Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• philly7philly7 Member Posts: 94
    Cadillac Roadside replaced my battery and Positive cable last week (under warranty, of course) The tech told me that sometimes the factory overtightens the positive retaining bolt going into the side of the battery causing it to puncture the wall and subsequently leak acid. It is the two copper rings one on the battery and one on the cable, that make the connection. Eventually, the corrosion destroys the lead and the battery dies.

I have to say, the tech diagnosed this immeadeitly and took care of the whole thing in under an hour in my driveway.

Gotta love Roadside assistance!
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    I used to be concerned about "oil dissapearance" on my 2000 Deville, but read on this board to let the stick get to midway between the add/fill line by itself, and then keep an eye on it. It never went any lower before the usual 4000 mi oil change, and I guess that's where it sinks to and just stays there.
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    Aunt Nina's car is a great low milage perfect 1999 DeV....hovever, do yourself a BIG favor. Before you buy it DRIVE the new model...2000 or 2001 Deville. Trust me on this one, please. You will be amazed at the diference between the cars. For a few thousand more now, tho stretch, you be about to enjoy the best Cadillac ever, and not be buying another for years...Robin, even Shop for a new 2000 DeV they are discounting now Please, drive a new model before buying Aunt Nina beauty. I been driving Cadillac all my life. Others may want to add their comments to mine. What say, fellas? TAMCO
  • theyus38theyus38 Member Posts: 3
    We have over 10,000 miles (trouble free)on our 2000 DTS. Great car. Agree with Tamco
    This aint your father's Cadillac...Big, tight, quiet, performance, fit & finish! Go for the 2000 or '01 if u can swing it. ...Its a new breed.
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    I WILL drive a 2000. I'll be getting the final payoff amount she wants this week. I'll look at the new ones too and see what the $$$ difference is.

Sounds like the 2000 is a MUCH better car. Maybe thats why its such great deal?

thanks to all for the response

Rob
  • frandrum2frandrum2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience with remote starters for 2000 (or earlier) Devilles? I am thinking about those cold rides home after a long day at the office. Does Cadillac offer one?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Frandrum, I, too have been looking for a satisfactory unit to and to my 2001 DSH and have found a few. Howver, none allow for the auto-set seat feature to operate. I have the auto start feature on our 1997 Tahoe and love it. Besides heating the car in winter , we find it even more useful in hot weather to COOL car. The unit iI found so far are in the $300.00 range...and I am continuing the search. How about it fellas, anyone find I auto start unit that they recommend????? Tamco
    Sorry, I did not answer fradrum question comlpetely...No, Cadillac DOES NOT OFFER auto unit and are aftermarket units...TAMCO
  • pfergypfergy Member Posts: 7
    Be careful when shopping for a remote. I was looking at one for my 97 mustang and another customer was in the store trying to resolve major problem with his. any vehicle (like my mustang) that has a computer chip in the key for security will not work with a remote unless you do major rewiring. the remote starts the car without the key, the computer registers that it was started without the key with the security chip, and shuts the car down within a matter of seconds. this problem caused the other guy to have to have his vehicle reprogrammed. I passed on the remote even though I really wanted one. Just something you need to watch for.
  • bockscarbockscar Member Posts: 3
    Our 2000 DHS is back at the dealer for the third time for this problem. For a week or so before, the car will ever so slightly vibrate. Then when you are slowing down (braking or coasting)for a stop light or even going around a curve,the car will stall dead with no shaking, vibration or warning lights or sensor messages....just plain dead. So far we have been lucky and this hasn't happened on the interstate. Any ideas? Service just keeps "replacing all the sensors as we can't pinpoint which one it is".
    Also, in response to one prior posting on paint pealing on the 92 or 94 model, our 2000's grill has lost most of its paint.
  • dmarcariandmarcarian Member Posts: 3
    I rented two devilles in the last week, and the last one I rented was great as far as road noise, but the wind noise got pretty bad at any speed over 75 MPH. Is this common for Devilles? I loved the car. Smooth riding, super fast, love the V8 sounds! It seemed the the wind noise in this deville was worse than other cars I had driven. Is there anything you can do about wind noise? Anyone know?
    dm
    Solution: "Avoid eating beans, beer and onions"...sorry, I just could not help myself, altho I know your concern was serious!
  • jardreyjardrey Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 1998 Deville a year ago and have had 4 instances since then of a dead battery after sitting unused for about 7 days ( the same as #307 above). Dealer can't find problem. Does anyone have an idea as to what recourse I have with the dealer? It is still under warranty.
    Had a check engine light going on for a day or so, then go off for a day or so, then come back on....Dealer's RO says: Code 101 Mass Air Flow...
    Diagnosis & reprogram PCM. What does reprogram PCM mean?? What is a PCM? (I think I know what a mass air flow sensor does.)
    Pollution Control Module (I think?). What year and model Caddy is it?

