Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    I was busy too.

Usually, my wife and I trade days driving. This morning, she started walking out toward the Jetta. I asked her why she wasn't taking her car, and she said "You car has more gas... and um.. we'd have to scrape my windows."

She just likes the seat heaters and the turbo. She's not fooling me. :^D
  • joedriverjoedriver Member Posts: 2
    Before I purchased my Jetta, I did some research on them. It seems that people either have a good one or a bad one. If your lucky and end up with a good one you'll love the car. If your unlucky it will drive you nuts. Unfortunatly I'm in the wrong category. I love my car, but my latest breakdown is unbelievable. The coolant sensor's seal failed, and antifreeze traveled up through the wiring harness. (There is actually a technical bulletin on this) It shorted out "EVERYTHING"; it's been in the shop for the past week. I stopped in to check on it today, and there were parts everywhere--all over the interior, hanging out of the trunk, laying on the roof, in boxes surrounding the car--there is no way they are every going to be able to put my car back together correctly. Needless to say, I started looking at new cars today and have given up on VW.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    That is why cars come with warranties...they will
    make your car right or you get a new one...make
    sure that you keep a *narrative* regarding this issue...He said, she said stuff...word for word...
    Trust me on this...
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    Thats interesting b/c my wife's coolant sensor failed on her 2000, of course, just outide the 2 yr/24K warranty. This is one the biggest problem with these cars IMHO, that the warranty is so short. I hear that the 2002 have a longer warranty which would have caught the few things that happened to ours out of warranty. The coolant sensor etc. was about 300 bucks to have done, I just didn't want to drive a car that I couldn't see what the temp was! Our dealer has been good about getting things fixed which is probably a big reason why my experience hasn't been bad. Anything that happened under warranty was fixed promptly and correctly the first time without a lot of hassle.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    glad to see that nothing changed here while i was gone :)

as far as creaks and having to check your oil - like i have always said - if checking your oil and buying some tape at home depot is all your car requires, then consider yourself lucky!! think about it. what other car out there compares? nothing. not without MORE problems. safety related or engine turning over related problems. not to mention the whole "boredom inducing" problem. i say keep home depot in business buying the tape stuff, and enjoy the jetta! :) sure, in a perfect world, a $20k would not require any work to make it perfect, but this is not a perfect world. i prefer knowing what problem my car has, and what the really easy fix is. pity the Honda and Toyota and Mazda owners who have no idea what is coming....seized motors, transmissions falling out just after the 36k mile mark, airbag problems, etc. i bet those owners would be happy to just have to deal with a creak here and there and a little harmless oil consumption.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Honda and Toyota and Mazda owners who have no idea what is coming....seized motors, transmissions falling out just after the 36k mile mark, airbag problems" Jeez....Give me a break.

Are you implying that the above mentioned problems happen more often on Mazda, Toyota, and Honda cars than VW cars? If so, then you need a reality check. Hmm...On VW cars, all you need to do is buy some tape at home depot and check the oil. If you have a Honda, Toyota, or a Mazda OTOH, you will have to worry about seized motors, transmissions falling out, and airbag problems. Thanks for breaking it down for me Justin. I'm getting a VW for my next car!
    Hey man, I love my Jetta too, but I don't expect it to live up to the reliability of my previous Accord. The worst thing I can say about the Accord was that it was a bit boring... but I never had the tiniest problem with it. I can say the same for my wife's 95 Accord as well.

Appreciate your Jetta for what it is, but don't make it out to be something it's not.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Which Jettas can be had with factory leather and no moonroof? I understand that you might be able to do this with a TDI. What about the gassers?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You must get the sunroof with the leather on all the Jettas. Sorry. :(
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    The new Jetta GLI will come with a Leather option
    and a seperate *Moonroof & Monsoon* Pkg.

In addition, any enterprising Dealer should be
    able to order the car any way that you want it...
    Only thing required from you is a little patience.

