Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jettalover2jettalover2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am looking to put 17" wheels on my 99' GTI GLS. Would someone look under new cars, and look at the Green GTI. Those are the wheels I want for my car. Where can I get them? Please help!
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Sounds perfect...You are correct about the Turbo...it needs clean oil and
    clean air filters for sure, but, unless you are going to drive it VERY Hard...
    Stick to the Factory Schedule...rings do not seal properly if messed with
    too soon...As to viscosity check with your VW Service Advisor...

Congratulations!!! Enjoy & Welcome to the VW Family!!!
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Just let the dealer do all the oil changes for the first 2yr/24mo. Yeah, 5k between seems long or short but I believe there are breakin adititives in the factory initial oil fill. This should be kept in for the full 5k. 5W-40 Castrol is what my dealer installed at my first service. They would put in synthetic if I wanted for 4 bucks extra a qt. That kinda defeated the maint. included part of the warranty. I'll wait till the 25k service to do synthetic. 5W-30 is accepatible if -40 is unavailable. Just let the dealer do it every 5k for free and relax. Turbo will be fine...
    P>S> Your 2001 still has that 10y/100k powertrain warr. based on 5k mile oil servicing intervals.
  • sprouty1sprouty1 Member Posts: 9
    I own a GLX VR6, which inherently means that I have no right to recommend a TDI to you as I don't have one and don't know the ins and outs of owning one long-term. That said, given the type of driving you want to do in your new Jetta, the TDI turbodiesel might be perfect. Great milage (40-50mpg) and that around-town pep you are afraid to miss. Plus, it'd be cheaper to buy than a 1.8 and a lot cheaper than a VR6. If you keep cars forever, the diesel might be the way to go. I know lots of folks here and at the tdiforum on the web are very satisfied with that engine in the Jetta.
  • wolfinbluewolfinblue Member Posts: 11
    I posted this in the owners group, but I figured I'd post here as well!

I have a Wolfsburg Edition and I am looking to make some upgrades. I have heard that chipping would void the warranty, and if the turbo were to go, I'd be on my own for getting it repaired, even if the chip had nothing to do with it. Has anyone experienced this, or know of somewhere where I could find more information about putting a chip in to get more horsepower?

Also, has anyone heard anything about installing a new manifold similar to that of the Audi A4 (since it is basically the same 1.8t engine) to get another 20 - 30 horsepower?

Any input would be much appreciated!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Is nearly identical to the WE's. The audi one has a few minor tweaks. Same can be said of the Passat's more powerful 1.8T.

As for chipping everyone disagrees on this one. Your best bet is to talk to people in your area about their experiences with the local VW dealerships and chipping. Some dealer service areas will overlook a chip when they do your scheduled maintenance. Find out which VW dealers will do that for you.

Also some people talk about keeping the normal chip and swapping it when the car is taken in for any service work. I've read of VW accusing people of monkeying around with the chip in an effort to negate any engine work but if the correct one is in the car, they have no proof.

Lastly, a mod to the turbo should not be grounds for negating the whole warranty. But be careful, some unscrupulous dealerships (aren't most of them?) will try to nuke your warranty for even changing wheels (though with the WE, the wheels were part of the reason to get the car!).

I too own a WE and while it's fun I long to give it a little more gumption. I figure at 20k miles I'll look into the chip. In the meantime I'm considering some suspension tweaks as the WE's current setup is just too rolly for my tastes. The car's lean in corners is making me angry after 3 weeks, so I know I'm gonna have to act soon or continue to grit my teeth in anguish everytime I must hit a freeway on-ramp at only 50. I'm honestly baffled as to how people can live with the standard suspension.

Karl Flaig
    www.blue-buy.com, Driven by a Different Point of View
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Another WE owner here. I plan to do a GIAC chip before long. If I want to improve the stock WE suspension, what would you recommend without breaking the bank, if possible. I'm new to VW suspension work and not sure whether I'd need shocks/springs/struts/swaybars or all of these things. VW offers Eibach springs that'd keep the warranty intact and lower the car about an inch, would this be a good improvement, or not enough with the stock shocks. Thanks!
    I haven't had the chance to look yet. Between work, grad school and a new site I'm creating, time is at a premium. I've heard the Eibach spring set makes a nice difference.

That GIAC chip seems insanely fun.

BTW, check VWwortex.com. Good info there.

