Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Cadillac
DeVille
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Yep, the temptation was just too great to resist responding to comments from those who know nothing about late model Cadillacs, and it resulted in the topic being frozen.

Well, let's get back on track now and talk about the DeVille and other Caddies if appropriate.

ttcad, it would be interesting if you could share with us a one month "snapshot" of the age demographics of the buyers of Caddies sold at your dealership. Just for the heck of it, you know, to see what the ages are? Certainly, just one month might be skewed high or low, but what the heck?

It would also be intersting to see what the age breakdown is by model (STS, SLS, DTS, Escalade, etc.)

If you can share this please do.
  • tccad1tccad1 Member Posts: 46
    at the birthdates of our clients and get you some info. Just watching and guessing at the average age of people walking thru the door today I would have to say 47 - 52 age range. That is based on a sample of about 100 people. I feel that is about as good and accurate a sample as you can get. About half of those people were interested in the deville. 25 people in seville. 18-20 in escalade/catera. 5 in eldo. These are of course rough numbers. Of the people looking at deville, a full half were interested in the DHS or DTS. Cadillac planned on building about 20% DHS & DTS, 80% regular Deville for the 2000 model year. Sales of those two combined were about 40% vs 60% regular Deville. Most people looking at the DTS/DHS were in their mid 40's. More info when I get it.
  • tedduncantedduncan Member Posts: 3
    Bought my 2000 Deville today. Paid $35,000 for
    a base Deville with 8000 miles (program car).
    I've been shopping around for a long time and had looked at Lincolns, Lexus, and Acura. I'm very pleased so far-------
    Demographic info: 52 years old.
    Purchased at: Colonial Cadillac, Virginia Beach, VA
  • amorlanamorlan Member Posts: 1
    Is the rough idle something that Cadillacs have just about always had? Thanks, Aron
  • philly7philly7 Member Posts: 94
    NO- The rough idle condition that we have discussed recently in this forum is limited to the first round of the 2K Northstar Equipped Cars. It is a software glitch in the EMS which I understand now has a fix.
    Thanks for the insight on age demographics. Interesting that the actual sales of DHS's and DTS's for 2000 were higher than Cadillac had predicted vs. the base Deville.
  • snomojoesnomojoe Member Posts: 14
    Perhapd tccadl can answer my question. Bought my 2000 DTS on 4/1/00. On 5/15/00 left it with dealer for oil change and a carpet "tuck". When I picked it up the service manager mentioned something about the rough idle electronic fix. I don't know if he was telling me it's on the way or that he had effected it on my car. In any case, it idles just fine. Question: Was the "fix" available on 5/15/00 ? I'm sure any dealer could "ask" the onboard computer if the car has been "fixed", but I am 150 miles from nearest dealer. (Paper work for the 5/15/00 service did not mention this.)
    Just saw the response of the diedard Lexus Owner (lxownr) re GM market share in 1970 vs 1999 in which he stated GM had 70% of the American Automobile Market in 1970 and market share deteriorated to 30% . lxownr must be terribly misinformed (kind word for ignorant) to state or believe that in 1970 GM left only 30% of the U.S. market to Ford, Chrysler, American Motors (at that time) without even throwing in the foreign imports. Sounds like a politician: Say ANYTHING regardless of how illogical or nonsensical to further the agenda - in this case promoting the glorified, high priced Toyota called Lexus vs the "in class by itself" Cad DTS.
    Notice He's not around anymore!
  • bigoldandybigoldandy Member Posts: 1
    I am contemplating the purchase of a DeVille. By the way, I am 34 years old. I am also contemplating buying a boat next Spring - just a standard runabout speedboat. I have to admit that I do not even know how much a boat like that weighs. Assuming any of you know about boat weights, what, if anything can or must I do to the Caddie in order to tow the boat? I really don't want a truck, but may have to if the boat is a must-have (which it may not be). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    The fix on the rough idle was available at that time. It seems unusually bad in the 300 hp motors tho. Almost like there is a miss in the engine. It is not a part that needs to be fixed, but a simple reprogramming of the main ecm. Easy fix.

