Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    You could always wait for a warmer day and then open and shut the door repeatedly while rolling the windows up and down. ;-)
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That's the thing though! I have slammed the door a couple times with the window partially open, and the window didn't drop into the door. My co-workers have a BAD habit of slamming the passenger door, maybe I should let one of them do it for me... :)

Seriously though, I am surprised my regs haven't gone yet. Now, watch tonight one will drop.. :) I have 34.5K on my car, built 9/01, BTW.
  • Options
    sableowner2sableowner2 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone on this board can give me some facts or share their experience. A friend is considering purchasing a 2003 Jetta 1.8T with 5 speed manual transmission. He test drove it and felt the car was right for him, but now he is having second thoughts concerning the reliability of this specific model. I was just wondering what the general opinion on this issue is and if there is a site with statistical data concerning reliability that I should check out. Thanks!
  • Options
    jjthompsonjjthompson Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds says that VW is offering 1.9% for 60 months and $500 manufacturer to dealer when the customer finances through VW Credit. Can anyone confirm this? My girl friend is considering purchasing soon and Edmunds says that these incentives end 3/31. She is wanting to get a 2003 GLS 2.0 Auto with Leather and Monsoon. We were hoping to be able to get a 1.8, but we are on a strict budget and she would rather have Leather and Monsoon than the 1.8. I would like to get this vehicle for $20,000. The sticker price is $21,615. The Edmunds TMV is $20,261. Does this sound reasonable with the alleged incentives? What about without? Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to get 1.9% from VW? Sorry for all of the questions, we are young and have never handled car buying before.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    sable: your friend is in a bad situation. he already test drove the Jetta, so he seriously won't like anything else even close to the same price. but, yes, the 1.8T has a reputation of being....a powerful, efficient little motor, that is "moody"....from what i understand, it is a good motor overall, and that the 2003 models should be better. do a search anywhere on the internet on "Jetta" AND "coils" and see what you come up with.

vocus: go to a different dealer. that is so lame. my dealer just made up something for me too - my service record says something like "left and right front windows make noise - replaced regulators."
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Picked up my bilstein shocks and struts today from Evolution Sports. Can't wait to get them installed.

Good-bye floaty boaty suspension... hello handling.

Got some clear corner lights while I was at it. :)

I'll report back once I get it installed.
  • Options
    wellokaywellokay Member Posts: 15
    Does everyone have that area in the corner, in front of the driver, that isn't reached by the wiper? It's really annoying. Is there a way to address this problem?

Also, what do you use/do to get crystal clear windows?

AND - when you got your new Jetta - did you receive any kind of "thank you for buying a vw" type of letter/packet. And when did they call for the follow up survey?
  • Options
    You are complaining because the Jetta's wipers aren't large enough?!? You are the first one I ever heard to say that. I don't think there is anything they can do about that though, sorry.
  • Options
    I am so jealous of you right now! :) Glad you finally got your shocks. I had H&R Sport springs, but sold them to get my new DV.

I also got tinted corners on the car, looks hot since my car's white. Can't wait for the tinted fender markers and taillamps... :) You gonna Joey the headlights too? I think I am soon...
  • Options
    I emailed VW with my questions, I got my response via phone. I probably won't be able to take the car in on Thursday anyway, because of scheduling issues with me.

They told me the regulators are being replaced as they fail, but reminded me they were warrantied for 7 years. My driver window is making noise, will point that out when I finally get to take the car in. With the back brakes wearing, I pulled a rear wheel last night and the rotors aren't damaged or grooved. They said I would have to replace the pads myself though, even though the backs wore out at 35K. The driver door panel is also fading a little, and they said they would look at that when I bring in the car.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    You should expect to get a VW for invoice minus 200-500. they can't give new cars away right now.
  • Options
    I don't think I'll do much with the headlights right now. I may eventually get e-codes.

after I get the suspension in, I plan to do some cosmetic stuff like painting the valences and maybe a light tint on the windows.
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I have never had a reg fail on me. With my GTI, I noticed my drivers side window regulator was going up VERY slowly.... so when I took it in for my tranny replacement and autotech stage II upgrade, I asked my tech if he'd fix it, and he just replaced it. Mind you this was before the 7 year warranty and I was at 35,000 miles. It is all about the dealer and how they want to help you, not so much about VW.

