Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know modding is like getting tattoed to some, but other know where to stop...
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    Justin, no matter how much space in the wheel well, you could upgrade your wheel size, because the overall tire diameter will not change.
    I had the 17s with my car when I got it, and I ended up selling those wheels and getting the 15s to replace them. I drive about 25-30K a year, and couldn't see paying $550 for a set of tires for what amounts to once yearly. In addition, the 15s handle just as well with the sport suspension as the 17s did. I was surprised at that fact myself.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    I dunno where you buy your tires.

Kumho Ecsta 712 for my 17" wheels were $78 each.

The springs and shocks make a lot more difference in cornering than I was expecting, even though I already had the swaybar. The car now corners almost perfectly flat.

I even broke the tail loose a bit hugging a turn last night. :D
    I like the way the car corners already, except its body lean. I think I should be fine with just the sway. I would rather spend the remaining cash for a chip, exhaust, and DV than for the suspension.

I priced tires at the BJ's, and Sam's Club. The 15s are alot cheaper. I just had to replace a tire due to bubbling, and it only cost me $66 out the door. Better than $1-- for the 17s...
    Yeah, you'd want to get the sway first and then see how you like it. If you already have the factory sport suspension you might like it ok with just a sway.
    I know there is a noticeable difference between the stock and factory sport suspensions, even though I hear it's only 5% stiffer.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    You're going to want race springs in 6 months. I had the same setup as you on my GTI, wanted something lower, switch to H&R Race, H&R Front Sway and added a Neuspeed rear sway. Talk about a perfect drop. One finger gap between the wheels and the fenders. Granted I couldn't go up steep driveways or go over big speed bumps - so the sport drop was more resonable!

H&R Sells "OEM" Sport springs, that drop the car something like .5". This is ok to use with factory shocks.

When lowering a car, it's the shocks that make the difference almost more than the springs. When you get race springs or sport springs, you need a shock that is properly dampened to match the rate of the springs. This keeps the car from "bouncing" and vastly improves your handling.

The rear sway bar is the best bet for cutting body roll without doing anything else. Even with my car with Bilstein sports, H&R Race, H&R front sway, once I added the rear sway, it transformed the car. Since the springs are progressive, they have to compress a bit first before they get stiff, so going into a corner there is that initial lean until the springs compress. The rear sway bar stiffens up the chasis so there is barely any lean to begin with. I loved taking corners in my GTI, it was perfectly neutral and always went where I pointed it. (OK, great tires help a lot here too!)

The factory sport suspension is 10% stiffer than the normal suspension. It also drops the car 10mm. Factory sport shocks are also gas pressurized, unlike the non-sport ones which are air. Also the sport suspension has 2mm thicker front and rear sway bars.

And just for kicks, since you guys saw a lowered GTI 1.5", here is mine dropped just a wee bit over 2". Man that was a fun car..... drop will look the same on a jetta, because the wheel wells are cut the same.

- Anthony
    I don't think I'll want any more drop than I have. I think it looks perfect and rides perfect. Any stiffer, and the ride would be way too harsh. Seattle has crappy roads. I don't think I-5 through downtown has been paved in 20 years.
    Here's a quick photo I snapped tonight. Unfortunately I don't have a nice scene like Anthony's, but this will have to do until I can get to a more scenic location.

I tried to edit out the orange light with photoshop, but there is only so much you can do. :P

That's the problem with lowering for me. Baltimore city's streets are crap, so much so now after this past snow that I have been taking the highway to go certain places to save wear/tear on my car. In addition, I carry passengers at work sometimes and can't change rubbing. And if I can't go 1.5" or more, what's the point?! :)

I am about to get a Neuspeed 1.1bar as well as a Eurosport exhaust, and already got a new DV on the way from a GB.

Love the TT wheels, BTW!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    that's a nice color, the same as mine. don't really care for the alloys though.
    The pic I took last night was really poor, so here are some better ones. :)

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i like the red. did you take out the stock yellow front bumper side lights? i know that my fender side lights are clear, but my front bumper lights are yellow....i think.
    just scrolled back. that silver VW pic is typical of the "look" i don't like, personally. all that big wheel, and bottom scraping spoiler ground-effects stuff. the difference between VW and Honda is the more refined shape/subdued style of VW's. whoever did that to that poor silver GTI should have bought an Integra! :) i don't think the classy body shapes of the VW's take well to all that added junk. my opinion of course.

the red Jetta i could live with - but not where i have to drive. there is no way to get the car up over a curb or anything! well, there is, but not without hurting/scraping it. here where i live, people don't know how to drive, and you often have to take at least one wheel over a curb to get in your turn lane so you don't miss the light. i would feel bad doing that in the red car.
    He has clear front bumper lights, just like I have tinted ones on my car. :) I don't know how to post a pic of mine, or I would...
    Trying to get in on a GB for the Pro-Kit.. do I need the dampers or can I use my stock ones (since they're 'sport' already)? Thanks!
    Driving over curbs?!

