Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I just want to congratulate the DTS for being named to the list of contenders for the world's best sedan inthe ROBB Reports best of issue. That's quite a feat, considering the BMW 7 was left off. The DTS is a considerable jump from the previous DeVille's and someone like the ROBB taking notice proves that~ A.R.
  • RobberbarronRobberbarron Member Posts: 39
    I think that $2000 is worth more then the hassle of putting new visors in the car. If it's that important to you, take the $2000 and go get a new Deville.

-Robberbarron
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I was not aware the DTS nomination for "best sedan" in the Robb Report. Just being nominated say a lot!

Do you know what the criteria is they are using for the judging/selection?
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    Is the article, currently, available at news stands?

J "CaddyLac"
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    It is available on newstands. It is their annual best of edition. I don't know what the criteria are, but I can tell you the DTS is in elite company such as the winner, Bentley Arnage Red Label, MB S-Class, Audi S8, Lexus LS430 and the Jaguar XJ8. I will save you the $10.00 and read you the statement:

"Cadillac hasn't left the building. It's making a comeback, and the DeVille DTS is the star of the show. A 300-hp V-8 and road-sensing suspension reinstate the superior performance of Cadillac's finer years. Outside, the DeVille DTS has a leaner, chiseled, contemporary appearance. Inside, the old disco-era look of the dashboard has been replaced by European styling. Classic Cadillac staples, such as the spacious trunk and interior, remain".

Congrats Cadillac~ A.R.
    Thanks.

J "CaddyLac"
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new car soon and have always wanted a luxury car. I've found a 1997 Deville Concours with 58K for $21,900. It is completely loaded including Onstar and the integrated hands-free cell phone with steering wheel controls, sunroof, cd changer, the works. It's beautiful too, pearl red with the chrome wheels. What do you guys think of the price? It's at a Cadillac dealer and appears to be one that has been traded in for a new model. I haven't driven it yet and I wanted some ideas on price when I go into the dealership if I do. The listed price seems decent considering the how much the car was when new, but I'm not sure. I know dealers usually start out asking high prices on used cars expecting low ball offers and then work up from there. I could drive it and it could turn out to be a bomb, but it looks to be in excellent shape and typically a dealer like that will not keep used models in poor shape. Heck, they've got this one up on a rack in front of their used lot.
  • theyustheyus Member Posts: 3
    We bought the DTS 15 months ago. Dealer has been telling us the rough idle problem will be solved with a software fix. Well, after waiting for 15 months, my wife asked another dealer near her office about this problem (during a routine oil job). This dealer went ahead with:

