Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    I dunno what kinda cheap CD players are out there but I've got several hundred CDs and about 30 burned CDs...not one skips. The only skip I hear in my current car comes about if I hit one heck of a serious pothole.

Cassettes...don't own a single one. In 1991 my favorite tape at the time wore out. At that point I converted to CD and sold off my tapes (doing the same with hellisly unstable VHS to DVD right now). Hasn't happened since. All of my CDs from that point until today work like new.

BTW, you can, if you honestly believe scratches make a difference buy a product to fill in scratches. There is no such product to fix a warped tape.
  • gggplayagggplaya Member Posts: 2
    I have no clue what your talking about with scratches in cd-r's. I own a 12x cd burner and i can make a cd in 6 mins. I had all my cd's stolen in my car once so i only use cd-r's in there now. The only time i get a skip is if i hit a pothole or railroad tracks.It only lasts a second.I rarely ever get skips.
    Your a load of crap and heresay. I bet you don't even own a cd-r to talk with. I download a ton of music from napster and as long as they are 128 bitrate quality, they will sound identical to your ears to a regular cd. I've got like 10 nice mixed cd's to listen to on my long trips. I even made a love mix for my girlfriend. It only takes me 10 mins to make a mix, that's including pointing and clicking on songs i want on it. It'll take you a year to make a crappy tape and then another year when that tape wears out.I treat my cd-r's like crap and i'm surprised they don't skip. (I use memorex cd-r's.)I just toss them in my backseat or in my center storage hole. So unless you've tried it, don't knock it. I have gotten rid of all my tapes because i saw the light.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    let's calm down a bit - you can certainly express your opinions, but please do so without bashing other posters. The Town Hall Terms of Use (see link in upper left) requires respectful and civil disagreement.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Member Posts: 66
    Mellis, I hear ya. Though I'm more interested in the VR6 power. After feeling the torque and smoothness of the engine, I was hooked and 201 HP is not bad at all.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    You're a tool! Oops, sorry, Pat Host. I withdraw that remark.
  • gggplayagggplaya Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to be so overly mean. I have this uncle who just always goes on about stuff and doesn't really have anything to back it up. He always thinks he's right. I just hate it when people blabber on and don't really know what they're talking about.SOrry to offend
  • hcornerhcorner Member Posts: 24
    >I dunno what kinda cheap CD players are out there but I've got several hundred CDs and about 30 burned CDs...not one skips.

Roninjouten, the burned CDs don't have any scratches, that's why. Scratch the burned and commercial press CDs and the burned ones will scratch.

>BTW, you can, if you honestly believe scratches make a difference buy a product to fill in scratches. There is no such product to fix a warped tape.

Good point.

>I have no clue what your talking about with scratches in cd-r's. I own a 12x cd burner and i can make a cd in 6 mins. I had all my cd's stolen in my car once so i only use cd-r's in there now. The only time i get a skip is if i hit a pothole or railroad tracks.It only lasts a second.I rarely ever get skips.

gggplaya, 6 mins to make a CD? That is a lot faster then putting a one hour tape together.

>Your a load of crap and heresay.

I am the type of person who listens to others, so, yes, if I share with you their experiences, it is hearsay. As well as if I say vinyl is still better then conventional CDs, that is hearsay too cause I don't own one vinyl record.

>I bet you don't even own a cd-r to talk with.

I have friends who do and they have let me listen to their burned CDs.

>I download a ton of music from napster and as long as they are 128 bitrate quality, they will sound identical to your ears to a regular cd.

You've got to develop an a ear for music quality. Try playing a song you bought at a high volume level on your CD player and then download it off the net, burn that and play it at the same level. I promise you, you'll hear a difference.

Though the burnt CD is still better then the tape.

>It'll take you a year to make a crappy tape and then another year when that tape wears out.

I agree cd-rs have advantages over tapes.

>I treat my cd-r's like crap and i'm surprised they don't skip. (I use memorex cd-r's.)I just toss them in my backseat or in my center storage hole.

Take your car key and scratch them up. Putting 16 layers of protection on a CD isn't just a lot of bells and whistles.

Though, with hope, the quality will get better and better and their will be more protection against skipping and everyone will own a CD-R recorder, even me.

The idea of creating mix CDs in a short period of time is very appealing to me, it's got me thinking, how much does it cost for a good portable CD player that has an adapter for car listening?

P.S. And thanks Pat for saying something, it removed the need for me to type my response in an insulting tone. Cause gggplaya would regret it, that's all I'm going to say.

