Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....via con automovil de seguridad.....

CU later, Silver (we'll miss you and your 2k around these threads.......ez
  • artbcpaartbcpa Member Posts: 4
    To silversolara - Thanks for your suggestion to try another dealership - and I did - with virtually the same result. They even wanted to charge me $300 UP FRONT before they would give me an estimate in writing to repair the car.

So I hired an independent appraiser. He found the damage to be much less than the dealerships were alluding to and offered me $11,700 in cash for the car as is (compared to their $4,000). Two Toyota dealerships tried to rip me off. Now Toyota has lost a long time customer.

Together with my insurance proceeds I came out nearly whole and I am now the proud owner of a new Honda Accord Hybrid.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Congrats! We look forward to hearing about your ownership experiences in the Honda Accord Hybrid 2005 discussion.
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    My wife and I just returned from dinner in a small NH town and took the back roads there and back. I was very pleased at how the convertible (2005 SLE) handled the extensive frost heaves. In spite of reports to the contrary, there was no cowl shake and the ride was very comfortable and secure.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Silversolara - sorry to see you go but I know you'll get a charge out of the WRX - the car is a blast to drive. Congrats on the new car.
  • solara2001solara2001 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a problem with the silver paint on the grill peeling off? I've seen other Solaras driving around with the same problem. Mine is a 2001 SE V6. Does anyone know of a solution? I'm guessing I'll need to replace the whole thing, anyone know what that might cost me?
    Thanks.
    ...on your grill (2k DWP SE-V6 stick here) but mine is intact so far..........

...however, the three right hand radio preset buttons on the JBL single disc/AM-FM/Cassette optional unit are suddenly dead............does this sound (1) like something simple......like a fuse? or (2) a visit to a car stereo gun and mask scene..............

....other wise, the car is fine: 26-27 around town; at least 30 on CA freeways......ez
  • miltmilt Member Posts: 14
    Time to replace the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires. I am considering the same Michelin tires, partially due to having a full sized spare and I could use the spare and only have to buy 3 new tires. The other choices based on the reviews on Tire Rack are Bridgestone Turanza LS-H, Goodyear Comfor Tread or Triple Tread. Could you give me the pro's and cons of these choices. I switch to winter tires and value a quiet, smooth ride with good gas mileage over performance type driving.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    When I picked up my new 2004 Solara, the front license plate was mounted by someone drilling two holes in the front bumper (the plastic removed by the two screws was still sticking out). I'd sure like to find a solid license plate bracket to put on before a car wash rips the license plate off.

Anybody?
  • solara99solara99 Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks, Im new to this forum and I wanted to tell all of you who can appreciate it about my brand new used car! I got a 99 Solara SLEV6 with only 44,000 miles on it. Its green with black leather interior and I just love it so far! I've put 400 miles on it and it runs unbelievable. I cant believe how much power this little car can deliver. It handles great too and is so far nuthin but fun to drive. I hope I have good luck with it, for me this is as good as it can get cause I'll never see the day I can afford 22,000 for a new one but thats ok, for me like I said, this is my brand new used car!
  • solara99solara99 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah they did that to my 99 too. I didnt even need a plate on it, (In PA you dont need plates on the front) Dang if they didnt drill 2 holes in the front bumper to put their ad plate on the front! I removed it and now I got 2 holes there till I find something worthy to put on the front!
    Milt - did the same thing just last year on wife's '99 Solara SLE. We also run winters so can use a pure summer tire for rest of year. We had the same Michelins and replaced them with 4 Yokohoma Avid H4s tires. I like the Yokos a lot better than the Michelins and they ride better IMO than the Michelins. I wasn't that impressed with the Michelins.
  • lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    If you are considering a Solara Convertible, go for the 2006. Toyota corrected one major problem, visibility out the rear window. They made the headrests smaller, which greatly improved the problem. The 2006 also has the two stage airbags. They also eliminated the red wood trim. It is now brown. I picked mine up on Saturday in PA. Drove the turnpike back to Phila. and got 34.1 miles per gallon, while I kept changing my speed for break-in purposes. It is rated for 29.0 on the highway. This is with the 3.3 V6.
    Toyota makes a front license plate bracket. It is supposed to be screwed into the two dimples in the front bumper. Cars that go to dealers in States that only use rear plates, are not shipped with the bracket. You should force the dealer to provide it, if you live in a different State that requires front and rear plates. I just bought a new 2006 in PA. Since they only have 1 plate in the rear, and I live in NJ, which uses front and rear, I made the dealer provide me with the bracket, which he had to order from Toyota parts. By the way, the pricing for the front bracket is $13.29 plus tax.
    Try a US Flag.
    Its not used, just previously owned!!!
    Do you have the Factory Bridgestone Turanza tires, or some other brand?
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    We put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS 50's for our NH winters.

