Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• cbottcbott Member Posts: 10
    bluejetta..thanks for the interest. Actually I have to work on the weekend, well at least Saturday and I live in a tourist location and spent most of Sunday with friends and family so the miles are still down to 108. I will be making my first trip with the car in a few weeks, about 250 miles so I can't wait. Thanks so much for the interest. I love driving this car. It's a joy to get out of work and hop in and go for a spin. Have not let my wife drive it yet although the day is coming!! Talk to you soon.

CB
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I let my wife drive my 2000 Jetta and she totalled it! Happy she wasn't hurt, and it was actually blessing in disguise. The insurance company gave us $2500 more than we paid, so I got the same car but in turbo trim and better color!! I wouldn't recommend trashing a car every year, though...
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I wasn't talking about my current car specifically versus my next car, the lovely Jetta. Statistically, an Accord is more reliable than a Jetta. This will still be true if my Jetta gives me no problems over the period of time that I'm driving it. If reliability was my sole reason for getting a car, then I probably would get another Accord. Reliability wasn't a big issue when I got my Accords. I got them because I liked the darn cars. Now I like the Jetta. I think it looks great and is well designed from high quality parts and is fun to drive and is available with a 5-speed with the VR6 and comes well equipped and on and on... Just because the Jetta isn't as reliable as the Accord doesn't mean the car isn't reliable. Were talking 96.5% versus 98.8% here.

Hondas are still improving in reliability. Just not as much as the domestic cars. Then domestic cars have more room for improvement. VW/Audi have improved big time. Going from almost non-existent in the market place to offering some of the most desirable cars in the market place. I also think some car companies are held to a different standard. If Honda or WV would come out with a car with the same build quality as a Dodge, the auto world would crucify them. For example, take the new Dodge Stratus. The outside mirrors don't break away and aren't painted. Has exposed screws at the base of the windshield. I'm going to bed...
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    don't all car makers have break away side mirrors? the Civic used to, then from 96 on it didn't. Same with some Nissans.....

What is up with that? Can that really save them that much money to skimp on that?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My 1996 Cavalier had them. Didn't know how valuable they were until I smacked a pole and the mirror bounced back with only a scratch on its casing. And my 1999 Protege DX has break-away mirrors too. Saved me at least once in the parking lot where I work (tight spaces there), so I am glad someone came up with that feature.
    I know that my 1988 Honda CRX had break away mirrors. Not sure if my new Jetta has them but hopefully I never need them!
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    2k1 Jetta: Has 'em
    1998 Ford Ranger: Has 'em
    1991 Accord: Had 'em
    1984 Accord: Had 'em
    vocus: Those pictures make me thankful I have side airbags. Hope I never need them.
  • magzzrj1magzzrj1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    Hopefully someone can help me. I have a 97 Jetta Trek w/ 16 in. wheels with 205/45 Nitto tires. i would like to upgrade my stock suspension, nut I'am not sure on what kind of struts and shocks are a good combo together. I'am looking for a smooth ride yet handle well at the same time. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Magzz
    My first 2000 Jetta didn't look near as bad as those, and it was a total. Looks like the silver one got hit twice! Ouch!
  • anonymiseanonymise Member Posts: 10
    I hear there is a chip that you can put into the Jetta 1.8T and bring the power output to near that of the Audi TT. Anyone know how much this chip costs, where to get it, and how easy it is to install? Do you need an upgraded suspension, intake, exhaust, or other mods for a Jetta to handle the power?
  • princesaprincesa Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone ever done this? I am looking to buy a Jetta...either a GLS or GLX because I want the sunroof, but I'm not sure if I can afford to buy it. I was looking into leasing, but you have nothing in the end. At least with the Driver's Option you have the car in your name, build equity and have the option of buying or giving back at the end. I would probably buy it, but go this route to have smaller car payments. Is this just a lease in disguise?
    stinks unless you have money for the balloon payment at the end. financing the car again stinks as well - end up paying for like 7 or 8 years on a car.....besides, you don't get to decide what the car is worth at the end - they decide the price when you buy it. not good for the consumer....
    If you want to read a tuner's forum, go to vwvortex.com

From chips to springs to exhaust, it's all there.

anonymise: The 1.8T engine is the EXACT same engine as the TT. Just has a different chip.
  • bikersullybikersully Member Posts: 13
    I own a 97 Jette GS. The Jetta starts fine, but once I put it into gear it stalls when I let out the clutch. The car will restart fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? Also while the engine is running the check engin light is on.
  • motor106motor106 Member Posts: 4
    You are a majority stock holder in replacement
    elec. window motors. Daughters have two 96
    jetta's. wvoa. does not have the tech. expertise
    to place a elec. system in a car. I would love a
    response from someone with these problems.
    Replacement motors and switch appox. 650.00
    a pop. Only replaced (6) windows in one
    and (3) in the other. PS., sunroof has broken
    once in each car. Hard to complain about that
    german engineering.
    have not been a big issue in the A4 jettas. I hear the A3 Jet's were a big mess though with regards to power accesories...
  • sjuhawkssjuhawks Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if vw is selling the new 17 inch wheels? I have the 16 inch ones and don't like them. Any one have a clue about it, or a picture of them?
  • jwink1jwink1 Member Posts: 17
    I have the 17" wheels on my Jetta, they look great! You should be able to buy them from a dealer. You will have to buy tires that fit, stock tires are Michelin Pilots, which are very expensive, but really do the job. I think there is a web site with a picture, but I forgot which. If I can find it again I wiil post it.
    From Volkswagen:
    http://commerce.vw.com/default.htm