I know this is true because I do it everyday...:)
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    ive seen some leathers without sunroof..and many sunroofs with cloth...
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    What the hell is that? What engine will it come with and what features will it have? Just out of curiousity.
  • phishockeyphishockey Member Posts: 24
    The Jetta GLI is a trim level VW is bringing back from many years ago. First off, it has a new 24v 200-hp engine. It has all the sport features: 6-speed manual tranny, 3-spoke steering wheel, 17" wheels, sport suspension. To keep the cost down, it doesn't have all the luxuries of the GLX. But, for people who want some of the luxuries, there are options: sunroof & Monsoon stereo package, leather package, and cold weather package which has heated seats. The colors are limited as well: black, reflex silver, galactic blue & tornado red. Base price is: $22,950.
    Glad I could help "break it down for you." :) Which model of Jetta do you drive now? What engine does it have? How much oil is your Jetta using? Where are your rattles and creaks coming from in your Jetta? Just curious -
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    I have a VR6 and on cold days?! when I start my engine, my muffler shakes and vibrates for 10-20second like its choking.. and the exhaust looks as if though its gonna fall off any moment, but then it goes aways. Is this normal with a VR6? is it the cold cold weather? can someone help me out here? Thanks!
  • xudxud Member Posts: 32
    I have owned my 2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8 T for almost 6 months. I had also owned
    a 1989 VW Jetta GL from 1993 to 2000. Both are
    5 speed manual. I would
    like to make some comparisons betwen the two
    models. I hope VW will read this!

While the new model is better in certain areas (e.g. safty, power, apperance) than the
    old model that I owned, to my disappointment
    in several important areas the new model is worse than the old one. I hope VW could address the
    problems and improve them in the future
    models. Here are the details:
    1) Suspension: the suspension on the new model
    is too soft and caused too much body roll.
    The car wavers like crazy on bumpy and uneven road!
    It makes me very nervous and uncomfortable!
    But my 89 Jetta's suspension was perfect, no
    body roll, I drove it with a feel of
    control and confidence. Why VW change a good suspension in a 89 model to a bad suspension in 02 model???

2) Rattles - The 2002 model has several annoying rattles on the doors since new. My 89 model had none for the 7 years I owned
    from 1993 to 2000. Why VW
    cannot solve a rattle problem in the new
    model which was not an issue in the old model???

3) Manual Shift - It's more difficult to
    use the 5 speed manual shift in the 02 model
    than the 89 model. In the new model that
    shift is not smooth, it seems that there is something blocking the path. Occasionally it
    refuses to get into the 1st gear. The old
    model shifts perfectly. Why VW no longer makes good manual shift?

4) Steering wheel: The 02 model has less
    precision feel and is less responsive than the
    89 model.

5) Interior and Trunk space: Although the
    new model is much heavier than the old model,
    it's less spacious in interior and trunk
    space. Many people complain lack of leg room
    in the rear seat. In my opinion it would be
    great if VW can increase the length of
    Jetta by 4 inches - 2 inches for the rear leg
    room and 2 inches for the trunk. With the
    increase the length I believe the Jetta will
    appeal to more potential customers who do
    not buy the current model due to its lack
    of space.

Overall, i think the performance and space of my old 89 Jetta was better than my current 02 Jetta. I regret that VW did not improve on these areas but make it worse!

I am not saying that the 02
    Jetta is a bad car, it's still a good car compared
    with other Japanese and domestic cars in the
    price range. And I still prefer Jetta over other
    makes. But it could have been better!
    I don't need to drive a Jetta to know that Honda, Toyota and Mazda don't have problems with "seized motors, transmissions falling out just after the 36k mile mark, airbag problems" and VWs don't. You were saying that Jetta's have little problems like door creaks and oil consumption and Mazdas, Hondas, and Toyotas have transmissions falling out after warranty. How ridiculous!

Which model Honda, Toyota, or Mazda do you drive? How many transmissions have fallen out? How many airbags have you replaced? How many new engines have been installed due to engine seizure? Just curious....
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Justin, will be gone for a week.

-Larry
    Throwing mud already this early in the morning? I wish some people would get just a little more mature (not saying any names at all), and get over it.

