Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Enjoy the new ride! Although I would prefer a CTS or STS/SLS to a Deville, I wouldn't complain if I were in the position to buy a brand new Deville. Let us know how it compares to the 96 after you've driven it a few days.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Whipping on it today ! I love the trac.
    control off button. At least it starts
    off in 1st gear. My 96 would start in 2nd
    gear with trac.control off. Can't beat
    that 275 horse V-8 ! I love doing burn outs
    and suprising those guys in beemers, lexus,
    etc! Maybe next time on a CTS with V-8 !~
    ....geo
    The color is white diamond not pearl !
    I liked the Ruby red one but it sold
    fast ! My 96 was seafoam green (yuk)
    But the woman liked the color ! The
    salesman and I laughed NO SALE GREEN !
    I didn't care as long as it was white,
    black or red..............
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    speaking of Vogue tires, I only see them on Cadillacs, and they always seems to have a yellow "whitewall"...is there anything really special about Vogue tires???
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    There's nothing special I know about them other than the V-pattern whitewall that constantly traps dirt and the extra yellow stripe. Whitewalls, (other than Vogue) look nice on a base DeVille but super-stupid on a Seville. Broughams and Fleetwoods would look barren without them.
  • wkeefwkeef Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 DeVille has 30,000 miles and has generally been a good car. One morning recently I attempted to crank it and nothing happened. No dash lights, no noise, no nothing. I attached jumper cables from another car and immediately the lights came on in the dash and other places but on turning the key all that happened was the rapid clicking one hears when a battery is dead.

Then I left the second car running for about 20 minutes with the jumpers attached in order to charge the Caddy battery. On attempting to crank now the car started fine. I left it idling for about 30 minutes and shut her down until the next morning when I could get to the shop.

They kept the car three days and could find nothing. Everything checked AOK. I have had no further trouble but am keeping one of those jump start batteries in the trunk.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    At 2200 miles, still loving the style, ride, handling and power of my new 02 DTS. No major problems, but a few minor quibbles.

1. Memory seats sometimes develop temporary amnesia.
    2. 14-16 mpg in the city, not great, but I can live with it in a two ton car with 300 ponies.
    3. I am perplexed and a bit unsettled and annoyed that the 17'' Michilins (with 30 psi)seem to squiggle and wander instead of tracking straight when crossing steel bridges with egg crate surfaces. Any one else notice this tendency with 17'' tires on the DTS or the 16'' tires on the other DeVilles? This also happens when I ride my motorcycle over such surfaces, but this is the first time I have really noticed it in a car.

Still love the car and the power continues to intoxicate.
    ...I had that happen to my 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. Turned out to be the ignition switch. It could also be the wiring harness in the steering column.
  • jgranatajgranata Member Posts: 70
    you've got one menacing ride there, glad to hear you're enjoying the car. the wandering or squishyness (sp?) that you posted, reminds me of
    a steel bridge over rt 15 in ct...every car i've ever driven over that bridge has done the "wanderer", having said that, i am a little surprised at the t/p in the michelins...it does sound a little on the low side. you might want to try going up in 2lb increments and see if you can live with the extra firmness...that might help the
    handling over the bridge, somewhat. jackg
    Your battery may have a bad cell.
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for the tip. I'll pump the michilins up a bit a see if it makes a difference.

On another note, We just had 4-8 inches of rain here in Chicago. It was the first time I got to test the wet traction of the DTS. Needless to say it passed with flying colors. The car gives me a great feeling of confidence. No matter how hard I pushed it on take offs, cornering or stopping, the car never lost its composure, in fact if the abs, traction and skid control even engaged they were silent and unobtrusive, as they should be in a fine luxury automobile like the DTS.
  • gk3gk3 Member Posts: 13
    regarding the tire pressure, I also have 17'' tires on my DTS. The car manufacturer recommends 30 psi (cold). Most tire shops recommend 35 psi, which provides much better cornering ability and extends, they claim, the life of the tire. However, I found the ride somewhat harsher.

