Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    We are talking about the current Deville and Seville. Cadillac lovers will really enjoy this article, especially since the author, Jamie Kitman, usually only praises European cars.
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    The repair/maintenance costs do concern me. While Cadillacs are traditionally cheaper to maintain than most other luxury cars, thats still more than a more plebian car. The new GM midsize SUVs have really caught my attention and I would be willing to spend a bit more a month and get a brand new vehicle and have the peace of mind of a full warranty. That said, I drove a 98 STS the other day and LOVED it. The sound of that V8 was so wonderful and it rode so smoothly over rough roads, yet felt very tight on the curves. It only has 36K, but the dealer wants too much(29,999) and the interior was rather dirty and the paint had a few chips. So like yourself, I may go the new "lesser" car route this time and save toward a new Caddy or one that is just 1-2 years old next time. As much as I would love a Cadillac, I could feel right at home in a GMC Envoy or Chevy Trailblazer. Another option might be a 98 or 99 Olds Aurora. I'm seeing those advertised for anywhere from $16-19K with relatively low mileage.
  • gw7gw7 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased 98 Deville Concours a year ago with 32K. Alternator failed in 24 hours, but roadside service was excellent and out of town dealer replaced promptly. Only other warranty was a brake problem also handled promptly and a noise in steering. Steering noise not totally fixed, but dealer says is not unsafe and will be fixed free when GM comes up with one even after warranty. Does not effect performance at all. Otherwise, I like car very much.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...I have found repair expenses on my 1994 Deville about the same as they were for the 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS it replaced. In some cases, I'm actually surprised at how inexpensive some of the repairs are. This is probably one of the biggest benefits of Cadillacs sharing components with other GM makes.
  • 9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    Had a little problem with the wife's 96 Deville over the weekend..Didn't want to startbut after lots of cranking it ran and did it for me Saturday when i drove the 83 miles for a golf match..After sitting at the course for 6 hrs it didn't want to start but after some cranking it ignited.

Sunday it wouldn't run so I called the Caddy emergency service, Monday and they came out with a flat bed and jump started.. Drove to nearest Caddy dealer and got a rental car from Enterprise and they said it needed a new battery; after all it was cranked for two days, told then to check the A-B sensors and they finally decided it was the fuel pump in the gas tank..It took two days and told them to put in a new battery so to get that out of the way forever..4 1/2 yrs old anyway..

Fuel pump is located in the gas tank so the gas tank is removed.. I estimate the repair was about $700 and the two day car rental was covered.. Car has 56k miles and owned since new with every winter in Fla..

With Cadillacs it doesn't take much repair to run up a big bill..Between the Northstar, electronics, and the a/c system you can break the bank quick..

The Cadillac roadside service is very responsive..

This Enterprise store's largest customer is the Cadillac dealer and by 9;30 am Mon morn they had out 12 rentals.. While I was standing in the service write-up area there were two 02s brought in on flatbed carriers..These hot weekends are hard on Cadillacs..

Meanwhile the 99 Intrigue gets the wife's abuse and I took the rental car piling on couple hundred miles..

