Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• Options
    tonoradtonorad Member Posts: 5
    As I mentioned in an earlier posting, my wife and I just bought our first Cadillac (a 2000 DHS) right before the Labor Day weekend). Anyway, as I'm devoted to first-class care of my vehicles (I have a 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue in mint condition and a 1999 Ford Mustang in great condition, too), I wondered if any of you had any suggestions re: Cadillac leather care. We contacted the leather manufacturer and they recommended one product that was available at Target or WalMart.

I had used Meguiar's products before, but don't know if I should on the DHS for the leather...?

Any suggestions? Dos and Don'ts?
  • Options
    robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I have seen ads for Lexol leather cleaner and leather conditioner (two separate products), and they sell it at my local Caddy dealership. I shopped for it at Target but they didn't have it in the store nearest to me.

What product did the leather manufacuturer recommend?
  • Options
    barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    T.I.P.S -- Tipping does improve service! Just because you bought a $ 50,000. car doesnt mean you don't have to tip! By that reasoning, if you & your date/wife go to a fabulous steak house and eat a 5 lb lobster & an incredible fillet mignon you don't have to tip because you spent $150.00 for dinner! Spendin more for the CAR buys you MORE car! Spending some on the Service advisor BUYS you incredible service & preferential treatment. You don't have to light his cigar with a hundred dollar bill, a $ 20 bill when you bring in the car, UP FRONT this time will have residual effects for a long time! Next time, walk in like you own the joint, with just a dozen donuts and you'll be greeted with respect and be one of the first few jobs out the door that day, with an extra inspection to make sure the car is clean and EVERYTHING you wanted done was DONE! TRY IT!!! You're not paying extra for service, you're making yourself important with just a couple of bucks over the lifetime of the car.
  • Options
    I hear you and understand your point and your logic, but I still disagree with it in the case of car service. In fact, I might go so far as to say that by doing what you are doing you may very well be setting a bad precendent for the way quality customer service is handled in the car industry in the future.

Waiters and waitresses job pay is structured around making tips. They do not earn a fixed salary, and if they are lucky, they do earn an hourly wage (usually less than minimum wage), and they punch a clock. They have to to a good job first, and then they have earned the tip. Car service managers are paid a guaranteed salary and in return are to provide you with good quality service regardless of your ability or willingness to shell out more money.

Caddy dealerships today are graded on their service by Cadillac "corporate". At least, that's the way it is here in Southern California. Every time I have my car serviced, I receive a formal questionnaire in the mail regarding my satisfaction levels of THAT dealership. If I don't answer "Completely Satisfied" to every area of service I am questioned on, the dealership gets "dinged". Even an answer of "Satisfied" is not good enough.

The problem is, if more people like you start to tip the service guys, then that could very well soon become the expected "norm", and unless you tip, you'll be given less than optimum service. That's crap. A good dealer has its service operation set up to provide all customers with timely, accurate, and courteous service. That is they way I see it working at the dealership I go to. They like me and give me the extra attention and service I desire simply because I treat them back with respect and dignity as fellow human beings, and not scum like many people assume they are and treat them accordingly before even giving them a chance.

