Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Am I legal as far as the requirements go? Will I slowly have motor damage? The source of the fuel has been reliable and I used it primarily in my previous OHC V8 Ford engine with great overall economy and performance. Any feedback... Any one?
  • Options
    obmotobmot Member Posts: 61
    I read in one of the car mags a few years back an article about premium gas. The upshot was that virtually all car makers recommend "premium" fuel for their cars. This is to abate any performance issues, as the manufacturer can ask "have you *always* been using premium fuel as suggested in the manual?"

The article went on to discuss the performance and durability issues, noting that exceptionally few cars (top end corvettes, ferrari's, porches, lotus, lambs, etc.) had any perceptible changes when standard gas was used. Moreover, (and I've noticed this here in Texas where people are exceedingly cheap), as gas prices go up, fewer people use premium gas and hence it "stagnates" in the underground station tanks for a MUCH longer time. The result is often that after sitting for 6 months, a station's "premium" gas is actually a lot worse due to condensation, etc. than standard gas that gets refilled several times a week. Once I saw "premium" gas come out of a Chevron station hose that looked like yellow cloudy urine - definitely NOT what premium gas should look like.

So, keep in mind that what someone says a car 'needs' often is not, and furthermore that the replenishment of a particular grade of gas at stations probably correlates inversely with current prices (remember, whining Americans driving USS Excursions feel that they "deserve" gas @ $1 a gallon and that $2 is outrageous - and hence won't pay it). Nothing makes me smile more than some poor sap filling up his Burban' or USS Excursion for >$70 - sometimes I wish gas would even start to *approach* prices paid in the rest of the western world so that we would have a reality check (Jetta drivers notably excluded from this categorization).
  • Options
    roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    A few years ago a fill up in San Diego of lets say 10 gallons would cost me about $10, while premium would be about $12. That's a 20% price hit for higher octane. Ouch!

Fast forward to 2001 and I'm paying $19 for 10 gallons and $21 for 10 gallons of premium gas. Suddenly the premium is only 10% higher than lower grade. Heck if you've spent 19, an extra $2 is nothing.

Point is, if high gas prices are the norm, then premium gas actually becomes a more realistic, if not better value to performance trade off.

BTW, I can feel a difference instantly by the gas.
  • Options
    nuridenuride Member Posts: 19
    I keep hearing different stories and opinions on these two engines. I heard that the 2.0 is a better engine than the turbo, as well as cheaper on gas and repairs and insurance, is this true?
    I am so totally confused, I was looking for a 1.8tw leather,luxury and automatic. I was told to forget it because it is no longer being made. Are turbos really that much trouble in the long run? Will i regret getting the 2.0? I tested the vrs and its too fast for me and too expensive Please advise!
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    My experience so far with the 1.8T has been excellent, no problems at all. My car is almost 3 months old and has 6400 miles on it. Its peppy and gets great fuel economy. The 1.8T is a pretty bullet proof engine and known for its reliablily, its been in the Audi A4 since 1994. This is my second Jetta, I had a 94 Jetta GL that I bought used in 1997, it too was a good car, just not as good as my 2001. It was a 2.0 and hadn't had an easy life, but was fairly reliable all things considered.

As for regretting buying the 2.0, well that's all personal preference I think. Its a peppy engine, but after owning a 1.8T it seems like a dog to me. I rented a 2.0 Jetta when hubby's truck was in the shop, I couldn't wait to get home and get my 1.8T Jetta back from him. On the other hand, I used to love the 2.0 in my 94 Jetta, it seemed like a very quick car. So, like I said that's just personal preference. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    obmotobmot Member Posts: 61
    There are tons of 1.8Ts with leather/lux/automatics here in Houston, though not in the silver at least since last time Ive been on the lot. Lots of reds, greens, blues.
  • Options
    wntajettawntajetta Member Posts: 12
    WELL STATED!
  • Options
    baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    ....i have the 1.8t with non-monsoon and bought my CD changer from Crutchfield. I had to also purchase an adapter for about 50.00. I bought the Panasonic 8 CD changer. And the steering wheel controls work with it also. You may ask, "there are only 6 buttons on the stock head unit, so how do i play CD's 7 and 8? To play "7" press 5 twice and to play CD "8" press 6 twice. But they will not function if you don't have CD's in slots 5 and 6. At 8800 miles, I cannot find anything to complain about, except people staring at me when they hear the turbo's whistle. SWEEEET!
  • Options
    uofmich1uofmich1 Member Posts: 18
    Hey all, I'm new to this board. I've been playing on the bmw 3-series board a while now but thought I'd jump in here with my 2 cents. I have a 2001 bmw 325i and a 2001 VR6 and I must say, although I adore the bmws ride, the jetta is AMAZING for its price. You get 95% of the driving fun for 65% of the price. My question to all of you is: What are my options as far as the audio goes in the jetta. Mine DOES NOT have a monsoon system, I was hoping to go aftermarket on my own. Any general tips woould be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    The 2.0 is an archaic engine that has numerous problems and many VW mechanics and some magazines blame for the vehicles bad repair record.