No great shakes but the Major Guard does work and comes in handy to get things done in a timely fashion..
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    Fellows, I enjoy reviewing your inputs and have benefitted from all your remarks. For those of you who have had problems I truly feel for you. However, after 15400 miles of city and Hi-way driving this 2001 DHS is a dream...agile, FAST, responsive and fun to drive. Sure the seat belt locks were recalled...not a big deal. Oil consumption...acceptable: 2000-2500 miles per quart at hi-way speeds of 77-80 mph Gas milage 28.3 mpg. at those speeds and as high as 31.7 mpg at 64 mph on trips of 200 miles on expressways in Ill and WS. Night Vision is very helpful and Navigatioal System is something I will NEVER be without on future cars. On Star service fantastic..reservation and getting locations/ resturants and motels while on the road is valuable. Personal Calling and stock quotes cool too. Air preasure monitoring system neet too. Sure you can uses a gauge but not while driving 70 mph. The trip to Florida last winter was great and the trip back to Chicago thru North and South Carolina the car handled excellent to outstanding on the straight-a-ways,in the mountains and on winding roads. All in all after owning 12 other new Cadillacs, then two Lincolns, a Porsche, two S series Mercedes and a 1999 BMW 7 series, a Pontiac, and two Suburbans and a Tahoe. This 2001 DHS is the best car I ever have owned or drove. It is FUN, fast and SMOOTH as silk. As a said earlier and truly am sorry to hear of other who have had problems. I am ,however, glad CADILLAC built this great machine for me. And we love the Adaptive Seats and Rear Sun Shadeand the rear window shades on long drives. But, most of all, "blowing off" kids in so called Sports cars....0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds isn't bad fo a luxury cars, eh! The aftermarket #33-2063-1 K&N Air Fliter does make a difference. Trust all the Cadilac owners with problems will get their problems resolved soon and experience the FUN of driving a truly great machine. As for foreign cars, I have owned them but the BEST car available in 2001 is Cadillac. THAT'S A FACT, JACK! TAMCO
  • cadburycadbury Member Posts: 6
    I currently own a 98 Deville, with 32,000 miles, and I have been receiving solicitations from various sources asking me to purchase an extended warranty. Is my best bet to buy it through an outside company, from my dealer, through GM or on the internet? I'm trying to get the most amount of coverage for the least amount of money. So, where should I buy?
  • mcfinsermcfinser Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 DTS. I notice a "moaning" noise and feel a vibration in the steering wheel after going from reverse to a right turn. Dealer has experienced it and says it is caused by a vibration in the power steering hoses. Says GM is aware of this and is redesigning hoses. Also happens in 2001 Buick Park Avenue. Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts on this?
  • tedduncantedduncan Member Posts: 3
    Oh Yeah! My 2000 Deville had the same problem. they replaced hoses and noise is gone now. They also told me that GM was working on a permanent fix.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I saw my first burguny Deville with a white tonneau top today. I didn't even know they made those anymore. Of course, it was an older couple driving. I've only ever seen ones on the old Deville in the deep south~ A.R.
  • bigdaddyjunglebigdaddyjungle Member Posts: 1
    There is one for sale for 12,995. It has 40,000 miles on it. CarFax reported clean and one owner. Looking at the car, it looks brand new. spotless.

I have looked at the messages, but don't see many things about the 1996.

Can anyone tell me of things to worry about or watch for? What will I be in for with this car, or is it a good or very good car.

I don't think it is a concourse.

Thanks.
    Owner of one since new..Wifes car and kept in immaculate condition, always garaged,Mich 8 months and Florida 4 months, no snow..probably 45% of driving done at 75mph+..Current mileage 57k and had fuel pump and original battery replaced last week..

No serious warranty problems during new car warranty period; however if you keep the car beyond that I would recommend some type of extended coverage..

If you believe in a free lunch go with the non-manufacturers warranty..

Any Cadillac dealer can run a history of warranty repairs through the original coverage..I just had a dealer run a history of repairs on a 93 Allante Northstar-powered and it was a long list. Allantes had a bumper to bumper of 48/50 and a 84/100 engine/corrosion coverage..current mileage on the car is only 43k..

I consider the Cadillac the fragile car requiring more than average service needs..I had bought three new Caddys for the wife and personally they are a poor investment with a "zippo resale value".

A used Caddy is the only way to get involved; meaning 1-2 yr old, low mileage with savings of at least 35% and the warranty coverage..

I will admit that Caddy does a great job on the Warranty coverage..The dealer really beats up the factory..
  • vasgarvasgar Member Posts: 7
    Thank goodness I decided to review comments of Devilled owners on this informative bulletin board. I was considering the purchase of a "new" 2001 Devilled but no longer. I have driven Auras since 1988 and I have never experience a mechanical failure. After reading many of the horror stories on this URN I will remain with Aura. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I GUESS i'll have to trade in my trouble free
    96 Deville tomorrow for one of those Wonderful
    Acuras. Read thru those threads (acura) and it seems they are no better than Caddy........
    No flames just my .02.............Geo
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...it doesn't carry the aura of say a Lexus or a Mercedes. Its styling is rather uninspired and I can't help but think of it as a gussied-up Accord. Even the engine is marked with Honda's big "H." Acura is to the Japanese luxury car market what Magnavox was to video games. Magnavox was the first with a home video game system in 1972 with the Odyssey system. Today's kids would probably ask, "What's an Odyssey?" Acura was first with a Japanese luxury sedan, but Lexus just overwhelmed the market to the point where Acura is merely an also-ran.

As far as an Acura vs. Cadillac, the Caddy wins hands down! An Acura, however, makes for a nice Japanese Buick.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    The only Acura that is truly all of that is the NSX/NSX-T exotic 2-seater which is very limited and expensive.