;)
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    So...Anyone here have a Jetta? ;-)
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    1.8t...2001 5 spd, leather, s'roof...no monsoon, but added a Panasonic 8 CD Chgr (from Crutchfield). I shopped 8 dealers from Charlotte, to Greensboro to Durham to Raleigh....bought in Raleigh. I could not be happier! I've been a Toyota guy for yrs. so this was a GIANT step to go to German/Mexican. + Baltic Green is such a nice color! Good luck to all!
    BaronsDaddy
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    What color leather, which wheel and suspension packages, and did you get the Multi useful steering wheel? Inquiring mind's want to know.
    P.S. Glad there is another BalticJetta out there!
  • seanblueseanblue Member Posts: 17
    Hey everyone,

I bought a 2001 Wolfsburg Jetta 2 weeks ago and am noticing that the stick shift is not shifting as smoothly as the first week (it used to just glide into 3rd etc.

Also- when I release the clutch, the final realease makes a springing crunch sound...

I appreciate any feedback. This is my first new car, so I'm just not sure what is normal for "breaking in" the car etc.
  • newjettanewjetta Member Posts: 2
    Forgive me if this comes up twice! My Internet connection is not the best!

My dealer has the perfect car for me except NO MONSOON SOUND! QUESTIONS:

#1 What is the diff between Monsoon and the standard system? Not just technical diff but to the "enjoys a good thump/ doesn't HAVE to have the best avg. Joe"
    #2 Is it worth waiting a month to get my exact car in from the mfr?
    #3 Can I save $ by going to a stereo shop somewhere in town and have them install a system? Are there repercussions in terms of someone else (non-VW) messing around with the wiring.
  • newjettanewjetta Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether a new Wolfsburg needs an extended warranty? This is a purchase and I plan on having the car for 6+ years.

If yes, how long (ie. 5 yr. 75,000 mile) and where is best source?
    I had the same question before I bought my Wolfsburg.

My friend convinced me that the extra $800 bucks toward extending a warranty is just a roll of the dice.

If you take care of your car, and VW covers your maintenance for 2 years - you shouldn't expect any major problems, and then you still $800 bucks in your pocket.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    My Jetta has developed a rather annoying habit. If I am driving town or even just leaving my driveway, if the car is stopped and I put it in first gear and let the clutch out, press on the gas, the car shudders and hesitates, almost like its in 2nd or 3rd gear trying to go. This just started about a week ago, I am a bit baffled, I have had no trouble with the car at all. The Jetta has 4200 miles on it right now and I was very careful about break-in, the car didn't see the other side of 3000 rpms until well after 3000 miles. Anybody else have a hesitation in 1st gear?
    I felt a sluggishness in 1st gear last week, but I thought it was just me. I will check things out this week and let you know if I feel any more sluggishness with my Wolfsburg.

Are you driving a 1.8T too?
    Yes, I drive a 1.8T. Its a great car other than whatever this sluggishness is. Its weird that's for sure. My husband was driving it the other day and it did it, he looked down at the shifter to make sure it was in 1st gear and not 3rd. I will probably swing by the VW dealer and talk to Ed and see if he has any ideas.
    I felt a sluggishness in 1st gear last week, but I thought it was just me. I will check things out this week and let you know if I feel any more sluggishness with my Wolfsburg.

Are you driving a 1.8T too?
  • bmbakerbmbaker Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I'm new here...

I'm in the Eastern MA area...Cambridge to be exact...I'm looking at a 2001 Jetta GLS VR6 with leather and sunroof added...in either galactic blue, or silver
    Can anyone from the area recommend a good dealer?
    Also, what price range can I expect from dealers in this area?

Is the AM/FM Cassette CD Changer ready? Can I use my own CD Changer or would I have to go with the dealer installed one? Are there certain brands that I can't use if I go with my own?

