Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Jaguar S-Type
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• kbs2001kbs2001 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are new owners of a 2001 Saphire Blue S-Type, V8, with all the options. We are extremely happy with the car as a whole, however the Integrated Cellphone that comes with the Communications package is a severe disappointment. Yesterday when attempting to activate the phone with a cellular provider, we learned that this model is an older analog model that does not work with any of the current rate plans (do they assume Jaguar owners don't worry about cellphone costs?). We are investigating alternatives, but wanted to see if anyone else had already taken this road and found the hidden offramp. Any suggestions??
  • icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    That topic has been covered on the JAG message board, and you might want to start it up again. The board is free and specializes in the S-Type...
    http://www.markofwestminster.com/signup.html
    Steve
  • fhoffmanfhoffman Member Posts: 2
    I have had a continual problem with the tires on my s type. The tires have been changed by the dealer once already. This has helped a little,but has not solved the problem. Any suggestions?
  • pete1357pete1357 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 4.0 S type with 2K miles. The brake peddle seems to have a lot of travel. When you press it, it also makes a air sound similar to when you press a air pump. The brake peddle also squeeks. The dealer put oil on it but to no avail. He told me all s types are like this. Has anyone else experienced this.
  • pete1357pete1357 Member Posts: 2
    fhoffman, I have has the same problem. Vibration thru the steering column. Dealer has rebalanced and rotated the tires twice. I have also tried different air pressures, but the problem still exists. I thought the next step was to change the tires and I was getting ready to ask the dealer to do this. Sorry to hear that this might not work, as in your case.
    I have bridestone tires. Ask your dealer to call the Jaguar tech line. I have recently heard that the tech line is recommending the installation of bushings to solve this problem. Good luck.
  • tom1996tom1996 Member Posts: 7
    I recall reading postings soon after the S-Type was introduced that the front wheels vibrated at 70 mph but subsequent postings indicated that the problem was fixed. I don't know how they fixed it but my 4.0, which I got in June doesn't, have that problem.

Another posting said that the car gets flat spots if not used for a week or more but that the symptoms go away after being driven for a while.
  • jimmybob1jimmybob1 Member Posts: 5
    Pete,

I would certainly not accept the dealer's word that all Jaguar pedals squeak. I have been lucky to drive a number of S-Types and I know for sure that this is not the case. If you can, please take the car to another Jaguar dealer who I am sure will be glad to help. If you still have difficulty doing this then please phone Jaguar on the hotlines indicated in your service literature and they will help.
  • mking10mking10 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if this is related, but my wife and I have a 3.0 with about 11,000 miles on it. At about 8,000 we started hearing a clicking noise which sounded like it was coming from behind the steering column, when we applied the brakes. On the first trip to the dealer, they lubed the brake pedal connection, but that did not fix it, and then they ordered some component that was apparently a relay between the brake pedal and the engine, and when that was replaced, the noise went away. Good luck with your noises.
  • jcooper3jcooper3 Member Posts: 4
    I have had experience with two "S" Types. One VIN S/N 13,xxx which Jaguar replaced because of front end vibrations. The second VIN 72,xxx which is close to perfect. Replacement of the bushings is a viable fix. Tire balance is critical, as is not allowing flat spots to occur by leaving the car parked for weeks on end. I have found Jaguar especially responsive to this issue. If you have problems call Jaguar N/A.
  • lisat4lisat4 Member Posts: 8
    Just got back from a 2-week 4,600 mile journey west that took us through 14-states.Touring the interstate highways at 80-85 MPH and in Tempertures topping out at 109 degrees in Oklahoma and Texas.Through the Great Plains,Mountains and Desert our S-Type came through it all without any problems what so ever.We traveled from our home in Michigan thru Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,Missouri,Oklahoma,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona,Nevada,Utah,Wyoming,Nebraska and Iowa.This was the most miles we had ever clocked on a driving vacation.It really gave us a chance to put our new 3.0 S-Type to the test! This beautiful Mistral Blue Baby came through with flying colors.At one point along I-40 in Texas my husband put her up to 100 MPH.He said she did not strain one bit and had plenty of gas pedal left.He also then stated that he was glad he chose the 3.0 liter V-6 because she had just proved that this engine provided more than enough power for this Mid-Size Luxury Sedan.
  • 14301430 Member Posts: 1
    My new S-Type which I've only had for 4-mos. makes a loud metallic "ping" sound after the engine has been shut off. This can occur immediately or sometimes as long as 15-20" after car is parked. It also can occur more than once.It almost seems like a cooling response. The dealer has replaced my muffler, and altho the sound doesn't happen as often, the "ping" sound has reoccurred. Anyone with a similar problem or advice as to what this could be. (Of course, I've mainly been using the car in the hot summer months and I don't know if sound will occur in cooler weather.) Mary Ellen
  • jagmen1jagmen1 Member Posts: 3
    I TOO HAVE A LOUD PING COME FROM WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE THE HEAT SHIELD OR SOMETHING EXHAUST RELATED. I ATTRIBUTE THIS TO THE COOLING OF THE METAL AND SO FAR I HAVE ALMOST 16,000 MILES WITH NO PROBLEM FROM THAT...I ALSO FOUND OUT TODAY THAT THE REASON FOR THE HIGH REVS WHEN THE MOTOR IS STARTED IS TO PROTECT THE ENGINE AND CATALYTIC CONVERTER FROM UNBURNED GAS IN THE SYSTEM.....JUST FOR AN F.Y.I....
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Lose the caps lock key, please! My fingers are ringing......
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I was wondering if any S-Type owner could tell me if your Turn Signal is an elegant "Castenet" sound or the typical electronic turn signal sound.