Frankly, I am surprised that they are even accepting the tips (bribes). Airline flight attendants and paid on salary, and they are not allowed to accept tips. Have you ever tried to tip one? She will not accept it. They are paid to give all passengers equal service regardless of the amount of loose change in their pockets.
  • Options
    Mechanics are paid a good hourly wage right? Service departments pay a bonu$ to a mechanic each & every time he completes a job in less time than the flat rate manual allows. For instance, if the manual says a job should take 1.5 hours & the mechanic completes it in 1 hr, he gets paid extra for each minute ahead of the 1.5 hours he came in with the finished job. You pay the book time, the house hets more jobs in & out in an 8 hr day & the mechanic makes more money...money makes the workd go 'round. So I guess instead of grousing,hit your pocket or MY car will be done first, even If you had an appointment & were in the shop at 7:30, and I just drive in at 9 A.M. without one. Money in the palm is the only thing that counts in any service industry. Hell, I haven't had an appointment at my Chevy dealer in 9 years (3 different cars) & they take care of my damn Chevy & me like it was a Jaguar! The folks at my new Caddy dealer are just getting to know me too.
  • Options
    Well, glad it works for 'ya. I'll be sure I deliver your next pizza in under 30 minutes, and I'll expect a BIG tip! :>)
  • Options
    etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I must say, tipping the service advisor is a new one, but I guess if you got REALLY good service,I could see doing it. Also, if you've been a long time customer of the dealership and you know a certain service advisor really well and you like him(or her) there is nothing wrong with an occasional tip or gift.
  • Options
    tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    Barry, You are so right! Tipping TRULY works, every time. After buying 12 Cadillac's, two Lincolns, a Porsche, two M/b and many other cars over the last 40 years, one learns many truths in life. this is one of them: Tipping is an investment in continued SUPER service if done correctly.Tipping is the REAL world and while ROBH3 is fundamentally correct in his views, TIPPING does insure the attention you want, not the price you pay for the car!. Sure, one can go in for minor work and not tip. HOWEVER, if you tip even on the minor stuff and you can be sure the Service Mgr. will take care you of you when the major problems occur. He even can extend warranty work. Remember he is the one who writes in the milage on the work order. Hey, everyone of us responds to cash! Tipping gets you a ride home or to a resturant to spend the time in comfort rather that sitting in the dealerships waiting room and the Service Manager will send a car for you when yours is really. The Service Manager always will be able "find" a new vehicle to loan you, free, if the service takes all day. PLUS your car will always come back washed and double checked. ROBH3: Why not try what works, rather than shoot yourself in the foot while getting onto a MORAL platform. Lighten up, try it once and see the differance in service yourself. ! Barry 45 is right! After spending $50,000 on the car do not try save $ on service, "TIPPING WORKS>>>EVERY TIME". TAMCO
  • Options
    philly7philly7 Member Posts: 94
    I wonder if the art of tipping is a cultural phenomenon dictated by geography. I was born and raised in NYC where $$$ talks and BS walks. I was also in the "pest control" end of the nightclub business for 12 years through high school and college. That is were I learned the art of tipping from the other side.

I don't understand how it can be viewed as bribery. And it is NOT extortion, as none of these people work on a "quid pro quo" basis. I simply enjoy the extra attention I receive by taking care of the right people.

People enjoy being rewarded for their work. It makes them feel good. So I really don't see how anyone can be offended by it. Unless their just plain cheap!
  • Options
    Philly, Your technical knowledge is usually "right on" and you are correct in your statements on tipping too. Here is Chicagoland it works, and it works in RURAL USA too. I just got back from a trip to Minn. While on route with our 2001 DHS the speedo rolled over 1800 miles. I stopped in REEDSBURG,Ws.(popl.3500) for a oil change.Reedsberg is a convenient town near our vacation home and I knewI be back in the future. The Service Manager had he driven to the local golf course and picked up after oil change. They checked everything over, greased, adjusted the Night Vision and washed the car; all for the $22.00 oil change. Remember, I was on a trip and did not buy the car there. This dealership never received anything from the deliving dealer. Did I tip Service Mgr.? You bet, before the service!(cheap insurance for future service.) Do you think he will remember me? Do you think the Service Mgr. will get me in and out quickly the next time I bring th car in for service? You better believe TIPS do influence SERVICE, even in small towns. TAMCO PS: This 2001 DHS is quite a car; to drive it is truly FUN!
  • Options
    I will take your tipping experiences "under advisement" for future reference. For the time being, my '99 is under full warranty, and I have the GM Smartcare program, where all oil changes and tire rotations are FREE. I already get a ride to wherever I need to go, and if any warranty work is being done, I get a Deville rental car (free) anyway.

I seem to have a great "relationship" with my service advisor and the #2 service director, both of whom know me by name and know my car's history. At this point, for me to start giving them cash would actually be a bit wierd and may even undermine our "relationship" in a way, as if to say that I don't trust them unless I line their pockets. I believe there could be a geographical "cultural" difference, although it can be argued that money talks universally.
  • Options
    robh, Most of us get rides or free Devilles locally for minor service and Cadillac Corp provides free cars on warrenty work service at all dealerships. Tipping is always an option and seem to be appreciated by all. Sounds as if you have your bases completed covered locally. Best of luck in future.. Please tell me about your experience with GM SmartCare program. What does it cover, is there a cost? I would be interested in the details. I take it it that it is GM sponsered. Do you find program accepted willingly at other dealerships than yours? TAMCO
  • Options
    Hi tamco. Caddy was offering the Smartcare program as an incentive last year at this time. I was able to print off a "coupon" for it from the Cadillac website, and also Caddy was running full page ads in the paper (LA Times)for this incentive. I believe at that time it applied to all but the Escalade.

