Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I have all of these rates at work...email me at
    westerVW@msn.com and I will either email or fax
    these numbers to you...remember, these are tiered
    rates based on your Fair Isaac Score...715+ = *A*
    Tier and those are the best rates...2.9% for 24mos
    3.9% for 36mos., etc.

If you don't score that high the rates are still
    great...there is a *B*, *C*, and *D* as well...

Let me know if you want more info...PS
  • downbylawdownbylaw Member Posts: 15
    how long does this promotion last? i was planning on waiting until late spring to buy, but if i can get a really low apr that might convince me otherwise.
  • sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    owned our '96 Passat VR6 GLX wagon, the dealership service department diagnosed our rough idle as bad gas. At that time it was Shell that we were told to avoid (causes corrosion).

Two weeks later, the faulty PCM was replaced! Gas; my eye! That's a "Shell" game!

AnyWho... my mix of candidates for a new car has expanded. I need an opinion or two, so I came to y'all!

I'm looking at three coupes, one of which I'd like to buy sometime in the next six weeks or so. But I thought I'd throw a cool sedan in the mix, and see if it floats my boat!

I'm looking at the '01 Jetta GLS V6 auto. That's the easy part. The packages are a little confusing. I'd like the sport suspension package and the leather, but have zero use for the cold weather gig (California, you know). Impressions? Advice? Deals?

I'm willing to give Wolfsburg another shot (the '96 Passat was beautiful and a blast, but the WORST maintenance nightmare ever), so a little frank input on current quality control is helpful as well.

Thanks,
    Mark
    This current Promotion...Jettas & Beetles only
    runs through the close of business on 28 FeB.

The only things that the new VW Products have in
    common with MY 96 are the names...And by the way,
    you will grow to appreciate the heated seats and
    back cushions that warmup...I, too, thought them to be useless until I started using them last year...was really surprised...
  • timmahtimmah Member Posts: 1
    I know you have all probabally shared this info with each other but I just can't find it in the thousands of posts so I registered to ask for your help. Anyway, I would appreciate any replies as to what you paid for your 2001 1.8T Jetta's, either the GLS or the Wolfsburg. Please include options also, I want to be as informed as possible when I start making offers to the dealer. Feel free to email me personally at vwgti_86@yahoo.com if you would like. TIA for any help!
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    I paid 20,100 including all 3 options, moonroof, heated seats, and monsoon. Fair price, 500$ over invoice, 21,2 out the door tax title license.
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    $20,400 for the Wolfsburg with all three options.
  • venky76venky76 Member Posts: 1
    Hey was wondering how to add up the invoice price of a car with options. suppose the wolfsburg has a invoice of $17,713, and the options are:
    1. moonroof , invoice price:$808
    2. Monsoon sound, invoice price:$287

So does this make the invoice price of the car as 17,713+808+287=18,808? Is this the invoice figure to be used to bargain with the dealer?Or is is lower? Also is a additional charge of $75+117 accounting for delivery charges and port charges valid?(The dealer said that it would be charges by everyone in california)Would appreciate the replies. Can't wait to own my Jetta Wolfsburg!!!
  • njjettaownernjjettaowner Member Posts: 17
    hey i bought a similar car gls blue lagoon vr6 sport-luxury, leather, spoiler 17' rimsif you dont mind what did you pay i think i got a good deal i think i read the invoice price right on this sight though they did not have all the options on here
  • chrisddochrisddo Member Posts: 5
    Hey, I purchased a 1.8T with sports luxury (tan leather), 17" rims, heated seats, sunroof, monsoon, and extra 6 year 108,000 mile warranty in Galatic Blue about a month ago for 22K

CD
  • lbihnlbihn Member Posts: 13
    Just a few questions...

How did you tell the turbo was bad each time?
    How often do you change oil?
    How many miles on the car?
    How do you drive the car typically?

