Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    Sorry to accuse you of having a grudge, but for a minute there I really thought you did. I thought you were one of those guys in the CRV vs. Forester site. Those guys sure are passionate about their cars. Subaru has had some kinky styling...remember the Brat...Yuck!

Does anyone know if the Jetta's 1.8T is going up to 170hp like the Audi's and the New Passat's did, next year? If so, I wonder what they're going to do with the VR6? One can only dream.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    If I am not mistaken, I thought VW already introduced new VR6 with a twincam head (200 hp) in Europe and Asia. You can also choose AWD.
  • lnav2121lnav2121 Member Posts: 12
    I bought my jetta about 3 weeks ago. I love it to death.. so sweet and perfect.. pkay enough of the mussiness. But I'm having an issues ALREADY. I brought it in about a week ago because i heard grinding when I would turn. They told me it was a loose strut and tightened it..ahhhhh I was so happy, just something little. But then 4 days ago heard the same noise again, brought it back and they tell me that my NEW car would have to stay in over the weekend, they need to put a whole new strut in. Granted they gave me a loaner.. a jetta also.. but that still dosen't help the fact that my car is in the shop. Just thought I'd share my pains and see if anyone else had these issues.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    Happens to all automakers. Bad luck (as I'm sure you agree.) :^)

My gripe is - why didn't they find it before you got it? Nobody checked the front end at the factory? The dealer just puts them out without looking? The service tech didn't see anything wrong with the strut the first visit? The answer is yes, of course, to all questions. I think the auto makers need to do better to insulate the customer from quality problems.

Great car, however. Good luck with it.
  • patty21patty21 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Jetta just three months ago and last Thursday the car died on me while I was driving home in a snow storm. Just my luck! The dealership tells me that they must put a new transmission in it. It is obviously covered under warranty, but I am not sure that I even want the car any more. I am concerned that I may have continued problems down the road. I feel like telling them to keep it and then go get another type of car. Any suggestions?
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    Get a Subaru. As reliable as any other Japanese make and twice as fun. the 2002 impreza comes standard with a 2.5L engine that makes VW's 2.0 seem like a Geo motor. If you do decide on another Jetta do yourself a favor and avoid the 2.0 engine. It is severly underpowered (115 hp) and too old of technology. Get the 1.8T or the vr6.
  • lnav2121lnav2121 Member Posts: 12
    thanks for your concerns. I agree with you 100%. I love my car and I don't understand why they didn't see the problem the first time around. I know that the second time i can back they didn't want to take any chances of just tightening it again and me coming back again.. third times a charm and a chance for lemon law i'm guessing.
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    I am getting ready to lease a new car. I have had 2 Camrys for the past 9 years and I am ready for a change. I just want to know if you people are really happy with your Jettas? I want a realible car. Are you happy with the 2001 GLS 1.8LT? Thanks.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I have had my Jetta for 20 days now and have put 2100 miles on it. I haven't had one bit of trouble with it, I love it. Mine is a 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T 5-speed. I have been getting 26 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway. Its a blast to drive and so far has been extremely reliable. I live in Alaska and the cold temperatures take a toll on a vehicle but so far the Jetta has been great. I have owned both american and japanese vehicles before and none have been as good as my Jettas. This is my second Jetta, I used to own a 1994 Jetta GL. Good luck.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    For those of you wondering about Jetta quality, and for those Subaru fans pooh-poohing VW, here are my observations:

2000 GLS 1.8T, loaded. Perfect car!! Most fun I've ever had driving (even more than my old RX-7)!! Two things have gone wrong. 1) A leaky valve core - dlr replaced valve core and stem. 2) Stuck cupholder in rear - dlr unjammed, said use very light touch when opening (those German overengineer everything)!! Is that enough? No bad tranny, no bad O2 sensor, no failed pwr accessories, no NOTHIN'! I LOVE THIS CAR...

