Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    psedrish:
    Is your DHS broken-in yet? My '02 DeVille seems to have a lot better acceleration now that it has about 3500 miles on it. But the DTS would be much better because of the lower final drive ratio.
    baron87:
    Whats so ridiculous about a column shifter in a luxury car? Wouldn't that be a matter of opinion? At lease the functions of the Cadillac column shifter are intuitive, unlike the column shifter in the new BMW 7 Series.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    while column shifters are certainly functional, I much prefer a floor/console shifter...and if I really had my druthers, I like hand brakes for parking brakes instead of foot pedals, even though the hand brake takes up some room on the console...yeah, I know...nobody asked...:):):)
  • harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    I had the alternator develop a wine on mine before 50 K; dealership replaced it under warranty.

I was in for an oil change and service manager said, " Can't you hear your alternator wine?" I replied that my wife is in the car most of the time with me and it is hard to tell where the wineing is coming from!!!!

harleybill
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    LOL !........Great post !

BTW: Picked up the CTS Fri.
    Sure hope the BOSS likes this one ~!
    or its a new Lesabre for us......Geo
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    I bought the DHS over the DTS in a fit of practicality....the 6th passenger can make a lot of functional difference (3 couples). I did get all the bells and whistles, including the StabiliTrack II, and at 4,400 miles it runs fine, just not briskly. I too dislike the column shifter and find it imprecise (it also blocks the LEDs on my radar detector unless it's positioned just right). My tires seem to whine a bit, but not my wife....she's a peach :)
  • sanuk72sanuk72 Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same problems described by Loden #743. The dealer also tried the same remedies that seem to work for awhile, but the problem is back. Any thoughts?
    96 Deville 82k still running great.
    Only using 1 qt. oil in 2k miles !
    As you all know have had a new Deville
    for a week. Had a CTS for the weekend !
    Nice cars BUT the woman likes neither !
    Can't see over the seats !
    The v6 CTS sure don't have the guts of
    the Northstar ! She likes the Lesabre
    nice car but NOT a Caddy !
    Guess I gotta keep my fingers crossed
    Living with hot tounge and cold shoulder
    will be hard if we get a car she don't
    like.......................Geo
    Whats with the CTS thread ?
    I see all the import gurus
    and domestic haters RUINED
    that thread ! I want to hear
    more from somebody who OWNS
    and drives one ! I could care
    less about Infinity, Bmw, MB
    etc. I can BUY any car I want!
    And don't care what anybody sez
    about MY choice !
    Wife has to drive it !.........LOL
  • incontrolincontrol Member Posts: 12
    Well, after much research, took delivery of my onyx blue, oatmeal interior DTS last Monday. And what a vehicle it is! Smooth, sleek, powerful are some of the adjectives that come to mind. The more I drive it, the more I love it! It is everything I hoped for, and more. HOWEVER, I will exercise my right to bitchin' by asking the following question: Those yellow warning stickers on the sun-visors, what's up with that?!? You can't remove them, and they look like hell. On my '99 Z28 they just peeled off, thank goodness! So what have YOU done about them? Otherwise, the DTS is the most!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I gave up on the CTS thread over a month ago for the very same reason. Rather than it be a discussion forum for the CTS and some mention of the it's competitors, it became a domestic versus import debate. I too would like to here from some actual CTS owners or those who have driven the car.

incontrol, I'm jealous! Your DTS sounds beautiful. As for those ridiculous stickers, my Intrigue has them and they are an eyesore. Seems the US government requires those be a certain size and of a color that they are VERY noticeable. I just wonder how we ever survivied all those years before big brother told us we had to have air bag warning labels:)
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    FACT: Torgue on DHS is 25 foot pounds more than DTS thus DHS is .2 seconds quicker 0-60. Top speed on DTS 7 mph faster than the DHS but I never drive over 130 mph anywhere so top speed is not too important to me. However, it is fun to be able to beat most cars off the line. If you love to drive and want the best road handling , I recommend you get STABTRAK 2.0. It is truly FANTASTIC! BMW, M/B nor Lexus handle as well as Cadillacs with the new improved StabTrak 2.0! You can get Stabtrak on both the DHS and the DTS models.
    Only the DTS has 17" wheels as option. Automatic Rear window shade and side window shades available only on DHS. Shades block the sun during day yet you can roll down for better vision at night (something I could not do with aftermarket window tinting) Both are great cars. It is a matter of personal choice. I love my DHS and find the high torgue, six person seating and window shades a plus.
    Be sure to break in the wonderful NorthStar engine for the first 500 mph and it well be a super performer for years to come.
    TAMCO
    >>>Automatic Rear window

