Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Funny. :) My co-worker has an S4, I think it's a 2001 model. He likes it alot, bought it after trading in his Acura Integra GS-R.
    Anyone get a letter in the mail yet from VW about replacing the coilpacks? I got TWO of them in the mail yesterday, for some reason. Maybe they're sending one for each coil? :)

Anyway, from what I got from the letter, it says they will replace the coils IF they go out, but not voluntarily. I may not have read it closely enough, but that's what I got from it. I will take a look at it tonight when I get home, and won't be as tired as I was last night. :)
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    no letter yet. i have a feeling my next round of coils will fail before i get any letter...

an A8 NOT a luxury car? gotta disagree. i would take an A8 over a 7 series or S class anyday. traction, performance in spades, aluminum bodywork, and a general sleeper mentality. i will never be the person that drives a 7 or S. i don't like gold chains and pinky rings. kidding!!!!

and yes, my car makes more noise in the winter. i don't think i will be in the Jetta board much longer. i have the "bug" - can't stop thinking about top-down spring/summer fun!
    I don't know, with all this snow we've been getting lately, a front-drive car with traction control seems to be a better idea than a rear-drive one without. I don't know why you got another Jetta in the first place, you wanted the Miata anyway. Funny, you are hurting to go to a Mazda from a VW, and I was the opposite over a year ago...

I don't think the new coils will be going either, they are better ones from a different manufacturer. I had only lost one coil, and everything's been fine for about 7K miles now. (I shouldn't say that, I am only cursing myself...)

Also, he said ONLY the A8 was considered a luxury car in the Audi lineup. I personally couldn't see the A4 being worth $3000+ more than a Jetta (to me anyway), so that's why I got the VW instead of the Audi.
    okay. i tend to agree - yes the A4 has more style, more sophisticated suspension, and AWD, but it also has coils problems and no back seat, just like my car.

the ONLY car i would be seen in, in the 3 series/A4/C class price range, would be an S60 2.4 LT. gorgeous, inside and out! sure, it has some issues, like small back seat, and the typical european electronics bugs, but it sure is pretty. and not pretentious! plus, it was the last real and true Volvo that is actually a Volvo instead of a Ford. it will be worth money one day, haha!
    An S60? They just came out for 2001, weren't they designed between Ford and Volvo? Not sure, that's why I am asking.

I will more than likely rent one of those tomorrow while my car's in the shop being repaired from being vandalized. I will let you know how I like it if I decide to rent one.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Don't forget Jaguar
    nope, the last real Volvo project. contrary to what you have heard.

DO NOT RENT the base model, 5 cylinder. it is not much better than our cars. you have to get the mid-line model. the Light Pressure turbo. or the T-5 if you are feeling like a little torque steer :)

vandalized? what did they do?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'll take a new S4, you take a new M3, and I'll race you in the snow, mud, or sand. Your choice. ;)

LOL...I'll stick to racing on paved, dry streets thanks. ;)

an A8 NOT a luxury car? gotta disagree. i would take an A8 over a 7 series or S class anyday. traction, performance in spades, aluminum bodywork, and a general sleeper mentality. i will never be the person that drives a 7 or S. i don't like gold chains and pinky rings. kidding!!!!

Justin, you ever drive a 7 series? It's a near religious experience. Piloting an 03 7 series topped my experience behind the wheel of a 911. All the fun and power of that Porchse mixed with room for 3 more and every neato gizmo on earth. God only knows how much upkeep on one of those will be when it's out of warranty. Yikes.

BTW, enjoy your Miata. I too have that itch. I sway back and forth over my next move...G35, Miata, unknown quantity. I want something fun and RWD this time. Still sad my VW's been such a headache because I really do like so many things about the car. Sigh...
    try changing a headlight bulb on the G35c. It's not fun
    if i get my way, i will keep the Jetta (too cheap to get rid of, it it runs right) and get a used Miata with the proceeds from my home sale.

also - newsflash everyone:

i got TWO letters today from VW. is it because i had two seperate coil failures?
    I got none...

my TDI has no coils

can I get a cookie?
  • shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    I'm going to weigh in on the shifter question from a few posts back.

