Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    Wowser< Sorry to hear of your BIG problems...best of luck....how about contacting Cadillac's ZONE MANAGER for help? TAMCO
  • philly7philly7 Member Posts: 94
    Sorry Wowser. That just plain stinks. I agree with Tamco. Get your Zone's Service Manager, (I think they call them Client Advocate's now!) involved now. This will lessen the frustration factor on your end and it will let the dealer know that you aren't messing around! Copy the dealer on all correspondence with the Zone Manager and visa-versa, this way you are all on the same page. It is my experience that this action will, in the long run, make things go a lot quicker. Good Luck!
  • wowserwowser Member Posts: 11
    I can't fault anybody on this end. I'm pleased with the dealer's effort and I believe those people are doing all they can to get this puppy working right. (It runs okay now; just isn't pollution-efficient.)

I blame the design and build people for a poor car.
    I wish roadside service had access to cars when normal Enterprise offices are closed, but I can sympathize with how hard that would be when you only need a few cars nationwide and never know where that will be.
  • davidp7davidp7 Member Posts: 1
    So it seems I am not alone. My DTS has been in the shop for warranty repair on several different occasions:
    Check Oil level Light goes on from time to time
    Car stalled out in traffic, chip replaced
    Fluid leak, dealer tried everything but could not find leak but it miracously stopped after the visit.
    Dashboard not secured to rest of car, I went over a bump and it sounded like a 1972 pickup.
    Radio and climate controls black out from time to time. Told not to bring it in unless it was doing it at the time. Of course when I re start problem gone.
    Heated seat did not work, had to order part, took 2 weeks, that is where my car is today.

Another tribute to American fit and finish.

I am thinking about trading it in for a Town Car.

Any suggestions or advice?
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    If your enjoy the way your Deville droves, you'll want to skip the T-car. It's much more boaty feeling. And build quality will be no better.
  • jll1930jll1930 Member Posts: 5
    I have seen this error again on my 2002 DHS. Has anyone else seen this? The last time the dealer drove the car 5 miles and reset the code since it did not reoccur.
    JLL1930
    The problem is probably the steering wheel position sensor. Have them check it again.
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    I traded in a Linclon Cartier on my 2001 DHS. There is NO comparision. Insist the dealer gets your car into specs...in the long run you will be much happier. TMCO
  • saki2saki2 Member Posts: 1
    tHESE POSTS ROTTED OUT FROM THD INSIDE. tHERE IS ONE OF THOSE FAKE CONVERTIBLE ROOFS BUT THE ROT IS DOWN NEAR THE WINDSHIELD. NEED COMPLETE REPLACEMENT BOTH SIDES. ANYONE ELSE?
    It would be a lot easier to read your post with the cap lock off.

Which "posts" are you referring to. Front (A) Middle (B) Rear (C).

Either way, I have never heard of rot occurring there in a relatevly new car. I wonder if the Roadster Roof was factory or after market. It must have had pockets where water could be retained.

Good Luck.
  • mcfinsermcfinser Member Posts: 7
    2000 DTS has had a con;tinuing dead battery problem since 1200 miles. Dealer has had car since 11/28/00 and cannot ;find problem. Has gone to area rep to start process for replacing vehicle. Has anyone else gone through replacement process?
  • neals1820neals1820 Member Posts: 13
    Our 98 DeVille with 26,000 miles is burning 3 qts. of oil every 6,000 miles. Dealer ran a consumption test and wants to perform a "Carbon Treatment". Has anyone had any experience with a carbon treatment? Is 3 qts every 6,000 mile normal? We are using Mobil 1 and it hasn't slowed down the consumption.
  • willystswillysts Member Posts: 1
    3 quarts in 6,000 mile averages out to 1 qt in 2,000 miles, which is quite acceptable for a north star. I've had 2 of them and they both used 1 qt in 1500 miles. Cadillac says that 1 qt in 800 is still k.

The carbon treatment should be done on your car, if for no other reason, because it's good for it. They are attempting to free up your piston rings which they believe are sticking due to excessive carbon build-up and could be causing your oil consumption. While that is very common, since most Cadillac customers don't drive hard enough for a high performance engine like the north star to keep that from being a problem, I don't believe that you will see an improvement, since your oil consumption won't get any better.