Since it is a GM sponsored program, it is "dealer agnostic", meaning the dealer gets reimbursed by GM, so it is no burden on the dealer, and therefore any dealer will gladly do it without any heartburn. About two weeks after the initial deal on the car I received a Smartcare card in the mail with an ID number. I keep it in the glove box, but I have only needed it once since the dealer has the info in his computer now.

By the way, I have my car serviced at a different dealer from the one where I bought it. I have it serviced at the dealer in town, but bouoght it elsewhere because they were "dealing" better at the time. I still receive "it's time to have your car serviced" notices from the dealer where I purchased it.

If I understand it correctly, the Smartcare program allows for free oil changes and tire rotations according to the owner's Guide recommended intervals. Part of GM's incentive to come out with this program was because it had become a problem with leased cars that the "owners" were not taking care of the car (proper and timely oil changes) since they were just going to turn it in anyway at the end of the lease. Guess GM felt it was worth it to have such a program to better ensure that it's leased cars were being properly maintained, so as to avoid more costly problems down the road for resale purposes, etc.

It has been a terrific deal for me. Other than having to buy a new tire due to taking a nail in the sidewall, all I do is put gas in the car and make the monthly payment. Caddy pays for ALL of the maintenance.
  • Options
    carnoughtcarnought Member Posts: 10
    I see all your points, but I don't know if it's that I grew up in Wisconsin or what (as opposed to N.Y.), but I will tip a service manager IF I feels that they deserve it and not before. If I don't get good service from them I simply either don't go back or I'm not a repeat cutomer of the car. I don't try to be a big-shot or anything in dealing with them but neither am I arrogant or condescending. As someone else pointed out, I try to treat these folks with mutual respect. This is more than I the customer get back from these Caddy dealers, and I do not think I need to buy that from them. The analogy with the expensive dinner does not apply...it's comparing a high priced competitive item (the luxury car) with a shortterm rental(a meal).
  • Options
    ARe you saying that the Caddy dealers in Wisconsin are cheesy? (sorry, couldn't help myself. Pun intended)
  • Options
    If it doesn't do anything for you, don't do it. I find it is a usefull tool. All service are equal. Some are just a little more equal. Heh, Heh... ;)
  • Options
    How do you like the Nightvision feature? I noticed you mentioned yours had it. Anyone elese here with a Deville have Nightvision? Also, I re-read the MT comparison test and they really did not give the Caddy much mention. They went on and on about the 740's rear seat and how you could cross your legs back there, yet the Caddy has 2 more inches of rear seat room than the 740. I have sat in the back of a 2000 DTS and it is very comfortable. I have also sat in a 740 at an auto show and I will say, the foot rests are nice, but the DTS was nearly as comfortable. The only thing the DTS needs is the adjustable lumbar for the rear seats and full sized rear seat headrests like the DHS has.
  • Options
    etharaon, Night Vision a great aid in rural areas as well as dimly lite side street and toll roads. While heads up viewing could be even wider , it a super safety aid. I love it. As for BMW 740IL , my son has the 750IL which is the same body and specs but with the V12 engine. Its is a great car, but long of tooth. Rear seat leg roon in our 2001 DHS is indeed better. Navigation System is much harder to use than in our DHS. For instance, BMW requires every address to be typed in , with Cadillac's system can be used with/or without actual address. . You merely "touch and drag across map to destination and enter by simply pressing screen on the location selected....route planning is automatic....COOL and EASY! My DHS has the Adaptive front seat....very comfortable and automatic rear seats lumber for passengers. The BMW 's while a fine machine is very expensive. They run from $76,000 to $96,000 with the V12 engine . The Cadillac is a bargin by comparision. While my portfolio is much larger the my son's , he must be confident that is included in the trust. I just won't spend $96,000 on a car, any car. The BMW certainly isn't worth +$40,000 more than this fine 2001DHS.
  • Options
    ROB, Thanks for SmartCare review. I will check into it . There must be some cost involued if Cadillac ordered as a sale promotion and value added item. Maybe someone know the answer to SmartCare cost? Thanks again, TAMCO
  • Options
    When we purchased our new DHS just before Labor Day, the dealership gave us the option to buy the SmartCare program (3,000 mile oil/filter changes and 6,000 tire rotations for 48 months / 50,000 miles) for about $545. I did the math and this is a good idea, so we paid for this. I was not aware, however, that some are getting this for free. Can't complain, since I only paid $44,073 for our 2000 DHS.

