Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    Fortunately I don't pay for gas,repairs or depreciation but I do pay with my time when a car has to go back to the dealer.

I do believe reducing gas consumption will reduce the economic leverage of illegitimate oil rich governments and the looney religious factions they spawn. Improving the average gas mileage will therfore make the global cleanup after 9/11 more efficient.

Iguess the decision will come down to gas mileage and dependability between thw Bonny SE and Avalon XL
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I love both cars. I choose the SSEi because of its looks, my love for pontiacs, and all the wonderful aftermarket mods avaiable:)

I think both car's could use a LSD. The Aurora so it can make use of high RPM launch, and the SSEi so you can put to the floor and use all that torque in 1st:)
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    These two were on my short list as well - along with the Acura TL and the Aurora. The Avalon finished fourth. I just felt that it was cheaply finished and dreadfully dull. Further, not one dealer had a completely bone-base Avalon on the lot - they all had the "upgraded" 16 inch wheels for which you have to pay a premium (over the stock 15 inch wheels) and sundry other options. Unfortunately typical Toyota pricing.

It took a lot to get me to buy the Bonneville - my first North American car - but I'm glad I did.

ice
  • mike95auroramike95aurora Member Posts: 3
    I was looking at a 95 ssei, couldn't get over the interior, no offense. It also had a torn up seat. I also wanted a series II (aftermarket), looked at some rivs, hated the fronts, then i saw the aurora, As much as i like the exterior the interior is in my opinion the best GM's ever made, nicer than the caddy's i test drove (94's).

I wouldn't recomened that intense trans with 3.69's, wouldn't that decrease your top end alot?, the 4.0 revs to 6400, so it does fine cruising at 140 with 3.71's :). and besides you already say your having traction problems at low speeds, id keep the 2.93 with a limited slip that thing would really grab hard with a set of 255's or 245's.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Is it possible that the GXP will replace the SSEi? Has anyone heard of this as a possibility? To me this would make sense. I would hope that the GXP would be priced at the current levels of the SSEi. I can't see many willing to pay over 40 grand for a Bonneville. With the Aurora going away in early 03, maybe the GXP with the V8 would be a good substitution.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    On the other hand, if the GXP does replace the SSEi, I just hope that the super-charger becomes an option in the remaining models as it used to be with the previous generation.
    Couldn't agree with Mike95 more. The '99 Auroras I checked out (the '01s hadn't made it out when I bought the '00 Bonnie) were very nice inside and had a familiar feel to the import buyer in me. While quite different, the Bonnie's interior also appealed - a nice solidity and a "sportiness" that I liked. And a big difference compared with the '99 and earlier Bonnies - which didn't appeal to me nearly so much.

ice
    I checked mine out today - regularly aspirated Series II. Definitely composite material. Hard to believe that part could cost that much - doesn't look like much and, given the ubiquity of the Series II, you'd think they'd have a fairly decent production run. I wonder if scrapyards are a decent source.

ice
    I finally ordered my new tires for the Bonnie - Nokian WRs. I'll only be getting them next week so no driving impressions just yet. They were expensive blighters - more than new Eagle RSAs would have cost me - and they didn't have the 235/55/17 size. I had to settle for 225/55/17s. The disadvantages? My speedo will be down by 1% and perhaps poorer cornering adhesion. The advantage? The narrower tire should be slightly better in the snow.

ice
    I have an 2002 SSEi - with the stock 3.05 final drive ratio. A 3.69 is about 26% shorter gearing. The car is only turning a little less than 2000RPM at 80MPH in 4th. The 3.69 would be the engine at about 2500RPM. The redline is 6000RPM. Intense all sells stronger lighter pushrods and valve rockers, whihc both increase power and with an aftermarket chip enable a safe higher redline.
  • adf1adf1 Member Posts: 20
    What change/s (if at all) can I expect from replacing the stock filter with K&N's rectangular drop-in, on a 2002 SE?

My current stats (5 weeks of ownership) are:
    80 mph @ about 2050 rpm
    22-24 mpg
    I drive daily ~80 miles, mostly fwy.

