Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• wcwagwcwag Member Posts: 19
    Thanks...appreciate your comment...makes me less anxious about what will happen next!

wag
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i agree. but the sad fact is, i would buy another VW. i just can't help it. if they made a pick up truck, i would be all over it! the more i see the Beetle Convertible's in that pale yellow/beige with black top, the more i like them. who knows, maybe in two years when the Cabrio is boring....:) a turbo Beetle convertible would probably feel like a HUGE step up from the Cabrio, luxury and performance wise.

what are you getting next? a tdi Jetta wagon? why don't you get a V6 Passat? don't hold a candle to the Accord/Altima HP wise, but they hold their value and are pretty darn reliable for a VW. plus, they are roomier for you. and they aren't exactly slow!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    According to State Farm, my car's not totalled. They said it was $4000 worth of damage. Basically, they are going to replace the seat covers on the back of the front seats, replace the carpeting and center console in the back, the headliner and visors, the entire insrument cluster, and the entire rear seat. They are going to 'meticulously' clean the carpeting, dash, and interior to get the smell out. They will also have to clean the ventilation system out, and the trunk, they both smell awful. This is only a preliminary estimate though, the investigator said it could get more expensive when they dig deeper. In addition, it would take a month or more to get everything for the car as well as put it back together. I will have to see what happens, as well as visit the dealership and go over the car with the estimator to make sure everything is replaced and just not cleaned, such as the wiring under the front seats that might be affected by the fire, as they are going to try to do. Also, they couldn't tell me for sure what started the fire inside, but they said the car didn't start on its own. Some investigators.

I spoke with the body shop guy who said about everything having to be replaced, and the contradiction between his estimate and the insurance company's. I am waiting for him to call me back with some sort of answer.

If they end up not totalling the car, it will be traded I get it back for something else.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    They'll try to spend as little of their money as possible. Also keep an eye on them so they don't try to stick you with used parts as replacements.

I'm with you on this one. If something like this happened to my car, I'd trade it in the same day I got it back.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee once upon a time. It was stolen and recovered and repaired, but it NEVER ran right afterward. I traded it in after another 11 months and 9 tows into the shop.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    sounds like your jetta is like a crippled horse and needs to be put out of its misery. state farm is being cruel to you.
  • rsk133rsk133 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 2001 GLS. Does anyone have good / bad experiences with its reliability??

Thanks!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    This "fire" keeps coming and going. The photos you've shared here don't show any fire damage, yet you say the dash is melted. I hear "fire" but I see only "smoke." Have they determined whether there was really a fire in your car or was it just a kid with a smoke bomb?

Meade
    PLEASE, don't go doing anything silly though. if you are upside down in your car still, unless you have thousands in cash, don't go getting yourself in another financial bind over a car! when my Civic was wrecked (a little over $5k worth of front end damage), it was brand new in less than two weeks. of course, they didn't have to basically gut the interior....

good luck. but again, remember the mistake you made when buying the Jetta. don't make another one, financially i mean! listen to your elder (turning 30 soon, haha), i have been there!!
    I read what you posted over on the Passat discussion about already having canceled the extended warranty on your car because of the potential that it would be totaled. Now that you've found out it's not totaled, can you get back into it, or will you have to purchase a new warranty?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I was of the mind not to put myself in a financial pickle over my Jetta. I took the plunge on a new car and I'm still trying to sell the Jetta. Oh well. Even if it ends up costing me 2 grand, i still think it was worth it. I enjoy every second in my new car as it has abilities beyond my skillset. 2k for fun everytime I turn the key? You betcha. If Vocus wants to go for something else, do it. We only live once, so why be miserable over money?
    i agree with your "live for today" philosophy, to a point. but Paul's payment is high now, and it seems like his job situation could be better. i am saying, don't trade a nice car in for another nice car. payment will be even higher unless he has the cash to make up the negative equity and have a decent down payment. he should at least buy used if he is going to get something else. then he will only be paying depreciation on the Jetta, not his new car too.
    Justin: I will decide what to do with the car when that time comes. Right now, they are 'tearing down' the car to see what else is wrong inside. In addition, I thank you for your advice, but I will pretty much do what I wanna do anyway with the car.

