michael: the move to making some standard equipment optional is a Lutzism - and a good way to keep the MSRP low. Personally, I'd want the heads-up if I was springing for the SSEi but since I only have an SLE, I don't know what I'm missing... (BTW, dual-zone climate control was standard on my '00 SLE)

Minivan vs '98 Bonnie?: Lessee, which way to go? hmmmmmm. Been there - went through this anguish when we bought our '00. Have now been almost that long without a minivan and don't miss it one iota. Ditto my wife and her '01 Grand Prix. To each their own though - minivan's do make a lot of sense - provided you frequently have need to carry more than 5 people or haul bulky items. Both are rareties for me.
  • Options
    I have a 97 bonneville sse....exactly the same as the 98s. Couple of minor problems, like a vibration but nothing defective just regular wear and tear parts. Don't regret buying it at all.
  • Options
    Good to see you Ice! Hope things settle downa bit for u there.

I've been back to work for a week now and am headed off this weekend for camping with the boys - my 2 and my nephew - so we've got the truck loaded and ready to go. One thing Bonnie doesn't do for us is haul STUFF - so the Suburban is great for times like these.

Enjoy the summer - it's half over!
  • Options
    streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I just upgraded my Bonnie from the stock wheels/tires to 18X8.5 ACE alloy wheels and 245mm wide 45 profile Michelin Pilot H4MMX !!!

The cars cornering, handling, and ride quality are all tremendously improved. The grip is absolutely amazing, and turn-in is sharp and fast.

A 3.4 inch supper charger pulley and upgraded wheels/tires transforms Bonnieville into a near super sedan.

I estimate my 1/4 times are now in the low 14s or high 13s and skidpad .88G plus! I need to get a g-tech and run some tests.

The new tires even with stock brakes probably put 60-0 distances down under 120ft. I actually saw a road test in motor week or auto week that got a stock Bonnie to do 60-0 in 118ft.

An intercooler and some 15 inch brembo brakes will put it over the top:)
  • Options
    loveanddeathloveanddeath Member Posts: 3
    Greetings all,
    I just acquired a 98 Bonneville SSE, Chromerims, HUD, 16 way power leather.

Have been reading archived posts.

Intense01 all I can say is WOW. (reminds me of my V8 Fierro)

Hope to be a regular here.
  • Options
    I actually bought my 3.4 inch supercharger pulley and puller tool from your sponsor - 3800performance.

Have you upgraded your brakes? I was thinking about 15 inch cross drilled brembos - but my performance shop wants $3K. I am also concerned if they will effect stabilitrak system - which performs awesome with stock brakes and upgraded wheel/tires. I would think if the system modulates the brakes based feedback from the sensors it would work even better. However, if it applies a preset amount of braking force - it may behave erratically now that the same "caliper pressure" will result in more braking power.
  • Options
    What is the range pf 1/4 times from actual owners, both stock and lightly modded (pulley)?

I remember a ways back someone posted they got 14.8s stock?

I am also a GTP owner, and most of those guys get between 14.3 and 15.0 stock - with most cars in the 14.5 to 14.8 range.

Hence, 14.8 to 15.5 might make sense for the bonnie - given slighly more weight but also better traction and slightly higher final drive ratio.
  • Options
    missouri2missouri2 Member Posts: 41
    i was thinking about buying another vette, but the older you get you think about other cars. the question i have could i have fun with a 2002 ssei and be able to mod her up a little
  • Options
    I have most of the same mods you have on my SSEi and have been fooling around with cars since the GTO/Roadrunner days. I believe you will find your SSEi 1/4 mile times much slower than 13's or 14's. I have gone up against REAL 13 or 14 second cars and have been humiliated. I think a trip to the track will probably produce a 15 second time slip on a good day. You need to get a hold of intense for the facts (and go fast goodies). It will boil down to money. Your GTP might be the better platform for a 14 second 1/4 mile car.
  • Options
    I have out accelerated several fellow street racers with "14 second" cars in the GTP - in both multiple highway or from a stop light.

The SSei now appears to be as fast, if not faster, from my own driving and a few partial throttle runs with my bother at the wheel for the GTP. We plan on doing some more serious testing:)

I know in an all out 1/4 run the FWD/Auto combo would put me at a disadvantage, especially with all the low-end torque of these cars.

