Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    My old 88 Jetta would have that issue once in a while - usually when I had a non-VW oil filter installed. I remember a VW tech saying that non-VW filters (even Fram) did not technically meet the proper specs (he may have been full of crap). It did not happen all the time, but I do not believe it ever occurred with a VW filter.

Also, make sure you do not have too much oil. I accidentally did that once.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    hey guys, don't have time to read all 94 posts! 94! you people are BUSY in here. but i saw sarah's, and I agree. why spend 5-10k more on a car that looks and drives almost the same as my car?

i take it one step further. SAVE money, get a loaded VW that has all of the performance safety and quality (in my case so far anyway) of the stripper BMW, M-B, Volvo, etc.

When (and if) I can afford to, I will be buying an E class Mercedes. Cheesy to buy the lowest model in a class that is all about the benjamins. even if i liked an A4, i would have a hard time, cause people would think i was just too poor for the far superior A6 :) lets face it - people don't buy 3 series BMW cause they want to, they buy them because they can't afford a 5 :) excusing the 330Ci convertible of course. i would take one on of those. heck, even a 325 convertible would be acceptable :)

i WANT a convertible. but i really also want four somewhat usable seats i think. that leaves the BMW, and soon the Audi A4 Cabrio. thats it! maybe a used C70....
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    on the door dings

to the guy that kicks doors...i know you! hehe.

Even if the paint matches, even if you saw them get out of their car, slam the door into your car and walk away, throwing a lit cigarette on your hood while talking on a cell phone...you still have no legal or social justification for reacting with an eye for an eye or any violence. That is the way things get ugly, the reasons why road rage kills, and the reasons why I hate going out places. It is that instant anger that we all get when we are crossed, that moment of irrational thought (longer for some than others) that encourages us to behave so poorly makes a fool out of us all...

Just think how you might feel if you were the victim of someone else's irrational anger...it is unpleasant - to say the least. I know.

As much as it sucks, legal channels exist to protect us from ourselves and from the other guy. What if you are about to kick in that door, matching paint to ding...and as you reel off a good whack, he is coming down the lane, bad mood and all. You can't assure yourself of who he/she is, what they are capable of and to what lengths they might go to retaliate...so just leave it alone.

If I come out and see someone kicking my door, I am gonna be mad, but hoping not already mad enough about other stuff to keep my cool. If I call the police, prevent him from leaving or record his license number and let him leave, then file the report...he is the criminal, I am the victim.

If I get mad and attack him, someone else calls the police, I am arrested for assault (not reasonable to use excessive force to protect valuables, nor to retaliate with violence an act of vandalism. I would rather be sitting and chatting peacefully with the cops and watching the other guys shake a bit, then sitting in the back with handcuffs around my wrists. No matter how cool a person you are...you just look guilty and stupid in a pair of handcuffs.

Think about that - and match it up, then call the cops and take down his information. They won't likely come down, but they may be able to help you process the claim. Hopefully, they will arrive in time to help you confront the person, hopefully assuring you get money to repair your damages...but don't count on it.

On the carelessness angle...of course door dings are a result of carelessness. That is what an accident is!!!! Accidents are caused by carelessness: failure to be alert, failure to hold the door, failure to properly judge distance as you make a tight turn on a crowded city street, failure to use the brake when you are parralel parking. Accidents happen because of carelessness and failure to pay attention...how else do they happen? So every door ding should be accidental, and therefor blameless to some degree, at least enough to prevent one from kicking in their door to retaliate.

Sure, some people are just plain sad...purposely doing things, and they deserve punishment...but we don't get vigilanty justice without a cost.

or am I wrong?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    >>When (and if) I can afford to, I will be buying an E class Mercedes. <<

E? Come on, go bling bling and get the S! :) MB makes some nice looking vehicles now. The SL is downright sexy.

>>even if i liked an A4, i would have a hard time, cause people would think i was just too poor for the far superior A6 :)<<

Hmm, strange I wouldn't think that. I'd figure you value performance and fun over staid, roomy and restrained. Nothing wrong with an A4. It's a slick little car and when you get the S you're in compact sedan heaven. Yowsers what a fun car.