Karl Flaig
    www.blue-guy.com, Driven By a Different Point of View
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Experiened ones..Need single CD player for monsoon. How much is the VW one and what is best way to buy? Aftermarket work?
    INKY
  • benth1benth1 Member Posts: 1
    MY 1994 Jetta GL was in an accident and someone stole all the relays from under the steering column. Can someone tell me the relay numbers and location starting from left to right, top and bottom. I would also like to know which location does not have a relay plugged into it. Thanks
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    You'll get better results contacting VW on this question...

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    I'd stick with the VW CD player if I were you. It's $280 plus whatever the dealer wants to charge for install. I think the price is negotiable though, and you should check different dealers to see who is trying to rip you off. It's listed at VW.com as $280, so I bet you can get it for less since this is retail. Good luck.
  • tracym1tracym1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a 2000 silver GLS. I like the way the car drives, but we've had a few irritating problems with it that have cost me some cash. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. I'm a former Honda owner, so I'm not used to putting money into a car when I'm still paying for it.

First, I had to replace the rear brakes and rotors at 30,000 miles. I thought that was way early, especially since the front brakes were fine. Also, I've not had that problem with other cars, so I don't think I'm that hard on brakes! VW disagreed and wouldn't pay anything. I have found out since that there is a technical service bulletin out on these brakes for premature wear, but VW still won't budge on paying for it.

Second, the drivers side window is stuck open. It seems like such a little thing, but it is probably going to cost $300 for the dealer to fix it.

Finally, it goes through a quart of oil about every 3000 miles. That seems high. Anyone else have this experience.

Like I said, it is a nice driving car, but probably wasn't the one for us. The back seat room is awful. I didn't think it would matter as we had one child at the time, but now that we have two (surprise!) it really isn't workable.

I appreciate anyone sharing their experience with the problems I mentioned, if you have any! Oh, and mine is silver and I didn't pay MSRP, although one dealer told me I would have to. Is there a problem with the paint?

Tracy
    I'm guessing you've got the base 2.0 engine. Alot of these engines burn oil, from the time they are new, I think there was a batch of bad rings from the factory to cause this.

It also sounds like you've got the famed window regulator problem, which is very common on these cars. It should be taken care of under warranty if your car is less than 24 months old.

You've figured out the hard way that VWs are more fun to drive than Hondas, but they tend to have little problems that are annoying that Hondas usually do not.

Silver is the most in-demand color for Jettas and as a result, dealers can often get MSRP for the cars. I know silver looks nice, but it is definitely the most common Jetta color here in the Phoenix area, followed by black.

Good luck!
  • tompc2tompc2 Member Posts: 1
    I need some help please ... I have a 98 Jetta GL and am having problems with a scrubbing noise coming from the front of the car. I've taken it 3 times to the dealership to have it looked at and they are telling me that nothing is wrong with it ... I don't think so though ... when I make right turns and slightly steer to the right a scrubbing noise happens ... and it's getting louder every day ... the dealership has looked at the car 3 times and says nothing is wrong ??? I understand the brakes can be louder than other cars but this sound isn't just loud brakes ... it sounds like a hard metal on metal scrape/grind/bending of something .... sounds as if my wheels are falling off.... ??? I am planning on taking it in to another dealership this week but was curious if anyone else had similiar problems ???? thanks for any reply and help!!!
    Have the Constant Velocity joints been checked out. In addition maybe one of the plastic wheel-house shrouds is out of whack and is scraping on either of the front tires when U turn the wheel. Just some other possibilities to help find the scraping source...
    Yes. It could be brakes, CV's or shrouds. Take it to the dealer and make an appointment for the service manager to go on a test drive with you and show them what it's doing.