We asked that the dealer put a hood ornament on our DHS. They did this work yesterday, but ordered a gold Cadillac hood ornament (the DHS is cashmere with some chrome trim - no gold). We're bringing it back for a chrome one.

Have any other DHS owners had the ornament installed and had any problems? Seems odd that Cadillac would put a gold ornament on this car...?
  • Options
    tonorad- So you had a hood ornament installed in addition to the ornament in the grille? Each to his own, I guess.

The DHS theoretically replaces the d'Elegance in the line-up, which came standard with gold ornamentation. Tasteful owners also upgraded the nameplates and deck lid emblems to gold as well. Some of us went so far as to get center caps with matching gold ornamentation. Therefore, it seem logical that someone wishing to put add ornamentation to a DHS would want it guilded.
  • Options
    philly, I have never been referred to as "tasteful" but altho I did get the nameplate and deck lid in gold. It looks great on White Diamond DHS. Me, tasteful, eh,.... nah but it looks good . I have Night Vision and the designers left the CREST off the grill altogether. It appears if something was forgotten! I wonder if CREST interferes with the Night Vision Camera. If the CREST does not interfere, why was it not includes in GOLD PACKAGE? Anyone know the answer ot CREST question on Night Vision? Tonorad, thanks for info on GM SmartCare and cost. I check with my service Mgr. and he tells me GM SmartCare is usually ordered from the Salesman when the car is sold. Mainly, as part of a lease sale therfore cost is included in monthly lease. Do you think the salesman might get a commission on the added SmartCare sale much like he would on undercoating, Special Finish Waxing and fabric Scotchguard, etc. As far as the math is concerned it does seem to be an cost advantage here in the Midwest. TAMCO
  • Options
    The reason I asked is because I saw a DTS w/o NV that had the standard ornament mounted in the grille and an additional hood ornament (base Deville style) on the hood. This looked very...um...out of place to me. Perhaps even, tacky.

Anyway didn't an ornament come mounted flat on your hood? That looks pretty cool in gold, especially on the White Diamond.
  • Options
    philly7, Night Vision grill w/o WREATH looks incomplete somehow, especially insomuch as White Diamond comes with dark gray grill. The DTS grill are painted the same color as car. Maybe that's the answer to the problem, repaint the gray grill White Diamond. Or retrofit standard wheath on gray grill. Maybe I just should learn it live with the plain look. Does this plain bother anyone else? Cadillac Detriot surely must have thought this thru. Oh well, the Night Vision is a super techno aid. Thanks for your input, pal. TAMCO
  • Options
    on DHS's and DTS's that have the Nightvision option, the grill is a flat black/dark gray color with the circle that frames the NV camera lense. To put it another way, when you get nighvision, you get a flat black grill (not chrome or body colored). AND, on the DTS at least, the Cadillac wreath and crest logo is mounted flat on the front center of the hood.

I am trying to remember now if the DHS without nightvision has the grill mounted or hood mounted crest? I beleive it is grill mounted, (as it is not the DTS), and it therefore stands to reason that with the nightvision option, the crest would be mounted flat on the hood as described above for the DTS.

It is certainly strange that yours came with no crest at all. Also, the grill might look good if your were to have it painted the factory white diamond! That'd probably cost too much for what it would be worth, however...
  • Options
    sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    Could Cadillac find a better way to make the grill look better and have it painted like the rest of exterior with the Night Vision lense attached around it?
  • Options
    Or should I say with the lense attached in the middle with the grill that is painted with the same exterior of the car?
  • Options
    Fellows, I have the 2001 DHS with Night Vision with crest/wreath emblem on hood like the DTS however, in DHS model has GREY grill w/o WREATH around the center grill housing for the Night Vision. DTS grills are indeed color co-cordinated with color of the DTS. However, DHS Night Vision grills are gray. Trust this clears the matter up. The issue is the grey grill WITHOUT WREATH around the NV lens opening still looks like something is missing. Thanks for your comment but does anyone know if there i a technical reason a WREATH to finish the lens opening is NOT technically permitted???? It is just a design thing with me. Any answers? Again, thanks for your continued patience with this wreath issue. TAMCO
  • Options
    Two things:

First, I am pretty positive that the DTS with nightvision gets the gray grill as well, not color coordinated as you say. Are you sure about that? I recall the 2000's all having the gray grill. The nightvision requires that grill with the open circle in the center framing the lense, without the wreath and crest in that same spot, where it would otherwise be on a non nightvision equipped car.