Thanks for your help...I've been reading these boards for awhile, and alot of your comments have led me towards the Jetta :)
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    hey newjetta, i was like u, i love msuic and wanted a great stereo without going aftermarket so i wanted monsoon, but they coiudltn find one for me so i ended up witht he stock and in dash cd. the stock is very very good. for the kind of music i listen to, techno, club stuff, its got enough bass unless ure one of those people who like to break windows, and has very nice sound quality. from what i know, the monsoon is excellent and very clear crisp sound and is 200 watts, but lacks bass, but as a music lover, i think the stock with cd is a fine combo
  • amasciaamascia Member Posts: 5
    i have been experiencing the same problem with my 99 jetta. i also ocassionally have the problem if i quickly shift out of first and into second.
    ive brought my car to the dealership 4 times and they still havent fixed the problem after replacing all 02 sensors, cleaning the fuel system and replacing the fuel pump.
    has anyone had better luck?
    im getting really frustrated, mostly because i was almost hit as a result of my car not responding properly in first.
  • jetta143jetta143 Member Posts: 16
    This is just a thought, but do you think the hesitation could be caused by the ASR? I HATE ASR, because when i try to get out into traffic briskly, it always holds me back. Have you tried starting off with the ASR disabled? Like i said this is only a thought. Keep us posted.

Tyler
    Depends on what kind of music you like as to how good this system is to you. As for the Monsoon not having good bass, well it does not blow the screws off my taillights, but I also have the bass set at -2 and it gets plenty at that level.

But, I think what most people experience is that the road noise tends to cancel out a portion of the bass. Most owners that make this type of comment of 'just not enough kick' end up adding a small sub and get that 'kick' that they desire.

The nice thing about getting the Monsoon is that it was engineered for the car. I would not pass up on my dream Jetta just because it didn't have the Monsoon. It is an excellent sounding system, but you can do as well, and definitely better adding aftermarket gear for probably about the same price. I hear the upgrade is about $300 now.

One thing that puzzles me though is that so many people ask this question. Why not just go test drive a Jetta that has the Monsoon? Insist on one with a CD player and bring your own tunes.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I have spent some time on this topic over at the
    Vortex...

Bottom Line...There is No Way to replicate this
    system for $325...You probaly cannot even find an 8 Channel Amplifier...ADS, NAK, Alpine, are all 4Channel last time I bought an amp, and then you have to add the crossovers.

Best recommendation...Infinity has a new BassLink
    SelfContained, SelfAmplified System 10" system
    that is awesome...heard it today...check out this
    thread over at Vortex for those who want it all...Topic under Passat B5. I got a price of $400
    at Best Buy, and someone else found it for $225
    that vendor is probably *Out of Stock* though...Do
    I hear bait & switch???

Mexico site is GREAT!!!!
    Great input on the Monsoon there! Yeah, if you want to start a 30-50 post heated thread over at Vortex, just mention Monsoon. They get crazy over there. Much more mellow here, THAT'S for sure!!!
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I misspoke...Vendor with $399.95 price was
    crutchfield.com and not Best Buy!
    i don't know what asr is? i have a standard transmission, so does the potential asr fix still apply?
    ASR is the anti-slip regulation (traction control) that comes standard with the 1.8T, TDI, and VR6 engines. It comes with either the manual or automatic transmissions with these 3 engines. At least I think it comes with the TDI, I could be wrong there. I drove my Jetta in town yesterday and only noticed the hesitation a few times. Come summer I will turn the ASR off and see if that's the problem. Right now we have 6" of new snow (since last night) on the ground and I kinda like the ASR in slick conditions.
    i just have the regular 2.0l 4 cylinder engine. so i dont think i have asr. i will double check though, just in case.
    good luck with that snow thing. i feel for you.
  • downbylawdownbylaw Member Posts: 15
    the tdi does not come with asr. test drove a tdi and a 1.8t over the weekend and the tdi did not have a button for it.
    Ok, I wasn't sure if it did or didn't. I like my 1.8T, its a nice car. I had my Jetta out today in the new snow.......there's about 8" of new snow on the ground right now and its still snowing. Anyway, the Jetta did pretty well considering it had to plow its way out of my driveway.
    Jim (bluejetta)
    I was just looking at your webpage...
    I just thought it funny that you named your car Brooke...my name is Brooke and I'm a soon to be Jetta owner :)

what a coincidence! I do not know too many other Brookes...so what if one of them is a machine...

What are some jetta owners thoughts on this:

I can get a GLS VR6 with luxury, monsoon and cold weather packages for $20,999
    The only thing this is missing is leather...but I can live without that
    Is this a good deal?

Would you recommend purchasing the GLX over a GLS V6...I have had a few dealers tell me the GLS V6 is hard to find...especially with luxury and leather...which is ideally what I want...
    so, my question I guess is: is it worth it to spend $23,150 (that's a quote I was given) on a GLX?
    Or do you think the $20,999 for a GLS V6 with luxury, cold weather and monsoon is a good deal and I should snap it up...

I am having trouble deciding!!!!!

