Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "... is also 8000 times more fun for me than the 2002 325Ci with sport suspension, too. it actually requires some skillfull driving....the flat cornering cars take out too much of the fun factor."

Then you must really like the Chevy Malibu!
    "...take the Jetta any day and twice on Sunday over the Prelude's low seating position, cheap interior and bland styling. But that's just me..."

It sure is. I find the current Jetta styling VERY bland compared to our 1996. It just blends in with all the other jellybeans.
    "Come on. It was sarcastic: slaughtering a Prelude and out-cornering everything on the plant"

Please tell that he didn't believe you. C'mon!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Actually, the Buick Le Sabre is my car of choice for leaning through corners. I like to take the corners so fast in the Le Sabre that the wire hubcabs scrape the pavement and the Uniroyals are ready to dis-mount themselves from the steel wheels. Another great cornering vehicle is the old body style Ford F350 super duty turbo diesel dually. Those dual wheels in the back really help the grip and the diesel has excellent torque to pull you out of the corners. I tell ya, in the real world, I can go around ANY corner in the F350 just as fast as any other car out there. I used to do it every day when I worked at the Ford dealer.
    I will take on Blueguy's Astro van ANY day of the week.
    #5985 of 6005 vcjumper by blueguydotcom
    "Is it RWD? oops. LOL. I've never driven one. Never driven any minivan for that matter. Aren't most FWD now?"

That is the trouble today, not enough RWD cars.

About the only affordable ones left are Camaros, Mustangs, and Miatas.

I long for the days of the Cordoba, Magnum, Thunderbird, Capri, Lemans, Nova, etc.

Why can't they take all the knowledge they have today, and use it to make a fun, AFFORDABLE, 2 door, rear wheel drive car?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Most people prefer FWD for its efficient use of space, better traction, and handling. Those who don't know about how a RWD car handles don't really care which wheels drive it. I never knew the difference between the two until I gave my co-worker's 2000 323i a workout. What a sweet ride! :)
    Then you folks will LOVE http://www.beaterz.com/

look under "reviews" or "one liners".

LOL!

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    turbo+4 cylinders =
    6 cyl power with less fuel consumption than 6 cyl

Apparently you've haven't seen the fuel economy of the WRX.

turbo + 4 cylinder = 6 cyl power with fuel consumption of a 6 cyl
    It was one week yesterday that they had the car, no calls or anything. I don't know what's going on, but I am about to call now about it.

I wish VW would get off the pot. But after all the trouble I have had with this car, I don't want to chance another one. They can keep them.

Interestingly, I talked to someone on AOL the other night who has a 2000 GLX. He said it has 16K on it, and it's been in the shop like 20 times already. He said the AC went up, the tranny died, the wheel bearing went bad, etc. I felt really bad for him, but I was then glad that my only problems were rattles. Luck counts when buying a car though. There are good and bad cars of all kinds.
    But the WRX has the power of an 8 cylinder engine with the fuel economy of a 6, if you really think about it.
    Anyone know of a source for axle beam bushings for a 1996 Jetta GL? Preferably urethane, performance type.

Also, how to do it?
    Our local shop says they can mount the part, but don't have a machine to press out the old bushing and the new one in.

Anyone else have this problem? It causes a BIG BIG clunking over bumps, even with new struts.
    #6009 of 6014 RWD... by vocus

"Most people prefer FWD for its efficient use of space"

I prefer more room in the engine compartment myself.

"..., better traction, and handling."

Huh???? THOSE are EXACTLY the reasons I'd prefer the RWD!!!!!!

" Those who don't know about how a RWD car handles don't really care which wheels drive it."

Probably true, unfortunately.

" I never knew the difference between the two until I gave my co-worker's 2000 323i a workout. What a sweet ride! :) "

My 1978 Dodge Magnum had a 318, and probably made 150 HP new, 120 when I sold it, and got maybe 17MPG. But, it rode nice, and was sure fun to power through the corners! Eventually, rust did it in. I bought a 1985 Corolla as a replacement. Much different experience.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is 'safer' for street driving because of its tendency to understeer when pressed, which is much easier to correct than an oversteer from a RWD car. Understeer is also more desirable in wet conditions (again ease of recovery), hence FWD is preferred.

but in terms of pure performance handling and fun factor, FWD is BAD, and RWD reigns supreme....
    Nobody has mentioned that FWD cars are cheaper to manufacture. I'm sure that is a HUGE reason for the abundance of FWD cars.
    Yes, but note from my original posting:

"Why can't they take all the knowledge they have today, and use it to make a fun, AFFORDABLE, 2 door, rear wheel drive car?"

Emphasis on the AFFORDABLE was in the original. Why must we suffer?
    I think right now, the car that fills that bill is the Miata. I see what you are saying though. Every car I've owned (except for the Mustang) I wished were RWD. I thought my Integra would be absolutely awesome were it RWD. I wish my Protege ES was RWD with 50 more hp. Mazda could build in on a stretched Miata chassis. That would be one pimpin' little 4 door that even less people would buy. ;0
    I wrote a certified letter to VWoA and sent it Friday, talked to them about the car, and have been talking with the dealership about it as well. They said today they still have NOT found out what's making the noise in the rear of my car though, and do not know when it will be done.