Also, couldn't figure out the part# on this board; does anyone have the correct one?

This car is amazingly FANTASTIC!!! I had owned a 98 Dodge Intrepid ES (V6, 3.2L, 225HP, 225T) and the Bonnie simply leaves the Pid in the shade...
    I have a K&N in my Grand Prix GTP. The engine (then stock) seemed to rev quicker and throttle response was better, with possibly some increased top end. I am not sure if there any independent reputable tests showing measurable improvements in horsepower or torque.
  • garnold1garnold1 Member Posts: 11
    You guys won't believe this but we have an old Bonneville (1986) with only 78K miles on it! We nicknamed it "The Limo" thanks to the large interior and comfortable seats. Also the floating boat like ride. It belonged to Granny who only drove it 3K miles per year. She replaced it with . . . a new fully loaded Bonneville, of course! Hey, it's paid for! Now comes the custom paint, tinted windows and stereo. And the insurance/taxes is next to nothing on this car. The only problem is I can't get my husband to ever let me drive it. Doesn't he want to take my small, energy efficent, 4 cyl Nissan Altima to work once in a while?
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    It's certainly hard to tell what, if any, changes occur after dropping in a K+N. It's possible that I'm getting better gas mileage and performance due to the improved flow of air. Without comprehensive test equipment, it's like taking aspirin for a headache. Would the pain have gone away even if you didn't take it? One thing is for sure, it is permanent and you never have to replace an air filter again.

The model # of the K+N in my 2000 SSEi is:
    MM33-2086
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I think it is safe to say that if there were signigicant fuel economy improvements to be had using the K&N or any similar design, the automakers would have been all over it like proverbial flies. My guess is that my improvement is likely in the couple of tenths of a mpg and that gets lost in the clutter of differing traffic conditions, lead footitis and so forth. Not that it is a bad thing but I just don't think the gains are noticable.
    Got my 2000 back from its 3rd trip to the dealer for a leaking trunk. They had it 5 days this time and swear they got it fixed. We'll see. I had a Sunfire for a loaner for 3 days and about 300 miles and let's just say it made me appreciate the Bonneville even more.
    My wish list for the GXP:
    1. Firmer ride. If you have ever been behind one of these cars, they look like a sompetitive swimmer doing the breast stroke with all of the bobbing up and down.
    2. Better handling and less of a numb feeling in the steering wheel. Speed sensitive steering or no, there just isn't the feeling of preciseness that I would like to see.
    3. Functional head rests. Enough said.
    4. Trunk release button back on the driver's door.
    5. Kick ..... stereo. This has been discussed before. The Bose system is nice(get ahold of the Eagles live on their reunion tour doing Hotel California to give the bass a true workout) but I don't think we're asking too much for a car at this price point to do better.
    6. Same fuel economy as I get now. That's being really greedy, I suppose, since the comparison is between the V-6 and the V-8 but a fella can hope.
    7. Almost forgot but a true limited slip differential.
    You listening out there, GM design team?
  • sonnyb3sonnyb3 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 96 Bonne Se with only 47k miles on it. Just bought it and love it. However, there is a really annoying dash or passenger door creak. Of course I can hear it over bumps, I can even hear it on smooth roads when turming. Have not had an extra person avail to help with isolating it. Has anyone had this problem.
    Not with a '96 but I initially had a couple of door panel creaks occur on my '00. Since my door panel is very different from yours, there's no point in discussing where it was. However, once I was able to isolate the creak, it was a simple matter of applying a targetted (and small) dab of long-lasting, clear lubricant. Since I did this last year, the creaks have not reoccurred. Lucky? Perhaps.
    I finally got my Nokian WRs installed. Specs: 225/55/17, V-rated and load rating is 101. They're an all season performance tire which actually also passed the test to earn the "severe service" emblem - meaning they exceed government snow condition regulations. I've already tried them out on ice, snow, wet and dry and they beat the RSAs by miles on the first three and do as well on the fourth.

