Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Ken:

Good to hear from you again- seems like only yesterday when we had that LITTLE meet at the Rockaway Mall in NJ.with our NEW 2000's.

Who knows- maybe Gm and Pontiac will still come out with a 2007 - 50th Anniv. Edition.

Good luck and all the best on your new STANG when she comes in.

Chuck.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Ken, that Mustang sounds fun. I've been drooling over them too. Too bad you've had to wait so long for yours -- down here in Central Florida the '05 V6 Mustangs are in good supply. Several dealers have 20 or 30 of them (on their lots or in transit), according to the Ford inventory search web site. It's the GTs that are scarce, but available.

It doesn't look like a 50th Anniversary Bonneville will ever happen, but it would be cool if they did a "Final 500" production run like Oldsmobile did.

P.S. My 2000 SSEi is finally paid off. It's mine! All mine! (I try not to think about all that interest and depreciation.) And it still has less than 18K on the clock! BTW, the other day it did something wierd -- I got a SECURITY fault light after starting it up. It went away when I shut down, unlocked with the remote and restarted. This was after it has not been started for about four weeks (I've been too busy to drive it). Strange. Other than that, she's running fine (vibration aside).
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Good to hear from you guys. I have to chuckle to think that a 5 year old SSEi has only 18K on it! Michael - you need to take a cross country road trip!!!!!

Chuck I do remember that Bonneville and Aurora meet and the guys we met there. I wonder what they are driving now! Hmmm both cars are now history.

I'm planning to have some fun with the new Stang - ordered a 5 spd stick and the popular 'My Color' instrument panel that allows you to customize the lighting colors. Those two features are what has held it up so long. With teens about to drive I decided a 300 hp GT and the insurance payments to match were just not viable. They'll have fun anyway and one even may end up taking this car to college in a couple years. We'll see.

As for eventual Bonneville replacement alternatives, for those of us who like this vehicle - I think the Buick LaCrosse and Lucerne may attract some attention but neither is very exciting. Grand Prix is more appealing to me but I've not driven a new model. The old generation had a very choppy drive. I actually like the new G6 and since it rides on the long wheelbase it may have the smooth Bonneville ride and more rear legroom than the Gr Prix. It's certainly not designed to replace Bonneville but it's piqued my interest. I might consider one in 2-3 years.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    Mim4, I would bring your 2000 Bonny to the dealer about that Security light, one day the car may strand you, sounds like either passkey 2 chip in your key is going bad or the transponder unit that reads it in the car is going bad.

I had the same thing happen to my 2002 GTP security light would flash once in a while then go away and finally one day at work at 5pm... the car started then shut off after 10 seconds with security light flashing and had to have it towed. The car thought it was the wrong key. the dealer had to put a new passkey transponder unit in the dash and replace both my keys.. I had to argue to get 2 new keys, they only wanted to give me 1. Ever since then fine....
    tpken,

the previous generation 1997 to 2003 Grand Prix does NOT have a "very choppy ride" I have had both a 1997 GTP and now currently a 2002 GTP. The ride is stiff there is no doubt, but then again so is my I30t. Could have been a suspension problem, tires or the road you drove the GP on. Many times it's the road. On the best paved roads, my 2002 GTP rides very smooth.

Mine is not stock, lowered 1 inch with fatter P245 50 16 tires vs stock P225 60 16. Also have the strut tower braces front and rear.

I like the new 2005 Mustang, may consider one, but ONLY the V8. $25k it's a lot of engine. Only negative is that it's much smaller then my GTP coupe and higher insurance. Not really drivable in snow from Rear drive. Nice car..
    Gunit - The GP comparison I was using belonged to my carpool buddy. He had a 98 GTP that was fine on the highway as you suggest but on nearly all secondary roads the suspension was very 'stiff' or 'harsh' compared to the ride in my Bonneville over those same roads. Granted my SE model suspension is tuned for more smoothness than crisp handling as in an SSEi, GTP or reportedly the GXP which I have not yet had the pleasure to drive. BTW - at 118K miles, my Bonneville rides as smoothly now as it did 100K miles ago. During those intervening years I did have vibration problems which eventually were rectified with a new engine mount and new Michelins.

The ride of my new Mustang (whenever it arrives) will be much stiffer than the Bonneville but these are very different cars. It's not quite as stiff as the GT model but close from my perspective. The handling even on the V6 is quite crisp although the tires are reportedly a decidedly limiting factor. With my cost under $20K and with reasonable insurance payments for a fun car, I'm not complaining!
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I'm pretty sure the Bonneville has PassKey III. Still if it happens again I'll take it in. Hopefully it will throw a code for them to see.