Note - I am not talking about Firebird Formula, Camaro Z28, or any Vette- with either 4 speed auto or 6 speed manual. I consider these to be potentially low 13 high 12 second cars.

Here are some of my wins in the GTP

Audi A4
    Audi A6 2.7T
    Audi A6 4.2L
    Audi A8 4.2L

BMW 325ci
    BMW 330ci
    BMW 330xi (on a wet surface)
    BMW E36 M3 (240HP)
    BMW 540i
    BMW M Roadster (315HP)
    BMW Z3 3.0L (225HP)

Infiniti G35
    Infiniti I35
    Infiniti Q45 (previous generation)

Lexus IS300
    Lexus GS400
    Lexus LS430

Lincoln LS V6
    Lincoln LS V8
    Lincon MKIII (290HP 4.6L DHOC 32V V8)

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
    Mustang GT 5.0L
    Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC

Nissan 300ZX
    Nissan Maxima
    Nissan Altima 2.5
    Nissan Altima 3.5
  • Options
    Camaros and firebirds certainly have the potential for a 12 second car, but 99% have not or never will see this potential come to reality. I have bested a bunch of mustang GT's around town and even a Z/28 (auto 2:73 ratio) convertible. I don't believe I'd go up against the 3000 gt turbo (300 hp+), 300zx turbo, or BMW M roadster in my SSEi for pink slips any time soon. However I see some incredible times from the GTP guys...after and incredible amount of mods. I have a Trans AM as well, The SSEi just can't keep up with it at any speed or distance, but it feels faster for some reason...go figure.
  • Options
    by potential, I meant stock performance. I know several people running low 13s 1/4 miles with the stock 6 manual LS1 F-Bodies. I also know people running mid to high 13s 1/4 miles with stock 4 speed auto LS1 F-bodies, including a Z28 convertible that ran a 13.6!

I live NJ, which seems to have some of the best times, due to low altitude and generally cool dry air.

Bone Stock Regal GS and GTPs run 14.3 and 14.7 in the 1/4. My stock Regal GS would consistently produce 8-10PSI boost - considerably more than the 7.5PSI factory rating.
  • Options
    Does anyone know a good scratch remover and where it can be found?? The reason is......well, last night I was sitting outside smoking a cigarette around 2 am after I got home from work and this stray yellow lab kept wandering around our yard and wouldn't go away. I didn't think anything of it b/c it was friendly and wasn't bothering anything. For some reason it stood up on its back legs w/ it front paws on my front bumper. I jumped up and ran after it to scare it away from my car. Well, that didn't work. The stupid mutt jumped right up on the hood of my car. I yelled and cussed at it and even hit it really hard, and the stupid dog stayed there. I finally got it off by walking off and calling it. I was so mad I can't describe it in words....all I wanted to do was beat the dog to death. Now I have nice claw marks all over the hood. So much for the flawless paint job I USED to have.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I'm having trouble associating labrador retrievers, the lick you to death dog, with evil beast, but anyways, you should try posting this in the maintenance group. I'm guessing rubbing compound might be strong enough, hopefully it is not deeper than the clearcoat.
  • Options
    It was just a joke about the dog being evil. I just called it evil because it scratched my car.
  • Options
    wkawka Member Posts: 14
    Our 2000 ssei is getting close to it's warranty end date. I have a few problems.

Braking at speed gives a pulsing sensation, suspect warped rotors, is this a known problem.

Idle is rough at times, cruising the highway for a couple of hours, when we slowed the idle was going from 600 to 1000 for a few minutes. a half dozen times or so the engine stalled while idling.

Compass went out the other day, saying to recalibrate but than came back in.

A couple of other small issues including the onstar recall.

Any advice on the above?
  • Options
    john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    Can you elaborate on the OnStar recall. I have a 99 Bonneville ssei which is why I check into this forum, but the OnStar is on our 2002 Rendezvous. I'm wondering if there are any issues which impact it. Thanks for any input you can give. And Good luck w/ getting your warranty issues resolved. We've had pretty goodluck w/ our '99 Bonneville, and we're well past our warranty period.
  • Options
    Hope you love your Bonnie to death!!!!