I personally prefer it at 32 psi (cold), a happy medium, which gives a comfortable, quiet and pleasant ride with good traction. Again, to a certain extend, it is a matter of personal preference. However, I would not go below 30psi (cold) or above 35psi (cold) for safety reasons. Let us know what you are happy with.
    I was in Chi-town Tuedasy for business, flew in that morning and out that night. O'hare was dead compared to usual. Have you driven the DTS is snow yet? If not, your in for a treat. My Intrigue has traction control and a lesser version of Cadillac's stability control system and I drove it in some snow we had last January and I don't know why anyone really needs four wheel drive. The traction control system is superb. Unless there is ice or the snow is 6 inches deep you should have no trouble. I tried several times to get my Intrigue stuck or to spin the wheels and could not as long as the traction control was on. The stability control system will not overcome the laws of physics and the usual cautions while driving in snow should be used, but the traction control system will help you go in nearly all situations.
  • lparklpark Member Posts: 1
    I has a similar problem with my 2000 Deville @ 25000 miles, the positive battery post separated inside the battery & would suddenly shut down. It required a new battery. While my car was in the garage for repair, another Deville came in with the same problem
    Hey All ! Finally PRIED the keys from my
    girls hand to drive this baby .......
    Likes; Stereo is awesome! Rides great, Handles
    pretty good ( for a boat) , V-8 Power, Trac off
    button on shifter (for doing burnouts !) Seats
    are comfy. Those bun warmers will be nice come
    winter. The double comparments in the center
    of seats. Didn't know about the one on the bottom.
    NO more PIA trunk pull down.

Dislikes: Only one minor... cup holders should
    have a rubber holder in bottom like my truck
    to hold cups firm.......But much better to use
    than my 96. Time to go crusin'.....geo
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Just drove a base DeV yesterday - now I know what my next new car will be! What a ride - just like i remember from the old Caddy's, without the excess float - and practically silent at idle and at 75 mph. No matter what automakers do to their V6's, there is no substitute for V8 power. Car had acres of room, tons of equipment - the base model really is the best bargain of the three - right now i can buy a 2002 with safety & security package and the memory/convenience package and chrome wheels for around 36,900. That's a lot of car for the money. Hope to be posting soon after i'm behind the wheel of a new DeVille.
    Its been a couple of weeks and lovin' it !
    Likes..Climate control..easy to use, fan
    speed temp etc..Even one in the back seat !
    Pass. mirror tilts down when in reverse. I
    don't wanna bent up those chromies !
    Dislikes...Ashtray tiny..no flip up chrome piece
    to protect the dash board like my 96.
    Auto door locks..HATE THEM...according to
    owners book no way to turn off completely.
    Anybody know how to disable?...geo

JB: Go for it..you will not regret it !
    Sonjaab - thanks for the advice! BTW - do you have the base model or DTS/DHS? I would buy the DHS in a second, except i'm a sucker for that hood ornament on the base model - it just doesn't look right adding one on the DHS when it already has one in the grille. Also - what are u getting for mileage?
    Got a base one ! Woman had to have bench
    seat. Don't like buckets and shift on floor.
    Price a lot cheaper. I hear the rebate is
    now 5k. Heck you can get a base 02 used for
    about 28k now ! MPG on DIC 20 mpg average
    never check anyway..........geo
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    Ouch....every time they rebate the cars, the resale falls through the floor. The Caddy is a better lease than purchase.
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    The following is direct from the Vogue Tyres Web site:

"About 1918 to 1919 Harry Hower, a chauffeur in the Chicago area, joined forces with the Woodbury family in the tire business to create a new design tire - the whitewall. This initial design had the whitewall on both sides.

Since practically all tires were blackwall at this time, they hoped to attract the business of chauffeur driven cars with this unusual design. Margaret Woodbury named this new whitewall tire "Vogue" and the name "Custom Built" was added at a later date.

Up until 1926, Vogue Tyres were sold only in Chicago, Illinois. Having been successful promoting Vogue Tyres to the chauffeur industry, Mr. Hower branched out to the West Coast and in late 1926 added Dodson Limited in Los Angeles as distributor in this region.

This unique wide whitewall design soon appeared on the cars of the motion picture stars. During the Depression years of the early 1930's, practically all large car sales were based on six tires. The movie stars were among the few who still had the incomes to afford Vogue Tyres. Dusenberg owners became a primary source of business for the company.