I drove a early-model Lincoln LS that had the elegant sounding signal, but my March 2000 build LS came with the usual, run-of-the-mill sound.

Thanks!
  • jagoffjagoff Member Posts: 2
    working on the new s type i can tell you that the vibration problem may be pirellis, try michilens.
    we have not seen bushing concerns on the s but they
    are an epidemic on the xj8 and xk8. as far as squeaks and rattles they are abundant, remember you are driving a ford.
    every pant on the thing is stamped with a ford oval including the sheetmetal, i just cannot wait
    for these hybrids to go out of warranty as i am gonna be a millionaire. just wait till the $30,000
    contour comes out the x400. then we'll have former
    amc pacer owners coming in whining about their
    squeaks and rattles, why do you think jaguar offers a premium sound system? so you can listen to bach loudly (PS I know that you guys really
    listen to rock when your buds are not around,i found the hidden cd's). but seriously if you want a real jag save up and buy a j or k.
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Member Posts: 91
    I admit, Jagoff, that if you park your S-Type next to a new Taurus or Sable and then approach them from the rear, a brief wave of confusion can wash over you -- as well as a brief moment of doubt that you got snookered out of the $25,000 extra you paid for the S-Type.

I own a 4.0 liter S-Type and travel a lot on business, which means I get repeatedly stuck in rental Tauruses and Sable. But come home, settle into the S-Type's leather, crank the Jaguar 4.0 liter, grab the wheel, and throw the car through any curves you can find at pretty much any speed you care to . . . and trust me, you'll know you ain't in no Ford. The $25K was not wasted, after all.
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    Jagoff,

I have no rattles in my xk8. None.

You may be a little out of date.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    . . .actually a Jaguar is a Ford, as is an Aston Martin or a Volvo.

Ain't mergers/buyouts great?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Not to mention Mazda. Anyone for a Ford Miata?
  • hab1hab1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a New 2000 silver S-Type W/v-6 four months ago.. and as of last week I now own a 2001
    S-type V-8, do to my wife and I bitching about this horrible smell that gave everyone a tremendus headache. So I said what the hell give me the V-8 and I am glad I did.. This baby is a rocketship and still not bad on gas. I admit that getting Jaguar to give me a replacement when the first one had 7,500 miles on it was no easy deal but I never let up because I knew something was wrong with the first one. I threaten them with a law suit. Also for any of you potential Jag buyers do get the premium sound... What a difference.. Unless you plan to never tune in on the radio than the regular sound system is fine. The premiun which I also got on thr 2001 V-8 has (8) speakers, sub woffers & 175 watt pwr. amp. Excellent. I am a soft rock listener and love the premium sound. Another cool feature I got on the replacement was the back up beeping alert.. Lets you know when your within 8" of any object, great feature for my wife..

