Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    The diesel is appealing......but. My dad wants to get a deisel bad. He wanted to get a MB E300, but they don't sell those in the states anymore.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Don't wanna hear it! I paid $1.72 a gallon for 89 octane this morning! Regular was $1.59, if I remember correctly. This was in Baltimore city. It's about .10 more a gallon, on average, the closer to DC you go (where I work, for example, which is about 10 miles from DC). I saw premium at $2.06 a gallon a few weeks ago in DC...

Cry me a river, people...
    http://www.fueltracker.com/benchmark.html

Tuesday, 10:30 AM February, 25, 2003 - Hundreds of stations charging $2 or more for regular unleaded.

Today, UCAN published the results of its weekly survey of gasoline stations in San Diego County. The study shows an average price of $1.95.1 per gallon of regular unleaded inside the city of San Diego, and a county-wide average of $1.92.4 at UCAN's fueltracker Web site. For the first time since 1996, more than 100 gasoline stations are priced above $2 per gallon. Of those stations actively open and selling gasoline, about 22%, or nearly 1/4, are charging $1.99.9 per gallon or more. UCAN is extremely skeptical of industry arguments of increased costs contributing to the high cost of gasoline.

I paid $2.17 the other night for 91 octane.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Standard gas prices aren't much lower than $1.75 a gallon in CA anyway, so you all aren't suffering as much as some others are. I wish they would just go to war or something, so this gas price gouging can stop.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Gas prices are being discussed in News & Views, the recent lengthy conversation about the snow should have taken place in the "anything goes" Meet the Members topic in the Owners Club and now we will try to get back to our regularly scheduled topic, the Volkswagen Jetta!!

anybody had any coil failures or replacements lately?

:-) :-)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    My Golf TDI is averaging 42mpg on $1.54/gallon diesel. There is no activity in the Golf section so I have to hang out here. Does anyone regret buying a 1.8T instead of a TDI?

Coilpack failures? Thankfully I don't have to ever worry about coilpack on my TDI.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    My salesman called today to tell me my long-awaited JETTA TDI has arrived at port. (TDIs built in Germany?)

WIth the fuel prices going up (AND NEVER TO COME DOWN AGAIN) the USA is going to be like the rest of the world. Much of Europe has 'discovered' that diesels are much cheaper to run. (and are better for the envrionment)

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/peebs4u2/restareas.jpg
  • wellokaywellokay Member Posts: 15
    Okay - I know this may sound like a lame, OMG question, but how do you remove the floor mats!??
    Mine are stuck on fairly tight (front and back) and I just envision ripping a hole in the carpet. Any tricks?

Also, does anyone have a discoloration problem on the black door molding - where one would place their arm if the window was down (or up). Mine shows some orange coloring - I thought at first is was just dirt or whatever from delivery, but water doesn't remove it.

thanks -
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    Is yours a wagon? They are built in Germany, the sedan in Mexico (although I believe the engine comes from Germany either way). Check your window sticker when you get it.

Floor mats: Try pushing down on the carpet right next to where the post is that holds the mat down is located, and then just yank it up.
    Are you telling me that the TDI sedan is assembled in Mexico?

I KNOW it is coming on a ship to Boston. I beleive the port of origin is Emdon. Is Emdon in Mexico? Are you sure it is not Brazil?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Country of origin for VW Jetta Sedan is Mexico.
    For Jetta Wagon is Germany.
    Golf and GTI 2001-2003 Brazil.
    Passat Germany.
    New Beetle Mexico.
    Eurovan Germany.
    Touareg Slovakia.
    For the new model (2005?) Jetta all Jetta and Bora(Euro Jetta) will be manufactured in Mexico.
    For the current models I can not tell any difference in quality so IMHO it really does not matter where the VW is built.
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Just think that even at 2 per premium per gallon in LA with 25-30 mpgs' or $25-30 to fill up is still a lot cheaper than a V8 Suv At 15 mpg's @1.75 regular = say $45-50.
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    We have had our snow issues too and I learned last year after a wild fish-tailing 180 on a local interstate that I was not invincible with ASR and ABS. AWD and ESP would have prevented the same incident. Snow dammed up on the outside of my front wheel while doing a lane change luckily with no other cars around. I still can fish tail on a slick curve with snow, sand and or ice or any combo thereof.

I do see a lot of 4x4 drivers driving like redneck idiots tailgating even in bad conditions like they are invincible.
  • rdmatosrdmatos Member Posts: 11
    Stop complaining everyone, gas here in California, specifically Tracy Hills (suburb of San Fransisco) is $2.29 for 91 and $2.03 for 87. It costs me more than $30 to fill my car with 91 for my 1.8T. Gad-zooks! I remember back in 1999 when gas was $1.55--god I miss those days!
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    The early 2001 GTIs and 99.5 and 2000s came from Germany. It was a mid-year move during 2001 when the GTIs started getting built in Brazil.
    Just think that even at 2 per premium per gallon in LA with 25-30 mpgs'

25 MPG! I wish. I'm getting closer to 23-24 with 70% freeway. The closest I've seen to 30 with my Jetta was a drive to LA - 28 mpg.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    To get your floormats out of your car you will need to pull them up HARD. I can get mine out, but in doing so, I usually pull the plastic part from the mats and they seperate from the mat itself. This happened with the original mats that came standard with my Jetta and with the embroidered mats I got for Christmas. They can be put back together without a problem, but its still a pain.