In 1935 Mr. Hower negotiated with the Kelly-Springfield Tire Company to take over production of Vogue Tyres. This agreement was the first for Kelly-Springfield which had just been purchased by the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. This is the only agreement Vogue Tyre and Kelly-Springfield have had for now the last 65 years."

In my opinion, aside from their potential appeal from their unique looks, Vogue Tyres also are purported to be very high quality, and they also carry one of the longest warrantees in the business (up to 80,000 miles on some of their models).

You can also get Vogue tyres with blackwalls (I believe), or you can install them "inside out" to get a blackwall while enjoying the quality and long tread life.

http://vogue-tyre.com/index2.html

• richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Yesterday, I was given an "out the door" price of about $43,600 on a new 2002 loaded DTS that lists at 53K. This includes 6K Cash Back incentive, plus a GM employee discount, and a 1K hold back.

This sounded pretty good to me until I saw all the posts regarding big depreciation the first year.

Is this a really good deal, or is the automatic depreciation negating the 6K cash back incentive?

Any help is apprciated since the car I'm interested in may be sold off the lot fairly soon. Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ....imho, the $6K cash back incentive somewhat, but does not completely, offset the depreciation. But, as with all cars at the end of the model year, find out the difference in price between a 2002 and 2003, then make a decision.
    On my Olds Intrigue, you can select no auto lock or unlock so I would think that you could on the Cadillac as well. Did your 96 not also have this feature? I know some Cadillacs have had this feature since the early 1980s.

richm4, that is a damn good price on a damn nice car!! Yes, depreciation is bad on these cars but cars are not good financial investments anyway and luxury cars do depreciate alot in the first few years. If you like the car, I'd get it as that seems like a good deal. Is it brand new and not a "demo"?
    In my neck of the woods (NY)a 02 base Deville
    used is around 28k. I hear ya about poor
    resale. But I do get the GM employee deal
    etc. I keep them to 100k miles and about
    6 years. I always buy the base Deville
    with few options (roof, chromies, bose)
    to keep the price down. I got 6k trade on
    my 96 when I got my 02 Deville.....
    Want Resale buy a GM xcab 4x4 !
    I traded my 97 GM truck for a 01 last year
    and got $16500 trade ! Go figure...
    the 96 Caddy cost MORE than the 97 truck !
    Good Luck..........geo
    My 96 Deville, moms 98, and my 01 chev.
    truck you can program them a bunch of
    ways on, off, lock in gear, lock at 15
    mph etc.....Read manual in my 02 and my
    dads new 02 S-10 and there seems NO way
    to just shut them off completely.
    I can live with it !........geo
  • incontrolincontrol Member Posts: 12
    After 6mo and 10,000km (6000 miles for the metrically impaired:) I can say this....The car is absolutely superb, zero snags, looks great, runs fantastic, it's fast, has presence and prestige, and best of all, my women love it! Dark blue with oatmeal interior, extraordinary sound system, makes you feel like a somebody. And all this praise comes from a former Audi/BMW owner (which are also very good cars...) Totally happy with my purchase. For those of you trying to figure out depreciation/price/value etc. let me help you ...go with your heart, you only live once.
    Is yours a base, DHS, or DTS?
    It's a 2002 DTS, all options except the DVD navigation package and night vision. These are costly gadgets which I do not need. IMHO, the DTS, with its wood steering, shifter, console, better leather, nicer instrumentation, electronic suspension and stronger engine is worth the extra cash.
    I agree. BTW, does yours have XM radio?
    Wanted to, but it's not available in Canada just yet. (go figure)
    Any of you have a 02 Caddy ? I notice
    that the horn sounds different than my
    old 96 or my moms 98. Did they change
    them ? Caddy horns had a sound of their own...............geo
    ...I did notice the different-sounding horn vis-a-vis my 1994 DeVille. My 1989 Brougham has the awesome 4-note Cadillac trumpet horn. It sounds like a locomotive.
  • hlcaurorahlcaurora Member Posts: 2
    Just a note of appreciation for the folks on this thread. Your combined experiences contributed to my decision to purchase a new 2002 DeVille DTS--I thoroughly enjoy this vehicle! I had many different cars to choose from (Lexus, BMW, Lincoln...), but I found that the exceptionally quiet, controlled ride and responsive drive train of the Cadillac best suited me (Also like the body styling). The dealer expressed muted surprise that a 39 year old male would choose this car :-) I suppose I do not fit advertised marketing plans or demographic projections! Regardless, I share your pleasure in owning one of these fine automobiles.
    I just started reading this board for the first time recently and, quite frankly, am shocked there are so many relatively young Caddy owners.

