Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Yes, you should get the airbag dummy light looked at. The dealer saying it is no big deal is not acceptable. It is your saftey and you should feel comfortable that if you get into an accident the airbag will deploy as designed. Take it to another dealer and make sure it gets fixed once and for all.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Please tell me you had a qualified mechanic look at this car before you bought it? Never trust the word of someone selling a car. Quite often if an airbag light is on it means that the airbag was removed, the wiring is bad, or it was incorrectly repaired. Get your car to a shop. I don't think you want to find out the hardway that your Jetta lacks an airbag. Or that it simply won't work.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    you want to make sure that the airbag doesn't deploy WITHOUT reason. that can cause an accident if you are driving and the airbag goes off.
    All in all, just get it fixed. The last owner seems to be either ignorant or deceitful. Hopefully the former.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks, i just returned from a dealership that sells both mazda and vw cars.anyway
    i looked at a mazda 6 that stickered for around 20 grand which was really nice and then i checked out the jetta gls 1.8 turbo
    for around the same price. i really do like the style of the jetta including the sweet sounding 8 speaker monsoon stereo system. but past problems regarding the jetta have me a bit concerned. are they still haveing problems with the windows falling into the doors, and the coil pack problems, and i was also considering a golf with the 2.0 engine are they still haveingproblems with the oil consumption or have all these defects been worked out for the 2003 model year. from what i have been reading on other sites they have not been worked out and if this is the case i might lean towards the mazda 6. it just aint no fun spending time in the dealership service lounge or being without my car for any significant length of time i dont need trouble. but again from what other vw owners have said trouble is exactley what i will be getting if i should decide to bye a vw car. i have worked the past 4 years working 2 full time jobs to save up for a new car about 90 hours a week so i want something thats going to be reliable. not just something that looks good like a jetta but have to sacrifice looks for reliability.
    thats why i am leaning towards the mazda 6, unless somebody can tell me otherwise.thanx
    you are really working the heck out of these boards with that post! :)

you can't go wrong with either car. some say the Mazda (being japanese, kind of) is more reliable than the VW. at this stage in the game, the Jetta will be fine. it might rattle (MIGHT), but the Mazda is untested/not real-world proven. i like the Mazda, and have owned two Jettas. very similiar intimate feel to the interior. the Mazda cut some corners (no rear headrests, weird feeling headliner), but the Jetta has a worthless backseat and no auto climate control unless you want to spend $25k.

get either car. don't worry about VW window regs or oil consumption. the oil consumption was a rare occurance on the 2.0 for MY 2000/2001. never affected the 1.8T.

if you are worried about the car leaving you stranded, well, it can happen on any car.

good luck!
    If it were my money, having owned a VW, I'd steer clear of the people's car. Quite frankly, they're poorly made cars and all the JD Power and CR stats back that up. The 6 had some growing pains its first year but nothing of the magnitude the Jetta has 5 years into its production cycle.

Also, the Jetta's in its last year. 2004 is it for this Mrk IV model. The V will arrive in 2005. Buying the last year of a model has pluses and minuses.

Bonus:

It's a known quanitity.
    Generally all the bugs are worked out (though the coil fiasco last year proves this isn't so with VW).
    You can get a great deal as end of cycle cars generally don't sell well.

Minus:
    It's an old design which will only look older when the next gen arrives.
    The value will plummet when the new design shows up.
    You're gonna be annoyed with all the neat features that new ones will have vis-a-vis your car.

If you're thinking small and fun, maybe you should look into the upcoming Mazda3. Stylish little bugger with crazy upscale features like nav, HID, etc.
  • mochalattemochalatte Member Posts: 12
    Thanks all for the input.

blueguy, yes, I did have a mechanic inspect the car. It was not listed on his findings though, that must have slipped by him. Frankly, I also didn't notice that when I first test drove the car. Only did notice it AFTER the payment was made and I was driving it back :)

Does it suffice to get the car to a shop, or should I get to a VW dealership?
  • prodigalsunprodigalsun Member Posts: 213
    Despite everything I said, drive what ya like!