Unfortunately, these things are not available widely (for example, forget about tirerack.com) and they're extremely expensive - this is the most I have ever paid for tires but I'm already convinced that it was money well spent.

Highly recommended - especially for changeable winter conditions. Ideal if you don't want to have to change tires twice a year.

I just have never been as impressed with a tire before.

ice
    This car is to have the 4.4 V8, where is this coming from? is it a brand new design? What other cars will it go in? Is it a version of the 4.0 V8 that is currently used in the Aurora? Anyone have any thoughts on these questions?

Dale
    Having looked at the Zaino bookmark for at least a year and a half every time I went to any site, I finally got in gear and ordered their polish. I must say that I am quite impressed with the results. I took about an hour to do the clay bar and then applied the polish. The whole thing took about two and a half hours. I must say that the results would have been even more dramatic on a dark color. Also, the window cleaner is truly excellent if anyone is considering order from them.
    The 4.4L is a derivative of the Aurora engine. There has been no word on other applications that I'm aware of. On a related note, you wonder what car salesman do all day. When I stopped the other night at the dealer to get mine out of the shop, I was talking to the salesman who had sold me the car. He had not heard of the GXP nor had the owner's son.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Ha ha about the salesmen! I always wondered that too. I mean, they have tons of literature and info kits that I would kill for, yet they still don't know a damn thing about the cars they sell. They get paid 8 hrs a day to learn that stuff. I'm sure they have plenty of down-time during the week. I don't know why you would sell something that you have zero interest in.

The 4.4L is a variant of the Premium V8 family (Northstar and Aurora). It's just a new displacement. There was a recent press release about the Performance Division, and the GXP was mentioned along with the V-Series and some other vehicles. So it looks like the GXP will be a "Performance Division" model, so it's possible the SSEi will stay on as the highest-end non-tuner version of the Bonnie. I imagine the GXP will be a fair bit more expensive than the top non-tuner version, although if it goes over $40,000 (especially if it's way over) then that will just make me miss the Aurora with it's $32,000 V8 all the more... The Grand Prix GXP will be out at least a year earlier than the Bonnie, I believe. So maybe the price premium on the GP GXP will give an idea of how much more the Bonnie GXP will cost (although the GP GXP doesn't get a new engine).
  • sonnyb3sonnyb3 Member Posts: 16
    If I was only that lucky Iceman. I could take the door panel off 1,2,3. The dash is a different animal. Its so cold out now I dont know if I want to mess with the dash. I have too isolate the area and then mess around. Thanks...
    I believe is supposed to be out in about a year. I think the GP GXP will follow the Bonnie GXP. I thought that I read that the Bonneville GXP and the CTSv are to be the first two vehicles to come from the performance division.

It would make sense to me to drop the SSEi in favor of the GXP. I don't think the GXP is a 40K car and with the SSEi still around it would force the GXP to be close to that point.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    You may be right. The new Grand Prix is coming out as a 2004 model, which means it could be anytime in the next 6 months or so. I thought the GXP was going to debut then too, but apparently not. It's the Comp-G package on the GTP that will be the hot setup. It has suspension and wheel/tire differences, plus stabilitrak and TAP-shift. But it isn't the GXP. I guess that will (or won't) come later. Apparently the Bonneville GXP is set to come out in early 2004. I thought the Bonnie GXP would wait for the next version Bonneville, which probably wouldn't be until 2005 or later (since it was new for 2000), but apparently it isn't. I guess there is no reason the Premium V8 and 4T80-E can't fit in the current Bonnie. After all, the current Bonnie is built on a lower-cost version of the Aurora's platform, which fits that engine/tranny just fine (the extra displacement doesn't add any external dimesion to the engine). It should be a neat car.

I see what you are saying about dropping the SSEi. However, I think it may depend on how GM views the Performance Division and the in-house tuner cars. If it is AMG-like, it would make sense to keep the SSEi as the premium non-tuned car. But there will be some overlap in product that way (which may be ok, especially if the "tuned" version has a large price premium).
    Do you think GM will put a LSD or even a torque biasing differential in the GXP?