Have you replaced your air filter lately? If not, it may need it. If so, did you remember to reconnect the contacts between the wires coming out of the filter housing and the wire harness? There may be a fault in this connector.
  • jrlindjrlind Member Posts: 3
    Rob, you had inquired about purchasing a 99 Deville for approximately $26,000. I notice that the local Caddilac dealers (Houston)are advertising 2000 Deville program cars for between 27K and 30K, depending on options. The newer body style for a couple of thousand more is probably a better buy
    Its a 2000 DeVille...& Why would a PCM need to be reprogrammed?
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    The only problem with those 2000 program cars is they may have been rentals where as the 1999 model the other guy was considering has a known "clean" past. Although I'll admit, it would tempting to go with the 2000 just because I like the new style alot better.
    Well again the sensors were replaced for the third since March of this year. Seems there is a problem with the sensors for 2000 and 2001 per the dealer but the factory needs one year of repeated problems before a recall is made(???). Has anyone else had a problem with stalls or the sensors? Perhaps the sensor problem is the source of the #329 through #332 questions above on the "check engine soon" issue.
    Dealer insinuated that we may be either disinterested in the car or perhaps trying to get out of our lease for financial purposes. Thank goodness that: 1. The computer had our 5 visits for 5 factory defects listed; and 2. I can rely on my 7 month old 2001 Infinity which has yet to go back for even an oil change
    Every time I hear of problems with idling ingition chips, sensors,wind noise or oil usage with the 2000's; I am certainly glad I waited for the 2001 DHS as I have experinced not such problems after 5400 miles.. early problems seem to have been solved . I am sure these problems can and will be re-solved by Cadillac and their dealers. Keep asking dealers for updated solutions, insist on the new updates to fix your problems....solutions exsist. This new designed Cadillac is just great.....the 2001 DHS isbest CAR I have ever owned by far! TAMCO
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Tccad1, I just found a reply you sent to me back in October saying that Devilles would not be going RWD eventually but keeping their FWD configuration. Sevilles on the other hand would be keeping their eventual migration to RWD. Considering that both platforms are going to be Sigma based one day, doesn't that sound a bit strange? This would make more sense to me if the Deville was going to continue to be based on platforms with lesser GM cousins. Has GM changed their mind about the Deville on Sigma?

I'm also a little perplexed since nearly everyone I know thinks that the Deville must go back to RWD in order to properly compete with the big sedans of its competitors (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, even Lincoln). I know that FWD Caddys are popular in snow-bound states, but that would be a bigger excuse for doing something like AWD. Normally if given the choice of equals, I'd just choose a RWD STS over a FWD DTS. But since I really am seven feet tall, Sevilles are not an option for me.

Comments?
    Yes, I had to have a check engine light situation repaired, but dammit, the 2000 Deville is an awesome car! So what if you have an Infinity that hasn't been back yet...(If infinity is soooo perfect, why do they have a service department if all they needed was oil change bays?) This Caddy is big, quiet, get awesome MPG and is admired EVERYWHERE. When I drive it, I don't feel the inner door panel on my left arm and leg, and the console on my right side. So a sensor has to be serviced. BTW the service department at my dealer is so opulent, and efficient that I actually like to go there, not to mention that they always give me a 2001 Caddy to use for the day. (of course I'm a tipper.)
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    check the plunger switch in the front door jamb.Especially the drivers side. If its plastic it may be bad. Mine was bad and did not turn off the radio and antenna or interior lights. My wife never noticed but i did . Had to tell the caddy dealer cuz they couldn't find the dead battery either. I switched them side to side problem solved. then dumb dealer replaced them both with steel ones. this a problem in the great frozen north. check it out its easy and cheap no 80.00 caddy dealer lookin and guessing with your money.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Sorry thats 80 dollars an hour and mine is a 96 Deville.
    because the plunger is plastic in the winter water runs by it and it freezes and breaks internally . So it moves in and out so you would never know it.
  • firstymdtsfirstymdts Member Posts: 2
    i love my 2000 dts and HATE the service problems. with only 7900 miles, i've had it in 4 times for static on the radio - nothing works.