>> lets face it - people don't buy 3 series BMW cause they want to,<<

Justin, should we cross-post this to the 3 series topics? Talk about hate mail. :) Some people favor the smaller, more agile, quicker 3 over the bulkier, slower, less responsive 530/540. I do. The 5's nice (the M5 is the uber-sedan) but it's not as attractive visually to me, it's too large and it doesn't offer that razor sweetness. I'd bet many 3 series owners would agree. Many can easily afford a 5 but choose the 3 for other intangibles.

>> they buy them because they can't afford a 5 :) <<

The cross post would get you killed. :)

>>i would take one on of those. heck, even a 325 convertible would be acceptable :)<<

Nice, smooth car.

>>i WANT a convertible. but i really also want four somewhat usable seats i think. that leaves the BMW, and soon the Audi A4 Cabrio. thats it! maybe a used C70.... <<

Yeah it's a short list if you want performance, comfort, luxury and 4 seats sans roof. What about a Bentley? LOL

For me I'm still stuck loving the 3 series design (99-01 - I hate the look of the 02s), but fearing the reliability. The more I read about the G35 coupe, the more convinced I am that I should save my nickels for a December purchase.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    At work, there are 3 BMWs. A 2000 323i, a 2002 5401, and a 1999 740 (I think it is). I like the 3 the best, and it's the only one I drove thus far. It's pretty nice, but I think the 1.8T could dust it though. It seemed slow to me when I drove it.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "The police are NOT there to protect you! You are responsible for yourselves. The police are only notetakers for after a crime has happened"

why do you think they take notes for? i hope it's for more than insurance purposes. perhaps they want to gather information along with information from similar incidents that would provide clues to who the criminal is which would eventually lead to the criminal's capture which would prevent further vandalism. hence, the police would be protecting us.
    small car does not necessary equate to economy car. the jetta (1.8t/vr6) drives like a near luxury car and has the interior decor of a near luxury car. and it sure isn't priced like an economy car either. vocus makes a little negative comment about his previous protege and the envious protege enthusiasts come out of the woodwork to say the jetta is an economy car just like their car. very funny.
    "The police are NOT there to protect you! You are responsible for yourselves. The police are only notetakers for after a crime has happened"

Well, that flies in the face of the SDPD's motto "To protect and serve."

Hmmm, I pay the police to protect my property. In fact in a lockean view (Locke heavily influenced the founders) the gov't exists to do a few things and one of those is to "protect private property."

Personally, I'd prefer if they wouldn't protect my Jetta.
    the new iteration of the 1.8t may be quieter than the 150hp version. doesn't the increased boost mean less exhaust (isn't that where the additional boost comes from?) coming out and therefore less exhaust noise? the engine starts out sounding like a small four cylinder then the nice refined smooth turbo sound takes over. if it sounds like i don't know what i'm talking about, i'll take your word for it. well whatever, my 1.8t is noticelby quieter than my last vr6 when cruising at high speeds. same rpms, just less exhaust boom. not quiet enough to not irritate you after a long trip though. you're up late, even for west coast time.
    I've taken 2002 1.8Ts out. They turn lower RPM at 90 than my 01 1.8T but the engine's still noisy to me. The 02s are definitely smoother and more linear in power delivery though.

To be honest, I find most vehicles to be quite a racket though...I long for advent of cars that are whisper quiet and we don't even hear tire noise.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    The MB E series may be nice, but the maintenance on that thing will kill you. My parents have one and it costs a fortune to maintaine. My dad said he would never buy another and would stick with Lexus. I think they replaced the brakes (front pads) on her E320 at about 18k miles. Which according to the service dept is commen for that car.
    Have you ever driven in a Lexus LS 400/430 or GS? They are whisper guiet. The GS400 is fast as all get out, but it is a tad on the boring side.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Just think how you might feel if you were the victim of someone else's irrational anger...it is unpleasant"

I am talking about door dings. I would never be "the victim of someone else's irrational anger" with regard to door dings because I DON'T DING DOORS! I don't even put myself in a situation where I might ding a door. If I can't park and get out without possibly dinging a door, I find another parking spot. If I happen to "accidently" ding someone's door, I will leave a note and offer to pay for the damage. It's really pretty simple. If everybody else could figure this out, the world would be a better place.