It sounds like you really abuse your car.

You should buy a truck. :P
    "That's the problem with lowering for me. Baltimore city's streets are crap, so much so now after this past snow that I have been taking the highway to go certain places to save wear/tear on my car. In addition, I carry passengers at work sometimes and can't change rubbing. And if I can't go 1.5" or more, what's the point?! :)"

I was up there over the summer for a baseball game with some friends. Got lost on the way back, ended up driving through the ghetto of Baltimore, some of these bumps I hit, I thought it was the end of my car. Luckilly the TT wheels are forged! Mind you I had 4 people in the car at this time, so it was VERY low. Sometimes the back wheels would rub inside the wheel wells. Cool... :)

"just scrolled back. that silver VW pic is typical of the "look" i don't like, personally. all that big wheel, and bottom scraping spoiler ground-effects stuff. the difference between VW and Honda is the more refined shape/subdued style of VW's. whoever did that to that poor silver GTI should have bought an Integra! :) i don't think the classy body shapes of the VW's take well to all that added junk. my opinion of course."

Uh..... Integra? Those are european VW bumpers, a rieger front lip, and factory Audi wheels. Super smooth, IMO.

"Trying to get in on a GB for the Pro-Kit.. do I need the dampers or can I use my stock ones (since they're 'sport' already)? Thanks!"

You need the pro-kit dampers. It'll make a world of difference.

Anakin, your drop looks great. Looked lower than when I had the sports on my car.

Stay off those curbs though..... :P
    a little slow speed curb action is required sometimes. not really abuse. just "severe" usage. if the car can't take it, then i don't want the car. i guess i got rid of the Wrangler's years ago, but never got rid of the desire to get where i am going :)
    I live about 10 blocks from that stadium, and the roads around here are worse now then they were back then. They have recently filled an average of 1000 potholes daily or some rediculous number like that here, due to the bad snow we had all winter. That's why my car's not getting lowered for awhile.

Thanks for the advice on the dampers, I thought as much. I am gonna just do a rear sway (Neuspeed or Autotech) and leave it at that for now. :)
    Running over curbs?!? Where do you drive that requires that? I have driven through DC rush hour before, and never had to run over a curb before. If you can judge your distance well enough to make a 'squeeze' move between a curb and another car, then you won't hit the curb. I stopped those really tight 'squeeze' moves when I lost a ~$200 17" tire last year...
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I only go over curbs with my 4X4 with a 4.7L V8 HEMI. The 31X10.5LT15 tires (that is 31") have no troubles with curbs, railroad ties, or small cars. Just yesterday, (in the middle of mud-season around here) I had to traverse several miles of 6 inch deep muck.

In fact, my wife commented during that trip that she would not want to live on a dirt road because her car would get burried in the mud during mud season. I reminded her that is why I have the 4X4 truck.

Jettas should stay on the pavement 8-)

BTW... we were attending the annual Maple fest where guests are welcome to observe the gathering of sap from the sugarbush and the boiling into Maple syrup We took home several gallons of Maple syrup still warm from the pan. There is noting like the sweeet smell of 100 gallons of maple sap being boiled.
  • jkanyjkany Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2003 Jetta and wondered if the sport suspension is worth the extra $$$, and more important, someone told me the 17" tires would be less stable in rain - is that true?
    if so, I'll probably skip that option, although they sure look better!
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    The size of the wheels has no bearing on your stability in the rain. The specific tire might, but I wouldnt think you will have a problem with the 17s.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    depends on your driving style really. I think a jetta without performance tires and a sport suspension handles like a pig. actually, i don't think it, i know it. the need for a sport suspension and 17s is a matter of driving preference. some of us like to wring our cars out, others use cars as transportation.

drive the two back to back. totally different worlds.
    I have that option, and am glad I got it for the suspension. I actually downsized the tires, but the car still handles noticeably better than the standard setup. If you really want it to handle well, get sport shocks and springs and skip the suspension option altogether.

Also, the 17s don't reduce stability in the rain, someone was talking through their behind because their head knows better...
    the back door rattle worse now. they put foam in the doors, and it didn't work. so, i am taking it in again tomorrow morning.

also - i replaced my climate control filter, all by myself. just used a screwdriver. putting the cover back on was tricky - but other than that it was easy. the filter was FILTHY. we shall see if it helps me stop sneezing :)
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    What kind of rattle do you have in your back door? I have one (actually 2). One in my driver side rear door mid speaker and the other is the lock button that rattles when in the locked position. My dash is also making lots of rattlew noises the past couple of weeks. BUT, I WILL NOT let the dealer touch my car again.
    Well, it finally happened to me.

I took my car in for an oil service yesterday. I asked them if they'd swap out the coilpacks while I was there. "No sir, we can only replace defective ones."

I must have jinxed myself, because when I started the car this morning, it sputtered, and the check engine light came on. :P

So, tonight I get to have my car towed back to the dealership.