Spencer
  • breyerchickbreyerchick Member Posts: 3
    This will be my first post to this forum but i had to reply to at least part of your question.

First, I preface this by stating that I live in FL so I can't comment on winter driving

Second, My first Solara was a 2002 Solara SLE convertible (Flame Red) that I bought brand new from a local dealer. I loved that car. The only defect I ever had was a little glitch in the top where I had to pull the left side down with my hand to get a proper seal. When I traded it in it had 46K on it and ran perfectly.

I traded the '02 in on an '05 Solara SLE convertible this past February. Of course the top was down during the test drive. It was a nice car and features were nicely up-dated. But......

Visibility is greatly reduced from the 02/03 version. The car pulled to the right and I couldn't read the radio/temp gauges with the top down. I found that I just didn't like or feel as safe in the 2005 as I did the 2002 at highway speeds. The steering is not as tight or nimble in the newer version either. There is too much body roll. Plus I just ended up hating the color, Cosmic Blue Metallic. I'm a red car person at heart.

I took a 4K loss this past Monday when I traded the 2005 back in and bought me another 2002 SLE convertible in Flame Red. I don't care. This one is a keeper.

I've heard that the 2006 model addresses the blind spot 'issues' IMO I would look into that model year or buy and older one.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    The dealer claims that the bracket is not a standard item, so I bought one for about $13.00. Installation was a 2 minute job and it will keep the plate from being torn off in the car wash.

I still think it is strange that it is not a standard item, but it was not worth an argument with the service writer.
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 6
    I noticed that there has been a mid - year change to the 4-cylinder Solara - it now has a 5-speed automatic transmission rather than a 4 speed. The highway gas mileage estimate has now been changed from 32 to 33. However, it still lists the horsepower at 157. Does anybody know if the "official" 2006 Solara coming in September will have the increased horsepower (160) that the 2005 Camry was upgraded to?

Thanks in advance.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I went to my local dealer to drive a 05 V6 to see if the throttle lag had been fixed (i drove a 05 V6 Camry and it was fine)but they were out of stock and won't be seeing any untill next shipment in 3 weeks wich will be 06 models.As soon as they arrive i will drive one to check for any improvments on the drive by wire lag that plagues the Solara and will report on this thread.
    I just noticed that the 4-cylinder Solara's (2005 1/2?) now have a 5-speed automatic transmission instead of 4-speed (see Toyota's web site, and I've seen them on the lot).

Does anybody know if the "official" 2006 4-cylinder Solara (coming out in the fall) horsepower will be increased to that of the 4-cylinder Camry? Right now the Solara is 157 HP and the Camry is 160 HP. I am just wondering if they will have the same exact engines in them.

Thanks!
  • nicolemnicolem Member Posts: 5
    Any comments on the windscreen?

Is it quick to take off if you need to use the backseat for passengers? With the windscreen in place, can I still put items in the backseat such as briefcase, etc. or is access completely restricted?

I never thought they made much difference, but saw a few posts here indicating otherwise... Is sounds like the car my dealer was able to locate with the color and options I am looking for includes this, as well.

Thanks!
  • hfpieratthfpieratt Member Posts: 11
    What's 3 HP? The loss could be from the hood creating slightly different flow of air into the intake. In 1994 Chevy had the new Impala SS rated at 265 HP with the same motor that put out 300 in the Camaro and it was due to altered routing of the air intake. My point is you probably won't notice anything with a 3 HP difference. Now the 5-speed auto is a huge upgrade. Came from the 4Runner so it should be plenty stout and improved mileage too!