I talked to a lawyer today on the phone, and he said he didn't really need to get involved at this point, because I did everything that he would have done already. He did tell me to feel free to call him back if I needed him though.

I hope this is resolved, and they buy my car back. I know everyone gets tired of my rantings on this board, but put yourself in this position. I am sure everyone (or almost everyone) would feel the same way if they were making a payment on a 7-month old car that sits in the shop more than it sits in front of their own house.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i hate to sound "cold", but jeez, do you realize that you are assigning all of your issues and problems to a car? a car that runs and performs fine. a car that, yes, has a RATTLE or three.

i know in here, with all of these whiners and complainers, you are getting loads of sympathy. but in the real world, i think people would think you are indeed making this way too hard on yourself..
    Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. Everyone that I have talked to about this totally agrees with me. Even the lawyer I spoke with (and yes, I did tell him what was wrong with the car). And we will see if VWoA agrees or not.

Also, I am not making it hard on myself at all. I am trying to get what is pretty much due to me as a consumer.

If anyone thinks this is whining, then that's their opinion. And opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.
    "but in the real world"

He actually means Planet Justin, not the real world. Justin seems to offer a lot of advice regarding the "real world". Justin's reality isn't necessarily everyone else's reality though. Just my 2 cents.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Vocus, if VWOA accepts to buy your car back, do not expect a full refund offer at first. I think that if they agree to get your car back, they will swap you for another VW model....think about if this is what you actually want to do in case they comeback with that kind of offer.

Be prepared also to have mileage deducted from the final settlement. Depending upon state law, the manufacturer can deduct mileage in the order of $.20 to $.30 per mile. The clincher here is to make sure they deduct mileage below the first reported dealer visit. For this reason it is crucial that you keep all your paperwork in order and up to date.

If VWOA in the end refuses to buy back or swap the car, then you need to get rid of it and take a hit on a trade in. Again, let this be a valuable lesson to you. Just think all the money you have spent alone in cars. Also realize that money could have been better invested into savings, CDs, bonds, etc.

You are very young. Start saving for your retirement NOW, not when you are 65.

Best of luck.
  • bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    "If VWOA in the end refuses to buy back or swap the car, then you need to get rid of it and take a hit on a trade in."

Why does he need to get rid of it, especially if wasting money is a main issue? OTOH, I have no first-hand knowledge of how unbearable the rattles are. Without dumping additional money in, he'll be driving a $15K car. I'll take a "loaded" Jetta with 15K miles and 2-3 rattles over a new $15K car.
    There is no way I am going to trade the car in and take a hit on it. That's not an option right now. If they don't give me another car or a full refund (I would rather have a refund), then I will have to keep it. But at that point, I would get my lawyer involved.

And with the mileage, these problems started at ~4500 miles. I have EVERY piece of paper from this car since the day I bought it, and have made copies for VWoA. I sent that letter before. I have opened a case with them back in April about this car.

The dealer called me today and told me that they found the thing making the noise in the back (finally). Figures, they slam the barn door shut after the horse ran out already. Too little, too late.
    It is just the way these cars are made. Poor assembly I think is partly to blame. Questionnable design and fit of interior trim pieces is perhaps what makes up the other half. Poor assembly is easier to correct than cost cutting and design issues.

If in the end VW refuses to buyback the car, get rid of it. You'll never be happy with the thing. Once you hate a car is very difficult if not impossible to regain trust in it again. It is not worth it.

I hope your lawyer makes a good Lemon case. Since rattles are merely annoyances (But not safety issues) don't expect an easy resolution to this. Your best argument is to say that the rattles dimish the value of the car to would be buyers of your Jetta. If you present the rattles as a safety related issue, then expect to have the suit flushed quicker than a running toilet.

If I were you I would no again for another VW. But if you must, pick a Passat by all means.
    I drove all of the VWs as loaner cars, and I found the Jetta to be the most comfortable. I would definitely have to get another Jetta because it's the only one I like.

And as far as assembly quality, someone in the Protege forum used to work on the port in Ca. where the VWs come in. He said 38% of them had assembly defects when arriving, the most popular being broken/missing dashboard clips (one of the problems with my car). I find this astounding.

I definitely will go for the value thing (I was going to anyway) in the case. Who in their right mind would buy a used car if they found out in was in the shop 8 times in 7 months? Not me.

Also, if they do not buy it back, I will get rid of it sooner or later. I would try to sell it privately first though, because I would get the most money for it that way. But this would be a little down the road, like I said.
    i hear what you are saying. but no matter how many people agree with you, no matter what you think too, are you HAPPY RIGHT NOW? HAVE YOU BEEN HAPPY RECENTLY? based on your posts, i would say NO.

here on Planet Justin (otherwise known as Prima Donna as someone said), your happiness should come above all else. :)
    Planet Justin?

Planet Jetta?

Beam me up, Dr, Piech!
    Is vocus unhappy because his Jetta is a POS?
    Or is he unhappy because he incorrectly thinks his Jetta is a POS?