My car came with four keys, two regular and two valet. It would stink if I had to pay for four new keys too (not that I need all four but that's the complete set).
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    I agree also with the open road- my 98 Bonneville SSE and 2003 Grand Prix GT both ride very smooth over good roads- but in my 2003 GT, you feel the

imperfections in the secondary roads more than in the Bonneville.

Where the Grand Prix excels over the Bonneville is in the handling of turns and curves- it HOLDS the road much better than my Bonneville ever could.
    My 2002 GTP has the Pass Key 3 module, not sure on your 2000 Bonny. Either PK2 or PK3. My car did give me some warning just like yours, occasionally the Security light would flash or stay on then go off, or act fine. I kind of ignored it, my fault. Finally that one day at work at 5pm.. started and ran for 10 seconds then crapped out and wouldn't start again. Boy that stunk. In my case they claimed the transponder Passkey 3 module in my dash was bad and both keys had to be replaced. For me it was FREE under the 3yr 36k warranty. No cost!! In fact I made them give me a loaner car, Sunfire, since they had to hold my car overnight.

The only argument was on the keys, they only wanted to give me 1, which was ridiculous since I got 2 when I bought the car. Finally they gave in and gave me 2 keys.
    tpken, My 1995 V8 Aurora was one of the best highway riding cars I ever had. I traded it in 2000, too many problems. Boy do I miss that nice ride. My GTP rides much rougher.. but is also more fun to drive/handling.

C&D said the new stock V6 Mustang was limited by it's P215 tires. A .78 skidpad, not bad. About the same as a Grand Prix GT. Put fatter-better tires on it and it will handle better. Good luck with it, those are nice cars. I love that late 1960's look!! I may look for a V8 mustang.. Nice pricing...

I believe they ride on the Lincoln LS, Tbird, Jaguar S type chassis?

First new Chassis for the mustang since 1977 or 1978, LOL!
    Tpken,

I only paid $23k for my 2002 GTP fully loaded in Sept. 2002. MSRP was almost $29k. HUD, leather, sunroof, chromed wheels, BOSE, fully loaded. It was a leftover as the 2003 were just coming out and I got the GM $3k rebate. I got a GREAT deal.

Insurance for me is very cheap on the GTP, only $750 a year, full coverage, $500k.

A mustang or Camaro are 20% to 25% more then GTP for me to insure when I got quotes. For me the Mustang-Camaro were NOT big enough.
    One other thing, when is the real performance 240 hp G6 "GTP" version coming out? 200hp V6 is adequate ok at 8 seconds.. It's not a performance car like GM's commercials keep trying to show. The similar competition from japan is 1+ seconds faster 0-60 and 40+ more hp.

My only other gripe with the G6 is the in my opinoni ugly back end. Sides and front are nice.

That seems to be a problem lately.. New 2004+ Grand Prix back end is on the ugly side too. 1997 to 2003 GP, GT-GTP back end was much nicer looking.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    New to board. First I heard about discontinue of the Bonneville. Anyone now the last build date ?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    June 16th, I believe.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    Recently took a road trip with 'my boys' to Philadelphia to see some history in my 2002 SE. I still can't believe my MPG. What they say is true concerning the O2 fuels. Going down to PA. using CT. gas with 10% ethenol straight highay I got 28.8. On the return trip home to HTFD using NJ. gas with a stop at Vally Forge and city driving I got 30.4 (no traffic, the gods were with me!) I still don't understand how burning more gas is cleaning the air? If any one knows please tell us.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    That's why I avoid ethanol gas here in Ohio like the plague. That's what I thought happens. It's hard to compare without multiple fillups though.

People in Ohio want to stop the E-Check where they have to have cars at least 3 years old checked every two years for $20 to help pollution in the summer ozone. Instead they'll have 'special blend' gas and pay more especially when the shortages happen that artificially run the price up on those 'blends' and then get less mileage!!! Sometimes people shoot themselves in the foot because they know so much.

To stay on topic, the cause in your Bonneville could be a higher vapor pressure winter blend from CT than you bought in a milder climate of Philadelphia.