I have a 2001 TDI myself, and I have not had any problems so far, (13,000 miles in 4 months, hard and fast hwy driving)
    what do you think of the tdi? i want ot get one in the near future. what kind of mileage do you get? i was also wondering about cold starts. do you live in a locale that gets cold in the winter? i live in indiana and i was a little concerned about the car starting when the temperature is in the single digits. also, is the acceleration adequate? i know it has more torque than the vr6.
  • sll3sll3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a Jetta and have begun researching both new and used online. The used prices listed on Autobytel seem quite high when compared to the new price on CarsDirect. In fact, most 1999 and 2000 models comparable with the options I want (which are few!) are priced the same or higher than a brand new model. So if I can buy a brand new Jetta for just over $16,000 it seems odd that the prices for the used models with thousands of miles would be priced equally? Do the used dealers expect to be haggled down by a few thousand dollars?
  • kromkampkromkamp Member Posts: 5
    Is it in my best interests to approach a VW dealer and let them know that I plan to re-chip a Jetta 1.8T? Would I expect to find any dealers that endorse (and perhaps even install) the chip mod themselves?

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with VW dealers in the Toronto area regarding chip mod installs?

(BTW sll3 I agree with you about used VWs... The asking price is usually ludicrous, I dont really understand if this is just the game or if VWs are actually that high demand?)
  • 2curious2curious Member Posts: 3
    what's the final say on the "special" apr rates? looking to purchase a 2k1 jetta gls w/ lux. opt. and cold pkg. do the rates apply to "all" jetta's (auto. & manual)? sometimes they fool you and only offer it on one and not both (overstock?). looking to purchase this weekend or next.
    ALL new & unused(Registered Demo) Jettas,excluding
    TDI & Wolfsburg, Golfs,excluding TDI & GTI, Beetles, excluding TDI.
    Special APR offers end Feb. 28th...
  • hcornerhcorner Member Posts: 24
    >You still haven't given me any reason to believe there's anything wrong with the Mexican plant

I have three reasons, under-developed country, under-developed country and under-developed country. I can't think of any others though.....

Hey, did any of you see the trailer for the new Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts movie, "The Mexican"? They're driving a VW beetle and they're in Mexico!!!! Oh, the ironing is delicious.

>and I have my perfect Jetta to prove it. What do you have?

Stop rubbing it in......

>So go buy a Jetta - I know you want one!

I said, STOP!

Hey, vwguild, can't you just post that info right here, we want to know more about it. Even if the perspective is bias (you are a VW employee, right?), it's better then nothing.
  • bruceneabrucenea Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a few questions regarding a hum or whine in automatic transmissions. VW has finally admitted at least to me that they are having problems.The sound is most noticeable between 37 to 41mph. It has something to do with the way the final drive gear is machined.While this does not hurt the car,the sound drives you around the bend. VW has a test wehicle with the new fix. Hopefully you will see results in a few months. Be careful as most dealers will not admit to this problem. Thank you for the space.
    I just forwarded a letter to you that I sent to another Town
    Hall member who is putting together a Jetta Owners
    web site...maybe he can cut & paste it into it, but, personally, I think it is too long to post here...what do you think???
    These became available yesterday...good til 6 March...
  • lbihnlbihn Member Posts: 13
    See Post 811
    I can't say enough good things about this car.
    I live in Toledo OH and commute to North Detroit 65 mi one way every day.
    Cold starts: I went thru a typical MI winter, single digits a few days, never a problem. Once, I had to crank it over for 3 seconds cold, but usually 1-2 seconds for a start 99% of time. I use Sunoco Diesel, but I don't know if it makes a difference. The car stinks during cold starts though, and this is unavoidable, the nature of a diesel engine. Much less stink during warm starts.
    Acceleration: More than adequate on takeoffs, but you won't win any drag races. I can break the tires loose in 1st and 2nd if I get on it. Where this car really shines is passing from 60-90 mph. It feels strongest at 3000 RPM, then dies off.
    Mileage: I got 51 mpg doing 65mph all week during break in, 47 mpg lowest doing 85mph average and cop-hunting. I have an Excel spreadsheet of all 13,000 miles to prove it.
    My opinion, worth the extra $1000 if you put on many miles like I do, but if you only keep a car a few years, have fun and get a V6 loaded for a quick resell. Otherwise, get past your warranty period and chip the TDI out with Wetterauer or Upsolute and get 120+ HP and 200 ft-lbs torque. Then the fun will begin.

