Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    My Jetta is going strong at almost 3k miles. :)

Please note - there is no Volvo produced right now that is based on Ford's input. Even the new S60/S80 platform is all Volvo. The little S40 is not a Ford - I believe it is what is called a Mitsubishi Charisma in Europe.

Volvo rocks. But honestly, having Ford own them is only going to help matters. If I could have afforded an S60 GLT, I would have done it. Beautiful car. I still adore the S70/850's...

Back to Jetta. Has anyone taken their silver Jetta through a carwash yet? I need to....afraid of the result. :(
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I took my white one through a carwash, but not one of those with bristles. I usually go to the touchless laser carwashes unless the car gets really dirty. Then I take it and get it detailed. I took it last Saturday to get detailed, and they had it for like 10 minutes, when 3 cars behind me were gone already. Guess they were taking special care of my Jetta. :)

The laser washes don't get "hard" dirt off the car though, so I see no point in paying $6+ for one. And Justin, don't tell me you haven't washed that car yet...
    ...but only by hand in my driveway. :) I have not broke down and put it through a mechanical wash yet. I will have to though, I know it.
    Just wait until your 5K service, and they will hand wash it at your dealership. They did mine. :)
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I think blueguy has to bite the bullet and get rid of his Jetta. There is no sense to pay a monthly payment/gas/insurance/maintenance on a car that you absolutely hate or at least are discontent with.

There are too many damn choices out there so there is little sense to put up with a car that annoys you to no end...sell it or trade it and move on!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Fisch: If anything, I'm overly polite to all customer service personnel. I bend over backward for them, graciously say thank you and sir, and never raise my voice. I work in CRM and I know how trying customers can be when a product/service appears to be deficient. And I've found that I get far further and far better assistance when I'm pleasant, jocular and agreeable nearly to the point of being obsequious.

And I do not thrash my cars. I never peel out, never grind gears, don't ride the clutch, and I get it washed religiously. The only thing I do that's out of the norm is I drive the car fast and I push it through every corner, on-ramp, off-ramp or straight-away. What I do to my Jetta is no different than my actions with all my other cars.

Teo:
    I'd love to replace my Jetta, but right now that's not possible. I'm in the process of buying my first home, so car shopping is taking a backseat to that herculean task. Also, the pickings are very slim under 30k...if the WRX were a bit more luxurious or if the Altima had a decent interior. That's pretty much it as a properly outfitted bimmer breaks 30k. For now I'll put up with my Jetta, as parts literally fall on me. Once I get the house, hopefully I'll find a way to part with the Jetta. Or God will answer my prayers and someone will steal it.
    Blueguy should just get the BMW. It takes a special breed to be a VW owner I think.

Blue - after you close on the house, just bite the bullet and get the BMW. Just understand that it will be A. really worth it, or B. even more problems, for even more money. You will either be really, really happy, or completely miserable if you realize that the BMW offers nothing over the Jetta except poor traction in the snow and an inline six cylinder engine. I would really think about it.....do some soul searching. Are you the type that expects perfection, seriously? I mean, if your Jetta has problems, and it is just a VW, how are you going to feel when your "ultimate driving machine" leaves you stranded? Will you be really ticked off because you paid so much, or will you just love the car so much that you are happy no matter what it does? Big decision....but if you truly WANT a BMW, then you deserve it! Go get it!! A light green 330Ci with a dark green top is my preference. :)
    I can agree with what you said about being ticked off with a car or being happy. With the rattles in my car (only 2 small ones), it drives me crazy sometimes, especially since my lower-priced Protege didn't rattle at all. But the feel and driving experience of the Jetta far outweigh that of the Protege for me, so it was worth it to bite the bullet and pay a little extra a month to be happy with my choice.
    Trust me, Bimmers scare the heck out of me. All of my friends with Bimmers have queer problems. True of my friends with VWs too.

Too bad the Japanese don't make cars as nice and solid feeling as BMWs and VWs, eh? If only I could marry German style, substance and feel to Japanese durability and quality. Ahhhh. :)

