Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Seems like the forum has been away from the SSEi modification discussions for at least a couple weeks now. What's happening? Haven't seen any Intense01 posts or any other reports of the kind. Has this thread moved to another forum or site?

I've been compiling a list of regular posters here and would like to fill in some blanks (perhaps others are interested in doing the same). It would be very much appreciated if everyone would post the following info:

Year, model, color, your first name if you wish to be identified. Hoping to hear from some of the less frequent as well as regular posters and maybe some lurkers will speak up as well.

Ken (00 SE Spruce Green)

FANTASCP - Chuck - Going back I see you have a white SE with bench - what interior color is it?

JAKEC1 - Did you find out anything about the carbon fiber dash? I have that charcoal gray interior and think it might be a great addition.
  • vtech83vtech83 Member Posts: 66
    First of all, Bonneville owners, an apology. I'm sort of a lurker in this forum since I do not actually own a Bonneville. Consider me a first cousin; I'm driving an '01 LeSabre Limited. But I thought most of you would enjoy this.

The other day, I came across a 300M and we were driving on a highway where the speed limit is 55, yet there are a few stop lights here and there. We were stopped at one and he decided to launch his car at the stop light when it went green. So, when we got to the next light, I figured it was time for a "spirited acceleration test".

Score the first one for General Motors. He pulled away quicker at the light, but once I hit second gear, it was all over. Next stop light, pretty much the same thing. I had to turn off at the next light, but I was totally satisfied with the tried and true 3800SII mated to the 4T65E.

One thing I've noticed about this setup is that if you hit your shift point just right, you come out of first gear right around 4000rpm. I think thats why this car moves so well in second and third gear -- it's right at the 3800 power band. Pretty impressive for old technology.

I agree with Ken -- where has this intense01 fellow been??? His stuff is great. He's the best R&D post in this column. Given me a few ideas I might try once the warrenty runs out.

Happy cruising, Bonneville owners. Hope you don't mind if I lurk from time to time. The LeSabre forum is pretty slow, but then, I expected it to be.

vtech83
    '01 Medium Red LeSabre Limited
    Gran Touring Package
    16" chrome wheels
    Good to see you Vtech! You're always welcome to post here - no apologies ever needed. We certainly share many commonalities with your car and experiences. BTW - great story - I bet that adrenaline was pumping! And thanks for the stats - you're on my 'Other cars of interest' list and I subscribe to your forum too - it's very much like the Grand Marquis / Crown Vic forum - pretty sleepy most of the time.

Have a great LeSabre weekend.

Ken
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I guess I'll be the first to respond. We have a light bronzemist 2000 SSEi. We ordered it so it has every available option right down to the engine block heater.
    When vtech mentioned the "old" 3800 Series II, I was just thinking the other day that as nice as this engine is and as tried and true as it is, it still is a 12 valve pushrod engine that is a derivative of the one GM made in the 60s, I would think that the 3.5l or 4.0L that are in the Auroras might be a better setup. Perhaps keep the 4.0L in the Aurora and put the 3.5L in the Bonneville, with a supercharger of course.

Mark
    It was pretty fun. The 300M was on my short list, but I felt that the LeSabre was a better overall buy. I figured I would sacrifice a little performance to get a much more solid, safer, and feature rich car. Well, I guess I didn't have to sacrifice the performance at all.

By the way ... you mentioned in an earlier post that you were going to check out the headroom in the LeSabre and compare it your Bonnie. A friend of mind at work has a 2000 SSEi with a sunroof. The headroom is identical. The power seat controls are the same in each car and both seats offer the same degree of movement.

If you get a chance to sit in a LeSabre, you'll know what I'm talking about.

You have a great weekend too.

vtech83
    Do you all have power lumbar adjustments in your front passenger seat as well as the driver one?? LeSabre only comes with power lumbar on the driver side.

Also, does the fold-down console in the rear seat have any type of flip-up storage compartment?? I thought I saw this in a picture recently.
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    I'm a 2000 Bonneville SSEi owner. I bought the car back in October and I absolutely love it! My previous car was a '99 Buick Regal GS and it had that great 3800 SC V6 so I knew the Bonnie would be great, too. Mine is Galaxy Silver and loaded execpt for heated seats (not often needed in Florida!).