Good point philly, where did he go? Must be still be counting the number of times Toyota is stamped on his car. 47...48...49
    I would expect that he ran out of fingers and toes by now!
    Thanks for info re rough idle fix. My DTS has smooth idle so I'm going to assume the "fix" was effected. "If it aint broke. don't fix it".

FYI front end protective bras are available IN EXACT COLORS from an outfit in Bothell, WA. I ordered one for my DTS and they weren't satisfied with the color description from the CAD brochure (Sterling Silver) they requiredthe numerical description of paint color from the data under the apare tire cover. The match color EXACTLY. Their website is www.carbrasby perfectfit.com . When you visit the site I think you will find they make a quality product. Two month lead time on colored bras.
    Correct website is www.carbras.com/perfectfit
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    Did anyone on here saw the issue of top luxury sedans in the Motor Trend magazine? I thought it was a great road comparison but somewhat disappointed.

I don't know why they compare a DTS against the cars that had a sport package like the 740il sport, S500 sport, and other cars with sport tires and vice versa.

They criticize about the DTS tires of being cheap and said that the rims look cheesy looking. They gave the rear seat room a low grade compared to the competition and said that they wish they like the car better. But they did say they had positive comments about the body style and gave it a grade better than the 2001 LS 430. Did you heard that, lxowner.

Motor Trend insisted Cadillac to make the DTS CVRSS standard on all Deville trims, have the DTS with 18 tires with a 5 speed manumatic and have better seats. Too them, the seats were too cushy for their tushes. Any comments?

Personally I am not surprise that the DTS was the least favorite with them. I found the comparison unfair. Does anyone agree with me? It would been equal if these cars did not had a sport package or sport tires.

In my opinion, if Cadillac had an option Sport package like the 2001 STS, I say have a DTS Sport with a lot beefier tires/rims, tauter suspension setup, the body structure 30% stronger than it is for better ride isolation, there you have it, an American version of the S500 sport.

However, I did agree when they said that the major price between the DTS and S500 sport determine the better car. I think the DTS is a very damn good car but comparing to a car and you pay $30,000 dollars for the car, it should be a better and well equipped with more technology.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    Is the rough idle you are talking about when in drive w/ foot on brake? or in park? My 2000 Deville was delivered to me from dealer stock in Feb 2000. It was an early build car.
    Also, I notice the oil dipstick usually indicates 1/2 qt low on oil every 3 weeks or so. Any body else have to top off that much? Or is that "normal".
    Rough idle would be in drive with foot on brake. My understanding is that the 300 HP DTS is more inclined to have this problem but can be remedied with the EMC "fix".

Re oil usage: I have had previous Devilles (not Northstars) and found on two of them that after oil change or "topping off" to full that in short time (perhaps 200 miles) oil would show 1/2 quart down. I learned that those two cars ran 1/2 qt low all the time. After dropping to that level it remain there for 3-4000 miles without going any lower. Suggest you not add when 1/2 qt down and see what happens. It may just stay there. Regardless, your engine has 8 quart oil capacity so running 1/2 qt down for awhile shopuldn't be problem. Let us know what happens.
  • craig2000craig2000 Member Posts: 13
    It's coming down to one or the other (I'm 37 BTW). I have a 2000 STS (diamond white, totally loaded) all ready to go, but now having second thoughts about a DTS instead. I thought I was sure the STS was going to be it. Any comments? Help! Has anyone compared them side by side driving experience?
    ps
    No *silly* comments about Lexus or MB's thank you.
    What is more important to you; handling/performance, or interior space?

I drive an STS ('99), and while I would strongly consider a DTS for my next ride, I can tell you that the STS definitely feels smaller and more agile behind the driver's seat than the DTS. The DTS definitely handles very well for a car that size and it for sure provides more interior room, especially for rear seat passengers, than the STS.

I am 37 as well, BTW, and this is my second STS. My first one was a '94. You can't go wrong either way, in my book. You should proably go down to the dealer, have them park each one next to the other to let you compare for a while, and then take each out for a spin, one right after the other.