You might ask this over in the fuels and additives discussion:
    Mr_Shiftright, "Fuel and Oil Additives" #282, 25 Feb 2005 6:50 pm

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ravenfiveravenfive Member Posts: 6
    I got so sick of seeing rust on my '04 GXP Rotors and the dealer telling me there is nothing they can do about it, so I took care of it myself.
    This weekend I was rotating my tires, so I bought some high-temp (1200 Degree) aluminum colored exhaust manifold paint and painted them. I just masked the rotor surface and calipers and spray-painted them. I only have about 300 miles on it since the painting, and I'm hoping it will hold up, but it looks a lot better than it did before. It even matches the rims pretty well. I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how to do it...

Joe
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Oxygenated gas used to reduce emissions in carburetor engines. Now that it all new cars have EFI, the presence of O2 in the exhaust makes the mixture richer, thus increasing consumption and emissions. But it's a topic that no politician would touch...
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    So, you painted the surface of the rotors where the pads make contact? In a way that kind of seems dangerous - like they would not work as well??

So GM knows there is the rust problem but has done nothing to correct it? I wonder if their is a service bulletin on them that the dealer did not know about or take the time to look up.
    Since alcohol in the fuels is a big part of oxygenated special blends it's hard to lobby against ADM's lobbyists pushing for anything increasing use of their alcohol production capacity.

I believe the car doesn't run as well after it has adjusted to the alcohol in the fuels. My 3800 didn't seem the same. I quit using any alcohol fuels. I don't even fuel up in Northern Kentucky which had gone to those for EPA requirements (without marking on the pumps that up to 10% alcohol was there).

I painted the area below where the pads contact the rotor and masked off the friction area so I wouldn't get any over-spray on it.
    I spoke with 2 different Pontiac Dealers and one Chevy Dealer, and they all told me that it is normal for rust to develop. Being in the Army, having rust on a new car is like having rust on your weapon...Wrong answer. I had thrown around the idea of replacing the rotors with high performance ones, but that would cost a heck of a lot more than a $6 can of spray paint.
    I haven't seen a TSB on the rust, but if anyone out there has seen one, please let me know...
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    You drive your car every day and still see rust? I don't think there is a TSB for this one. Rust is oxidation and the only way to get rid of it is to have a higher grade steel by adding chromium and nickle to the iron (to get a grade of stainless steel.) Sounds like GM cutting costs.
    I agree whole-heartedly - It was a cost-saving measure by GM. It is the best all-around car I've owned, but I have seen some other cost-cutting measures they have taken. (Wipers were replaced the second day I had it, some bolts were loose because they didn't spend a little extra to lock-tite them, front brakes squeak, as well as the rust on the rotors, etc.). I love the car, and for the first time am planning on keeping it more than 2 years, but these little faults do get on my nerves...
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    Driving through my local pontiac dealer on sunday, noticed they have $5000 discount written on the windshield on bonnevilles. I still think the GXP is a good looking car, but would still need several more thousand knocked off before considering.
    I have an 02 SLE...just wondering if anyone can comment on the differences in driving characteristics between the SLE 'vs' the GXP.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I purchased my '04 GXP in May '04--$5k rebate, $3K off sticker, and additional $1K certificate from GM, for total of $9k off. Unbelievable value for that money IMO.

I really like the exterior styling (no body cladding like other model Bonnys) and I am very pleased with the interior--seems top notch to me.

I've had the brake dust issue and noticed rust on the rotors after car has sat in the rain, but that disappears first brake application. I had a sunroof rattle that was addressed by my dealer first try. Car is very tight, and an absolute blast to drive. I'm getting an average of 20.4 mpg combo city/highway driving. I got close to 25 mpg on recent trip to Fla.
    Bryan: Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm not sure if the 5k off on the current models is a rebate or some combination of rebate and dealer discount. I may check this out and see what I can do on my 02 as a trade just for fun. Basically, the things I dislike about my 02 SLE is addressed by the GXP. I dislike the sound of the 3.8 V-6, and the cheap-looking cast alum tail pipe tips. A throaty V-8 does appeal. Your mileage is not far off from my V-6, my trip computer puts my average right at 21.8, but that is primarily in-town driving w/a few highway trips thrown-in.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    I think I got a great deal and the dealer was happy. I wrote the purchase order the Saturday before the car was delivered to the dealer, and finalized everything the following Friday after the car was prepped. Graystone metallic over the gray leather with all options except trunk CD changer and engine block heater. I did purchase the accessory kit so I could use the trunk-mounted air compressor to inflate my bicycle tires. When the neighbors saw what I was doing, I had a line forming in my driveway! Simply put, the car is a kick--it brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