So far, 0 problems and only one defect involving the headliner around the astroroof, which my dealer rectified immediatly.

My only complaints are a lack of a cruise control indicator, an obscured Driver's Info Center, and the fact that you must have the parking brake off in order to access the DIC. But, they're very minor and don't really affect the overall experience of the car.

One of my favorite features is the built-in air compressor in the trunk. Recently, I ran over some debris in the road at night and got a flat. I used one of those fix-a-flat cans and the air compressor to get back home. Excellent idea, Pontiac!

Well, I'll stop ranting now and just conclude that I look forward to many happy years with this great automobile.

Best Wishes
    The 2000/2001 SSEi does have power lumbar on the passenger seat as part of the option. And the rear seat center console has a compartment in addition to cupholders.

BTW: Great story with the 300M! I'm sure he was taken back by a LeSabre beating him!
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    did you order the grand touring suspension with the 3'05 axle ratio on your lesabre? with the 3:05 and the traction control off, you should blow away any 300M, including any stock SSEi (car and track stats). Before mods, by brother in law beat my ssei like a circus monkey. A pulley and a K&N set up later... he can't get close. I guess my sad story about tearing down the Chrysler plant killed the intrepid forum... pitty. Evidently Intense made enough mods to leave the planet. Actually I saw hin on the problem sight with some serious engine control problems. I still believe once you change heads cams headers etc., you'd probably do better off without the super charger and it's complexities.
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Dark Pewter Cloth

It goes pretty good with White- also its a good color if down the road i ever decided to re-paint the car a different color. - I did like the possibility of maybe going to the midnight blue metallic that SMFRAN has.- that car must look real SHARP!!!- but I wanted a WHITE BONNEVILE for a long time- so I'll stay pat for now- i'm happy!
    BTW- on emblems- on the 2000 SE- besides the rear trunk- BONNEVILLE- emblem and the
    name PONTIAC on the right side of the rear bumper- also on the left front headlight (on top)
    is the word BONNEVILLE.

V-tech- as I am no great lover of Chrysler, (you can check out my posts if you want on the
    INTREPRID VS BONNEVILLE Forum ) I found your episode with the 300M very refreshing to
    say the least!

Our second car is a 91 Buick Skylark- with a little Tech 4- engine- but a great little car-
    We had TWO 1991 Skylarks.- i traded mine in on the Bonneville in 2000- she had over 187,000 miles on her- The one we have now has around 110,000 miles and running great- i use her to commute back and forth to work- about 90 miles round trip each day-.

Just another reason (IN MY OPINION OF COURSE) why GM is better than Chrysler.

Have a Happy,

CHUCK
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Are you out there h? I was thinking of you as I was checking out my neighbor's new Vette. He sold his 2000 Camaro 6 speed and just got the Vette he always wanted. It is an amazing vehicle. I was thinking of you because I wish I could afford my SSEi and a Vette like you have. In addition to the Vette he has a Lexus SUV (his wife's) and a LeSabre. My fantasy is to have a selection of automobiles to choose from depending on the driving situation. Maybe someday.......
  • kenbidwellkenbidwell Member Posts: 10
    Read the posts daily, I just don't have a lot to say I guess. My 2000 SSEi is Black with Charcoal leather interior. It joined the family in March of 2000. I have done several modifications and have missed the lack of posting from intense01.
  • cuzinbruceycuzinbrucey Member Posts: 10
    Picked up my 2001 SSEi Wednesday night (in the rain) and I am loving the ride (graduated from a 94 Accord). The increased power is definitely going to my head!

It is dark bronzemist with the taupe interior.

I learned a valuable lesson though: NEVER pick up your new car at night. No matter what the lighting conditions are, you won't be able to properly check the vehicle out. While I got a great deal from the dealer, the interior was not as clean as it could be. I have a small spot of grease (maybe) just below the speaker in the passenger side door. Not sure how to clean it - I cannot tell if the inside door panels are leather or not (probably not). I don't want to guess wrong and make the spot worse than it already is.