My first car was as '68 Pontiac GTO with a Hurst shifter. I went to a late-70s Trans Am with a similar transmission. They were great fun to shift. Then I went with a motorcycle.

After that, I bought a van and and sedan with automatic transmissions and didn't even try to drive them with any enthusiasm. They were just to transport things.

When I went car shopping three years ago, I wanted fun. I wouldn't even consider an automatic. The Audi A4 with quattro and the 1.8T was my first choice, but I had to replace my wife's car also, and couldn't afford the Audi. So I decided on the Jetta with the stick shift and bought two.

The point of this is that if you like the Jetta instead of the Accord or Camry, it's because of that whole driver's-car enthusiast thing. It's counterproductive to saddle a sporty car with an automatic. It would be like dating a supermodel for her looks, but dressing her like Bozo the Clown!
    try changing a headlight bulb on the G35c. It's not fun

I've been driving for 18 years and I've never changed a lightbulb on any car. It's not really a concern for me. If it does need to get done...I'll handle my business.

BTW, I'm imagining Elle Machperson dressed as clown...I could still deal with that.
    I've done that 2 weeks ago...next I'm letting a shop tear down the wheel well liners.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Pros and cons other than the 3k price difference when loaded? I did a search but didn't come up with much. Also saw a 2001 cpo glx w/ 15k miles for $21,900, and that is a consideration as well.

Anyone compare the mazda6 and the jetta?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i think that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard..

luxury means price range/features of a car... FWD is not a true sports car.. i agree with that.
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    1. If you have someone in your car to run the stop watch for your flight to 60, wouldn't the timer add to the weight of the car? Don't know, just a thought, of which I haven't had too many of.

2. My memory is shaky here, but didn't a govn't agency (?) define a luxury car at a certain amount and the buyer had to pay a luxury tax? Does this ring a bell with any of you?

3. I got the letter from VW today.
    I own a 2002 1.8T Tiptronic Jetta, and drove both the 6i and 6s models with automatic. What I thought:

Interior: VW's materials are definitely better, but only slightly. There are certain little touches that I've gotted used to that the 6 doesn't have, like a center sunvisor, auto door locks, and auto up/down front windows. The silver interior trim on the dash makes the stereo and climate controls hard to see in sunlight a little. I also would have to get used to the climate/radio displays being away from the actual units. The back seat is bigger in the 6, but not as big as I thought it would be. I was able to "sit behind myself" in the 6 though, something I wouldn't be able to do in the Jetta. Folding the rear seats in the 6 is also easier than in the Jetta, thanks to the spring-loaded trunk seat release system.

Performance: I drove the V6/automatic 6, and it felt slower than the 1.8T, but the T has brute power that you pretty much "unleash" when flooring the pedal. So the real-world acceleration numbers might be close, but the Jetta 1.8T "feels" alot faster.

Handling: No question, the 6 handles better than the Jetta, stock. The cornering was flat in both models without the lean that the Jetta experiences sometimes.

Overall: I prefer the Jetta, but this may be because I have driven it for over a year, compared to just about 10 miles in both 6 models that I test drove. Your results may vary. :)
    My memory is shaky here, but didn't a govn't agency (?) define a luxury car at a certain amount and the buyer had to pay a luxury tax? Does this ring a bell with any of you?

It's somewhere in the mid to upper 30s now as it creeps up with each year. Like 10 years ago I think it was 30k. Today with SUVs and Accords costing nearly 30k it'd be sorta outrageous for the gov't to insist spending 30k equals buying a luxury car.

Vocus, we had pretty much the same reaction to the Mazda 6. I wanted to like it and buy it. But it just didn't excite me enough...
    Hey blueguy,
    You told me how to use the bold, italics, & etc.,features, but haven't been able to figure it out, or how to use it. Do you mind giving it to me again? Maybe, with and example, if that's possible? Also, what do all the letters like, lol, btw, & others mean?
    Thanks,
    :-)
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    Is just a butt-ugly car, its kind of like a Maxima, the rear-end design ruins the entire look of the car...