No discoloration here!!
    I have heard several people complain about your problem of discoloration. I have a spot on my door panel, but it came off with water so I am not worried about it. I would definitely take the car in and have the part replaced or something.
    I have a 1.8T, and since I commute about 80 miles daily, I sometimes wish I would have gotten the TDI. But then I push down the gas pedal and zoom off, and am happy again. :)

I know you can get the TDI chipped, but you can do the same with the 1.8T. I drove both cars back to back, and the TDI felt alot slower than the 1.8T (with auto of course), so I chose the 1.8T.
    Well, we got about 5" more on the ground this morning. I had to take my dad to work at 2am (he had to do snow detail, he works for the State of MD). Started the car up, cleaned it off, and it took right off through the white stuff. I was even able to conquer a slushy/snowy hill, which surprised me (the Corolla next to me slid back down, while I kept on going). The only trouble I had was when I turned my wheels all the way to the left to get out of the parking lot where my dad works, my car started going sharply to the left. It wasn't really a problem in this particular situation, as I wanted to turn left anyway, but I could see it being a problem.

MD seems to be doing a pretty good job of getting the roads clean, alot better than in recent years. I hope this is the LAST snowfall of this year. As it is, we're gonna have piles of snow lying around until June! :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Doesn't the chip cause MPG to go down (ie. get worse)?
    The chip on the TDI, according to owners, usually causes an increase in MPG. In the 1.8T, I don't think it makes a differewnce.
    Ok..maybe I'm misunderstanding how chips work. What exactly does the chip do?
    This happens to everyone - it's normal wear and tear. Happened on my GTI and on my Jetta. If you put your elbow up on the door panel it will start to discolor it/rub away the finish.

Think of it as character for your car. ;)

If it's still under 12/12000 then it will be replaced, otherwise it won't since it's "normal wear and tear".

And vocus, stop talking about the snow, Pat will get mad. ;):D

- Anthony
    Chips increase the a/f ratio, advance the timing, and up the boost to give increased power levels. By doing this you need to run higher octane (slower burn) so accommodate the advance timing and other settings.

It shouldn't change MPG, because it's just letting your engine work more efficiently. However, most people will notice a decrease in MPG because they find themselves with the pedal to the floor more often. ;)
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    You have explained what a chip does. But where does it go and where do you put it? How much? Easy to install? Affect the warranty? See, anything else you can tell us lame about.
    The chip is usually not actually something you can install yourself. The company will take your computer and reprogram it. Chips usually run from about $400-$600, depending on which one you get. It can affect warranty if something breaks, the dealer finds out about the chip, and they think that what broke did so because of the chip. i.e. if your clutch blows and you have a chip, you are probably screwed, but if the radio breaks, you're fine.
    http://www.upsolute.com/

On the TDI... the increase in torque is so massive, many folks report that full throttle roll-ons in 2'd 3'd gear will make the clutch slip. In 1st gear, the front tires just spin when too much throttle is applied. This is impressive.

It is NOT a bad clutch.. it is just that the OEM clutch cannot handle the massive torque the chipped engine generates.

When properly tuned (chip, injectors, box) the TDI has been measured to produce torque rivaling the VR6.... all while getting over 50 MPG with normal driving. Folks that do this to their engine should not expect to make any warantee claims for broken parts.
    A "chip" is an eprom, a modification to your engine control unit. That is where the "brain" of the engine is, and this changes the instruction codes.
    Anthony,
    What is the max hp can this chip deliver? Where can it be bought? Someone earlier said they cost $200 - $400. Is the sole advantage just more hp? I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T. What can I do with more hp? This chip must be used by modders. Can the chip cause engine problems down the road? What is a eprom?
    Sorry about all these Qs, but I'm an information junkie. I just like to know how things work.
    Thanks alot!!! :)
    Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory...kinda contradictory.
    You can get a chip for anywhere from $250-600. If you have a problem with anything in your powertrain, as Anthony said, VW might trace it to your chip and WILL void your warranty on that specific part (be it the engine, tranny, whatever is affected).

Some ways that people try to get around this is to buy a spare ECU computer (about $4-500) and put the chip in there. They change the ECU before the car is taken in for service, and the problem is solved.

The chip should give you anywhere from 215-225hp, depending on which program you have. Go to the APR link above and read about it. Also, you can't go any higher than Stage I since you have the Tiptronic (you will know what I mean when you read the APR site linked above).
    More than HP...the chip offers the holy grail: more torque. Your torque will break 240 (I believe you currently have around 167). That's the force that shoves you back in your seat when you accelerate.

I've considered it many times but I'd rather not pour more money into a car that will be gone from my life (at the latest) in 14 months.
    Sorry, but where is the APR link and what does it stand for? You'll have to spell some things out to me for a while. Maybe, for ever!

blueguy:
    I didn't think about the torque when I asked about the hp. Johnny on the spot, you are, as usual.