Replace intake and exhaust camshafts per TSBVSS20010048
    Reprogram PCM

All together, I counted 15 parts. Looks like a very expensive warranty job. Anyway, the 2000 DTS now runs real well and NO ROUGH IDLE. We are now happy.
  • larry0605larry0605 Member Posts: 3
    The Mileage on my 2000 DTS has progressively dropped from an average of around 19 MPG to 16.4 MPG. I noticed the difference when I had a warranty loaner 275HP Deville(cruise button died) and got 22.8 MPG driving the same type of roads. I asked the service guy about it and
    he asked what octane gas I was using. I told him 87 as called for. He replied that they
    were finding out that the car needed at least 89 octane to prevent "carbonization". He said if I
    brought it in they would "de-carbonize" it under warranty. the car only has 15,000
    miles. Am I being feed a line of bull or is this real?
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    what's the most reliable used Cadillac to buy? I don't need any extras or features, I just want a full-size smooth riding car for everyday use. Thanks.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I would highly recommend a 1977-79 Deville. Sensible size, fairly decent gas mileage, excellent 425 V-8. A lot are still on the road. Of more recent Cadillacs, the 1994-99 Cadillacs are good. My 1994 Deville with 4.9 V-8 and 85K miles is still going strong. A nice 1998 or 1999 model base Deville would probably be your best choice. They can be had for very reasonable prices.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    I own a 2001 Aurora 4.0 (small bore 4.6) and switched out the factory oil at 4000 miles with Mobil-1 0W-30 (8 quarts). the car now has 6000 miles and has not used any oil since the change. While the owner's manual does not mention 0W-30, the service manual does recommend it (synthetic only) for cold areas and/or better start-up lubrication. Even with mostly mountain/city driving, the oil life monitor is running at about 7000 miles per change and it looks like it won't need any added oil during that time. I also use Mobil-1 filters. According to the service manual, synthetic 0W-30 or 5W-30 can be used in any climate, and synthetics are specifically recommended for colder areas.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ....NOT! My 2000 DTS has less than 10,000 mi. and has been pampered. Despite this it has been in service for no less than six times since I bought it a year ago. Each time it has been in for 3 - 8 days at a time. Now it is in for defective camshaft, problem with the condenser, and a leak in the radiator, and they "keep finding things wrong". It has been in since Friday, the 15th, and there's no telling when I'll get it back. As for Cadillac, and one of it "flagships"...never again. It's foreign cars for me, and I personally hope that Cadillac goes the route of Oldsmobile. Don't buy one or you've got trouble!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hello all
    96 deville northstar 76500 mil.
    Used 1 Qt. dino 10w40 1500 miles.
    Purring like a kitten. But the woman is
    too cheap to put premium in. But i got a new
    chevy truck recently. And the wheel fell OFF !!
    So Carnaught : sorry to hear of your problems.
    Geo
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I currently own a 1997 Chrysler LHS with 53,000
    miles on it and in very good condition. I am looking for a car with a little more power and a little less road noise. I have not found the new LHS as comfortable in its' seating or visibility as the 97 LHS.
    I now have the opportunity to trade the 97 LHS for a 1998 Cadillac Deville with 11,000 miles on it and in like new condition.
    The trade would be the 97 LHS and $ 12,000 cash for the 1998 Deville. Is this a good trade? Has anyone in the discussion owned both models? can you give me your comparison based on your own experience. All other replies also welcome
  • reveillereveille Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 deville has been in the shop more than we have had it.
    the passanger side sun visior is defected
    transitors had to be replace at 200 miles
    transitors had to be replaced at 500 miles
    the dealer said the transmission was slopping but
    they had fixed it
    at 700 miles they are replacing the transmission if they ever get one in.
    anyone else having tranmission problems
    windshield had to be replaced 200 miles,,,,,,took 3 weeks to get the windshield
    i am going to tell the factory rep. that i want a new car not a repaired new car......if he ever calls me.
    europe..........here i come but i have owned 9 caddys and have never had these problems
  • ashur1ashur1 Member Posts: 8
    Now I'm worrried about the transmission on my 2000 DHS...

Problems? I have had them all. I just had the cam replacement. The vibration at idle is better but not great. You can still feal a little roughness at idle - I'm still not satisfied given the price I paid.

To recap: I have had both sides of the car repainted to correct bad factory paint job, painted again to correct a bad dealor paint job (call my picky but I simply did not like the fingerprint in the paint just above the door handle), defective passenger visor replaced, wood dash panel replaced, AC vents fixed so that they stay open, driver seat cover replaced, heated seat repaired, cruise control repaired, door trim reattached (three times - I know they are just pushing the piece in), the car was out of alignment when delivered, the brakes have been cleaned and adjusted a couple of times and had rotors resufaced or replaced to fix nasty pulsation upon breaking - they still groan.

I love the styling, handling, toys and power. But, too many problems. I'm 38 and thought I was the market that Cadillac was after with the new Devilles. Cadillac has made it very clear to me that they are not interested in me as a long term customer. My dealorship is not especially upset over my problems, the Cadillac 800 numbers are absolutely useless, the folks at the 'executive offices' don't seem to really care, and the field manager is 'real sorry' but really has not made me happy - when he calls me back. I can't wait to see the next generation Town Car.
    Please read my previous post approx. #515. Just got my 2000 DTS Deville back from the dealer service after a week there. It is about my eighth time in within the last year I've owned it. Had the cam shafts replaced, overheating, and radiator leak, condenser problem and air cond. vent fixed/replaced. It was all washed and shiny and filled with gas when I picked it up, although the interior being cleaned also was not as clean as I left it. On the way home the engine temp. was higher than expected....so, I suspect It'll go back for no. nine. When the car runs and is shined, it is pretty and a pleasure but those moments are getting more rare and less appreciated. Even though my service rep., who is himself stellar, said "don't give up on us", the car is just about history. It is the MOST troublesome I've EVER owned. I think I'll buy a second Lexus. It's more expensive but no comparison. Cadillac is destined to go the route of the Oldsmobile.....extinction. I feel there's no hope...and frankly I don't care. So can GM!

