Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jchanceyjchancey Member Posts: 5
    I decided to investigate the AAA negotiated price with a local dealer here in San Jose. They informed me AAA's negotiated price is 8% above invoice, which would still be a little under MSRP. Seems reasonable but I'm not convinced that's the best deal I can get. Anyone else using the AAA buying program?
  • harryfatharryfat Member Posts: 132
    Where are you in northern CA? In the SF bay area, Hayward Toyota advertises $1K off any pre orders. May not be the best deal you will end up with, but at least it's a small discount to start you shopping and get other dealers to discount their prices.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    "... but at least it's a small to start you shopping and get other dealers to discount their prices."

I see many posters mentioned discounting the Sienna in CA. This reminds me that when I started talk to several dealers here in MA about discount. They responded me that they are not start a trend by discounting the Sienna and gave me brunch of BS. I though, if they discount one for $500, more people will go to them other than dealer #2 or else for more business. Again, business is business. They have no reason to discount the van at this time.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You will not see a line item on the invoice for Dealer Holdback. It is already "in" the factory invoice price (Toyota's is 2% of the Base MSRP which you must calculate before adding options). You can't really use it as a negotiating tool, but you should be aware that it is there. (It has to do with how long the car is sitting on the dealer's lot...go back and read the Holdback article link I provided). Even if the dealer sells you the car for $1 over factory invoice, they can still make hundreds of dollars in profit so long as the car hasn't been sitting on their lot that long.

Destination is not negotiable. For the Sienna it is $510.00 Again this will be a line item on the Factory Invoice (we show it on the Edmunds.com pricing as well).

TDA - I **think** that this is in the invoice price as well and will not appear as a line-item on the invoice. I'll have to double-check on that one.

Therefore, when you buy you will hopefully pay something like Factory Invoice + Destination ($510.00). Then add on your title, taxes to get the "out the door price".

Notice that I have been saying FACTORY INVOICE. This can be different depending on your dealer. The dealer may put on the window a "Dealer Invoice" which is basically the factory + any little extra goodies (not) that the dealer decided to put on and markup after they received the car (paint protection, etc.).

When I did my shopping and requesting quotes online (yes, through the Edmunds pricing pages), after the dealer responded to ask which specific make/model/trim/options I was looking for I made sure to put in my email back the following:

"-NO dealer "extras", just what the factory sends and is listed on the factory invoice."

The factory invoice $ they quote you should match what we have here online. Be sure that they break down for you factory invoice + destination.

Good luck!
  • beckyo2beckyo2 Member Posts: 24
    Try Toyota of Danville in Tilton IL. I bought from them this week and got what I think was a great deal. No bull, he found my van in less than 24 hours EXACTLY how I wanted it. Good Luck.

Becky
    I think it's a question of how badly they want your business and how many vans they have coming versus the number of people on the waiting list, if any.

When I first started with Sienna price quotes last month, everybody here in the SF bay area told me there's no way they're going below MSRP because it's a "hot van." Whatever.

Now there's one dealer already advertising in the newspaper saying they will discount Siennas by $1000 off MSRP. So if other dealers want to price match or beat that price, there's a target to for them to shoot for.

Nobody wants to be the first to discount if they still can sell at MSRP or have a long waiting list. But if 1 maverick dealership wants the early Sienna business more than its peers, then you have wiggle room as a consumer as you use that in your negotiation.

Personally speaking, $1000 off is still nothing to write home about, especially you can get deals elsewhere in the country at lower prices, but if he needs the van within the next month and is unwilling to go far from his home town, then $1000 off is his starting point.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    If you really, really want the '04 Sienna, I would suggest you stop reading these posts for the next 3 months and get your minds off this topic. If you keep on reading, you will lose your patience and end up buying the Sienna at MSRP or close to it, which is a rip-off. Just think that if you bought one today for MSRP, you would be really upset by the end of the year when everyone else is getting $3,000 off MSRP. Don't do it, man!
    Get your minds off this topic and do something else. Harry and I lost our patience and we decided to just get the Odyssey, which I don't regret at all because mine has NAV and DVD RES :-)
    Now you just can't beat NAV!
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    Has anyone purchased a Sienna in Western PA. If so, what did you pay?
  • jchanceyjchancey Member Posts: 5
    I'm in San Jose, actually. I just spoke with Toyota of Palo Alto yesterday. The fleet manager there is offering $1K off MSRP for new Sienna's.
    My point exactly. Now that Hayward Toyota has established the Bay Area Sienna pricing at $1000 off MSRP, you shouldn't have to work very hard to get any dealer to match that price.