I haven't tried to use the cup holders yet (no food or drink allowed in the *new* car - how long will it be before that rule wears off?)

Two very minor things I would change: between the steering wheel and my hand placement, I cannot see either of the odometers without craning my neck. And, as mentioned by someone else, I would like to use the DIC with the parking brake engaged.

But so far I am in heaven. Now I just have to find a baseball cap with the Pontiac emblem on it...

-Bruce in NJ (not the Boss)
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Please add me to the Bonneville database:

2000 SSEi Dark Bronzemist Metallic

I didn't realize so many folks liked hearing about my horsepower struggles. Here's an update, with only eight days left until National Trails Raceway opens:

I've bolted many aftermarket parts on the engine, but haven't yet been able to hit the perfect tuning combination. Although I did get a lot closer today.

My procedure has been basically trial and error. I make a small change, reset the PCM, and log two 0-100 mph runs in opposite directions on the same stretch of road. (My neighbors love me). Using the Autotap, I have been logging current time, vehicle speed, engine RPM, ignition timing, knock retard, fuel trims, MAF sensor frequency and flow rate, and front oxygen sensor voltage. I've checked many other parameters, but these seem to be the ones holding the keys to performance...

I've been doing lots of experimentation with spark plugs - trying different types - platinum, copper, iridium, etc., and different gaps. Today I learned that my car runs best with NGK TR55IX Iridium spark plugs set at the factory gap of .060".

I've done a lot of experimenting with different fuels - the higher the octane, the better the car performs. I settled on 108 octane VP racing fuel ($7.00 per gallon).

I've done a lot of experimenting with fuel pressures. At idle, and all the way up to around 3/4 throttle, the car seems to run best with the factory fuel pressure of 46 psi. I know they say the GTP's are set to 52 psi stock, but my SSEi was 46 psi. Anyways, at full boost (now 13 psi), I seem to need around 70 psi of fuel pressure for best performance. I see two solutions here. First, I can run the Casper's adjustable fuel pressure regulator at 57 psi, and this increases to 70 psi automatically under full boost. The problem with this choice is that the car smells like a '71 Catalina and runs WAY too rich all day long. The other choice is to use my brand new Vortech SFMU, which I am still trying to figure out how to adapt to the SSEi. It should allow me to run the factory setting of 46 psi static fuel pressure, and set the boost gain to 2:1. At 13 pounds of boost, I should have an additional 26 pounds of fuel pressure, or 72 psi - which I think will be just right. That would give me the best of both worlds - retain full driveability and mileage, and still melt the tires on command.

I can't seem to get enough ignition timing to make the car really perform the way I want it to. Under full boost, I only had 2 or 3 degrees of total timing advance a couple weeks ago. Racing fuel got me up around the 6 degree mark. Fuel pressure experimentation got me as high as 10 or 11 degrees, but I was actually running too rich and losing more power than I was gaining.

My next step is to back up one pulley size, and see if my ignition timing will increase enough to increase my horsepower more than the reduced boost will sacrifice power. The problem is that I broke my pulley puller/installation tool earlier tonight. So, right now I'm stuck with no pulley at all on the car. It is actually slower than a Chrysler 300M.

I have been measuring my performance using the Autotap, and using current time versus vehicle speed to determine actual performance. My best run today was 0 to 90 mph in 12.0 seconds. I think stock was around 15.9 seconds, so I was impressed.

Scott

p.s. - I think I am the only Bonneville owner who hasn't complained about the cupholders yet. For the record, I also think they suck.
    Yeah, they aren't great. I like them better than the ones on my Regal. At least these can hold my cell phone. Oh well...back to the drawing board!

Bruce,
    Congrats on your new Bonnie! Bronzemist was my favorite color, but I didn't like the taupe interior, so I settled on Galaxy Silver. As far as the cap goes, the Pontiac site probably has one. I got an insulated thermos and a keychain from them.

www.pontiacmall.com
    Thanks all, for providing the specs on your cars.