Well so far so good on the 2001 with 675 miles on it now. I got to test drive the first one for four months. Mines silver and black leather with 35% tinted windows , Love it

Habstar@aol,com
    is not wholly owned by Ford like Jaguar, Volvo, Aston-Martin and Land Rover. Ford only owns part of mazda.
    Greg,
    Please come visit the JAG club message board. It is composed of about 550 members now and most are owners or are shopping for the S-Type. One of our members, Jerry Cooper, actually had the same experience as you did (giving one back and getting another). The board is completely free. You can sign-up at:
    Steve
    I stand corrected.
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    what was the smell?
  • marktsjag1marktsjag1 Member Posts: 3
    I just leased a new 2001 3.0 S-Type which I picked up on 10/20. When I arrived I noticed something missing...THE SIDE MOULDINGS!!! My dealer, White Plains Jaguar, said that the new 2001's where coming in without moldings. They were as shocked as I was! They called the corporate headquarters and where told that the new production models will not have the side moldings and it will not be available at all, not even as an option. What was Jaquar thinking with this ploy??? I am now apprehensive about driving my car ANYWHERE for fear of major dings!!!!
    Also the Reverse Park option that is suppose to be Standard on the 2001 was not included. The brochure says "Available Year End 2000" well a car produced on 9/00 I consider year end! I am definitely going to follow up with Corporate Customer Service. Any suggestions on getting satisfaction???
  • jagoffjagoff Member Posts: 2
    at least i dont think so.i wil find out for sure and let you know. please also keep in mind that some option i.e. rear cup holders are not available in the u.s.
    Year end normally means just that - Nov/Dec, not September. If it's going to be standard with no price increase they may agree to retrofit it for you. If you were told it was standard and didn't get it, you have recourse. Why did you accept the car with these missing if you thought they were included? That's the danger or ordering a car you haven't yet seen.
  • newjagman1newjagman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my new 2001 Jag 3.0 for a few weeks and need some help to some problems. Love the car, glad I chose it over over the E320. Sapphire/Ivory...I get so many compliments it's embarrassing.

1. Wheels-Bridgestones' seem to ride hard. Checked pressure but everything is OK. Heard the Pirelli's don't last long but ride better. Do the Bridgestones ever soften?

2. Vibration-I am cursed with the steering wheel vibration over 50 MPH. Heard it could be tire balance, flat spots (although I have 1K miles), bearings, or steering column itself. Which is it?

3. Rattle-Irritating rattle/creaking noise in the sunroof-only when it is closed.

4. Hood-Misaligned hood on one side...is this fixable?

5. Wood kit- I have ordered 2 kits from Exotic Wood Dash and they do not match the dash (too dark and grain). Anybody else have this issue or did you try another Company?

I want to cut to the chase before I service the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • fhoffmanfhoffman Member Posts: 2
    the vibration you are having is probably, isaid probably due to the tires. I am on my second set of tires, and this has helped the problem. I still get a vibration between 70 and 80 mph.I have taken this problem back to my dealer,but to this point I have been ignored.I guess that Jaguar does not want to be of any further help.I don't think that says much for the company.
    #1. If the hood is not flush with the edge of the nose facia, you can fix this yourself! Just open the hood and on each side of the front cross member, you will notice a threaded post with a rubber disc on top.These act as postive stops,you can turn them up or down which ever is required to make the edge of the hood rest flush with the front facia.If the hood is off from side to side.The gap between the side edge of the hood with the edge of the fenders.I would have the dealer make this adjustment!

