Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    So they delete the valet key on the SE, but make big brother OnStar standard? Hmmmm...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I've grown tired of the On$tar mandatory option thing with GM. Do they own On$tar? so that they're forcing people to pay for one year of service and hopefully renew it?

There are options I'd want but to get them On$tar is mandatory. Can't put packages of desirable options together without the On$tar $500 option.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

A quick search of the Town Hall didn't turn up much in the way of discussions about OnStar (am I missing it?), but I'm getting curious about what others think. My new Chevy Avalanche has OnStar (my SSEi was built a month or two before OnStar production began on the Bonneville line), and after doing some research I have mixed feelings about it.

From a techie viewpoint, the telematics technology is getting pretty interesting. Now, an OnStar advisor can collect information about the vehicle including GPS position, DTCs, and of course air bag deployment. Additionally, they can remotely unlock the doors. It seems that it will be only a matter of time before they can remotely start the engine, open the windows, change the radio station -- all but drive the darn thing. The new Cadillac STS will have the "next generation" OnStar which will automatically report any crash -- whether the air bags deploy or not -- directly to emergency services. This can be good -- and bad, depending on whether or not you really want this kind of information to be shared so transparently and without your control.

Reading the OnStar service agreement, there is a blurb about how if the bank or leasing company wants to repossess the vehicle, they can (presumably with a court order) use OnStar to locate the vehicle. Scary? Speed, and the police send you a ticket? Don't wear your seat belt, and the insurance company ups your rates?

With all the information available on the Avalanche's DIC (personal and business trip logs, fuel used, engine hour meter, and personalized settings), who's to prevent a hacker from calling an OnStar-enabled vehicle and getting (or setting) all sorts of information?

Now, I'm not typically the paranoid type, but as a software engineer I am well aware of the potential capabilities of this technology. And I don't like Big Brother. It may be a little premature to predict this, but the way GM is going, it may not be long before you cannot drive one of their vehicles off the dealer's lot without some sort of OnStar capability. Just like Microsoft requires you to register Windows XP before you can use it. Already GM has gotten to the point where many (if not most) repairs must be done by the dealership, as the small shops or do-it-yourselfer simply cannot get access to the tools or software required to maintain these vehicles. The new 20" "factory-approved" wheels for the Silverado and Sierra cannot be mounted by anyone except a dealer, as a special authorization code must be obtained from GM (for a fee) to recalibrate the PCM (and another code if you want to put the original wheels back on later). This is the road GM seems to be headed down (I'm sure others are doing the same).

It will be interesting to see what develops.
    luddite "Vehicle Tracking and Recovery systems (ex. GM OnStar, MB TeleAid, BMW Assist)" Apr 6, 2004 8:04am

Vehicle Tracking and Recovery systems (ex. GM OnStar, MB TeleAid, BMW Assist)

This is the only discussion I found about OnStar.

Lately I've seen print and TV advertising for the GTO, GXP and Comp G. Seems like they're marketing all three cars together, and in typical Pontiac fashion, none of the ads really show off the great looks of these cars (very dark and mysterious). The big selling point for all three: horsepower. Samuel L. Jackson continues the voice-overs for the TV spots. Excitement? For this Pontiac enthusiast, I think they could do better...
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    After a year of free OnStar and having never used it, I exercised my control over it: didn't sign up after the grace period expired.
    Yeah, but just because you are not paying for service does not mean that the system is physically deactivated (or could not be reactivated remotely by OnStar). IIRC, even if you don't have service with OnStar, you *could* push that blue OnStar button at any time and connect with an advisor (for example, if you decided to sign up again). So the system *is* still alive. Again, sounding paranoid here, but the only way I know of to disable OnStar with confidence is to disconnect the Vehicle Communication Module or at least the lead to the cellular antenna.

I guess my worry (perhaps unfounded?) stems from those air bag modules. They record the last five seconds of vehicle data, and this data has been used in court successfully. Again, maybe for the better but you never know. Who's to say that someday OnStar might not be used in a similar manner?

I could have sworn that the IEEE published a great article on automotive telematics and information privacy, but I can't find it right now. Maybe it was someone else. But this two-year-old article is a good summary: http://www.drivers.com/article/549/
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    IIRC, in the user's manual, when the subscription expires, the cellular module is deactivated and can only be activated through the blue button, which brings up the cellular communications module and OnStar then pays the local AMPS phone company for the privilege. In other words, OnStar cannot activate the phone module remotely.