Oh well. At least it happened at home and not on the freeway. Egad!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Does that just leave me with a trouble free Jetta on this board? Low mileage Jettas excluded.
    Well, up until now I have had no issues.

This doesn't sour me on the car... it's a known issue and they have a recall out for it. Aside from this, I have been quite happy.

I'm having the car towed to a dealership 15 miles away instead of the one 2 miles away. Good service is worth the extra trip.
    "Yes, we will replace all your coils."

"Here is your loaner"

"You car will be done tomorrow."

This is why I drive a little extra to go to a good dealership.

On another note, I am now driving a HOT 2.0 4dr white Golf GL. Yee ha.

Actually it's not bad. The 2.0 is just more... gradual than my 1.8T. ;)
    That's a good way of stating slower.....more gradual.

On a different note: My Dad just bought a new Nissan 350Z and brought it over last night for me to drive. It is a 6 speed...and it is sweet.
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but it had to happen sooner or later. And just when you got your suspension put in, that sucks. :) At least you didn't have to suffer a week with a rental like some of us did (and a Chevy at that). :(
    A couple people around where I live have gotten the new 350. It's a very sweet looking car, especially in the bright red that one person has. I love the door handles especially, I don't know why. :) I hear the interior's cheap looking, but one doesn't really buy a Z for its interior ambience... :)
    yep, Nissan will put a gorgeous interior in the Murano, but not in a G35/350Z. not sure what is up with that.

they fixed my rattle. it was my back seats. they fold down and where they hook together, there is a rubber stopper, and it wasn't stopping the metal parts from rubbing. 2 second adjustment, and it is fixed. i still am taking it back though - i want the foam out of the rear doors - makes me nervous.
    The interior is kind of plasticky, but I still love the car. When your hitting 60mph in about 5.5 seconds one doesn't care about the plastic interior.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Strangely, after driving an Accord Coupe V6 and a G35 Coupe, I think I'd take the Accord and just mod it. It's much more luxurious inside, nearly as fast as G, more comfortable and 10k cheaper. Sure it's not sexy or doesn't handle as well but with some mods it can be made to handle pretty well (not at the G's insane levels). Plus it runs on regular gas, and gets far better gas mileage than a G35 - thus even more savings.

Honestly, if my Jetta had been reliable, I'd contemplate just getting another one. Oh well, VW's loss.
    I just got paid for some freelance work I did last month. I took the proceeds and ordered some Wet Okole seat covers for my car. Black with red inserts to match my paint. :)

I'll give the seats one last thorough cleaning and try to strip off as much lint as possible before putting the wet okoles on. Once I do that, it'll be easy vaccuuming from now on. :)

I'll take some pics once I get it all set up.
    Cool! Glad you finally got the seat covers. You might use one of those lint brushes from the store (the roll thing with the tape like stuff on it) to get the lint off. They seem to work well for dog hair at my house, now that I have a dog again.
    Those lint rollers do 2 things to my seats.

1) Jack

2) Squat

I'll be using duct tape.

Stupid linty velour. @*#&$@*#&(@$!!!!!!!
    Haha, that's funny. :) I thought they would help though. Guess not...

God, I am soooo glad I got the factory leather when I bought the car.. :P
    I have been kicking myself since the first time I tried to clean the seats.

I went to the auto wash and used the coin-op vaccuum and was like "Why the heck isnt' the lint coming off?!"

Never seen a material like this. It's incredible.
    I had a loaner with black cloth inside a couple months ago, and I happend to be wearing a white sweatshirt when I got into the car. The center armrest looked like it had snow on it after about 5 minutes. At that point, I was extremely happy that I had gotten the leather. Funny thing is, I didn't even want any options but sunroof, auto., and alloys when I went to get the car. I ended up with Monsoon, leather, Sport Pkg. though. :)

Anyway, I got leather because I needed the lumbar support. Also have grown really accustomed to the heat. :)
    Do I need to upgrade the shocks when getting the VW/Eibach springs from the dealership or not?
    Nope.

However, if I were you, I would consider the H&R "OEM" style springs. They ride at stock height, but you can have them installed at your choice of shops, and probably end up paying hundreds less.

My dealership, as nice as they are, were charging around $500-600 for the VW/Eibach setup (including install)

I paid a shop $350 to install my springs, shocks, and struts, AND do an alignment.

So you might want to scope out your options.
    First, New German Performance is about 30mins. from my house and they will do any installs on my car because they're the best.

Secondly, I wouldn't take my car to a stealership for work like that if my life depended on it.

Third, aren't you suppose to wait 1000 or so miles before getting an alignment after you get new springs installed? That's what I always heard...
    I dunno. I was told that the car should have an alignment when it's dropped because it would wear out the tires more quickly.
    Wait about two weeks... the springs will settle in that time, and if you get an alignment right afterwards, sometimes it can change when the springs settle (speaking from experience here :P).

Vocus, how many miles are on your car?