KROMKAMP: do not tell the dealer you are chipping. Why volunteer info that could only come back to bite you? If you do engine or tranny damage, they will have no mercy and you will likely have to buy parts from them. Best to play innocent. Check your local junkyards for spare 1.8T or Jetta parts - likely none to be found or you will pay thru the nose.
  • 2curious2curious Member Posts: 3
    What are the percentages for the special apr's and length associated with them? Lease details too. Opinion on the Jetta TDI.
    okay, i know this topic has been beat to death, but i've been struggling with the decision. the only difference between the base and monsoon system is a midrange adjustment capability and some amps. how much power do these amps put out? i was thinking about getting a blaupunkt casablanca, which is 40wx4. will this equal the wattage produced by the monsoon amps?
    I need to know if i got a good deal order a car monday They still have not found one. Blue lagoon,Grey leather, spoiler, vr6,sports suspension,and 17' rims, and luxary, package which includes the moonroof. leather includes the heated seats i payed $23,500 they also said they have a $ 100 north east emmisions cost (part of the price ) also this sight lists the suspunsion at $ 200 but the rims are 600 whic h makes the whole pakage $ 800 they combine it with the luxury and call it a sports luxury for $2058 PLEASE EVERYONE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION I put 100 dollars down which they said is refundable and they put it in writing so i can cancle the order if i want and neogiate somewhereles
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    Does anyone know of a way to import a new old style beetle from Mexico? I think the new beetle is ok but doesnt have the personality of the old one.

PS to all of you GLX and 1.8 turbo owners. The Subaru WRX debuts here in 18 days in wagon and sedan form and doesnt give me the stigma of driving a chick car. So there will be no more dominating of the low $20K sedan market. It starts at $23K. Also whats with the 25K price tag on the new jetta wagon. That's approaching Passat territory. Seems to me that Volkswagon is trying too hard to be like Audi and has forgotten its roots of being an affordable car maker. My $.02
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    I only paid 20,100 for my wolfsburg with monsoon, moonroof, and heated seats. That configuration you're talking about.. You shouldnt pay more than 21,8. Look up the invoice price, take off holdback, don't pay any interest or ad fees, and give him 3-5% profit, thats how you should come to your price, don't guess =]
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    http://www.btlmex.com/prices.htm

http://www.mexibeetle.com/

Try the above links for info. on the Mexican Beetle available in the US.

of $22,378 (invoice) for the GLS V6 auto with package PLA, and $22,511 with package PL5 (multi-function steering wheel, whatever the hell That means), which is what you described, and also what I'm interested in. That includes emissions; I'm in CA.

$21,800 seems a little unrealistic for a car that invoices at $22.5.

If $23,500 is an OTD price, I'd say you did just fine. If that's a pre-tax, fee and tag price, it seems about $600-$750 high.

But hey, what do I know!

Best,
    Mark
    I dont know if i was clear i have the (pla) leather package,the (PZA) Sport+luxury combinded package, which gives me the 17 inch rims and the spoiler 395 my dealer said its not listed here plus the (pmc) California NE emissions($100) all for 23500 before tax 6% in nj and license and moter vechical i didnt see no advertising fee but there was a $45 motor vehical messenger fee and a $45 clerical fee and $130 motor vehical feefor a od price of$25130
    I'm pricing, except for the spoiler. That must be a dealer installed/after-market piece.

You invoice looks like $22,378 plus maybe $200 for the spoiler (I would not pay more for THAT item). So call it $22,578 invoice.

Still sounds like they're about $500 high pre-tax.

Let me know how it goes. That's the same set up I like (minus the spoiler).

Best,
    Mark
  • kromkampkromkamp Member Posts: 5
    Ibihn, what I was really getting at is if any dealers unofficially endorse, or even install chip themselves. I'm sure they get a lot of requests...
  • marimba2marimba2 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Wolfsburg edition, Monsoon, Moonroof: $19975
    I've got about 575 miles on it, and I love it. This car is such fun to drive, and I've had no problems at all so far.
    Uh, Tazereli have you actually looked at the WRX? It looks like a Neon hit with an ugly stick! And dealers are marking them WAY up.