Tough decision, bud, but there are lots of people out there who'd love to be in your position to be deciding between these two babies!
    Boy. Rob's right. That would be a tough choice. In my case it's pretty easy. I'm 6'3" and 325 lbs. (relatively even distribution). I just don't fit in the STS without bending my neck outward toward the door. God knows I have tried.

At 35, I'm picking up my 4th Deville (DTS) in a row in January. I am so happy that Cadillac finally built a Deville with the attitude of a STS but with the cubic feet I need on the inside.

Good Luck Craig. Either way, you won't go wrong, unless you waste your money on a (well,you know)!
    Both of them are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous automobiles. Both of them are equally equipped except for Agorithm Shifting Performance for the STS and Night Vision, rear air bags, and tri-zone climate controls on the DTS. Both cars you can't go wrong.

On the STS, I feel you will have a tad bit more performance, a tad bit better handling and sportiness since the car is a luxury performance sedan while the DTS has the STS characteristics with more room and with a presidential look. So, you have to decide if the chic magnet look or the presidential look suits your needs.

If you were looking at more options, then the DTS would be easier to decide on over the STS if they (DTS) had the DHS options like rear seat massage/lumbar, power sunshade and manual rear sun shade on left and right side of the windows and other host of stuff.
    As someone who has driven both cars for extended drives (6,000 miles apiece), I can tell you that I am at a loss for which one is better. Like sweet and rob said, only you can decide which one is better for you. I personally prefer the DTS over the STS because of the size. I carry friends around all the time and the extra room in the back is perfect. Oh by the way, I'm 29. My owner is 33 and drives nothing but DTS. It really is a tough choice. LED taillamps or Xenon headlamps? That is about the only other major difference in the cars. Let us know which one you choose.
    That raises a good question. Why didn't the 2K Deville offer the option of HID's from the get go? It would seem like a no-brainer from both the design and marketing aspects. It is one of those production mysteries that Cadillac comes up with from time to time.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • craig2000craig2000 Member Posts: 13
    Lots of good comments on this board. It is refreshing to see people in their 30's chatting about Cadillacs. I am going to give my decision a couple of weeks. This is the first car I am considering *buying* after leasing for the past 6 years. The $5,000 rebate on the STS is kind of hard to pass up. It ends Oct. 2. It is probably going to be a while before the DTS sees a rebate like that. More comments/comparisons appreciated. Thanks to all. Excellent input. I do like them both pretty equally...
    Wow, hadn't heard of that on the STS. Is that a regional thing? I have neither seen nor heard any ads in California for that. Is that just on the STS, or the SLS too?
    ....here is a short article about the 2000 DTS you can read on. I am sure majority may agree about father/son observation.

http://www.theautochannel.com/content/vehicles/new/reviews/2000/gap0026.html
    Lxownr should read Matt/Bob (Thanx to sweetjeldorado). Are you out there? Are you listening?
  • tonoradtonorad Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I are both 31 and recently rented a Cadillac DeVille. We expected to be impressed, but were truly overwhelmed.

We had been in the market to buy a high-quality, luxury sedan and, beyond any doubt, Cadillac's DeVille DHS completely outperformed the competition in every category in our opinion.

Last Thursday (August 31), we purchased a 2000 cashmere DHS and were very happy with the purchase process (paid $44,073) and overwhelmed with the DHS. And this is our first GM product!

After several weeks of intense research, we wholeheartedly recommend the 2000 and/or 2001 DeVille line!
    Wow tonorad, that is a terrific story! I would imagine that the rental DeVille was the base model, and even that impressed you at 31.