Have fun!
    hi again, just a follow up to my previuse
    post here. i think its a good indication
    when you are viewing consumer reviews of a car that you are thinking of getting, and out of aprox 100 reviews almost have of those are negative reviews. on carpoint.com
    on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best,
    almost half of those were givein a 5 or less
    plus the horror stories that tell about their vehicles. dont believe me, go to carpoint.com consumer reviews, then click vw. i have never seen out of all the reviews of cars that iam considering getting, the most complaints regarding the jetta. with the 2001 model year being among the worst.
    its hard to keep a positive attitude about wanting to buy a jetta after reading such negative reviews. yes, maybe 10 or 15 out of the 100 reviews would be tolerable, but almost half!!!!!! sorry people i always go with the odds, and these odds tell me to stay clear of the jetta as do many of the reviewers on those sites.those odds are telling me that there is a very good posibility that i will have problems with my jetta should i decide to get one. odds are much better in the honda, toyota, nissan forums. sorry to be a party pooper here but you have to be realistic about it.steve
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Given your situation, I would stay with either a Honda or a Toyota and buy it USED on the private market (or auction) with app 10,000 miles on it. Not only will you avoid MASSIVE first year depreciation, but the previous owner will have already taken it to the shop to work out the almost inevitable new car concerns. You will also have the balance of the new car warranty.

Unless you are getting a 2003 TDI, which structurally bypasses a 2.0 or 1.8 engine oil consumption concerns, for the durability and mileage advantage I would tend also to stay away from the Jetta. Two areas of past and probably present concerns will be 1. replacing the strut/shock combination at 25,000-50,000 miles where in my own past experience Japanese cars do not need it for 50,000-100,000 miles. 2. "excessive"rear brake wearing from 10,000 miles-30,000 miles. These two "minor" things can set you back 200 dollars labor each occurence, not including parts. WAG on parts, strut/shock 250, brake system 250.
    steve - if you are basing your decision on consumer/professional reliability ratings, then why are you here? someone in 2nd grade could decipher those ratings - the VW stinks. get a Japanese car. tell us something we don't know! they have been saying that for years. but of course, CR rates the Passat as the best sedan....

i say, stop fretting, and go with what the publications are telling you. if you want to quote them, and believe in them, i guess i don't understand the problem here. buy the Toyota/Honda/Nissan, and sleep better at night!

at the end of the day, no one can hold your hand through this, you have to be an adult and make the decision you can live with.

congrats on your new Camry! :)
  • mvaldivimvaldivi Member Posts: 24
    Steve,
    I would be careful with that Mazdas-6 (or Ford-6?) decision. My mother had her '96 Mazda 626's transmission replaced 2 times already (Boy! She likes that damned car!), the rest of the car appears to be in good shape though. If you really like the mazda6, stick with the manual transmission. Or else, be ready to pocket out 3-Grands for a new transmission very soon. Good luck!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The 96 626 used the Ford auto tranny, they all had problems. The '6 uses a Jatco box, totally different story. I would bet more on the '6 than the Jetta even though the '6 is a new design.
    also, the 6 has a 50k warranty bumper to bumper. Pretty sure the powertrain one is longer...not certain.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    the 6 uses a Jatco tranny. Jatco is a Japanese transmission company and they make transmissions for other makes too. I know Nissan uses Jatco units.
    I am not sure it is appropriate to base a buying decision on a 2003 model on the reliability of a 1996 model. If that was the case, no one would ever buy domestic cars. My brother has a 1994 Mazda MX-6 and he has replaces almost all moving parts in that car except the engine. Most likely, newer Mazdas are built better than mid 90's Mazdas.
  • mvaldivimvaldivi Member Posts: 24
    I far as I know (well, knew), that Ford CD4E transmission was still used up to the '02 year model. But I hope Mazda got this one right with those "Jatco" trannies. I'm still not crazy with either Mazda or Ford. I believe their Q.C. standards have a lot of room for improvement. But mostly, we had a sour taste from their customer-service people. IMHO, they're completely useless, substandard, and rude.
    I'm currently waiting for an '04 Jetta TDI. Yes, VWs have some bugs, but it seems to me they're fairly workable.
    I believe their Q.C. standards have a lot of room for improvement. But mostly, we had a sour taste from their customer-service people. IMHO, they're completely useless, substandard, and rude.
    I'm currently waiting for an '04 Jetta TDI. Yes, VWs have some bugs, but it seems to me they're fairly workable.

