Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• truesdaildoctruesdaildoc Member Posts: 10
    My Caddie registers up to at least 95 (as fast as I've had it up to). From what I can see, there is a digital number one (for 100+) miles per hour as well. That's scary that Ford and Chrysler didn't calibrate their speedometers above 85 on digitals. What was the point of having the dig display for the speedometer then? Also, couldn't they be sued for selling a car that does not accurately register your speed? I know 55 was the speed limit most everywhere back then, but what about Nevada, Arizona, etc. Places where 75 was the speed limit.
    Lets say:
    Speed limit is 75
    You think you're doing 85 (dig speedometer stops there)
    Cop pulls you over for doing 100.
    Difference in 10 miles over and 25 could mean hundreds of dollars not to mention points on a license.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I think even analog speedo's stopped at 85 on many cars.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I remember the analog speedo on my dad's POS 84 Pontiac 6000 stopped at 85. I seriously doubt the car would have gone much faster than that.
    Maybe so on the '84 6000, but by '90 even Pontiac updated their speedometers to 105. Also upgraded the engine from the anemic 2.8 to the 3.1 V-6. it was only a 20 horsepower boost, but it sure made a difference. Also, I seem to remember the older speedo's that went to 85 on the 6000's, were white faced up to 55, then turned yellow up to 70, and then red till 85. Anyone else recall this?
  • divmsmdivmsm Member Posts: 7
    Hi Folks,

I picked up this silver dreamboat about 31/2 weeks ago. I am crazy about it. So comfortable. More features than I have yet been able to use/learn. In merging onto very busy and sometimes fast moving highways near Boston, I cannot get over the smooth help of a V8 - my first 8. Pretty good re gas mileage, unless I use a/c, then mileage goes way down. (I have a fairly good understanding of engines but am not clear as to why using a/c causes gas mileage to go down)

The only complaints I have so far are minimal.

A few questions, why in the world did they mount the seat belts on the side poles of the seats in-
    stead of on the door pillars? You're sitting on the seat and have to reach under yourself to get the long side of the belt. Fairly inconvenient.

I do consider the horn location problematic. I
    restrain my use of the horn but when I need
    it, I want to be able to use it (kid running af-
    ter a ball in the street, car comes at me from side street to main street without stopping, etc.)it seems that if you don't hit the horn on
    the center circle in the steering wheel at the exact spot where the little horn signal is engraved that it doesn't blow. My previous cars
    of past 20 years or so, you could hit anywhere in
    the center circle and they would sound. This re-
    quires taking one's eyes off the road to find the little engraving. Should be improved.

Also, I found that the center console was pretty
    small inside for a car this size. Barely fits 2 pair glasses (reg & sun)my cell phone plug in and radar detector. I do love the way the cupholders recede when not in use.

I need your advice on something. In the next month or so, I have to make a decision re whether
    to pay to get this car "Certified" or not. It will cost me $1495. I am meeting with my sales
    person next week to discuss it, but I'd like to hear the opinions of those of you who may have experience with this. The car has 29,000 original
    miles on it, one previous lease-owner.

I intend to keep this car 10-12 years (I hope),
    so is it worth certifying? What does it get me?
    Is certification different from an extended warranty? I'm one who usually doesn't buy extended warranties on appliances but considering what I imagine the price is for Cadillac repairs, I'm leaning towards doing it. Any advice would be welcomed.

Bernice
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Congratulations on your DeVille!!! They are IMO the BEST sedan on the market today. You'll need your radar detector with the powerful Northstar!!! What interior color do you have? Also, does anyone know if a beige interior is available?
    Austin,
    Yes, very happy with car. DTS interior is a gun metal type gray leather. I like it very much over beiges and other light colors apt to stain. I believe DTS may have come with a lighter interior but I was very happy with this.

I see you're looking at Toyota Sienna. Great car. I have driven it. I just gave up my 2001 Highlander (only 9750 mi.) for the DeVille DTS due to health/access problems only, otherwise would not have traded. Toyotas are great cars.

As an SUV driver for 26 years prior to DTS, re longing for an Axiom,I have driven same.
    Did not like handling at all. Sluggish, felt
    like a battle tank taking highway exit/entrance ramp curves.Very poor head room for me too. Just
    MHO.

Bernice
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Congrats on your Caddy purchase !