The 1.8T on the other hand is a work of art. Respected across the globe. Well documented to be rock solid and easily modifiable. Audi/VW put it in the A4, TT, Passat, Golf, GTI, Beetle and Jetta. That's a ringing endorsement. Audi A4s(the car that's had the 1.8T the longest) are viewed as excellent in reliablity with that engine.
  • Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    If you weant to learn what people are putting in their VW's for audio, go visit the audio forum at VWvortex. There's a lot of kids there, but also a lot of serious tuners.

As for the bad press on the 2.0, it actually has a very good reliability record. It does have some bad press because of a bad batch of rings, hence the oil burning issues with some engines, but it has a very solid reliability history recorded.

Personally, from what I have read on the boards, the most complaints come from VR6 owners, and then #2 is the 2.0 oil burning issue, and then the kids always are whining on Vortex, but that's because they're tweaking their 1.8T engines pretty tight and in most cases, not tuning it properly.

Nevertheless, this is one fun car! That, I think, we all can agree on. ;-)

-Jim

http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • Options
    mary1421mary1421 Member Posts: 8
    DOes anyone know the style of the alloy wheels that come with the luxury package? I am looking to add these on to my car, but I can not find the exact name of the ones that I see everyone driving around with. They appear to be both 5 and 6 "spokes". Any help would be great! I am looking to only buy VW parts, so please only suggest those to me!
  • Options
    eclipsegseclipsegs Member Posts: 66
    To all who want a new Jetta now....WAIT! The increase in power in both engines is worth it. Not to mention the additional options.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    There will be no change in the motor for the 2002. There is delayed introduction on the indash CD player. Get your 50MPG Jettas now.
  • Options
    silverjetta1silverjetta1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just purchased a 2001 Jetta with the standard 15" wheel covers. With the money we saved on the car (it was a demo) we were hoping to purchase a set of the 17" vw siata alloys (those that come with the sports package). We were told by the salesman that the 17" rims would only fit on the jettas with the sports suspension and that fitting the normal suspension with these upgraded wheels would cause problems. I'm a little unsure as to the accuracy of this and would appreciate any feedback. We do want alloys and definitely like the looks of the Siatas. Thanks!
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    CJ...It is always embarrasses me when customers are told things
    that are so totally absurd...Your salesperson has absolutely no idea
    what he is talking about...he is probably more knowledgeable about
    nuclear physics...

You can refit your new Jetta with upgraded wheels & tires and it has
    nothing to do with the Sports Suspension Package...

Your best bet is www.tirerack.com This site will enable you to look at
    a large variety of European Wheels & every tire combination you can
    think of, and most importantly, what you will see will have the correct
    *fitment* for your new Jetta...you will find the definition of that term there
    as well.

Volkswagen makes great cars, but in terms of value & quality you will be
    better served looking at the offerings from the largest, and probably the most
    well respected retailer of aftermarket wheels & tires...The TireRack.
  • Options
    kfricemankfriceman Member Posts: 17
    2001 Silver GLX 5-sp, suspension and wheel package, multi function steering wheel. cd-changer, all for $24,500 @ 5.9% financing. I've been shopping around for 1.5 years, look at BMW, Audi, Acura, Volvo. The Jetta was the first I drove and ultimately the one I bought can't beat the performance to value ratio. Saved 10 to 15,000 and have a car that runs competively with the rest of the afforementioned. Anyone interested, it will be for sell come first quarter next year when the new V6 becomes avaialble.
  • Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Just F.Y.I. The 17" wheels on the sports package from the factory are actually called "LONG BEACH". The Siata wheel in the little VW brochure looks very close in the pic. I closely checked this out myself as I have the factory 17" on my GLS 1.8T. I believe the spokes are slightly flatter & leaner in width on the Siata vs. the Long Beach. The Siata though, is a sharp alloy. I know an OEM alloy cost for each LongBeach is about 300 bucks.
  • Options
    jemmyjemmy Member Posts: 6
    Hello, my name is Jemmy.
    The last time I posted a message, I asked for people's opinion about Wolfsburg and the price I was offered. Thanks for the very informative suggestions, I'm now a proud owner of new black/black WOLFSBURG... =)