To me, the reason there is no wreath and crest in the center where the "hole" is is obvious because the nightvision camera lense cannot be obstructed. It's the same as with any normal photo cameras. Also,putting the crest below that opening would look wierd, I think.

BMW and MB put their logo on the front center of the hood, so why not Cadillac?

As for why the grill is not color coordinated with the car, I do not know. All I can think of is that there are not enough of these cars with nightvision to have a "mass production" level assembly line in any one color to make it an effective process.

Also, the gray grill, esthetically pleasing or not, distinguishes your car as being a nightvision car, which is rare enough and unique enough to give you more bragging rights!
  • Options
    I believe that the Cadillac logo with the crest is placed on the grill on the DHSes and the DTSes that do not have the Night Vision option, because the grills are idential for cars with or without Night Vision. Therefore, the logo takes the place of the Night Vision "camera" and vice versa.

When we rented a base DeVille, the hood-mounted logo and crest were very asthetically pleasing - a constant reminder (like you need one, right?) that you are riding in a Cadillac. So, when my wife and I began looking at DHSes to purchase, we were disappointed that the logo was on the grill and not on the hood.

Our salesman told us that many people who buy DHSes routinely put the logo with the crest on the hood. While we were originally concerned that this would look tacky (a logo on the grill AND on the hood), it looks "in place" and retains the Cadillac class and style.

Unfortunately, a gold hood ornament clashes with chrome wheels and chrome trim. So, Monday morning she goes back in for a crhome hood ornament.

I have about 700 miles on my new DHS and absolutely LOVE it. First G.M. product I've owned and I'm very, very happy.

I hope to be a Cadillac owner for life. And, since we are both 31, that could be a long time, God willing.
  • Options
    Please careful read question! Wreath AROUND lens openning...NO CREST TO BLOCK LENS. Crest and Wreath is on the DHS hood already. We all understand lens can NOT be blocked. It is just that without a wreath AROUND the len's openning it looks so incomplete and plain. "Wreath AROUND hole."..understand....oh, well. If you do not understand by now, it must be my fault!!!! Sorry. I really thought someone would understand this design issue. With or without the len's opening wreath, this DHS is one of the best cars I have every driven. Maybe without this wreath "weight and air flow is reduced and thus gas milage is improved," ....ya, right! Thanks, anyway for your input guys. . TAMCO
  • Options
    This is out of control.

Tamco- I wreath absent of crest placed around the NV opening in the grille could prove to be problematic to the NV sensor (camera) and would, most assuredly look out of place and perhaps even tacky (my opinion).

Tonorad- I am glad that you are happy with the duplicate ornamentation. I have seen this done on both a DTS & DHS and I don't particularly care for it, but each to his own.

Now, my question, has anyone w/ a NV equipped care had the front and rear ornaments and deck lid emblems guilded? How does it look? My car will be black on black which looks great with gold emblems.
  • Options
    I hear you now. It was an issue of semantics wherein when you were just saying "wreath", and meaning the wreath ONLY, while I was always thinking you were referring to the complete logo.

Given that the Cadillac logo is not just a wreath nor just the crest, but always both together, I would have never thought of just one of them by itself, nor would I ever even imagine that Cadillac would put just the wreath someplace without the crest.

So, no, I am not surprised that the absence of the logo on the grill on nightvision equipped cars means the logo is not there in its entireity. From Cadillac's standpoint, separating the wreath from the crest would be like Mercedes separating the star from the circle, or BMW separating the letters "BMW" from the blue and white round logo, or Lexus separating the "L" from the ovoid circle. The logo is the logo and they would not pick it apart.

The idea that I have always had would be that Caddy would come up with a flat round clear plastic piece that had the logo on it using the technology that provides for the mirrored look you see on some glass windows and sunglasses, wherein you get that mirror reflective look on one side, but you can see though it on the other side without obstruction. Something like you see on TV cop shows with the room next to the interrogation room.

Seems to me that this could be done so that the nightvision lense could see through the back side of this plastic "face plate", while viewers from the front were seeing the Cadillac logo.

I suppose that this technology requires some kind of metal particles or something, and that would mess up the nightvision camera.

Aside from that, I am sure that the nightvision technology will some day use a smaller camera lense, and that smaller lense can be integrated better into the front of the car without being such a noticeable part of the design.