I hear ya about using the horn ...Ya gotta press HARD on it. My 02 is as hard to press as my 96 & 90 I had ! Moms 98 too !

The seat belt towers are adjustable up and down ya know. So they won't ride your shoulder.
    MY 01 GM truck has the belts in the seat too but Not adjustable.
    My mom wishes her 98 had them as she is short and the belt rides her and drives her nuts!

Extended warranty ? Hmmmmm.......
    I keep my Caddies 5-6 yrs and have been lucky as far as major repairs. Just normal stuff brakes, tires, oil changes. These new Caddies are pretty complex and if ya keep it a long time hmmmmmm.
    The only major repair my 96 needed was those $2500 front struts....... OUCH!
    So I traded it on a 02!

Good luck keep us posted..............geo
    I don't really understand why running the A/C would affect your mileage much at all either. Here in TN, I run the A/C in my cars nearly 100% of the time in the summer and really do not notice much of a decrease in overall mileage compared to cooler months when it is seldomly on. You sure it's not just those freeway onramp jaunts? :) I had a Cadillac SLS as a rental for a week last summer and I can attest, Northstar power is a addictive! I've driven Auroras with the smaller DOHC V8 and have an Intrigue which has a V6 based on the Northstar and while both of those are impressive engines, the Northstar in the SLS was a class above in terms of how smooth and refined the power delivery was. Enjoy your new ride and keep us posted on it.
    I notice that my SLS is burning more fuel since I am using the A/C more in the hot weather. But I think the average MPG is only down 1 or 2 MPG.
    Heck, My 02 Deville gets 25 mpg. all day long, more on the hiway. Thats if i keep my foot outta it ! AC on or off.

Wish my huge Chevy xcab 4x4 2500 truck would get 15 mpg ! But ya can't snowplow, haul stuff, or tow the camper or boat with the Caddy !......geo
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    The horn is located over a broad area of the air bag cover in a narrow rectangular horizontal pattern. The problem is that the cover is so damn thick & not pliable, that you need Tony Soprano's Baseball Bat to honk the horn. Make a fist & bash, You'll see. As for why using an A/C reduces gas milage...Its because you create additional engine drag (work for the engine) when you turn it on. Putting 2 passengers with their luggage in the car will do the same thing. Since your car is STILL covered by the factory warranty, search the web for GMPP Majorguard offered by ANY GM dealer. Since they have no chance of selling you a car, they will quote you far less for the coverage, than your selling dealer will be willing to go, cuz he figures if you won't buy it at his price, he will make you pay later for after warranty repairs. He doesn't know, that you know about buying them on line with your credit card from ANY GM dealership! (Search under GMPP Majorguard) The policy is cancelable and transferable if you want, and the booklet will come directly from GMPP in about 3 weeks. First time you bring the car in for service though, insist that they download the latest engine computer program into your cars computer. It will make a great big difference in mileage/performance.
  • captkevcaptkev Member Posts: 14
    Hi Guys,
            Just recently purchased a 2000DTS Deville with 30000 miles on it.I am really happy with its ride, handling, and a decent mpg rate. My question is this; Does anyone know how to remove and replace a RH Tailight.Also, is there any sites giving instruction on this? Do any of you know where new or used taillight assy's can be bought at a half decent price? Up here in the North it will cost me approx $420.00 to buy a new one. I have had my car for six weeks now, and believe it or not, during the second week we had it, went shopping at the mall, and while there some Turkey must have nudged the RH back corner with his pickup or SUV, and cracked the red tailight lens. No other damage was evident except some white paint on the taillight lens. The crack is a hairline one about 4" long, and although it is watertight now, will eventually crack right through. Thats why I am seeking some info now about removeing and replaceing it. Any advice is appreciated.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    If you're wanting to look for junkyard replacement for your lens or delay having to get it, try clear GE brand silicon caulk from Lowe's or elsewhere. I believe they have the squeeze tube small quantity available if you don't want to buy the caulk tube that requires a gun to push the caulk.

I pushed some caulk into the crack on the glass headlight on 93 LeSabre from a rock hitting it, smoothed it level with the surface and never did have a leak till I traded it years later.