I'll take my $20,400 1.8T, chip it for $500 and pocket the $4000 thank you very much.
  • jwpggusfcajwpggusfca Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone who can advise me to buy Jetta or not to buy? I testdrove Jetta GLX today. It was great. But I'm concerned about the quality.

And if there's anyone who already bought Jetta GLX, could you tell me how much it cost? The one I drove today was GLX with every available option-such as sports suspension, 17" wheel, multi-function steering wheel, and head airbag.

Please help me. Because this is first time I'm about to buy Volswagen car, it makes me pretty nervous. The other I might consider is Accord EX-V6. Good night.
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    Quality is a hit and miss with any make, though some have a better reputation and others have real issues. With VW's isuues are mainly things like window regulators it seems, as many windows just drop out. Accords have a great reputation but a guy in my office bought a new 98 and it seems like it's always in the shop for something. I've had my GLS VR6 for a little over a year and 24,000 miles and had virtually no problems, just a squeaky seat and a broken lower control arm, both fixed. Peronality-wise there's no comparison between the two cars, so you either want a European make or a Japanese car. The VR6 is smooth. There's a great link to some techinical information about the VR6 engine at my website, on the VR6 Page, at http://www.greg-jordan.com

Good luck and I hope you're happy with whatever you end up getting!

• gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    to tell you that I'd stick with a GLS instead of the GLX unless you just have to have the automatic climate comtrol and the power seats and the rain sensor.... To me just not worth the extra costs.
  • lkrolllkroll Member Posts: 8
    Overall, my VW experience has been good, BUT STAY FAR AWAY from Volkswagen of Woodland Hills. The service is poor and they don't care about ripping you off after the free service expires. I guess they got to get it back by jacking you afterwards.
  • markuliesmarkulies Member Posts: 12
    i'm mad that tazereli on post #979 would

1. consider a subaru AND
    2. call the jetta a "chick car"...

ok maybe the forrester is okay, but bro, the jetta is far from a chick car...

go to bed
  • jumponinjumponin Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the hp/torque for a 1993 TD? Also if anyone has any input on the diesels it would be greatly appreciated, thanks. The one i am looking at has 200 000 mi. but is in great shape, new glow plugs, fuel filter, timing belt, muffler, tires, and other parts on the engine. It has a power roof, 8 speaker casette, and cruise, the person is asking 2900 american, good deal?

josh
    looking to buy a '93 TD.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    Seems to me that people are mad that I would compare a Subaru to a VeeDub. I do this with a great love for VW in my heart. Having had 5 classic VW's in my family over the 27 years I've been on this sad planet (2 beetles, 2 bus, 1 Karmann Ghia) I can say that I have much affection for the car company. I cant wait till my father's Karmann Ghia is mine once and for all. I am only suggesting that the WRX is well worth looking into and will be a DIRECT competitor for the Jetta GLX/GLS 1.8T. I am sorry that some people can not stand it when another car is suggested over the one that they own. And yes I see WAY more women driving jettas than men. So that in my mind is a car with a female slant to it. The WRX is very special and you will not see one on every street corner, every day of the week like a Jetta. I preach Subie b/c they were also in our family for a long time (15 years). Another .02 from me to you. I do love debate so please try to win me over with the merits of your cars over the WRX. One last thing, I am only talking about the Jetta Sedan/Wagon v. WRX Sedan/Wagon not Subaru's other models unless we talk of lesser Jettas and lesser Impreza's
    Tazereli:

There is no comparison between the WRX and the Jetta 1.8T. The Jetta chipped is just as fast, $4,000 cheaper, and is not incredibly ugly like the WRX. Also, there are many performance parts available for the Jetta - nothing for the WRX.

The only thing the Jetta lacks is AWD (which is OK, but adds weight and complexity). Compare the resale value of a VW vs a Subaru too!