last week the power steering pump went out and tonight the battery light came on twice and it stalled out three times completely.

from the delivery date it's had an idle problem that the dealer says is widespread and a fix is coming soon. that was since february.

anyone else experiencing similar problems? to top it off, the salesman and service guys are defensive and apathetic. i've owned volvos, audis, and infinities - never had these types of problems. is this the "american made" deal rearing it's ugly head? but in the end i have to say i LOVE driving this car, when it's not in for service.
    I had to have the rear glass replaced on my 2000 (early Build)DeVille. There were many microscopic breaks in the defroster grids which when turned on wiped out the FM signal on all but the strongest signals. Newer back glass have 4 brown dots on the passenger side up near the top to mark where the dealer should mount the OnStar exterior antenna. Early glass doesn't. When the back glass is dewed up one morning, look for poor defrosting or lines that don't defrost at all.
  • jim0011jim0011 Member Posts: 7
    I just leased a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI ; it is one month old with 600 miles on it (I think 19 miles when I picked it up).

Friday night (12/08) I was at the movies with a friend of mine. Moments after starting the car to leave it was determined that my car is on fire! It burnt most of the upper rear portion of the engine block area; the rear half of the intake manifold (or engine) shroud burnt away also. I’m afraid a great deal of that plastic/chemical smell is now entrenched in my interior. One of the firemen had told me, with a qualification he was not trying to be bias in any way, “they” will try to tell me anything but two things would be for sure. He said the car in all probability would never be the same electrically (something about heat traveling along wires) and the smell would always be there.

The reason I’m on here with this story is that I’m looking for someone that has had a similar incidence as mine and could give me some feedback as to the details of their experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I’m am posting this in a number of sedan areas to try and get as much response/help with this as I can, I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause.
    Your trusty fireman is right, at least about the smell.

Depending on the insurance regulations in your state, I would let the insurance company fight it out with the manufacturer. If you leased the car through GMAC (or if you have gap insurance on your lease) and didn't put any money down on the lease, than you should be in good shape. Let the car go away and start over. You probably have that right worked into your lease in the Disruption of Service section. (aka Loss of Use).

My advise, stop playing around with Pontiacs and lease a new Deville DTS. You won't regret it!!

Good Luck.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    Any ideas what caused the fire?
    Thanks for your comments/advise. If all involved decide to give me back my money I may take your "advise" literally!
    All I know is when I opened the hood the fire was located at the alternator on the engine block side.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    That sounds like a slam dunk "manufacturers' defect" claim if I have ever heard one. I assume that you did NOTHING under the hood of the car that could be the proximate cause of the fire??

I would get on the phone to GM and let them know that you understand that things like this "happen", but I would let them know in no uncertain terms that unless they feel like paying their lawyers more overtime, they need to make this right for you. You showing some interest in leasing another GM product could help this process along.

Good Luck.
    Since my PCM reprograming, MPG are up to 17.3 from 12.5 around town w/ lite, local hiway driving and the idle is smoooooth.
    Well guys, I finally picked up my brand spanking new 2001 Cadillac Devilled DTS with all of 10 miles on it. All options, except Adaptive Seats, were ordered on this black on black baby. One minor glitch out of the gate though; they couldn't get On star to function. I think it is an antenna problem, but they are going to look into it on the 26th.

Otherwise, the car is absolutely spectacular. I test drove a loaded DTS in October of '99 but it still amazes me how sophisticated this car truly is. I drove it on a road around a large lake (27 miles) near my home which is notorious for being poorly lit. The Night Vision is amazing. Light is not picked up at all, but the tires and exhaust glow like they are on fire. I still haven't grasped all the functionality around the Navigation System yet, but the sound system is earth shattering. One observation. While I haven't really given it the spurs yet, I have notice that the 0-60 performance is not as strong as my '98 d'Elegence. I think it has to do with the 87 octane gas. I read somewhere that for optimal performance you need to use premium fuel. I will try that on my next tank.