I used to own a 2000 GLS w/the 2.0 (it crashed and died - no human injuries). Why do people bad mouth this engine?

"It is severely underpowered (115 hp) and too old of technology."

Check the torque, 122 at a low 2600 rpm - NO Japanese car has that much usable torque down that low. Translates into better zip than more hp at higher rpm. So what if 2-valve/cylinder technology has been around for a while. It's a bulletproof design that will last for 300,000 miles if cared for properly. An enginve full of valves and new technology doesn't make it better!
  • mad11mad11 Member Posts: 2
    Has any one had any problems with their coolant light coming on frequently with no apparent cause?
  • osucloneosuclone Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I'm considering the 2001 Wolfsberg Jetta. I love the 10/100,000 powertrain warranty, but I'm looking to up the bumper to bumper. The salesman said VW is offering a bumper to bumper extended warranty to 7/100,000 (not sure on the years, but positive on the mileage). Does this sound like a good deal? Also: The WE I'm looking at is 21,800. I'm going to try to buy it for 21,500 or so WITH the extra warranty and the CD player installed. I've seen people getting the WE with all options for 20,500 or so. What are your thoughts on this as well. I'm also considering the WRX and Accord Coupe. I loved the feel of the Jetta, but haven't tried the new Subaru yet (obviously).
    Sorry. The extended warranty is going for $1000
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    to drive the WRX is to love it! It is in a totally different league than any Jetta. This is not a slam to the Jetta at all. The WRX is a street acceptable rally car complete w/AWD, etc. The acceleration and handling figures are awesome. The WRX is one of those special vehicles that only comes around so often. Once again this is not to denegrade the Jetta, it's a great car in its own right.

Stephen
  • jetta143jetta143 Member Posts: 16
    I purchased the extended warranty (4 years/50,000miles) with my Wolfsburg for $740. i highly recommend it, because 2 years just isn't long enough.

Tyler
  • driver55driver55 Member Posts: 10
    Thought this might provide some visibility on B-to-B warrantees as well as your likelihood of getting your WE at your price.
    Regarding the warrantee, I just got an extended 5/60 B-to-B warrantee on my Passat for $767. Keep in mind, it is more car (no slight on the Jetta), so one should expect to pay slightly more for a Passat warrantee, but I doubt much more. If it is a 7/100, I would be a bit skeptical on the yr/mileage ratio. 12k per year is typically the standard, so what happened? In fact, 12k/yr is conservative in terms of actual miles driven these days, but it is accepted in the "warrantee world." I would keep the 12k/yr ratio in mind, then calculate the life (and therefore, value) of the warrantee based on the smaller number. Example, for the 7/100, I would value it the same as a 7/84. For a 7/60, I would value it the same as 5/60. Of course these aren't absolutes, but it will help you keep from overpaying for the warrantee.
    Regarding the $21,500 price: Is the dealer asking $390 for the CD player? They did here. A blatant gouge, but what are you going to do? Anyway, I got it for $290 (which doesn't make me feel like dancing, but I would have gone without one before paying $390 for a simple motor, laser and a few wires in a 5"x6" box). So if you know that people have bought the same color car (dealer flexibility changes with demand), with the same options, for $20,500, then $21,790 is certainly in the ball park for your car and target price. It wouldn't hurt to go in (let them run your credit if it's good so they know you are in a position to buy), refer to the sticker price ($21,500) and and say, "I'll take it at that price today, but the car has got to have the x/xx warrantee and a CD player or it's just not a smart purchase for me." You already know you are close. Whether they kick it around before saying No, or just go straight to "No", the only way you're going to know whether or not it's do-able is to walk. Politely ask for one of their cards, write the car/color/options/warr/CD on the back with your phone number and say, "Fair enough. Give me a call if you change your mind." and walk. If they don't call you within a week, then it's too low. Come back with a new sales guy and start again.
    And don't feel you have to come in with your tail between your legs. I think that having a confident idea of their approximate bottom-line price is useful, and it certainly answers your original question. If you're not at risk of losing an already great car deal on the car you want in the next week and aren't in a hurry (which isn't a good state of mind to buy a car anyway), then this path isn't so unreasonable.
    Finally, if you go to a dealer that is known for moving inventory quickly, they are probably in a better position to take less profit per car...doesn't mean they will, but it was clearly the case in my last experience.