On another note, I called Goodyear about taking my VW to them for its 10K service. (The dealer charges $65 for this, and I don't think it's worth it personally.) Goodyear said the oil filter for my car will cost $27! I almost sat right down on the floor when he told me that. I can not believe it! $27 for an oil filter? UGH! This car will be going before the warranty runs. I can just imagine how much other parts will cost...
    I drove my car yesterday with one of the managers or something (he had on a tie and a white shirt, so he was someone kinda important in the service dept.). We drove it for 7 miles, and over rough roads too. He said he didn't hear anything rattling in my car. I heard the dash by the left roof pillar a couple times, and also so have at least 3 other people that I know (including my dad, who was with me last night when I went there). The guy said that typically, people cause themselves more problems trying to investigate these rattles, and they mostly go away when the parts "seat" themselves, or something dumb like that. I told him that I didn't realize my $25K car would rattle until it seated, and that was the dumbest thing I ever did hear. And a poor excuse for VW's poor workmanship. He was mad, but I didn't care. I also told him I wanted someone else to drive the car, because he didn't hear it. He said that was fine, but no one was available last night (I will have to go back). Then he sat there and told my dad he didn't hear the car, and my dad asked him if he was hard of hearing (I almost lost it right there).

So of course, no resolve AGAIN. This is getting sickening. The 1.8T is alot of fun to drive, but I will be unloading it as soon as I can and getting something else that doesn't need 20K for its dashboard parts to seat. That is the dumbest thing I ever heard too, and (like I said before) a poor excuse for poor workmanship.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Vocus, going back to the Protege?

If you like VW so much, get a Golf. My sister's Golf is quiet, tight and rattle free. I don't see this rattle complaints on the Golf boards as much as in the Jetta boards. I think the Mexican "Engineering and Manufacturing" is catching up with them.

If buying a VW, avoid the Mexican made models at all costs. Stick with the German or Brazilian made models.

Parts need to seat? Yeah right! Classic service balooney. My Impala LS at almost 12K miles does not rattle, creak or squeak...tight and quiet the way any new car should be.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    HUH! An OEM oil filter for 1.8T is $6.25 and a MANN oil filter is $5.89. You should sell your Jetta ASAP before the special $3.00/gallon VW gas and $9.00/qt VW special oil bankrupt you.
    VW parts are more expensive than Chevy parts, but did you check anyplace else besides Goodyear?
    An oil filter at autoparts store such as AutoZone is a whopping $2.86.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Your posts read more and more like mine. I'm starting to ignore my rattles. too busy with other things right now. :(
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    please keep the car! for heaven sakes, nobody wants to see you spend $30k on something with a sticker of $20k.
    Ha, ha, funny. I am not going to sell the car because of the oil filter price. I was just shocked, that's all. I can get them from one of the dealers here in Md. (with coupon) for $5.45 each. I was just shocked when they told me it cost so much for an oil filter.
    I am going to keep this car at least until it's paid off. I am tired of paying car payments, and want to do something else with my money.
    Teo: I am just really mad at these rattles. I was thinking about getting a Passat next (but that's 3 or so years down the road), but I don't know now.

Blueguy: Our posts are starting to sound similar. I can ignore the rattles, but am still mad because this car is doing this. I will keep it, but this will more than likely be my last VW.
    huh? what are you saying? i asked you what kind of jetta you had and you are getting defensive? are you saying that you DO NOT have one? interesting. so, with that, when i made my statement to jetta owners telling them that we are lucky in some cases with the problems we have and don't have, how did you take that post as being directed to you? you don't have a jetta, so i obviously was not talking to you. how did you come up with the idea that you should respond to my post? just curious.

i have owned a 94 Sentra LE, a 96 Protege LX and 96 Integra GS-R, a 97 Civic HX, a 98 Altima GXE, a 99 Jetta GLS-VR6, a 00 Elantra, a 01 Civic EX, and a 02 Jetta GLS 1.8T. All purchased new.

The only cars that have not given me real problems have been the VW's, a close second being the Nissans. I have OWNED and DRIVEN all of the cars listed above. So, guess what, I can speak to how reliable they are, from my own experience.

My point is that, YES, the Japanese manufacturers have many SERIOUS reliability problems, and lawsuits. I am NOT saying that VW does not, but VW is not ANY WORSE than the others. HELLO, I came back to VW for reliability purposes.

