Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• cerocceroc Member Posts: 2
    Ford doesn't allow X Plan on Jaguars, but I'm not sure about A Plan.
  • marktsjag1marktsjag1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 S-Type 3.0 and recently brought the car in for the ball joint inspection. The ball joints were inspected/replaced? and since then recently when I went over a small pot hole I thought the wheel fell off! It made such a loud noise that I couldn't wait to pull into my garage to check the wheels. It happened twice. At first it sounded like the front right wheel then the back wheel or trunk???
    Mark snowed in in N.Y..
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    I've sold Jaguars on X-plan. So unless this is a new policy I believe you are in error.
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Check out the 4/01 issue of Motor Trend, page 152. Have a 1-year test update of 2000 Jag S-type. They noted that their car "had its front suspension tightened to eliminate a slight clunking noise".
  • toomanychoicestoomanychoices Member Posts: 18
    but it's a 99 Mitsubishi Diamante I bought new about 18 months ago.

The noise was from the trunk area and would occur when I hit a pot hole or went over a speed bump, and could be replicated by bouncing the rear of a car at a standstill. We showed it to the service manager at the dealer, and he reported that a "coil needed to be rebedded" on the suspension. They were able to fix it quickly.

Hope this helps...
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    A-plan and X-plan purchases are allowed for every brand associated with FoMoCo, except for Aston Martin. Certain vehicles may not be eligible, because of demand. No dealer has to sell you anything under the plan.
  • jago6jago6 Member Posts: 2
    The engine light came on in our S type so we took it to the dealer. They said the light came on because mice had chewed some of the wires in the engine. We don't keep the car in our garage. The service guy said that he has seen a disproportional amount of S types with this problem and thinks that maybe there is something in the engine that attracts mice. We have lived here for 9 years and have never had this problem nor have any of our neighbors. Has anyone else heard of this problem?
    take some solace in that the mice have great taste in cars. They go for the classier Jags. At least they are leaving my '00 Lincoln LS8 alone. Maybe they are attracted to the real wood? Guess I should be glad I have plastic?
  • cartesiocartesio Member Posts: 36
    Interesting story. My neighbor has a new XJ but keeps an '88 Eldorado for snow. A few years ago, the Cadillac wouldn't start. Turned out that squirrels had eaten most of the insulation in the engine compartment, and also had built nests there! (It sits outside.) So, your experience is not unheard of....
    Happy motoring anyway!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    you had better be nice to the squirrels, or we will re-classify a rain puddle into a wetland and anchor your car there forever:):):):):)
  • 67106710 Member Posts: 2
    Answer to post #97 ceroc...heard that 02's interior will feature new dash/instruments... along the lines of the forthcoming X type.... also all the new safety features in the X type will probably be incorporated in the X's,i.. side curtain airbags..it would only make sense.... perhaps Jag will get the interior back to tradition. Too bad it wasn't done right when the car was released. For more info. try jagtalk.com
  • ourjagourjag Member Posts: 10
    The last time I took our S-Type into the dealership in early Febuary for service. I was sitting in the service dept. customer waiting lounge and overheard a Ford Motor excutive discussing the X-Plan with one of the dealers new car salesmen. I didn`t catch it all but it sounds as if Ford had done away with the X-Plan. But they had replaced it with a new program which I can not remember the name. The Ford excutive and the dealers salesman were discussing the details of the new program, which I didn`t really catch! It did sound as though substantial changes had been made in comparsion to the former X-Plan. So if your planning to purchase a Jaguar via this route, you should first contact Jaguar Motorcars or Ford Motor Company or your local Jaguar dealer. Good Luck! An S-Type is sure a lot of Honey for the Money and if your able to purchase through either Fords A or ?-Plans you`ll get $5,000.00-$6,000.00 off sticker! WOW! even more Honey for the Money!!!!!
  • harriettharriett Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had battery problems after leaving their car sit for 10 days or so?. I hate to have to rely on a "maintainer" as suggested.
  • wantajag1wantajag1 Member Posts: 1
    i am considering purchasing a new 3.0 S-type. If you own one, i would like your opinion.
    We have had our S-Type 10-months and 9000 miles. Have experienced one minor recall and two minor warranty claims of our own. Handling Excellent, 3.0 liter 24 Valve DOHC V-6 Engine More Than Adaquate Power, Ride slightly firm but still that of a road car! Slightly firm because it is tagged and designed as a mid-sized luxury SPORTS sedan. Brakes the very BEST! Interior contemporary styling high quality leather and wood trim second to none in its segment that being mid-sized luxury sedans. I would rate Mercedes Benz E320 2nd best interior in this segment and Mercedes E320 cost $6-7,000.00 higher than the S-Type equally equipped. Go with the standard suspension with 16 inch wheels and tires Bridgestone Turanza`s. Heard you`ll catch hell with the Sports Pkg that includes Pirelli 17 inch low/profile tires and 17 inch Sports rims. I`ve heard the Pirelli`s don`t go in snow besides the low/profile tires diminish the Highway Ride of the S-Type! Things have slowed down with the economy and cars sales in general so right now you can really get a nice deal on a 2001 Jaguar 3.0 S-type. Then you can join me as a fellow teamster behind the wheel of the most BEAUTIFUL & ELEGANT Mid-sized Luxury Sports sedan in the entire universe! Lexus GS-300, Acura RL, Infiniti Q45, BMW 528i, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz E320 and Cadillac Seville EAT your GAS tanks OUT!!!!
  • praxis1praxis1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, have a 99 S-type for almost 2 years and so far so good, but I'm only 5'6 and would like the power seat to go higher a little more. Would appreciate information if an adjustment could be done or maybe if a aftermarket product is available to solve the probelm.

