Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    maybe it's a matter of perspective, but i had the same engine and transmission as you did and i started to notice engine noise at above 70 mph. at a 100 mph my jetta was downright loud (with road and wind noise also contributing). overall, a very quiet car for 99% of the time.
  • Options
    does anybody have the latest info on the next generation jetta? i know i just got a new car, but i'm always speculating about what my next will be (in about 14-24 months). i just start to get that new car itch.

this is what i know (or think i know) about the next jetta.

the back seat will be much roomier (big gain in wheelbase).

the rear suspension will be independent (no more beam axle).

it will look more like a smaller version of the passat.

the 1.8t will be retained but the vr6 moves to 3.2 liters with 230 hp. the base four cylinder will be all new and the tdi will offer significantly more horsepower while retaining great gas mileage.

if anybody knows anything more or wants to correct what i stated, feel free to do so.
  • Options
    cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Blueguy,
    You were right about the gas cap. I checked it and found that it was very loose, not off but loose.
    Thanks, :)
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    There is little more info specific to the Jetta than what you mentioned there. You can however find a ton of info on the Golf V on the main news area at www.vwvortex.com, there is a great article there right now.
  • Options
    thanks for the link. it sounds like the new jetta turbo will be bumped to 2.0l with 200hp and available with a 6 speed manual or a 6 speed auto. a 6 speed auto! that might reduce the turbo lag that plagues the current 5 speed auto.

i'm assuming that the new jetta (which will share the same platform with the new golf) will get the corresponding engines and trannys.
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    why wouldn't you take your new car to the dealer for a new headlight bulb? it's covered under the warranty. maybe it should be duh to you?

I dunno, I guess I just think a headlight bulb is something easy enough to do myself that I don't need to take my car all the way to the dealership. I changed a headlight bulb in my wife's car recently. It's not rocket science.

your comment about problems to complaints ratio is way off base. it's bad enough that a new car would have such problems but how the dealership dealt with the problems is even worse.

I counted THREE whole problems, none of which left them stranded anywhere or caused a dangerous situation. A headlight bulb, license plate fell off, and a funny noise? OH NO! THE SKY IS FALLING!! In the real of car problemsthose things quite minor. Are those things really worth getting all bent out of shape over? Bad dealership service is another thing, but when that happens, it's time to look for a new dealership.

Sometimes cars have problems. Trying not to freak out about the small problems will help people live happier lives.
  • Options
    don't forget the window regulator problem.

the license plate falling off is a minor problem. but to have the dealership charge you $16 for something they screwed up in the first place would upset me a tad. yes, i would take my business elsewhere after that and tell them to stick that $16 bill where the sun doesn't shine.

what do you do if the next dealership is 100 miles away? i guess you take it to a non WV service shop for non warranty items.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    No problem. It's a common "problem." ;)
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    the new Golf/Jetta base engine for the U.S. might be a 150hp 5 cylinder.
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    " Mechanically the Golf V has a revised MacPherson front suspension setup and finally a fully independent rear suspension structure. Transmission offerings will include a six-speed manual, six-speed tiptronic and six-speed DSG unit. Engine choices for U.S. cars should include an inline-5 cylinder as a base-engine with 150-hp and a 16v 200-hp 2.0l 4-cylinder turbo as the uprated engine. The 2.0T will also be the base engine in the next U.S. GTI model. The 3.2l VR6 will not be available at introduction, but will be shown at a later date. 4motion is reportedly in the cards for the North American market, but not initially."

From: http://vwvortex.rely.net/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_6- 5.shtml
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I always liked the way those sounded. Cool.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I am really interested to see the new Jetta design. I am sure it will have the same frontal look at the Golf V.
  • Options
    am really interested to see the new Jetta design. I am sure it will have the same frontal look at the Golf V.

Why, the current one doesn't?
  • Options
    It is also rumored that the TDI offerings will include both a 105hp and a 140hp 2.0 TDI.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    There are a lot of photos available on the internet... here is a sampling.

http://news.kak.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=news&file- =article&sid=871

pictures from the Netherlands.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~wvhart/golfV/golfV4.htm
  • Options
    Is it just me or does the Jetta look pretty much the same in those artist renderings?