- Anthony
  • Options
    thank you very much for your reply. you hit the nail on the head in your response. my friend "fell in love with" the jetta when he test drove it and is reluctant to even test drive another car! as for the reliability issue, i would like to believe that VW has fixed the coils for '03 but the only way to know for sure is to see what '03 owners are saying a few years down the line. i will be taking your advice and doing more internet research, in the mean time i have recommended that my friend test drive the '03 accord ex coupe as a more reliable alternative to the jetta 1.8T. thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    donnabgooddonnabgood Member Posts: 37
    I got a brand new Jetta 1.8t in 2002 with leather, monsoon, tiptronic, sunroof, etc for 20,500 even though it stickered at 23,475. Go for the better engine IMHO. That is the thing you will enjoy daily about the driving experience. Also find a busy VW dealer in your area, and buy on the busiest weekend, last weekend of the month usually. The dealer will have hit so many "homeruns" so to speak, that he won't need to make a killing off of you too, that maybe you will get lucky and he will give you everything you want within your budget..even if you have to pay 1000 more to get the 1.8t, it is so worth it, with the low interest..you will hardly feel the difference in your payment..
  • Options
    the Accord is pretty sharp looking, in coupe form. i am sure in V6 form it drives great. not so sure about the reliability, but it shouldn't have coil issues :)

let us know what your friend ended up picking!
  • Options
    I had an Accord Coupe V6 before my Jetta.

I bought the Jetta after a test drive.

My Accord was very reliable and very smooth and very zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, fell asleep there for a minute. ;)
  • Options
    cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Sableowner2,
    I have a 2003 Jetta with just under 2,000 miles and I have had it for about 3 months. I haven't had one problem, not one problem with it, thus far. The options included 1.8T, Monsoon, leather, Tiptronic, and moon roof for just about $21,500. I think you can just about squeeze the dealer pretty hard at this time.

I don't always go by the TMV, because I got mine below that amount.

The 1.9% goes to those who have near perfect credit and that's why they can dangle that rate in front of us, because they know that not many people will qualify.
    Go get 'em. Lets us know. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    The way to go is to try to get the dealer as close to invoice (or as far below as possible) that you can. In addition, deal with the internet sales people because they are easier to deal with. :)
  • Options
    I sat in an Accord coupe, and it was nice. I drove an Accord EX V6 sedan, and it was so quiet I almost fell asleep at what I thought was a traffic light. Turns out, I was still moving...

Anyway, I resent Honda making you purchase the V6 engine in order to get traction control and side curtain airbags, when VW makes them both standard on all 1.8T Jettas. Also, ESP is available on 03 Jettas, but not the Accord.

The Jetta more than likely won't be as reliable as the Accord over its ownership period, but it's definitely more exciting! :)
  • Options
    thanks to everyone for your comments--they have been informative and helpful. well i did more internet research and discovered that VW recalled the faulty coils and put in new coil packs in all '03 1.8T's, so that eases my mind a little. has anyone heard of any other widespread reliability issues (besides the coils)? i have read a few complaints about interior rattles, but nothing major. my friend hasn't test driven the accord yet, but he does feel the jetta fits him better and thinks the accord is a bit boring. he got a price quote from the internet sales manager of a local VW dealer for a 1.8T with 5 speed manual transmission and monsoon audio package (the only option he wants on the car) for 19,299 which seems like a pretty good deal to me; especially given edmunds.com TMV for that car is 19,600. thanks again for your insights (no honda pun intended) and i will let you guys know how the car hunting goes.
  • Options
    cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Yes, I agree with vocus about getting a price on the internet. The quote that I got was $200 over invoice with no wiggle room. So, you can contact as many VW dealers in your area and let them battle for your business. The people I contacted on the internet were the new wave of sales people. They were easy to talk to. Most, probably are selling at a "no haggle" price.