It is interesting that you chose the DHS over the DTS. Welcome to this site and discussion board. You are yet another example of the "down-aging" of Cadillac buyers.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I'm 25 and I too like Cadillacs alot. I've always loved the Eldorado and hope Cadillac has future plans for the nameplate other than putting it on a $70K+ roadster. I think the Evoq(whatever it will be called) will be a great asset to the Cadillac line, but Cadillac needs to continue to offer a good sized luxury coupe. With the Riviera and Mark VIII gone, the US auto industry needs something in the luxury coupe segment and the Monte Carlo and Sebring just don't cut it. Anyway, back to the Deville versus Seville question. I like them both alot and in some ways I think the STS's styling is a bit more crisp, but the 2000 Deville(especially the DTS) is a very good looking car as well. I think Cadillac did a wonderful job with the 2000 Deville. The car is very modern and contemporary looking, yet it is unmistakably a Cadillac and the look should age very well. I also love the LED taillights and the rear seat in the Deville is almost like a limo. The only thing Cadillac needs to do on the Deville is make the Bose 4.0 audio available without the Navigation system and put the rear seat lumbar supports and sunshades that are on the DHS in the DTS as well, as the DTS is the real flagship of the Deville line. Otherwise, the car is perfect. Even the base Devilles are not bad. Funny thing, the two cars which Cadillac hopes would appeal to my demographic(the Catera and Escalade) do not appeal to me at all. If ever a Cadillac is a land yaucht, it's the Escalade, not the Deville, Seville, or Eldorado. Make mine a Northstar thank you.
    Preach on Etharmon, preach on. :-)
    The rebates that are out are dealer cash rebates. That is why they aren't advertised. In the Chicago market it is $5,000 on STS, SLS, ETC, and Eldo. The Deville, DHS, and DTS has $2,000 dealer money. Catera has $1,500 and the Escalade has $1,000. Currently there are no Customer rebates except for the Escalades without the Rosen system. You get an extra grand off for it.
    OK - You have raised a good point. In negotiating for my '01 DTS, I am offering to pay Invoice minus 50% of the holdback. Since I am ordering the car, the dealer will not have any flooring expense. Here is how the dealer will make out:

50% holdback: $ 800
    Dealer cash: 2000
    Dealer flooring assistance: 650
    Total: 3450

Now, that is before you factor in the profit in my lease return which the dealer will be able to buy at auction prices ($18,000) and sell for retail used at about $23,000.

My sales rep. (a personal friend) couldn't stop laughing until I told him that a dealer in another city agreed to my terms. Now, he is not laughing any more.

I think that this is a fair deal, don't you?
    Yesterday I was doing research (reading on the Deville and the car (DHS) models have television reception as an added feature in Japan.

This is what it says. "DHS models intended for export to Japan will offer television reception as an added feature with the navigation system. Additional equipment is involved, including an integrated TV tuner, a diversity TV antenna integrated with the backlight, an amplifier and selector for the TV antenna and an auxiliary stereo audio and video adapter." Weird, huh.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    It's been a while since I posted, so I had a helluva backlog of posts to read. So I'll make this post brief.

I put my '93 Allanté back in the garage after some refreshing top-down driving these past few months. My wife has been driving the DTS and won't give it up. Wimmin! At first she didn't like the car (too big) and now she can't say enough good things. Though must of her comments come to me indirectly from clients and business acquaintances. *I* still have a Lexus 430 on order for a "whenever" delivery date. But for now, I'm driving the Suburban.

Footnote: A few weeks ago we drove to La Costa (north of San Diego) for the weekend. The car performed flawlessly (as it should) and got some long glances while driving. Even in Southern California there are not that many white DTS' on the highways. In addition, there has been no mechanical problems worth mentioning and the car has not burned one ounce of oil. Considering it is one of the first couple hundred off the assembly line, kudos KUDOS goes to Cadillac. I'm impressed.