Ashur1: Cadillac's attitude is reprehensible and they deserve what they get!
  • dwaynejdwaynej Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this car the first week in May 2001 and I feel like the suspension needs a minor adjustment, such as new struts. The car has 51K on it and rides like a dream except when the trunk is loaded down; I think that it sits too low to the ground in the rear. The original struts are on the car now, is it true that struts are only good for about 30k miles or so?
    ...on my 1994 Deville with over 85K. Pretty impressive when I consider my city's cratered streets. I've felt that something was amiss with the suspension as well, but have been told that the struts are OK. There are two thin vertical stabilizer bars in the front that tend to go bad. I believe a set of these costs $180.00. Struts, on the other hand, are costly at $500 a piece!
    I get such a kick out of these posts from people who have problems with their Cadillacs and say "it's foriegn cars for me." Thats the dumbest statement I've heard. Foriegn cars have problems too. Ever see a Lexus dealership that doesn't have a service department? And most foriegn luxury cars are alot more expensive than Cadillacs to get V8 power, and equivalent room and features. And Cadillac is NOT going the way of Oldsmobile. Have you seen or read anything about the upcoming CTS? Very impressive. If Lexus can sell a warmed over Camry(ES300), Infinti a fancy Maxima(I30), and Acura and upgraded Accord(TL 3.2) then Cadillac should have no problem selling a completely new from the ground up RWD entry level luxury sedan. Sorry if I sound a bit crass, but I get tired of blanket statements like "Back to foriegn cars for me" when someone has a problem with a US made car. I happen to like Cadillacs alot and it will be a cold day in you know where before I'll ever buy a Lexus or an Acura. The only foriegn luxury cars I would consider would be a Jaguar or a high end MB.
    for me" people, you refer to. Understand, as an American, I WANT the American car to succeed. What I have seen is a lack of reliability in the Cadillac's engineering and a disregard for the customer by GM in their support. I thought they (Amer. cars) were improving, and in my experience, they are not. Another poster on the board noted that the GM corporate support had total disregard and lack of care for the customer after the purchase and I have found it to be the case with my Pontiac also. Do you expect me to continue to be loyal when I've had better luck with my foreign cars? By the way, foreign cars too are not perfect; if you want trouble, buy a Jaguar (although better than they used to be). BTW....not trying to rile you, just have a spirited debate :<( .
  • josephnjosephn Member Posts: 1
    For those of you complaining about unreliable new Cadillacs, do you live in states with lemon laws? Any new car that is at the dealer for a week 6 different times the first year is hitting lemon status.

As for the guy who implied shame on anyone who'd buy a foreign Lexus, but kudos if the foreign car is a Jaguar, well, he has never owned a Jaguar. My aunt has an XK8, and the thing is most unreliable tub in history.
    ...in regard to service after the sale some 7 years after I purchased my 1994 Deville. My girlfriend has a new Chevrolet Impala and they are doing their darndest to ensure she is happy with her car. Maybe it varies by dealer. As far as I can see, I have no reason whatsoever to consider a foreign make. I do like the Lexus LS400 and LS430 and the Mercedes S-Class, but Cadillac was, is, and will be my select choice.
  • larry0605larry0605 Member Posts: 3
    I have an early 2000 DTS that used to get about 19.0 MPG for my daily driving (5 miles interstate- 2 miles suburban streets) Recently my MPG dropped to about 16.1 overall and I am only getting about 20.1 MPG at a constant 65 MPH on the freeway. I watch the INST mileage on the freeway and, on any grade at all, it drops the mileage down in the 12-15 MPG range. I complained to dealer service guy and he told me I should be using 89 octane instead of 87 and that the northstar 'carbons up' because of Lotus type variable valve timingused on the Northstar. He 'decarbonized' it but there has been no improvement . I also am getting some rough idling, although it is tough to tell how rough it is while inside the car due to the sound insulation. How out of the norm is my mileage and does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong with this car?
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I read the other day where Raytheon is planning to step up their automotive night vision technology business and they are courting other car manufacturers. Interested parties include Honda and I believe Mercedes or BMW. Interestingly, Lexus (Toyota) was not listed.

Apparently, the exclusive arrangement with Cadillac is over, and the demand for this technology has exceeded their (Raytheon's) initial expectations. They foresee ramping up production to as much as 1 million units per year.

It seems that night vision may well become a common feature on cars in the near future. Chalk one up for Cadillac for having been on the forefront of this particular technology in the automotive world!
  • 9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    dwaynej:::::cadillac struts are a little on the pricey side. Your struts should not be wore out at 50k unless it has been abused.

Maybe your load leveling system is not functioning and the rear end is not being raised??? I have owned several Caddies and the the 91 Touring Sedan did suffer a strut problem due to the a sensor malfunction; however the car was sold @ 59k miles after the factory installed a new 4.9 engine..

The current Deville is a 96 Northstar, wife's car, which has made 6 round trips to Fla from Detroit loaded to the gunnels with luggage/cargo.. The car has 56k miles and the struts are okay and the electronic load leveling functions to keep the body in a level condition when loaded..