Meade: The seatbacks were melted, the instrument panel was melted along with the odometer and all the gauges, and I know the radio was blinking off and on when I saw the car last, which signifies an electrical problem somewhere. If they can fix the car right and not have any problems out of it, then I am all for it. But in most cases like this, the car's never the same. They are gonna shampoo the inside and clean the windows, but what about the smell? It's STILL in the car after sitting for 3 WEEKS outside with a window broken out! If they can get that smell out of the leather, the trunk, the dash, and everything else, then the car should be fine.
    sorry, since you are looking at other cars i already, i thought you were making some decisions now. forgive me. good luck.
    Got another call today. It's up to $6000. I feel like I am witnessing an EBay auction or something. All the airbags were smoke damaged and have to be replaced, from what I heard. I still don't trust that to be only $2000 more, since the Jetta comes with 6 airbags including the side curtains. Still left, they have to take off the leather from the seats and see if the seat frames themselves are damaged.

The investigator said my car has a cash value of $20,000+, not including taxes. I was surprised, even with 40K on a 2 year old car.

Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available...
    i think your investigator is smoking something because your car doesn't have a cash value over $20K. look it up yourself. you have a gls 1.8t with leather/17" wheels? correct.
    02 GLS 1.8t, Tiptronic, leather seats, sport suspension, GTI (16") wheels, sunroof. 39,500 miles and no other damage but the inside.

I looked it up on something called GoldBook where I work, and it says retail is $19,900 even with my mileage. State Farm uses something called CCC, that's what my agent told me.

I also don't believe $2000 to replace 6 airbags, especially when 2 of them are air curtains. I am gonna try to go see the car myself tomorrow and also get the updated estimates.
    We're waiting ...

Meade
  • houstonshiphoustonship Member Posts: 2
    My sister is thinking of buying a 2003 V6 Jetta.

Do they have as many problems as the 1.8T?

Would you purchase your car again if you could do it over?

Anything she should know?

Thanks.
    I'll sell her my used 2001 1.8T? :) j/k (don't remove my post moderator, please!)

Um the 1.8T's big problem is related to the coil packs which VW will replace at any time should they go bad. Beyond that my 1.8T never left me stranded. It just wasn't enough car for my tastes.

I haven't heard much that's negative about the V6. I must say though if she hasn't tried it, go check out an Acura TSX. A better car all around for nearly the same dough as a V6 equipped Jetta. Just my $0.02.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    The VR6 is a really nice, smooth engine, with much more low end punch then the Acura will have. The TSX will probably handle better, but I think overall it wouldn't be as nice of a car. (I am biased against Acura's though, I think they are rather boring)
    actually the one and only aspect of the jetta vr6 that's better than the tsx would be the low end torque. not that the tsx is torqueless at low rpms, it has 90% of its torque by 2000 rpms. the jetta vr6 costs less though, then again the FWD audi a4 is more comparable to the tsx.

if we were talking about the old 274hp vr6, then getting the 1.8t would be a no brainer. the 1.8t is probably still the engine to get though. plenty of power, good gas mileage and more balanced handling than the vr6.
    I agree with Venus. The GLI may be fun but it's not worth the extra coin to get a tad more power and a more unstable handler. spend less and get the 1.8T.

BTW, if she's looking to get a VR6 with Auto then the invoice price is $25,500. Invoice on a TSX is $24,600. Even if you can only talk 1 grand off the TSX's $26,900 sticker (which would mean you're bad at negotiating) you're at about the same price. And you get a car with more standard features and most likely better reliability.

BTW, when i was looking for a car the salesperson at an Acura dealer pointed to the sticker and said "nobody pays sticker for an acura unless they're a fool." That was the salesperson! She offered me 1k off the car before I walked away (didn't want an auto and wasn't in love with the car).
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I drove a 2004 TSX and a 2004 Jetta GLI back-to-back. I couldn't tell that the VR6 had more torque. They both were reasonably quick, but I thought the engine in the TSX revved much more smoothly with similar power down low. This surprised me.