Got the idea from windshield repair folk who drilled a hole into the windshield where a rock had hit, sucked the air out and pushed in clear silicon. Never had any trouble with coloration or further cracking.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    My dad just bought a deville (o1). Does anyone know the top speed? I believe it cannot be over 113 because that is the speed rating to the tires.
    Barry45rpm,

Took your advice and have been looking around for
    other dealers. Part of it is, there are not that many dealers close to me here to make the price competitive. There are Chevy, Buick & other GM products dealers but not Caddy dealers. I would be concerned that they would not necessariily have the Caddy parts if something went wrong and I'd have to wait.

Reading captkev's post about a tail light costing $420 to replace makes me gulp.(Canadian or American dollars?)

What I am confused about is this: the difference
    between getting this DTS "Certified" and getting
    an "extended warranty". I know that they make a distinction because my saleman told me so. I am
    seeing him on Monday afternoon to hear his ex-
    planation and to make up my mind, so if any of you think that there's something I should know beforehand, I'll be glad for the advice.

Thanks for your comments so far.
    Bernice
    If the DeVille is not a DTS series, then the top speed is probably about 108 MPH. I have not tested my Seville (SLS) to see, but my 1995 Riviera was limited to 108 (more or less). The fuel is cut off at about that speed and does not come back until you slow down to about 105.
    Thanks to imidazol & divmsm for the comeback regarding the taillight on my 2000 DTS. Will keep in mind the crack repair idea for future, and the $ price I listed was cnd $. But the respective price is same in both countries, Except, you can buy my light with your dollar 50% cheaper. I have also checked out a few used auto parts suppliers, Cnd, and found that they are pretty scarce to come by. Finding out a little more each day, like my taillights are LED'S, and can only be replaced by a whole tailight assy. Lens only cannot be replaced ? Were all Devilles produced with LED tailights and upper trunk lid? Thats what I was originally trying to get the info on; has anyone had experience changing one of these units, and how much interior trunk removal of parts is required.
    To anyone else reading, this is a great site and I enjoy reading all the mail. Believe it or not my Cadillac dealer passed on the website address to me, telling me if I want to read "real letters" from owners, thids is the site.
    Thanks all
    captkev
    IF your LEDs in your taillight are dead. Check over to http://www.caddyinfo.com There is a guy over there that rebuilds them and sells them at a fraction of the cost of new with exchange ..................geo
    The Majorguard plan can be purchased from any GM dealer selling any brand of GM car anywhere in the USA. The work will still be performed at the Caddy dealer of your choice, even if you didn't buy the policy there, NOT at the dealer you purchased the plan from. It is an extended WARRANTY from GM to YOU, of the ORIGINAL warranty, and the Caddy dealer will gladly do any work you are entitled to because he is getting paid for it by GM like any new car warranty. All you deprived him of is the big profit/inflated price he wanted to sell you the policy for. The dealers get charged a fee for the policy based on the make & model of the car it is to cover. They are free to re-sell the policy to you for whatever price they can get. Walk into any dealer & ask them...or e-mail one that sells them on line. In my experience, when you are buying a new car, the 1st price they ask for the warranty is twice what they pay for it...anywhere less than that is a better deal. Make sure its Majorguard & zero deductable... There are other plans available to the dealer too which they may sub when a customer "presses too hard". The policies are cancellable & will be refunded based on how long you had it. GM is pretty fair on this.
    I've bought from them (I live in NY) Nice price, good service. www.gmotors.com
    Checked out the site at caddyinfo, found Logan Diagnostics, but they only rebuild the top trunk brakelights so far. Good try, and I keep building up more info as I go.
    Thanks
    Drop them a e-mail......I read over there that they were gonna do the sides too.......geo
    Anyone know why Edmunds lists the '90 deville at 71.7 inches wide, and the '91 at 73.4 inches wide? Aren't they the same body? The length is listed at the same (205.6). Is the '91-'93 truly wider than the 89-90?
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I have noticed recently that when I hit the accelerator hard on my 98 Deville, a puff of gray smoke appears from the exhaust pipes.
    The car has only 31,000 miles on it and am wondering if this is typical of the Northstar engine or something I should be concerned about.
    If there is something to be concerned about what
    would be the possible problems to have checked?
    How often do you HOT ROD it? My mom just putts along in her 98. Shes got around 40k on hers.
    It puffs a bit when I take it out and whomp on it!
    Only uses less than a qt. of oil between 4k changes. My 96 used to EAT oil. MY 02 Deville uses about 1/2 qt. between changes. Don't puff either cause I am always whomping on it.