Oh, if you want HP don't look to get it from the 4. It's better to start with something that already has some horsepower to begin with, ie the 6 cylinder. Back in KY we would say, "You can't polish a turd." Nowadays it may be more PC to say, "There is no replacement for displacement." If you look at the MPG the 6 is only down by 3MPG. If you can't afford it right now then it's better to wait and get exactly what you want. Blah Blah!
  • eviloliveevilolive Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any trouble finding a Solara with the curtain side airbag option? I've had 2 local dealers tell me they can't locate an SE with curtain side airbags anywhere in my state or several surrounding states.

Am I the only one who cares about curtain side airbags? It's only a $400 option, so i was surprised I couldn't find one that had had it added.
    I live in TX now and noone here seems to get ABS, traction control, or air bags. All things I would think are desirable, even without snow, but I guess when left up to the customers most didn't pick those things. Looks like one has to get a car or trim level where those things come standard.
  • jsvanguyjsvanguy Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2004 Solara SE Sport that has the V6 engine. After 4000 miles, I am only getting 17-18 mpg with a mix of driving on the sideroads and freeways here in town. Have not had a chance to take a long roadtrip yet.

What are others getting for MPG on this model?
    I think you're right about the 3 hp not making much of a difference. However, I don't agree that it's from the hood design or air intake, because the Camry prior to 2005 had the same exact hp at the same RPM's and now it's 160 HP at different RPM's. And I agree with you about the 5 speed auto.

However, power is relative. Right now I own a 1998 4-cylinder Camry rated at 133 hp - obviously underpowered and sluggish. My mom got a 2002 Camry with the upgraded 157 HP 4-cylinder and it's like a rocket compared to mine. I'm sure that if you've been driving powerful 6 cylinders the 4-cylinder 157 HP will seem very sluggish, but to me, it's more than enough power - I mostly drive it by myself or with one other person. And besides, the 3 or 4 mpg difference adds up for someone who doesn't make a fortune, especially at today's gas prices having to drive long distances to and from work.

So again, it's all relative to your "power" orientation.
  • oxmeadoxmead Member Posts: 79
    My 2004 SLE V6 mileage has never been less than 24 in mixed driving and has been as high as 35 hiway. Something tells me you like that sound when you stomp on the pedal.
  • nicolemnicolem Member Posts: 5
    I've only had the car 48 hours (SE V6), but mine is around 27.5 mpg. So far I've driven approximately 250 miles - mostly highway.
    Hmmm...typically anyone who is concerned over HP is interested in going faster than they currently do. So I figured you were in the same category. If you ever do decide that you want to go faster by yourself or with one other person and you would like to keep high MPG then may I recommend a motorcycle. Nothing on 4 wheels is as quick (acceleration) gets better gas mileage or costs as little as a motorcycle.

About the 157 HP being more than enough for you, I'd say you're exactly right. When I drove a 4-cylinder Tacoma a few weeks ago I noticed it would be perfectly adequate for any and all driving conditions, and in this case 3-HP will definitely not be noticed.
  • orrjorrj Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with the grill peeling on my 2001 solara convertible. I saw the dealer today and we are suppose to talk to a rep about having it fixed. How did you make out with your repair? Did they cover it, or how much did it cost?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congratulations on your new car! I hope you'll also post in the Solara: Prices Paid and Buying Experiences discussion to help out folks who are considering buying a Solara.

Claire

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    We called around to all of the Florida Toyota dealers and they said that they are no longer bringing in the Solara 4 cylinder stick shift into the Southeast states. Automatic transmission only.

Where can we find a new Solara with the 5 speed manual transmission???
  • jsvanguyjsvanguy Member Posts: 14
    Just to correct my previous post, I have a 2005 Solora Sport, not the 2004. Sounds like others here are getting much better than my 17-18 mpg in mixed driving. Is this something the dealer can easily troubleshoot and correct?
    ..that IS sad... I have the six....which really squeezes every drop of regular.....