So should he get rid of his Jetta so he can be happy again?
    Or should he keep the Jetta, get on Planet Justin and be happy again?
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    And on this planet are there atleast Passats, GTI's, and soon to be Phaetons ?? hahahahahah

Vocus, what the hay, get as much as you can, not to mention have you ever wondering how many times the dealer mechanics ripped apart your dashboard, interior door panels, etc just to find this rattle? They probably CAUSED one or two of them .... hmmmmmmmmm, a previous poster had a good point though, wouldnt you rather drive a "nice" Jetta with a few rattles and creaks than a 15k new car? Drive with the radio on ?
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Are you concerned at all about how many times your Jetta has been taken apart and put back together?

~Carrie
    If I remember correctly, vocus always drives with the radio on (and at max. volume no less) and the moonroof and windows wide open unless he's using the cell phone or it's raining etc., so the rattles must be really bad.
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    "If I remember correctly, vocus always drives with the radio on (and at max. volume no less) and the moonroof and windows wide open unless he's using the cell phone or it's raining etc., so the rattles must be really bad"

hahahahahaha
    - he obviously didnt get the Monsoon option.

Vocus - have you checked under your seat for foreign objects that might be making noise? - Old french fries from the drive-in, some pens, loose change?
    I am concerned about that. I will see how the car "sounds" when they call me to come and get it.
    I do have the Monsoon option, and no matter how loud that sucker is, I CAN HEAR THAT RATTLE! It's not necessarily loud, but very annoying. Like plastic rubbing or something. That is annoying no matter what you try to drown it out with.

And if this car is fixed right this time, I definitely can be happy with the car. I have wanted a Jetta every since the 199.5 models came out, so I am definitely happy with the car. It's the noises I am not happy with.

And I think the build quality sucks, but I don't think the car is a POS.

But I know if this car rattles when I pick it up, it's going right back to them and I will remove everything (including the tags) this time. I am not standing for this crap anymore.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    do you really think the jetta is more comfortable than the passat? i know you had a passat as one of your many loaner cars so i would think you would have a better perspective than me. if i had a bigger budget for a car i might of went with the passat 1.8t.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Paul, you hate being quoted so be careful what you type. You want to use diminished value in your Lemon Law case yet you just typed on June 21st

"If I do get tired of this car and sell it, I can pretty much sell it real close to what I owe on it and get it (VWs are very popular in the MD/DC area), so it won't be a great loss."

That doesn't sound like diminished value to me. Even if it's taken out of context, lawyers have a way with making things work for them. You don't know who at VW might read these boards. Your dealer might for all you know.

Even though after reading the law, I don't think you meet it, I'd at least like to see you make a good case and have a chance to win. But statements like the above don't help you at all.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I received a customer service survey from my dealer last night about my service experience with them trying to find my rattle in my dash. She asked if I was happy and I said that they were very sincere in attempting to find my rattle, but the rattle still exists. She apologized and said the dealer would get back in touch with me. It will be interesting to see if they actually call me.

I have resorted to turning up my radio to drown out my dash rattle. Though I do not think it is as bad as Vocus's. It is annoying but it does not make me hate my Jetta. Thougn smoetimes it really gets to me. I believe it will be fixed eventually and I will just enjoy my ride until then.
    It was a customer service CALL by the way!!

Soory...just wanted to clarify
  • drmillhousdrmillhous Member Posts: 16
    Congrats, maybe you're worries are finally over. I agree not to pay attention to those who say rattles are nothing. My rattles drive me nuts!
    Did they tell you what the cause was?
  • winsanwinsan Member Posts: 36
    Right, fish8, just enjoy your jetta. Mine has some rattles, but they seem come and go by themselves. I don't bother the rattles - I don't think it's really bad. As long as I am not stucked in the middle of nowhere because of mechanical failure, well, I can live with those rattles.
    Yes, my rattles seem to come and go too. I believe they give my car character....well, not really it just sounds good.
    please, keep in mind what i have said in the past, and what some others here are saying now.

the more you let them keep your car, the MORE rattles you can be sure to have. taking dashboards apart is not actually supposed to happen. there is no way that some of these stupid car dealer mechanics are going to put it back together correctly.....

maybe a visit to the Dr. for some Paxil!! my boss finally got on it and he is carefree now :) haha.
    "...She asked if I was happy and I said that they were very sincere..."

You probably would get better results if you'd said "NO!".
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    ROFLMAO! Thanks for the laugh! :)

~Carrie
    We'll see!!
    ROFLMAO?
    "Rolling on the floor, laughing my [non-permissible content removed] off". :)
    It made no sense to me, but they said it was a seam or something in the back that was causing all this noise. The front door panels were also rattling, but they said they fixed those and I would be "very satisfied". The dash molding was still sticking out from before, and they fixed that too.

I have a bad feeling they forgot to fix the lights behind the climate control though. It's always something that they forget. It would be hilarious if I went to get the car and it was all fixed, but those lights. :)
    I never thought about what you said. The car would be worth almost what I owe on it (~$3000 difference maybe), but if someone checked into the service records of the car, it would be very hard to sell. I don't really want to deceive anyone either, because my conscience would eat me up for the rest of my life.