-Jim

• garypuccigarypucci Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new Jetta 2 months ago, and I have had nothing but problems with it. I bought a GLS w/ sport package, and VR6. At about 3000 miles (a week ago) my car dies on the freeway, not to mention I almost get into many wrecks trying to get over to the side of the road. It turns out it was a laugher for the mechanics. Yes they were actually laughing at my misfortune.. I could have been killed, yet they still laugh.. It was my air flow sensor. My EPC light came on than my car started to stall. As I pulled over it did stall, than upon turning on my engine all
    my lights went on and it quit on me again. The only good thing was the nice AAA guy that towed me, after VW tried to give me the runaround on how to get my car towed to them. Oh and get this.. I have a new nice Kings keyring that my mother bought for me that turned up missing!!! YES THEY STOLE MY KEYRING!!! I accidently left it on the loaner keyring, and when I went to pick up my keys it was not there.. I asked if they knew where it went and they laughed and shook their heads. What a crock of BS. I will never buy a VW again, and I have told everyone that they suck [non-permissible content removed]. As soon as I can sell this pile of crap I will. Any takers? Black VR6 w/ sports package 5spd cloth seats. 19k and its yours.. 4k miles. Its either this or I will purposely wreck this car to get my money back according to the lemon law of cali.
    Just call the police and file a theft report on the stolen LA King's keyring. Bet they won't be laughing when the LAPD show up to investigate...
    Hi folks I have a 01 Jetta 1.8T GLS with 300 miles. I love the car. One question, I have owned Hondas for 10 years and they give per owners manual one free alignment in warranty 1st year. Now, the Jetta has an annoying drift to the right on any crown of road and on flat. The owners manual says alignment is not covered by warranty. Does that mean all Jettas are perfect from the factory in that regard. Any suggestions?
    INKY
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Mostly all manufacturers cover adjustments, etc. for 1 year/12,000 miles. The owner's manual probably meant the alignment is not a normal covered warranty item, not that it's not covered now. Consult your dealer about the alignment.
  • garypuccigarypucci Member Posts: 3
    My mother got it for me on my last b-day. It wasnt cheap, but thats not the point.. They totally lied about it, and were being asses about my whole ordeal. I know its not the cars fault, but Im going this weekend to lose a couple grand on my POS Jetta and buy myself an Acura RSX. :)
  • mags20mags20 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks. I currently own a 98 Jetta GL, but am considering purchasing a 2001 1.8T (toss up on the Wolfsburg). I've noted quite a few complaints and lots of raves for the car as a whole. I've had fairly good luck with the current car...3X in for the engine light and a few other minor, non mechanical issues. I'm not sure whether I should take the chance on the current model. From what I've read, sounds like I should rule out the 2.0 and definatly go w/ the 1.8 (don't want to step up to the V6). Any advice?
    Thanks.
    GO FOR IT !
    The 1.8T is worth it. I tend to think you can get a much better deal on a GLS 1.8 vs Wolfsburg. You should have just as much luck with a new Jetta. I do like the Wolfsburg wheels and cloth better. I have seen a ton of these sitting at dealers--5 speeds are hard sells in 2001. My dealer has a WB without extras for $18,375! That is great price. Ones with extras are not that good of a deal for some reason. Your car you decide. Let us know what you do!
    INKY
  • smitpatsmitpat Member Posts: 13
    Yes, I agree: Do it! I have one. Love it.
  • french_guyfrench_guy Member Posts: 6
    I know that this may seem like an odd question especially in July, but I would love to have your opinion on different brands of winter tires. I am not looking for a performance oriented tire but rather good traction on ice and snow. I previously had Yokohama Gardex and was somewhat satisfied (good on snow but so so on ice). I live in Québec and winter is for real. I am also gonna purchase 4 x 15' steel wheels.

Thanks

J-F

P.S. The WE is amazing, I got the seats upholstered in leather and a walnut-burl dash kit.
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I'm now at 13K miles on my '01 Baltic Green Turbo....5spd...I've been a toyota guy for many years and this is the FIRST new car I've owned that has not had to go to the dealership for a repair or adjustment. I'm tickled $hitless. Fast and comfortable....of course not if you happen to be in the back seat!

Now what ya'll need to do is vacation to North Carolina and cruise (with the top open) the Blue Ridge Parkway....it's simply "mahvalous"
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I bought my 01 Jetta GLS 1.8T in February and realized right away that the Goodyear Eagle LS wouldn't do it for winter time. I bought a set of Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires for it. Those combined with the traction control made the car awesome in the winter. There were times it would get going from a slick intersection better than a 4WD. I had Ultra Grip Ice tires on the Nissan Quest that I traded in on the Jetta. Very good winter tires.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Does anyone have any information on VW's new 2002 bumper to bumper warranty? I have heard all 2002 VW's will come with a 4/50,000 b2b. I emailed VW and they did confirm changes to the warranty, but gave no specifics.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Today, Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced a new vehicle warranty available on all 2002 Volkswagen models that begin arriving at U.S. dealerships this month and throughout the summer and fall. Volkswagen said it based its new warranty for the 2002 model year on customer research and feedback, creating a more optimal warranty focused on providing even better comprehensive coverage for today's Volkswagen customer.

For the 2002 model year, all new Volkswagen vehicles will come standard with an increased four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) bumper-to- bumper warranty, up from two years/24,000 miles. The warranty covers wear- and-tear items and adjustments during the initial 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership.