I understand the potential for invasion of privacy of such services, but it's not less than that of your ISP.

Sure, something may be what they state and what it is, but that would be really, really paranoid. :-)
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    On star was standard on the 2001 SLE we purchased for my wife. We have continued the service for two main reasons. My wife has medical problems and On star is a security blanket. The hands free phone is also convenient for her. I recently purchased a new Malibu Maxx for myself and took a car off the lot that did not have On Star.

A former co-worker was on his way home last August and was in a remote part of the state when he felt faint. He stopped on the roadside and pushed the button. On star called rescue, identified his location and continued talking to him until rescue arrived. He then notified a relative of the emergency and car location. My friend had open heart surgery and is now fine.

The privacy issues were never a concern for us. I remember how irked I was that I had to buy a tilt wheel to get intermittant wipers on an 86 Olds custom cruiser wagon for my wife. I hate to have something forced on me. I would never be without tilt now and my wife's car will always have On Star. My 2 cents.
  • bladeblade Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I just purchased a new Bonny GXP(2004) and talk about SWEEEET!! The stereo rocks. Just wondered if you or anyone else knows of any upgrades for this car? I want to get a K&N air filter first off but can't find one. Possibly a chip or something to get a bit more horsepower. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Just purchased a 2004 Bonneville GXP, anyone know of any performance upgrades available yet? K&N, chips, etc.?
    Your pictures didn't come through>
    Could you repost please?

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Best of luck with the new ride!

Once you have a few more miles on your GXP and have an opportunity, please let us know what highway MPG you see?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Used to 2000 rpm at 60 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bunky36bunky36 Member Posts: 94
    Me, too! I bit the bullet, sold my SSEi, and bought the GXP, all this past weekend. It has all options except the CD changer in the trunk and the engine block heater. The sweet deal the dealer offered me was just too good to pass up.

It is VERY fast off the line—for a 3800 pound family sedan. One can certainly tell it has a 3.71 axle. Shows on the highway, too—65 mph @ 2100 rpm vs. 1750 in the SSEi. I’ve put 100 miles on it, mostly around town driving—15 mpg so far, so I’m thinking I’ll get at or near the EPA 17 in town when it loosens up a bit. Maybe a K&N filter will help the mileage a bit? I’ll miss the 21 mpg in town of the SSEi, but the V8 engine and exhaust sound is just too, too sweet, as is the pull of that V8, when I punch it! And no torque steer. Amazing!

Very nice touch:

First thing I did was replace the puny “V8” emblem on the passenger side of the trunk lid with a “Northstar V8” badge from an ’04 Cadillac:

• ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    How does the acceleration stack up? A whole lot faster/marginally faster/about the same. My 2000 ssei with the Bose had decent highs and mid range but no bass at all. A small detail, perhaps, but with today's factory stereos, you are stuck with them. It's impossible to add components with all the onstar etc.
  • jbmjbm Member Posts: 29
    Bunky-

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your Bonny GXP? Congratulations, btw. Hey how about some interior shots?
    Nice ride! I had my choice of the Dark Metallic blue or the Black and I opted for the blue, but your black one is just as sharp! I can't find any K&N parts for it yet nor any other kind of upgrades. Still too new, I guess. Sounds like we have the exact same car, just different colors. Isn't the exhaust awesome?!? Pontiac really stepped up to the plate on this one, but should have pushed the envelope to 300+ horsepower in my opinion. Our biggest rival, as I owned a 95 SSEI prior, was the Chrysler 300M. They are now putting the 5.7 HEMI in them as an option. Don't know how the 4.6 is going to stack up to that monster!
    Scott
    Ezrapon and Blade: Do your GXP’s have a GM Performance Division badge in the engine bay somewhere—like up front near the radiator as in these photos off the GM Media website? Mine doesn’t. Before I go tell the dealer he owes me a badge, I thought I’d ask you.

Also since the GXP V8 is the same LD8 V8 that is in the 2004 Cadillac Seville SLS, I imagine the Cadillac K&N air filter (K&N part 33-2063-1) might fit. The K&N website has the dimensions on the filter, so I’ll be comparing that to my current filter in due course. K&N lists part HP-2006 as the oil filter for both the GXP and the SLS.