And it's call deep carbon treatment and is on a TSB issued about a year ago.
  • harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    I had a 95 that consumed 2 qts oil in under l300 miles. I ran it on the interstate daily which should burn up residual carbon. Cad replaced the heads, pan gaskets and then a short block engine. That was done at 70k. I now have l40k and no oil problems. I bought a 98 deville and now have 42k on it with no problems. If the rings are the problem, I do not believe these carbon reducing efforts will free the rings. I am glad I had an extended warranty. I bought one on the 98 as well.

HARLEYBILL
    Knoxville, Tennessee
  • suzie7suzie7 Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts? I'm considering buying a 95 Deville with 94,000 miles. It's a nice "clean" car inside and out and the price seems to be right. I will surely have my mechanic look at it, but in the mean time I wanted to mention a few things to you that I noticed on the test drive. First: The car did not shift smoothly from first gear to second. Second: When I put the ignition in the "run" position the gas pedal made a thumping noise as it fluttered.
    Overall are my expectations too high in thinking I can get another 100,000 miles out of it? I'd appreciate any comments/experiences. Thanks.
    I'd look at a '96 or newer if I were you. The '95 was the last year of the 4.9liter OHV motor. The '96 introduced the Northstar to the base Deville trim which means 275 horse power instead of 200 in the '95. The Northstar has totally different transaxle (4T80E) which is more robust.
    If you must go with the '95, have the mechanic do compression tests on the motor and have the transaxle carefully inspected. I still recommend that you look into a later, Northstar equipped model.

Good Luck
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    the 94 was the first year for the deville Northstar. Didn't your read HarleyBills note just above yours with his story about oil consumption on a 95 Northstar?????
    If you read my post carefully, I said "The '96 introduced the Northstar to the base Deville trim". This does not include the Concours which got the Northstar in 1994. The Northstar system got its start in the 1993 Eldorado Touring Coupe, (No ETC back then) as well as the '93 STS.

The point that I was making above had to do with the fact the the BASE TRIM Deville did not get the Northstar Standard until 1996. I suggest that you re-read Harleybill's post. No where does it suggest that he is talking about a Northstar Motor when discussing his oil consumption problem.

That, my friend, is what I am talking about!
  • pulasienpulasien Member Posts: 1
    Carbon treating will not hurt anything, you should do it periodically anyway. Question, what brand of gas are you using? A quality brand with cleaner additives or cut rate. That can make a big difference in carbon build up in you engine as well as the type of motor oil you are using, (i.e. paraffin or tar based, Pennzoil is an example of the former and Havoline the latter). Stick with a good paraffin based oil and change often. I follow these simple guidelines in all my vehicles, and get great trouble free service from them, my 1989 DeVille just turned 250K with no major engine, transmission, or transaxle problem yet and still eats Lincolns for breakfast (and a few Lexus' as well)
    I believe Harleybill's 95 is a Concours. The 94 and 95 "base" Devilles had the old OHV 4.9 liter V8. That engine is descendent of the old 4.1 liter V8 of the early 80s which was a nightmare. Cadillac seemed to have worked the bugs out by the time they enlarged it to 4.5 then to 4.9, but I have still heard of some problems with 4.9s. Personally I'd skip this engine and look for one with the excellent Northstar V8. In 96, all Devilles got the Northstar and the 4.9 was deep sixed.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Ok, I'm willing to learn.

So, in 94 and 95 deVille had two different motors, the 'old' motor in the base model and the Concours had the Northstar, right?

I didn't know that. I thought when they went to the Northstar in the deVille, all models had it.
  • larry0605larry0605 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else suffered this problem which good year claims was caused by a chuckhole. I just noticed that Saudi replaced tires on TT's for same problem, although their's were 45 series tires. by the way if you haven't avoid chuckholes because tires are $234 and dealer said they are good for less than 20,000 miles. what is everyone else replacing tires with?
    You Got it! As etharmon discussed in his post #373, he is absolutely accurate. The 4.9 motor which was standard in the base model Deville until thru 1995 is, in fact the direct descendant of the HT4100, which was probably Cadillac's biggest Engineering disaster ever. And, while the motor got better in it's progressive iterations to 4.5 and eventually 4.9 liters, it was never anything to write home about. I went through 3 4100's in my 1985 Eldorado Biarritz before giving up and finally installing an Olds 308ci. motor.