hmm... sort of happy. Frankly I really LOVE my new car. I had it since last friday, and it's been a GREAT driving experience, I just couldn't stop smiling.. and driving (I guess you guys know the feeling).

But it happened monday morning when I was driving to work, about 5-10 minutes I started driving, I noticed one of the light flashing for about 30 seconds, then it stop for a minute, and then it continued flashing for another 30 seconds, then it stopped. I was so furious, upset, sad, and mad, but I kept driving and praying that the engine would not die on me. Once I got to my office, I quickly opened up the manual and found out that it was the MIL (Malfunction Ignition Lamp) that flashing.

This morning I put my baby in the service, I couldn't believe that I have to drive and leave my WE for day-service on the fourth day I got it, and they won't loan me a car. =(

anybody has any of those experience? is it bad? any comments, suggestions, etc... hope you feel for me.. I will keep you update tomorrow.

sincerely,
    Jemmy
  • Options
    gimletvwgimletvw Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Jetta GLS with the VR6, sport package (luv the 17" long beach rims), black leather, cd changer, upgraded steering wheel w/ ctrls, and curtain airbags in silver arrow metallic. I love the car. It killed me to have to buy it now with the new engine coming out but I really had no choice with the deal they presented me for getting out of my current lease (a problematic '97 jetta GLX fully loaded). I chose the GLS with the upgrades because I HATE WOOD GRAIN!!!! I cannot express how much I HATE WOOD GRAIN! Anyway, I dont care about losing the autoclimate control but I would liked to have had the fog lamps and the rear window shade. Does anybody know if I can just add the fog lamps? or do I have to replace the entire reflector and more? And how about the rear sunshade? Can I just add that or do I need to replace the entire rear sill? One more question...I DONT HAVE A CUPHOLDER IN THE REAR SEAT. I raised cain for an hour with the dealer and showed them that other jettas had a rear cup holder but mine didnt. We found another jetta GLX that also did not have it. They said that it might have been eliminated in more recently constructed vehicles. In order to get one theyd have to replace the entire middle console. Isnt that crazy? Not a deal buster but just irked me a tad.
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    I don't have rear cupholders either. Maybe it has something to do with the leather. I dunno. But people here thought I was crazy or blind when I wrote about this situation. Hope this is all we have to fret about.
  • Options
    jemmyjemmy Member Posts: 6
    Here's what I got from the service.

After they did some computer check, the service told me that nothing's wrong except the manufacturer or the dealer I bought from (I put the service in different dealer, closer to work place) put in the WRONG OIL type, instead 10W-30 they put 5W-30 which is too THIN (?!?).

Please comment about the OIL and its effect to MIL light. thanks!

Sincerely,
    Jemmy
  • Options
    2001jetta2001jetta Member Posts: 10
    Just arrived back home from Mexico. Whats up with the other types of VW there. They have a couple different cars, a VW truck(looks like a Jetta) and of course the old beetle is still being made. The truck looks really coolm why isnt it in the US?
  • Options
    Jemmy......I am not sure what oil my Jetta came with but I do know that at its 5000 mile service the dealer put 5W-30 in it. The owner's manual recommends 5W-40 but said that if 5W-40 isn't available to use 5W-30. My Jetta has 6500 miles on it and I haven't had any problems with it. I can't imagine the oil being the problem, that sounds like the dealer is throwing out excuses. If the MIL keeps coming on I would take it to another dealer. I am fortuanate that the only dealer in my area has a great VW tech, he is very smart and a really good guy. Good luck.
  • Options
    Ignition and oil don't even go in the same sentence when troubleshooting. Your dealer is feeding you a line. And Jolie's correct on the oil specs there. ;-)