Blade: I was a tad disturbed some months back when I heard the GXP was going to have the 275HP version of the Northstar (LD8) and not the 300HP version (L37), but after checking the specs out on the two engines, I understand why Pontiac went with the LD8 and then hooked it to a 3.7:1 axle – more low end grunt. Boosting the LD8 horsepower with aftermarket stuff could make the GXP pretty competitive with the 300C, but I’m happy with mine the way it is. The 300C might be faster off the line, but it is such an ugly looking beast by comparison, I just would not be as happy tooling around in that thing. And the GXP engine/exhaust sound is awesome. I love XM radio and the Monsoon sound system, but I keep it turned off a lot so I can hear that ear candy.

jbm: I got what I consider to be a very generous purchase offer by the dealer. I have been doing business with them for several years now, and they treat me well on pricing. With the $3,000 rebate that Pontiac is offering on the GXP until June, every GXP deal should be a good one. I'm not posting the final price because that might upset those who didn't get as good a deal, and I might hear from others that I didn't get as good a deal as they did. I'm very happy with the deal I made and will leave it at that. Before I closed on the deal I checked with other dealers in the area, and found that others were ready to make good deals, too, so I think anybody in the market for a GXP will make out just fine. I'll post some interior shots this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Bill
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Excellent decision and explanation on not posting your purhcase price.
    I do have the engine badge in the engine compartment just behind and above the radiator. I am extremely happy with mine as well, but there is so much more horsepower to be gained since they limit it so much from the factory. I like dabbling in trying to get the most performance out of any vehicle I own. I agree with your comments on the 300C, ugly as sin!! I also liked the idea of the Northstar badge from Cadillac to replace the small v8 on the trunk lid. I guess you can get those from Cadillac?? Mine doesn't have the XM radio that I thought was standard on the 04's. I am haggling with my dealer to get this added as we speak. Hopefully they will treat me right, after all the money I spent on this baby! I did get a good deal, seemed like they were really ready to deal on this car to push it out the door. No complaints from me! I haven't even missed my 95 SSEI yet except for interior room. The 04 has a bit smaller interior than my 95 did. Thanks for the K&N tip, I will look into it.
    Blade: Thanks for the info on the badge. I'll be dropping in to see my dealer about that.

I got the Northstar badge from the local Cadillac dealer's parts store--cost about $22.

Good luck on the XM radio. I had it on my SSEi for a year and like many other things, after I used it awhile I wondered how I ever got along without it before. Between the clarity, variety, and the Monsoon system, I rarely listen to AM, FM, or CD's anymore.

BTW, dark metallic blue was my 2nd choice of colors. It's very attractive. I went with black because I have owned several black cars in the past and believe there is nothing prettier and more striking than a clean and polished black (or dark blue :-)) car. It's a lot of work keeping it that way, but worth the effort. I used to put cars I've owned in car shows, and I learned about Zaino products from some of those guys and have happily used that stuff ever since.
    I just ordered the badge and you are correct, $22. Zaino? I will have to try that. Any special location that sells this line? I will keep in touch with you hee at Edmunds, would like to compare notes as we get more miles on our cars. Let me know if you hear of any upgrade parts/tricks for the GXP's and thanks! Time to go home, long day at work!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    just got in two more GXPs and I went to look at them and they were both sold. Oh well, hopefully they will get more in soon. I am really waiting for one without a sunroof (eats too much headroom for me). Congrats for those who have purchased on this board. You got a VERY nice ride. Please keep us updated.
    Hey Dude, you were right again on the k&n filter. I measured mine and compared that to the dimensions on K&N's website and exact match(33-2063-1)!! Ordered one 5 minutes ago. Thanks again and keep me posted!
    Keep trying, it will be worth it! Have you tried carsdirect.com? I used them and had a car in three days at a great price! Good luck!
    Blade: I’ll be picking up my K&N filter this afternoon from a local car parts store (Pep Brothers), and I’ll stop by my dealer with the photos of the Performance Division badge that they owe me.

Go to www.zainobros.com for information on the Zaino products, and there’s also an interesting Zaino board on Edmunds: "Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2)" Apr 22, 2004 1:34am.