BTW, I haven't driven in snow since I was a teenager living in the foothills of the Sierras. Traction in poor weather is of zero consequence to me - we get maybe 20 rainy days a year here. And if it ever snowed the whole city would probably shut down and demand the governor declare San Diego a disaster area.
    Dang. Lucky dog. I didn't know you were in San Diego! You NEED a 330Ci convertible. I love it there. NEVER have to put the top up! Well, unless the sand and dirt starts kicking up from those darn winds. Screw the sedan - get a convertible. I would have one in a second....
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Try the Lexus IS300, not as flashy as the BMW but has all the quality and reliability you expect at the Bimmer's price bracket. I have driven the IS300 and it is a very close match to the Bimmer 3 Series. You get more standard equipment than the BMW for about the same or less money, plus the reliability factor, excellent Lexus service and very good basic warranties like 6 years or 70,000 miles for the powertrain that beats the 4/50 powertrain warranty on the BMW products.
    I loved the IS300. It handled and drive and felt WONDERFUL. Then you had to look at the outside of it. Might as well be a WRX. Why did Lexus do that?
    I think the outside of the IS300 looks neat. I never thought about test driving one of those. I probably could have gotten a nice used one for about $2-3000 more than I paid for the Jetta (about $24,000 loaded).
    Do the Jettas come with a center sunvisor? I could have sworn they did, but mine doesn't have one. Also, I don't have a rear cup holder either. What's up with that? :)
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    I like the IS exterior but it is the interior hat kills it, they use a fair amount of hard plastics and I really don't like the seats and dash area(speedometer etc-to cluttered)
    the center visor is a tiny little thing, but it should be there, as far as the rear cupholder, VW got rid of it midyear 2001, basically right after I got mine in Feb. 2001.
    My 99 Gen IV Jetta did have a rear holder. I don't have one on my 02. Darnit!

You guys like the IS300 outside? Even the back? I loved the interior. Kick A*& guages and it just felt like it fit me perfectly. Some hard plastics, but the suede seats made up for it :)
    I actually never sat in an IS300. I mean, I went to buy groceries one day and saw the Jetta, so I stopped and ended up taking it home. God knows what would have happend with a Lexus! :)

I love the IS300 gauges though, I think they look cool. The back lights are tolerable, but they could be better. Maybe with tinting on them or something.

I don't have a center sunvisor in my 2002. I am mad! How about you, Justin? You have one in yours?
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Well I'm glad to hear you treat the service guys well. Maybe time to go to another one. I had an experience today.

Found a screw in the front tire, but no air loss (yet). I went to put on the spare and take the damaged one to the local service station to fix the hole, but I couldn't get the lugs off. I called the VW dealer that did the tire rotation 3K mi. ago, and told them they overtorqued the lugs. Asked if they could get me in to retorque. They said not until the 28th. The guy was not courteous to me at all.

So I called another dealer (the one I usually go to). They said "come on down, we'll fit you in." They loosened all the lugs and said the other dealer had torqued them to 160 ft. lbs.!! Shop manual says 85!

Well, in the process of trying to loosen the locking lug nut, I stripped the splined tool. Now, I have to take the service invoice from the second dealer (stating they found the torque at 160) to the first dealer to get them to pay for a new tool (it costs $20 - geesh, it's a $3 tool)!

Moral of the story is that some dealers do good detailed work and are accomodating while others are the opposite.
    So you push cars hard in turns. So do I. I really don't find the Jetta lacking for a $20,000 car. And I used to race stock mod MGBs on grand prix tracks. Even with quasi-racing suspensions those things leaned a great deal. I took the really tight corners with the rear end breaking loose.

Do you have the sport suspension? I've yet to test one, but I bet I'll be impressed. You MUST be on the extreme of demanding if you call Jetta handling poor. Maybe you should wait on the house - get the bimmer first!
    Drove the IS300 with the auto and hated it. Of course part of the problem was the transmission - you just can't get power to the ground with an auto. Plus the steering felt really numb. In fact the whole ride felt too numb...as if they'd over-insulated the vehicle. I like to feel the pebbles on the ground :) Anyway, the Lexus guy would NOT leave me alone over that car. Last time he called he offered me a 35k sticker IS300 for 29k. Nice looking ride and I like the quality of Lexus - though the safety issue still vexes me. One day I may stop in to drive the 5 speed version as this trip was made in June right before the 5's showed up on lots.

Fisch: $20 for the tool? Dang. Sorry to read about your problems with over-torqued lugs.

I guess for handling I've been spoiled by the Miatas in the family. And yes I've got the sports suspension. I drove a 2000 1.8T without one and passed on the Jetta immediately. The 2001's with the bigger wheels and suspension made a difference as excessive lean comes on quite a bit later. Still, if I'm gonna keep this car I need to lower it, get a chip and slap on a sway bar. Maybe after 1k in mods I'll be happy, rattles and all. :)
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Go outside and get up near your rearview mirror. You MUST have a sunvisor, because I have one in my '02. It should flip down with the hinge against the mirror (so you have to grab it next to the window glass)