Anyway, point now understood. Glad you love your first GM car and that it is a Cadillac! Drive in peace, too, knowing that you have a very unique vehicle on the road today in the WHOLE WORLD! The Grey grill is the visual indicator to all others that you are one such lucky driver!!
  • Options
    Tonorad...
    I hope you are still a happy GM customer after you have to deal with lackluster GM/Cadillac service departments.....no comparison with those of Lexus, Mercedes, you name it!
  • Options
    It sucks that your local dealership(s) seemingly aren't capable of providing the level of service that they darn well should be, however you would be remiss in making a blanket statement that Cadillac service (in whole) falls short in comparision to any other luxury car dealer's service (in whole).

There have been plenty of posters on these various Cadillac topics who have experienced outstanding, unbeatable service at their respective Cadillac dealership, myself included.
    In fact, the service levels I experienced after leasing my first '94 STS were in large part the reason I chose to stick with Cadillac when it came time to get a new car.

I personally know several BMW and Mercedes owners who can share their horror stories both about problems with their cars as well as lousy service and attention from their dealer(s) (and them getting ripped off in the process!) I have also read some posts in the Lexus topics (especially the GS topic) where people have had problems with their cars and the dealers have given them the cold shoulder to their problems, but have been more than happy to charge them $100.00 for an oil change and tire rotation. $100 clams for a 5,000 mile "check up" and oil change!!!! Can you spell RIP OFF??

The real issue here is that Cadillac does not have consistent service across its dealership network.

I heard or read somewhere more than a year ago that Cadillac does plan to reduce the number of dealers by getting rid of the smaller mom & pop size dealerships that either cannot or will not "change" their ways and invest in the technology and personnel infrastructure required to meet the inventory and service levels expected and demanded of today's consumers in today's competitive market.

I also remember reading or hearing that Cadillac will be doing a complete "overhaul" of its dealership network, including giving them a new visual look, but more importantly giving them training and a new corporate charter they must adhere to in order to remain an authorized Caddy dealer. This is supposed to start I believe in 2001.

Unfortunatly, none of that helps you today. As for me, as long as I am getting excellent service, I personally would rather be with an organization that will only continue to get even better because it KNOWS and has publicly admitted that it has lots of work to do to regain its once top stature, than be with an organization that is good but is already, or has begun to become, very arrogant in its ways (read Mercedes, Lexus). Remember, Lexus is not immune to having happen to it what it did to Mercedes in the early '90's.

Then there is that part of me that in a wierd way hopes Cadillac is always playing "catch-up" so that way I can continue to get their excellent and uniquely styled cars at a much better price and payment than those imports!!
  • Options
    containerguycontainerguy Member Posts: 1
    On August 1st, I took delivery of a 2000 Cadillac DHS from a dealer through Autobytel. I asked the Autobytel sales manager if the car had been waxed. It has a nice shine but does not have that slippery feeling that you have with wax. The color is Diamond White. The sales manager said that with the latest developments of improving auto paint, that waxing is not necessary. He also mentioned something about a clear substance that is sprayed on the car for protection. He was very vague about his answer. As mentioned, the car does have a shiney finish but not that smooth knuckle velvet finish feeling. It's kinda hard to explain. Anyone out there know anything about this? The hood, roof and trunk lid do have that slippery finish, but not the sides of the car. On previous cars I purchased, when the sides got a little splashed with dirt, they would rinse off driving through a rain. On this car, the dirt seems to stay on until it is washed. Also, squeeks in the dash, plastic rubbing against plastic especially if the air conditioning is on. It's no big deal, just anoying for an expensive car like the cadillac. Maybe I expect too much. Would be interesting to hear from someone about the dealer waxing a new car for prep delivery.
  • Options
    I've always been told not to wax a brand new car for about 6 months as the finish needs to harden. I don't know if this is true anymore or not.
  • Options
    Not waxing a car for 6 months does remain true, from everything I have read, due to the clear-coat finish on new cars.

However, just check the build date of the car, since the paint might already be 6 months "old" or more based on that.

I recently bought some Zymol wax that I had read about. It was available at Target, but it is more expensive than the typical "Turtle Wax" croud of products. It is a light blue color, and is made of all natural ingredients and smells like a tropical suntan oil. I used it on my '99 STS (Moonstone color) and it came out great. It gives that velvety smooth feel. I'd recommend it.