The front edge of our S-Type the day I got it home from the dealer,was about 1/8th inch off from the edge of the front facia on the passenger side of the car.It took several tries but my husband got it perfect,turning the post in and out closing the hood checking and turn the post again close the hood check over again and again till you get right!

The Bridgestone`s are not responible for the stiff ride,you must remember that you purchased a luxury SPORTS sedan. The S-Type is intended to ride a little stiffer than most luxury sedans.Within its class that being luxury SPORTS sedans.It has one of the best rides that we`ve experienced.Better than Cadillac STS,BMW-528i,Lexus GS300,Mercedes E320 and its own cousin the Lincoln LS.

The vibration in the steering wheel my husband noticed on a recent trip we made from Michigan > Las Vegas.We clocked 4600 miles in 2-weeks with our S-Type and came home very pleased with the car. He said he noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel which could be felt and seen between 65-75 mph cruising the interstates.Some of these highways had pavement as smooth as silk,he said so it has to be the car.He intends on taking this up with the dealer,when he takes it in with a few other little problems. I let you know if the service dept corrects this and what was done.

The Power Moonroof has not been a problem at all on our S-Type.I am sure the dealer will take care of this,sounds like something is loose or the rubber weather seal strip is bad and may have to be replaced.

SURE HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP OUT SOME!
    #1. If the hood is not flush with the edge of the nose facia, you can fix this yourself! Just open the hood and on each side of the front cross member, you will notice a threaded post with a rubber disc on top.These act as postive stops,you can turn them up or down which ever is required to make the edge of the hood rest flush with the front facia.If the hood is off from side to side.The gap between the side edge of the hood with the edge of the fenders.I would have the dealer make this adjustment!

The front edge of our S-Type the day I got it home from the dealer,was about 1/8th inch off from the edge of the front facia on the passenger side of the car.It took several tries but my husband got it perfect,turning the post in and out closing the hood checking and turn the post again close the hood check over again and again till you get right!

The Bridgestone`s are not responible for the stiff ride,you must remember that you purchased a luxury SPORTS sedan. The S-Type is intended to ride a little stiffer than most luxury sedans.Within its class that being luxury SPORTS sedans.It has one of the best rides that we`ve experienced.Better than Cadillac STS,BMW-528i,Lexus GS300,Mercedes E320 and its own cousin the Lincoln LS.

The vibration in the steering wheel my husband noticed on a recent trip we made from Michigan > Las Vegas.We clocked 4600 miles in 2-weeks with our S-Type and came home very pleased with the car. He said he noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel which could be felt and seen between 65-75 mph cruising the interstates.Some of these highways had pavement as smooth as silk,he said so it has to be the car.He intends on taking this up with the dealer,when he takes it in with a few other little problems. I let you know if the service dept corrects this and what was done.

The Power Moonroof has not been a problem at all on our S-Type.I am sure the dealer will take care of this,sounds like something is loose or the rubber weather seal strip is bad and may have to be replaced.

SURE HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP OUT SOME!

As for the Wood Kit let it go, the car has plenty of wood trim as it is! What do you want a luxury sports sedan or a hunting lodge up north!
  • newjagman1newjagman1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. Hood problem fixed. Turns out that there are 2 "catches" for the hood and if you do not close it properly, one side looks misaligned. After reading all of the vibation comments, my gut tells me it's not the tires...perhaps bushings.

As for the wood kit, I just want to hide the cheap plastic around the radio. Really a shame that Jaguar didn't finish it off properly.

Got an answer on the sunroof from another Jag site-caused by the roof and the deflector. Lube apparently solves the problem.
  • bsudderthbsudderth Member Posts: 6
    I have experienced a series of rattles and squeaks on my 4.0 w/ sports pkg. My dealer has worked very hard to fix all the rattles and he has lubricated door mouldings to successfully stop some squeaks. The car is now almost as quiet as my '98 GS 300 - which has never been "treated for rattles" in 2.5 years.