Especially off stop lights or hiway on ramps blowing away unsuspecting lexus, mb,etc. owners.

NORTHSTAR POWER ROCKS !.............geo
    I do a moderate amount of hot rod driving, change the oil about every 3200 miles and 3 1/2 months.
    Am burning about 1 quart of oil every thousand miles, about average for this version of Northstar engine. I have been using a quart of Resilone as my first quart between oil changes.
    My average miles per gallon is currently about 22
    in town and 27 on the highway, again average for this model. I use premium gas as recommended by Cadillac. I am wondering if I might need a new pcv valve given the smoke from the exhaust, the car went into service in December 1997. Any feedback always appreciated.
    I use Rislone on a higher mileage engine only occasionally to help remove any sludge or shellacing that has precipitated out. I think adding it after the engine has burned off a quart
    of the new oil change increases your oil consumption. The base of Rislone is about 5W oil. That will burn off easier than the 30W effective in your regular oil.

I suggest trying the Rislone one time as a quart of your new oil change and not adding any later. I used it about 20 000 miles apart in my 3800 engine after 80 000 miles. I believe the Rislone used to contain more and more effective additives than standard oil years ago; but now the oils are so well-formulated they contain similar additive packages. Change your oil at 2000 miles which keeps fresh additives in the oil pan for a long period of time and you've done the same as adding the Rislone.

I've read that puff of smoke upon hard acceleration is due to carbon build-up. I've seen a few pre-2000 Northstars do this when they are "romping on it." Seems I also read that premium unleaded(which pre-2000s require) can cause carbon build up. For the record, I've also seen Infiniti Q45s due this upon hard acceleration.
    I read USA Today at the Phila. motel on Thursday about not needing premium fuel unless the engine was designed to run on it. The article said that the premium fuels leave more deposits behind. That may be the puff of dark smoke? not blue? The deposits also could be in the exhaust system, them when you tromp it, they're blown out.

I want to thank all who replied to my message 1251. I drove the car about 150 miles today and based on the information provided here and the cars performance I am convinced that all is ok with my 98
    Deville. The car got 27.5 avg miles per gallon on the open road which tells me all is well with the car. The smoke factor didn't even catch my attention as I drove along.

Can anyone who may have owned my vintage of Northstar (98) and now ownes the 2000-03 version
    provide a comparison as to how they feel about the current Northstar? I am aware of the fact that the new Northstar can be driven on Regular fuel, and that my engine requires premium. I would be very interested in knowing whether there
    is a difference in acceleration performance in the newer engine. The sales brochures give the same 0-60 mph figures for my engine and the new ones. As I recall top speeds have increased on the new Northstar. Any feedback much appreciated.
    FOLLOW UP TO MESSAGE 1249-- I contacted Logan Diagnostics re my "Taillight" problem. Dave Logan sent back e-mail letting me know they have developed a repacement unit and exchange system. I will be in further discussion with him. Anyone else needing LED type replacements, this is a good company to contact,and at decent price's. Take care.--------captkev.
    I have a 2002 SLS. I did have a 98 Aurora before. As for fuel, my owners manual says that the engine will run on 87 octane (regular), but for maximum performance, premium is better. So I have been using premium. I should experiment with a tank or two of regular perhaps.
    My 96 used to stall, knock and ping on reg. gas.
    My girl used to cheap out and use regular. I even tried runnnig colder AC plugs. NO help there but it did quiet down the pinging. I always used prem.

My 02 Base Deville runs fine on reg. I noticed NO difference using premium in it. .................geo
  • mphillips3mphillips3 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Cad deville that has cold start
    knock. Have 32,000 miles on it and this
    problem started around 20,000 miles. Dealer
    has water and chemically injection into
    cylinders. Lasted for 2,000 miles.
    Has anyone have this problem? If you have,did you
    solve it? Using Mobile one premium gas since
    new.
    Thanks!
    mphillips3
    Is you CSK happening in the summer months also ?
    I have the famous CSK in the winter only in my 01 Chevy truck. I complained to dealer and got a GM extended powertrain warranty for free !
    They tried that "top end soak deal" on it. NO help there.

My 02 Deville is quiet as a mouse winter or summer.