Hey there Cuzin Brucey - it's a great family here! Congrats on that gorgeous SSEi - I love that color combo. Best wishes to you for many years and miles of satisfying driving in your new Bonneville.

Intense01 - glad to see those modification reports again - got to get myself a car mechanics primer and try to figure out what you're talking about! But $7 per gallon for fuel? Out of my league for sure.

Smfran - going to have to start building yourself a carriage house for all those cars you want - you surely wouldn't want any to get wet or dusty between times out!

Have a Bonnie weekend everyone

Ken
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Certainly unlike me. Ken: add my 2000 SLE to your list (dark bronzemist exterior, "neutral" Prado leather interior).

Okay, question for everyone: what the heck is a Prado? And why should we care?

Glad to see you back Intense - I think you remind us all that, at the core of this large luxury family sedan beats the heart of a performance car.

see you all soon!

the iceman
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    A product called "Scrub Free Soap Scum Remover". It is a bathroom cleaner, comes in lemon scent, and is made by Benckiser. Spray some on a rag and wipe it on, does not take much rubbing. I happened across it when I found a small black grease spot on my Aurora when it from the body shop. It does wonders, just follow it up with a damp rag and whatever you would normally use to protect the surface.
    A few days ago, iceman wrote that there were 60,000 Bonnevilles sold in model year 2000. Any idea of the breakout between SEs,SLEs, and SSEis?
    tpken: For the record, my stats are 2000 SSEi - Midnight Blue - Chrome wheels - Heated seats.

cuzinbrucey: If you think you can not remove the grease easily, do not touch it. Make a list of anything that you notice over the next two weeks and make an appointment with the dealer to take care of it. You paid good money for delivery of a new car. It is not necessary for you to clean it.
    Don't be concerned yet over the placement of the wheel and your view. Over the next 1,000 miles or so you will be making various adjustments to your driving position until you reach a final comfortable situation. Things will change.

intense: With all your modifications, are you still using the car for standard commuting?

iceman: Prado must be Connolly's cousin.

Has anyone found the personalization of the side view mirrors useful in terms of them shifting position when in reverse? I shut that option off as I don't use my mirrors when parallel parking.

Well got to go now. It's time to break ground on the new carriage house!
    They're useful to me when I back out of a tight space next to a concrete median. Helps reduce tire-scuffing! It actually works quite well if you do use your mirrors to parallel park. I do, but I don't parallel park that often. I still leave the feature on though.
    Pontiac keeps quoting sales figures breakdowns of 65% for SE's and the balance roughly equally split between SLE's and SSEi's. If that's how the 60,000 sales went in 2000, then we're looking at:

SE - 39,000
    SLE - 10,500
    SSEi - 10,500

Given that Canada usually accounts for 10% of those figures and other exports account for another 5%, you can probably count on less than 10,000 of each of the SLE and SSEi sold in the States.

Personally, I have only seen one other SLE (besides mine, that is) and, if this forum is any indication, then perhaps SSEi's actually outnumber SLE's.

No word on how sales are going in 2001.

theiceman
    Just read the 2000 auto issue (April). Boy, they do seem to like the Bonneville - giving it +ve marks for reliability and customer satisfaction but a black mark for depreciation. And an overall recommendation! Add that distinction to the others it has already racked up:
    "best pick" in the IIHS offset crash tests (large family sedan)
    5&4 star NHTSA crash test ratings
    Intellichoice's (JD Power) "Complete Car Cost Guide Best Overall Value of the Year" among large sedans for 2000.