"On the carelessness angle...of course door dings are a result of carelessness. That is what an accident is!!!!"

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear about this. IMO, door dings are an act of negligence, and carelessness. With regard to my door kicking incident, the ding that the person left was HUGE. HUGE dings ARE NOT ACCIDENTS! They are the result of wrecklessly swinging open your door without any thought given that there might be a car next to them.
    Ever heard that 2 wrongs don't make a right? Well it's true.

And how about that passerby with a cell phone who sees you kick the car who dinged your door? What are you going to tell the cops when they come after you because that person called and gave your license plate number and reported you?
    I have heard other people say that the Jetta is an economy car. The Golf is VW's economy car in the US lineup, anyone knows that. The Jetta is their mid-line sedan. The Passat, their top line.
    "And how about that passerby with a cell phone who sees you kick the car who dinged your door? What are you going to tell the cops when they come after you because that person called and gave your license plate number and reported you?"

That's the chance I take I guess. Believe me, when I kicked that door, I was very careful and tried to make sure no one else was looking. I don't know many people who live by the "two wrongs don't make a right" philosophy. They may claim to live by that, but few people do. I'm not the kind of guy who "turns the other cheek". Sorry.
    I know how someone hitting your car on purpose would make you feel. When I bought my 2001 Protege, someone hit my car when it was parked in front of my house and left a scratch up the side. The car was only 3 WEEKS old! I was very upset, but I couldn't do anything about it but call the police. Had I known who hit the car and took off, I still would have called the police and reported them, leaving it in the cops' hands. It wouldn't make me feel any better by damaging their car in the long run. I am also not going to take the chances involved with that either.

Keep in mind, you might not see them, but someone is always watching.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    if you really desire a nice quiet ride, that's where Toyota comes in. One of the reasons why Toyota does well with the point A to point B market.
    I am sure he wants a tranquil ride, but he doesn't wanna fall asleep at the wheel! :)
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "i WANT a convertible. but i really also want four somewhat usable seats i think. that leaves the BMW, and soon the Audi A4 Cabrio. thats it! maybe a used C70.... "

Sounds like you want a Maurauder!

5 adult seats, convertible!
    "...which would eventually lead to the criminal's capture which would prevent further vandalism. hence, the police would be protecting us."

The police are there to keep law and order in society. They do NOT watch out for individuals.

I stand behind my original statement. The police are NOT there to protect you! You are responsible for yourselves.
    "Well, that flies in the face of the SDPD's motto "To protect and serve.""

Hey, I can have anything printed on the side of my car also.

"Hmmm, I pay the police to protect my property."

You do? They are there 24 hours a day watching your car?

"In fact in a lockean view (Locke heavily influenced the founders) the gov't exists to do a few things and one of those is to "protect private property." "

There is case law to the contrary. The police ARE NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOU OR YOUR JETTA (on topic connection here!)

here is your homework:

http://www.guncontrolvictories.com/gc_nopolice.html

http://digital.net/~kenaston/Patr/PoliceNotLiable.html

http://www.totse.com/en/law/justice_for_all/policeno.html

Dial 911 and Die

http://www.jpfo.org/dial911anddie.htm

http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/s_protection.jpg

"Personally, I'd prefer if they wouldn't protect my Jetta."

They don't!

Two dings don't make a right!

:-)
    Anyone in here with the 2.0 engine have problems with oil consumption? I have the 2.0 with 2,000 miles and my Jetta has not used any oil. Am I lucky or should I give it time?
    My wife has a 1996 with the 2.0.