I’ve got all my Zaino stuff ready to go on the GXP—just waiting for the weather to break and stabilize a bit.
    I got this price for a fully loaded GXP 38K for 6 grand off sticker. This was their internet price. Maybe more could be wrangled out in person. This was without trick financing i.e., 3k GM and 3k at the dealer level. Is this good???
    this price makes it in the same ballpark as the GTO which is not discounted. Performance or luxury. Would the GXP be that much different than my 2000 SSEi? I know the GTO would be different.
    Price: Before I bought mine, I got several bids from local dealers through GM BuyPower, and most of them were in the $5-6k under MSRP range. One dealer must have thought I was a real boob because his bid was just $2.5k under MSRP. Anyway, that’s why I said in my earlier post that anybody in the market for a GXP will do just fine, especially while Pontiac is running the $3k rebates. I did a tad better through my long time dealer than the best BuyPower bids I received only because of my long time relationship with the dealer and because I’ve helped them sell a few cars over time. I never showed him the BuyPower bids.

GXP vs. SSEi vs. GTO: Depends on what trips your trigger I guess. Of course the Bonneville and the GTO are two different concepts. Performance vs. luxury as you say. Or pure performance in the GTO vs. luxury with attitude for the GXP as Pontiac would say. If I was Jay Leno I would have both a GXP and a GTO, but I have to choose. I had my fill of pure performance and teeth-jarring “hay wagon” ride qualities with my 6 Trans Ams, and decided I was ready for a little more luxury and gadgetry and a little less performance when I bought the SSEi a year ago. I didn’t regret that move at all for many reasons. I really wanted a GXP then, but it wasn’t available yet. So is the GXP that much different than the SSEi? Again, I guess that depends on what trips your trigger. The upside differences to me have been the V8 of course and all its sound and performance attributes, the gorgeous 18” flangeless wheels and tires, the dual-dual exhaust tips, all the interior touches like the carbon fibre everywhere, the white faced gauges, the black “chiclets,” the Monsoon audio system, and XM radio. Another upside difference, to me anyway, is the fact that since I spend a lot of time washing and waxing my cars, the new front and rear fascias, bodyside cladding, and rear spoiler are all much smoother feeling and easier to both wash and wax. And the final upside difference to me is that IMHO the GXP just looks classier and not so aggressive or “in your face” as the SSEi looked, although that look never bothered me. The downside differences for the GXP are the 250 lbs heavier weight, the lower gas mileage, and maybe the UltraLux suede-like seat inserts because I’m not sure about their long term wear ability and stain and smudge resistance compared to the all leather seats in the SSEi. And maybe the minor downside of the carpeted floor mats not including any “GXP” embroidery whereas the SSEi mats were embroidered. My $0.02 worth.
    Is it possible that the "boob" was quoting the sale price before your election of financing or rebate or leasing?
    Seat of the pants. Remember the one time you accidentally nailed the gas on the SSEi at a stop light? Does there seem to be a night and day
    difference with the V-8? My SSEi had gobs of low end torque. Does the GXP feel stronger? I did have the pulley up grade which probably made around 260 HP. I'm wondering if I might be disappointed? As for the GTO, I too had a 98 trans am. Can the goat be that much better? It sure wont look better. I'd probably choose the GTO just to have something different, but it looks kind of bland, has a limited gadget factor, and a 6.0 400 hp version is already in production overseas as the chevy SS, soon to be here as a 05. Check it at http://www.gmstars.com Good to see some action on this board again. Need to hear from Iceman. Perhaps Intense has installed a warp drive in his bonneville by now.
    Montanafan: Maybe that’s what he was saying, I don’t know. I didn’t pursue it. His words were, “Your price today is $35,640.” I just took that to mean he wasn’t as interested in selling the car as the others were, or he maybe thought I was a real pushover.