I totally forgot I had that thing on my DHS 'til I read your note!
    My fav option: Nav System
    Worst option: Massaging seats (feels like you're sitting on someone who is breathing deeply, but it's less fun than that)
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    I agree with you. I kind of abandoned posting the CTS forum altogether because most of the message posts were garbage. There were continually same posts mentioning the engine, GM politics, Cadillac's history and polarizing and GM bashing. I got tired of reading FJKs continuous talks about the engine in reference to Motor Trend's Sept. 01 future GM's V6 when someone new on the forum asks about 3.8 put in the CTS instead the Opel, Baron87's continuous talk about Cadillac's history, Art and Science, and polarization of the CTS and Focusmatt's GM bashing as well. However, I am still reading the message board because I can not resist what else ridiculous will come next from some of them. And what is soooo aggravating most is little chit chatting and unnecessary same thing repeated over and over posts.

J "CaddyLac"
    Love my Nav System. I choose Adaptive Seating over Massaging seat . It OK but doubt if I spend the $975.00 on Adaptive Seats again. My Night Vision a cool safety feature, I can see joggers and animals in road 1/2 away. Some objects from 1 1/2 miles away. Side drives and cross roads really stand out in the dark thus reducing supprises. TAMCO
  • craig2000craig2000 Member Posts: 13
    I posted in the Seville forum also. Anyone compare the STS to the DTS and actually bought one or the other? I am trying to decide between the 2 cars. My current 2001 STS is due back in Dec. Any input appreciated. (Not looking for GM bashing or other recommendations) Thanks!
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Here's my take:
    I suggest the base Deville. First off,either Seville would be more fun to drive,but as they are a little more costly(not much,I know)you are starting to get into Mercedes E320 territory-couldn't resist,sorry.
    I wanted to buy my wife a base Deville last spring,but at 43 she thought the Deville not "youthful" enough in image(I don't agree at all). There is something about the Deville's styling-I thing it is an exceedingly handsome car. I like the base because you get the bench seat. I realize many don't like a column shift,but how often is a big boat like a Deville going to be aggressively manually shifted through its auto box? The middle seat not good for much,true,but it's nice for when I want to hold my wife's hand when we are just cruising,or get her to sit a little closer. Also,the column shift gives a lot more visual space. I do love to shift my manual Passat,but with an auto,I just put it in "D".
    I wanted to buy something GM,so we got a Catera. I've had a loaner Deville,and every time I really enjoy driving it. But when I get our Catera back,I realize the Deville is not really FUN to drive.
    It is VERY serene,and that can be nice in a car)a
    la Lexus LS430). It seems easy to way bargain down from list price,and then I think it is a heck of a deal.
    The Seville is a good looking car,but I would go for the base Deville.
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    What's that?
    Just another couple of points. It's really all a matter of looks, because the rest (inside and mechanics) are very similar.The STS has been around for a while, there are many on the road, and it's due for a body change. The DTS body looks newer and fresher. Second, if you're going to buy a big Cadillac, why not buy the biggest one available? Just my 2cents.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ...why not buy the biggest one available?"

How 'bout a limo?
    I'm with you on the Deville's styling. Base, DHS, or DTS it is a very handsome car. It truly looks like a Cadillac and has the right mix of some traditional styling cues(vertical taillights) while having a very contemporary look. Unlike the previous generation which borrowed too much from the 80s and early 90s styling.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    they add on HID headlights, or have I missed that one???
    Is there a way to temporarily disconnect this feature? Next winter, I will be installing snow tires on rims which do not have the sensors. So will I have to live with the "check tire pressure" message, can the system be re-programmed, or do I have to buy four more sensors?
  • shadowjack7shadowjack7 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone on this board done business with Cadillac dealers in the New York City area? What has your experience been with sales and/or service?
    Adaptive Seats is another optional seat on DHS only. The Massaging Seats which have rollers on your lumbar section of your back only. Adaptive Seats are hydrolic movement to back and seat too in ten minute cycles. Nice but! As I reported earilier, its better than Massaging seats but not worth the $995.00 list price. Buy a Travel package ticket to Europe for you and yours with the $995.00 instead. TAMCO
    My DHS has the massaging seats, but it's really just a couple of inflating airbags that kinda press on your back. There are no rollers....if there were, I'd be happy. As it is, it feels like your sitting on someone's chest who is a little short of breath.
    Still got the 96 Deville !
    Almost 84k miles.
    Caddy dealer still will not do
    GM employee deal on CTS !
    I can wait.........geo