The ride and handling were the factors that sold me on the Jetta. Well, the price was right, too. I drove the Accord V6 and it handled very well on the curves, but I think it is over priced. The Jetta has a long list of standard features not
    found on the Accord.

Again, good luck and have fun shopping. Shopping is good free therapy.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    "good free therapy"

LOL!!!
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    what standard features would those be with the accord v6?

Vocus: i share your resentment about Honda not having as many standard features in their base models as WV. You can add 4 wheel disk brakes to the list. but the point is mute with me, if i got an Accord it would have to be the v6 model. but that brings more resentment because i would want the LX V6 and they're hard to find.

Anakin: you may want to test drive the new accord v6 coupe with the 6 speed. you may find it more exciting. it definitely has a sportier feel than the sedan variant and the sedan is sportier than the previous accord coupe.
  • Options
    Honda dealers are also nasty and snotty. Like they don't need your business or something. You know they are fighting to make a dollar like all other car dealers, they need to act it...
  • Options
    the local honda dealership (this dealership also sells VWs) is very professional and courteous and the service is great. but they're the only dealer in madison and they don't like to deal (same with the VWs). you can say they like to screw you over with a smile.
  • Options
    All the Honda dealers I have experienced in MD are snotty and uppity. Very big turn-off to me.
  • Options
    I don't really want to drive the new Accord Coupe. I much prefer the styling of the previous model. The new one just doesn't do it for me. I don't like the front end, and Mercedes just called and said they want their taillights back. The interior is nice, however. I sat in one at the auto show.

I also prefer my torque down low. The Accord is probably faster than my Jetta, but the excellent torque curve in my Jetta makes it a lot of fun to drive. The Accord also doesn't have a tiptronic, which I use quite frequently. There's far too much traffic in the Seattle area for me to want to hassle with a manual.

If the TSX (euro accord) wagon ever made it to the states, I'd get one for my wife. I'm not going to hold my breath on that. Honda wants us to buy their SUVs.

Oh well. Enough rambling. Have to catch the bus this morning because I left my Jetta at the install shop last night. Come this evening, I'll be hugging the curves with aplomb. Yee-ha!
  • Options
    Ooh, I am so jealous! :) I am getting the Autotech sway next month sometime, I think.

Also, I know you wanted E-codes. Performance Cafe has them on sale for $259...
  • Options
    hey there, i remember you used to have "rattles". the dealer wants to take my rear door panels off and put "foam" in there. does that help? i have little "clicks", can only hear them in COLD weather, and when the radio is OFF, coming from the back doors. did you have that, and if so, does foam help?

gracias!
  • Options
    Never had problems with the back doors, but I think they put stoppers in the front doors or something like that. I have to dig out the service paper at home and see what it says.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I think that we will go to the VW dealership this weekend and see what they can do. It's the end of the month and the incentives end on 3/31 so maybe we can get the 1.8 at a good price. We could do 20,500 so hopefully we can get the same deal you got. The only problem is our local dealership is small and they have a very limited inventory. Hopefully things will work out. Thanks again!
  • Options
    autobyfoxautobyfox Member Posts: 2
    JJTHOMPSON:

I think Donnabgood needs to put the pipe down and get a grip on reality. Everyone always embelishes the actual price they paid for a new car to make it seem like they really worked the poor stif at the dealership over. In fact Donna probably did not get a Jetta GLS with Tiptronic, Leather, and Monsoon for 20500. Unless maybe she got it after the 2003's came out with a 1000 year end allowance from VW.