My friend just got an S80 (new 2002) for $10k under sticker (around $30k). Its a comfortable and safe car, but for that money I would have gotten a Passat GLX and put like $3k in my pocket
    The S80s are so low priced because they aren't selling in this day and time. I know they also had a bad reliablilty rap (especially for transmissions), so I guess that doesn't help either.

I know they're are some great deals on Volvo S40s floating around too (saw one around here for $20,500 that MSRPed for $25,000 or so).
    Vocus,
    I tried to reach your address but message I got was, something like, "results not found",. I probably did something wrong. Let me know what I did. Thanks for the prompt reply, though.
    Cards28
    The message you got was "I am out of the office". :) That's my work address, and I am out until Monday so I set that to be sent back to anyone who emails me. The email is still there though. I will check it later and reply. :)
  • target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    "Totally agree with you. I drive nearly 30K miles yearly, and am not about to pay more than $20-25K for a car that I will more than likely have to replace by the time the payment book's done."

I don't think I will have to replace my car for at least ten years.
  • sntxsntx Member Posts: 33
    I totally agree with you Shawn. Jettas with slush boxs are an abomination. A super model dressed as a clown I could deal with.

The center "sunvisor" is not sunvisor. Its function is to reduce glare on the reaview mirror when the dome or map lights are on. Although I can see how you could use it a sunvisor if you are tall.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    the GLX models with the dimming review mirror (oh how I miss that!) so when you turn on the map lights, the light from that doesn't dim the rearview mirror.
    That is a center sunvisor, meant to block the sun when it comes in over the rearview mirror. That's how I use mine though, and it's something I have grown very accustomed to. :)

I am 6'3 though, so that might have something to do with its function as a sunvisor to me... :)
    HTML coding.

<letter> text </letter>

b= bold
    i= italics
    u= underline
  • 02jetta2002jetta20 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anybody in here who has a MkIV has gotten an alignment... if so, were the front wheels adjusted to the thrust line of the rear wheels or the vehicle center line? I know the rears aren't adjustable, but I've been having some trouble finding a place that can do a "four wheel alignment" on my car. My fronts have been aligned but I still have a crooked steering wheel and some pulling to the right. Any suggestions?
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    So I went to a homeless shelter this weekend in downtown Worcester with a group of people to serve sandwiches, and when I got out, I found my window smashed and my cell phone gone. Naturally I was upset, and I found out the hard way that Saturday is not a good day to break a window. Driving around in Massachusetts in January with no drivers window is a rather chilling experience.

I went today to Settles Glass to get the window replaced (under insurance), and the guy had a really hard time getting to it. He said trying to get into it was "like trying to get into Fort Knox." When he finally did get everything apart, guess what he found? Thats right, a broken regulator. Luckily he was able to install the window and tape it up, and two hours after going in, I was able to leave and continue to the dealer.

Lucky for me, they had space for me with no appointment, and brought my car right in, so now I have two new metal regulators. I was worried they would figure out that the window had been smashed and try to say that they would not cover it because of that, but they either didnt notice or didnt care.

Now all I have to do is buy a new phone. Who knew they were so expensive without a plan? Yikes!
    But on the phone, it will probably just be cheaper if you renew your plan for a year so you don't have to pay that outrageous price for the phone.....
    Unfortunately, it was a brand new phone from a new carrier (T-Mobile), so the service agreement just started less than a month ago.
    Isn't T-Mobile used to be Voicestream?
  • target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    that sucks. But if your phone was in plain sight, you're asking for it (not that it's right).

Every time I see a phone, palm, or other expensive item in plain view in a vehicle, all I can think is that the owner has never had his/her vehicle broken into.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Doesn't your insurance cover that?
    You can still renew the plan for a year (maybe). I know you can with AT&T.

And with leaving stuff visible in the car, why do people do that? My friend complains when I tell him he has to put bags in the trunk when I park my car. I have never lost a window yet (knock on glass!) in 6 years of driving, and I live in Baltimore and park in DC regularly. I don't plan to anytime soon either.