Anyway, now you have the facts!
  • gth1gth1 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of purchasing an EW for a '98 DeVille d'elegance with 54k. Any suggestions for good cos. with comprehensive covg. would be appreciated. Not even sure if I need one? Electrical seems to be my main concern. gth
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I just saw my first '00/'01 Deville limo this evening. We don't seem to have too many here in Southern California, which is why I hadn't seen one in the flesh until now.

Anyway, it sure was a beauty! Grey with fat tires/chrome "DTS-like" wheels. Very sharp compared to all those town car limos out there.
  • snomojoesnomojoe Member Posts: 14
    Recently, while on an extended trip away from home base, my 2000 DTS would not downshift on grades or when "punched to pass". Cad dealer in another city said perhaps it was a bad Throttle Position Sensor and he could have one in a couple of days. Not wanting to tread water waiting for the part I said I could wait until I got home and have my local dealer make the repair. I was told they "erased the codes" from the computer and this would correct the problem - which it did. Car performed perfectly the 800 miles home. Dealer at home could not find a problem. Said because car was performing normally and because codes had been erased he couldn't diagnose any problem and couldn't arbitrarily replace the TPS under warranty as GM wouldn't honor the cost unless the dealer could show a problem (computer codes). Anyhow, the service manager said he didn't think anything was wrong with the TPS and that "perhaps you picked up a stray radio signal - two way in a construction zone or something - which githched the computer and that erasing the codes corrected the situation. Anyone heard of such a thing or experienced a similar problem? Car performing flawlessly for 2000 miles since.
  • 456ttt456ttt Member Posts: 13
    Went to dealer yesterday for filters - good news & bad. The air filter is the good news - it was only $13.50 so no need to try to get aftermarket on this one. Bad news, the pollen filter was $75.00 (I'll wait for 100,000 miles) Fuel Filter about $37.00 not too bad, I want to find it (under the car) to see if I want to replace it myself. 21,000 miles on the DTS since May 2000 - rides great, only the the rough engine idle remains (GM Detroit gave me a 100,000 mile warranty with zero deductible at no cost because I was unhappy, but I still want this fixed !!).
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    What year was the Deville first offered with night vision ? thanks
    2000 - Only 8000 night vision units were made even though Cadillac took over 28,000 orders for it. They eventually retooled the line at Raytheon (the manufacturer) and now there is no supply Problem.
    I have a question for 2000/1 Deville owners. I have just under 3000 miles on my '01 DTS and all is well. No problems to report.
    The only thing is that about 50% of the time when I start the car up in the morning, the "Check Coolant Level" message appears on the DIC. As soon as I star moving it goes away. I have checked the container for leaks and the level looks right as far as I can tell. Anyone else have this message come up??

I posted this in the "Cadillac Meets Here" Forum so if you answered it there I'll find it. Thanks!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Philly 7...Same light went on on my '00 DTS. Took it to the dealer and they did find a leak in the system. I'd suggest you have them check it out.
    Had same problem, but coolant level was low. Dealer couldn't find the problem, it has not happened again (so far !!).
  • ashur1ashur1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 DHS. As posted here I have had many many problems, but all is fine now except the engine idle. I have complained and complained to the dealer. I have called Cadillac but all they do is call and bother my dealer. I have indicated my disgust on all the satisfaction surveys. Who heard your complaint and gave you the extended warranty? That would help make me a happier camper. I have heard that Cadillac knows exactly what the problem is and have no plans to do anything about it. The engine is set to idle just above the point of stalling. This gives them low emissions and better overall economy. It sucks. I am embarrassed every time I have a passenger in the car and have to come to a stop. The car is so quiet and rides so well that I thought I had a brake vibration. It finally occurred to me that it wasn't the brakes, it was the idle vibration kicking in when the car slowed.
  • woodybuickwoodybuick Member Posts: 33
    There are plans on fixing it, but they are working on a few other things like the airbags on the 97-99 models. The main problem is with the crankshaft position sensor and the engine sensor. The '01 models have been corrected out of the factory. They are working on a fix for the 2000 models, it is just taking a long time. It will happen because to many people are complaining about it.
    My extended warranty came in a letter from Janet Hawthorne, Customer Relationship Manager. The person you want to reach however is Paul Byther at 313-667-7153. He is a great guy, very helpful and is with the President's office. I intend to call him myself in a week or two to get status on if there is a fix. The 100,000 mile, zero deductible, free extended, non-transferrable warranty was not in any way a release to GM for fixing the problem. Please let us all know how you make out. Perhaps if they start giving away more of these warranties they will finally get the problem fixed. !!
  • cgreenemcgreenem Member Posts: 2
    That is the question. I'm looking at a 1995 Cadillac Deville STD which has the 4.9L V8 with 99,500 miles on it. Appears to be in great shape. Agreed price with dealer is $8,500. What do you guys think? I know very little about Cads and this would be my first. Thanks in advance.
    Right in the middle of the discussion of my oil burning 95 deville concours with the NORTHSTAR engine, my hard drive crashed. I picked up the old 200 pentium with its 2 gig hard drive and through it out in the backyard. I am now up and running with a new dell pentium 4.