Maybe, if I get the chip, I'll try the 100+ mph attempt again. That will be fun.

1,200 miles and everything with the Jetta is just peachy, so far. My fingers are crossed, though. Will someone tell me when I can breathe.
    www.goapr.com

I had an APR 93 chip in my 1.8T. The only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't smooth. I guess that's also why I don't like turbo engines, I like buttery smooth sixes like my BMW.

But it sure is fast. :)
    I found an empty road and got my Jetta up to 101 mph today. It handled itself pretty well up to that speed and could've gone higher, but I was running out of road. I'll have to do it a couple more times to get somewhat more comfortable with the car. It was kinda fun. Speaking of fun. Isn't this fun??? :)
  • wcwagwcwag Member Posts: 19
    What kind of Jetta and engine do you have? When did you buy it and have you have any trouble with it? (I have a '03 GL 1.8T and it's great)
    Wanda,
    Nice to meet you. My '03 Jetta 1.8T is now two months old and I have just over 1,200 miles on it. I haven't had one, I mean, not one problem with it. Up to this point I'm very happy with it. It performs very well and it's fun to drive, and hasn't had one cough, hick-up, groan, etc. But as I have read about (on this forum) some of the problems other owners have begins to scare me a little. I'm very happy at this point and I hope I can say this after I put more miles on it. By the way, I live in the Chicago area and I paid only $200 over invoice. I've had read that's about on par, if not less. VW just lowered their interest rate to 1.9% for 60 months. I missed that by about a month. Oh well... How 'bout you, any problems? Good Luck and I wish you blue skys and green lights.
    Vocus (or anyone else),
    I have a challenge for you. I'm looking for a scale model Jetta. Vocus, if you are first to come up with a source, you'll win the coveted, "Isn't This Fun Award" trophy. I believe that would make it #2 for you. You can hang it on the wall with your other one, or maybe, even take it to work for your desk. That would spiffy up your office, if you can find it under all that snow. Now, that's no fun.
    Seriously, if anyone can help, that would be good too. Thanks very much everyone. ITF? :)
    What scale are you looking for? They do sell one in 1/64 scale, but thats too small for me. I usually collect 1/18 scale models. I have heard of those for the Jetta, but the only ones are actually made by VW of China (thus hard to find)
    Pat,
    Any size would be fine. Ya think I could get it from VW somehow? If you know where I can the 1:64, I'll get it there.
    Thanks very much Sir :)
    (cards28) Any well-stocked toystore will have scale models of all kinds.

My daughter really liked the Hemi-Cuda after seeing them doing wheelstands at the dragstrip. I looked for weeks before I found that "toys-R-us" had the Hemi-Cuda scale models in several colors.

BTW... For those that are vehicle-illeterate.... a Hemi-Cuda is a Plymouth Barracuda powered by the the world-famous "Hemi" engine. It still amazes me that these heavy cars can lift the front wheels over 4 feet off of the ground when lights turn green. (And high-school kids were driving them off the dealers lot with this kind of power back in the 1960s!!)
    Thanks for your kind reply. Yes, my car is similar to yours....have had it for 1 month (same as you, no problems thus far and love to drive it). I, too, am a little frightened about a possible coil problem (that was my reason for responding to your post), however no problems at all at this time....have a little over 700 miles on mine....I live in the New Orleans area and I was able to get mine for just around the same cost, plus they gave me a good trade in on my Honda! I missed the 1.9% financing, too. Happy Driving!
    Let's stay in touch so we can exchange stories of our Jetta's successes or failures. BTW, what color is yours? My is the Tornado Red with black leather, auto Tiptronic, Sports Package, rear wing, and a few other things. What options did you decide on? How did you decide on the Jetta versus another car? Maybe, another Honda?
    For those worried about possible problems, I am running on 23,000 miles with no problems but a window regulator (actually broke when somebody smashed my window breaking into the car), and they replaced both for me in under 45 minutes with no appointment.
    Hey Frank, here is the thread going on in the diecast forum on the Vortex about this, they might be setting up a group buy since they seem to be rather unaccessable if you are not in China.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=465735
    Actually my Jetta is Platinum Grey with grey cloth. The options are Tiptronic with Monsoon System. I'll keep you posted.
  • zinc6824zinc6824 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how to replace the battery in the remote key? I have a 2001 remote key no latch on backside.

Thanks in advance.

Z
    Can anyone tell me what MKIV and Bora are?
    Thanks, :)
    I will attempt an answer to this..

MKIV = 4th generation. (I believe that the Jetta has been thru 4 generations of redesigns since its introduction.)

Bora = trade name of what we know as the Jetta in the USA. (recall that the Golf used to be marketed as the "rabbit" in the USA while the rest of the planet always had "Golf")
    Hey Pat,
    Thanks very much for the heads up on the vwvortex site. I saw your name there and glad to see I'm not the only yzarc (crazy-backward)one looking for a scale model. I posted a note and stated that I was interested also. I mentioned that I might be able to help out somehow: maybe be the distributor if there weren't too many to handle. I would really like to get one. Aren't these forums great? I'm having fun!