Kinda like the golf Cab though...very much like a mini-MB.
  • Options
    Thats because those are just photoshopped off of the current Jetta...
  • Options
    I made that statement about the same frontal look for the new Jetta/Golf because I had read something in a car magazine about the two models sharing the same look.
  • Options
    I just called 2 VW dealerships and got quotes for the 20K service and they ranged from $225 to $295. That seems outrageous to me. I have a 2002 4 Cyl engine. Thoughts?
  • Options
    laurenjclaurenjc Member Posts: 2
    I am currently driving a 99 Jetta, which I got new. I have had problem after problem after problem...you get the picture; MOST of the probs. occured after the warranty expired (except for the airbag recall, window recall, sensor recalls, etc!) Other probs. include: Cupholder (had to mention that because it seems everyone has a broken cup-holder!) mass air flow system replacement, O2 sensors replaced (TWICE, interior lining of car, broken glove compartment (hinges snapped)...my most recent expenditure was $1,528 to replace the ENTIRE computer system of the car. Are these things NORMAL????
    Anyhow, wondering if anyone has any information about a class action lawsuit I could get in on???
    Thanks!
  • Options
    how can you sue VW for problems that occured after the warranty ran out? if that is case, i want to sue someone too! i want some cash :)
  • Options
    Just what we need, another lawsuit. Unless it's a safety issue, doesn't seem justified. I would say these things are not normal though the Jetta doesn't have the best reliability record.
  • Options
    mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    I share the frustration you're experiencing w/ your '99 jetta. I've had some similar problems w/ my '00 glx but not as many nor diverse as yours. Too bad we missed out on the 4 year warranties and neglected getting an extended warranty. Anyhow, Corporate VW monitored and paid for the repair of my jetta after I complained about the same on-going problem.

Contact their Customer Care Department over the internet. Maybe they can do something. Good luck.

As for the cupholder, I was able to fix that damn, flimsy, misplaced piece of junk myself.
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    I just had my 20K done for a 2002 JEtta VR6. The cost was $155. including sale tax. I live in PA.
  • Options
    Thanks dancerman:

I also called an independent shop called Geman Auto Works and they are charging $195.00. That is cheaper than the 2 VW quotes I got by $35-$100. Where did you get your car serviced?
  • Options
    Can somone tell me SPECIFICALLY what tasks are being quoted on here?

We may not be comparing the same activites between different dealers... and ESPECIALLY when asking an independent shop.

The 10K mile service at my VW dealership was $49.95
    for the folowing.
    *)oil change INCLUDING oil filter and the special synthetic oil that the TDI mandates.
    *)Drain water from fuel filter.

Now lets see a bulleted list of what the $20K mile service includes from each of the 'quotes' that people have priced above.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    http://www.vw.com/models.htm

Here is a good link. EXAMPLE 2003 Jetta TDI (20,000 miles)

Your NEXT Scheduled Maintenance is at 20000 MILES
    Items to be Serviced:
    Engine Oil - change
    Engine Filter - change
    Timing Belt - check
    Water Separator - drain
    Fuel Filter - replace
    Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
    Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
    Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
    Wheels - rotate from front to rear
    Air Bag System - check function/damage
    Battery - check electrolyte level
    Engine - check for leaks
    Pollen Filter - replace
    Cooling System - check level
    Transmission - check for leaks
    Tires/Spare - check condition
    Driveshaft - check boots
    On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
    Door Hinge - lube
    Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
    Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks
    Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate
    Road Test-check system functions during and after
  • Options
    Right on....that's the service I have been quoted for.....
  • Options
    lemonjetta13lemonjetta13 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Jetta POS was just diagnosed as having a bad master cylinder at the 30,000 mile mark, which is completely friggin' unacceptable. Two months ago I, like a lot of us, had to replace a rear rotor at 25K.

Has anybody here had to take their case to Volkswagen Customer assistance, and if so, what degrees of success have you had? I'm looking to find the clearest avenue to getting (at least) reimbursed for this master cylinder repair. If anyone has had any good fortune fighting the system and playing the game, I'd appreciate a little advice before I start making phone calls tomorrow.
  • Options
    OK... I have reviewed the list above

leaving out all of "checks" that anyone would do anyway; (so they can fnd somthing else to sell you!)
    It is basically;
    *)Change engine oil& Filter
    *)Change Fuel Filter
    *)Replace Pollen Filter
    *)Rotate Wheels (I would suggest BALANCING them too!!)

That is no more than $70 worth of parts and the rest will be LABOR. Figuring about $70/hour labor rate... It is not unreasonable for this to be a $200 service. (Which engine you have makes very little difference on these items.)

The pollen filter can be easilly replaced by virtually anyone. They are avaialble at several web sites and there are pictorial instructions on the web too. This would save about $50 off of the above.
  • Options
    tiridetiride Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a brand new '03 metallic platinum GLS 1.8T with every option available: sport pkg, monsoon, moonroof, leather. $22K. For those who care about such things my lease is 15K miles per year for four years with the window etching bs for $340 per month. I'm reasonably satisfied with the deal.