Now the next round is to find a third dealer willing to go even lower.
  • beckyo2beckyo2 Member Posts: 24
    with the BW pkg., mats and a cargo net in phantom grey pearl. I hope to be driving it home in 18 days!

Peace, Becky
  • leagraleagra Member Posts: 7
    I've called Toyota of Danville. Hopefully, I'll be able to come back and report that I got the beckyo2 deal. If not, I'm headed to New Orleans, where the dealers are willing to entertain discussions on discounting this "hot vehicle."
  • kmartinhdkmartinhd Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading these boards for the last 2 months or so while I was doing my research on minivans. The wife and I had decided on a Honda Odyssey until I heard about the new Sienna.

Anyway, we started calling every dealer in the Maryland and Virginia area and most would only sell at sticker (and some above sticker - Yeah right!).

However, one of the dealers responded to an Internet quote request I had filled out. When he called me, I let him know (thanks to this board) that I wasn't playing any games and that if I couldn't get a reasonable offer that I would buy the Honda. So, he said he would see what he could do. A day later he called back and offered me $500 under MSRP.

Not bad (especially compared to what most were offering at the time), but I knew I could do better, so I called several other dealers and told them I had an offer on the table for $500 under MSRP in writing (I had the deal in writing because I went to the dealer that made me the offer and put a $200 deposit on the van) and asked them if they wanted my business they'd have to beat that deal.

Some said no way, others wanted to know how I was getting that deal (almost like they were angry that some dealer was breaking some hidden pact between all Toyota dealers or something).

In the end, several dealers did agree to match the price, but only one would do better. I then took that offer back to the original dealer and they agreed to beat it by including several of the extra options we wanted (like floor mats, cargo net, alloy wheel locks, etc...) for "free".

The bottom line is that we got a 2004 LE with Option package #7 (Aspen green) for $900 off MSRP. Not too bad given the current supply and demand situation. No doubt we could have done better by waiting a few more months when the supply picks up (CarMax told us that their allocations would pick up in May or June), but we needed it for a trip so we couldn't wait any longer.

The dealership is Jerry's Toyota and they are located just North of Baltimore.

Happy Hunting!!
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    If you're really willing to drive, try straatman toyota, southwest of St. Louis. $1,000 off MSRP. BUT, it's a 4 hour drive from Peoria, so about 7 or so each way from Chicago suburbs. They do respond to e-mail, so I'd try that first.
  • CindyMCindyM Member Posts: 15
    Wondering if that 2% over invoice deal came through for you over the weekend?
  • socal4socal4 Member Posts: 8
    I have successfully gotten a So. Cal. dealer to do 2% over invoice on an XLE package 15. This is what I did. I sent an email to about 25 to 30 dealers advising that I was a serious buyer and had learned from other buyers that they had obtained a deal at 2% over invoice and was looking for the same deal. I would not have had that information without this site, so thanks to Edmunds. The majority of replies basically told me that I was out of my mind given the demand for the vehicle. However, at some point I hit "pay dirt" with an email from the internet manager at Wondries Toyota in Alhambra, CA indicating that he would do 2% over invoice. We spoke on the phone and he advised that he may have access to a vehicle with the options I wanted by trading with another dealer. That didn't materialize and I am now ordering the vehicle with them at 2% over invoice.

It is interesting that I did get some more emails from other dealers telling me I was crazy after striking this deal. Some were rather cocky that I felt compelled to share my deal with them. South Coast Toyota then indicated that they would also do 2% over invoice. Some of the other "cocky" dealers followed by indicating that they would work with me and come off MSRP, though they didn't specify how much.

In my opinion, the key is to do all of this by email as it shifts the balance of power more toward the buyer.

I must admit that I do feel lucky for the deal. When I advised the sales person I dealt with that I would recommend the dealer to others on the internet looking for a Sienna, he replied by saying "I hope you didn't tell them that I gave you 2% over invoice". I sheepishly indicated that I had and he reluctantly said to go ahead and refer them though he was clearly less than thrilled.
  • gator42gator42 Member Posts: 1
    Any success in CT under MSRP? If so where?
    I have been shopping for XLE with Leather. I am told MSRP is it - by a couple dealers. Anyone have any better luck. I am also trading in a car and will try to get more since they are making big $$ on these vans.