(it's especially hard since my two top colors, galactic blue and silver, are super popular, and there aren't too many cars to my specs...)
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    to get your silver jetta with a 2.0L with both leather and luxury. Drives good. Good luck.
    recommend getting the 4cyl so I can get both leather and luxury? Over a V6?

can anyone give me more info on the engines? what do you all like better?

I am sort of leaning towards the V6 silver with black interior GLS that has luxury, cold weather and monsoon...

but I haven't test driven one with leather yet...I just might like it too much when I do...

ahhhh!
  • wntajettawntajetta Member Posts: 12
    I know a great dealer in the Boston area. Talk to Steve Avellino at the VW Gallery group on Route 1--it's either Dedham or Norwood.

Just bought my White Wolfsburg, beige interior, moonroof, Monsoon, cold weather pack., in dash CD, side curtains for 20,400. I thought I'd miss my Toyota but there's no comparing! I'm so excited to drive it I've actually been early for work lately!!!!
  • silvertdijettasilvertdijetta Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I am the happy owner of a Silver on Grey TDI Jetta! Love this car. Everything they say about the TDI engine is true! It has plenty of acceleration and really moves. I can clip along at 70 mph all day. The new Jetta design is so beautiful! I get compliments on this car all the time. I highly recommend this car and engine to anyone!

For all you Pacific NW folks, I got a great deal on it at Rey Reece Friday VW in Portland. My salesman was Steve Burke and I paid $500 over invoice on this hard to find car. No haggling. We had the deal completed in 5 minutes.

Also went to Dick Hannah in Vancouver, WA. Those guys were jerks! They wanted $3,000 over MSRP for the TDI! My salesman at Rey Reece traded another less equipped TDI for my silver TDI that was sitting on Dick Hannah's lot! Now, that's a great salesman!

Bluejetta, in cruising your web site, I noticed that you bought at Dick Hannah, what was your experience? Would you recommend them for service?

This car rocks!
  • wolfinbluewolfinblue Member Posts: 11
    Have you considered the 1.8t engine? It may be slightly less powerful than the VR6, but I know I couldn't really tell much difference. I've got a Wolfsburg, though, so the manual tranny adds to the peppy ride. If you were to get an automatic, you would probably notice the lack of power. If power is something you are looking for, then the regular 4 cyl will seem like a golf-cart after driving a 1.8t with a manual tranny, and I would suggest you do not go that route.

Good luck in finding what you want. I was lucky. I found exactly what I was looking for at the first dealership I went to. I got a blue Wolfsburg with Monsoon, cold weather pkg, sunroof, and in dash CD for 20,700. I probably could have gotten a couple hundred dollars knocked off of that, but the salesman I was working with was outstanding, and I didn't mind chipping in a tiny bit more!
    bmbaker: Heheh! That's pretty cool. I've only known 1 or 2 Brooke's -- well, now 2!! The car, being a Blue Lagoon, is named after the star of that (pretty bad) movie: Brooke Sheilds! ;-)))

Anyway, I think that's a pretty good price on that car. If you want $3,000 worth of bells and whistles, then get the GLX. IMO it isn't worth the $$$ and it's just something more that could go wrong with the car in the future.

Silvertdijetta: As for Hannah, I got an awesome deal on my car...you just gotta know how to deal with them. They can be pretty funky to deal with. The sales manager brought us back in as we were getting back in our Accord (trade in) to drive across the river to buy our Jetta somewhere else! ;-)

Anyway, we have made one service visit to Hannah, and again, I give them two thumbs up. I had my Accord serviced with them for 8 years (bought in California) and never, EVER had a complaint with them at all.

-Jim
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    That sounds like a very good deal on that GLS VR6. I would imagine it is a 5speed manual (?) That will be one powerful car. I myself felt I had to have a GLS VR6 5speed until my brother from Boston hounded me to try the 1.8T. I was hooked on the smooth, clean quiet power. Thus I ended up with one with the leather interior as I saved on VR6 option. In addition, the economy of the 1.8T will be of course higher. 1.8t's also only come in the GLS @ this time so you would not be forced into a GLX and could afford to get some other goodies in your future VDub. Try it you'llikeit....!
  • lbihnlbihn Member Posts: 13
    People considering ANY new car should go to Edmunds home page, click on "Editorial" and then "Confessions of a Car Salesman". Rather lengthy, but at least you will know what you are typically up against at a dealer. You will likely feel sorry for the actual dealers knowing what is forced on them by the owner or Sales manager. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are honest dealers out there and they should make a decent profit. The consumer should know what lines to expect, however, so they don't get psychologically compelled to give in. I especially hate it when 3 or more salesmen surround you during the sale, trying to make you feel intimidated to buy the car.