I had the engine replaced under warranty at about 68k and I now have l4lk on this engine and it hauls . I think the 300 hp runs better in the 95 at l4lk than the 300 hp northstar in my 98 concours with 40k. Great rides!!!!!
    As an interstate runnin roadhog, let me tell you about what you might expect if you buy the 95 you are looking at with 99k. About l20k, my 95 concours began to rock and roll on the interstate like a drunken sailor. I discovered the air adjustable struts are a GM patented system and no aftermarket parts will fit. The front struts will cost you $450.00 each and the rear $400.00 each and this with 8.5% sales tax in Tennessee( where I live) will set you back about $2100.00.

That was quite a surprise for me. Understand that if your struts need replacing; it is major money.
  • 93now93now Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a second family car, a very clean and sharp 93 Sedan DeVille with
    full carraige roof. Does anyone have any info on specific problems this year
    and model may have, or any recall alerts, especially as it is now 7 years old?
    New poster, looking forward to conversing herein.
    Please don't get the carriage roof...it looks like either a hearse or pimpmobile....
    What color is your 98 Concours? Just curious, I don't see too many of those(Concours model) on the roads here in Knoxville. Most that I see are base Devilles.
  • cgreenemcgreenem Member Posts: 2
    Thanks harleybill for the alert to the struts on this vehicle. I'll have them checked out. One of the things that kind of concerns me is that the engine in this model is the last one that didn't have the Northstar. This one has the 4.9L V8 in it. I'm wondering if I'll get much life out of it yet, since it's almost at 100,000 miles.
    My 95 concours is a white diamond. My 98 concours is a silver. I am going to put l50k on the 95, retire it and give it to my wife as a "town car." She can drive it around town until someone wrecks it.

I live in the fountain city area here in Knoxville. One day we ought to hook up for lunch.

harleybill
    Now, Now Carnaught...To each his own. I happened to have a very pretty Spring Edition '96 Deville which was black with a black factory Roadster Roof. It was beautiful and I am neither a mortition nor a purveyor of prostitutes.

As for cgreenem, I would take HarleyBill's advice and look at the struts. But there is such a world of difference between the '95 and '96. Drive them in succession and you will see what I mean. It can't be much more to get a '96 with fewer miles.

Good Luck
    ...Phaeton roof...whatever...I agree, "too each is own"....
    I'm in the west part of town near Farragut. If you ever see an under 30 guy in a red Intrigue eyeballing your Concours, it's probably me:)
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    I always love specialty custom packages on Devilles. However what do you guys think about them on the current Deville particularly on the DTS and DHS?

They look pretty sharp and unique.
    Sweeteldorado...are you refering to Phaeton roofs, voque tires, and custom chrome wheels? If so, don't forget the big hat with a feather and the leather pants.....
  • devilshorsedevilshorse Member Posts: 1
    My father owns a '91 DeVille and has experienced gasoline odor in the car on many occasions. He has had this checked out and supposedly fixed several times, but it seems to return and have a will of it's own. With the hood closed and the engine running, the odor can be smelled coming through the opening at the windshield/wiper area. We believe the air conditioning fan sucks the fumes into the air conditioning system and then into the car. Has anyone out their experienced this, or have an answer on how to fix this problem?
  • mdm4mdm4 Member Posts: 33
    THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO MESSAGE #387 ABOUT THE FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR UP TO 100,000 MILES ON THE 2000 DEVILLE. I CALLED GM AND THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT NOR HAVE THEY EVER HEARD OF JANET HAWTHORNE. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. YOU MAY EMAIL ME AT: MDM1@WESTCHESTERGOV.COM