Demographics: Satisfied 38 year old "fart" with a wife, a "write-off" on the way and a golden retriever who wants to get intimate with my Suburban's muffler.
    I guess that depends on the location and total allocation of DHS's. I don't have a huge allocation of DHS's. I am very heavy in DTS though. However, I have to admit I would probably laugh about as hard as your friend. I can tell you that in order for anyone to get half the holdback, it had better be a red with blue cloth interior catera. Hold back is what we use to pay for not only the floorplan, but the lights, the porters to clean up your car, the biller to handle the paperwork, the license and title clerk to make sure you get a title, the inventory manager to make sure the car came off the truck safely, and a host of others. There is a lot more to the holdback than just paying the floorplan. We don't have a floorplan at our store, does that justify selling everything below invoice? If you had 12 million tied up in a store, and your return was only $800,000 gross, how long you would keep that store open?
    As far as the dealer cash, it is only on 2000 models, not 01's. Again, I have to be honest, if you came into my store and wanted that price on an 01 DHS, ordered or not, I would shake your hand and thank you for coming in. Now, ask me how much I would sell an Eldorado for =).
    I just went back and read what I wrote, and I'm sorry if it sounded harsh. Didn't mean for it to come out that way. Being on the other side of the desk, and having someone ask me to earn only 1.5% before paying everyone just doesn't sit right with me. I can appreciate the fact that the consumer just wants the best deal they can make, and I can understand that it was the people in this business 20 or 30 years ago that caused all of the problems we are having today. Fortunately, most of those people are gone by now. You have a new breed of salesperson that truly just wants to earn a living, not a killing. When was the last time you asked your clothing guy what invoice was? How about the plumber that comes out? Do you ask him what his hourly wage is and add $.50? How about the guy selling the furnaces? My point is that it is great to have knowledge. I don't necessarily argue with having sites such as Edmunds posting our invoice prices. In fact, I welcome it. It makes it much easier to put a deal together because you know exactly how much money we are making on each deal. All we have to agree on is what the figure is. Now, getting a trade in value on used cars is a whole other area I won't get into.

Philly7, again, I didn't mean to come across as harsh as that sounded and I'm sorry. Jeff
    Always enjoy your updates and input re: your own DTS and the luxo car arena at large.

Most interesting to hear that the wife has become a bonafide fan of the Caddy (even if in a "closet-fan" sense), having previously openly not liked it. It would be interesting to know what about the car, specifically, she has taken a liking to, having now driven it for a while. Presuming she is also in her mid-late 30's, that would be interesting gender and age demographic data..."what does a 30-something women like/find attractive in the Cadillac DTS?"

Sorry about the problem with your dog and the Suburban tail pipe. Good thing he hasn't taken to the back end of the DTS...the FOUR orifices back there would for sure confuse and frustrate the you-know-what out of 'em!

So you are going for the LS430? I am sure sales of that car will increase over the "old" 2000 model, however IMO it still lacks its own unique character (in the looks/style dept.). Even Motor Trend says the front end looks alot like an S-Class and DTS, and the back end looks like the Acura RL (it sure damn does!). What I found most disturbing was in the photo on page 44 of that same magazine, where clearly the wood trim on the passenger door is way out of alignment with the wood in the dash board. Regardless, I am nothing but confident that it is a solid, quality car.

I notice, too, that for the first time that I know of, the LS will have same-color lower body panels as the rest of the car. I had always noted that all Lexus cars had different color lower body panels (by design), until the late model GS series. With the GS, Lexus has had problems with the light colored paints not matching up properly, and they have had customer complaints about this. Hopefully Lexus has resolved this problem.

I am also amazed that more manufacturers have not implemented the engineering and styling approach of "hiding" the front passenger airbag and designing it to deploy out of an already existing seam between the dash and wood trim. Caddy first did this neat trick back in 1996 on the Seville, and it sure cleans up the top of the dash, plus, that "trap door" on most other cars usually never seems to match up in color and grain/texture with the rest of the dash, even on those high end luxo cars. Another Caddy innovation that truly "works"!

Go Caddy! With four "new" automobiles coming out over the next three years, things should certainly continue to be exiting for Caddy fans of all types...old and young, long-time and new.
    No problem at all. This is why I enjoy the dialogue here and I have no problem with people expressing their viewpoints with the upmost vigor. You are stating your case very well.

Now to the issue at hand, I have engaged in this argument with many different people and from many different view points. So I hope you won't take any offense regarding my opinion.

First, what I do with the plumber, the butcher, baker or candlestick maker has nothing to do with my purchasing a vehicle. That is a red herring argument that they teach you guys in dealership 101.

Next, your industry's long and well deserved reputation for trickery and deception have earned the heavy handed tactics the I am forced to use when negotiating deal. My plumber has never tried to screw me.