Hey Lemko...Hows that new Seville ?
    I want a cheesesteak sub...no cheese wiz !
  • oknominaloknominal Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a used 2000 DHS (20K Miles) Blue Onyx / Oatmeal. Probably paid a few extra $$ more than necessary but I just could not find a low miles DHS in my area. Traded in my 1991 Camre and what a treat. Drove LS400 and E320 but in the end my back cried out for the Deville. The more I drive it the more I love it. I upgraded the warranty to 7 yrs 100K for $2K. I have never upgraded a warranty in the past until now. Has anyone had any big ticket warranty items out of the starting gate so I feel better about droping $$ for the coverage?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    If you bought this car at a Cadillac dealer, they should have been able to 'Certify' the car, giving it the GM/Cadillac bumper-to-bumper warrenty, exended to 7 years and 75,000. (Maybe 6 years/72,000 miles. Something like this.)

For $600 or $650 .

I bet you did not get a GM warrenty, some after-market company. I recommend you read the warranty closely to see what is covered, and what is not covered.
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    After one year and several months of ownership, our DTS has lost its "no problems" status. The thing that did it: I pushed the hazard light button in, and it got stuck! Also, the "TwilightSentinel" head lamps have been putting on a little electric light show at times. So, we have a base DeVille loaner... Sad, to say that a stupid hazard light did it, I never should have pushed the thing in. Dang it...
    How does the base Deville compare with the DTS?
  • pfergypfergy Member Posts: 7
    I know this is the Deville board but in answer to your question, I bought a 97 SLS with 24K miles in sept 2000. Bought extended warranty (not gm). 'Right out of the gate' had to have new strut, exhaust system alignment and new oxygen sensor. Since that time have had new AC compressor, new blower motor, actuator door motor,'smoking' steering column, and some other minor items. So yes, you probably did the right thing even if you have a deductible.
  • oknominaloknominal Member Posts: 2
    The extended warranty I purchased was actually from the Caddy Dealer (but yes it was a 3rd party warranty company that they use) no deductible, 7yr 100K. I probably should have negotiated the certified GM extended warranty but its all under the bridge now. The Warranty is classified as "Hi tech" level so it seems to cover all the standard stuff plus all the electronics and techy stuff as well. Hopefully I will never need to test it!
    Just got my 96 Deville 85k miles oil
    changed at the little garage across
    the street. Told em' 8.1 qts with
    filter. Last time they put 5 qts in !
    Now they only put in 7. Across the
    street i go to b***h and get another
    qt. put in ! Remember this was a free
    one because they screwed up last time !
    At least they shut off my service ride
    control message...One of the connectors
    on the strut? was loose......NO CHARGE !
    oh well...............Geo