tks
  • christines1christines1 Member Posts: 1
    The thunking started several months ago. The mechanic, in order to fix this problem, tightened the shock tower nuts. That did nothing and the thunking continued. When I brought the car back to the mechanic he replaced the rear shocks. As of this date the thunking continues.

Has anybody had any success in getting rid of this thunking noise. It's really disconcerting - I feel the bottom of the car is going to drop out.
  • icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    If you own or are considering an S-Type (or X-Type), you may wish to visit a VERY active discussion board which concentrates on those two models. There are now over 1000 members!

It is completely free and no one will try to sell you anything (thank goodness). It's Jagtalk.com

http://www.Jagtalk.com

Steve
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Hmm... that's surprising...

The wood in my 95 Vanden Plas with 121K ungaraged also mostly FL miles is still nice and dark...

Ditto our 97 XJ6 with 56K.. that's also a Florida car.

Odd... it used to be a problem but I hear they are using a new process. Seems to be working!

Bill
    95,97,99 sedans..
    We purchased our 2000 Jaguar S-Type in April 2000 and it is the BEST! mid-sized luxury sports sedan in the world!!!
  • harriettharriett Member Posts: 3
    Re messages 86 & 114. By contacting Customer Relations they have found a fix in Service Bulletin S414-02 & have installed Kit XR822981 (Forward Harness Bypass Lead. This should solve the battery drain problems for us low mileage users. All cost was under warranty.
    There have been several reports on the Jagtalk message board:
    http://www.Jagtalk.com about battery drain. I will forward your
    information about the Service Bulletin. Thanks!!

Steve
    Just a side note that I learned from one of the tech's when I asked why the s-types in the show room tend to kill their own batteries. Normal parasitic drain on a battery is in the range of 50 millivolts which the car can sustain for months. However everytime you unlock the car or put the key in the ignition weater you start the car or not the onboard electronices power up and produce a 500 millivolt drain for the next 45 min. Therefore if you do not start the car enableing the alternator to recharge the battery you will rapidly run down the battery.
  • curryhondacurryhonda Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to drop in and see how the great looking Taurus oops I meant S-type is doing? If you get past the great looks, I see Ford is being Ford. I see Hertz in South Florida are dumping them for around 28k Didn't they sell for around 44K?

I haven't seen any GS300's,BMW 5 series, or the E320 in any rental fleets lately?
    Your profile indicates you really like Mercedes Benz. Your name suggests Honda. Which is it? Both? Hertz is part of the Ford Corporate Empire. So of course they'll have some Jag S-type and Lincoln LSs in various locales. You seem to be jealous that you can't rent an MB the next time you are in a vacation spot.