Sorry for the novel.
    hope it helps.
    Thanks for the info. Believe me, I have been researching and waiting for a long time. I am patient. I have a car that is paid for now and runs okay (Cavalier-what was I thinking in 1996??). I'm willing to bet that the WE is pretty hot right now, but its seems like car sales have been down a bit, and it looks like there may be some lean days ahead for the automakers. I'll be patient and give your advice a try when I'm ready to make an offer. The way I see it, I'm in a good position unless the tranny or head gasket go in the cav. again. What a mess.... I'm ready for some refinement and quality... Thanks for the reply.
  • fpdoc1fpdoc1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone point me to pictures or any various and sundry information about the new Jetta Convertible that's due to replace the Cabrio later this year.

I would love to see or hear what others have heard so far...

Regards from a dedicated Cabrio owner.
  • njjettaownernjjettaowner Member Posts: 17
    THIS GOES OUT TO ALL DEALERS Iam looking for a blue lagoon jetta fully loaded with the PZASports- Luxury Pakage the PLA leather,The PMC NE Emisions the RSM monsoon am fm cassete and a spoiler Grey leather 17 sports rims come with the sport-lux for your 23000 or b/0 thanks i am serrious i want this car. look at my name iam jumping the gun a bit
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    You need to specify an engine...all of the above
    available with both the 1.8T & VR6....
  • atlas3atlas3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jetta lovers. My wife has a 2001 VR6 AT fully loaded, and I take any chance I get to drive it. That thing is much better than my curretn vehicle, a 98 Suzuki Sidekick. Anyway, I have noticed a whining noise between 25 and 40 mph. I suspect it's the transmission. The dealer said he called VW headquarters and was told all V6's whine between that speed and that and there was nothing they could do about it. I don't buy it. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this sort of noise.
  • ggeckoiiiggeckoiii Member Posts: 17
    I heard dealers mark warranties up 100%+ from cost and saw this: http://www.cbues.com/vw/warranty/0-6m_high.jpg

I wonder if I had this in my hand I could get them down to a 25% mark up?

• gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    There's a couple of main stories about this. One is that the whine is normal. Two is that it's a defect and your dealer will repair it as it's a "known problem" at VW.

My VR6 auto has had it ever since I bought it. After reading comments here and on the Vortex I finally took it to the dealer and reported it. The dealer said it was operating within specifications and nothing was wrong.

So now it's been officially noted that I reported it should anything happen in the future. The transmission has operated flawlessly over 24,000 miles now and the whine doesn't bother me as long as it's not indicative of some future major failure, which evidently it is not.
    Its a VR6
    Don't know what exit you are, but if you go VW.COM
    and *Locate a Dealer*...put in the radius that you are willing to travel. Once these Dealers come up; email the Internet Sales Manager with your Specs & Offer...this should be a no brainer
    for the VW Dealers in Jersey that you select...
    if you are looking for a 5 Speed...An Automatic at your price might be tough, but who knows????

Good Luck from Essex Fells and Sea Girt....
  • hcornerhcorner Member Posts: 24
    >I just forwarded a letter to you that I sent to another Town Hall member who is putting together a Jetta Owners web site...maybe he can cut & paste it into it, but, personally, I think it is too long to post here...what do you think???