Just recently, I noticed a little blue smoke on startup. Haven't checked the oil level lately. Will likely do that tomorrow (Saturday).
  • sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    here's my shortened view on what the police are here for:

basically, police are largely a REACTIVE entity--i.e., you call the department, and officers respond. of course, the officers patrolling are proactively looking for things, but they can't be everywhere at once and if they don't know something's happening, they can't do anything about it. when you report that someone left a huge dent in the side of your jetta, even if your particular case is not solved, the data you give (time, place location, suspect info, etc.) is helpful. the more information that comes in gives a clearer picture of what kinds of things are really happening in the community. after the information is analyzed, the agency can become PROACTIVE and come up with a plan to address the particular problems of the community.

before everyone jumps on me about how the police suck, i admit it's not perfect, and there are a lot of things that factor into how the job gets done. but some agencies really do try to assist the community and address their needs.
  • sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    i don't think my mom has had many problems with hers. (none of that window stuff anyway.) i remember she had to do something with the clutch, and maybe one other small thing, but that's it. my friends have a '97 2.0 and i don't think they've had any problems either.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    We're on the topic, many agencies are using a community policing model wherein the community and the police work together to remedy existing problems and also to prevent crime from happening.

I agree that police are mostly reactionary. They have to be. Nobody knows when exactly crime will happen...they can only a) work to prevent it and b) act when it happens.

You can't blame the police for not chasing down somebody that dinged your car. Think of the larger picture...your car ding vs. somebody running a red light, causing a major MVA. Door dings are very low on the list of priorities.

Police don't suck. That's all I'm going to say about that.
    roll up windows working just fine.

the fuel pump failed, leaving my wife (then girlfriend) stuck in an unknown neighborhood at night. .... UNDEPENDABLE VW!!!!

doing tires tonight or tomorrow. standard wear items.

doing exhaust and brakes next Wednesday. it's getting there in years.

needs rear axle beam bushings. ...SHODDY VW!!!!!
    That is why I said people have to be responsible for their own protection and safety. It is just common sense stuff.

No, I do NOT support vigilantism or revenge acts.
    Funny face. :)
    Egad, you people are evil. Toyota?! Why not just tear out my heart right now? :) I want whisper quiet and fun. It's a pipe dream...

As for the protect thing...sorry but in the Lockean mold the government exists to encourage commerce, provide infrastructure and protect private property (that doesn't mean camping by it 24/7 - it means an effective military, police force, laws, prisons, punishments, etc.). The cops can't be around my house all the time but they can patrol often, they can aggresively follow-up on crimes and prosecutors can send up the baddies for a long, long time...all of this helps to protect my property. The mere presence of a cop is only a cog in the machine.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's leave be the debate over ethics and the role of the police department.

If you really want to pursue it, why don't you go to the Meet the Members topic in your Owners Club -- any subject is welcome there (of course subject to your Membership Agreement).

We need to remember that this is not a social chat board for folks who happen to (or happen not to) own a Jetta.

It is a Town Hall discussion provided for folks to discuss their *vehicles* and directly-related issues, as well as a place for folks interested in the Jetta to ask questions and find a knowledge base.

On the other hand, you are welcome to use the Meet the Members discussion as a social chat board -- that is exactly its purpose! :)

Thanks for your understanding.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    THANKS PAT!!! I was biting my tongue....
  • winsanwinsan Member Posts: 36
    I guess 2.0 engine tends to 'consume' oil, although it varies from engine to engine .. heck, I don't know why ...

My engine worked fine until about 9k miles. That's when I had to add some oil (around 10 cu. in). My friend's car consumed more oil when it was 9k.

I guess you just have to wait for some more miles. Just watch the oil stick!
    "add some oil (around 10 cu. in.) What does that mean?
    anonymous, my previous car was 1990 mazda 323 hatchback, and I had to replace the clutch cable every two year. When I first got that experience, I was in nowhere neighborhood at night, and I had to use 2nd gear all way long to my office.
    Another time the ignition system was suddenly dead when I took off from the stop light (at night also ...). Those two happened when it was 6 years old. And the next year, the front left suspension was broken so that I had to tow the car to my friend's shop.

