Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Now that you have your car back does it still rattle?
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    yes, VW should fix the issue that causes the rattle. though it didn't start in 99. but, my 2002 rattled, i took it in, they fixed it in 15 minutes flat. 9k miles later, no rattles. i will gladly take a Jetta with a rattle over anything else in the Jetta price range. no other car offers 8 speaker stereo, a/c, power everything, 180 hp, 8 airbags/ABS, and a beautiful interior/exterior for under $30k.

taking the car in tomorrow for the 10k service and the ABS recall. not going to do synthetic - just not worth it right now.

did everyone see the econo-SPORT Edmunds test? Jetta did pretty good. again, one of the best qualities about the Jetta that people mention is fit and finish and build quality. not to mention the turbo and brakes and interior/exterior design :) i wonder why they keep testing the Jetta? it doesn't really change. neither do the complaints about it. it is not a sports car! and it is doesn't have room. heard it all before Edmunds.....are you listening? ;)
    sorry about all your mess. see, sometimes it pays to not search for problems. dealers almost always make things worse. i hate them. luckily, i found one that i really like, knock on wood. who knows, my car might be dirty when i pick it up tomorrow. ;) it seems like your cars seem to have a lot of drama, huh?

sounds like you need to get out of Baltimore, move to DC, and take the Metro. it doesn't rattle one bit :)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There is one thing they did not do right to it. They forgot to clean my molding, and left it sticking away from the dash STILL. They get it right this time, or I get another car. That's pretty much been established already.
    I did not search for a problem. I took the car for a rattle in the dash, which they fixed. They need to put the molding back the way it was though, and they have not done it. Now, the climate control lights went out too, and they need to fix that. Drama, drama, drama. :)
    I just wanted to see if that rubber treatment actually worked. I would hope so after holding your car for so long. Did you see what exactly the rubber treatment was?
    The treatment was not really the problem. The doors have not rattled for a long time in my car. I don't even know why they did the treatment. The problem was the dash rattling, not the damn doors. I guess it worked, I don't know.

The outside left mirror whistles too, like there's too much space between it and the door or something. It did it before, and it's back again. Also, the rubber treatment was some kind of petroleum jelly like stuff, from what I understand.
    Sounds like it's the same as that gummi stuff that somebody was talking about earlier.
    It does sound the same, but it would not have taken that long to get in. This dealership also sells BMWs too, so it could have gotten that stuff sooner.
    you can bet that the dealer caused the climate control lights to go out. that happened to me once in my old Sentra. they work inside the car, and then forget to hook up wires the right way.

that will be an easy fix, though it should never have happened in the first place.

who knows, you might be able to get them to switch cars with you.

did you drive the loaner to Chicago? long drive? was it comfortable? i have only ever taken my Jetta on 4 hour drives, and it was fine. chicago is like 8 hours, right?
    Chicago is like 12 hours actually, but you lose an hour in Ohio because of time. It took 12 hours or so both ways. My friend and I drove the New Beetle. It was comfortable, but I missed some stuff like the heated seats when it got cold there a little. I also missed the turbo (the NB was a 2.0), mainly because of the power and the fuel economy was the same as mine.

I should have no problem getting them to switch cars if mine keeps having problems and they cannot resolve them. I am going to try one more time though. My mileage is 14K now, and the lemon law is 15K in Maryland, so they better come on with it.
    I will definitely win the "dummy of the decade" for this happening. Listen.

I was going to a friend's house earlier tonight, and I cut through this parking lot to miss a red light. Well, I had to turn right from the lot, and decided to squeeze past this van that was making a left from the same place. I thought I had enough room. Boy, was I surprised when I heard a POP! from the right side of my car. A hole big enough for TWO FINGERS to go into! DAMN IT! 14,000 miles on the tire, and $180 for its replacement.