Thanks for the email and I don't think it's too long to post here, just make it a two parter. I would like to comment but will wait until you post and others can see.
  • pikerrpikerr Member Posts: 2
    I live in Guatemala and I'm about to buy a Jetta. What is your opinion about this two models 1.8T and 2.0 automatic?.
    What about the motor noise in the cabin? and the velour interiors seats ?I. have been told that this car runs like a plane, is that true?
  • atlas3atlas3 Member Posts: 2
    I think the Passat uses the same or a similar engine. I find it hard to believe that it is acceptable for a $30,000 car to have a whining noise at lower speeds, considering that this is probably the most common speed while driving through the city. I think I'm going to test drive some other Jetta's. The battle is not over!
    Well I got the car it is being driven in 200 miles from PA to Lyndhurst NJ blue lagoon automatic vr6 sport-luxury,leather,spoiler I will finally have a true Town Hall name I have learned alot here. I got it for 23500 but it has no monsoon but I think I read here the stock is not bad at all. The exit I live off of is 15w on the NJ Turnpike and 140 is on the Garden State Parkway pol
  • xjs5xjs5 Member Posts: 33
    I want to buy a Jetta but I am worried about the reliablity. I have $10,000 to put down. Should I buy an Echo or a Jetta?
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    The 2 cars are in totally different ways of how they do their thing first of all. I have read in one of the major auto mags that the Echo has a problem with crosswinds on the road due to it's tall profile and lightweight. A New Beetle would weight about 500+ or more lbs & a Jetta probably 700+ lbs. My new Jetta has been subjected to heavy winter X-winds already with minimal control force needed to keep in line. Besides, please take both cars for a serious test drive to really see the difference...Good Luck!
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I drove 3600 miles in a 2.0 Jetta (it was totaled in an accident). The noise in the cabin was very tolerable - very competitive with other four cylinder sendan in its class. I replaced it with a 1.8T and the noise is even less, despite the smaller displacement. RPMs at 80 mph is about 300-400 less in the 1.8T. Good luck, and let us know what buying a car in Guatemala is like.
  • kromkampkromkamp Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering what is a quieter ride, the Turbo or the V6 (I expect the V6...)
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    I test drove the vr6's before i ended up with my wolfie, and if i remember right the vr6's are definately "louder" although it is a fairly pleasing sound, if i have my radio on at all in my WE i cannot hear the engine until 4K RMPS.
  • drmike2drmike2 Member Posts: 5
    I hadn't checked in for a few days, so I just saw your post now. I was in an almost identical situation. Owned (still own) two Camrys -- '90 and '95. Great cars -- efficient and reliable. But I was bored. Bought a 2000 Jetta 1.8T last summer and am having a ball! The responsiveness and "fun factor" are in a different league. Go for it! You won't regret it.
    Well so much for them pick up my car like they promised I have never got the run around like this before, So Iam going to take back my deposit tommorow This dealership has constantly said they would call me back after I called then never did one to many times. Tell me what you think they found the car and one salesman says the deal is done and he going to get the car the next day. low and be hold I call for status the next day the same salesman answer the phone I. say hey what are you doing there oh blah blah blah blah one exuse after another .its now friday and no car, tommorow is Sat the day i was promised the car and now I wait so more ......SO WHAT SHOULD I DO TAKE MY MONEY AND START OVER AGAIN. Now the sad think is I was at another dealer and he was real nice. but to far for getting the car serviced. Well i might go back to him and refine my search Unless some dealer reading this wants my bussiness!!!!!!!!
    Maybe they didn't understand you...
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    You need to CALMLY go down to your dealer and speak CALMLY with the sales manager about your frustrations.

Warning: Do not drink a lot of coffee before going down there. Be firm. It's your money. But, be calm. Let them know that you're considering another dealer.

Lastly, be calm. And if they speak of a longer wait, ask for a loaner for your troubles until you get your car.

You need to reduce your conversations to ONLY your salesperson or the sales manager. The other sales people could give a rat's butt about you. Car salespeople are EXTREMELY competitive and they sometimes do nasty things to compromise another salesperson's deals, so quit talking to anyone else.

Did I mention to be calm? ;-) Seriously though, try it. If that doesn't work then tell them to screw off, get your money back and go to the other dealer. The drive might be worth it.