All the other Acuras are good and getting better perhaps but not in the same league with Cadillac.

J "CaddyLac"
    Again, I get a kick out of these folks who hear a few problems with a Cadillac or American car and decide "back to foriegn for me". Acuras have problems too. Ever snap a timing belt on one of those? We're talking $$$ if you do. Cadillacs and most American cars use timing chains which very seldom break. Ever see an Acura dealer that doesn't have a service department?
    From the Edmunds m & r board
    Lexus 314 posts
    Accord 1394 posts
    And still growing too.
    And MOST aren't compliments either.
    AND caddies are junk ?????????? LMFAO.........Geo
    Can't beat the pricing on a low mileage 96 Deville if one is interested..

My son a few months ago sold his 94STS w/137k miles for 7500..ain't life great..He had the car since new.

Bought a used 01 Seville w/STS wheels and recently bought a 93 Allante for a summer runabout..

I am done buying new Caddies for the low mileage used ones with warranty are great buys..Looking at 01 STS 8k miles for around 34k..having another Caddy dealer checking the car's history..

Don't listen to the Pacific Rim car owners for they don't like to tell us about their service dept visits..
    Aint' that the truth !!!!!!!!!
    Most of them think the M&R board is
    a lie and All the import problems are
    lies posted by GM owners.......HA HA.
    .......................Geo
  • pdc4pdc4 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a '97 Deville. I want to add a CD player/changer, as it only has a cassette player.
    I really enjoy the volume and select controls on the steering column. Anybody added a CD player that would allow continued use of these controls?
    Any advice on sound system upgrades on this model car would be appreciated.
  • DimaDima Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,

Looking for Silver/Shale or Oatmeal DTS in New England. Could anybody recommend a Dealer who would talk invoice?

Thanks!
    I've got a dealer installed trunk mounted
    10 disc changer in the trunk. It's a Delco
    unit installed by the dealer. It works off
    the indash radio and steering wheel controls
    too. Try a stereo store ..they are a heck of
    a lot cheaper and it still hooks into the
    radio anyway...Good luck.............Geo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should always realize that because the platform on which Town Hall spent about three years required stopping and restarting a discussion after about 500 posts, that number means absolutely nothing. What was transferred here to the active boards were all active topics on the old platform at the time. You'd have to research all the archives to find out how many posts have really been made on a particular topic.

(Besides, having spent a year in Maintenance and Repair myself, I gotta tell you that numbers of posts really have very little value to determining reliability of any particular make.)

One more thing - please be careful with your acronymns, implied profanities should not be used here.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Of little value to whom ? Simply my observation
    on complaints on certain cars in the m & r thread.
    SO in my opinion some makes seem to have more
    REAL WORLD PROBLEMS...
    ALSO i have not implied anything to anyone
    Or tried not to.
    You must own one of those cars i mentioned...HAHA
    Scribble me or whatever I could care less.....
    Have a nice day.................Geo
    I am simply observing that after reading all of the posts on the Maintenance and Repair Board through December 2000, that simply counting the numbers of posts in any one topic (without further analysis) does not provide any useful data. You are free to disagree with my conclusion. And no, as a matter of fact, I do not have a vehicle in your fight.

And I also want to point out to you and anyone else interested that because of the history of Town Hall, the numbers of posts you see in a current discussion today do not necessarily represent the numbers of posts on the particular topic - the archives must be researched to obtain that information.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Where in New England are you? My father got his '99 STS at Stephens (Stevens?) Cadillac {Stephens World of Wheels} in Bristol, CT. I can get the name of his salesman, from whom my Dad has purchased several cars. Maybe a personal referral will help with the price incentives.

rob
    I have read thru most if the 1394 posts on
    honda, and 314 lexus 400 posts. Would you like
    me to tell you how many were complaints or
    compliments.....Just sick of those american
    car bashers..That think the imports are so
    great. Those m &r thread posts are REAL WORLD
    usage not some magazine test jockey stuff.
    Just my .02 Geo
    Check out the accord quality control issues.
    Posts 185 thru 213. Now they are fighting
    among themselves. Instead of a gm guy posting
    lies about their flawless hondas now its a
    couple of anti honda guys. Hondas have no
    problems ask the honda salesman that has
    his head in the sand.
    let's return to the regularly scheduled topic about the Cadillac DeVille.

Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I agree with you, but lets not turn this into a US versus foriegn debate. Those debates are so futile as there is no clear winner. If a glorified Honda(i.e. Acura) rocks someone's boat, let them enjoy their ride. Like I've said before, have you ever seen any car dealership(foriegn or domestic) that doesn't have a service department?
    At least these guys are talking about cars. The folks over on the LS430 topic are talking more about cameras than anything else.
  • dukeofchurchildukeofchurchil Member Posts: 6
    Are Cadillac Program Cars with warrantee good deals from dealers? A 2001 devilled program car with 25k will sell for around 32,000 in central Texas.

How many years and miles ( 15,000/yr) should one of these cars last if properly maintained?
    Lots of miles for a program car..Ask the Cadillac dealer to run a history on the car and let you read the printout.. it will give all warranty repair data and dates/mileage.. 25k miles is not a program car..Sounds like a rental deal..

$32k is too much for a plain Deville.. My son bought a 01 SLS in March, 7500 miles w/STS wheels, diamond white and sunroof for 36k including 6% sales tax.. The car was an Enterprise rental car and was purchased by the Caddy dealer at auction/sale..The dealer gave my son a story about its first life which was all baloney..You can buy used 01 STS for 36k w/9k miles..

Buy an extended warranty just before the original warranty expires because the Caddys really don't grow old gracefully.. Buy the warranty through the dealer and dicker the price because it is flexible..

I am a three Caddy owner, no big dealer, all bought new, not leased..Keep 5 yrs, wife's car and receives excellent care..The northstar system looks great on paper but it has some odd problems which out of warranty are costly..

The resale sucks so going into the deal; beat up the dealer or the private party..I live in Michigan..the home of the beasts...Good Luck..
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    I just posted a picture of the next DeVille on my car page.

Not an all new car. But new front and back, and revised interior to match the new CTS.

http://thehollywoodextra.com
    Wow, great shot of the '03 Deville. Looks like either chrome, or brushed aluminum sideview mirrors! Suprised but happy to see Cadillac make such a relatively drastic design change to the car only three years into the current model design. They usually have taken designs through a five year cycle.

Are you sure that this is slated for release in '03, as in, one year from now? (the '02's are on the lot already).

The front of the CTS looks taller than it does in other photos I've seen.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    If the DTS is the only series in '03, look forward to seeing the super DTS as another trim with advance high tech. and greater performance.

Some issues back of Car and Driver, there was talk about future forecast of the Deville of being the super Deville (DTS) with S-class like features with 400 horsepower. I don't know how true it is but something that similar of what Cadillac is planning out should be a threat to the competition. I could see the DTS and another higher performance DTS coming out in a year and a half.

J "CaddyLac"
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    Please tell me what is 'implied profanities'???
    I spent several years in the far east with my family. I am a 100% American car person. Problem is, where do you find a 100% American car these days? :*)

Nick
  • dunesdunes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Deville at certain speeds and wind conditions has a howling windshield. This is a very rare occurance with all conditions being right. Very difficult for Cadillac service to troubleshoot. Anybody experiencing similar problems or have answers to the problem? Thanks in Advance
    Feel free to email me if you'd like - pat@edmunds.com.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    100% American car is a Cadillac..It may have some offshore parts but it's a USAer..Trust me, I sell the OEM..

Foreign car companies producing cars in our country and Canada are foreign owned--follow so far--they buy approx 85% of their parts from domestic car suppliers/manufacturers which are based in the US or Canada but are also foreign owned..The traditional Big 3 suppliers do very little business with the Pacific Rim names in the USA or Canada. The offshore guys have their own "good old boy network" which operates very well within our country..

They operate in the small towns mainly in the Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee..

I could go on; but my explanation is not appreciated by Edmunds..however I have said nothing out of line or questionable..

I am 67 yrs old; so I can recognize where the auto names started..I think the media and the advertising tend to distort the real picture..I see where Toyota uses the language in their full page Auto ads, stating that they purchase domestically $8 billion worth of parts annually..It's true; Asian owned American suppliers..

The regular Big 3 supplier is in deep trouble and in ten years will be gone..You figure out the rest of the story!!!