Welcome to the fold. Please let us know of your experiences along the road!

Ken (2000 SE)
  • Options
    It only appears to affect certain 2000 and 2001 models. Here's part of the campaign notice:

SUBJECT:
    01045A - ONSTAR GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM (GPS)

MODELS:
    2000: GMC YUKON, YUKON XL, DENALI, ENVOY,
    CADILLAC ESCALADE, DEVILLE, SEVILLE, ELDORADO,
    CATERA

BUICK PARK AVENUE, LESABRE
    OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA, SILHOUETTE
    PONTIAC BONNEVILLE, MONTANA
    CHEVROLET BLAZER, SUBURBAN, TAHOE, VENTURE

2001 AZTEK

Due to parts availability, this campaign will be administered in phases and dealer listings will not be issued. Parts are to be ordered when the customer contacts you to have this campaign performed on their vehicle.

CONDITION

General Motors has decided that certain 2000 model vehicles, and certain 2001 Pontiac Aztek model vehicles, equipped with a factory or dealer installed OnStar system, may have a condition in which the OnStar Vehicle Integration Unit (VIU) may not be able to acquire a vehicle location from the Global Position System (GPS). This occurs only after power to the VIU is interrupted and restored, as when a battery is discharged or disconnected. If it occurs, OnStar services that are based on OnStar's ability to locate the vehicle - including airbag deployment notification, stolen vehicle tracking, and more - may not function. This condition is unlikely to occur during the first 12-14 months.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I'm afraid we're seeing the first results of Mr. Lutz philosophy: sell less for more...

He said that people end up buying plain import cars over domestic, in spite of better equipment. His rationale is that the customer doesn't care about a good load of accessories.

Well, my last two cars were from GM PRECISELY because I perceived them as a better value!

My other car is a Stratus and I think that Mr. Lutz's approach is partially responsible for Chrysler's demise: good looking cars with no content.

I just hope that he sees the light before his mistake hurts GM more.
  • Options
    Does any one have any experience, opinions, or recommendations with either of these?

I have 2002 SSEi with 3.4 inch pulley, and 18X8.5 ACE Wheels and 245/45 Michelin Pilots.
  • Options
    I was packing the SSEi for our anual trip to the beaches of Florida when I noticed a puddle of red fluid underneath the car. Quick change of plans and cars (power steering hose). Dropped the SSEi at the dealer and serviced our 2000 Park Ave and made it ready for the road. Left at 2:00 am and drove through some very remote areas of MO., AK, and MS. About noon, coming out of a curve 30 miles south of Hattisburg, Ms. the steering, water pump and alt went out. Threw a belt. Drove off the road and saw an Autozone across the hiway. Sputtered into the lot and decided to buy some tools and make a repair; then I found out the engine must be lifted out of the cradle to remove the belt. Bummer. Upon closer inspection of what looked like a new belt, I noticed plastic shavings coming out of the tensioner pulley. I went back in and bought a tensioner (100 bucks) it looked a little hairy for a shade tree repair.... appeared to have water connections. I then pulled the tensioner pulley and bearing off (with a crescent wrench) and replaced only the pulley. The tensioner itself never was bad. They tell me the pulley is not available by itself. I left the old belt on and 2000 miles later I'm back with a new road story. The dealer replaced the SSEi hose and lubed the steering shaft while I was gone...nice. As the Bonneville and Park are very similar, I wonder if the engine must be lifted for removal of the main belt. I'd go look, but I don't want to look under any hoods for a while.
  • Options
    It's too bad that I found out yesterday that my SLE is electronically limited to just 100MPH. :^( The car had much more to give, as it was loafing at mere 3500RPM and the sensation was sure footed, as always.

Darn, I got used to more than that in a business trip to Germany! ;^)
  • Options
    adallasadallas Member Posts: 1
    I disconnected the battery on my 96 and changed the plug wires. Afterwards my climate control works but will only blow hot air. The set point temp. flashes and the owners manual says take it to the dealer. I had already taken it to a reputable AC shop and they reset the computer but said although it fixed it momentarily, it went back to doing the same thing. Anyone had the same problem and know the fix?
  • Options
    What's your preferred leather care product and how often do you use it and why?