It's easy to miss since it's so tiny.
    I was poking around after work today, waiting for my co-worker who was catching a ride. I found the visor! :) It flips backward though, I thought it came down the other way. So I have it. :) Thanks for the advice. :)
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Have you given any consideration to the new Audi A4. Maybe this car will meet your needs. The interior decor is awesome. If you can swing it, get the V6.
    i have one. i have never ever found that it is useful...

i thought the Lex IS car felt extremely tied down and totally nimble. The steering/handling/engine combo was great. It was the auto with the shifters on the wheel....kind of confusing. I bet the 5 speed is wonderful. I know that for 2002 that have started to tint the back lights on some colors. The round back lights need to come out, period. Looks soooooo.....bad. Might as well be a tricked out 94 Accord on the outside...
    The center visor is cool when the sun is just in THAT place! My last two Proteges (99 and 01) had "extenders" on the end of the sunvisors to cover the area over the rearview mirror. The only problem with that was when I swung the visor around to the side and didn't duck back, it would knock off my glasses. :(
    Too true about the taillights. I can't count how often I'll come up quickly on some modded Civic or Accord and think, "What's wrong with that IS...oh, it's a goofy mod."

Venus, the new A4 looks VERY nice. The S4 will be amazing. I'm a tad worried about Audi quality though.
  • whitejettaglxwhitejettaglx Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my first Jetta... GLX... White/Black Leather. The first thing I want to do is change the headlights to those Cool Blue lights.... Anybody have any tips and/or suggestions on this matter.
    Don't do it. It decreases night visibility, which makes it more dangerous for you. They are NOT Xenon headlights. You can't get Xenon headlights by buying a simple bulb.

There are Xenon headlights available for the Jetta in Europe. A few people have ordered them, but they cost around $1500-2000.

IMO, those blue headlights look really cheap anyway. It's easy to tell the difference between the real thing and the cheap K-Mart knockoffs.
  • drumgirl1drumgirl1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,
    I need some advise. I am a student on a very tight budjet and i am looking for my first reasonable car. Basically I need realiability (especially for our Canadian winters), don't want to invest tons in repairs and just a car that will get me to school,work, home. I expect to do about 20 000km/yr and I always keep up on oil changes and general maintenance etc.

Passing by my local garage, I noticed someone was selling a 4 door, 5-Speed 91 Jetta. It has 215 000 kms, some rust, visible repairs on the moldings but otherwise it seems in good shape. Took it for a spin and it seemed ok although i'm not used to driving manual. The thing that concerned me is that there was a light on the dashboard and buzzing of some sort, like a warning light. The guy said it was something he had to adjust. Any ideas what it could be? He's asking for $2000 CDN.
    I am wondering what you all think of this. Do Jettas have an overall good rating? In terms of quality, do you think this car would last very much longer...will it see 300 000? Is there anyone out there with this same car that can give me some advise? Or anyone that has had experience with Jettas, were you pleased or deceived with Jetta?

Thank you so much for your help and advise. I appreciate all your time and patience. My first car is a big step and I dont want to make a mistake.
    Have a great day!! :)
    I'd stay away from a 91 Jetta with alot of miles, especially with warning signs already, I don;t know how much 2000 Canadian dollars are but I think you're better off going with a Honda or Toyota in your circumstance, you're not looking for ultimate style, luxury, performance(from what it sounds like), what you need is a nice, reliable, affordable car, I say go Japanese(although I am thouroughly a European i.e. German man)
    If you need a dependable, reliable car, go with Honda or Toyota. I bought my Jetta because it was fun to drive, but I knew that it could potentially be problematic.

So far, so good, however. :^)
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    If you're in a market for a car with that much mileage, how the previous owner/s maintained their car is more of a factor than whoever the manufacture may be. Well, within reason, that is. Stay away from those early Hyundias.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    My girlfriend and her sister own a 91 Jetta GLS (5 speed, air, sunroof) that they share. Their father got it for $5000 CDN about a year-and-a-half ago. The car seemed to be well maintained, but I'm not certain, as I was not there to partake in the deal. It has about 180 000 km on it now.

We've had quite a few troubles with it lately. Belts, fuel pump, etc. It's a good little city car, and the first year we had it, we drove 600 km (one way) a few times in it. Now, though, I refuse to even go 100 km in it. The belts broke on me last year and I had to wait 4 hours for an AMA tow truck at 2:00 am in the freezing cold.

Which warning light is lit on the dashboard? That'd be something important to find out.
    In my opinion, take a pass! Be very picky when choosing a car, especially a used one. I know a few people at work who have bought used recently. One person bought a 1987 Daytona (against my warnings) and one bought a 97 Sunfire. Both of them have had quite a few problems already.