-Jim
  • Options
    caraddictedcaraddicted Member Posts: 3
    What kind of lease deals have you guys gotten on a GLS 1.8T with Luxury & Leather packages? I'm not sure weather to lease or buy so I'm curious. I also think I may wait until 2002 when the CD player comes stock and the hp jumps to an unpublished 180hp! :)
  • Options
    afryarafryar Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2001 GLX (with rear cupholders by the way...) anyways, it seems like the car is absolutely loaded, from the passenger side mirror which angles it self down to point at my rear tire when I'm parallel parking (spooky but cool as hell) to climate control, sun shade, memory seats, etc... why does this car not come with Xenon headlights? Even as an option? Is it because they don't want to tread too deep into Audi's water? Soooo, my question is, can I upgrade to Xenon headlights in my GLX? I've heard that they need their own power supply as they're so strong but I'm thinking there's got to be an aftermarket kit. Those headlights are incredibly annoying if you don't have them but after driving a car with Xenon headlamps, anything else is like driving with no lights on at all. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    Think $$$$$$
    VW had planned on adding them to the Beetle GLX, but the replacement cost, I
    have heard $500 for a MBZ...one only, was too prohibitive....
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I read in the manual that a MIL light on while driving could indicate damage to the catalytic converter. Drive at reduced power and have the problem fixed ASAP.
  • Options
    aruiz1aruiz1 Member Posts: 1
    I have '01 VR6. Auto. I hit the gear shift (barely touched it actually) and the car shifted from DRIVE to NEUTRAL. Has anyone else else had problems with the transmissions?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You just hit the selector from Drive to Neutral by accident. I have done that before by accident. There shouldn't be any problem from doing it.
  • Options
    On most floor mounted shifters, you do not need to depress the button on the shift handle to move from Drive to Neutral, so it's easy to do that by accident - no malfunction!
  • Options
    Well, after 3 months of pretty much trouble free driving, my 01 GLS 1.8T has decided that it doesn't like to start. I have had problems off and on all winter with the battery going dead but now it doesn't want to start even after being driven 7 miles and shut off. I would think the battery would be fine by then, but NO it clicks and then I turn the key off and back on the car will usually start then. Now I have to try to convince the dealer that something is wrong with the battery......hmmm, that will be like pulling teeth.
  • Options
    Sounds more like an alternator problem to me...

Do you have a bad relationship with the Dealerships Service Dept. 90 days
    into this? If so why? You have a B2B that covers everything...try thinking that
    your cup is half full, rather than half empty...and smile! It will be fixed...OK?
  • Options
    No, I don't have a bad relationship with the service department. I used to work at this dealer in sales, and I have bought 4 vehicles there, 2 Nissans and 2 VWs. I know everyone, but they are very reluctant to replace something if they can't verify the problem. So, in light of that with the Jetta being the way its being right now, I am having it towed to the dealer today. Unfortunatly, they only have one VW tech and he is on vacation but will be back Monday. I would rather the car sit at the dealer then sit here, either way its not all that trustworthy at the moment. Other than the battery going dead at will the car has been wonderful, no regrets.
  • Options
    synistyrsynistyr Member Posts: 8
    So got my cable from Crutchfield. Yes the cable (part #: #469VWPCPN8) DOES work with the 2001 Jettas w/ a NON-MONSOON system and the 8disc Panasonic DP-88U changer, contrary to what I was told by crutchfield on the phone.

And yes, don't forget to pull out the little plug on the end of the OEM cable.
  • Options
    ksenatorksenator Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone out there own the new Jetta Diesel, I'm thinking of buying one but would like to hear from a current owner on preformance and mileage with the manual trans
  • Options
    Thanks, synistyr for that update. It's nice to know that my webpage: http://www.geocities.com/bluelagoonjetta/cdchangermod.html was correct after all. In fact, a lot of the info on my webpage came from an email from them!

-Jim

• Options
    ajwhite72ajwhite72 Member Posts: 8
    Check this site out >> http://www.pgperformance.com/main.htm

and click on the "European Spec Lights" link

You can't add just the fogs to the GLS headlights, your best bet would be the Jetta 4 Euro Headlights w/ Fogs ($535 US) on the above site. You not only get awesome foglights but also the european spec headlamps that by all accounts are many times better than the stock setup. Also these come with the Euro switch, so you can drive with the city lamps on (headlamps just glow, but don't throw out a beam), or just your fogs and parking lights. =)

By the way this site also sells a HID conversion kit but it is mega bucks! $2660!!