Make sure to get to Germany. You'll enjoy seeing all the BMWs and MBs used as pedestrian taxi cabs, cop cars, & rental cars. Maybe you can sample some of the small motor and diesel cars they have which aren't even exported to USA.

If you get the chance, take an S-type, LS8 Sport, or LS6 manual Sport out on a nice winding road. You'll take back what you said!
  • curryhondacurryhonda Member Posts: 3
    At 9,239 miles, I rented the very smart looking Taurus/S-type in Miami for a 3 1/2 hour leisurely drive to Key West. The elegant car always attracted smiles but it rattled severely and the plastic was coming loose and the ABS light flickered often and I could go on and on! It was so bad that the Hertz agency in Key west put me in a Sable to return to Miami. I can give alittle for the car being a rental but at $51,300 sticker for the 4.0 not me.

And yes, I have rented the diesel boxes of Europe and I agree, but for first year out dumping the S-types to the fleets??or was it they over projected and had to move them somewhere? What about the saps that lunked MSRP+ down for them when they hit the showrooms?

As far as the Lincoln, much better $value$ and room.
    Oh, and you can whittle a Lincoln dealer down to invoice and if you catch them at a weak point you can get their holdback.

And your most recent owned I like about all of them except the Hyundai and the glorified Sentra/G-20 ?? What where you thinking? I am with you on the old Mercury! Have you seen the 03 Marauder by Ford?
    If you are going to leap into a forum and attack the car, can't you at least answer the questions I posed? Are you a big MB supporter? Which one(s)? Honda? Which one(s)?

You'll gripe about a rental S-type. Every rental car I've ever had had issues. The people who rent them don't own them. They don't take care of them. They don't treat them nicely. If performance oriented, they tend to flog them. That's why I would never buy a used rental car. Why not take a test drive in an S-type or loaded LS8 from a dealer's lot? Think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (Or are you an inveterate Jag/Lincoln hater?)

I love my '00 LS8 Sport, though it has had a couple niggling repair issues. I love my '96 Impala SS, though it is primitive (no IRS) and really needs a manual transmission. Since Marauder will also have a non-independent rear suspension and won't have manual tranny, I'm not too excited about it. Can't wait to see a 6-speed manual LS8 in '02 or '03. And I love my business Hyundai, a fully loaded Sonata GLS V-6 w/5-speed manual tranny, ABS, & traction control. Great fun on a budget! (You're too harsh about the '89-'96 Infiniti G20. The '94-'96 G20t was a great handler and spry performer with the manual tranny. I owned both a base G20 and a G20t. Never had a single mechanical problem, repair, or warranty issue.)
    Sorry to go off topic, but the G20 is based on the non US market Nissan Primera and has no connection with the sentra other than Infiniti allowing Nissan to use the G20's powerplant for the pocket rocket SER models
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    The newest " Automobile " issue has a long term test report on the S-type. I think it hits right on the Bull Eye.
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    I saw a picture of the Jaguar X type recently and it is beautiful. I suspect that it may share a number of components with the Jaguar S type. I read consumer reports and the Jaguar S type was given a horribly reliability rating. Are Jaguar vehicles that bad in terms on reliability? Is is wise for me to even consider the Jaquar X type?
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Member Posts: 91
    Yes, jamrock4, S-Type reliability is that bad. Here's my experience:

1st S-Type (kept 3 weeks) was delivered with leaking transmission, broken engine mount, and swapped wheels.

2nd S-Type (just turned 25,500 miles) is on its second transmission, third engine control module, second audio head unit, and second pair of front brake rotors. I've given up trying to fix it and just hope it doesn't fall apart before the lease runs out. Current problems include a transmission that slips on upshifts, leather wearing out on front center armrest, phone slide-out drawer broken, and dashboard lights not always coming on when I turn on the headlights.