..the 4-cyl with manual should provide outstanding fuel efficiency. Hang in there.

best, ez
  • solara2001solara2001 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't had the grill fixed yet. I'm waiting for it to get a little worse before I do anything about it. My car's warranty is up, so I'm not expecting the dealership to cover the repair. Was your dealership able to come up with a good fix for you?
  • 05solara05solara Member Posts: 1
    Have you gotten any luck on the programming? I wonder whether you have any information about the programming on the transponer key for 2005 Solara?
  • jairossjaiross Member Posts: 1
    I must admit I haven't read earlier threads re: the Solara BUT looking at this one gives me flashbacks of the reason i traded my beautiful red 1999 Solara so soon (2003 I purchased a camry). I had to replace all 4 tires on my Solara at 30,000 miles because of the unusual wear on the tread. I had my tires rotated a couple of times before that and each time I was told I probably needed to get regular alignments... I don't remember feeling a pull to the left but I do remember everyone commenting on my tire wear. I had other problems with my '99 as well. Starting with the battery dieing at about 10,000k and the final straw was when the water pump went out leaving me stranded on the highway (in 2002) & costing over $500 to replace & repair the residual damage. Toyota eventually reimbursed me for the cost of towing & repair but I decided it was time to let that car go! I have a 2003 Camry now ~ with no problems. Since Toyota has such a great reputation for making reliable cars I thought maybe the problems were "brand new model" issues and by now they'd have all the kinks worked out... what are newer model owners having to say about the Solara?
    Don't know about newer Solaras; but wife's '99 SLE V6, which we have had since new, is going strong and has never caused any trouble. We have done all the scheduled maintenance and replaced the tires (mostly because we didn't like the OEM tires it came with).
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    Did anyone purchase the VIP Security System (RS3200 Plus) option for the '04-'06 Solara? Do you know what features it comes with on top of what's already standard (engine immobilizer, remote lock/unlock - trunk release - panic button) on the Solara?
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    I've heard that there is a software update to minimize the transmission hesitation on 2004 and 2005 5-gear Auto models. It's for both Lexus and Toyota models. Has anyone had this update on their car yet? Have you noticed any improvement.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    It is my understanding that this upgrade is only available for the Lexus models right now (see http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef14656/724 for discussion of how it is working out).

Also, there is an "Engine Hesitation" forum here at Edmunds that includes good information on other models. "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)"

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jsandiegojsandiego Member Posts: 3
    I drive a 2004 sport and I was rcently rear ended by an SUV doing 30 mph! the first day it looked pretty bad, the rear bumber cover was pushed in and was popped out at the side. I popped the side back in place at the scene of the accident by hand, and by the time I got my estimate two days later, the bumper cover had pushed itself out and I was only left with a scratch in the paint. Im hoping that if I wait a couple more days the paint scratch will heal itself.LOL! By the way, the front end of the ford expedition that hit me looked like he slammed into a brick wall and was undriveable. GO TOYOTA!
  • sandwi54sandwi54 Member Posts: 1
    After months of driving my Solara V6 SE, I found out that the engine is a little weak when the AC is on, and even less powerful when the AC is turned on before the engine heats up enough. In addition, gearshift takes longer for some reason. Has any of you noticed the same problem?
  • bunner1bunner1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Solara SLE 3.0 which has an intermittent steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. Usually begins after a few miles on the highway, and can last up to 20 miles or more. If i pull over and stop, then reenter the road, often times it disappears. If braking is required during the vibration, the car pulsates badly. Items replaced to date are both front brake hoses, front brakes, left front rotor, and caliper, tires rotated and balanced, and four (4) wheel alignment. Before I continue to put money into this problem with no fix yet, any other ideas as to what may be causing this ?
  • whitetrash2775whitetrash2775 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a 01 Solara SE, its a 5spd with the 2.2 four. I really like the car alot, it doesnt have all the power in the world but hey it makes up for that with how good it is on gas. Me and the wife own a 03 Maxima SE and a 89 Pathfinder XE with lots of goodies, mostly in the off road kind, so its not the best on gas, I get about 12-14 mpg in it because of the 33's on it. But back to my Solara, I see alot of people talking about it pulling to the left, I havnt noticed it on mine at all, the suspension is a little soft but that can be fixed. I dont think I am gonna do alot of mods to it but hey you never know with me. Anybody done any mods to theres and if so wich ones? Im just trying to figure out wich mods the 2.2 will like the most. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and say I saw all these people talking about liking the Accord more but everybody and there grandmom owns accords around here along with those damn civics who think putting a intake and a coffe can muffler on it will make them run 11's on the track....LoL...anyway, I like to be different thats why I picked the Solara over the Accord, I looked at a Civic, Accord and a Solara, I test drove all of them, and I chose the Solara to be diferent, it can always be made quicker if I want. Sorry about the long post I tend to go on sometimes
    Welcome to the Forums, whitetrash2775, and congrats on the new ride :-)