Now that's funny. He's bagging on Mazda QC when VW has engines that failing 5 years after the darn thing was introduced. Window reg problems.
    Autoweek had that golf-based roadster in yesterday's edition. cool looking little car...too bad it's a VW.
    Blue is bashing VW? I thought that would never happen! ;) haha.
    in my opinion all vw cars including jetta, golf, ect remind me of the flintstones cuz once you bye a vw car you will wind up haveing to drive yours like fred drives his,
    with your feet!!
    Keep your day job!!!!

No wonder people come to this board and get scared away from VW's.

I got my car back from the dealer yesterday and saw numerous Rolls Royces on the lot. I asked them about it and they said they are a certified Rolls shop and they are building a rolls Royce dealer next to the VW dealer. I thought that was interesting.
    some of the statements here are priceless. who would have known that the internet was going to expose me to such intellectual giants??
    Prior to bringing my car in for an oil change and tire rotation, I changed the cabin air filter myself. It wasn't that difficult, but I did notice the quality between the VW/Audi filter and the aftermarket cabin filter. The original filter was better than the Purilator filter I bought. Does anyone know the price of a VW filter???
    $17 with coupon from VW parts desk.
    where do you get the coupon from?
    either the vw.com website or your local dealers website. around here, they always have a 10% off coupon...
  • crholliman1crholliman1 Member Posts: 1
    I am an owner of a new '02 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T. The car has been in the repair shop eleven times during the first year of ownership. The electronic control module has been replaced, the ignition coils have been replaced, and now all four tires are separating. I have file lemon law litigation with no success. I am writing to warn future car buyers about these problems that I have encountered with Volkswagen. I have been forced to purchase another vehicle. Buyers beware of Volkswagen products!
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Since your ECM has been replaced have you had any additional problems with that? The ignition coils is a known VW problem that has been resolved on newer models. Your tires? Those have nothing to do with VW. You most likely have Goodyears or Michelins. Besides those tires coming with your VW, how is that a knock on VW? Did you have to return to the dealer numerous times for the same 3 issues? Just curious.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Any "lemon law" I am familear with specifically talk about the SAME problem that has not been resolved after several repair attempts.

Having multiple problems that are unrelated does not qualify for a "lemon law"
  • shark13shark13 Member Posts: 9
    edmonds tmv lists the gls 2.0 auto w./leather and monsoon as a tmv of 18,592. that's 3,000 less than msrp, 1,000 less than invoice (prob due to the 1500 mf to dealer cash) does anyone think a dealer will actually go that low? with 1.9%, that seems like a good deal for a new car.
  • shark13shark13 Member Posts: 9
    i guess i answered my own question above. went today to look at a 03 gls 2.0 auto..no leather. tmv listed at $17,797. dealer offered 18,200. close, but they wouldn't move. she said because its the last gls and sure it would sell today. it may, but will she be the one to sell it? for a few $$$ she could still have made a profit.

the woman wrote down some numbers and said she was basing them off the invoice, which she had @19,672. i told her i had a different figure for that, and she told me that her numbers included a $300 port fee and other fees?, and even voluntarily got the dealership's handy invoice book and showed me other cars with this fee. i asked her to turn the page to the car i was looking at, and she looked right at me and rudely said "now why should i have to do that?" !!! i couldn't believe it! i jokingly said to her 'you don't have to do anything you don't want to" but come on..she was the one who brought the book out! come to find out, that particular car wasn't in the book because it 'just arrived yesterday' this car happened to be a 'swap' with a dealership in MASS. i'm in RI. how would she know the port fee if she can't find the invoice? these salespeople don't even know what they have on the lot half the time, nevermind the particulars.