MSRP is $32,919 - though MSRP still seems worth it but we may wait for summer when inventories go up.
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    Try Basil Toyota, Lockport, NY. (near Buffalo) It's probably a little farther than you are looking for though.
    Sylvia (staff) - There are several European auto markers don't have holdback (Audi, BMW, Land Rover and Saturn with one-price sale). Is this make any different when negotiate the price? Still pay 2 to 3% over invoice? I am think if we pay 2% over the invoice on the vehicle which the dealer is already added the 2% holdback over the factory invoice. And they are making 4% of the factory invoice. Right?
    Let me check with Phil Reed our resident car buying expert and get his take on it.
    Sounds like the market is easing up a little bit, compare to few weeks ago. One dealer emailed me on this LE 7 passenger AWD (incoming vehicle) with LE package #1 and floor mats for $28645 ($846 off the $29391 MSRP). I am only interested in 8 passenger and FWD. And again, $3028 profit (between invoice and MSRP), or $2282 after $846 off. I can't make the decision because it is not the vehicle that I want. Anyone interested this deal? This is not a sell. But it is just for someone in MA who is willing to drive one (Aspen Green) now.

Sylvia (staff) - Thanks for checking.
  • fourman96fourman96 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone...just got done test driving the new 2004 Sienna yesterday, and I loved it. I saw that Blandfordm asked some questions earlier (around post number 950 or so) about dealers in the Atlanta area...what did you discover? Did you get the $1000 off MSRP, and if so, at what dealership?

Thanks!
    Ok - here is the response that I got...

"Calculating the holdback complicates the deal enormously. Furthermore, as you point out, some cars don’t even include the holdback. TMV is really the best way to go because the holdback and other factors have already been applied to adjust the price. I recommend that you use TMV as a benchmark but test local dealer’s prices by getting multiple quotes. You should be able to beat TMV."

To add my 2 cents worth (Sylvia), I basically start at the invoice price and start from there. It is important to know what dealer holdback is, but haven't used it in negotiations. I figure that anything over invoice is the gravy for the dealership/salesman.

Hope that helps.
    Sylvia (staff) - Thanks! I was just cruious about the holdback on those vehicles who has no holdback (several European cars) or one-price sale (Saturn) since I was talking about it on this forum. I was wondering what's on the dealer invoice (without 2 or 3% holdback). Are they still making hundreds when they sell one for $1 over invoice. (I am not concerned wheather they can send their kids to college). Anyway, there should be less discount when we are talking about the BMW or Audi.
  • blandfordmblandfordm Member Posts: 54
    I've found $1K off MSRP at World Toyota and Sandy Springs Toyota, which are both in Atlanta and at the Georgia Automall in Buford, GA. I got the price from Georgia Automall through the Costco Auto Buying Program. I'm wanting to find a better deal than $1K off MSRP. If anyone does near Atlanta or Macon, GA, please let me know.
  • eemeeeme Member Posts: 9
    Test drive it on weekend and like it. All LEs at
    the dealer has not only Toyota options but also
    Gulf Coast distributor options (have about 10 on the lot). Got a quote
    from another dealer by email for LE 8 with Option #3
    for 26,000 (380 under MSRP).
    However I'm going to wait and don't see any reason
    why the price won't go down.
    Learned more different option/accessory packages from Kelly Blue Book website which is not on Edmunds. For example, Protection Plus Group (XT7) which includes roadside assistant, rental car, glass etch (available only in Southeast region). For the price, $231 for invoice and $699 for MSRP.
  • maharmmaharm Member Posts: 3
    I live in upstate NY near cooperstown and i am looking for a 8 pass. LE with option 11 (cm).I am looking for invoice + 2%. IF anyone has information that may help with this purchase please email or post a message. I am willing to drive upto 5 hrs .
  • fanasiennafanasienna Member Posts: 6
    Anyone in upstate NY should call Basil Toyota, in Lockport, NY, and ask to speak to the internet salesperson. I got a great deal from her, similar to what you're looking for. However, it was only from the internet salesperson. I talked to someone else there who gave me a different quote.
    Good luck!
  • george66george66 Member Posts: 7
    Just dove one home from Jay Toyota, Columbus, GA. Purchased through Internet Sales. No tricks at delivery. Highly recommend the dealership. Don't try to trade-in though. Depending on availability, should be able to get $800-1000 below MSRP. It was worth the 8 hours of driving. My local Toyota dealer is a rip-off artist!
  • vanditvandit Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys...I am in the market for the new Sienna, and am apalled by the pricing on these fools...After reading all the threads on pricing, I was wondering where the best place to buy in California would be...Bakersfield, but socal is okay. I am looking to buy an LE (7passenger) with package#9.