I am very sad right now. Got the car out of the shop after 5 weeks, and now this. I am doomed I guess. :(
  • coolwhitecoolwhite Member Posts: 14
    When will VW delete using the upper weatherseal which is a hard durometer rubber material and replace it with a soft rubber seal similiar to the one on Saab 9-3 and 9-5. This will totally eliminate the noise! I have eliminated my door creaks/rattles with GM Silicone Emulsion part#10953014 from your friendly GM parts desk. Refer to post #4145.
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    Why is your tire so expensive? Is it a 17"? What brand tires come on the Jetta in 17"? That seems like an aweful lot for just one tire. I know my tires on my Civic Si were $144 for the stock ones, but they were crappy. I ended up getting some Yokohama's and they are light years better in terms of road noise, wet, dry and snow traction and the best thing was that they were about $80 per tire installed.
    Vocus has the 17" wheels. $180 is pretty darn expensive, but just remember, it could be worse :) You could have to replace the alloy wheel too. I have been there....not fun.
    I remember when I had a 89 cutlass supreme. It was the first year of the newer body style two door. My wife at the time must have hit a pot hole and didn't admit it because the tire was leaking air. When I went to get it remounted they shoed me a huge crack in the inner wheel where the air was leaking from. I went to the dealer to see how much the new wheel would cost, it would have been $450 or so, just for one wheel. I ended up getting it from the junk yard for about $100 I think. I am not even sure how much my Civic Si rims are, but I could get some cheap since everyone and there mother are replacing them with after market 17's. I have seen all four as low as $450.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    He doesn't HAVE to replace that Z-rated ultra-high-performance tire with one of the same rating. I just replaced the V-rated Bridgestone Potenzas on my 2000 Protege ES with a set of H-rated Dunlop SP Sport A2s ... they're light-years ahead in traction (especially wet traction) but cost only $87 apiece at TireRack, compared to $109 for the Potenzas.

Who's gonna drive 150 in a Jetta anyway? I've had my Protege up to 105, and that's as fast as I'll ever care to drive. That falls well under the max speed rating for an HR tire.

But I guess Paul's problem really is, his other three tires are still like new -- so he probably doesn't want to have one different tire on his car with three stock Z-rated Michelins. Hard decision ... been there!

Paul, this is probably wishful thinking, but before you shell out big bucks for a new tire, find out if those expensive Michelins had any kind of road hazard warranty from the factory.

Meade
    that Paul should just get any old tire. he won't have the Jetta much longer. what does he care what the next owner of it thinks? ;)
  • cfilkinscfilkins Member Posts: 39
    We take delivery tonight on our 02 Jetta GLS 1.8T with monsoon and lux package. Anything special we should check for before taking it off the lot tonight? Bright green with beige interior - quite luxiourous on the inside.
    That totally makes sense to match tire. That actually is a very important feature when selling a car. Unfortunately, if the tire was stock, it will only be covered for defects from the factory, such as the recall that Ford had with the Firestone tires. I learned this the hard way with my Cherokee Sport. I got a sidewall puncture and went to the dealer and the tire company store (Goodyear) and they both said the same thing. Road hazard isn't on the OEM tires. What I have done ever since then is gotten a new car and taken it straight to Discount Tire. They will give you road hazard for about $8 a tire.
    Meade: THANKS for reminding me about the road hazard thing. I might at least be able to get a discount of some sort. I know I have something, I remember seeing the thingie in the glovbox. Also, I have only 14K and don't want a mismatched tire on the car right now. Had the same problem with my 99 Protege, but those tires were only $66.

Justin: I will have the Jetta until I pay it off, or someone decides to buy me a car. You game? If not, then there you go. Anyway.. :)
    You think $187 from TireRack is bad for the 225/45ZR17 tires? You ain't heard NOTHING yet! I called my local Goodyear, because I used to take my car there all the time. The manager called me back, and said the tire (on the rim and out the door) would cost me $323.99!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sam's Club said $283, and it was special order. I am going to call NTB and BJ's before deciding where to go.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Gotta love those 17's.....
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I think you need to talk to Paul (Vocus) before you drive that thing off the lot.

Meade
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    I did not know the Pilot tires are Z rated...I thought they were H or V. I mean the 1.8T is limited to 134mph. Vocus, it is funny because for the past few days my climate control lights would not come on until I hit a bump or smack the side of the dash. Also, I was trying to squeeze past a minivan and thought I could make it but the curb came out at a certain point and whack, my front right tire bounced off, luvkily however it did not blow out.
    Vocus,

I believe that you might be out of luck when it comes to road hazard or even pro-rating the tire for a new one. The reason is that tire are one of the few things that are not made or warrantied by the manufacturer. They are totally warranteed by the tire manufacturer and that warrantee is only good if the tire was built poorly. In otherwards, if they have a tire recall basically. I thought that the Jetta's did for one year didn't they? Either way, check out Discount Tire too, they are on the web and they also have stores around. I think the price that i saw on there was in the $180 range and if there is a store near you, they match the internet price.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    not that anyone cares, but the dealer just called. 10k service is done and the recall campaign is "complete"....i asked what that meant and he said there was no problem. that is that i guess.

i didn't like this particular service advisor this time. they better hope i don't get a survey in the mail....;)
  • erinjettaerinjetta Member Posts: 4
    hi,

I have a 2002 1.8T, i read about rear floor mat posts on tdiclub.com but my jetta doesnt have rear posts that hold the rear floor mats in place.
    Should the 1.8t jettas have these posts?