Take your car to a dealer and ask him to check it out..Struts should last under normal useage past the 100k mark.
    Hello 1415. Another anonymous name change.

[laughter]

J "CaddyLac"
    Life is funny; and when are you going to pop for the Eldo???? Don't lurk and pay the part..

I always considered myself lucky because I didn't have to depend on a Cadillac for transportation needs.. Always bought my wife one for she has the time in case the car didn't feel the need to run that day..

Eldos are old tech and GM is finally going to kill it.. They haven't put any money in that car for a few years..I know of a mint 99 Eldo, custom top, moon, Vogue wheels and tires, 36k mi. and asking 21.9.. I know the original owner.. He has a 01 Eldo now..

My 96 Deville is an exceptional car and I am keeping it because the thing is not replaceable. It will go end of model 02, though..

The 99 3.5 Intrigue is a blast and at 45k miles it loves the 75+ mph cruise.. The engine is smoother than the Northstar and if it blows up; then Major Guard writes the check..It's the business car, golf wagon, and funmobile..

I quess you might call my son a real Caddie fan; he just bought a used Allante 93 Northstar with 42k miles; 2nd owner,and I am trying to trace through the system to see if the engine has been replaced by Cadillac. Excellent condition, low 20s, summer wagon only, recently bought a 01 SLS to replace his 94 STS w/137k miles..The third car is a T&C Chrysler van.

Who is 1415????
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    1415 is someone who was not nearly as well behaved as you will be, right 9899olds?
    check the cam shafts....had the problem with the rough idle with my 2000 DTS
    Behaving better every day...may chuck the Intrigue for a 02 Z-28..decision near..lack of dealer support..300hp+ V-8s are a dying sport..hybrid cars don't create any fun..this AARPer is going out in style.

The younger generation has to put up with the whachos; I don't!!!!It's off to the races..
    Whats up? :) Sounds like you know your Caddies and Intrigues. I'm getting ready to buy a new(or used) car very soon and my choices are a 97 or 98 ETC, STS(probably have to stick with a 97 on that one), Deville Concours, Oldsmobile Aurora or a new Oldsmobile Intrigue. I've looked at Buick Regals, but weren't as impressed with them. I keep going back to the Cadillacs because I've always wanted a luxury car and I'd love to have a car with a V8 before gasoline prices go through the roof. Lincolns don't really impress me and Chrysler has no V8 cars. And the only imports I really like are Jags and long term maintenance on those worry me.
    Look in the yellow pages and see how many Jaguar, Cadillac, and Oldsmobile dealers are in your service area where you will seek help occasionally. Oldsmobile is disappearing and the last time I looked; Jaguar dealers were somewhat scarce..

The ETC is old in many respects, and the STS is probably the best thing the USA has to offer. Excellent suspension setup and the Northstar/trans combo is a real runner.. Used, low mileage is the way to go for the new one is on the pricey side; and depreciates like a lead sinker in water.. The SLS is nothing and the Deville is okay; but soft suspension..I buy the Devilles because of the southern commute-Detroit to Fla-gobs of junk to haul back/forth..

The Intrigue is a high speed runner all day long and probably is the best handling mid-sized Big 3 domestic sedan produced by Detroit in a long time.. I have had two; but the 99 is the last one due to the Olds demise..The 3.5 is a blast..

Conclusion: Cadillac service isn't the greatest; but volume of dealers allows a choice to be made..
    No choice with Olds; they are gone, and Jag ain't for me, no choice..

Maybe this will help narrow the field for you.
    Thanks for the info. BTW, how is that SLP exhaust doing on the Intrigue? :)
  • harchieharchie Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 98 Deville. Geat Price and condition. Immaculate. Any info or advice on what to expect. This is my first high end vehicle.
    A bona fide collectible - awesome powerplant, two-seater convertible with Pininfarina body. A real keeper. I'd definitely would preserve such a vehicle as well as I possibly could.
    We have met???? Recall Tenn????

The SLP system has upped the abuse factor, increased oil consumption, decreased gas mileage, added more noise to a noisy car; but it was worth the money.. It did add some zest to the higher end..