Also, if the dealer doesn't have the car in stock, how does that play in the negotiation game? What is a reasonably low price to pay for the Sienna? Sorry for the many questions, but this is the first new car for me, and I don't want to mess it up...Thanks
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    There is a dealership in Dallas (an honest one) and they are advertising in the paper $1000 of MSRP on 2004 Sienna's.

Adam
    Way to go SoCal4!!!! And, thank you for sharing the info. It's great to have identified two dealers who have been coaxed into the 2% over invoice deal. We will be contacting them both today!!! The front page of today's LA Times Highway Section being devoted entirely to the Sienna may or may not help the cause!!
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    When we first were looking for a Sienna, we were talking with a dealership that was MSRP or bust. We found one out of town that would take $1,000 off, and so told the city dealership "forget it". That city dealership said, "well, good luck seeing the car. Lots of places are taking orders they can't fill." We thought it was sour grapes. However, the out of town dealership hasn't done squat in 5 weeks, as far as we can tell. No build date on a preference, no swaps, no allocation (supposedly). We went to a 3d dealership who is also offering $1,000 off, but happened to have a van coming in that exactly matched what we wanted. So, now we have a build date and a tentative delivery date. Adios to the dealer who told us nothing in 5 weeks. Frankly, I get the impression that he'll be glad to have us cancel our order; he apparently agreed to the $1,000 off before he realized there were fools out there willing to pay him MSRP.

All I'm saying is, be careful. If you're forcing someone into a good deal for you, can you really be sure they will come up with the van? The 3d dealership said they had heard lots of places were taking orders to boost their numbers for Toyota, but can't/won't fill them. We wasted 5 weeks with a dealership before we wised up...
    Just got a chance to browse another forum and see what they have to.

Forum: Nissan Quest 2004
    Post No: 130
    Silvia, I have a question for you. I have been in correspondence with Longo toyota and the dealer there accuses some people on edmunds.com as dealers who want people to stay out of the market for the new Sienna. Also, is it true that NO dealer will offer below MSRP on this car? Man, I am so peeved by what this dealer said. I mean, sure there is a high demand for this car, and limited supply, but there must be a dealer that doesn't take advantage of consumers by charging MSRP and above. Can you recommend any dealerships that are honest and are willing to do business without taking advantage of consumers? Also, is there any leverage that consumers can use to get the best deals possible on new cars such as the 2004 Sienna? Like you said in an earlier post, I am sure that anything over invoice is "gravy" for the dealers so why must they gouge prices like mad? Thanx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sylvia may be hanging out with her fellow Odyssey owners now that I'm back from vacation. In any event, we have quite a few salespeople posting on Town Hall and most of them are very helpful. A few just want to solicit and their posts get deleted and they get invited to leave if they persist. It's pretty easy to spot a "shill" who is posing as a consumer or trying to "take people out of the market."

MSRP (or over) isn't unusual for a hot new car, even in the current economy. It's capitalism at its finest, and dealers always price their cars to sell at what the market will bear.

You can't really fault dealers for wanting to make a profit. What you can do is walk-away from a dealer that you think is gouging and taking advantage of the high demand.

Unless your current ride is dying or coming off lease, try to be patient and let the supply rise some. But if you want to be the first on your block, you're gonna have to pay for the privilege.

To find "reasonable" dealers, try a "blast email" (or fax) and be willing to travel some. Here's an article in our Buying section that may help:

Part One: Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying (read part two also).

Some dealers can be jerks, but just keep reminding yourself that you are the one with the money.

Steve, Host
    Steve (host) - I said this to all Sienna hunters before. Drop few emails to dealers so they know you are in the market for Sienna. Then give yourself few months until the supply finally matches the demand. You can drive one now for full MSRP (most have to order) or save as much as $2K in months. By that time, people may shift focus on the new Nissan Quest. Happy hunting!
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    sorry just dropping in for a quickie poll. So far I haven't seen anyone posting any great discounts for the NYC area. Except there was one for New Brunswick Toyota, but he was a repeat customer.

Is it safe to say that most dealers in the midwest area are more willing to discount the Sienna now, than lets say the NJ, NYC, CT, and East PA area?
    Thanx for the help steve. Are there any dealers in the Los Angeles area that are known for their wonderful service and price?
    When are the new Quests coming out?
    I guess I'll just wait and see how the market will be in a couple of months.
    I second what Steve said.