Finally, I simply can't see why "the dealership" should earn 10% (or even 5% for that matter) of MSRP when all they are doing for me is filling out some paperwork. If I needed to be "sold" on a vehicle and took up a lot of time taking test drives and asking a zillion questions then I can understand factoring in a larger margin. However, by their own admission, I know 10 times more about this car than anyone in the dealership.

So, yes, the system forces me to deal with you folks like prostitutes. I will use what ever means necessary to get the best deal and I am not loosing any sleep over it.

Now, my turn to disclaim. At no time am I suggesting "you" personally or anyone else on this forum. My comments are strictly in a general sense. And, while I am sorry that this may sound harsh, this is the way I see the condition of the system and unless it changes drastically, I don't intend to modify my approach.
  • carnoughtcarnought Member Posts: 10
    I too faced this dilemma earlier this year. I ended up with the DTS, because it was a newer body style, although resembling the Seville. Also, I like the dash in the DTS a little better, and the CD player in the glove compartment rather than the console. The things I liked better about the STS were the more powerful radio and the ignition straight in the dash rather than on the side of the wheel. I'm one who always wonders if I took the right "road" when facing two choices then making the decsion, but in general, I'm happy with the choice...so far, 3600 trouble-free miles. This is from a former Lexus and Mercedes owner who wanted to give the American car another chance. In pearl red with those great factory chrome wheels and dark windows, I get alot of stares and positive comments. BTW, I'm also in the sub- 450, 60, and 70 age group.
    Welcome to this topic. My question to you is what were you driving just prior to getting the DTS? Was it an LS400, E-Class,???

What would you say is BETTER about the Caddy than any of those imports, and what would you say is Lacking/not as good as any of those imports. I should think that you represent a very important piece of the customer demographic Caddy is trying to win over; Young, and an Luxury Import owner/leaser.

I do find it interesting because based on some of the import car topics I read here in the Sedans category, most of those folks are so absolutely brainwashed they cannot think anything other than their brand is far superior and Cadillac is nothing but GM crap that is inferior in every way.
    So, what's your take on that notion?
  • lehr597lehr597 Member Posts: 3
    In march 2000, i purchased an outstanding 1999 cadillac ELdorado Etc in white diamond/neutral shale interior/ factory astro/12cd/chrome wheels with only 5,000 mi on it. The dealer had informed me that it was a gm buy back because the previous owner had complained of water entering when the windows were opened and it had just rained. I was told all moldings had been replaced and not to wrry i still have the factory 4/yr 50,000 mi warranty. I love the car, however i read on one post that gm only gives 12 months on buy backs? did my dealer lie to me? if so what type of legal recourse do i have??? also im concerned with the fact the northstar eats oil. I last had the oil changed at 6,000 mi in April, it's current millage is 9,200 mi's and I checked the dipstick to notice it is down almost a full quart!! " add oil" marking. I find that odd!! I hear from many, that it is quite normal for northstar v8's ,because of its high compression? what do you think? should i investigate these issues? thanks DAN
  • wowserwowser Member Posts: 11
    Suddenly, day before yesterday, the "Check Oil Level" light started coming on every time I start my 2000 Deville. Had the oil changed and checked. Everything ok but the light still comes on. Gonna have to visit the dealer Monday and see which sensor or chip is whacko.

In other matters:

>So, yes, the system forces me to deal with you
    >folks like prostitutes. I will use what ever >means
    >necessary to get the best deal and I am not
    >loosing any sleep over it.