By the way my 2001 Galactic Blue GLS 1.8T has just 600 miles on it...I'm in LOVE!!!!

• Options
    I've been through 3 tanks of gas recently (all purchased through the same vendor). I got 25, 29, and 24 mpg respectively. On the 2nd tank, the needle didn't break from the full mark till about 100 mi. on the trip o-meter! And at the half-full mark, I was showing 200 mi. This last tank, the needle stayed on full close to 100 mi. again, but dropped faster to 180 at the half mark. What gives? Doesn't seem like the guage is reading well to me when it always used to read pretty consistently.

Granted, on the 2nd tank, when I saw I was at 200 mi. and half left, I drove pretty sedately to see how far I could go. This last tank, I was back to racing again. But the driving conditions were pretty equal across all three.

Today, I filled up with 93 Octane at $2.05/gal! Ouch!!
  • Options
    vw_vrooomvw_vrooom Member Posts: 4
    Just came back from the dealer and I'm closing in on purchasing a White Jetty Wolfsburg. What stopped me was that I thought dealer could come down a bit on his price. I saw an earlier post from wntajetta who purchased the car with practically the same equipment for $20,400 but I was not sure if it included everything. Hence, I need some help. The price the dealer gave me was:

$20,433 = Wolfsburg + Monsoon + Cold Weather + Side Air bags + dest. Fee but NO CD. (Invoice = $19,723 inch. best ????).

OR

$19,512 = Wolfsburg + Dest. w/o any extra
    equipment (invoice = $18,400 incl. Dest ?????)

I think their profit is still $500-$600. Does anyone know if this is a good price ?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    plugbugplugbug Member Posts: 27
    I'm thisclose to buying a 2001 Jetta VR6, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the best deal. I'm going galactic blue, automatic, luxury, cold-weather (is this useless?), side-air bags, and monsoon. The guy is quoting me $22,250. That seems pretty good based on what else I've seen, but does anyone have any thoughts here? Am I getting taken here?

Also, it seems there've been some pretty strong negative words against the VR6. Should I be scared?
  • Options
    19,500 for a loaded Wolfsburg seems reasonable, that's including destination charges, right? I received an offer to sell of 19,300 destination charges included for a wolfsburg with everything but the seat heaters. If you want the guy's email address in CA, let me know. He was very helpful - and with the economy plummeting most dealers will sell really low. But I pass on the WE....more power in 2002 and I can get the normal 1.8T with the very important leather option.

As for gas gauges...I've never had a car with an accurate gauge. I always fill my tank completely and thus rely more on distance for around town. At 280 I "know" i've got 4-5 gallons left in my tank. Might be the easiest way to deal with a mercurial barometer.

BTW, regular is 1.95 and premium unleaded is 2.15 here.
  • Options
    jmorriss13jmorriss13 Member Posts: 12
    Vroom,

I am reading this off the sale sheet from my Red 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg w/Monsoon, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Side Air Curtain. The total sale price of the car was $20,490, including the 6-CD changer. $19,995 without. (You could save $200 if you buy the Panasonic CD changer from Crutchfield.) They jacked on another $99 prep fee, which is BS, so the total price w/o tax and title was $20,589 out the door.

If you back out the CD changer, you're left with $20,094, well under the $21,600 sticker price, but still a few hundred over invoice. Note that the 'invoice' the dealer shows you probably includes a $95 port prep fee, $50+ advertising fee, and a $50+ regional dealer's association fee. I think these are all ADMU (Added Dealer Mark Up), and essentially BS, but you fight the battles you can win, and time is money.

So there, I've dropped trou for all the world to see, and either criticize or compliment as they see fit.

My personal opinion is that you can do a few hundred dollars better on the price of the car, but I'm not the one negotiating on the car. Note that White is VW's LEAST popular color(no offense) and my dealer told me he will have the one on his lot for a long time to come, first, because it is white, and second because it doesn't have the sunroof. Does yours have the sunroof? With your invoice price of $19,723, I'm sure it does.

The way I got my price was by calling the sales guy and asking him for the car I wanted. He ordered the car from the port, and quoted $100 over his 'invoice', which was $19,890. He was helpful, straightforward, got me the exact car I wanted, and (this is where the 'time is money' thing comes in): I didn't spend weeks dickering with salesmen. I have a friend who bought the same car in black, with the single CD player, and she paid $20,650 before closing fees, tax, and title. She spent a lot of time negotiating.