Ezrapon: SSEi vs. GXP stoplight performance. I haven’t done that with mine yet, but I did with the one I test drove awhile back. My sense is the GXP is a tad quicker, but not by much. Certainly not a night and day difference. Pontiac says the SSEi does 0-60 in 7.6 seconds, and the GXP does it in 6.8. Maybe my sense that the GXP is a little quicker is influenced by Pontiac’s pronouncement. I don’t know. We’ll know more if one of the car mags ever flogs a GXP. I imagine an SSEi with a pully upgrade, K&N, etc. would be a match. When I used to hang out at the drag track every Saturday, I could maybe feel the difference between a 7.6 and 6.8 car, but they both feel about the same to me today. Again, the V8 ear candy is what trips my trigger the most. I agree on the GTO—just doesn’t have the eye appeal yet. Needs hood scoops or something to jazz it up, a pipe on each side out the back, etc. The 400hp upgrade will help, but it needs to look more GTO-ish in my mind.
  • fgeorge2fgeorge2 Member Posts: 15
    Have you guys noticed any rust forming on the silver coated area of the brake rotors - near the hub? I've had my GXP for about 6 weeks and it seems that the coating is degrading over time (and car washes).
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Congrats to you three who are driving the long anticipated GXP. I saw the dark blue model with taupe interior sitting in front of our local dealer - it sure is sweet. That color combo is my personal favorite and I'd love to test drive that Northstar V-8 music sometime soon!

It's great to see Bonneville excitement back here again.
    I assume this is what you are referring to—the rust showing on the silver part of the rotor just inboard of the braking surface?

It is kind of unsightly looking, to be sure, as one looks through those 18” wheels. I don’t remember seeing rust there on my SSEi, but I also don’t think I ever paid that much attention. Maybe the SSEi wheels did a better job of hiding that part of the rotor? Or maybe that part of the rotor wasn’t painted silver? I see similar rust in that area on my wife’s GTP, and I park next to a new Mazda 6 and a new BMW 330i and they both have rust there, too. Not as noticeable, though, because that part of their rotors is not painted silver—both are kind of a dark grey. So it would seem that Pontiac’s choice of the silver paint is the culprit.
    Yes - but mine is worse. It started out like yours though.

Like you, I never paid much attention on either one of my SSEi's.

Perhaps I can post a picture in the next day or so.

Thanks for the pics.
    Bunky:

Here is the rust pattern on mine. Only 6 weeks on the road!

I checked my four-year-old SSEi and there is almost no rust to speak of. There must be something different about these GXP rotors. That just looks bad (sorry).
    Whoa! If that's what mine are going to look like pretty soon, I will take your photo and my car to the dealer and ask what the remedy is going to be. Something wrong somewhere! Especially since the SSEi rotors didn't seem to have that problem (I looked at the rotors yesterday on my former '03 SSEi, and there is some there, but like mlm4's SSEi, it is almost imperceptible). I was just at the dealer this morning to pick up the GM Performance Division badge that they owed me, but I didn't ask them to look at the rotors. Without having inspected the rust on mine closely yet, I'm guessing that it might be surface rust on top of the silver paint coming from the braking surface (which always forms some rust residue when washed). If so the solution might be rust removal and repaint with some kind of rust-resistant paint so that it just washes off. But the question is why is that much rust forming in the first place, when it doesn't seem to have formed on the SSEi rotors? I'm no metallurgist, but as mlm4 says, there must be something different about the GXP rotors.
    Thanks - I will be visiting my dealer soon as well. Perhaps we can trade info.
    I have noticed a small amount of rust as well(similar to Bunky's pic) but used some Never Dull cloth to take it off. It didn't work real well or easy since it's a tight squeeze between spokes! If you guys talk to your dealers, let me know what they say and I will be visiting mine as well to correct this problem. No offense to fgeoge2, but that is a lot of rust to be showing through the spokes! Your eyes are supposed to catch that pretty performance red caliper not orange rust! Has anyone found a chip or any aftermarket parts for these cars yet? I am having no luck at all, I guess they are still too new. I did take Bunky's advice and purchased the performance Zaino kit. I am anxious to try it out but the weather will not cooperate.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Just bought my GXP and want to thank everyone who writes in. You folks helped convince me I needed this car since I already knew I wanted it! Anyway, I needed to add a long hauler to my "fleet" and decided after some 2-week research. Looked seriously at the Cadillac CTS and the GXP. I have always been a GM-man, and seemed partial to Oldsmobile, but have had Chevys, Buicks, and of course Pontiacs, including a 78 Grand Prix and an 87 Bonneville. I currently drive an 03 Aurora 4.0, a 96 LSS and 95 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I am replacing the Convertible with the new GXP that I ordered today. Crimson over Taupe, every option but the engine block heater. Found dealer over the GM Buypower page, and it was a pleasure to make the deal. Without rebate, saved almost $3500 off list. Thought that was fair.
    Bryan, did you qualify for the Olds Owner rebate? Or did you use it when you bought the '03? Since it was issued a few years ago, it is commonly forgotten from posts I read. I think you had to have bought new ('96-'01) and still owned the car when the end of Olds was announced (Dec '00 I think).
    Bryan: Congratulations on the GXP purchase! I think all of us on this board are car nuts to one degree or another, and most are long time GM owners. As Bonnevilles go, this is a good board to hang out on to stay in touch with what’s going on with the older and newer Bonnevilles. Keep an eye on your GXP’s rotors when you get it! Hopefully we'll have a remedy by then.