Thanks to all the guys (and gals?!) on this site who have shared their experiences and helped keep me salivating for the better part of a year. Especially to Tccad, Tomco, Rob, and barry45rpm who's consistent posting have been very helpful.

BTW, the final price after all was said and done was $51,020 which is $500 under invoice and $5287 under MSRP! Not bad all things considered
  • koapsmithkoapsmith Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '97 DeVille(base) and was told by the dealership that running Plus(mid-grade 89) gas is okay. The manual and all talk on the boards indicate that premium is the gas that should be used. They said unless there was some knocking that 89 is fine. I am in NC if that makes any difference in the gas(I have heard that different ares of the country have "better" gas than others). Anyway, I love the car so far and wondered if anyone has any comments about that model year.

Thanks
  • toombsrtoombsr Member Posts: 3
    I think I need to direct this questions to TCCAD1, as I think you are a dealer, correct? We are looking to buy a 2001 Cadillac DHS in the next couple of months, but have a concern about the rear seat side air bags. I know that you should not have children in the front seat of a car with dual front air bags, but what concern is it of the rear seat side air bags. What are the recommendations? Are there safety concerns? Can you disable them with a switch as is possible with the right front? We have six nephews, 12-3 years old and are concerned because we like to have them travel with us at times. It seems that it would be nice to have the bags, but not if they are dangerous for children in the back seat.

Thanks. I would appreciate your reply.
  • jll1930jll1930 Member Posts: 5
    This message first occured at about 2500 miles. took it to dealer and they said GM says
    drive it for 5 miles and if error does not reoccur then reset code and forget i; this is what they did. It has now happened again at 4,000 miles. As I leaned against LF wheel while washing car, I heard a
    loud metallic click. Does this sound like a strut problem? Has anyone had experience with
    this type of error message.
    Otherwise it is the best car I have ever owned.
    JLL1930
  • jll1930jll1930 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry I didn't mention Model. It is a 2001 DHS.
    jll1930
    Well here I am again, posting this soon after my Dec 6th postings #313 and 322. The "service engine soon" light came on again today and the car is running really rough again. This is getting to be worst then my late 70's GM cars.
    Poster #325 barry45rpm stated that he was given a 2001 loaner. On December 6th, they gave my wife a 2001 loaner and that also had the "check engine soon" light on with less than 5,000 miles. They said not to worry about it. Must be a new feature for Cadillac to remind you that you have to keep bringing the car back.
  • snodogsnodog Member Posts: 12
    In response to jll1930, my Dad bought a 2001 DHS in November. When he picked up the car , the Service Stability System light was on. (Ticked off the salesman). He took it over to the service area and they fixed it within an hour. The service manager said a wire to one of the sensors was loose (not sure exactly what sensor). It was a relatively pain-free repair and has been okay since.
  • ashur1ashur1 Member Posts: 8
    Wanted to give an update on my love-hate relationship. This morning my wife dropped me off at work and took the Deville (the object of my love-hate) to the dealer. She said they were really jammed and that the service manager recognized my car right off. The problems this time are: no heat in driver's seat, door trim at window on passenger side loose (again), noticed fabric on sun visor is pulling away from molding (I too think they are obstructive), noticed perfectly circular small hole in leather on driver's seat right under seat belt assembly (don't know if that is intentional, can't image why). This is the car that has been repainted because of botched factory paint, had the self closing vents, had wood trim replaced, had the check engine light problem, a cruise control malfunction, and still has the rough idle! Will there ever be a fix for the rough idle? Well at least is has not been struck by lightning, or caught on fire. I enjoy reading all of the posts. Thanks for listening.
  • woodybuickwoodybuick Member Posts: 33
    Boy did you get lucky..I just happened to check this board as a fluke (this is tccad, btw). I now longer work for Cadillac ( =( ), but I think I can still answer some questions. Rear seat airbags are safe for children because of how and when they inflate. They do not come directly out towards the occupant like front seat airbags do. They inflate towards the front of the car and only come on when the sensors in the B-pillar (the pillar between the driver and rear side doors) are activated. This means that in a front end collision, the side airbags will not go off. Because of where the bags are located (in the stitching) they will at most graze the passengers instead of stopping them. Try to imagine you running for a wall. What will hurt less? Someone pushing a pillow into your face from in front of you, or someone sliding a pillow in front of you from the side. I hope this makes sense.