Sorry, Pat, but I had to explain a very important side of our hertiage and where it is headed..
    My recently purchased Oldsmobile Intrigue had a sticker which said it was 96% US or Canadian in content. Thats pretty American by today's standards.
    Yes I know about the American, japanese, and the german car market. I lived it every day for 35 years with General Motors. They were trying to unload all their 'inhouse' suppliers. The big problem was the 'just in time' inventory they were trying to maintain and still produce car and car parts like they did 20-30 years ago. They have to control the suppliers completely to make the 'just -in-time' work.
    My first cadillac was a 1949 back in 1953. The last new cadillac was a 1990 deville. I liked that '90 better than any car I've ever owned. Except the front end bounce like the lasebre buick. But I liked the Buick 2nd best. I've had a lot of cars to compare the cadillac to. I've bought a new car or truck every year for the last 25 yrs. Some years a new car and a new truck.
    However, the cadillac is now over 40 grand even with my GM discount. In my opinion,no car is worth 40,000 plus. But who knows, maybe some day......
    Nick
    Sounds like you live in the Motor City area..Cadillacs only cost 40k+ because some people are willing to pay the price..Leasing luxury has provided a way to move mass volumes of cars..Overbuilding to meet financial goals dilutes the resale value; so that's where the value lies..

There are tons of used values with low miles and that great GM warranty which really works with the Cadillac guys..I have bought my last new one for it is foolish to take a 15k hit the first yr..

The 01 DTSs will be plugging up the used car market in 18/24 months so it will make more fun for me in the senior years..

Chasing a 99 Concurs now with under 12k miles..Own a 96 Deville with 57k and the wife will not part with it and my Intrigue is too much fun; so may buy and sell it my daughter in Fla..or just have three beauties in the garage.
  • cadburycadbury Member Posts: 6
    Appears to be $1,180 higher, BUT the leather seats are now standard equip., so that eliminates a $785.00 option, which makes the 02 only $400 more than the 01. This is on the base Deville.

It's about time that leather is now standard, since the only way you could get fabric seats in the past was to special order it.

I would like to see the telescoping steering wheel as part of the comfort & convenience pkg, and make that standard equipment also. After all, this IS a luxury car, isn't it?

Maybe this is the plan for the 03 DTS. Anyone agree?
    for 8 days. This will at least get us back to the top of the list :*)
    Nick
    Any owners of 99s that would care to comment on any issue presenting a quirky problem..As a current owner of a 96 Deville which has performed well and at 57k miles is in pristine condition the chance to pick up another Caddy has arrived..

My 96 is the wifes car; diamond white, chromes and sunroof..Never seen snow and always garaged..

The performance level and handling of the Concurs would be an improvement over the std Deville; not a real fan of a console n the Caddy..The only intriguing thing about the car is the 11k miles and it is dent/ding free..

Any real complaints--fire away..I guess I would have to drive the car for my wife is happy with hers..Spin the 99 Intrigue..
  • cadillac1cadillac1 Member Posts: 51
    My mothers 98 Devill Concourse got to 30k miles problem free and now after a 3,000 mile trip from the Bay Area to Pheonix to vegas and back, the oil level low warning came on. We took it to a gas station and found that it was 2 1/2 quarts low. We put in some 10w 30 and thought everything was ok. Now today, when starting the car, the engine started very rough, so she turned off the car and tryed restarting, now the car wont start at all, but something is really screwed up. When she hit the nob to turn on the lights(thinking the battery may be dying)the lights went on, but the trunk opened and the gas cap did as well(all with the light button). So what could be the problem, if its electrical, why wont the engine start? Secondly, do you guys think its just coincidence that this all happened 3,000 miles after our $800 dollar 30,000 mile servicing? As I speak, Cadillac roadside assistance is towing it in. Thank god the car is still under warranty. Would appreciate your input.
    I don't think 2 1/2 qts. low on oil would
    make the car not start. You did fill it with
    oil right ?? . My woman never has the oil
    checked. About 2 qts low the low oil light
    comes on anyway. Remember the northstar holds
    8 qts. of oil. Just don't tell the dealer the
    oil was low. They might say something like
    owner neglect....WARRANTY VOID !!!!!!!
    Could be something simple like a fuel pump, or
    crank sensor etc...GOOD LUCK.............Geo
    I really don't know what one would do to spend $800 on the 30000 miles service..Change oil, rotate tires, and new air filter would be a ton of work on a 30k car..It's called dealer rip.rip.rip..There isn't a darn thing to do to a Cadillac, but gas and oil..

Sounds like fuel pump or crank sensor..Fuel pump would be more apt to start trouble with cold engine..sonjaab has a good handle on it...

Stop reading the maintenance BS in the back of the owners manual..