Mark
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I agree with Tazereli. Jetta 1.8T/VR6 do compete withe WRX. I own Jetta VR6 and Impreza Wagon, so I guess I can say something about it. From a quality point of view, these two cars are no match. Jetta is known for its class-leading quality in both exterior and interior and Impreza is known for cheap looking interior. VR6 is superve in many respects. Especially, the engine, which is specially designed to fit into the small engine space, can provide something other cars cannot. There is no other cars with this compact size, yet offers nice V6! 1.8T is also known for its excellent low-rpm range power output. Handling of Jetta is also a strong point. I really love it on highways, towns, and twisty roads. Even if WRX comes out to the market, VR6/1.8T still have an edge in terms of everydays commutation, in which we use 1000-4000 rpm range for more than 90% of the time. No matter how hard Subaru tried, it can not hide the nature of WRX, which is desinged for WRC where people sedomly use below 5000 rpm.

On the other hand, it is no doubt that WRX can provide us something no other cars, including VW, can provide. You may be able to tweak 1.8T to get more power, but remember, normal production models of WRX in Asia/Europe produces 280+ horse powers and the same engine is used for WRC in which I don't know how much power is produced. Clearly, WRX's root in WRC is something special and we are fortunate to be able to experience a part of it (WRC is the only world championship which is based on 'REAL' production models).

In a circuit, I am not sure even premium cars like BMW330 and Audi S4 can beat the $24K WRX. Some reviews already reported 0-60 for 5.5s. Of course, accerelation is just a small part of a car. Still, if I am buying a car, I would be in serious problem to decide VR6/1.8T vs WRX. VW can make everyday's commutation enjoyable and relaxed. WRX gives me a lot of excitement. These two cars live in different places and no direct comparison may be irrelevant but for those who are buying a car, it is highly likely they are compared. Which is better is not a good question, but the question is, which motor life you would choose.

One final note: When I am driving VR6, I always feel that I am on the way to buying BMW330 someday and VR6 is a 'poor man's 330'. Everytime I see BMW329/330, I envy it. If I had WRX, I guess I could forget it because I would be in a totally different leage (and I can beat 330 :))
    I too considered the WRX. I could not get past 1) the WRX's looks, and 2) the price difference.

Mark
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    When it comes time to buy a car, I will consider the WRX and the Jetta. I currently own a Subaru and really like it. IMO, if you want a car that will last as long as you want it to (and take care of it...) and a car that will take you ALMOST anywhere you want to go, get a Subaru. Please note, this is not in any way a shot at VW.

One of the reasons why I am interested in the Jetta, is that it's not as bland as my Legacy sedan. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but a little more spice would be nice. If Subaru wants to combine what I love about my car right now and add some spice to it, I'm willing to listen. I'd be crazy not to. At the same time, if I'm someone who is looking for a car in that price range (and don't have a grudge against Subaru, like it seems mellis does...) then why not check it out? If your investing that kind of money, explore all your options.
    I have no grudge against Suburu? Like I said I considered the WRX. But it is ugly IMO and alot more money. I did check it out.

Mark
  • macpacemacpace Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Jetta, and I am hearing alot of wind noise out of both the passenger and the driver windows. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they say they don't hear anything. Has anyone else had this problem or is there a sure fix for this. The next time I go to the dealer I'm gonna tie someone up and put them in the trunk
  • cathyn3cathyn3 Member Posts: 2
    My new 2001 has tan (velour?) interior. It is a linty mess! Someone stopped me on the road to ask if I had this problem too.
    I tried to clean it with a vacuum and a lint brush, and the black lint is still covering anything. I never fabric protected the seats, and am trying to get all the lint off before I do.
    A minor problem, but my new car looks filthy.
    Any ideas?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I know how you feel.......I have a 2001 Jetta GLS with a black interior. I have blond hair and it sticks to everything and then there is white lint and cat hair (no, I don't let the cats in the car) all over the seats. I vacuumed it today but it didn't do much good. I have given up for now, the car will be professionally detailed in the spring on Penske Automotive's dime since they got grease all over the headliner. Other than carrying one of those lint removers I don't know what else to do. Guess I will just deal with it since we are selling the car in October. I had the same problem with my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, never did figure out how to keep stuff from sticking to the seats and I tried everything.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Sorry to say the obvious, but GET LEATHER!! I never owned a car with leather until now. And I'll never go back!
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I wanted leather in my Jetta but money was the deciding factor on that. The Nissan Quest I traded in had leather and I loved it. I miss my leather seats.