Guys, we chose well. The only mystery that remains is why Pontiac doesn't (can't) sell more of them. I think lack of advertising, high sticker prices and competition from the Grand Prix are high on the list of explanations.

theiceman

P.S. If Prado is Connolly's cousin, they are distant cousins - perhaps thrice removed. I've been treating the leather to give it a softer, "kid-glove" like texture and it is getting better.
  • refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    Intense hows the torque steer? Just with the mods I've made I noticed a increase. By the way did your boost psi decrease when you put on the headers? I'm still waiting on my stage II MAF. Its been over 2 months now. Got my rear sway bar and end links. Going to put them on tommorrow. I've got a 2000 SSEi black with chrome wheels. sunroof and heated seats.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    I still drive my SSEi every single day. There's nothing more fun than running into a punk in a Mustang GT. I'm to the point where most stock Mustangs (except Cobras) don't really have a fair chance...

Yesterday, I stayed dead even throughout first gear with my girlfriend in her stock 2000 Ram Air Trans Am. She was mighty surprised, but informed me that she can't be having any 4-door FWD V6 keeping up with her. So as soon as I hit thirteens in the SSEi, I'll have to start bolting some fun parts on her car...

My boost gauge has been pegged since last summer when I first put on the 3.25" pulley, so I can't be sure exactly what happened with my boost. Here are my best guesses:

Stock - max of 5.75 pounds (measured)

3.5" Pulley - max of 8.5 pounds (measured)

3.25" Pulley - max > 10.0 pounds (according to dashboard gauge)

Last Round of Mods - max of 13.0 pounds (measured)
    Without the special cylinder head work, and a completely free-flowing exhaust system, I would guess my boost would be in the 16.0 psi range right now.

My next step will be a step backward to the 3.25" pulley. I think 10 - 12 psi will probably be the right number for me.

Regarding Torque Steer, I only feel it when the tires are breaking loose. This is only an issue at WOT under 40 mph, and during the 1-2 shift when the tires break loose. I've got some mighty sticky tires which I believe help out considerably. My philosophy is to keep both hands on the steering wheel under full throttle...

Scott
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    This thread seems to deal more with modding the newer SSEi's, but I figured I'd bounce this question off you guys anyhow. My Grandma's 1992 SSE got to where it almost wouldn't stop, the front end floated enough that it made a Town Car look like a Vette, and it pulld to the right when you hit the brakes. I got the car up on blocks, and started looking, and the sway bar had come completely loose on the right, and two of the rubber bushings on the bolt holding the left side dwon were gone. Replaced all the bolts, spacers, warshers, bushings, ect on the sway bar ends, and it calmed the front end down to levels you'd expect from a Bonneville. The brakes gave me another problem though. When the brakes were pumped up and held, and I opened the bleeder screw, brake fluid barely oozed out on the right, shot out hard on the left. New right side caliper and the problem's solved, right? Wrong. It stops a lot better, but is still way below what it's supposed to be. No problems with ABS or parking brake, it just doesn't have the brakes it once did. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong. I can't afford the time or money to go throwing parts at it in hopes of randomly fixing my problem.
  • jhgoodmanjhgoodman Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I enjoy reading all the postings and I guess I should add to the list, especially since I don't see anybody with my particular car: 2000 SLE in Maple Red with pewter leather. I bought it in July, 00, trading in my '93 SE. It has 9700 miles. It's a great car and when I see it freshly washed I feel like that guy in the KIA commercial ("Yes, that IS my car, isn't it!). When I first looked at new Bonnevilles, I thought I would go with the black color but once I saw a red one my decision was made.

I wanted to relate one thing I discovered during this long Minneapolis winter. One night after we got 8 or 9 inches of snow dumped on us,I got stuck in a rut in my alley. I got a couple of neighbors to help push but the Bonnie wouldn't budge until AFTER I disengaged the traction control. Then I could "rock" it out with little problem, in fact I don't think I even would have needed anyone to push. Maybe this is only logical but I haven't read much about the traction control. I don't recall ever getting stuck in my '93.

Looking forward to some great (Spring) Bonnie-driving weather....
    Welcome jhgoodman (gawd, me wonders how many lurkers we get here). I think your maple red SLE is a real looker. In fact, I said as much back my post #764 where I posted a pic of same. I've never actually seen one up close in red but I've seen the same colour on other cars and man, it is rich.