Every Intrigue owner should get one.. I doubt if it will be a good selling point!!

lemko:::::It might be a collectable someday but it sure wasn't a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.. I was somewhat amazed that my son was buying this car because he has never shown any real auto interest other than certain cars were necessary in the family lifestyle. His mechanical aptitude is not too swift; in fact he nevers checks the oil level in his cars..
  • harvey17harvey17 Member Posts: 4
    how reliable is this engine, and has anyone outthere had any major problems,or when startup do anyone have a whine in the tranny for the first ten miles orso.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I had a 90 Deville with the 4.9. Bought new
    and i had it till 98 and sold it with 120k
    plus miles. Never a problem never used Any
    oil. Unlike my 96 northstar which uses 1 qt.
    every 1000 miles. Just ask if they ever did
    the cooling system flush and if they added
    those GM pellets (sealer) when they did it.
    good luck..............Geo
    I have a 1994 Cadillac Deville with the 4.9 litre V-8. It currently has 85,350 on the odometer and I have yet to experience any problems.
    I don't think we've met but I know you have a 99 Intrigue with the SLP exhaust and a 96 Deville for the wife(who likes Caddies) and you used to have 91 Deville Touring Sedan and a troublesome 98 Intrigue. I bet the SLP exhaust really makes that Intrigue sound mean.
    Exhaust sound from a V-6 is not very stimulating; and this one is not loud either.. The system was made for the 3.8, however the 3.5 rear pipe routing layout is identical to the 3.8..

The Olds dealer still has the original so I will get it changed when I sell the car. Higher revs does produce a raspy note and lower revs it gets a little drony..

The Intrigue is on the short list now so by late fall it should have a new home..
  • pfergypfergy Member Posts: 7
    Be very careful when shopping and ck the car out thoroughly before signing on the dotted line. Like you, I was interested in a luxury v8 but had to go the pre owned route last fall. thought I had found the perfect one in sept when I found a 97 SLS with only 24K miles at the local caddy dealer. 'asking' price was $25,900 but after my trade, extended warranty, tax, sack, and tip, I ended up financing less than $22K, well below the loan value at that time of over $23K. Now after 9 months I see why the mileage was so low. It stays in the shop. So far have had to deal with bad struts, bad oxygen sensor, leaking trunk, bad exhaust system, electrical smoke from steering column, bad trunk springs among others. Now waiting to take back in for remote entry key fob that only works half the time, driver seat that will only move 1 inch back and forth, passenger seat heater that won't work and auto headlights that only work when they want to. (if they don't you cannot override with the dash switch either. driving in the dark with just the DRL's is no fun)
    Dealer service dept has been very cooperative in trying to fix everything but at $150 a pop on the extended warranty, it's adding up. Have had ads for sale for over a month now with not one call. Loan value has now dropped over $5K in less than a year.
    Have I ruled out Caddy's for future purchase, no, because when I do get to drive it it's a blast with the northstar and a great ride. But I will be extremely cautious and will probably buy something else this time around and save the caddy for when I can afford to drop $50,000 for a second car. (you know how it is, wife has to drive new SUV every 3 years) Just my 2 cents worth.
    teo:::::The article on the DTS Cadillac was informational and I thought humorous at times..The 96 in my garage is exempt from all the tech goodies of the 01s..

The old adage "KISS" applies to car buying..I guess..

harvey17::::::What did the Caddy dealer say? The only problem I had with the 91 4.9 engine was "piston slap".. Caddy replaced all pistons once over 48k miles and at 59k miles put a new engine in it..I sold the car.. The whirl noise is a common racket on the older models with some mileage; why I don't know.. A good friend of mine had a 89 4.5 Caddy and the transmission was noisy; but never failed..
  • gw7gw7 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing GM factory Major Guard extended warranty on 98 Concurs as new car warranty expires soon at 50,000. Looking at 72 months, 100,000 miles. (Quoted $1800-1900 by dealer with $200 Wed.) Have owned car since 30,000 miles with only minor warranty performed so far. Now has 49,000. Any thoughts on whether to purchase or not.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Anyone who does not subscribe to Automobile magazine should pick up the August issue, soon on newsstands. There is an excellent article on the Deville and Seville, where the author states that the new versions are superior in many ways to the Mercedes S class. I was frankly shocked to read such praise for Cadillac in this magazine, since it mainly tests European and Japanese luxury and sports cars.
    GM's Major Guard on a 96 Deville, owned since new, 6yrs/75k miles with $100ded was $1305; put on GM credit card and pay off in 12 easy installments w/o carrying charges.. haven't used the policy.. Also have a MajorGuard on a 99 Intrigue that hasn't been used; 6yrs/75k miles with 0 ded for 1025.. No useage as yet.

Never have gotten into extended warranties; but the Northstar engines and the Shortstar little brother have a potential of being a pain in backside..Little complex and prone to be problematic..

I would buy something if you think your relationship is longterm..
    "There is an excellent article on the Deville and Seville, where the author states that the new versions are superior in many ways to the Mercedes S class."

You somewhat lost me there. Are we talking about the next generation Deville and Sevilles or the current models, here.

J "CaddyLac"