I'm 38 and was sort of embarrassed about becoming interested in Cadillacs. Reading these posts has somewhat alleviated my embarrassment.

While I don't care too much for the CTS, I must admit the DTS and STS have a certain appeal to me. It must be the nice interior. I love my 98 Grand Prix, but I am getting so tired of the cheap looking Pontiac interior. It would be nice if Cadillac woke up and offered the center console without having to spend 50K on a DTS, though.
  • craig2000craig2000 Member Posts: 13
    My first Caddy was a 2001 STS fully loaded. I was 37 at the time (2 yrs ago). I am now 39 and going to be leasing either a DTS or another STS in Dec (if not sooner). My 2001 is diamond white with every option possible including the nav system. I too do not care for the CTS, but that is probably because I am spoiled with the STS. I am looking at a 2003 black DTS with lighter interior. Any feedback from DTS drivers appreciated. Thanks.
    I'm a 20 year old.......(trapped in a 45-year old body:)
    Well guys, I'm 27 and if I had $50K to spend on a car there would be a Crimson Pearl STS(or maybe a Sable Black DTS) in my driveway. I have always liked Cadillacs, even in the early 90s when their cars were rather stoic looking. I currently have an Oldsmobile Intrigue and am seriously considering a CTS to replace it in a year or so as the CTS is closer to my price range and it is an absolute joy to drive. Unless I see killer deals on 03s late next summer, I'm waiting for the 2004 model which may get some interior tweaks and a more powerful standard V6 engine. Funny thing is that many of my friends who are my age like Cadillacs as well and believe me, they are fully aware of what a Northstar V8 will do. Trouble again is the price of entry. The Catera never appealed to me, but the CTS certainly does and hopefully will give us "younger" and less heeled Caddy fans a worthy entry level model.
  • 69cad69cad Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a used 2000 DeVille. When I got it I found that the driver door speaker was not working. I took it to my Cadillac dealer, and they said it was just disconnected. The used car dealer (not a Cadillac dealer) I bought the car from told me that there was a problem with the door chime, and that I should have the Cadillac dealer check it, but when I got the car, there was no problem, so I thought it had gone away. Now that the speaker is reconnected, the door chime goes off ALL the time the driver door is open, and the car is NOT running (when running and the driver door is opened the chime does not go off). My Cadillac dealer did a search for warranty work on the car, and found that the ignition key assembly had been replaced. I also discovered that the door electric lock button will not lock the doors. I remember from reading the owners manual that the system is programed to disable the door lock button when a key is in the ignition. I am wondering if something is causing the car to think there is a key in the ignition, thus causing the door chime and the electric lock button to not work. The electric lock button will unlock the doors, but not lock them.

Anyone have any ideas, or has this ever been discussed before? That door chime is loud and drives me nuts! Otherwise the car is a joy to drive! 25,000 miles on it, and the interior is like new.

My only other problem is that I can not drive this lovely car and enjoy it, because.....it is a hearse. It is very frustrating to spend a lot of money on a luxury car and not be able to enjoy hitting the road in it! Due to the cost of hearses, I paid more (or maybe equal to) for this 2000 used than I think anyone paid for a brand new sedan in 2000.
    Maybe you are leaving something in the
    car turned on. Headlights, Int. lights ,
    etc. How long have you had this car?
    Most newer cars have a dealer warranty
    and/or the remainder of the mfrs. new car
    warranty. There may be a deductable
    on it tho. What state are you in ?
    Call that dealer and Caddy warranty
    service 800 number in your owners books.
    Prob. just a simple wiring problem !
    You could always pull out/disconnect
    The crazy chime !.....
    good luck keep us posted !.......geo
    Since I'm somewhat new to this messageboard, I was wondering what kinds of perks most dealers offer when you bring your Caddy in for service ?