Why do you get so defensive? I am not in your Protege board dissing your car. Don't have to....you know what your car is like, that is why you are here. Why are you here trying to ruin the Jetta experience for others, when you have no credibility? Instead of just lurking in here, you should go get your Jetta and just be happy, instead of insulting it because you settled for less. That is all it ever boils down to, guys and girls. The only people that see fit to diss other cars are the people that are jealous. I know it sounds bad, but think long and hard about it, it is true. I mean, BlueGuy and Vocus have legitimate beefs. They own the cars, and I believe their problems. So far though, lots of others here just need to bite the bullet and get a Jetta instead of being so miserable.
    Someone had asked about that. When I had my VR6, in the mornings, it would always shake and rumble for about 20 seconds, then it would calm down. I noticed that pre-99 VR6's did the same thing in the Passats and Jettas. Part of the car I guess. My muffler or exhaust never fell off, and the car passed VA emissions inspections just fine.

Does anyone know, with 2002, has the 2.0 liter oil issue been resolved? Speaking from a Cabrio point of view. Or for 2002, do you still just need to make sure that you check your oil? It woudln't differ between the Jetta 2.0 and the Cabrio 2.0, right? Same engine specs, right?
    Why did I reply to you? Because the heading of your post was directed at me. I'm not in here dissing the Jetta. I'm in here because I like to be. I'm also in here because I like to call B.S. B.S. does not go un-noticed with me. I am far from miserable about my Protege. I am not jealous of your Jettas. I wouldn't trade my Protege even up for a brand new Jetta unless I could sell it right away. That doesn't mean that I don't like Jettas, and that doesn't mean that I cannot post in here. FYI, I'm talking my parents into getting a new Passat. I will no longer respond to your posts because the things you say are completely ridiculous. You bought a Jetta for it's reliability? Enough said.
  • jabildajabilda Member Posts: 47
    Go check out the Toyota sludge post - all cars have problems at some time. Even Toyota. So shut the sludge up.
    I never said that Toyotas or any car is problem free did I? Toyota has got quite a mess on it's hands now.

P.S. Don't *ever* tell me to shut up.
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    My experience with interior rattles tells me to ignore them. When I brought rattles to service departments the last 13 years, they usually failed to remedy them. And I'd guess that 75% of the rattles went away over time. Luck, I guess. But rattles are nagging, regardless of your car's cost.

On the reliability of different marques, I disagree that Toyotas and Hondas have severe issues more frequently. Just go to the NHTSA and look up recalls the last 10 years. VW/ Audi/ Porsche has many more problems than Toyota or Honda, although the margin is shrinking. I'll admit recalls can be a misleading metric, though, since the North American business units hesitate to post recalls. This is the case with Toyota and their 3+ million motors with sludge potential- their abusive North American group blames it on the cars' owners.

Just be glad you don't drive Jeeps, people!
    newcar31:

you aren't going to respond to my posts anymore? somehow, i think i will live :) seriously, your call. probably a good idea.

everyone:

don't get me wrong - i am NOT saying that the Japanese brands are problematic. but, i have to defend VW when people say that VW is more problematic. in certain areas, maybe, but it all evens out in the end. not only does toyota make good sturdy and reliable cars, but they make cars with engine and MAJOR tranmission problems. not only does VW make stylish and safe cars, but they make cars that rattle and have engine light problems. i prefer the rattles and engine malfunction lights over engine sludge and transmission problems. just my preference.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    don't be decieved...take a look at JD Powers long-term studies sometime.
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    Given your preference for rattles over "major" problems, it begs the question- why do you drive a 2001 Honda instead of a 2001 Volkswagen?

Looking at JD Power & Associates' comparisons, I priortized Long-Term Reliability as "Very Important", and Mechanical Quality as a close 2nd most important trait. All other traits, I left under "Not Important". The resulting recommendations, based on the 8 cars I selected:

1. Toyota Corolla
    2. Honda Accord Sedan
    3. Honda Civic Sedan
    4. Toyota Camry
    5. Nissan Maxima
    6. Nissan Altima
    7. Volkswagen Passat
    8. Volkswagen Jetta

Apparently, VW receives good marks for initial quality, but they drop off the map for long-term reliability. Hey- at least they beat a few Hyundais and Fords when I went back and tried again ; )
    Many VW fans refuse to believe statistical data. They take their personal experiences as gospel. Some VW fans even believe that their personal experiences somehow carry over to the whole of a model line. How a person can convince himself of this is beyond my ken.