Anyway, traction control dramatically improves your ability to move and to move straighter when one or more of your wheels loses traction. But it absolutely sucks out loud when you're at a dead stop in an icy rut - it doesn't allow you to rock! It's a pity that your sales rep. didn't walk you through that when you bought it (of course, who'd be thinking of that when you buy in July)?

On that subject, Please Please Please somebody bring an end to this winter!!!!

the (well-named) iceman

Has anyone heard why GM couldn't/hasn't linked the DIC to the diagnostics in the OBDII? It would seem that there would be zero hardware cost and only a minor amount of programming to have the DIC display a diagnostic code and the couple of words that go with it. While these cars are new, it is pretty much a non issue but later on, dealers and mechanics charge a nice sum to hook up the computer to spit out the codes. With the DIC, you would think that this could be done for next to nothing. In today's world, many people wouldn't know what to do with the information, but some of us would understand a reading of the code rather than a generic "check engine" light.
    Smfran, I see you received your sway bars. You've inspired me to e-mail Saner as soon as I get off of this site and see where mine are.
    Thanks for the numbers on the Bonneville. How about some comparative figures? How does it compare to the competition like 300M, LHS, Buick Ultra, etc.?
    In the sales brochure it calls the leather "Connolly". I've also seen the term "Prado" used, but can't remember where. Any clues iceman?
    Welcome to the forum! I see Maple Red Bonnevilles more frequently than any other color around New England. It certainly is a super color and you have a great automobile there in every way. Best wishes for many enjoyable miles of Bonnie pleasure!

Please don't be a stranger here - keep us updated on your driving experiences.

Ken
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    Hi from Wisconsin everyone,

Black, gray interior, chrome wheels, heated seats, no sun roof, no front plate, delivered in January, 2000. Has 13,500 miles and has never been back to the shop except for oil (Mobil One) changes. No squeaks or rattles and she flies.

Smfran- I've been lurking, just haven't had much to say. The Vette is running great, just got back from Florida (dodging snow and ice all the way down and back). Oh, and you guys haven't seen bad cup holders until you've experienced the cup holder (yes... one) on the latest generation Corvette... but then we all have to make sacrifices, huh? :-)

Bill Shelton
    Madison, WI
    Glad to see you are still here. Your Bonnie and mine are the same except we are required in Mass. to have a front plate, and I have about 10,000 more miles than you. My Bonnie will be one year old on May 8th.
    Another advantage of the Bonneville over the Vette is the luggage space. You probably couldn't pack much more than your Speedo!:-) But maybe that's a good thing!!
    Bill - the March Madness that everyone talks about is the cabin fever that sets in about this time of year in the Northeast - looking out at muddy, soggy terrain with dirty piles of snow here and there, flooding basements from too much rain after too much snow. YOU LUCKY GUY - would love to have been catching Spring Training these last few weeks instead of shoveling roofs!

Got your SSEi on my growing list here - thanks

Ken
    Stephen: thanks for your Connolly lineage reference. I subsequently did an internet search and discovered references to "Connolly Prado leather" but only for the Bonneville. A search on GM's and Pontiac's sites for "Connolly Prado" yielded nothing but separate searches for "Connolly" and "Prado" on Pontiac's site yielded hits for Firebird (Prado only) and the Bonneville (Connolly only). Confusing but I think the lineage is established. With Connolly's reputation for top-quality leather, why the confused messages? C'mon Pontiac, get it right!

GM Car Sales for 2000 by model:
    Buick
    Century - 143,085
    LeSabre - 148,663
    Regal - 65,167
    Park Avenue - 47,669
    Riviera - 58 (didn't know there were any left)
    Cadillac
    Catera - 17,290
    DeVille - 105,694 (not too shabby!)
    Eldorado - 13,289
    Seville - 29,535
    Chevrolet
    Camaro - 42,131
    Cavalier - 236,803
    Corvette - 31,208 (speedo not incl.)
    Impala - 174,358
    Lumina - 46,753
    Malibu - 207,376
    Metro - 33,878
    Monte Carlo - 66,364
    Prizm - 52,116
    Olds
    Alero - 122,722
    Aurora - 28,250
    Cutlass - 1,243 (ditto the Riv)
    88 - 477
    Intrigue - 64,109
    Pontiac
    Bonneville - 65,606
    Firebird - 31,013
    Grand Am - 214,923
    Grand Prix - 148,521
    Sunfire - 82,364
    Saturn
    L - 94,034
    S - 177,355