There are tons of other third party vendors. Just search around. Also try vwvortex.com and read the forums there for VW tweaking tips/hints from real owners.
    Hello, Has anyone in here purchased a Jetta without the stock VW CD changer and purchased an aftermarket one? I was looking around today and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on one. I am partial to Sony products but I only wanted to spend around 200.00 Any help would be great. Thanks,

CB
    Cbott...Did you get the Monsoon system?
  • elazaruselazarus Member Posts: 6
    My son has been poring through the owners manual trying to find out what the recommended shift points are for this car. No can find.
    Anyone out there know?
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    I have the Monsoon and didn't think it was worth it at first, but I read more of the specs and it seems like it's a pretty good system. I love the way it sounds. I'm just the type that wouldn't normally spend a lot for a mobile audio system- music is not my cars top priority, the way I see it, and that's not where I'm going to put a lot of money (a GPS system yes!). So if it hadn't come with the Monsoon I wouldn't have opted for it, but I'm glad it does have it. I just thumbed through a Crutchfield catalogue last night. It's amazing what all they have. If you're looking for a different system they're definitely a recommended stop.
    Yes, I do have the Monsoon System in the car, but just the radio. Thanks, Any suggestions?
    I also looked through the book when I purchased my 1.8T last week. As far as I can see, they are not listed.
    Awesome system!!!

Anyway, if you want to utilize the space in the trunk for the CD changer and the Monsoon CD changer features, and do not want to buy the dealer changer, you HAVE to get the Panasonic DCP-601 model plus an added interface. I could be wrong on the exact model number, but it's the 6 CD changer.

I already went through all this and they (aftermarket sound dweebs) were trying to install the 8 CD changer in mine and never could get it to work. I ended up at the dealer, but got an awesome deal **way** below the normal $400 or so for the changer.

Anyway, adding the changer is a very nice upgrade!
  • gwd17gwd17 Member Posts: 13
    Shift points are not listed probably because it is all dependent on the driver and what they want out of the car. If you wanted to, you could be in fifth gear at 45 MPH, but when your car won't run well at 80 MPH a few years down the road, don't blame anyone. I think it comes down to fuel mileage versus performance. Assuming the engine is revving above 2K RPM, you could be in whatever gear you wanted, but the engine, tranny, etc. will become accustomed to it. So if you are in fifth gear at a pretty low speed, you're probably getting very good gas mileage but it'll end up hurting the performance in the long run. Personally, I find myself shifting (under normal circumstances) somewhere in the mid 3000 RPM range, and take fourth gear up to about 60 MPH.
  • NovemberNovember Member Posts: 21
    Just wondered if anyone has pulled off or damaged bumpers when parking in lots with the cement stops.

No flames or parking lectures please--just an informal survey.
  • republicanrepublican Member Posts: 11
    I been reading the VolksWagon forums on Edmunds.com and on other places on the Internet and I got to say I cannot believe what you people will put up with to drive a car that is not as smooth and powerful and good looking as those that GM make.
  • jwink1jwink1 Member Posts: 17
    You mean like the Aztek?
    Remember, this forum is a sounding board, and most commonly, people experiencing problems come here for advice and information. Take a look at all the GM forums on Edmunds and you won't believe what those people put up with to drive GM cars with loud engines, suspect transmisions, cheap interior parts, uncomfortable seats, and terrible stereos!!! Shall I go on? No? Okay, then, so go test drive a VW...

BTW, my 1.8T dusted a Grand Am with 3800 V-6, and YES, he was trying...
    Well I came close. I had the afternoon off and went to Home Depot to get some blinds. When I left I was spacing it and forgot that the stop was in front of me. I drove right over it, realized what I did and stopped immediately, then panicked and reversed right off of it. I got out and looked to see if I could see any leaks or anything, then went home. I took it to the dealer a few days later just to have it checked. They said there were no impact marks and everything was fine. Whew. Major sigh of relief.
    gregj - how do you think a Chevy Cavalier would have done?

ALL - I posted my VW experience on a recent long road trip, and would like to hear others' reports on their trips - any out there?
    Our first decent trip (200 mi round trip), the second weekend we had the car, was to the coast (Ilwaco, WA) to do some salmon fishing in the Columbia River.

Since the Jetta is the wife's car, I am still getting used to it and was finding myself uncomfortable with the seating. My arms were getting tired and it just felt weird compared to the Accord we just traded in.

When we arrived at the motel I took the manual in for some reading and found out about the telescoping steering wheel! Oh man! What a difference!

The car ran just fine through the coastal mountains and pulled up the grades just fine leaving most other cars behind.