Blade: Since the LD8 Northstar that we have in our GXPs has been around for 10 years, there have probably been lots of mods made by various people over that amount of time. You might want to go to http://www.domesticperformance.com to see what they have to offer. That is a California company selling a lot of Cadillac engine performance parts—V6 Bonneville stuff, too. Some of it is pretty pricey, but they also custom build parts if they get enough committed buyers.
    For your reference, here is one of the rotors on my 2000 SSEi. The camera's flash actually makes what little rust that is there look worse than it really does in daylight. Mind you, this is a Florida car. Lots of moisture here.

Thanks for posting the pictures mlm4. This will help. I'm seeing my dealer on Wednesday to see what they will do for me. I'm guessing my rust problem is caused by improper coating thickness on the rotor area in question. I'm hoping you other GXP owners don't see this rapid acceleration of rust. Will advise further.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Thanks for the heads up on the Olds Owner rebate. I used it in '01 and helped a long-time friend get into an '01 Alero that was his first new car ever! Bought the Aurora at 0% financing February 28, '03. With the extended 5-year, 60,000 mile warranty, and the off the top discount from the dealer, it was hard to pass up. I really like the Northstar V8, and that's exactly what drew me to the new Bonneville GXP. I'm looking forward to taking delivery sometime in mid to late May.
    Guys:

Saw my dealer this morning. They are going to re-finish (repaint) all 4 rotors rather than replace them. It sounds like there may be a problem with the coating degrading over time. Although I'm without my car for 2 days, my dealer has supplied a rental, so I'm alright with that. I just hope that the fix turns out OK.
    after the extended drive, I found the steering to be heaveir than my SSEi and a whole lot more torque steer. The exhaust note was a bit of a disappointment, more European than American. The power was ok, but again not remarkable. The rest of the car was nice but too much like the old 2000 SSEi to justify the 38,000 MSRP. Pulled the trigger on an Infinity G 35 coupe the same day. Probably the biggest disappointment will be the guys on this board are much more interesting than the Infinity board.
    You’ll like the G35C. What color? I have a couple friends who have G35’s—one coupe and one sedan—both black. They both like them a lot. I used to sell Infinitis a few years ago (before the G-cars arrived). It’s a well engineered car. My only concern about Infiniti back then was the high cost of routine maintenance through the dealership. The offset was supposed to be the Infiniti loaner car, but I don’t think that was a sufficient offset to the cost. In any event, I seriously considered the G35C myself before I bought the ‘03 SSEi. I went for the SSEi because I was coming out of a string of 6 Trans Ams and was just ready for a change to a roomy but sporty sedan, and I liked all the SSEi electronic gadgetry, the Monsoon audio system, etc. But that coupe is a cool looking ride, no doubt.

You are right about the GXP’s power not being a quantum leap over the SSEI, but the power difference has been pretty noticeable to me. And I agree that the engine/exhaust sound is not as “American” as the raucous sounds of my former Trans Ams or some Mustangs I’ve heard, but it is to my ears clearly a familiar V8 sound, and when I punch it, it produces a nice, refined “rap.” Of course, if I ever get to missing my Trans Am sounds, I can always tweak the GXP exhaust a tad to make a little more noise, but I doubt that I’ll do that. I think Pontiac got it about right given the nature and character of the car. And on the GXP torque steer, maybe you got hold of one with a funky transaxle or something because mine exhibits almost none—less than my SSEi did. I was impressed with that on the first GXP I test drove. I was expecting something worse, but I concluded that the Northstar and the 4T80E transaxle combo must be a better match for the Bonneville than the supercharged V6 and 4T65E combo. I’m not an engineer by any stretch, but the torque steer difference between the two was slight but noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.