For example, I've heard that Lexus offers things like free car washes, and the like.
    ...I'm perhaps the youngest buyer of a new Cadillac Brougham. I was only 24 when I purchased a new 1989 Cadillac Brougham in January of that year. My second new Cadillac - a base model 1994 DeVille was purchased at 29. My 2002 Seville STS was purchased just 4 months short of my 37th birthday.
    why gm doesn't offer the bucker seats, at least as an option, in the base deville is a major drawback for me. to spend the extra money for the dhs or dts just to get the shifter on the floor and the bucket seats, isn't worth it to me. jackg
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Actually,I like the bench. After all,how often are you going to be driving a Deville agressively enough to want to manually shift the automatic? Buckets can offer more lateral support,but when was the last time a Deville was driven in such a sporting manner.
    I think buckets look a little silly in such a wide car. And the bench giver the front at least visually the perception of being a roomier cabin.
    It's a nice place to rest your right hand.
    And finally,it's nice to have wife or girlfriend slide a little closer when cruisin'.
    Funny,but i wouldn't object to the stiffer DTS,but I'd never get buckets. I almost bought a base Deville for my wife last year,but she thought it too stodgy(I disagree),so we got a Catera.And if IT could have come with a colum shift,I'd have gone for it in a minute.
    The extra $$ for the DTS gets you more than just bucket seats and a floor console. Start with 25 more hp, 17" wheels, a suspension upgrade, and a few other things such as real wood(base Devilles have fake), better instrumentation, and perforated leather seating. If you the upgraded instrumentation, real wood, and a few other upgrades over a base Deville but don't want the bucket seats, get a DHS.
    New base 02 deville here ! The BOSS wanted
    the bench seat ! So her litte doggie could
    sit next to her...LOL.....Me I am lucky to
    even get the shotgun seat. Gotta sit in
    back to keep the kids apart !!!!!..geo
    that buckets aren't offered on the base since the
    engineers made such an improvement in the handling of the platform over the previous deville, that buckets would be a natural choice. i defintely see the advantage to a bench, when it comes to snuggling or hauling people, i just think that gm could sell more devilles with the option of buckets and a floor shifter.

for me the cost difference is big enough between the base and the dhs/dts to preclude their selection. jackg
    I think GM figures it will make more $$$ since people will spend the extra $7,000 between the base and the DTS to get the sportier interior, analog guages, etc.
    Does anyone remember when Cadillacs had those little "extra" touches that really separated them from the other GM products? Think back to say, 1983 or 1984. If you looked inside a Sedan DeVille as opposed to say, an Electra or Ninety Eight, you noticed certain things. For instance:
    1. Cadillac (and all GM divisions) actually had their own shift and steering wheel designs
    2. Ashtrays (all with lighters) made of real metal, not black aluminum that feels like plastic, that could even hold a cigar in the back seat!
    3. Back-of-the-front seat handles/pulls
    4. Those "braces" underhood that looked like a giant X (only Caddy had these-I suppose to lessen vibrations?)
    5. Deeper-pile and more dense carpeting, and a real rubber mat for the trunk-not another mat of Cavalier-grade carpet
    6. Power trunk lid pull down
    7. Guidematic lights (auto-dim) - if they could design it to work in 1958, why not in 2002?

These are just a few little things that I remember Cadillacs having - and I am only 34. Not having any of these features certaintly wont stop me from getting a 2003 DeVille (base), but I sure miss them! If anyone can think of other features old Caddys had, let me know. I know that GM could put all of these features on the DeVille for probably $ 1000 or so (remember they are building roughly 100,000 DeVilles per year), and I would gladly pay! I hope they're listening!!!
    ...you pretty much described my 1989 Cadillac Brougham! Don't forget the three fender-mounted fiber optic lights on each front fender! It has all those features. My 1994 DeVille had the trunk pull-down and little red lights above the rear window in the interior to show turn direction, brake lights, and illuminated taillamps. These features are strangely absent in my 2002 STS. I sure miss them! Of course my STS has a lot of features absent from my '89 Brougham and '94 DeVille.