Pretty much drove the limit with a few bursts up to 75 for a few seconds. Was still under 500 miles, so couldn't get on it too hard. ;-)

We averaged 31 mpg!!! Not too bad for a brand new, not yet broken in car that's supposed to only get 28 on the highway.

The coolest thing about this car is that for the first month or so, you keep finding all these awesome little features, like the hood release that just pops out when you lift the hood a little.

The most fun part of this drive was waking up one cold, foggy-ocean morning, opening the sunroof and the windows a bit, turning on the seat heaters and taking a spin down the coastal highway!! Yeah, baby!!!
    Well my thoughts exactly. I meant to mention to Ramon that I don't see any Cavaliers / Sunbirds with 100K/10yr powertrain warranties....
    There is one warranty on the Cavalier that lasts for 100,000 miles. It's the warranty on the recall that Chevrolet issued about the 2.2 engine in the Cavalier since 1992 blowing head gaskets. :)
    *snicker*
    Thought you would like that one.

Chevrolet isn't lenient with that warranty either. My best friend's Cavalier spewed everything into the street at 100,500 miles and they said it wasn't their problem because he was 500 miles over the grace period of the warranty. Another friend of mine took his in and got the head replaced, but Chevrolet decided to use the same head bolts in the new head as the old one, even though they got a memo saying not to do that from Chevy corporate themselves. What a mess.
    who keeps a Cavalier for 100k miles?? kidding..., kind of
    I actually had a used one a few years back, it was a repo so I got it for like $500, sold it just in time because guess what happened afterwards- ep, the head gasket problem! But I digress, this is the Jetta forum so I'll stay on topic. <y VR6 is the smoothest engine I've ever driven , ready willing and able. I had an old '80's Rabbit diesel a few years back also, which likewise had a head gasket problem. VW's have improved tremendously since then.
  • lawrence10lawrence10 Member Posts: 6
    My experience was Terrible,In my oppinion piece of crap!!!!!I have gotten rid of my 2000 Jetta vr6 already.Lost alot of money.VW is not on my list of favorite cars!!!
  • idgeidge Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if you can choose the 17'' VW wheels that come with the PZA package (Sport Luxury) or is it just one standard? If so are they listed somewhere?

Thanks.
    I just have to say it, that it amazes me that so many people who think VW's are a bunch of crap continually seek out VW - related sites like this one to complain. I can see current owners, but people who no longer even HAVE a VW? I don't know about you, but when someone or something pisses me off and I want nothing more to do with the person or thing then the LAST thing I'm going to do is seek them out or seek out things that would remind me of them. Unless of course I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time.
    Check out the wheels at: http://commerce.vw.com/default.htm

Then select your type of car and then wheels. There are also tons of third-party wheels too. I am sure that VW would be happy to put on any kindof wheels you would want. For the right $$$.

Anyway, have fun shopping for your new toy.
    The interesting thing Greg, is that this same crap happens no matter where you go. Check out a DVD forum, a HDTV forum, a Buick forum, a Sony vs. Denon forum, a pet forum, a computer forum, etc, etc, etc.

No matter what you have, or how good it performs, there is someone else out there who gets their thrills on knocking what you have. The funny thing is that most of these people don't even believe what they're typing. They are just arguing for the sake of arguing and have no factual reasoning behind what they claim.
  • lexzoomlexzoom Member Posts: 2
    I have to agree with you, I guess all I have to say is if you have had a car that you've had a bad experience with, it really sucks, however there are far more people that have had great experiences with those same cars, so let's just take a step back and take a look at what their real problem is, um let's see, maybe they are jealous of the fact that my jetta is better than whatever they are currently driving, and they are pissed off that they got rid of their jetta, if they even ever had one, and they are trying to make everyone as unhappy as they are with their cavalier or whatever.
    I didn't want to make fun of anyone's funky Cavalier. ;-)

The great point you make there lexzoom, is that if someone does get a lemon then of course they will bad mouth that manufacturer. I would!

I had a 1981 VW Rabbit that I hated!! I swore off VW's for life! But, it really wasn't the car I hated, it was the service people in the town I was living in. The car was a great car, but I never liked it because the dealer was bad.

Heck, now that we haven't had our 1991 Accord for two months since trading it, there are several things I can list that I didn't like about that car, but there's no point in it really.

I have better things to do than run around trying to pi$$ off a bunch of Honda owners. ;-))

I do have to say though that of all the cars I have owned, this Jetta is definitely the most fun car of them all. And the quality is outstanding! So far I have not found one single flaw. Nada. Nyet. Nothing!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I picked up my new Jetta last Thursday. A Galactic Blue VR6 GLS with the 5-speed. I need to get my Honda back because I'm having more fun than a human being is allowed to have driving a car. My high expectations for the car have been met and then some. It's as solid as a tank and drives like a dream. Thanks WV for offering such a great car that I can afford. I been converted. I'm driving a wise man's BMW 3 series.
    Congrats!!!!!!! Nobody's gonna be able to slap that smile off your face for quite some time to come. That Galactic Blue is a nice color and really looks good on the Jetta. In fact, there are really none of the Jetta colors I don't like.

Enjoy!

One bad side-effect of a new Jetta is that your fuel bill increases by about 50%!!