I did test drive an '04 SLE before I purchased the GXP (no GXP on dealer's to drive at the time). The GXP is just a different feeling car to me--much tighter suspension, not as "floaty" if that's a word. You're right about the car's throaty growl--it's just awesome. Good luck with your search and keep us posted on your efforts and let us know how it goes.
  • fyreball1fyreball1 Member Posts: 2
    some lights in my dash are dim or out alltogeter.(head up display brite control out.tone control bottons on stero are dim. half of headlight delay is out).OBCESSED with the way this black beauty looks.are these L.E.D. HELP ME!!!
    I've got one out too - the stereo controls on the right are not illuminated anymore. If pulling the dashboard apart is required to get at this I think we'll just live with the problem but it is annoying.
  • my70monacomy70monaco Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with my 2002 SE. Very annoying at night and possibly dangerous. If you want to change climate or radio settings at night, you have to turn on overhead courtesy lamp to see the controls and that takes concentration away from driving the car. I was told that the lights are not bulbs but modules - probably expensive too. Anyone know for sure and has anyone changed them?

Frank
  • fyreball1fyreball1 Member Posts: 2
    So I got tired of some of my dash lights being out in my 2000-SSEI.Sooo I felt it was time to do something.Went to the dealer and they said gosh dunno if they are bulbs or l.e.d. but we would be happy to replace the lighted switch itself for oh lets see HUNDREDS OF DOLLORS!!! With the courage that only the threat of spending lots of money gives you.I decided to look for myself. (1) heated seat switch out on center console.So i lifted up the top of the console were the rear of it butts to the cup holder.Lifted up no problem I could get to switch pulled off 6 pin connecter.switch held in by 1 hex screw out she comes With switch in hand i see that the bottom of the plastic houseing can be reoved by inserting a small screwdriver.out comes a circut board with 2 light bulbs (soulderd in) with confidence soaring by now I heat up my seldom used souldering iron.On backside of the board i see were the 2 pins of the bulb poke through and touch with iron. The bulb pulles rite out.Went to Radio Shack found out it was a 12 VOLT- 50mA Bi-Pin bulb. PART #272-1154 cost-$1.50 bought all they had.Ran back to reassemble. Pins of new bulb easly went through holes in board old one came out of touched bottom of pin with iron and soulder and stuck she was.Put switch back togeter and with a quick prayer to the automotive God's turned on lights WOW!! it works.So on to the dash mounted Head -up display switch It came out of the face of the dash as a module without takeing dash apart.Again the plastic housing comes apart and replaced bulbs on board as before. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!.I AM A COMPLETE HACK. If you have questions e-mail me at fyreball66@aol.com.
    Thanks for the info, fyreball66aol.com . I will take my dash apart and try replacing the bulbs myself also. GOOD THINKING ON YOUR PART!

Frank
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Reminder - please do not post your email address in messages. We like to keep the discussions here. Don't ask people to email you - let's keep the discussions here. Further postings like this will be deleted.
    Looking fwd to seeing how you make out there My70Monaco. BTW - I remember that 70 Monaco - what a yacht that was! Cousin had a big green 4 door hardtop. I thought it was a great looking car.
    Thanks tpken. Where did you see my 70 Monaco? A true 4 wheeled aircraft carrier!
    But far less complicated than my Bonneville.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    :shades:

My father is selling his prized '88 Bonny SSE, a one-owner garage kept cremepuff with 73k miles and a new paint job (those '80's paint jobs were not good). The blue book and Edmonds says selling priviately we might get $2000, but it is so clean, straight, no rust, no smoking, etc I was wondering if someone had an idea as to what this car would bring on the market? I was thinking of $3500, as it has no issues except the tape player isn't working well and the headliner had to be pinned up. It has good tires, brakes, a/c and my father is a nut for maintenance so it has had mobil 1 and all the goodies its whole life. Anyone care to give an opinion?

Thanks, DD
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Also hop over to the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask Terry. Be sure to read the posting guidelines (in red) so you can give him all the info he'll need to tell you what it's worth.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Thanks, I did post over there. Got an offer for $2500 which isn't terrible, given the age of the car and considering how hosed we'd be if we traded it in somewhere. Will evaluate with Pops this weekend.