By the way, I know what it's like to be a starving student on a tight budget. I'm a recent graduate and very grateful to finally be making money...now if only I can make my studen loans disappear... :)

Good luck.

Pro_fan
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Merry Christmas and have a happy New Year! Be safe and enjoy some time with your family & friends. Best wishes Jetta folks for the holidays and a hope for a prosperous New Year for all!

God Bless,
    Larry
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Paul, I made your killer Crab Cheese Dip for guests on Christmas Eve. They went nuts and ate every last bite! Thanks again for the recipe. That stuff is addictive. You "da bomb".

BTW, My sister-in-law and here intended both drive Vee-Dub Jets. Hers a 1998 Jetta and his a 2000 Jetta! :-)))) I guess after they get hitched he can register at Town Hall as Jettaxtwo, LOL!

-Larry
    so hard to say. i have a friend, in L.A. no less, that has an automatic Jetta, 1991. The thing is a rolling death trap, he never gets it serviced, and never did, and it will not die. It somehow gets him everywhere. It looks and sounds awful. The interior smells and seriously looks like it will just fall apart any day now. He won't get rid of it until he can kill it. It won't die. I had a Tercel like that too.....

The difference is he had it since it was brand new. With a used car, you never know what the previous owners did with it. I would pass on the 91 Jetta and just put the money down on a new Elantra/Spectra and make $200/month car payments, or look for something else.
    Hey man, how about emailing me that recipe for Killer Crab Cheese Dip?!! BTW, I've heard of killer whales, but not killer crabs. Are they more expensive than regular crabs?
    Very funny. I knew something like this was going to start.. :) If you really want the recipe (it's very easy), I will send it to you.
    I'm getting my 10k service tomrrow, and at my 5k service I had them use Mobil 1 synthetic oil that I gave them, but now I couldn't find Mobil 1, so I bought Castrol synthetic, is it ok to switch brands? Is castrol good?
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Is installed at the factory for TDIs...
    taking my car in next week. my service guy said there is a problem with the switch, or a relay. either way, i get another turbo as my loaner, and it will only take one day probably. whew. i was worried that i was just crazy...;)
    Another turbo as a loaner? Last time I took my car in and they gave me a loaner, they ended up sending me to Enterprise rent-a-car because they ran out of loaner cars. Enterprise gave me a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4WD long bed pickup, because that was the only thing they had left. The beast had 55 miles on it, and averaged 9.6 mpg according to its trip computer. Thank God I didn't pay for gas though.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's been below freezing here for a week now. I'd go insane if my Jetta's heated seats conked out on me now!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Kirstie:

They didn't really conk out. They only work on setting 5, and on setting 5, well, my rear can't take setting 5 for very long at all ;)

Seriously, I think I would enjoy a nice 2 or 3 setting for the long term, instead of HOT setting 5 for two minutes, ya know? I will keep you all posted on the outcome.
    I turn my seat on 5 when I first get in the car in the morning. Feels really nice, even though the car is still cold until it warms up, about 5 mins. or so of driving. I turn the seat down to 3-4 when driving on it for awhile though. It's really comfortable at that setting. Leaving it on 5 for too long results in "hot cross buns", as a friend of mine likes to put it. :)
  • marenamarena Member Posts: 3
    Well, we have our Silver, 2002 1.8 Turbo, leather, heated seats a month...
    LOVIN IT!!!!! NO COMPLAINTS...IT'S A WINNER!!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Do any of the VW 4-cylinder engines (1990-02) have any special maintenance requirements that have to be carried out? For example, do you have to have the timing belt or chain replaced, oil changed every 7,500 miles, or transmission fluid flushed every once in a while? From my observations, it seems that every VW, regardless if it's a Fox or Corrado, is maintenance-intensive. They seem to require lots of maintenance in spite of being well-built cars. I know people that spend a lot of time on their VWs than those who own old Chevys with lazy V-8s!
  • sharalizsharaliz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any advice for me on this car? I'm buying my first car and I like the look of this one, just want to make sure I'm not getting swayed by appearances! The car has 50,000 miles on it and the dealer wants $11,000 for it. From the research I've done it seems like a good deal. Any opinions? I'm also considering a Toyota Corolla.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    just my $0.02, but if you are simply looking to buy a car to get you from point A to B with almost NO maintenance required, I would strongly suggest you get a Corolla. My wife bought a used one several years ago (when she was in grad school), and the engine is peppy, quiet, and the automatic is quite smooth. I wouldn't get an automatic VW, as I've heard too many varying stories on their reliability.

If you are willing to spend more on maintenance, drive manual, and want a car with more "personality" then get the Jetta inspected by an independent mechanic that specializes in German cars.