"Never" is a pretty strong word. As you can see from what people are posting, they are finding dealers in certain situations/locations who are able to go below MSRP even with the high demand.
    Nissan Quest - Properly due in this summer. You can check out what people are saying about it on that forum. Anyway, back to the Sienna pricing. I think 2% over invoice is the best deal because there is already 2% holdback build in to the dealer invoice. So 2% over that is reasonable. Be patient. It will pays off.
  • maharmmaharm Member Posts: 3
    steve could you give me more details about blast emails. Whats the best way to set this up? do you need to find dealer email addresses first? thanks for your help! mark.
    I did a variation of Blast Fax Car Buying when I bought new back in '99, mainly so I'd have quotes and stuff in writing. Basically you contact some dealers, tell them what you want and how much you want to pay, and see what kind of response you get.

Most of the dealers are now net saavy and often have an internet contact person. Probably the easiest way to find dealer email addresses is through the manufacturer's home page, or use our Dealer Price Quotes link.

Check out Online Car Buying Revisited for some of the latest tips.

Steve, Host
  • mmc8mmc8 Member Posts: 8
    So I have finally seen an 04 Sienna "invoice" and I am still confused. First, this "invoice" as the dealer was showing it to me was a computer print out and not an official looking invoice, but the sales person said it was in fact the invoice and what they (the dealer) paid.

There was a line item for the car + options. Underneath that line item were the following charges:
    1) Destination - $510
    2) TDA ~$500.00
    3) Dealer holdback ~$400.00
    4) Wholesale financial reserve - ~$250.00
    5) Gasoline - $6.00

The sales person said that these were non-negotiable items and that they were NOT dealer add-ons. But what I do not get is that neither KBB or Edmunds show these costs (other than destination).

So are these costs legit???? I understand TDA. But is the holdback already factored in or is this line item it?
    And what is this wholesale financial reserve deal???
    You shouldn't have to pay for all those.

1) Destination - $510 - Legit

2) TDA ~$500.00 - Legit, although some would argue that you could negotiate on this.

3) Dealer holdback ~$400.00 - You don't pay for that. Holdback is what the dealer gets in 90 days after the vehicle is sold. It's not an up front cost. Don't pay it.

4) Wholesale financial reserve - ~$250.00 - This is a pure dealer profit markup. Don't pay it.

5) Gasoline - $6.00 - Usually built into the holdback percentage back to the dealer along with dealer prep.

Just my $.02.
    Well, after speaking with Wondries Toyota in Alhambra and not being able to find a vehicle we want for a dealer trade, we began to discuss ordering one. Yes, the Internet Sales Manager indicated he would be willing to offer the vehicle at 2% over invoice, but if the invoice figures change between now and the date of billing (i.e., if they go up)we will find ourselves faced with a different purchase price. Not willing to settle agreement at current invoice figures....hmmmmm.....dicey or just the way it is????

Also, entails a $1000 deposit which he says we would get back if we were not happy with the vehicle (physically) for some reason; but not sure about getting the deposit back if the invoice figures would change so drastically that we no longer wanted to purchase the vehicle.....(he'll check...)
  • mmc8mmc8 Member Posts: 8
    kgnw1:
    Question (and I mean no disrespect), but is your opinion or do you know for a fact that Toyota dealers will negotiate on holdback and the reserve fee?

The dealer seems pretty adamant about not negotiating these items and I am not sure if I really have any foundation to try to negotiate.

Thanks!
    Everything is negotiable. But often it's easier to concentrate on an "out the door" price rather than trying to get a dealer to budge on a specific item. Take a look at everything, figure out what your bottom line is going to be and stick to your guns. If you can :-)

Ah, the siren call of car fever, lol.

Steve, Host
    All I can tell you is what I got on my deal. More details on post #938. Factory hold back for Toyota is 2% and is stated on the factory invoice. So even if they sell the vehicle at invoice they make money on the back end.

Base MSRP on my XLE Limited is $34,480.00. TDA is based on based MSRP your region defined by Toyota. In my region the TDA 2.3% which is $795.00.

Base invoice is $30,685 plus $1400 for option (HE) DVD RES+center console. The deal I got was 2% over invoice + TDA + Destination.

$32,085 Invoice with options.
    $795 TDA
    $510 Destination
    $666 2% markup
    $34,056 Sub-Total and this is what I paid.

I estimate that the dealer made at least $1366 on the deal and probably more with the TDA factor. Steve is right, I concentrated more on out the door price on my deal. I was happy to get my van for under MSRP, especially at this early date.