Can you imagine the only Yugo owner ever with two trouble-free cars proclaiming to the world that all Yugos must be good cars because neither of his have exhibited any problems? I couldn't fathom such a scenario until I bought a VW and met a handful of delusional types who deny evidence and point to personal experience.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I love my 2000 VR6. This was my first German car and amazed by how meticulously it was built so that everything I can touch and feel is perfectly tuned (I almost believe that the door is made way heavier than neccessary just make the sound when it is closed better). I'm not talking only about interior and exterior. The sensitive steering response, predictable behaviour, and the engine are just great. Of course, if you push this car too hard, it stats to fall apart, which many car journalists do not like, such as the suspension that bottoms out so easily and the engine loses its steam at high rpm ranges, but it's not what this car is made for.

I even like the rough idling with the explosion of exhaust until the engine gets warmed up. It reminds my first car I got 20 years ago (1.3L Toyota) and this kind of trait almost extincted in this era!!

However, I must admit that I become more and more scared by so many posting in the "jetta problems" section and my Jetta starts to have problems too...

Now I am thinking two things. If I got two major problems (I mean more than $500), I would immediately get rid of my Jetta because I've never got such multiple problems in my 20 years of experiences with Japanese cars (more than 10 cars including those ownd by family members). Second, my wife is about to buy a car and Passat wagon was one of the top lists, but I remove the name.

Every car has pros and cons and the greatness of my Jetta outweights anything so far. However, some people (like my wife) does not appreciate a penny for such "greatness" in driving experience. She just wants a spacious yet compact automatic car.

It is a FACT that Toyota is more reliable than VW in terms of probability. But I found something in my Jetta, which I can never expect from Toyata and I would love to take the risk for that. I guess things boil down to this point isn't it? If Toyota looks better, drives better, and more reliable than VW, VW should have extincted long time ago.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    well I was planning on taking my car in on Thursday before my one year is up so that they can chekc my brakes since they seem really weak and crappy comapred earlier...I also want them to take care of some rattles, but also, sometimes, or most times when slowing down and tunring onto a driveway or such, I hear a grinding of sorts. A couple of days ago when I was signaling, I noticed the blinker goes on the fritz and speeds up then goes back to normal, then today it did it more frequently then it would stop, then once i reset it, and signaled again, it would be fine then speed up again...so that goes on my list to...So my lease is up in 2004 and I am already considering what car I can get that has the german car feel and features std. and has personaility, and all I can consider basically would be a used Audi A4 or BMW 3-series but affording those seems tough and the Audi may have similar problems as the VW...I'm pretty sure I can say that this to will be my last VW for a while...
  • mlayton694mlayton694 Member Posts: 45
    Your Jetta was not built by Germans, it was built by Mexicans,
    Likewise,many of the popular Japanese cars are built by Americans, so there is no reason to hang on to some kind of nationalism where quality is concerned,
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    All of you complaining about rattles, I just sold my Jeep Cherokee (not because of rattles), you should drive that for a while if you think your Jetta is noisy! I loved that truck but it had to go unfortunately. Jeeps rattle, thats what the service dept would say, and they were right. They never could fix them anyway. I fixed a few with a little effort and patience. Mostly I just turned up the radio and enjoyed my Jeep. My wife's Jetta sounds like a Lexus compared to it so its all about prospective. There is one annoying "buzz" in the dash at a certain RPM that I am determined to fix however, it just takes someone to drive at that RPM while you push and prod until you find out where it is comming from. It never did it until recently (over 30K miles), it was basically rattle free for the first 30K which I think is pretty reasonable for a car. I think we got lucky from reading all of these posts. We also have the base model, the GL, not a lot of stuff to go wrong I guess. Does anyone here have a new Jetta with high mileage? What is like at this milage? Is it running strong? Has the motor self destructed from oil consumption or has the interior rattled apart?
    I bought my Jetta because I drove it and loved it. I knew I would potentially have some problems, but I was bored with my 98 Accord Coupe. It was very competent, reliable, and smooth. It was also just too boring.

I got tired of having to floor it to get the car to MOVE, and I had the V6. I just don't like the high-revving engines, I guess. My 1.8T puts down max torque at 1950, which is a welcome change from the Honda, where I had to wait until 4700 before the car started to pull.

I'll admit that the Jetta has too soft a suspension, but I blame this on the American soft butt, not on Volkswagen. VW is just building things so they'll sell well. Most Americans want a squishy, soft butt ride. I was talking about getting a sport setup on the car and my wife asked why I would want to feel the road.