Well, that's one way to get serviced -- in the animal husbandry sense. :)
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    How does Cadillac determine a dealer's allotment of models? My local dealer was pretty much awash in Devilles but only had 2-3 DHS and DTS models at most all year. Also, they had an extermely large selection of Eldorados(12 or more at one point)considering that car is a slower seller.
    The car I had before my 2000 DTS was a '98 GS300 Lexus. I've had a '95 LS400 and a '93 SC300 (my all-time favorite car). The GS was okay except for the over-the-dash covering being replaced twice because of bubbling. This was done, however, promptly and cheerfully by the dealer, with loaner cars, etc. The most recent replacement showed some bubbling too, before my Caddy trade. The car(GS) was in general great, however. I trade for the fun of it (and waste of money) every one to three years. The thing that could keep me form buying another Cadillac is the service dept. which does not hold a candle to Lexus, M.B., Audi or practically any other luxury dealer. They are absolute cretins and unresponsive to the consumer in compariso. I give them a C-.....By the way, my Northstar gets 20mpg, combined city/some hiway driving with a/c running, and does NOT eat oil......
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    I find that the service you get at the dealership is somewhat dependent on how well you tip your "service writer" or consultant, and the fact that you should pick the guy you "like" the best in the joint is the same guy you see every time. After a while "intermittant reinforcement (tipping) is the developes the strongest bond between you. (My Chevy dealer replaced a leather bucket seat skin in my Tahoe, that I had removed the tan dye from by using a vinyl cleaner by mistake one day instead of leather cleaner...MY fault yet he covered it as a warranty defect saving me 700 bucks including labor.)
    If you still don't think you are getting the "Cadillac of service" at your dealership, go to another one. The place I got my car seems to be chronically short staffed and out of breath like any econo dealership, so I go to another dealership, that's got chandaliers, leather recliners/big screen to wait in, ceramic tile floors in the write up area UNDER THE CARS THRU THE SERVICE WRITERS DESK AREA TOO! No appointment needed for oil changes, and you feel unrushed, and that your business is appreciated... Yes Sir, Thank you Sir etc! What a Dog and Pony Show! ...But you feel good!
    Right on Barry! I ended up in a viscous exchange over this matter in another venue. I have always operated under the principle that good service is a matter of mutual benefit. I have always tipped well at restaurants, bars and nightclubs. As a result, I don't wait for a table...anywhere! I never have to look far for a server and I never have a problem getting my car valeted to and fro.
    This applys to service as well as sales in terms of cars. I treat my sales rep. very well. We go out to lunch or dinner every couple of months. I pick up the check at least 2/3 of the time. I get him tickets to Mariners and Seahawks games. Same with my Service Consultant. I got tickets for him and his wife to see Phantom of the Opera for their wedding anniversary last year. As a result, I have never had a service problem with Cadillac. Not when I lived in NYC and not out here either.

Some people have a problem with this sort of approach. They feel it is some kind of bribery or unfair to those who wouldn't give the service guy the time of day. I wonder what kind of person lives in and enjoys the fruits of a capitalist society with such leftist and (well, cheap) views of commerce.
    I've never heard of tipping a car service manager, but I guess I can't fault it. I have found that simple being courteous and treating them as human beings (two things many car owners don't do)doesn't cost me anything and gets me great results.

The unfortunate thing is that the service levels and customer experiences seem to vary depending on the dealer. This is true, based on what I know from talking to friends as well as from what I have read here in Edmunds in other topics, not only at Cadillac but also at all other top luxury car dealerships.

Here in Southern California we are fortunate to have several Caddy dealerships all within reasonable driving distance. This translates into having choices when it comes to both purchasing and getting your Caddy serviced. This same proximity of dealerships also works in the consumer's favor by providing increased competition among the Caddy dealerships. As such, they know that they have to work hard to earn your trust and your business, and to KEEP it.
    Sorry Barry I won't tip other than in special conditions, NOT for routine maintenance, especially when you're driving the "flagship" of the line. This bribery approach doesn't cut it with me after buying a $50,000 car. They should be falling all over me to start with and if so,THEN they may get rewarded. This approach has NEVER been necessary at Lexus, MB, Audi, Acura, or others. BTW, I did go to another Cadillac dealer in the area and there I was literally invisible. They seemed more interested in their Olsmobile service clients. When these Cadillac dealers learn how to take care of their customers in addition to representing a good product, then, they will beable to attract new customers and consistently win back customers like me, the auto enthusiast.
    Every time I visited my dealership to look at cars on the lot twice a year, the salesmen always greets me with respect and give me their business cards for future client prospect. I think I have like how many business cards from them by now.

When I use to drive the Cimarron (still drive it but Mom has it), I was the center of attention with my dealership service because of its rarity nowadays.