So can I say that mazda is not dependable?
    I checked the oil stick and I found that it needed more oil. I added around 10 cu.in oil - I used valvoline 5w30 and there is indicator at the side of the bottle.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Again, folks, you may take the ethics, police, door ding, etc. conversation to Meet the Members, but it needs to stop in this discussion.

Winsan, it seems to me that you may say your one Mazda was not dependable, and leave it at that. Somehow mention of Mazda anything throws this discussion into a turmoil, so if you have further comments to make, please go to an appropriate Mazda discussion or comparison discussion.

And you lurkers wanting to defend the Mazda, just skip it this time, okay. ;)

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I don't know what you're talking about. I'm here to talk about my (by association :) ) '91 Jetta GL and VW in all its glory.
    sorry pat!
    I went to lunch with a friend today. I ended up picking him up at his job, because I had the AC on in my car already and it's like 100 here today. :) So we came out of the restaurant, and I had to enter this busy 2-lane highway with a speed limit of ~50 (people end up going more though). I got an open space, and tromped it. My friend was like, "dang, lemme pick myself up out of the back seat". :) He was like, what do you have under the hood in this thing? That was too funny, and I didn't even floor the pedal either. :)
    I really need to drive the 180 hp 1.8T. I have driven the 150 hp version and it's quick, but nothing spectacular. I guess the turbo cars that I have had experience with aren't fair to compare to the Jetta 1.8T (modified GN and a couple souped up Eclipses). The Eclipses were really fast, but they had that Mitsubishi-ness to them. The GN was plain old nuts with a turbo that will split your eardrums open, and dare I say it, almost TOO fast. That car could literally put you in the back seat. It was so frightening, that they could include that GN at any Six Flags amusement park and make their roller coasters feel like the Ferris wheel.
  • jborden1jborden1 Member Posts: 12
    Well we picked up my sister's new silver jetta 1.8t. It sure is fun to drive, and I was just in it at night and the bluish dash lights are awesome. It feels comparable to my dad's lexus GS430. I know that's in a different league but when you push the pedal it feels very similar. One thing I am confused about is that the audi tt with the same engine only has to have oil changed every 10,000 miles while the jetta is 5,000, I believe?

Anyway I hope the jetta holds up well because my sister does not take care of anything.
    I need to drive the 150hp version of the 1.8T. I keep hearing these things about it, so I need to find a used Jetta and try one out to compare.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Can you get an 03 Jetta GLS TDI with factory leather and no roof? In the sedan? In the wagon? I hear that 03 GLS wagons come standard with the roof now. Is this true and is it also true for the sedans? I don't want the roof because I like the extra head room. Thanks.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    For 02, in order to get the leather package, you gotta get the luxury package.....so for 03....probably going to be the same
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    In 2002 you had the option of getting leather without having luxury package on both the Jetta Sedan and Wagon. I have seen several of these with my own eyes. For 2003 the GLS comes standard with sunroof. If you want leather then you must get GLS trim with the standard sunroof.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    with the TT you get a BMW-esque oil change interval that is suited to your driving. it tells you when you need an oil change based on your driving style i believe.

all for a VW engine. fancy!

my instructor who drives a 2000 528 AND a 98 LS400 told me today that he is looking at a commuting car, and that after seeing my car, he is smitten. all that luxury and safety for $20k. he doesn't even know how it is possible. of course, i said he can have it - i will be glad to take the used LS400 off his hands.

BLUE - talk about silent cars. driven the granddaddy Lexus?

also - just helped a friend out of a Mini and into a Golf. saved him thousands, got him better performance, and blue lights. my good deed for the year :)

this board is busy busy busy all of the sudden. whats up? i can't keep up!
    Huh? Doesn't the mini easily out-handle a Golf? And I know the Golf doesn't come with a good engine anymore (no 1.8T in 02), so how is it a better performer?