With the regulator, it's possible that breaking the window caused the regulator to break as well. And VW door panels are not the hardest thing to take off. Sounds like the glass guy just didn't have alot of experience. I have seen them taken off in 3 mins. at GTGs.

Sorry for your misfortune. Good luck with replacing the phone! :)
    I was driving to work this morning, stuck in traffic. Moving along at about 25-30mph (speed limit is 55mph there). I decided to change lanes to try to get going a little (it's only a 2-lane road anyway, but the other lane always seems to go faster) so I check my mirror. I look back, in literally a split second, and this Saab is stopped dead in front of me. I floored the brake pedal as hard as I could. And next, nothing. I got stopped, about 2 inches away from the rear bumper of the car. It scared the hell outta me! Thanks VW, for great brakes!

That would have been my first at-fault accident too, and tomorrow will be 6 years that I have been driving. Thanks again, VW.
    I am usually careful about not leaving expensive stuff sitting in view like that. I always keep my phone in my pocket anyways, it doesn't do me much good in the car. I just forgot to grab it when I got out that day. You can be sure thats a mistake I won't be making again anytime soon.

On the upside, at least I am getting a nicer phone, the Motorola V60, which I kind of wanted when I signed up but didn't get.
    Too funny, I did the same thing this morning! I looked in the mirror, just knowing that the Civic behind me was going to end up in my trunk. It didn't though, thank God.

With the phone, your car ins. will cover a replacement. Ask them. I always put my phone in the ashtray hole in the console, but it's dark blue and small, so you can't really see it down there too well. Or else you could put it in the center armest.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Did the braking feel any different with your new 15-inch wheels and tires, or do you think the 17s that were on your Jetta until the other day would've made any difference in braking?

Meade
    It would have taken a wee bit longer to stop, the 17s have more unsprung weight/heavier.

That's why I was rockin the 12.3" Frozen/slotted rotors with Porterfield pads on my GTI. Stopped like a charm. :cool:

I know with verizon, you can renew your plan whenever you get a new phone so you don't have to pay that outrageous price.
    I don't know if it would have taken longer or not, it just happend so fast. Since I only had about 2 inches before hitting the car in front of me, I am glad I changed to the 15s two days ago. I don't feel a big difference between the two sets of tires though, but the steering doesn't feel as heavy as it did with the 17s.
    Just curious, why did you down size your tires? Wasn't it pretty expensive? The 17" tires have to much rubber on the road?

I got a email from Andy Kim about another GB for HRcupkit through VWvortex. What is a HRcupkit?
    H&R cupkit is sport springs and shocks together. I have heard about H&R struts bending, so be warned. Also, that person hasn't the best repoire (sp?) on Vortex either...

I downsized because I drive about 30K a year, and don't have $500 to replace a set of tires every year. Average 17" tire life is about 30-35K, while the 15s last about the same. But the 15s are only $65 or so each. :)
    My goodness, what do you do to put 30K miles/yr? You must replace your car, what, every 2 1/2 yrs or so. I wish you blue skies and green lights.

I have a small business that lets me work out of my house. My business miles aren't many. Most of my customers come to me and that really keeps my auto expenses way down. I'm going to ask my CPA if I can transfer the Jetta to the business. That way, I can write off some expense.

What has your connection been with Andy Kim and VWvortex?
    Just received an email from brookstone.com for an emergency kit which includes the Life Hammer among other "goodies" for just $30.
    Who is this guy and what group buy? Through what company?

H&R Cup Kit.... supposedly specialy matched shocks and springs. However, the shocks are made by sachs, which many people will argue aren't as good as Bilstein.

For about the same price, you can go with Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R race springs (or sport) depending on the drop you want.

- Anthony
    If you are looking for the best performance you can get, then you will want to drop the car as little as possible. The reasons are complex, and I dont even really understand them fully, but that is the truth of the matter. A Shine suspension is just about the best you can get in terms of performance, and has very little drop.