Selected Chrysler cars (2000 volumes)
    Concord - 50,206
    300M - 50,682
    LHS - 20,982
    Intrepid - 143,840

hope this gives y'all something to chew on

theiceman
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Yes folks, I have an 00' Black SSEi with pinstripe, heated seats, sunroof, Lebra front end cover and just received Jet PCM that I need help to install. I'm planning on getting a smaller pulley from Thrasher but I'm taking things one step at a time. I'm a newbie when it comes to engine mods. I got my "bat mobile" in Feb with 6700 miles after trading in my 97 Black SSEi with a cone air filter, not K&N but so nice, the dealership that I traded the car in to wouldn't give me the filter back when I asked for it! I'm envious of all the Grand Prix sites out there and they even have a Grand Am store now! Where's the justice in that! We're treated like step children! I would love to be able to get a ram air hood like those two cars have! Just imagine how nice our cars would look with that kind of add-on! Anyway I was hanging back enjoying the posts, and hope to be able to join in every once in awhile!

Kevin in NJ
    00' Black SSEi
    92' Green SE
    The list of participants and cars is growing and I'd like to fill in some blanks. Would each of you mind providing the following data?

Missing color: MartyB4, derrick080, whogault, mlm4, mrobinson3

Missing year: ezrapon, mrobinson3

Missing model: Jakec1

So far I've recorded 24 participating Bonneville owners and 14 are lucky SSEi guys. I have 4 SLEs on record and just 2 of us lowly SE owners. There are 4 for which i have no data.

Have no info: caludencias, jashou, blk2001, snickle

Thanks for the inputs everyone - I hope the list continues to grow.

Bonnie Monday to all

Ken
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Is used by Jaguar, and I beleive it's also used by Rolls Royce. Prado, I've never heard of....
    I think that's our point - GM alternately uses "Connolly Prado" and "Prado" for the leather in the Bonneville. Even Edmunds uses the term "Connolly Prado" in its review of 2001 Bonnevilles. It certainly leaves the impression that this is a grade of leather obtained from Connolly (the famed tannery responsible for the hides in Jags, RR's, Ferrari, Masserati, and even - gulp - Volvo) but it also leaves some doubts. But, if there was any doubt in any of our minds, check these out: Detroit News: British firm moves into Highland Park, Detroit News: Suppliers join to make leather, and autofieldguide.com: Atlantic Crossing

I think we can put this one to rest - gentlemen, our butts are planted on leather with Jaguar lineage. As far for driving naked to experience the true charms of Connolly leather (as the last article suggests), I think I would personally wait for warmer weather.

theiceman

I echo those comments. I'll add this - have you yet had to reset the oil life monitors yourself? The Grand Prix's needs some consultation with the manual and following a not very intuitive sequence to accomplish. Much the same for setting other features. The Bonneville? Hey, that's what your DIC is for.

...er...in a manner of speaking...
    Dan - I would imagine that a summer day up your way might be conducive to driving bare butt but I shudder to think what that might do for Bdreggors or mlm4 in Florida!

Ken
    bdreggons:

Thanks for the reply. I might look at swapping in some Bonneville seats one day since the leather is the same color. I might have to do the rear seats as well so the upholstry matches everywhere. Too bad Buick doesn't offer REAL bucket seats in the LeSabre. Even the seats in a Regal are a joke -- no lumbar support at all!!