A 2003 GLS 1.8T in this area is typically equipped with Leather, Monsoon, 17" Wheel and Sport Suspension Package, and Rear Spoiler. The MSRP of such a car is 24744 and the invoice price is 22840. Here in Metro Detroit the typical Internet Special is about 2% over invoice or 23296 before tax and plates. VW does have 1.9% 60 month financing or some great lease specials. Also there is a $500 VW Credit Dealer Cash allowance through the end of the month. So I would think a fair deal for all concerned would be somewhere in the 22796 range before tax assuming the vehicle is either financed or leased through VW Credit. Even taking out the Spoiler and Sport Wheel Option -298 & -706 the price at the same 2% over invoice mark up would be 21792. The price on Jetta's has been essentially the same for a few years so I find it difficult to believe Donnabgood got a 2002 for 20500 unless like I said it was a left over 2002 after the 2003's came out.
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    my friend just bought a 03 silver accord EX coupe ... let me tell you, that thing is nice, heated leather seats, moonroof, 6cd changer, very bright dash lights .. i'm no honda fan, but i would def take that car over my gf's 2001 wolvie 1.8.. then again, there is a 2 yr difference, the jetta haven't been revamped and the accord was just updated. the accord coupe had the 4cyl i believe 175hp engine.. i drove it in NYC and it def drove very nice... over all fit and finish was up there... it would be a hard decision between a 03 jetta vs a 03 accord coupe.. if i were to buy today, i would pick the accord coupe..price would be almost the same for similar equipment.. when the jetta comes out with a newer edition, then we'll have to see then...i wouldnt touch the sedan since it looks wayyyy too ugly..
  • Options
    A co-worker of mine was looking at a GTI VR6, and he said the dealer offered him $4000 off MSRP. This was an 03 as well. Looks like you can't go around assuming when you're not there, dude...
  • Options
    If the Accord had the safety features standard that the Jetta does, I might think about it. Also, Honda dealers would have to be put through a nationwide attitude refining class as well...
  • Options
    can't afford an Accord! insurance rates are STEEP for any Honda, due to the Fast and Furious crowd and high theft rates.

i must agree with the one guy that said it is hard to find a 1.8T not all tricked out. i had to look far and wide to find mine equipped the way i wanted. 1.8T Tip with leather/lux WITHOUT big wheels and wings. finally found one though :)
  • Options
    rdhdrdhd Member Posts: 3
    Every so often, I put my key in my new Jetta VR6 2003 and it does not turn over. It just beeps and makes a clicking noise. After several tries (sometimes 5-10 minutes later) it starts right up. It seems to be only after the car has sat overnight. I took it to the dealership and they could not recreate it. There is no record of it in the car's computer so the dealership told me there is nothing they can do to fix it. Any insights?
  • Options
    that's just not so. a comparable accord will not be any higher than a jetta/passat. my insurance went up when i got my jetta. i wish those wonderful people who publish the top ten stolen cars would also come out with a theft RATE. the accord and camry wouldn't be on that list.
  • Options
    Oh

Ma

Gawd.

I just love this suspension. This is what VW should sell as their factory sport suspension.

Nice, almost perfectly flat cornering. Highway ride is a little more stiff, but not harsh.

I love it.

H&R Sport Springs

Bilstein Sport Shocks & Struts

Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar (I've actually had this on the car for over a year)
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    How much has that lowered your car? I would love to upgrade my suspension, but with the state of the roads in my area I dont dare risk lowering it. I've already experienced metal on pavement sound effects from frost heaves, so losing an inch would be no good at all.
  • Options
    donnabgooddonnabgood Member Posts: 37
    I really did get that deal on the Jetta..and actually it was no haggling. I have no reason to make it up..who am I am trying to impress? I leased it new at the end of June 02, and bought a 2002 with 6 miles on the odometer.. leather, monoson, sunroof, tiptronic, heated seats..did not get the 17 inch sport package,so 15 inch alloys, black with tan leather interior..I had gone in to lease a 2.0 GL with 1000 down 229 a month. They were selling Jetta's like crazy and were out of the GL's..so the sales manager said he would give me the GLS with velour, elec. windows for the same price..I had really liked Golfs more, the styling..I said whoa, make me a deal like that on a Golf and we have a deal..he told me all of the incentives were on Jettas (just like they are now again I might add) and I said ok, what if I get the 1.8T Jetta, maybe that will be a little more exciting (I was trying to get back into a low payment after having paid 400 a month on my last two cars) so he gave me the deal on the 1.8T, a thousand down , 268 a month... and if you can beleive it the interest is only 1.5%. and the sales manager is the one who told me he had made so many homeruns that weekend, that he did not need to make a killing on me..sometimes you think a place is slow they will be grateful for any business, but in this case it was because this place was successful that they were able not to need every nickel from every deal.