Just in case you think I'm hard on cars, I've had 9 Japanese cars (two of which I still have . . . a 1999 Lexus RX 300 and a 1996 Miata). Eight of them, including the current two, have been entirely problem-free throughout their service life.
    I guess for those who have never drove or even rode in a Jaguar S-Type sedan and for the most part likely have never drove or rode in any make or model of luxury sedan. I could understand how these folks would fail to appreciate the Beauty, Elegance and High Quality Craftsmanship that every Jaguar Motorcar radiates! When a Jaguar presents itself onto the highway all heads turn. Those who have actual hands on knowledge of fine luxury touring sedans look in awe as one of the finest luxury sports sedans rolls gracefully down the turnpike! But only those who have experince driving and riding luxury automobiles can truly critique the Jaguar S-Type! Shame that those who have not add any practical experience with the Jaguar S-Type or for that fact any luxury automobiles choose to tear down the most beautiful luxury touring motorcar! Its just a shame!!!
    Think you really have to study the CR Reliability data. It is screwy for both the Jag S-type and Lincoln LS.

From CR's 4/01 Annual Auto Issue:

If you look at the Reliability Frequency of Repair Charts on pages 76-88, there are 14 individual areas for ratings and one overall rating. The Jag S-type (pg. 83) is rated best (few trouble spots) on 7 areas. It receives the second best rating on 6 areas, and the average rating on 1 area (electrical). CR then does NOT give a "Reliability Verdict". Thus all of the ratings are good to great (with have being the best).

Similar ratings for LS8 and LS6 are also on pg. 83. The LS8 gets the best rating on 12 items and the 2nd best rating on the other two. CR gives LS8 an overall "reliability" verdict of "average reliability". Go figure. For the LS6, 10 items are given the best rating, 3 are given the second best rating, and only 1 is given the average rating. CR then give the LS6 no "reliability verdict".

Then turn to the Reliability "Looking Forward" section on pages 30-31. On page 31 the S-type gets a "much worse than average" future "guesstimate", at nearly 80% worse than average.

The rating for the LS is on p. 31. But CR breaks it down separately for LS6 and LS8. The LS8 gets a slightly above average future "guestimate" but the LS6 gets a nearly -60% "guesstimate". Notice how CR did NOT break down the S-type by 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

Not sure how CR says Jag S-type and Lincoln LS have disappointing reliability and poor future reliability "guesstimate" when the specific rated items are good.

Compare to BMW 3 Series which gets above average reliability future "guesstimate" when it has only 11 best individual ratings and 3 2nd best, worse outcome than for the lower rated LS8. Again, go figure.
    Most of the car press had predicted that by dropping Lucas as their electrical supplier and by adopting Ford quality processes, Jaguar would at last slay their infamous electrical gremlins.

But not so . . . not only have I had several electrical problems with my 2000 S-Type, but three of the four people in my company who also drive S-Types as their company cars have had some combination of the same problems (dashboard lights not coming on, audio system display turning into gibberish, interior lights not turning off when you shut the doors).

Friends of mine several years back had a Jaguar XJ6. It was such a beautiful car that I always lusted after one. But I held off after watching them live through their quality woes -- AC condensation line pouring water into the front passenger footwell, endless electrical gremlins, odd body squeaks.

Then, with the intro of the gorgeous S-Type, the high JD Powers ratings of the XK8, and the reports of Ford's determination to clean up Jaguar quality, I assumed Jaguar finally had their quality problems licked.

As the CR ratings indicate, the electrical problems are still there. Why do they plague Jaguar decades after other car makers have licked them? When there is something this seriously wrong in an engineering/manufacturing/sourcing organization, it likely to have an impact on other areas of design and manufacture.
    Lucas ignition/electrical has not disappeared into the sunset yet :)
    Does anyone know if the electrical systems in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-type are the same or not? If same, then they should have similar problems. If different,...

Interestingly, Consumer Reports gave the LS6 and Jag S-type the same "average" reliability rating for electrical, but gave the LS8 the "few" problems, highest rating, for electrical.
    one step further, if the LS is made in the US and S-Type is made in UK, do they even use the same electrical system at all???...we keep hearing they are made on the same frame and that the engines are only slightly different (same block, different valve trains, or whatever), but are they really that similar???...just because the frames are similar, is it possible that they cars are really more different than alike???...just because Ford owns Jaguar, do they really share as many components as we think???
    Well, they certainly share engines. The Jaguar 3.0 liter is the Ford Duratec block with Jaguar-designed and manufactured heads. And the LS 3.9 liter is the Jaguar 4.0 liter with iron cylinder liners instead of the thinner nickasil liners Jaguar uses (hence the displacement difference).
    Poor British Worker Quality? (to marsha7, #138)

Methinks maybe you have solved the quandry. Of course, limey workers aren't up to international standards! Once British Socialist, oops Labour, Party back in power, why wouldn't the assemblyline worker not fight his or her capitalist exploiter boss by showing the same shabby build quality that made British cars fabulously infamous??? (Just kidding.)