There was one thing that was dramatically different in the two cars. The TSX has zero torque steer and a very unobtrusive traction control system that would subtly feather the throttle when accelerating out of bumpy corners. The GLI had noticable torque steer and the traction control system would kick and out obtrusively and make smooth driving out of bumpy corners very choppy.

There were some aspects I liked about the GLI, but to my tastes, the TSX was clearly beter built and the better performing car. The TSX felt like a brand new, cutting-edge design (which it is) while the Jetta felt like it was getting long-in-the-tooth and needed an overhaul (which it is getting in a year or so).

- Mark
    For once I agree with Mark!
    i think that comparing the Jetta and TSX is a little nutty. the RSX and GTI, sure. but the Jetta is a SMALL sedan, the TSX a family sedan. not as "family" as the American Accord, but still an Accord for smaller Europeans with the Acura badge on it for foolish rich Americans....:)

if i wanted a family sedan, i would take the basic V6 Passat. A4 front suspension = no torque steer :)
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    "I'll sell her my used 2001 1.8T? :) j/k (don't remove my post moderator, please!)"

That is not allowed on here. :P

Tisk-Tisk!
    think that comparing the Jetta and TSX is a little nutty. the RSX and GTI, sure. but the Jetta is a SMALL sedan, the TSX a family sedan. not as "family" as the American Accord, but still an Accord for smaller Europeans with the Acura badge on it for foolish rich Americans....:)

Um, Justin, go drive one. It blows away the Jetta in pretty much every facet. Straight-line acceleration may not be there but for the same money as a GLX one could get a superior car. Heck every option comes on the TSX and things the Jetta doesn't have like Xenon, IRS, handling prowess, room for 4 adults.

if i wanted a family sedan, i would take the basic V6 Passat. A4 front suspension = no torque steer :)

Who said family sedan? And BTW, for 25k you're getting a pretty stripped Passat. you're also getting a slower, poor handling porker.

Until you drive a TSX you're arguing from a point of ignorance.
    And honestly I felt like I was driving a honda again. The quality of the materials isn't as good as VW, and it was slow. You can't haul a family sedan around with only 163 lbs of torque.

It also drove like a big car, it is 186 inches - that is a lot. It is a different class of car however so a comparison to the jetta isn't fair, IMO.
    i don't need to drive a TSX to know that it is NOT a direct competitor with the Jetta. i did not say it wasn't a nice car. it better be for the price! i would hope it would spank the economy class Jetta in every respect except for price...

but, put it up against the Passat, same price points here please, and it is a different story. you can get a loaded GLX Passat for under $30k. acura can keep the xenon light and nav system....i will take my blue interior lighting and pretty exterior/interior, and proven reliability thank you. :)

but again, i would probably take a TSX over a JETTA. but i think everyone would. no brainer. i would also take an MDX over an Explorer though...different class of car.
    I've driven GLIs, GLXs, Passats and all manner of VWs hard. I'm sorry but the TSX's handling is light years beyond the Jetta's nose-diving, solid-beam rear axle setup.

At 3274 the GLX's weight matches up perfectly with the TSX. However the GLX can't handle nearly as well. The ride of the GLX is choppy and incapable of really delivering a sports sedan feel. On hard acceleration you will always get torque steer on a GLX - not so with a TSX. The interior is excessively cramped vis a vis a TSX. If we're talking MSRP's then the GLX is more expensive. And although this is subjective, every interior component in the TSX was superior to the ones in a Jetta. From the ergonomics, to the feel of the materials, the car is in another realm in terms of luxury, poise, handling, comfort, room and features.

The person came here and asked about V6 equipped Jettas. I simply pointed him toward a far better car on all levels that will cost as much or less than a GLX. Grumble all you want that they're in different classes (as if people don't cross-shop based on price), the fact is that VW's insanely high price point on the GLX puts it up against far superior offerings.

Justin, a Passat with V6, leather, Tiptronic, and stability control rings in at 29k and 26k invoice. The car still lacks many of the TSX's sport sedan equipment (17s for example, rather than cruddy 15s) or basic luxury bits (Xenon, dual climate control). And I'm not even gonna touch the Passat's wretchedly porky handling.