In addition, Volkswagen will offer a fully transferable limited powertrain warranty that covers five years or 60,000 miles (previously 10 years/100,000 miles, but transferable only from the original retail owner to a family member).

"Volkswagen's previous Protection Plus Warranty, which was the first of its kind in the industry when we launched it some six years ago, has offered many customers benefits -- especially to those owners who plan to own a Volkswagen for many years to come," said Frank Maguire, vice president in charge of sales and marketing. "We want to be responsive to our customers and research tells us the new 4/50 offers what today's buyer expects from a premium warranty. It reflects our commitment to meeting the evolving preferences of our customers."

Volkswagen's new warranty plan also includes the added security of a four- year/50,000 mile, 24-hour roadside assistance program (increased from 2001's two-year term).

Exceptional corrosion perforation coverage remains 12 years with no mileage limit for all fully-galvanized Volkswagen vehicles (Cabrio covered for six years, Eurovan for eight years.)

Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. As America's top-selling European brand, Volkswagen markets a full line of vehicles through a network of some 600 dealers in the United States.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Thanks moparbad!!! Sounds very encouraging. My lease runs out in less than 2 years and this will play a big role in my potential purchase of a VW car.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    The Michelin 15" tires on my Jetta state 42psi as max pressure on the tire. But I know that is not what you go by. However, the recomended listing of 26-28 seems low. I fell comfortable with 32-34.
    Anyone disagree?
    Anywhere from 28-34 should be fine. I never, EVER inflate my tires to the max pressure. Max pressure and recommended pressure are two different things.

-Jim
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • robdominicrobdominic Member Posts: 6
    looking at a new 5-speed 1.8T. salesman told me that he uses regular unleaded in his 1.8T. he said it needs premium only in europe because of the differences in the way gas is formulated there and here in the states. is this true? any negative effects? thanks for the help.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    That is a real load...The 1.8L Turbo is the only engine that we make
    that really needs 92 or High Octane gas...Better MPG, Better Performance...

Find another Sales rep, fast...This guy is a liar...pure and simple

Go to the Beef & Bird on Wilcrest, have a great dinner...And try another
    Dealership...There are 5 Stores in Houston...4 to go
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    My girl just bought a new wolfsburg, with monsoon,sunroof, traction control (dont know if this is standard) plus an in-dash cd. for $19970 before tax and license with 5.9% financing here in ct. it's the dark blue with black interior.. ohhhh man, i can't wait to learn to drive standard!! lol..
  • mags20mags20 Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks,
    I appreciate the feedback on post 1876. Unfortunatly, the 3 dealers I visited couldn't provide (and couldn't locate in all of the region) what I was looking for. Apparently, silver is the most popular color, and finding a 5spd 1.8 wasn't an option. Was offered various deals on other colors/options, including the WB, but the '98 is running solid, so I decided to wait for the moment.
    One of the dealers I went to stated that the 1.8 actually produces nearly 170 hp, but I assume that's chipped. Does anyone know if this is accurate? The straight up was real peppy, but I may decide to go w/ the extra...
    Thanks again for the feedback and, when I do finally buy, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    mags20
  • sm48sm48 Member Posts: 6
    I got a new silver Jetty with the sport suspension/17 in wheels/ 5 speed / VR6 and must admitt it's more fun than the Porsche I previously had. While the turbo was ok - one must go the options list to really make it perform - and it will. The VR6 can be chipped also I understand and know that Autothority has a very solid reputation - I've had one from them and really noticed the difference. There are others to consider and know this is a real option. I understand the 2002 VR6 is supposed to be faster - but know that they mostly deal with the engine management system (more aggressive chip) - among other items to make it move. All I can say is that if you take care of your car, change the oil (more than every 5,000 miles as recommended) you should be k.
    Got the sunglass holder which replaced the drivers side handle. Anyhow, the diabolical thing is that the supplied screws where about 1/4 inch too short and I could not install. Had to look in my box of junk screws to find replacements. I am an engineer and found this maddening since I spent one hour trying to make it work--of course I assumed the problem was me. Anyhow, looks nice now.
    The 2002 beetle gets a 180 hp, 6 speed. This would be a great combo for the Jetta. It really needs a better overdrive to lower engine speed. The car feels like an automatic from 30 mph to 100 mph but rpms get high.
    The new Acura RSX surprised me with a6 speed that has the exact same final drive as the 5 speed because the 1-5 were made closer.
    Nice car overall, I have owned mostly Civic and Accord for many years and feel you get lots of features in this car--love the 1.8T.
    INKY
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i will be getting the changer soon and was wondering, will i be able to controlt eh changer via my steering wheel mounted controls?Also, where can I get instructions to install the changer?
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    I bought a Panasonic CX-DP88 8 CD changer from Crutchfield for 209.xx + 50. for an adapter. You can call them at 888-955-6000 to see if your car requires anything else. My car is a non-monsoon. I just removed the adapter end on the car (in the trunk, behind the little door on the left hand side) and snapped the new adapter on then plugged the CD changer in. Be sure to change a setting on the changer to coordinate with the angle (vertical) because it comes set for a horizontal mounting position. It works with my steering wh cntrls also.
    The dealer (Southern States VW in Raleigh, NC quoted me "695." for a 6 CD. BUT> since I am from "outta town, we'll let YOU have it for only $400.) Please don't fall for that game.
    Good luck.....
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    thanks very much
    I installed my own Panasonic DP610 6 disc changer about four weeks ago. Pretty easy. I picked up the changer and connector for $220, plus another $15 or so for the necessary VW mounting brackets. If you use the right connector all of your controls for the radio should work with the OEM CD player.