Containerguy, I would have the dealer look into and fix the squeaks next time you bring it in for an oil change. If it seems to be worse with the AC on, do you think it may have something to do with the fan? If it is a consistent enough noise, then make them go for a ride with you to hear it before you just drop it off. If they acknowledge hearing it to you, then chances are very good that they can and will find it and fix it. Don't settle.
  • Options
    Hey, pals, Thanks for all your comments. You all have made your feelings clear..by the way, Robh3 this is the 12th new Cadillac for me not the first GM. Our 2001 DHS, with one of everything on it, is the best yet. With a list price of $57,312. It is a great value when compared with other luxury models. Beter than all the other Cadillac I had as well as the M/B's and Lincoln's that we owned in past. And Philly7: thanks for input, as for Gold Package, I had the trunk emblem and hood emblem which lays FLAT on the hood on our Night Vision model DHS. Gold looks great on our Diamond White too. I am sure I will learn to live without wreath around NV lens, maybe I have the grill printed white like DTS models . Tho the originl Escalades were a poor SUV choice in the past, the new 2202 Cadillac SUV looks like a real winner. See the home page www.edumunds.com for article, specs and photos. Check it out! If 2002 ESCALADE is as good as it seems, I will replace my TAHOE with these new Escalade. Again, thanks to all. TAMCO
  • Options
    tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    A guy has pneumonia and is in bed for one week, comes back and there are 52 new posts! I love it. I'm going to try and answer some of the previous questions and statements over the last week:

Buy-back warranty: If you purchase a GM Buy back, you WILL have to sign a document saying it is such and the warranty drops to 12 months / 12,000 miles from the day you take delivery. 48/50K no longer applies.

DTS grill w/ NV: Not colored. Same dark gray as regular or NV DHS. DTS w/o NV.. color coordinated.

Philly: I understand your feelings, and hope someday, and in some manner, a car guy changes them. Until then, keep working for the best deal you can. God bless you if the dealer gives it to you for that price.

Allocation: Cadillac is strictly "Turn and Earn". If you sell one, you get one. Our dealership happen to sell a TON of 99 concours and D'elegances. Consequently, we got a TON of DTS and DHS models. Currently, I do not have 1 2001 Deville on the lot. I have about 10 2001 DHS and DTS. This is starting to hurt my business.

Tamco: Hope the trip went well for you, got your message.

Leather protectant: We at the dealership use Lyxol (sp?) to treat and clean all of our cars. Seems to be the best stuff on the market.

Waxing a new car: Go right ahead and do it. We don't wait 6 months before waxing a vehicle. In fact, if you drive a black demo (only managers get those), it is mandatory that you have it LIGHTLY buffed with wax once a month. Nothing worse than having those fine scratches on a brand new car. We use a product very similiar to Meguiar's. Make sure you get the polish. The other stuff has a real fine grit and will actually take off a layer of paint if you aren't careful. Remember, the paint is only as thick as a business card.

Tipping a dealer: Are you crazy? Just kidding. Actually, the nicer someone is to me, the better they will get treated. That doesn't mean that the guy who comes in demanding invoice gets treated badly. However, the guy who gave me a bottle of wine (he owns a liquor store chain) always gets his car washed after he has the oil change done. He never has to wait in the lounge for more than a half hour either (wink,wink). The guy who did nothing but complain about the deal the entire time he was in here? Let's just say I don't bend over backwards to give the same considerations. Not the way it should be, but that is the reality of it. Tipping is a bit much though. A simple Thank you very much gets the job done for me. And you will get your car washed.

Tonorad: I also put hood ornatements on the DHSes at the customers request. Are you talking about the standing ornatement or the one that lays flat? I do the standing usually.

I hope I got to all of them. If there was something I missed, please let me know. Jeff
  • Options
    Glad your back. Hope you feel better. This place just isn't the same w/o our "insider".

Don't push yourself too hard. It's going to be a long hard flu season and people recovering from pneumonia are especially open to re-infection. Especially car dealers (;

Philly
  • Options
    I do realize that with any brand of luxury vehicle,the service wiil vary from city to city. But, keep in mind that I am referring to not one but two dealerships in a medium to large metropolitan area, which are shamefully inadequate and maddening enough to make this auto enthusiast change car brands!

P.S. I have NO intention of tipping unless I get stellar service first. I will not reward subpar
    service.
  • Options
    artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    Even if it turns out the same, you would be better off forgetting about getting some of the Holdback and getting more of the dealer cash.
  • Options
    artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    Why is it so hard to "special order" a Cadillac? My dealers just seem to cry and moan if I want to special order a car, even the less than hot selling Eldorado. Is it allotments? Profits? Paperwork? The insistance to sell what is on the lot? They seem more willing to loose the sale than to special order a car, even a ETC!