BTW; Lemko hows that new seville ?
  • papouz12papouz12 Member Posts: 2
    Last summer my "01" DHS was breathing in it's own smelly fumes into the cabin. After enduring a few side glances from my wife, I had to defend myself, it wasn't me. I first thought it was coming from other cars in traffic, and would press the recycle button. But when there were no other cars around, then there was no doubt where the smelly rotten egg smell was coming from. The first time I took it back to the dealer, I was told that Cadillac Co. was asking owners to change brands of gas. I changed 3 times, running at least 2 tanks full each time, no solution. Next trip back to the dealer, Cadillac, recommended changing the exhaust system. They did this,including a new muffler, and converter, that didn't resolve the problem. Next time Cadillac recommended re program the fuel delivery system, the bad egg smell continues.
    Any one else have a similar problem? I really like the car except for this problem.
    I also had another problem. The car would stall while driving and slowing for a traffic light, or worse, to make a turn ( real scary when you lose ps & pb ). This was resolved by replacing the crank sensors. So far O.K.
    Where do u live ? Some states and cities require
    oxygenated (spl) gas or some additives
    at certain times of the year for smog
    control or high pollution areas of the
    USA. Sometimes my vehicles stink like
    rotten eggs when running !
    But only when standing outside of them.
    If inside have dealer check for leaks
    in the underbody etc..........Geo
  • papouz12papouz12 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Cincinnati,OH, S.W. Corner of the state.
  • craig2000craig2000 Member Posts: 13
    Just asking for input on the DTS. I have an STS and am thinking about a DTS. I have to give back the STS in Dec and trying to decide. THanks!
  • lacdeville1lacdeville1 Member Posts: 1
    Whats up, I got the Concours and I am having problems with the A/C compresser, It's been making like a grinding sound when I turn it on so I replaced it, I went to AutoZone and bought a Remanufactured Compresser and had it installed by a certified mechanic and now been driving with the new compresser and the 2nd day its been making a grinding sound when I turn off the A/C, when I turn it on it sounds fine but when I turn it on it grinds, Anyone know what this problem is from?

Thanks,
    Tony
  • griffman12griffman12 Member Posts: 18
    Ther is nothing wrong with your rear end (no pund intended), The seats in the 99 are bad-very very bad. I had a 1990, 110,000 miles, a 1966 with 67,000 miles traded it for a new 1999. What a mistake had it six months and dumped it. Drove it to Fl. once and almost traded it there. Could hardly walk when we got out of it. When we got back to Pa. and after a long dialog with the Cad.dealer. We bought a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 Great seats, but Volvo service and the level of requirments exceeds the cost total of all three my Devilles.

Griffman
    Volvos do have very good seats. Did you try the seats in an STS or a DTS(or Deville Councours)? I've found bucket seats to be MUCH more comfortable and supportive than bench seats.
  • philly7philly7 Member Posts: 94
    Just had my dad's '98 ETC certified which runs the factory warranty out to 7/100. The GM at the dealership is a friend of mine so I got it done real cheap. It's the best way to go if you can get your dealer to do it. They generally don't do it for cars they didn't sell.
    Guess my 96 Deville is gonna need
    those $2000 front struts...Bummer!
    Gonna dump it...But waiting for a
    new CTS..........
  • grollegrolle Member Posts: 6
    Okay, I need to seek approval... I can get a 1997 Cadillac Fleetwood w/ 94,000 miles on it for $9500 plus taxes or a 1997 Volvo S70 w/79,000 miles on it for $11,500 plus taxes. I drive on average about 40-50k miles per year. What would YOU (the reader of this posting) do? Thanks in advance.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Did you replace the clutch and pump together, or just the pump? If you just did the pump the clutch is shot, and needs replacement. If you did them both talk to autozone about replacement and compensation for the labor.
    97 fleetwood 97 k $9500 ? Man that sounds
    like a lot of $$$. I am waiting on a
    new CTS. All the dealers offered me $5000
    for my 96 Deville with 87k miles.
    Ask over in the smart shopper thread,
    under real world trade in values !
    Bill and the guys can REALLY help ya
    out on the right price to pay!....Geo
    The Fleetwood did not exist in 1997, 96 was the last year of the Fleetwood.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...a special model built on the FWD platform with a slightly stretched chassis called a Fleetwood Limited. The last big RWD Fleetwood was in 1996.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• grollegrolle Member Posts: 6
    My mitake. I meant 97 Deville...(I have to do something by this Friday)
  • balooobalooo Member Posts: 24
    Grolle,
    By the time you read this you may have made your purchase...I've owned two Volvo's a 1999 S70 traded it for a 2002 S80.
    First of all I assume the S70 Volvo your looking at is a 1998 model the 850 was the model in 97.
    Caddy Vs.Volvo it boils down to this Resale and the type of ride and interior space your looking for.
    The Volvo will be worth more in three years.
    My volvo S70 did not ride like a caddy but my S80 sure does I love it.
    The S70, in fact all volvos have the best seats in the business after a long drive you'll feel great despite the stiffer ride a volvo has in comparison to a Caddy. Frankly this is an apples and oranges comparison,if you ask me go with the Volvo it's a better investment.
    Good luck!