Two issues. First my ESP sensor went on the fritz the day I got it. VW has been super and is ready to fix it with a free loaner any time I can bring it in.

The other issue is that the car seems to be leaning to the right, My seat literally feels like it's lower on the right side. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    I cant see any reason why your seat should be leaning, definitely have them look at that.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    You had a problem on the first day? You must be kidding. This is why I probaly would never consider any VW product. Something like that is totally unacceptable, in my opinion. A friend at work has had many problems with her VW, a Passat, and is a bit unhappy.
    I hope this will be your 1st and only problem with the car.
    Good luck.

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    (Alex) With the vehicle sitting on a level surface. Use a Tapemeasure to measure each wheel well to the ground. each 'axle' should be the same. (ie.. both fronts and both rears should match) Front-to-rear may be slightly different.

The above will check the integrety of the suspension at all 4 corners.

If that is OK... then it is most likely just the seat that should be easy to repair or replace.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    If you read VWVortex, you will see all the issues that 'laurenjc' has had with his/her Jetta are normal problems (but the computer). The window regs, the 02 sensors, the MAF, even the broken glovebox, all common Jetta problems.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Check with VWoA about the rotor problem. I know a couple of people who got reimbursed for the rear rotor repair and a couple who got it for nothing.

If it makes you feel any better, I had an 02 that ate the back rotors at 30K miles. I replaced them at my own cost, and then the replacement set went bad too. My car was totalled, so I didn't end up replacing them a second time.
  • Options
    yes, they're normal problems. but to have ALL those problems afflict your car is not normal.
  • Options
    I read your list of 20K service items and noticed replace fuel filter. Only on the Tdi is the fuel filter to be changed. So, other than "checks": the only items that need to be replaced are cabin filter, oil & oil filter and rotate tires. I will replace thge cabin air filter myself. Why again is VW charging in excess of $210.00? I can get the oil changed and tires rotated for less than $50.00.

Any ideas where I can find the cabin filter for my '02 Jetta?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    www.vwparts.com www.germanautoparts.com and many other sources online offer OEM VW parts. Of course, there is always your dealer. National parts chains also offer some of the maintenance parts although some of them are special order.
  • Options
    Called my local pep boys and they have one in stock......I think it was like $18.00
  • Options
    Anyone had any luck replacing the cabin filter? I read the write on VWVortex.com.
  • Options
    laurenjclaurenjc Member Posts: 2
    You can try to contact VW of America by writing to or calling them.
    Address your letter to Gerd Klauss, he's the pres. of VW of America.
    3499 West Hamlin
    Rochester Hill, MI 48309,
    or call 248 754 5000...speak to someone about your problems, ask them to "goodwill" the repair of your cylinder. If they can't do anything for you, ask to speak to Sally Eberle (Gerd's secretary)...she may not be all that helpful, but she's the highest up you'll get in the US. (as a fellow lemon owner, I've contacted her many times!) I can give you her email if you still need it!

If you need it, I have his secretary's direct line
  • Options
    replacing the cabin filter is a 15 minute job. easy. just unscrew some screws, remove the black cover, replace filter, and be careful putting the black cover back on - you have to force it, but it feels weak, like it might break.
  • Options
    goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    How easy will it be to find a base GL w/ an MSRP of $17,675 with only the stability control option (+280) in stock on any given dlr's lot? Do alot of them ship this way or are most fully loaded in order to get the skid control? Thanks.
  • Options
    duckrun101duckrun101 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T and I am stuck with it.
    The engine broke down twice before I have 5,000 miles on the car. Now before the first year, the A/C has just been broken. I am sick and tired of it and wound like to know if there is someone out there sharing the same problem. I would like to know if someone would file a lawsuit against VW or to use the lemon law to get our money back.
  • Options
    Check your state's lemon laws. Whether or not this others want to sue is irrelevant to having your car declared a lemon.
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    My invoice says:

20,000 Mile Svc. - Oil Change / Tire Rotation
    and Brake System Check / Pollen Filter Change /
    Fluid Level Check - Battery, Coolant and Windshield Washer / Visual Inspect. Trans.,
    Engine & Drive Shaft Boots / Diagnostic Output Test.

Labor $92.40 Parts $52.70 Misc $1.55 Tax $8.79
    Total $155.44
    H.A.Boyd VW in Lebanon, PA
  • Options
    The difference in prices among VW dealerships is amazing and frankly sad. It is all about the mighty profit.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when VW will release photos of the new 2005 Jetta? I know the Golf photos have been released.
  • Options
    just add a trunk to the Golf in your mind :)

i am excited to see pics of the interior actually...haven't seen any of those.

my next sedan might be an EX-V6 Accord though...