Please explain "Dealer Cash". Is this in addition to normal MSRP discounts? Lets say Invoice on a STS was $48k, MSRP was $52k and a normal good deal would be $48,600. If this car had a $5k dealer cash allowance, does that mean we would get it for $5k less? Or does dealer cash mean the dealer can provide a lower cost, better trade and make more profit, if he doesn't negoiate it all away? Please explain. Thanks.
  • Options
    ashur1ashur1 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone help me with more specifics on the reprogramming of the ecm for the rough idle problem. I am taking my 2000 in tomorrow for a couple of other things. Just spoke to the service department and they (he) wasn't aware of any fix yet. Is there a service bulletin number? Something? Anything?
  • Options
    tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    Etharmon: That is the oddest combo I have heard of. That could be one of two things. It could be a new 99, but I doubt it. It would have cost the dealer a fortune in floorplan money to keep it around that long. The other could be a custom leahter job. I recently did one for a customer who wanted white leather in a deville. Costs about 3k to have it done, and it looks and feels just like the factory leather. The latter would be my guess.

Philly: Glad to be back and out of my bed. A guy can only watch so much General Hospitol before losing his mind. ;)

Carnought: That is a crying shame that the dealers are that bad. We ran into a problem about 4 years ago with the service manager. Customer comebacks (not fixed right the first time) was at a dealership high. The time it took for a basic repair was too long, and the service writers weren't starting to act like MB employees. We made a major change and are now ranked in the top 5 in the north central zone (about 6 states, roughly 400 dealers) My advice would be to ask to see the owner. Word of caution though, if you go in his office with a big chip on your shoulder, nothing will happen. If you go in with the attitude like you are just trying to help, it will work much better and he is more apt to listen. Telling the dealer you won't buy another vehicle from him because of service or lack thereof won't hurt either.

Artmbgolf: You are 100% correct. Dealer cash goes to the dealer. It is not taxed, unlike customer rebates, because it comes off the price of the car. The dealer is not obligated in anyway to pass this along to you however. I like to use a part of it to lower the cost of a new car and the rest to increase the amount I give you for your vehicle. Edmunds always seems too high on their appraisals! If the car invoices for 48k and there is 5k dealer cash, the car now costs 43k. If there is no trade, I usually give it all to the customer.
  • Options
    They been showing a new Cadillac commercial for two weeks or three now. They had maybe like 5 or 6 DTSs (maybe more) racing side by side in a desert. All the cars are Neutral Shale. Have anyone seen the neat commercial? It was advertise with Cadillac.com at the conclusion.
  • Options
    The commercial you are referring to is a contest that Cadillac is sponsoring in a virtual swim meet between 5 legendary Olympic athletes. The meet is being held during the close of the games on 10/1, I believe. You can enter on the Cadillac home page by clicking in the lower right corner. It seems a little silly to me, but then again an Olympian I am not.
  • Options
    The White on red STS was the first time I had seen one of the current model in that combo(it wasn't on a dealer's lot, I just saw it parked at the mall). According to the brochures I have the red(mulberry) was an interior color option on 98s and 99s. I'll agree, it is rare as that was only the second time I have seen a current model Seville with this interior color. The first was about a year ago and it was the red with a black exterior. I have yet to see one with the blue interior as this too was offered in 98 and 99. Most that I see have either neutral shale or pewter and I've seen a few black on black STSs. My guess is that both of the "rare" combo cars that I have seen were special ordered and not from dealer stock.
  • Options
    lehr597lehr597 Member Posts: 3
    Will I be able to file a suit against My dealer??
    In March 2000, I purchased a preowned 1999 Etc in white diamond/neutral shale cream puff with only 5,400 mi. I paid $34,000. This was a GM BUY BACK that the dealer said the previous owner returned because the water would enter around the door seals and not to worry because all of the seals had been replaced, he also said he believed the previous buyer had a case of buyers remorse & didnt want the car. The sales rep assured me I still have the 4,yr 50,000 mi, warranty, & not to worry. when i signed the deal, he also handed me a brochure from gm that states it has 12 mo/ 12,000 mi. warranty in addition to the 4yr 50,00mi warranty for added protection. I am very very up set that on one of your posts you stated that buy backs onlyhave 12 mo. warranty!!! DID my sales rep LIE!!!!??? What is even more ironic is that this is my first new car and when i signed the deal my mother had video taped the entire transaction for a memory as my first nice car, We recorded the sales rep clearly maintaining i also would get the 4 yr 50,000 mi warranty!! I need you professional advice !! thanks DAn