not to turn this into a novel, but what i have a question on is this: where can i get info on these port fees. she said i wouldn't be able to find it on the internet, but i know that's straight bs. anyone?

was 18,200 still a good deal in peoples opinion?
  • rc7762rc7762 Member Posts: 35
    I am posting this message to express my experience with VW, I am in no way bashing VW (to each their own) but I believe when getting ready to purchase a new car one should read all comments good and bad, I failed to do proper research when buying my car and learned an expensive lesson. I purchased a 1997 Jetta GT and when I bought the car I thought it was one of the slickest looking cars on the road (I still do like the way they look) but I had nothing but problems, Exhaust problems at 40,000 miles, rubber body molding never stayed on (I still notice most Jettas for that year and older are driving around with no rubber body molding) Air conditioning system crapped out at 50,000 miles, the starter shortly there after and the clutch was slipping at 60,000 miles and at 65,000 miles the clutch was hangin on by a thread. (yes I do know how to drive a standard transmission I have only ever owned 2 A/T and my first honda had 160,000 miles when I sold it and the clutch was still tip top) I learned real that VW is expensive to repair, I dumped the car at 65,000 miles. I did most of my research after the fact and was amazed to learn that a lot of VW owners shared most of the same problems that I experianced, but what is even more amazing is that some people I talk to who own a VW (new and old) tell me that they have a lot of problems with their car but they still love it and would by another one and recommend one to anyone who is thinking of purchasing a new car. I am glad that those of you who own a VW are happy with them, and I hope those of you who are thinking of purchasing a VW have great success with them and also please take the time to do your research.
    In spite of the problems I had with the car, I still loved mine as well for the way it drove and felt inside. I didn't get another because I need something that's going to be reliable, not cost an arm and 6 legs to work on, and I also wanted better customer service.

Also, all of the MKIII (1993-early 99) VWs had problems with the body moldings staying on. Every time I see one on the road, at least one of the moldings is either hanging off the side or gone completely.
    I appreciate your response, I also was pleased with some aspects of my Jetta but the few things that I liked could never convince me to ever own another VW.
    no matter how good a car looks to me or how it drives, it simply is now worth the hassles of going through trying to keep it running or keep repairing, something that alot of vw owners have experience at. you want reliabilty shoot for a honda,toyota,ext if you must drive vw be prepared to deal with major reliability issues.
    I could not agree with you more!! that is why I went back to old reliable and purchased my second civic.
    I actually was in a local car club that helped me alot when needing maintenance on the VW at a cheaper price, but I didn't feel I should be giving more money to a company that is so lacking in their quality control and customer service areas.
    wow. what a loaded statement. just making sure here: you drive a CHRYSLER, right?

let us know how that works out. i think you will find that the disposable transmissions are pretty pricey too :)

i can't talk - i just dumped my third VW for a Honda. yes, i just entered my 30's....haha.
    So the cabrio is gone too? Replaced by an Accord EX? You change cars as often as liz taylor gets a new husband.
    the Cabrio was great fun. if you weren't needing to pass anyone or carry passengers. :)

i have come to the conclusion (a little late) that convertibles are best as SECOND cars. my next convertible will be a used Miata, base model. so glad i bought the Cabrio used...

the Accord is great so far. FAST. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Jetta...

The topic is the Volkswagen Jetta...

:)
    4 or 6 Cylinder?

It will be interesting to see how much faster the base Jetta will be when the car is redesigned. From what I have read it will be a more potent 150 hp.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Anyone interested in Justin's new Accord can catch up with him in, guess where, the Accord discussion!! :-)
    My question about the base Jetta engine still stands?
    the base Jetta for 05 should be an inline 5 cylinder good for at least 150. volvo has been doing it for years with good results...
    I would guess that that engine would make the Jetta quit a bit faster...
    The turbo moves to a 2.0 with 200 HP. tuners will probably ring over 240 out of that thing.

The one super bright spot in the Mrk V will be the indie rear suspensions!