Also I read about the wheel lock key for alloy wheels What is a wheel lock key?
    I dont have one...
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The posts for the rear mats come with the car when delivered to dealer and sre to be installed during PDI. Some dealers do not install them. Yes your 1.8T should ideally have them. The VW's arrive with 5 standard lug nuts and during PDI one lug nut is to be removed on each wheel and a locking nut installed. The wheel lock key is to be placed in the foam tray that fits over the spare tire.
  • b1llydkidb1llydkid Member Posts: 1
    Picked up the new 2002 jetta GLI VR6 with 200 ponies...talk about a fun car to drive!!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    yes or no...

I got the molded floor mats from VW driver's gear (from the dealership), and for the rear, no provisions for the posts, just velcro.
  • sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    well, i just dropped my car off at Santa Monica VW for the ABS recall thing and to check the seat heaters....they seem to only work well on setting 5. i hope they can fix it, but the guy said that may be the way they were made. why would they work really well on other model years but then made to work not so well on the 2002s? it should be ready by 1230 though, so that's good.
    The seat heaters work on all settings in my car. I can turn it on "2" and still feel the seat get warm underneath me. On 5, it gets downright hot.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Mine work fine too. I put it on 2 for a comfortable warmth, and 5 can make you sweat. My wife has it on 5 most of the time. I think there's something wrong with her body temp.
    I put it on 5 for both front seats when my best friend and I get in the car. He always says it's fine for about 15 mins., then he says it's so hot he feels like he has Hot Cross buns. :)

My dad never cared about the seat heaters, until it was cold and his back hurt one day. I turned the heater on, and he said it made his back feel really good, so he switches the control on himself all the time when it's cold outside or whenever he has back pain.
    if i put the seat heaters on 3, i can't feel anything--it's heats up the same as if my own body heat had warmed the seat. on 1 and 2, nothing, and on four, only little. 5 is awesome though.....
    Something is wrong with them then.
    let me know what they say. mine do the same thing. they are fine according to the techs at the dealer. they use all of these diagnostic tools to check current and they check the switch too. on mine, it all checked out fine. i had a 99 Jetta and they worked on 1-5, as they should.

i figure, the only way to fix it is to get new seats. and that is not a good idea. they will just screw up something else when installing new seats. as long as they cook my body on cold days, it is fine. some cars only have heaters with ON and OFF, so i just pretend that is what i have too :)

please let me know if you get them fixed.

i know it is superstitious of me, but i figure, if my seat heater only works on 5, then that can be my Jetta "problem" that i can whine and complain about. i think if i get that fixed, then i will just get another problem. that scares me. everything on my car is perfect. :)
    yeah, the service guy was saying that other people complained about the same thing and that it's probably just the way they were made, but to me that's lame. if they're only going to heat well on one setting, then make only one setting, you know? I do agree with you justin, that as long as they work on 5 i'll be OK with it. that's the only setting i put it on anyway, because i like it HOT. : ) on the upside, the service guy seems cool so far, and i got right in and out when i dropped my car off this morning.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    Does anyone know what the dealer actually does to the ABS for the recall?
    luckily, i have my paper right here. it says:

"The electronic control unit of your VW's Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) could experience a short circuit which will electrically overload components within the unit causing overheating and melting of wire insulation which could result in fire."

eek. hope mine doesn't do that.
    When was the recall issued by VW? Was it for 2002 Jettas?
    I have a 2002 1.8T ...but havent received any info from VW about a recall...
    it was released in march, but i just got mine a couple weeks ago. yours is probably in the mail.
    Does it affect ALL 2002's or just those within a certain VIN range? Does it specify on the letter you got Sarah?
    The paper said it affects 2001-02 Jettas, but did not specify a VIN range if I remember correctly. I think they just sent you the paper if your car was one of them.

I got the paper in the mail already, and I bought my car in November, 2001 (a 2002), so they might have notified all the affected owners by now. At least I hope they would.
    It just says that the defect exists in some 2001 - 2002 model year Golfs, Jettas, GTIs, and Beetles.
    back from the dealer. they say my seat heaters are fine, and the reason i don't feel much heat on settings 1 - 3 is because the weather hear in sunny los angeles is not cold enough, and the ambient temperature matches the temperature the seats heat up to on those settings. thumbs down. i want more variety than just 5!!! oh well. they got my car done before the end of the day, and there's no trouble from the recall.
    That's crap! If the seats only heated up to the temperature outside, why would you need them in the winter? Come on, gimme a break.. :)
    ... hmmm i bought my jetta in march, hopefully i'll hear from VW soon, if not i'll call them...