TIA
  • Options
    skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2001 SLE. I was told by my dealer that the top end is 124 mph. I have been in the 115 range when I ran out of open highway. My Sonoma is limited to 95 mph and at that speed the engine rpm drops to idle rpm and it will not pick up until the truck slows to 90. Only then will the computer allow the engine to start to repond.
  • Options
    mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I'm back from Maine(the land nearly devoid of Bonnevilles) after a very nice but too short summer out there. Felt awfully good to get back in the seat of the Bonneville and have it fire right up after sitting there in the garage for nearly 3 months. After driving a van all summer, the kick in the seat of the pants felt especially good when I "accidentally" dropped the hammer on the throttle. I also have to get used to the controls of the Bonneville all over again since the location of the van's controls seem to be imprinted in my brain.
    Saw that the Monaro/GTO was going to be hit with the gas guzzler tax. I guess at 350hp there wasn't any way to avoid it.
  • Options
    skyhawk3, that's exactly what my SLE did, drop the RPM when I reached 110, even though it was far, far away from the red line...

I just called Pontiac customer service and they confirmed the 110MPH... :^( They said that only the SSEi goes to 124MPH.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I had an opportunity a few years ago with my '97 GP / GTP (obviously very much the same drivetrain as the Bonneville SSEi) in a sanctioned, top speed run on an otherwise unused airport runway in NC. On my fastest run, I entered the speed traps just as I hit the top speed limiter - and thus I 'coasted' through the traps - at an official: 126.761 mph.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who does occasionally miss the torque of that mildly modified S/C 3800 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I believe the manufacturers do that due to the speed rating of the tire supplied with the car. The car might be capable of more but the tires aren't. It begs the question of what to do if you replace the original tires with higher rated tires.
  • Options
    However, my SLE came with H-reated tires, capable of up to 130MPH... :^/ I guess it has the same engine computer as the SE, as they share the same engine, which probably has either S or T-rated tires. Even though the SLE comes standard with the performance axle, when GM might raise the top speed instead.
  • Options
    dmckeowndmckeown Member Posts: 107
    Just stopped by and saw streetracers ?'s. I believe a GTP will be a good half second faster in the quater mile then a 2000 or later SSEi, maybe closer to .8 running the same level of mod's. It is more then just weight, it maybe the Stabilatrack in the late model SSEi acts a bit like the Track control when left on, it senses wheel spin when you luanch and cuts power. So if you want 13.5 quarter's in your SSEi you have to spend a few grand more then in your GTP, sucks but true.
    As for street racing here in my area of N.Y. the word is out on GTP's, you won't find many that want to race you cause they have no idea what level of mod's your running and a stock one will stomp the B jesus out of most cars. I race often (at a track) with my GTP and the late model GT Mustangs hate to line up against us. Very humiliating to them. Most of our GP club cars that race here are consistant 13.5 to 14's so we are mid level moded GTP's. I did get a lot more street racing in my 2000 SSEi then my GTP but thats OK, speeding tickets are expensive.
    Check out Zoomers stage 1 intercooler, target price about $1,000 and stage 2 should be $1,500. You know his 97 GTP ran a 11.97 a week ago, too cool!
    I think if I were you I'd see what a 3.25 feels like on your SSEi plus some exhuast mod's, like down pipe change and ported exhuast manifolds . Rockers are cost effective also.
    The Intense transaxle is a better deal then SLP's for sure, the LSD and the lower final drive gives you some kick were we need it, at low speed WOT applications. And Scott at 12.1 in that crazy Bronzmist 2000 SSEi sure test the transaxle he sells!
    See ya, Doug
    P.S Ezrapon, keep your belt on ! Didn't you spit a SC belt on your SSEi? TEN-SION !
  • Options
    It's true that the manufacturer programs the PCM to limit the top speed of the car based upon the speed rating of the tires, but I think in this litigious day and age there may be other factors as well that determine the top speed limit. On some cars, the manufacturer will program different speed limits at the factory for different performance configurations, but my guess is that GM decided 110 mph was the overall limit for the Bonneville regardless of tires or axle ratios. If you put higher speed rated tires on the car, GM is not going to simply let you up the limit, and my guess is that it is not a parameter one can set with a scan tool either (it's probably in the firmware).
This discussion has been closed.