Obviously $230 is a huge $170 savings over the raping VW offers through the dealers.
  • coolwhitecoolwhite Member Posts: 14
    Purchased a cool white wolfsburg 3 months ago and its out of this world pure enjoyment!!! I was driving my son's 2000 Focus SE (poor quality issues!) and decided to unload for something better. Test drove many small 4 dr. sedans; Civic, Sentra, Corolla, Elantra, S40, Protege but when we drove the white wolf, my son made this observation. This VW is designed by God and built by Mexicians!
    I'm having soooo... much fun, feel like a kid again! Have worked at Ford as a mechanical engineer and a manager for over 31 years and ready to retire within a few months. This wolf is making me forget about all my Ford cars..

Have read 90% of these messages and I've got a few comments to pass along.
    1. The VR6 has 5 valves per cylinder not 4.
    2. My dealer and service reps. say its OK to use regular 87 octane fuel for normal driving and the sticker on the inside of fuel door states 91/87 octane fuel. I have been using 87 and get approx. 25mpg (U.S. gallon) in city driving and no engine noise! When I fill with Sunoco Ultra 94 the performance is better.
    3. To the person who has a tire that will not hold pressure above 26psi. I had the same issue and found that the valve stem was leaking thru the center core which we tightened and its OK.

Will pass along info re:purchase price in Canada later..
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    The current VR6 only has 2 valves per cylinder, its a 12v design. The new 201hp VR6 will have 24 valves, 4 valves per cylinder. The V6 in the passat is 5 valves per cylinder and the 1.8T is 5 valves per cylinder. The only cars that currently use the VR6 are the Jetta GLS and GLX and the GTI GLX. The V6 in the passat and all Audi engines including the 1.8T are 5valve per cylinder. The current vr6 and 2.0l 4 banger are the only low tech 2 v/cylinder engines in the volkswagen/audi lineup.
  • k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    Also 1.8T's are ONLY for 91+ Gasoline, do NOT I repeat do NOT use anything less than 91 Ocatane, you WILL damage your engine and it will NOT be covered. Your service tech doenst know his [non-permissible content removed] from his face. Any 1.8T owner who likes to have a car that works use 91+ , Use 93 as most people do. 87 Octane gas will damage your valves and engine in the near future, be advised. Your manual states 91+ only. You think your service guy knows more than the manual?
  • gperrgperr Member Posts: 157
    inky,

You have to use the original two screws from the handle you removed. The ones that come with the sunglass holder are too small. Everytime someone asks for the part number- I remind them to use the old screws.

gperr
    I got the factory 6 disc and paid VW.com price of 350 at dealer + 16 for hardware. They wanted 400 but I told them I will just get the Panasonic and adapter or get factory from VW.com. They instantly said they'd do the VW internet price on the spot. I installed myself. I believe my VW Masterguard ext. warr will cover this changer since it is factory all the way. There is no way to predict what electronic stuff can do in a NY min...
    That is funny, I did not even try the long ones since they were very long in this application--I should have read the posts!
    I find myself not missing the Civics and Accords of my past. I pray that time does not change that. The VW is quality and substantially built compared to the flimsey Civic and bland Accord--nice dependable cars but no wow factor.
    The 1.8T is a blast to drive. My Honda have alway been bullet proof. I have heard rumors of poor rear brake wear on Jetta--is this true. Also something about the Goodyear tire having woes.
    Any experience on that out there?
    Thanks
    INKY