Dd
  • richrichrichrich Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how to take out the instrument cluster in a 93 bonneville. I want to install and new cluster check it out.link title
  • callawratcallawrat Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1995 Pont Bonnie and ive rebuilt the top half just to have the main bearings give me trouble so now im looking to just drop in another motor but i cannot seem to find a series 2 3.8 anywhere but ive seen bunch of 3800 (belive series 1 ) but i just dont know what the difference is, any info on this would be appreciated email me if you could thanks in advance :confuse:
  • funnybunnyfunnybunny Member Posts: 5
    What possible negative ramification or consequence could result from him telling us how much the car was discounted ? Are you worried they may not give him such a good deal next time? Do you think they may not give us such a good deal since " the secret is out, we're selling them too cheap".? I really didn't even understand the explanation. If you think you are getting a better deal than anyone else on a Pontiac, you really need to face the fact that you have an excellent salesman who specializes in making you fell like you did well. EVERYONE DOES WELL . I paid invoice for my 2000 SLE and got 0% interest for 60 months, and probably could have done better if I hadn't been thinking to myself, " Geez, I am so lucky that I got this great deal".
    My local pontiac dealer (salesperson) told me that production has already stopped on the bonneville. I thought it was more like the July time frame....anyone know if this is true?
    Still like the looks of this car (GXP) but the price is just too up there. IMO that is what has killed this car (or contributed to it's demise).
  • freddy111freddy111 Member Posts: 5
    Hello. I have a 1996 Bonnevelle SSE. Since I've owned it, it runs hot. Is this common for this car. The Dealership said it is. Also the tranny shifts very poorly. I find it difficult to find any type of performance parts. There are alot of performance chips or modules on Ebay for $10 to $40. How good are these. I appreciate any information. Thanks
  • smitty6smitty6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 97 bonnie with the 3800 series II V6 with 92k for $3500. My sister has a 96 Olds 88 and she gave it high praise. My wife became pregnant so it was time to ditch her 2 door 91 grand am(147k) and add a family car next to our beloved 88 formula 350 firebird(77k mint cond a few upgrades). This bonneville has turned out to be a nightmare. After 1 month the transmission went ($1550). Then an altanator($230), 2 weeks later the starter($270). Two weeks later the intake manifold cracked. Three weeks later the raditor went($230). Two weeks later the AC system started blowing warm air, the whole system needs replacing at a cost of $980(held off on this one). Then the fuel pump went ($170). The motor mounts broke loose ($210). THe raditior fan stopped working so the engine overheated (another tow). The windshield wiper motor died, of course in a downpour, thank god for rain-x($115)The original strut on the drivers side came loose at 70mph and doing some damage to the front end($470) A few months later I"ve replaced the entire brake system and there was a problem with the abs system($480),the power seat on the driver side broke (being my wife was pregant and I'm not very tall I couldnt drive comfortly or safely)($185) not to mention the numourous tows and jumpstarts at $50 to $125 a pop, a full exaust including the cat conveter and a broken exaust manifold on the drivers side($625). A few minor things as well, the hood latch cable at the handle broke twice, (of course the first time is when the altanotor died and killed the battery so I couldn't get a jump and had to be towed)the glove box door latch broke, (I can't open the glove box so when I got pulled over for a headlight being out I couldn't retrieve my documents, that cost me $265 in fines with the tickets the nice and understanding officer gave me), two of the fan knobs keep falling off, the radio stopped working, the headliner is falling down, the cruise control stopped working, the foglights flicker on and off, the abs and airbag and check engine lights on the dash flicker on and off(sometimes all three on at all the same time), I've replace the third brake light bulb 4 times, 3 headlight bulbs, the power trunk release stopped working, the horn won't work and it could be any number of things none of which will probaly be cheap to fix with my luck I'm sure(my inspection is due soon so it has to be fixed not to mention the few times someone has almost backed into me in a parking lot and I've had to speed around them when I could), and the worst, I've had a nagging electrical problem for two months now. Something keeps draining my battery down. My mechanic (who my family has been using for over 40 years including now his three sons in a very modern shop with all the newest stuff) He replaced the battery cables, the battery the wires to the altanator and even a new free altanotor just in case. every time he scans the systym everything checks out fine. He has talked to some of his mechanic friends and his car club buddies and a few of them even spent a sunday of there time working on my bonnie and no one could find the problem.They told me they tested everything electrical and spent some of there own money on parts. They said with an intermedite electrical problem that can't be duplicated when everything scans fine it's very diffciult to fix unless others have had similiar problems. They tried a few common sense things but nothing has worked. When the lights are on or sometimes when not on, sometimes my volt meter drops between low and high and the lights fluxate. When I make turns, the meter drops. Sometimes it takes 4-5 turns for the car to start. I turn the key and nothing. I've been stranded three times when the car won't start and it won't take a jump because the battery is so low. The volt meter doesn't give any warning. I'm afraid to take the car anywhere.I've finally had it with this car, its a complete piece of crap. The car now has 132k on it. I'm sure not all bonnevilles are like mine, I've only owned GM cars since I've been driving for over 15 years now. But the general really let me down on this one. I can honestly say I haven't always had good luck with GM cars but thats what I've been raised on and thats just what I've been used to, but nothing ever like this, a few minor things I can live with. My mechanic sent me to a friend of his who owns a new car dealership(its a chevy, pontiac and gmc) (he's in his car club). He was real nice and honest with me and my wife.He knew we were on a tight budget (the bonneville killed us). We didn't really want a car payment but we figured it had to cheaper and more relaible in the long run.He and one of his salespeople showed us a 99 malibu V6, 00 grand prix gt 3800 II, 01 century, 01 impala LS(same 3800 series II), 00 olds intrigue and my wife liked the blue color of an 00 honda accord V6,her sister has a civic(a riceburner, never I thought, I do have friends who have [non-permissible content removed] cars and they sware by them but I always defended USA cars!!) All with less than 40k. Well let me say, after we drove the cars we liked (I thought we'd be taking home the impala or the grand prix GT) the honda (made in the USA he told us) blew the others away. It was whisper quiet, tight, comfy, controls easy to use and well placed without that GM plastic look everywhere(I quess I just got used to it). steering precise,engine and transmission smooth as butter, a moonroof(not a sunroof, he showed me the difference) brakes awsome, very good attention to detail I was hooked. I never thought I would buy a [non-permissible content removed] car but it was everything I wished GM would make. My friends still tease me.(But I still blow there doors off in my firebird). Hope you guys have better luck with your bonnevilles than I did mine.
    Does this alleged car mechanic or friends also have so line feeds for paragraphs for this 'article'? So you drove the car 40K with all these problems?