No nav listed by the way. Navigation systems on cars are insanely overpriced. 2k for an lcd, gps and dvd? That's about $200 in parts...max. Talk about a racket.
    a V6 Passat for $29k is loaded, 16" wheels. and yes, you are right, the Passat is not a car that handles as well (read: exact) as the TSX, but the Passat is not bad. and for the record, the only out the door $29k V6 Passat (not W8) has 4Motion, unless you are an idiot and pay sticker :) also, the Passat has exceeded Accord in resale value...the TSX doesn't even offer AWD. each car has it pluses, but the TSX is far from superior. it is a HONDA.

and of course the TSX has no torque steer - you have to have TORQUE to have torque steer. you saw that comment coming though, right? come on, you HAD to...

and lastly, lets get a little real here, you didn't buy a TSX, did you? ain't all that after all, is it? haha. :)
    Had I not scooped the deal on my BMW, I probably would have gone with the TSX. It was fun, nimble, loaded, comfortable, could fit actual adults and offered an amazing value. There's nothing else in the 20-30k range that matched it, IMHO.

After my 20 test drives or so I can say I gave most makes a fair shake. I'm an anti-honda guy but a founder at my company (a porsche owner) convinced me to try the TSX because he bought one for his girlfriend and loves the car.

BTW, I clearly pointed out the V6 passat with leather, tip and ESP had an invoice of 26k. Is that loaded? It doesn't seem so considering it still lacks many luxury features.

Jettas for 20-22k are great little cars (far above their traditional econo-box competitors) but once you break into the mid-20s you're up against a whole different group. It's not much car for 25k, IMO.
  • danny2003danny2003 Member Posts: 13
    Hello:

Has anyone bought a Jetta GLX in NC/VA recently? How much did youy pay?

Thank you,
    Danny
    Assume invoice or within $100-200 above or below that. Any dealer who won't go to near invoice doesn't deserve your business.
    anybody who has posted here with any regularity knows that blueguy is far from a honda enthusiast (that would be me). So if he's positive on the tsx, it must be a very good car. The car is rock solid.

If your going to complain about the TSX's lacking torque, you might as well think the Jetta's 1.8t is lacking too. Every body (even some published road tests) notices that the TSX peak torque is at 4500 rpms, but don't notice that 90% of it is available as low as 2000 rpms. You can throw in electronic throttle response and no turbo lag.

The Passat matches up more with the Accord than the TSX. Both the Passat and Accord have their own strengths. But, I will go for a v6 accord ex for the price of 1.8t GLS Passat any day though. The gauges on the new accord are a delight even if they're not Blue. The gauges on the TSX are awesome and even have Blue lighting.

The TSX just has a pretty interior in every aspect. The Passat no doubt has a well assembled interior with high quality parts, but the layout looks dated with not the best ergonomics.

Were talking about the some pretty darn good cars here that come down to personal tastes. Were not talking chevy impala or buick regal here.
    You are comparing a 24v VR6 (which is an expensive engine) to a 2.4L 4 banger.

That is why you have a price difference.

Basically certain people just look for certain things in a car. Each car (jetta and tsx) have their own strengths.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    #1 in my book is RUST RESISTANCE.

VW has a 12-year UNLIMINTED MILAGE warantee from the factory.

Honda does not back up their vehicles like that.

Lets compare the VW / HONDA after going thru 12 years of Vermont winters and see which vehicle will pass the state inspection.

I will even let you apply RUST PROTECTION to the Honda before we start this experiment ;-) (I have tried this too... the Honda still rusts into a flintstone-mobile)

Why 12 years? I takes me at least that long to save up enough cash to purchase the next vehicle 8-)
    i agree - a Jetta in the mid 20's is a little much. but really - i don't think you can get a jetta to cost that much. sure, you can get a loaded GLX, but again, i hope no one actually pays that much :) good little cars, in the high teen/low 20 range. can't beat em at that price point.

i am seeing so many of those platinum gray ones around here it is getting disgusting. used to be my favorite color on them...
    i don't think you can get a jetta to cost that much. sure, you can get a loaded GLX, but again, i hope no one actually pays that much

If you want the VR6 the best you're gonna do is about 23k for a GLI. If you can't drive stick then it's the GLX.
  • houstonshiphoustonship Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everybody for the good feedback on the v6 Jetta.