I had the proverbial vibration at 75-85 on my 4.0 - quite bad. The dealer re-balanced all tires (Pirelli P-Zero's) at 2000 miles and improved the situation about 80%, but it was still there at 80-85 - a little nagging vibration. I was convinced that this vibration is "tire related". I took it back to the dealer at 5000 miles who advised that the tires were really the responsibility of Pirelli and that they would take my car to the Pirelli dealer for me that day (Discount Tire, BTW). When I got the car back that same day, I took it for a freeway spin and the vibration was worse - now showing up at 70-75 and disappearing at 90! I decided to take it to another Discount Tire store where I had bought a set of Pirelli P6000 SportVeloce's for my wife's GS 300. I paid them about $48.00 ($12.00/tire), and they said they would do it right. They worked on these tires for 1.5 hrs and as of this moment, my car is about as smooth as our GS 300 at any speed - No vibration in the steering wheel/column. I'm elated with this result.

Discount Tire advised that these tires "will move" or vibrate themselves if not aligned on the wheel in a certain position. Sounds strange to me, but the dealer said something similar the one and only time he tried to balance them. Discount also advised that the previous balancing was 1/2 oz. off on most of the tires. They deflated all the tires and rotated them by as much as 180 deg., re-mounted and re-balanced. Then they inflated the tires to factory pressures which they advise is important as these tires are ultra-high performance tires similar to "racing" tires.

In any case, the result has been excellent and now worth the effort.

One thing to note is "flat spots". These tires will indeed get flat spots when sitting for several days - maybe just for some hours. I made sure that my tires were "hot" just before this last balance by running them about 20 miles on the freeway. I then went straight to the Discount Tire store and just waited for them to do the job. A bit of a hassle, and I do not know if balancing when warm has anything to do with it, but the result was worth it.

It just seems to me that these ultra high performance tires are difficult to balance due to their construction. On the bushings, etc., I do not believe the S-type has any such problem. I really believe all the vibration problems, at least in models above VIN about 50xxx, are tire related. I hope others can get satisfaction as I have done.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Since you mentioned it, could you compare and contrast your opinions of the S-type vs. the GS300? Quality, power, MPG, handling, interior design, maintenance, warranty problems, all the usual questions. To jump from Lexus to Jag is quite a jump. What made you do it?

Thanks for your time.
  • seatownseatown Member Posts: 6
    i just got done reading Edmunds' first look at the new jag x-type, and i gotta say im a little upset at the use of ford engines in all models of this car. both of the trim levels uses a ford duratec engine, u cant get a jag engine at all in the new x-type. and also the interior has gone cold and uninspiring. looks much like a german car. no beautiful leather or wood. Connolly leather and burl walnut wood trim is what makes Jaguar a Jaguar. i hope the bigwigs in england know what they're doing over there. it looks like they're turning jaguar into an upscale ford.

i have nothing against ford, or even those of you who drive a s-type 3.0, which uses a ford engine. i just think Jaguar needs to remain independent as possible if they want to keep the image that makes Jaguar the most prestigeous cars out there(aside from Bentley/RR).
    The engines are only part ford. The valvetrain and heads are entirely Jaguar developed. As far as Jag engines go, I beleive the old straight-6 AJ6 engine was the last "pure" Jaguar engine, and while it was a good one, the ford derived 4.0 V-8 and 3.0 V-6 are great engines in their own right. And while it would be nice if Ford could give Jaguar cars made of 100% Jag-unique components, from a financial standpoint that simply isn't an option. The S-Type, LS, and Thunderbird are all on the same DEW98 platform (Ford's code name for it), and the mustang and XJ8 are soon to be built on that same chassis. If it were simply a Jag platform, Ford would only have two cars returning their investment in this new platform, instead of six. As it is, Ford is doing all they can to keep Jaguar's image unique, and still trying to turn a profit on the billions invested in the British automaker. It may not be the best way of doing it, but it beats sticking the leaping kitty on the hood of a Continental and trying to tell people it's a Jag.
    The X-type is a small car - similar to the BMW 3-series and intended to be a direct competitor which would explain the germanic characteristics. I doubt very seriously that the Jag straight 6 would fit in the X-type, so they would have had to develop a totally new engine or use the duratec block. As rea98 said, it has Jaguar heads and other components that differentiate it from it's Ford brethren.