BTW I have since become an F&I Manager for a car dealership and trust me I know what I am talking about..that's how come I also know what the interest rate is..because I know how to convert money factors into interest rates..in case you question me on the 1.5% interest rate too..and truthfully only my car credit is good (5 new car loans in 10 years) and the rest of my credit is less than stellar..but because it was sent through with so many other strong deals, I benefited all around..as a matter of fact when I get my lease statement from VW credit, it says no interest has been accessed on the loan..I wish JJThompson lived in California.. I would get him the same deal on the Jetta 1.8T if he wanted it..
  • Options
    The H&R Sport springs lower the car 1.5"

If you want the handling bonus without lowering it, I think H&R sells some that don't lower the car but are stiffer.
  • Options
    they do sell some set ups that DON'T lower the car, for those that don't like that "look"...

and YES, my 01 Civic EX was a grand more a year in insurance over my TURBO Jetta. they told me flatout, you live in an urban area, and Honda's are stolen, or taken apart on the streets. many Integras had the wheels taken right off in my parking garage. that makes insurance rates go higher for those cars. believe it or not, a Miata would be even lower than my Jetta. i am being killed because of TURBO :( but still cut my bill in half by getting rid of the Civic. now that i think about it though, an Accord is a more a family car, maybe they aren't stolen. though based on stats, it seems that they are...
  • Options
    That is an amazing deal for the vehicle that you got. Thanks for the offer to help me out, but unfortunately I do not live in California. I am in Arkansas. If I can manage to work the same deal I will definitely go with the 1.8T.
  • Options
    ooprisoopris Member Posts: 1
    I have a Volkswagen Jetta 1998(89,000 km).
    I have to change the timing belt at 96000km.
    Where do you recommand to change the timing belt at a Volkswagen dealer or any other auto service can do it?
  • Options
    I'm not sure what "look" you're talking about Justin. The H&R springs lower the car so the wheels are perfectly centered in the wheel openings.

It looks more balanced than the stock 4x4 look with wheelgap you could stick your head in. Yuck.

I didn't buy the low rider kit. ;)

Here's a pic of a GTI with the H&R sports. I don't have pics of my car yet so you'll have to wait. :) Maybe I can snap some tonight.

• Options
    wow, sounds like you are on the defensive about your modding decision already! i simply said that their are kits available for people that don't care for the dropped "look". just remember - modding is apparently like getting tattoos - can't stop with just one. if you start getting fire extinguishers installed in your car, and start talking in that SoCal street racer lingo, then i will be worried, haha.

and my car doesn't look like a 4x4. i am gonna find a pic of it - i wonder if there is something wrong with mine. my car couldn't handle bigger wheels - my stock 15" look close to scraping the fenders as it is.
  • Options
    The point I was making is that 1.5" drop doesn't really look "dropped." The average joe wouldn't be able to tell by looking.

You don't need to find a pic of 15" wheels. I used to have some.

IMO, the car looks like it's sitting on top of the wheels instead of like they're part of the car.

I'll post pics of my car once I get a chance to take some so you can all bask in my glory. ;)
  • Options
    Do the springs and shocks make more of a difference than the swaybar did alone? I am gonna get an Autotech bar for mine, but didn't really wanna mess with the springs and shocks.

In addition, my Jetta sits lower than the ones on standard suspension and 15s. I know, because 3 of my co-workers have the standard suspension and 15s, and I have the factory sport suspension and 15s, and my car sits physically lower.