The weapons you have at you disposal are:

1. Sales are down about 10% for VW this year, not an insignificant amount.

2. The car's relative undesirability. (Don't feel bad, the red isn't popular either.)

3. Once the new 2001.5's come out, who would want to buy a Wolfsburg? The loaded GLS has nicer seats, and the TT's ULEV engine with 180HP is a mighty fine upgrade.

Tell them to throw in the CD changer at that price and you'll take it.

As always, I apologize for my utter lack of brevity.
  • Options
    binkymom2binkymom2 Member Posts: 1
    I love the new Jettas and Passats--I'm having a hard time trying to decide between the two. However, you mentioned that white is VWs least popular color and I agree. I normally like white cars--I've owned several white vehicles, but I did not like the one white Passat that I saw and I can't recall ever seeing a white Jetta. When I go to buy, I'm probably going for the gray. Is it usual to have to pay more for a "better" color of car?
  • Options
    wntajettawntajetta Member Posts: 12
    That's the same deal I got on my white WE. Sunroof and cd player included of course. Tell him you'll take it if he throws in the cd player.

White may not be as popular as the black or green (both of which I'm sick of) but that is a bonus to me--I don't see my car coming and going everywhere! I love the car. Please email me when you get it so we can compare notes on our white Wolfies!
  • Options
    The only car that I would sell to anyone for $100 over, is one that has been in my
    inventory so long that it has had a birthday.

Port Prep=$25 & FloorPlan INTEREST Reserve=$92 appear, and are a part of every
    Invoice, on every VW sold in Every State & Province in No. America.

Ad Assoc. Fees vary depending on Market...LA vs Frozen Sneakers, Iowa.

Hard cost...No Ad fees, on a Wolfsburg with No Options is $18,612 (Including $99
    for Ca. & Northeast Emissions) if you live in the middle subtract it. The Full Curtain
    Side AirBag Protection System is Standard, not an option, adds $133 which
    I have included...they are , by the way, in addition to the existing SideAirBags on
    all VW products...Monsoon adds $287, a SunRoof is another $808.

So...Total it up/ Base Invoice Including Destination, Monsoon=$18,899+$500= $19,399.00
    Plus Tax, Title & license and you have a car deal.

If I cannot make 2.6% Gross Profit on a New Car, I do not want the business, particularly
    on a Limited Edition...the horrific marketing notwithstanding. If we cannot show a customer
    the value of what they are buying, then we should close the doors and take the $18899
    and buy Certificates of Deposit, forget the headaches, the employees, & the dozens of
    businesses that we help support, and live off of the income...
  • Options
    jmorriss13jmorriss13 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the viewpoint from the other side of the table. (I love talking about the deal, having been in sales for several years, but most salesmen cringe when you talk profit and markup.) Your argument is not unreasonable, and I guess it underscores the difficulty of both buying and selling a car: assigning a specific monetary value to a particular car that both parties can (hopefully) smile about.

You also make me feel good about the price I got on my Wolfsburg.

Thanks!
  • Options
    grantsclangrantsclan Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 1999.5, silver, 2.0L, GLS with the luxury package and 24,000 miles from a private party for my daughter's college car. What specific problems should I be looking for in that model year before I consummate the deal? I know enough to spot the obvious, but since it's buyer beware on this deal, I need some insight or clues to 99.5 Jetta problems. Thanks.
  • Options
    eck71eck71 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0 for my wife with leather, sunroof, 5spd, and SILVER. Paid $18400 with 2yr extended warranty(I know a lot of you are comparing final prices; did I get a deal?) I drive approximately 900 miles a week and could use the fuel saving advantage of the TDI. I drove both(TDI,VR6) today and of course I have driven the 2.0. The 2.0 is impressive but the main concern with getting a Jetta myself is the mileage. I like the power and smoothness of the VR6 and found the exact vehicle I would want in this form. The TDI seems really under powered for my driving routine and habits. I work in New Jersey and I'm sure some of you know how it is necessary to "nail it" to get out in the traffic there(especially RT. 22.) From my test drive experience the TDI will not provide the acceleration I need. Any comments? I know the VR6 will handle this just fine but I loose saving $250 a month in fuel costs plus diesel is cheaper and gasoline is on the rise again. I would appriciate any comments or encouragement.