I think this would be a great idea, it would basically mitigate the negative characteristics of front wheel drive (power-on understeer, torque steer, and wheel spin).

They are available aftermarket for $500 (Intense) and $1000 (Quaife) for any car with the 4T65 transmission.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    GXP versions of the Grand Am and Sunfire were on display at the Central Florida International Auto Show this past weekend. Alas, no such animal in Bonneville clothing. It appears that Pontiac has the GXP "look" (styling) pretty much finalized.
  • thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    Did anyone catch the car Christopher was driving on the Sapranos last night. They had in car footage before you saw the exterior of the car and I could tell it was a Bonnie by the door panel & memory switches, however the panel had a two tone insert on it (i.e. GXP). Then they showed two rather short shots of the exterior of the car and it was a Gray GXP. At first I thought maybe it was just a SSEi w/ custom wheels but as it drove off you could see the molded rear spoiler.
    I heard a long time ago that the GXP was going to be on the show - can't remember where I heard that. I'll have to watch a repeat of the show this week.
    What do you guys recommend to apply to her leather and how often, for maintenance purposes?

TIA
    I use Lexol's cleaner and conditioner and have been very pleased with it. The conditioner soaks in after an houor or two so you aren't sliding around.
    After Saturday night, I can definitively state that the Bonneville's Bose system is superior to the sound system of the Beetle Turbo S. We had dinner at our friend's and one thing led to another with he and I out in their driveway at 10:00 at night in the freezing cold trying to destroy each other's eardrums with the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" album. I was just afraid that the paper would have a note about a prominent local attorney(not me) served with a summons for excessive noise in his own driveway. I was very surprised at how much better either car system was than his home system which is no slouch in its own right. At any rate, I claim victory by a clear margin.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    All this talk about new Gran Prix and Bonnevilles! Well, back in my day, they were the same car with different front and rear treatments. The GP was a Bonne/catalina with concealed headlights and cool tail lamps back on the fantail. I seem to remember a 421, 389, and then 400's 428's and 455's. We didn't need no stinkin' super chargers, multi-valves, or overhead cam. Buck's worth of 30 cent premium and a spot and steak & shake...life was good. Problem is... my SSEi 6 mpopper would probably whip most of them.
    Yes, the sleek black sedan Chris drive's in this season finale is offically confirmed as a 2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP. USA today has the article.
    Does it mean that it's the official car of the Mafiosi mobsters? :^D
  • roma007roma007 Member Posts: 39
    Guys, I need to verify something. Did 1994 Bonneville SEs come with power heated mirrors, or were at least available as options. I got a mirror from a junk yard where the guy says it is heated, but I don't know how to verify.
    VIN of the car the mirror came from: 1G2HX52L1R4226464

Thanks in advance.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Only the SSE came with heated mirrors in that generation Bonneville. (90% sure, only had a '95 reference at hand). Can tell because they had blue tinted glass. The VIN you listed is for a Base SE Bonneville.
    Will call the place tomorrow and will ship the thing back.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    The '94 SE came with non-heated LH power and RH manual mirrors. Power non-heated LH and RH were available in an option group. The SSE came with power LH and RH blue tinted heated mirrors as standard.
    I had to replace my mirrors three times already. I guess crooks just like to steal these.
  • bunky36bunky36 Member Posts: 94
    mfahey1 mentioned using Zaino products awhile back. I have used Zaino products on my Pontiacs for several years now, and I have never seen any products like them. They beat everything I have ever used and last a whole lot longer. I don't know what's in that stuff, but it sure does work. I use the clay bar, Z-2, 5, 6, and 7 on the exterior and Z-9 and 10 on the interior. And it's true what other users say, the more Z-2 coats you apply, the deeper the shine and the higher the gloss. I get tons of compliments on how great my cars look.
    It has only been a couple of weeks but several rainstorms since I first applied the Zaino. It still looks great and now you almost have me tempted to go out and put a second coat on.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
    I have been scouring the Internet looking for photographs of the concept GXP that was introduced at the 2002 Chicago Auto Show, and of the production GXP that will appear in 2004 that was shown at the recent SEMA show in Las Vegas. I have gathered 10 of them together into an album at

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4290953645.