SilverTDIJetta:
    Good move on the diesel. I am a proud 2001 GLS TDI owner myself, 16,000 trouble free, fast and furious miles. Love the Monsoon stereo too.
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    The 4 cylinder Jetta is the source of the company's current bad rep with JD Power. On the other hand the 1.8T engine is lifted from the a4 and it's known to be one of the best engines available in the world (thus the reason VW has it in the Beetle, Golf, GTI, Passat, TT, A4 and Jetta).

Compared to the VR6 the 1.8T wins too because it's lighter, thus less nose dive in corners, and it's very easy to modify. With $500 one can turn a 1.8T into a 200 hp, 240 lbs-ft of torque little monster.

Drive the two cars hard back to back and you'll see the 1.8T runs about equal in stock form to tne VR6 and it's cheaper.

BTW, still no Jetta for me. I've got an offer of 19,950 for a Wolfsburg with moonroof, monsoon and but warmers but I'm still longing for a GLS with leather. Only two with leather, sports package and 5 speed in So. Cal and they're the wrong color. Argh!
    Thanks to all of you who gave me your input...

I'm going to do some test driving this evening, and I'll definitely drive the 1.8T.

I will call the sales guy I'm seeing tonight and ask what they have in the 1.8T...I know he's got some wolfsburgs in my color...

I'm so excited! woo hoo :)
    woooo hoooo! I am a proud owner of a new Jetta!

I test drove a bunch tonight, pretty much knew all that I wanted anyway, just wanted to get behind the wheel...

I purchased a silver GLS VR6 with black cloth, monsoon, luxury and cold weather. It was between that and a galactic blue wolfsburg...but the wolfsburg had tan interior, and I wanted something dark...
    The GLS was only $600 more and they were offering 5.9% financing on the GLS, but not on the wolfsburg. So, the interior, the awesome V6 (I was in love after the first .001 mile!), and the lower financing made me go for the GLS, and I could not be happier! I pick it up on Friday!

I ended up getting it for $20,999 (not including tax, title and reg)
    The finance guy looked at my price and told me that I must have been born a negotiator...said I got myself a good deal :)
    Well, Brooke, you sure don't let moss grow under your feet now do you? ;-)

Congratulations! Now you'll have the Jetta Perma-Smile. You'll have those moments when you come back from a drive and you just....just gotta look outside, or in the garage, for one last look before going to sleep. All in anticipation, of course, for the drive you have planned for the next day!!!

-Jim
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I just took my Jetta to Flow VW in Winston-Salem, NC for the 5K service. They gave my an identical car to mine....except it was 2.0/Auto...Mine is 1.8t/5Spd. When I started it, it sounded like a Cavelier/Sunbird. Coarse sounding and no where near the umph of my car.
  • ggeckoiiiggeckoiii Member Posts: 17
    I was told by a sales person this was impossible. I guess it is not. I guess the next question is, just how rare is a VR6 GLS without leather? I would also like it with sports suspension. Perhaps, I can't have sports suspension without leather?
    Read Brooke's post: #1196. Kinda nips that impossible theory right in the bud!

-Jim

• afryarafryar Member Posts: 50
    I picked up my GLX at Boston VW (In Allston/Brighton). Got a great deal and they were easy to deal with. My salesmans name was Jay something, younger guy. Anyways, I went to Wellsley VW and couldn't get anything remotely close to what Boston VW was offering. I really liked the people up in Bedford (Minuteman VW) but when push came to shove, i.e. dollars and cents, nobody could match Boston VW. They've been around forever too so service is good. Good Luck!
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    My 4 cylinder 2.0l works just fine for me. Its nibble and fun to drive. Besides, here in Miami (with stop and go traffic) - you don't need so much power and on the highways - the cops are always giving speeding tickets. So, I am happy with my car and it has all the speed I need. Its quite too, not the noise I expected from reading a few reviews. I guess you can't believe all you read.
    I agree, flaca. There's nothing wrong with the 2.0. She gets me up to 80 just fine, thank you. I test drove a 1.8T WE and was surprised at how much power it didn't have off the line. It definitely pulls much harder past 4000 rpms though, but I was not that impressed at all. I'll have to try the VR6 one of these days, but I'm happy with the 2.0.

-Jim