Complain to dealer if under warranty...Maybe they and GM will extend your warranty if ya complain a lot NICELY ! Worked for me....Good luck....geo
    nicely
  • 456ttt456ttt Member Posts: 13
    So in late July I received a brochure from Cadillac which had the $5,000 rebate. I spoke with the Cadillac incentives people and they told be about $1,000 in dealer cash. After GM spoke with the dealer, they told me the $1,000 could not be combined with the $5,000. OK so far. So I bought the DHS and then last week another brochure comes showing the $1,000 in Dealer / Customer cash that started on August 1 - 4 days days after I took delivery on 7/28. I feel as if I've been duped out of $1,000 and Cadillac to this point isn't willing to do anything !! Would you have some advice ?? (I've bought 3 Cadillacs in the last 3 years - is this quality customer service ??)
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    It seems like the dealerships are not always up on the latest incentives that are mailed directly to customers. I've walked into a GM dealer with a certificate in hand and they acted as if they had no idea the certificates were out. Of course they honored it (it wasn't their money) but the fine print usually says whether or not a particular incentive can be combined with others, and the effective dates. Since they told you about the $1,000 before you bought the car it seems that they should have honored it or at least explained that it wasn't until August 1. Unfortunately GM is not like Best Buy with a price protection guarantee so you may be out of luck. If you complain enough and both parties are reasonable about it maybe you'll get some free oil changes, but I doubt you'll get the $1,000 back. It stinks but good luck anyway.

BTW as I just wrote to another frustrated "loyal" GM owner, loyalty got you the $5,000 incentive but it won't get you much else.
    I have an annoying rattle in the drivers side door in my 98 Deville. The strange part is that it only does this when the outside temperature is above about 60 degrees. Has anyone else with this model had a similiar problem? How did you fix? Any ideas or suggestions to fix?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Well, in the dealer's defense, it came about after you bought the vehicle, and GM keeps us in the dark about these things to prevent sandbagging.
  • rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    Although I must say I have had absolutely nothing wrong in the operation of my 2002 Deville, they have kept me entertained with their recall notices.
    This latest one, the fourth, has to do with a change out or modification to the drivers door lock "to enhance security". Has anyone had this done yet?
    I am afraid that each time they mess with the car on these recalls they scratch or screw up something so if you've had this done did they get it done properly without the dealer doing other damage (did they have to take the interior door out).
    How have you other people been effected by these earlier "fixes"?
    My 02 Deville has had only 1 recall from GM.
    It was something to do with flashing the computer for emission reasons and about a possible engine miss or stalling.
     Took 15 minutes !
    Got to ride a new CTS while I waited.....

Aside from a few oil changes thats my only shop time!.................geo
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    Any idea when DeVille will have major change? Thanks
  • wilburbudwilburbud Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a '91 DeVille (that I'm LOVING) and the keyless remote is partially broken -- by which I mean that it still works, but the back panel that contains the loop for the keychain to hang onto is broken. I just called my local dealer and was told that it normally costs up to $200 to replace the entire key fob. They told me that I can't just replace the little back piece of plastice that would probably only cost a few dollars. Is this good information? If so, why? Since the thing comes apart, it seems that I should be able to just replace the plastic and not have to bother with replacing the entire thing with all the programming and whatnot.
  • rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    I had this done as well but my around town mileage went from 17 to 13 afterwards. Did anyone else notice any mpg changes?
    YUP, same recall for me too. Haven't noticed ANY MPG loss tho.
    I wasn't even gonna take it in. But the fine print on the notice said if NOT done...Future warranty work would be voided !
    Did you notice on your recall notice?
    ............geo
    Did not notice any change in fuel consumption - I average about 25 MPG this summer, but mostly highway to and from work (10 miles).

The deVille was new in 2000, so major restyle would probably occur after 2005. The Seville will be all new for 2005, but would be an early 2005 model. Perhaps a really new DeVille (RWD) could happen in 2007. But that is speculation on my part.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    From what I have read in Automotive News, the Deville will be restyled for 2006, but remain on the same FWD G body platform and be renamed DTS. A RWD Deville is likely later in the decade.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    You would think that you could just replace the plastic part of the keyfob, but noooooo. Not from GM. Try eBay if you're into that, someone's always hawking keyfobs there. Not sure how common one for a '91 would be though...
    cars at junkyards. You might be able to pick up one there and pop the back off and replace yours, as long as the shape is the same. The innards wouldn't even have to necessarily be compatible with your transmitter...