That's a Sony website that hosts digital pics, video clips, etc. You'll have to sign up to see the album, but it's free.

I have seen that part of the Sopranos episode that the GXP was in, and it is clearly the concept car. Apart from the V-8 that will be in the production version, they are hard to tell apart. The grille is the only obvious difference. The production car has a Solstice-like grille. My favorite pic is of the production GXP in the courtyard of the Guggenheim museum. Enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

Very nice pictures. I wonder if the production version will get the cross drilled rotors. Got to almost the last picture and gasp, the fog lights are spread apart like a common(sniff) SE. This will never do.
    Zooming in on the photos of the production car wheels makes it fairly clear that the cross-drilled rotors won't make it. Too bad. They look pretty sharp, and would probably perform better.

I thought the same things about the fog lights. If I was designing the GXP I would have left the front fascia pretty much alone. I like the aggressive look of the current SSEi front end. But somewhere along the way somebody at Pontiac must have decided the new look was better. Oh, well. I still want one!
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    I actually think the new front-end is much cleaner and more sporty looking than the current front end with all that excessive cladding and the 2 bulbous foglamps in the middle of the bumper.

Too bad it's not debuting this year since I don't think I can wait another year before getting a new car.

By the way, has the interior changed much?

No word on interior changes although the prototypes I've seen have been the '00-'01 interior (i.e. with cupholder lid) with a few "carbon fibre" and brushed stainless steel accents. One would hope that they'd do a little more than that now that they're planning on a '04 launch.

First things first - they're cleaning up the exterior and adding a V8. Yes, we'd like them to clean up the interior a bit - oh yeah, and make it RWD. Still, we might buy it anyway.

If only...

Happy holidays you all - and all the best for '03.

ice

• mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Rear-drive is not likely with the Bonneville, as the platform would have to be completely re-engineered. As far as the interior refinements for the GXP, I think they will only be decorative and not much else. Don't put too much weight on those cupholders, either, as the prototype car probably made use of a lot of spare bin parts.

Right now I just want an idea of how much it's going to cost to get one! ;-)
    I have added a couple photos of the 2002 and 2003 Bonneville SSEi interiors, and a couple I found of the GXP concept car interior.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4290953645

The 2003 photo shows the new seating design which can also be seen on the production GXP (the Guggenheim photo). The GXP will apparently have a two-tone pattern as evidenced by the photos of the concept car interior, and the Guggenheim photo. Looks like the basic instrument panel and door panel layouts aren't going to change. I'm not sure if I like or don't like the carbon fibre inserts. I guess I'll have to wait until I see one up close and personal.

• richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Bunky,
    Looks like they changed the guage cluster and moved the heated seat controls to the center shift area. I wish they improved the interior quality a bit, although the exterior is very sleek and athletic looking.

I can get a really, really good deal on a 2003 SSEi now, but I think I will be kicking myself in a year if I do that now.
    Just got back from a 1600mls. trip up the mountains of NM. Besides the amazing scenery in the Sacramento Mountains, boy, did I enjoy driving the Bonnie up and down those winding roads!

I got out with the oil life monitor displaying 20% left, but I had no time to replace the engine oil. With the altitude varying by almost 8000ft., at the end of the trip there was still 3% left. I'll change the oil tomorrow and won't wait to see what happens when it reaches 0%... ;^)

BTW, after over 50gals., the average mileage was about 27MPG with a mix of 70 to 80MPH highway driving, 30 to 50MPH hills and some urban stretches.
  • grissgriss Member Posts: 1
    I would like to hear any pros and cons from owners of 2003 SSEi's. I plan on making a purchase within the next 60 days. Everything I have researched on the web so far has me excited about my decision to go with this vehicle. I plan on going with every available option other than the engine heater.
This discussion has been closed.