The 3.0L duratec V6 in the S-type is much more advanced than the one in the LS which is yet more advanced than the version in the Taurus. About all they share is the casting for the block.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    What makes you think that the X-type does not have the wood and connolly leather? The entire dash is covered in wood, and there is plenty of the connelly leather as well. The interior is very similar to the XK and XJ.
  • cautiouscatcautiouscat Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 4.0 s-type has been great mechanically. A few cosmetic issues - biggest annoyance being the black moldings between the door windows. They get cracks in them - hairline - have to look to see them. The dealer replaced one and a few months later they developed on another panel. This time they are ordering the part - a new one coming in on the 2001 - maybe a different material? Baby the car - no car wash yet in 8 months - can't believe it is something I'm doing. Look at yours for these hairline cracks and tell me if you got them!
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    the dash of the x type is covered (in the pics released a few weeks ago) in dark stained wood. i think the pics are too small to see the dark grain of the wood, but it isnt shiny plastic. this must be a sporty interior version of the car, sort of like the 1995-1999 XJR sedas, with black stained wood and black leather seats. i'd expect the normal non sport versions to have the same color schemes as the XJ and S type.
  • marktsjag1marktsjag1 Member Posts: 3
    I have my new 2001 3.0 S type for a month now. I really love the car, the way it looks, handles, etc. But early on I read about someone having a terrible smell when they turn on the A.C., so bad that Jaguar gave them a new car! Well when I first turn on my A.C. I too get a horrible smell that eventually clears after 10 minutes or so. I assume it has to due with the "newness" of the car and the ducts or tubing involved in the A.C. cooling system. Anyone else have this problem?
  • appealappeal Member Posts: 1
    I've had a new 2000 3.0 S-Type for a couple of months. I've also noticed a very strong odor (a kind of a gasoline odor) within seconds after starting the car. The odor goes away within a few minutes. I'd love to find out what's causing it (and, more importantly, if it's going to continue to be a problem).
    Just a note to invite anyone interested in the most active S-Type discussion group on the Internet: The Jaguar Aficionados Group (JAG).
    It is free to all. You may sign up at:
    You may just read or actively participate.
    Steve
  • maureenrosemaureenrose Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a Jaguar S-type 4.0. Unfortunately the closet Jaguar dealer is in North Carolina about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. Does anyone know if other dealers (i.e. Lincoln) would be able to work on service maintenance or repairs? I'm reluctant to purchase a vehicle where the closet dealer is in another state, but I really do love this car!! Any response would be welcome.
    The vast majority of the Jag and Lincoln parts are different so I doubt if you could count on a Lincoln dealer for warranty service. Check with the Jag dealer about local service. There may be another authorized repair center in your area other than a dealer.
  • mary00mary00 Member Posts: 3
    Black moulding between windows-- My S-type Jag has less than 4000 miles, also has hairline stress cracks on the black moulding - driver side is much worse than the passenger side. The finish is beginning to crack off. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and hope something can be done. Love the car.
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    i heard that the present interior is going to be replaced, but when?
    also, when is the station wagon coming out?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    I understand that no major changes will take place untill after the introduction of the x-tpye next year and the new XJ the year after that.
  • jcooper3jcooper3 Member Posts: 4
    I would consider Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta before I looked elsewhere. They are great!! I have purchased two Jaguars from them. The sales staff is professional and the service can't be beat. Give them a try. Ask for Bob Lowey. The integrity of this dealership is a model for the whole industry.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Routine maintenence can be done anywhere. Warrenty work must be done at a Jaguar dealer. However, inquire at several dealers and see if any of the offer valet pick up and delivery for service appts. Here in PA we pick up and deliver all of our service customeres vehicles if they don't feel like stopping by for service. Also roadside assistance will take care of towing the car to the nearest dealer in a dire situation.