As far as shutting off the airbags, only about 5% of all dealers in the US will do this. I do not recommend it at all and have refused to sell a car to people that want me to disconnect them. Not a good idea unless you have a two seater like a Corvette and need to carry a small child.

Feel free to have all six nephews ride back there, just not at the same time!
  • toombsrtoombsr Member Posts: 3
    TCCAD1, thanks a lot for your explanation on the rear side air bags. I feel more comfortable about it now. Even if the 6 could fit in the seat at the same time, they couldn't sit still. It would be a long trip i'm afraid. We appreciate your help.
    Toombsr: To back up what Tccad had to say about the rear air bags, I noticed in my owner documentation that there are special guides for the shoulder belts in the rear especially designed for smaller stature passengers. This keeps the passenger from sliding out from under the shoulder belt on impact (side or front) and keeps them from being injured by an inflating air bag. This should add to your piece of mind regarding your post # 339

Jll1930: Regarding the Service Stability Indicator, I had that problem with my '98 d'Elegance. It turned out to be a bad Steering Wheel Position Sensor which took all of an hour to replace. I never had a problem after that. Good Luck with the DTS.

Koapsmith: I wouldn't run that engine on anything less than 92 octane fuel (93 if you can get it in your area). The previous version of the North star was tuned for high octane fuel and will not perform properly on anything less. Just my 2 cents.

ashur1: I am truly sorry to hear of all the problems you have had with your new Deville. Unfortunately, there are always going to be a few cars that are just dogs from the factory. I guess we all pray that our car won't be in that group, but it is always a roll of the dice. I think this is true with any mass-produced vehicle (any mass-produced anything for that matter.)
    Good Luck.
    Ashur, Philly7's comment are so true. I too am sorry to hear of your problem , trust service dept can repair or replace soon. I had "Check Oil" and the "Check Washer Fluid Level" Message come on twice each on my 2001 DHS since delievery in mid August....However, in all four cases, fluid levels were ok. In all cases Messages turned off when the ingnition key was turned off. They never came back on????? GRINCH did it???? I quess I will mention this problem next time I take the car in for service.....probably nothing. All in all 2001DHS super doper wheels. Happy Holidays to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR! TTCCAD:BEST OF LUCK, {WOODYBUICK) with the new Job. TAMCO
  • wowserwowser Member Posts: 11
    Is this another group that is no longer active and a new one that I can't find been opened? Seems like these things vanish every few months with no notice.
    Wowser: I think this conference is still open for business. Some of the regular floks have been spending more time posting in the "Cadillac Meets Here!" conference in the Sedans Catagory.

I guess we are in some kind of lull here.
    Philly, I'm to lazy to re-type. TAMCO
  • wowserwowser Member Posts: 11
    Just an update.

New Years Eve, 10:00 am.. Service Engine Soon light comes on. 7:30 p.. Ice storm has glazed the DFW area. Engine stalls at busy intersection complete with construction and two lane closures. Refuses to start.

Call Roadside Service who promises a tow. Meanwhile cops show up so we are going to push car out of the intersection.

Car starts and runs fine 200 feet to gasoline station.

Time passes. (LOTS of intervening story but nothing pertinent other than the royal hassle of trying to locate a rental on New Years Day. Thanks Cadillac, for letting me know that I am free to try and find one and you will reimburse me up to $35.00 a day. Thank God for big airports).

Dealer checks codes and replaces both crankshaft position sensors. Car runs fine for 5 miles and Service Engine Soon light reappears. Return to dealer. Now says Catalytic efficiency low. (Did you know they have 290 codes just for the Service Engine Soon light? How many total problem codes are there anyway?).
    Ordered Cat Converter. No estimate on delivery. Dealer said last one took two months due to back orders.
    Pray for me.