I guess that's why she drives a 95 Accord. It's been a good appliance for her. Personally, I think it's torture and I try to avoid driving it at all costs. Not only is it totally devoid of character, but it's slow too. At least my Coupe could get out of its own way.

Anyway, drive what you like, but I thought it might be interesting to provide a perspective from a former Honda owner. I've had some nice reliability, but I decided to take my chances and go for some fun.

$.02
    I agree with you whole-heartedly. I've had uber-reliable (a Nissan Stanza manual) and the epitome of daily repairs (a Ford EXP), but this time I wanted a dash of luxury and some zesty power (and room for more). I searched high and low and settled on the Jetta.

I just visited my second car show this year and left once more thinking that unless the G35 turns out to be a real blast to drive, I can't see myself parting with the Jetta until I can afford an M3 or something akin to that.

It's a trade off. Small back seat, weird rattles, horrible handling at the limit, but yet there's a solid, safe, near-luxurious feel to a VW that's a refreshing change from the staid cars churned out by Japanese and American nameplates. How weird is it to attend a car show and realize there's nothing under 33k that you can see buying at the moment?

BTW, anyone else find it funny that the MB coupe seems to be a fizzle in the sales department? They're not as hideous as Acura's Civic-clone RSX, but good grief the c-coupe's interior does not feel like an MB or even of VW quality.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    i also came from a 98 accord coupe v6. it's fair to say that i enjoyed my accord a lot more than you did. i'm really looking forward to the redesigned accord this fall. you must of been deceived by the accord's acceleration. 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. probably because it's more linear than the turbo's. i really miss my accord when i make long trips where you can cruise at high speeds. the accord's v6 is silent with low engine noise. tire noise can be a problem on some road surfaces though. my jetta vr6 on the other hand has high engine (gets busy too) and wind noise above 80. other than the ergonomics, i have no other issues with the jetta and think it's a fun car to drive. love the fit and finish and thoughtful features too. i'm going to give the passat (along with the 03 accord coupe/sedan) high consideration for my next car.
    Just out of curiousity, where did you find that JD Power info? Thanks.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No more Cool White, Blue Lagoon, Bright Green and Tornado Red
    Color replacement: Alaska Green; new color: Platinum Grey
    Two trims (GLS, GLX, no more base GL)
    Standard cold-weather package for all Jettas
    Standard sport suspension for GLX, not available for GLS
    Standard side-curtain airbag protection
    VR6 for GLX only, no longer for GLS
    No more Monsoon stereo upgrade as stand-alone option
    No more grey interiors (includes cloth, leatherette, leather)
    I completely agree with you: nothing under $33K is appealing. I'm getting the new GLI in a couple months cause there isn't anything else out there that excites me. It's quite sad that there's nothing in this price range that's really exciting. I just pray I get one of the good Jettas, and not have too many problems.
    Just curious, where'd you get the 2003 info?
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I agree with you guys too. However, problem is, over 33K is quite a lot. If we look around 20K, after owning VR6 for two years, I still have to say, 1.8T/VR6 is still at the top of the list. I mean, what's else out there? New Altima V6 and Accord V6 look good but they are more expensive and bigger than Jetta. I guess Jetta has the best combination of luxury and driving fun in this class, which overcomes the reliability risk. Funny thing is that I am quite sure that I'll not buy Jetta again and I can't wait my loan finishes in 2004. This is a kind of sense that I've never had before. I like this car, but I don't want to keep it,,, strange...

Although at my age I start to appreciate luxuary over driving fun, I'm thinking about WRX or STi for my next car. In this way, maybe I can feel that I'm younger for a while :-)
    The WRX was a major contender for me. It came down to the interiors and a feeling of safety. While the WRX is proven to be fast, reliable and structurally sound, it didn't impart any semblance of luxury or sense of protection. After looking at I-club photos I know the Rex holds up in crashes but still it didn't "feel" safe. If they'd dropped a bit more cash into the interior, I'd be all over the Rex. Oh well. Maybe with the Evo coming Subaru will up the luxury quotient. My bro-in-law's brother has a WRX that he's slightly modded and it's now producing over 270 horses. Egad!