Think, Guiness Brewery workers are now on strike. Can the British worker work well without his pints? Will soon be chaos in the streets and plants if strike not settled soon! :)
    giowa: one thing for sure...Guinness Stout is the ONLY beer worth drinking...the stuff we make here that sponsors the Super Bowl is not fit for my dog to drink...so, while the Brits may (or may not) know how to build a car, they sure know beer
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    mpyles1 - the displacement difference is due to the Lincoln having a 1 mm shorter stroke than the jaguar (85 vs 86 IIRC) - the bore is the same even though they have different linings.

The hp difference comes from the more expensive Jaguar Variable Valve Timing heads (VVT).
    You may be right, akirby. I was just reporting what the car press said about the differences in the engines at the time the two cars came out. What is your source on the stroke difference?
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks to all who responded to my concerns about Jaquar reliability. Read mpyles1's account of the problems he experienced and I am amazed at the severity of the problems at just 25,000 miles.
    Giowa on the other hand brought out what appears to be inconsistencies in Consumer Reports review of the S-type.

On page 76 of the April report in the middle of the page with the title 'Average is better than ever' you will see what the average score is for a 2000 model car. Compared to that model the S-type is below average in 5 trouble spots (engine, transmission, electrical, A/C, and suspension). These are significant trouble spots and so even though I really like the appearance of the upcoming X type and the fact that it is all wheel drive I still have concerns about the reliability of Jaguar vehicles.
    CR "Average" Reliability (to jamrock4, #144)

As I said before, I find it interesting that CR had separate results for Lincoln LS6 and LS8 but not separate results for Jaguar 3.0 and 4.0. I wonder if their sample sizes were too small for each separately so they had to combine into one?

However, if you like the overall platform and you really go by CR, you might consider the LS8. Notice on p. 83 that LS8 beats the CR "average" and gets the black check mark for average reliability. (Oddly enough, the LS8 beats the BMW 3 Series and the 3 Series matches the "average" perfectly, but the 3 Series gets the red above average checkmark. That really has driven some anti-BMW LS owners crazy.)
    Honestly I think a few troubles are to be expected the first year a car is out. Jaguar still maintains the highest initial lease satisfaction of any brand. Their long term reliability is well above average trailing only Lexus, Porche, Infiniti, Toyota, and Acura, and tied with Mercedes-Benz. If you are worried about it wait a year then buy an X-type. Besides that way you might not have to pay full list.
    You may have a point, mvargo1, about more problems with new models shortly after introduction. My first S-Type (which Jaguar had to buy back) was off the very first delivery truck to arrive at the dealer. And its replacement was not but about three weeks behind.

But I find it odd to be satisfied with the quality of a $54,000 car because it trails "only" five other brands and ties with a sixth in overall quality ratings.
    Guess when you can afford a $50,000 car, it doesn`t really mean that much to you. Especially when you`re driving the most Beautiful and Elegant luxury touring sedan in the world! All those jealous and envious looks from behind the wheels of Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, BMW and Acura`s. Well I guess thats just icing on the cake!!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about the S-Type, there is no longer a need for the "Part Two" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I have had an S-Type for 1 year and 15,000 miles and, so far, it has been much
    more reliable than my wife's Lexus GS. The Jagtalk.com message board has
    hundreds of S-Type owners, and reliability problems are just not a concern for the
    vast majority of the posters there.
    Steve
    http://www.Jagtalk.com
  • cclittlecclittle Member Posts: 23
    I have heard rumors that the 4.0 is going to be B&S'd out to 4.1 or 4.3 in the next 2 years - and/or the addition of a supercharger option.

Anybody hear similar things? When do the Jag '02's get announced?

(paving the way for the LS to get more power as well)