I never actually made eye contact with the 300M dude. I'm sure he went home that night wondering how his big 'ol sports sedan couldn't keep up with a Buick highway cruiser. Actually at some point, I'm sure the 300M would have kept going where mine would have hit the ceiling because of the speed limiter. A 300M with the Performance Package is supposed to top out at 145.

ezrapon:

Yessir, I have the GT package, which includes a 3.05 gear. And yes, sometimes I turn off the traction control to see how long I can smoke the tires. This thing does move. Makes me wonder what is wrong with the 300M, though. The numbers for the car just don't make it on the road. A 250HP/250 lb ft combination should be around 7 seconds 0-60.

iceman:

Pretty good sales numbers on the G-body cars, but really dismal numbers for the F-bodies. I really get torqued at GM for the way they're letting the Camaro/Firebird slide into oblivion. It really seems like GM only cares about making trucks and SUVs. I would like to see where their energies go once the truck/SUV market gets too saturated.

- vtech83
    Yeah, GM's given up on the F-body, ceding that territory to the 'Stang. You're not alone in wondering why they gave up so easily. Perhaps they don't think they did give up easily.

Ken, as cold as it gets up here (try as cold as -40°F with windchill in January), it can also get awfully warm in the summer (try as hot as 100+°F with humidex in August). Basically, there's only a very small window of comfort for the Lady Godiva rides in the Bonneville. Thank heavens for those perforations.

theiceman
  • blk2001blk2001 Member Posts: 13
    HI, FOLKS
    ARE WE TAKING INVENTORY ON WHO OWNS WHAT IN THIS TOWN HALL?
    IF WE ARE, HERE IT IS:
    2001 SSEi
    BLACK WITH STRIPES SILVER OVER WHITE(MAKES THE CAR LOOK LONGER)
    MILES: 4800
    FRONT PLATE(ILLINOIS) LOOKS STUPID!
    DELIVERED IN OCT,'00
    NO SUN ROOF: $1000 OPTION I Didn't NEED. PREFER THE LONGER ROOF CONSOLE
    CHROME WHEELS
    LEFT PASSENGER DOOR DOES NOT OPEN FROM INSIDE THE CAR AFTER BEING LOCKED. BUT IT OPENS FROM THE OUTSIDE. GOING BACK TO DEALER, OBVIOUSLY.
    ANYBODY WITH SIMILAR PROBLEM?
    OTHER THAN THAT, THIS CAR IS FABULOUS!!!!!!!!
    I've got to ask the obvious: are you talking about your front or your rear left passenger door? I assume rear because normally we associated "left" with the driver's side (but there's no universal, is there?)

If you're talking rear door on the driver's (or passenger's) side, one obvious explanation would be that the childproof locking mechanism might be activated. Since the front doesn't have this mechanism, that couldn't be the explanation if the problem was on the front door. To correct it, open it from the outside, look at the inside lip on the door itself, locate the child safety lock and disengage the little lever. If this is not the problem, take her to the dealer.

Regards, theiceman
    Bernie - sounds like a beauty! Those pinstripes are a nice touch.

I'm compiling a database of posters here in the Bonneville forum. So far yours is the 7th black of the 15 SSEi models I've recorded here. There are 4 known SLEs and 2 SEs posting here and a few unknowns.

Enjoy that Bonneville!

Ken
    forgot to mention that my SLE also has pinstripes. Only other options: traction control and (bare butt-inviting Connolly) leather.

Cheers! Dan (theiceman)
    I'm wondering what color pinstripes would look good on my Spruce Green SE - there's a lot of gold in this paint so possibly a gold stripe - any thoughts?

Ken
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    hey ken- come on buddy- we might be on the bottom of the feeding chain in regards to
    our fellow bonneville owners- but we're miles ahead of the OTHER GUYs cars out there-
    RE: Chrysler, Ford ETC.
    I also agree with you- there has got to be more than us two 2000/01 SE owners out there- Come on guys and or ladies- - add your 2000/01 SE to this site!!!!

As a point of info- my wife uses the car- monday -fri- for work etc- lots of stop and go traffic- generally we average around 20/21 miles per gallon- this week-end i went to Atlantic City- round trip- about 267 miles- car took 10.003 gallons of gas- 26.6 miles per gallon- big improvement on the open highway.( don't ask if I won anything down there- as usually I gave my pint of blood at the casino door!!)

Chuck.
This discussion has been closed.