Good luck.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    Tranny whine is normal in any car. The lack of tranny whine is due to gears teeth cut in a helix pattern, however this is slightly less efficient. A more efficient gear-driven transmission, with a lesser amount of "helix-ness" tends to whine louder. In the extreme case, the most efficient transmission, which has straight-cut gears, whines the loudest.

Of course excessive whine is annoying, therefore most cars have helical gears with some amount of "helix-ness". But the only goal of eliminating transmission whine by using helical gears is quietness, as opposed to durability or performance. Whining is therefore normal.

Now, if our transmission is wearing out, a good clue is to notice large amounts of metal shavings in the transmission fluid. On the same token, most new transmissions release some shavings during the break-in period, but after that the amount is hardly noticeable or non-existent.
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    I will have to agree with BlueJetta. Keep cool @ your dealer and don't make a scene after all they might be your servicing store. When you go in there tell them that you want another $500 off the negotiated price for the run around and BSing or delay and that if they can't actually get your car, find out. If they hem n haw then say you want your deposit back to explore your options. They might beg to keep your business, if so, then say the price will be reduced. My local dealer was back and forth for my car and price was their stickling point. Read about that deal on dealer experience discussions. Good luck ! !
  • kfricemankfriceman Member Posts: 17
    I just heard from a dealer that the late 01 or 02 models available in May or June are coming with new HP figures of 205. Anyone know anything about this? They also said the V8 will be coming available for the Passat.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    When I traveled to Japan in the last January, I remember that VW was announcing the introduction of new VR6 + AWD (VR5 was the top of the line in Japan and, I believe, also in Europe), which had a twincam head and produced 200 HP. A reviewer was reporting that it was extremely good. I think this cas should make its way to US someday. Being a VR6 owner, I have a mixed feeling...
    Well, I did it. I ordered my new Jetta GLS 1.8 in Silver with Gray Leather. I hope I get it this way. Dealer said they would look today. I haven't heard from them yet. Oh, well, I hope everything turns out OK with this car. Will inform of outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    dealer called - no silver out there. I was expecting this. Now what? We'll see. I better like another color thou.
  • jst5jst5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 Ford Ranger and get lower back pain after driving it for more than a couple hours straight. I was thinking of getting rid of it and getting a Jetta GLS TDI. I test drove a Jetta with leather, but noticed some uncomfortable lumpiness. How is leather comfort vs. the velour? Overall comfort over the long haul? Any thoughts on Jetta seat comfort would be appreciated.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I have a 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T with velour seats, I find the car very comfortable to drive. I have taken it on a 5 hour drive with no pain. I too have problems with my lower back and hip in some vehicles, like the 94 S-10 Blazer that I used to own and the 99 Nissan Quest SE that I traded in on the Jetta, both of those vehicles had leather seats. If for some reason my back is bothering me when I get into the Jetta I just turn on the heated seats and all is good. Good luck.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • fturnerfturner Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously looking at getting a Jetta. What are the relative pros and cons of the 1.8T v. the TDI. I've already driven the 2.0 and the 1.8t but not yet the TDI. Thanks for the help!
  • cathyn3cathyn3 Member Posts: 2
    I will ask again as my car is dirtier by the minute.
    Other than buying leather (obviously, but thanks), does
    anyone have a real solution to getting large
    amounts of lint off the Jetta seats? Vacuuming and
    lint brushes aren't working.
    Thanks!
  • sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    all that Angora!

But seriously, we have this same problem with puppy hair in our Caravan. How that puppy drives the Caravan I'll never know...

My wife found something called a "Lint Eraser" that looks like a mustard-colored brick, but it's spongy and rubbery, and darned if it doesn't pick the stuff right up. Can't swear to it, but I think she got it at Home Depot!

Best of luck,
    Mark

P.S.: The leather thing is probably an easier solution!!!
    Mark