Did you think that, if all this is true, you might have been better to have a good dealer who was knowledgeable about electrical quirks to fix the car. It sounds like the 'mechanic friend' wasn't really doing you any favors with his lack of knowledge.

As a real mechanic on talk radio suggests, start looking for grounding problems.

• batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    It was a mistake buying a vehicle with that many miles on it. I wouldn't recommend purchasing a used car that is older than 2 years and make sure it has less than 30K miles. The original owner was sure lucky to get rid of his/her car when they did with the amount of money you spent.
  • genmtrfangenmtrfan Member Posts: 78
    It's hard to believe you had that many problems. I bought a 97 bonneville 2 1/2 years ago with 70,000 miles for $6,800. When I bought the car it had something wrong with the transmission, but I didn't realize it until my first long trip. I spent about $1,400 on a transmission re-build. I also bought the car with a leaky intake manifold and had that repaired for $600. Those two problems (common to many Bonnevilles) are the only ones I've had. I've driven the car 80,000 miles and my cruise, alternator, starter, battery cables, power seats, fuel pump and brake system are all original. I invested $8,800 (including initial repairs) in a car that has given me 80,000 trouble-free miles. No one can predict the future, but I just put a new set of 50,000 mile tires that I'm hoping to wear out.
    If you've changed oil and filters at 3000 to 4000 miles, you're set for 200K plus. The intake leaks and at worst a trans are what you'd look for. You've done a transmission. Have you changed your DexCool every two years? Corrosion or crudded up radiator that you have to change out might be another possibility to happen which I believe comes as a maintenance item more than a failure. Might change power steering fluid.

I have changed the Dex-Cool recently, as well as the plugs and wires. I hope you're right about 200K. I just invested in a new Chevy Uplander, so I really need to get 2 more years out of this one.

I'm not sure I'm buying the Dex-Cool argument. The radiator on the Bonneville is original at 152K. If Dex Cool is so bad, why does GM advertise that you can leave it in up to 5 years or 150K? I admit, I haven't read the lawsuit pages, but I have had two vehicles with it. Could the Dex-Cool be contributing to the intake gasket issues? I've read that the intake issues were caused by other issues that have been resolved in GM's 3.8 and 3.4 engines.
    Thanks for the information. My Bonneville had Dexcool from the beginning, so I never had the green stuff. I changed the fluid myself as well. I had my intake manifold changed in '03 and the problem has not recurred. However, I had a leak near the freeze plug and used a 5 dollar can of stop leak to cure that issue. It still seeps out every now and then, but not enough for concern.

I have been checking this forum and haven't seen any complaints about the intake after 2002. It's probably safe to buy one after '02, but I'm resigned to getting a supercharged next time with the metal intake.
This discussion has been closed.