I will recommend to her that she at least test drive a TSX to see if it suits her.

Thanks again.
    that 2.4l engine is pretty sophisticated in itself. anyway, i don't think honda was using the four banger to keep the price down, but to save weight over the front wheels.

an i4 accord or 6 are not as fast as their v6 companions, but are more balanced cars. the penalty for being FWD.

houstonship: keep us posted on the car she eventually gets.
    has anybody heard from vocus and the status of his car?
    Sorry, been working double shifts at my second job due to a special project this past week.

I heard from the body shop on Friday, and they had sent the car for a thorough cleaning. They need to find out if the dash needs replacing or not, they haven't decided yet. They did start the car and put it in gear, and it wouldn't move, the guy said. Wonderful. He said it was probably becaue of all the stuff being disconnected inside, but that remains to be seen. They still have not done the 3rd estimate. Friday was 4 weeks.

The body shop guy also said all the parts were on order, and I should get the car back in another month or 2. Since they have to replace the gauges anyway, I am going to probably get the GLX cluster with the trip computer put in. It's about the same price as the GLS one, so why not? A little extra bonus for going through all this crap...
    if you get the glx cluster (MFA) you are going to need the new windshield wiper stalk to control the MFA, and I think there is some wiring involved. Not quite sure, but there have been a few posts on "the other site" about it.

- Anthony
    I am actually installing the Euro cluster pretty soon myself (its waiting for me on my bedroom floor). You do need the new wiper stalk, some wiring, and the temperature module. I assume this is all the same for the GLX cluster. For the money, you may want to look into getting the Euro cluster instead, it looks much nicer in my opinion. There is a great thread with everything you ever wanted to know if you run a search on the ever important TDI website not to be mentioned.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    too bad...Impex has specials on the Euro cluster for the TDIs only, for $400 with the related accessories to install.
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    Hello all! I just bought a used 2002 Jetta 1.8T that has the Monsoon stereo system. So far I like the car pretty well (I drive a lot of miles and was killing my new FX35 with too many miles).

The Monsoon stereo doesn't seem real great. Has anyone upgraded this stereo system in any way? I'm thinking new speakers, subwoofer, or some combination thereof. I don't want anything crazy, but just something with nice clean sound. I also don't want to spend a bunch. I'm spoiled in my FX35 (the Bose unit in that is absolutely outstanding - comparable to the Mark Levinson in the Lexus). I just would like something a little better in the VW. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I think the quality of sound is in the ear of the beholder, or probably more importantly, the pocketbook of the beholder. I have a Bose system in a Corvette Z06 and the words adequate and less come to mind. In a very real sense all factory units are compromises. I have the 2003 VW Jetta TDI GL, so the Monsoon is a "step up" from my unit and to me, it is adequate and less for an inexpensive car!
    I had planned to do this one, since the cluster needs replacing anyway (might as well get something out of this drama, eh?). They said it would be about the same price, but I would have to add the temp sensor and the stalk, which I knew. I started a post on 'the other side' about it already, so respond there if you would please.

To add to the list of replacements: Basically everything inside but the door panels and dashboard. The interior handles, visors, headliner, radio, stalks (I think), auto shifter, front and rear seats, and carpeting will be new in the car. Still waiting on a 3rd (or 4th, I have lost count by now) estimate on the car, still rests at $6000.

They said I might be lucky to get the car back by August or September... (insert tears here)...
    You might want to look into the wiring on the head unit (depending on how adept you are at such things), or have the wiring repaired at a VW dealer. Most Monsoon systems have the wiring for the drivers side speaker reversed, so you only get base out of the other three speakers. The sound should be greatly improved by simply fixing this problem, maybe even enough that you won't want to spend more money on a stereo. Email me if you want some more details.